Type keyword(s) to search

All In With Chris Hayes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I have divorced myself from MSNBC except for Chris Hayes.  He's mostly a great blend of serious and snarky.

I'm also loving Mehdi Hasan on Peacock. Great guests and commercial free.

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 3

Watching Chris interview the Republican mayor of Oklahoma City, I'm reminded that Chris remains one of the few MSNBC anchors who can and does routinely get Republicans as guests.  There must be something about his style that doesn't get their partisan hackles up.

• Love 3

I finally had to mute Chris hyperventilating over stimulus checks being cut for, say, single people earning $80K. As someone who used to earn close to that, I can tell you that at that level you would barely notice another $1400 in the bank. The perfect can be the enemy of the good, after all. Usually I appreciate his passion but I think it was misdirected on this one.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, FoundTime said:

I finally had to mute Chris hyperventilating over stimulus checks being cut for, say, single people earning $80K. As someone who used to earn close to that, I can tell you that at that level you would barely notice another $1400 in the bank. The perfect can be the enemy of the good, after all. Usually I appreciate his passion but I think it was misdirected on this one.

I turned him off.  And I'm officially poor these days, so there's no doubt I'll qualify for the $1400.  When Chris turns into outraged crusading liberal, I have to go elsewhere.

• Love 2

I'm a little fuzzy on the current requirements but the original checks were based on previous year's tax returns. So just because you earned 75k in 2019 didn't mean you might not be hurting in 2020. Whether that is still true, I couldn't say but it made sense to me at the time. 

I think it's going to take a while for the media to find a balance though. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

I'm a little fuzzy on the current requirements but the original checks were based on previous year's tax returns. So just because you earned 75k in 2019 didn't mean you might not be hurting in 2020. Whether that is still true, I couldn't say but it made sense to me at the time. 

That's what I've found out so far in regards to who's receiving checks. Depending on when the bill finally gets passed on both sides the date is what's key in regards to what years tax returns end up being used.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2021 at 11:52 AM, tessaray said:

You're right, Tessaray, that is the argument for distributing the checks across the board. Lord knows there are people who were doing quite nicely in 2019 who were cut loose because of COVID in 2020 and would greatly appreciate the check.

The problem I think I had with this particular segment was that it seemed to assume that different people weren't in different circumstances. I  feel like I'm hearing more and more stories about people who never lost their jobs in the last year and now have quite a nice bundle of savings socked away -- which includes their stimulus checks, which aren't stimulating anything.

I guess I prefer Chris's outrage to be directed to something about which I,  too, am outraged 😆

• Love 3
4 hours ago, FoundTime said:

I  feel like I'm hearing more and more stories about people who never lost their jobs in the last year and now have quite a nice bundle of savings socked away -- which includes their stimulus checks, which aren't stimulating anything.

Maybe instead of the direct deposit I received, everyone should have gotten the debit card that my daughter received, but with no option to take cash out.  So you would either have to spend it or lose it. 

I had to turn Chris off again last night in mid-rant.  I find, since the inauguration, less and less reason to sit through MSNBC programming, now that the Republic is in safer hands.

• Love 2
On 3/6/2021 at 6:33 AM, FoundTime said:

The problem I think I had with this particular segment was that it seemed to assume that different people weren't in different circumstances. I  feel like I'm hearing more and more stories about people who never lost their jobs in the last year and now have quite a nice bundle of savings socked away -- which includes their stimulus checks, which aren't stimulating anything.

Perhaps they aren't spending it right now, because of various restrictions still on the economy, but that doesn't mean they won't spend it once they are able to travel, or feel comfortable eating out in restaurants again.

On 3/4/2021 at 6:40 AM, FoundTime said:

maybe you'll barely notice it in your account, but that doesn't mean others won't notice it.  I know a lot of people who are now just over that threshold that could have used a portion of the stimulus, and certainly would have spent it this year.  so that's less money they have to help the economy.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Hanahope said:

maybe you'll barely notice it in your account, but that doesn't mean others won't notice it.  I know a lot of people who are now just over that threshold that could have used a portion of the stimulus, and certainly would have spent it this year.  so that's less money they have to help the economy.

Please note that in my original post I said I used to earn close to $80K. At this point I am very grateful for that $1400.

I hope everyone who receives a stimulus check will exercise wisdom with it 😌

I am glad that Chris got the week off, and hope he is having good family time.  But the replacement anchor, who has filled in for Chris previously, has *such* an invasive voice, more than loud, and aggressive in tone.  He is one of the few anchors I just cannot listen to.  

• Love 1
On 1/4/2021 at 2:39 AM, possibilities said:

His twitter is much more unleashed than his broadcast, and heavily into the snark zone. I like it.

Chris is even more snarky when he shows up as a guest on Seth Meyers. It's great. 😊🤣😂

• Love 1

Here's a young Chris in a video clip he showed last week. The clip was taken in the early/mid 1990s at his school's drama class. The kid filming? A classmate named Lin Manuel Miranda. 😎😊

1619745898460_n_hayes_linmanuel_210429_1920x1080.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

• Love 6