Type keyword(s) to search

All In With Chris Hayes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Something Donna Edwards said struck a chord with me: when more women run, more women get elected. I was discussing these results with a colleague who'd done some party work in the past. He said that history in CA politics reliably bore out that in down- ballot elections (when, let's face it, there's little to no name recognition), people vote for the woman in the race. The problem always seemed to be finding women to run. Now, I don't know how that data squares with the misogyny faced by more prominent women, but I bet that’s a thing that can be learned. And oughta be! Because all those women who flipped seats in the VA legislature are, I hope, just getting started. 

• Love 5

Excellent visit by Irin Carmon*. I love hearing backstage goss about difficult reporting stuff. But it's galling that all these corporations were all like 'What, me worry?' when asked if they ever did anything about predators roaming their halls. And couldn't be arsed to respond to IC's queries. Grrrrrrr.

*fun fact: Carmon famously wrote the Notorious RBG book. She recently got hitched. Who do you suppose officiated? The notorious one herself! 

• Love 2

Loved the montage of Lindsey Graham complaining about the media calling 45 a kook and then all the incidents where he himself said the same thing.

Is it me or is Chris getting ever slightly more partisan and agitated?  I mean, there's no doubt as to his politics, but usually he lets the facts speak for themselves; however, lately it seems like he's using descriptors rather than just presenting information, and he talks a little faster and higher.  But it could be just my perception.

Oh, and if you caught The Opposition, I also LOLd at Jordan Klepper showing a brief clip from All In and referring to Chris as "mini-Maddow."

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 2

I was so impressed by Ady Barkan, the guy with ALS who got in the faces of Susan Collins and Jeff Flake and told them point blank that if they vote for "tax reform," they're voting to kill him and people like him.  Ady apologized to Chris for filibustering the segment, but Chris was like talk as long as you want, you've earned it. 

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/activist-with-als-kill-the-gop-tax-bill-save-my-life-1117030467918

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 4
On 12/1/2017 at 5:19 PM, meowmommy said:

Loved the montage of Lindsey Graham complaining about the media calling 45 a kook and then all the incidents where he himself said the same thing.

Is it me or is Chris getting ever slightly more partisan and agitated?  I mean, there's no doubt as to his politics, but usually he lets the facts speak for themselves; however, lately it seems like he's using descriptors rather than just presenting information, and he talks a little faster and higher.  But it could be just my perception.

Oh, and if you caught The Opposition, I also LOLd at Jordan Klepper showing a brief clip from All In and referring to Chris as "mini-Maddow."

As I recall, while Chris firmly believed that Russia interfered with the election, he didn't buy the stories of the Trumps and the transition team actually colluding with the Russians. That ended when Donnie Jr's emails hit the news. Chris was absolutely shocked. Flabbergasted. And I was shouting at him on TV, furious, because how could you not believe this crap was happening! I don't believe that he ever thought that TrumpCo wasn't crooked, just that they wouldn't go that far over the line, that it was all coincidence and innuendo and not everything had to have a tie to Russia. Yeah, since then and with the daily cascade of yet more jaw-dropping evidence of Trump - and the GOP - stomping all over the Constitution and democratic rule, our Chris is a changed man. But he still has Republicans on the show not to attack them but to try to get some straight talk from them. (I admire the impulse but I really begrudge giving the die-hards yet another platform for their bilge.) Honestly, I have no problem with him pointedly stating the facts about what the WH and the GOP are doing.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, maystone said:

But he still has Republicans on the show not to attack them but to try to get some straight talk from them. (I admire the impulse but I really begrudge giving the die-hards yet another platform for their bilge.)

I am somewhat surprised at the number of Republicans who are willing to go on his show; people who likely wouldn't be caught dead talking to Rachel or LOD.  The congressman from New Jersey who was on last night is almost a regular guest on All In. 

41 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

Joy was on fire tonight.  ?

She is never better than when she is icy hot with rage, and she could have melted glaciers and built them back up at the same time in her opening segment tonight.

I'm assuming Chris is on paternity leave?  How long does that last in the teevee world?

• Love 4

Wow, way for Rep Gaetz to show what a racist shit he is.  I think he shocked Chris by what he said - and Chris tried to help him by telling him that he might want to think about what he said but he had no issues with it.  Joy Reid was also watching and went after him on twitter.  

Baby pictures!   

• Love 2

I can't tell if Gaetz isn't planning to run for statewide office someday (Senate or Governor), or if he thinks his automatic privileges will protect him.  Florida has a lot of Haitians, and a still rapidly growing number of Puerto Ricans, and the fact that these populations are pretty much frozen out of the panhandle doesn't mean they don't legitimately vote.  Anyway, a guy who is one of the few who kept his license after declining the breathalyzer probably has an inflated view of his own special status.

i just Love his thing one/thing two segments.. He talks 30 -45 seconds he then goes to several minutes of commercials. We then get his 30-40 second thing two segment and again we get several more minutes of commercials 

13 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I can't tell if Gaetz isn't planning to run for statewide office someday (Senate or Governor), or if he thinks his automatic privileges will protect him. 

Well, he certainly is accustomed to being protected by friends in high