Type keyword(s) to search

All In With Chris Hayes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ha!  Chris talking about the special election in AZ 8 tomorrow, and highlighting it with a picture of a strip mall in Sun City that is literally across the street from my house.  I just called my daughter in and asked her if she recognized the location by the picture, and of course she did.  I just wish Chris wouldn't automatically paint Sun City with the Joe Arpaio brush, as there's a lot more to Maricopa County than just us old farts.  

• Love 3

Boy howdy, Chris's interview with Valerie Valentino was Tree. Men. Dous. I was glad he let her ease into some of Rachel's time.

It was.  I was getting a little worried about the time but there's no way Rachel would have made him stop to start her show.

Over 12 hours later and I'll still in awe of her.  And, I'm paraphrasing her a bit - justice came about because of a joke made by Hannibal Buress. 60 women but people believed him and as she said that made her angry enough to come forward.  

• Love 4

Chris isn't nearly a good enough interviewer to be proud of his performance up against professional criminal liars like Felix Sater and Carter Page, yet he replayed his sessions with those two boys as if to say hey, look, didn't I do good work?  No, Chris, not even close. 

Interesting timing—Valerie Jarrett is going to be on tonight’s town hall on racism just days after Roseanne Barr called her the product of The Planet of the Apes. Chris has already pointed that out on Twitter. Is this a live town hall with pre-taped filmed segments?

The town hall was terrific. Too bad it wasn't on one of the mainstream channels so it could have gotten more viewers because it deserves to be seen by all Americans. I wish there was some way to get many of Trump's supporters to sit their asses down in a chair for an hour and open their minds and listen to what African Americans have to say about how they have to live their lives.

• Love 3

I'm starting to love Hayes. I haven't watched his show regularly, because I'm already watching too much tv, and way too much tv about current events. But a few times recently I've caught All In, and I really like it. I like that Chris isn't shy about saying very directly when things are lies, or propaganda, or otherwise BS. He doesn't wait until the next day or even after the next commercial break, he fact-checks in real time. And when I watched his show this week, it wasn't featuring the same stories as the other 4 shows I watched the same day-- and what he did talk about was important. So, good job, Chris! I will try to watch more often.

I wish there was a way to speed up the TV, so I could watch faster. I used to listen to books on tape on a machine that had adjustable speed, so I could listen at two or three times the natural speed. My ear adjusted, so it sounded perfectly intelligible, and it saved a lot of time.

• Love 3

I'm glad MSNBC got a hold of Jill Wine Banks and Nick Ackerman (after John Dean ditched them for CNN).

A segment of the two of them with Chris last night was perfect.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I'm getting a little tired of Chris plugging his podcast. It was one thing when it was at the end of the show, but now it seems like he is dedicating small segments to it.

It's about as bad as when he was incessantly plugging his book.  And that caricature of his face over the podcast plug--well, let's just say it seriously doesn't do him any favors.  I'm not sure if the artist was channeling Clark Kent or Captain Binghamton from McHale's Navy.

I think Chris now has two podcasts, one that is an audio recording of the show (which all of the hosts have) and one that digs deeper into one of the topics that he is currently covering.  Since both are directly related to the show itself, I don't begrudge him the promo time the way I would if it were a book.  Even with the books, I'm like, "Hey, if you've got the platform, have at it."  Now, what really bugs me is when they go onto another show to do a segment that is a glorified infomercial for their book.  Especially if it's someone whom I dislike enough to avoid their show altogether (*side eyes the other Chris*).

Chris has really been on fire over the border issues--I keep the channel on MSNBC in the background as I work from home and he's been on a LOT today---I am so glad that he and some of the other anchors have committed so much to going down there and making sure this isn't done in secret.

• Love 4

Still somewhat amazed that Republican congressmen are still willing to go on All In and be interviewed by Chris.  I don't know if they're not invited on Rachel or Lawrence's shows, or if they're afraid to go there.  It's not like Chris's interviews are softballs; often they're quite contentious.

3 hours ago, car54 said:

Chris has really been on fire over the border issues

I imagine his being a new dad adds fire to his fury at what's being done to these children.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Still somewhat amazed that Republican congressmen are still willing to go on All In and be interviewed by Chris.  I don't know if they're not invited on Rachel or Lawrence's shows, or if they're afraid to go there.  It's not like Chris's interviews are softballs; often they're quite contentious.

I imagine his being a new dad adds fire to his fury at what's being done to these children.

Chris has always been a firebrand around social justice issues. Both of his parents are activists (his dad was a Jesuit when he was a young man), so it's kind of in his blood :) But yeah, I'm sure having three young children has his empathy ramped up to about a zillion. FWIW, you don't need to be a parent to be overcome with anger and sorrow about what's happening now; you just need to have your humanity in gear.

I'm really torn when Chris has complicit Republicans on his show. On the one hand, he's right to try to get answers from them in public view, but on the other, so few of them want to do more than shout the same old lies as he's trying to get the truth.

• Love 4

I'm watching Chris interview the former ICE Acting Director under the Obama administration.  While I'm interested in what he's saying, he's talking so fast he's making my head spin.  He's been on other MSNBC shows, and Chris or someone needs to tell him to slow down. 

• Love 1

Another exhausting interview of a brain-dead Republican congresscritter.  This one was primaried out earlier this year, although he's a staunch Trumpette.  I have a feeling Chris had hoped there might be some honesty because the guy is a lame duck and therefore should no longer have a political ax to grind, but all I heard was this idiot's memorized talking points running over Chris's attempt to ask him questions and get answers actually related to the question.  Finally Chris gave up and moved on because he realized he was getting nowhere.  I don't know why either party to the conversation even bothered.  

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Another exhausting interview of a brain-dead Republican congresscritter.  This one was primaried out earlier this year, although he's a staunch Trumpette.  I have a feeling Chris had hoped there might be some honesty because the guy is a lame duck and therefore should no longer have a political ax to grind, but all I heard was this idiot's memorized talking points running over Chris's attempt to ask him questions and get answers actually related to the question.  Finally Chris gave up and moved on because he realized he was getting nowhere.  I don't know why either party to the conversation even bothered.  

That was a painful interview to watch.  That guy was relentless & Chris could barely interrupt.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

That was a painful interview to watch.  That guy was relentless & Chris could barely interrupt.

I am watching the repeat and even with the horrors of the past month, I have not wanted until now to reach through the screen and scream at that congressman.  And the "y'all can eat shit" grin at the end was the turd on top of that steaming mess.  That was terrible.  Chris should have stopped after ninety seconds. 

3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Edited by jjj
On 6/23/2018 at 7:17 PM, possibilities said:

They need to warn guests that if they don't answer the questions asked, their mics will be cut. And then they need to start doing it.

Definitely.  I kept waiting for him to be cut off in silence mid sentence.  Why bother with them otherwise.  I mean really the tangents he went off on.

• Love 1

What happened to "Thing 2" on the show this evening?  There was "Thing 1" about Trump criticizing the Red Hen restaurants, and instead of coming back in 60 seconds, there were TEN commercials, and we never got "Thing 2"!  (at least, not in Seattle) -- I assumed it was going to be about the health inspector reports on the Trump restaurants.   Seriously, TEN commercials -- I only noticed the number because when we got to the third one, I went, huh, this is no 60 seconds, and then started counting the rest.  Did MSNBC get taken over by bots for a few minutes?  

• Love 1

Not surprised to see Auntie Maxine on Chris's show.  Lightning fast pivot off the controversy around her weekend remarks, too, but at least Chris yanked her right back, if briefly.  Nice to see she was prepared with her list of quotes from her adversary.  Clearly Chris enjoys having her as a guest, even when she's in the middle of a controversy.

2 hours ago, jjj said:

we never got "Thing 2"!  (at least, not in Seattle) -- I assumed it was going to be about the health inspector reports on the Trump restaurants.

It was you.  Thing 2 aired here and was exactly what you thought...the health code violations at Merde-a-Lago, as well as other Drumpf properties.  And a scathing Vanity Fair review in 2016 of the Trump Grill.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

It was you.  Thing 2 aired here and was exactly what you thought...the health code violations at Merde-a-Lago, as well as other Drumpf properties.  And a scathing Vanity Fair review in 2016 of the Trump Grill.

Well, that's just weird.  I'll try to remember to watch the midnight repeat for "Thing 2"!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Aha!  They did include Thing 2 in the repeat of the show at midnight. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm super glad Chris got Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez for an interview. She's a bright spot in a dark week. I agree with Rachel; the 'view was super.

ON the other hand, I muted Bernie. Nope! Not listening to that old coot ever again.

Edited by attica
  • Love 7

Ali Velshi is filling in for Chris this week.

This is interesting. While I like Ali on his own shows, I don't like him on All In.

It's the kind of going to watch CNN if Lawrence isn't hosting his show.

(edited)

I have approved of Ali's pointed questions "So what do we do now?" to the pols who are all this-is-terrible. Sadly, the answer has been basically a shrug and 'um, vote?'

Edited by attica
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, jjj said:

That was a great interview with the ProPublica reporter, Isaac Arnsdorf, of the piece on the shadow triumvirate that is running the VA.  The full article is even more remarkable, and as Chris said, is old-fashioned shoe-leather reporting, getting documents and putting it all together.  Article here:  https://www.propublica.org/article/ike-perlmutter-bruce-moskowitz-marc-sherman-shadow-rulers-of-the-va 

ProPublica does amazing work. I subscribe to their newsletter, so I read about this earlier; I was really pleased that Chris covered this story, too. I think it was Chris who pointed out that so much new corruption and dirty dealings are discovered on a daily basis now that it's difficult to cover just one story in the manner it deserves. I love that he and Rachel (especially Rachel) showcase the local journalists and/or investigative reporters who are doing this vital work. As Rachel said last night, "Support your local newspaper."

• Love 4

I like Ali pretty well.  I was greatly relieved that he spent the final lengthy segment on Aretha instead of politics. I sometimes wish the primetimers would do a bit more of that. Not too much, just an occasional breather.

• Love 2

Yeow. Lanny Davis was sleep walking through an interview with Chris tonight.

Lanny looked like he was going to to nod off.  It would probably be a good idea for him to stay off TV for a while.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, stormy said:

Yeow. Lanny Davis was sleep walking through an interview with Chris tonight. Lanny looked like he was going to to nod off.  It would probably be a good idea for him to stay off TV for a while.

I said over in the Rachel thread earlier that he must not have slept at all, because his mid-day interviews were awful.  Chris could have waited another day or two, and would have been better off waiting for a more alert Lanny.

What beach did they troll to find Charlie Pierce?  He looks like he can hardly wait to get back to looking for objects with his metal detector.  Fitting that he said  "a lagoon of money sloshing around" (campaign slush).        

msnbc 08-22-18.png

Edited by freddi
  • Love 4

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha <breathes> hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  -- Thank you, Chris, we needed this! 

The FLAG.  With blue and brown stripes.  The American Flag.  

What kind of cognitive tests did the previous White House physician administer to this president?  

And I did notice that the twitter account where the YouTube video of him coloring the flag is posted, has a handle of something like 2020-f-i-g-h-t.  (I don't what to spell it out to be searchable.)

Kornacki!  Waving the arms!  Saying it is still too early to call anything!  But he is extrapolating anyway.  "But it's not like the margin is really big.  But here's a big thing that's left."  Ending with "Frankly, you look at the math, it's too close to call."  Okay then. 

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, freddi said:

The FLAG.  With blue and brown stripes.  The American Flag.  

What kind of cognitive tests did the previous White House physician administer to this president?  

Actually it's blue and red.  Most of the commentary I've seen has focused on its resemblance to the Russian flag.

Most Thing 1/Thing 2 segments involve news items I've already heard about, and the flag flub was no exception.  But Chris's interview about the FBI building and its proximity to the Drumpf Hotel gave me new information.  

1 hour ago, freddi said:

Kornacki!  Waving the arms!  Saying it is still too early to call anything!  But he is extrapolating anyway.  "But it's not like the margin is really big.  But here's a big thing that's left."  Ending with "Frankly, you look at the math, it's too close to call."  Okay then. 

And that's why I love, love, love my DVR.  Fast forward is my friend.  I can read numbers as easily as he can, and without flailing my arms.  Sadly, on Election Night, I'll have to watch CNN.  I will want to watch in real time, and the combination of BriWi, Chris Matthews, and Kornacki will absolutely send me over the edge.  Why can't it just be Chris H, Rachel, and LOD, with a side dose of Nicolle?  

• Love 3

I've been worn down by the promos for the WITH podcast, and started listening to some of them. You guys, they're pretty honking good. Like I start one and think, ehhhh that's gonna be dry, and then it's super interesting and the guest is interesting and engaging, and Chris gets to swear, and I learn a thing or two. Imagine that!

• Love 6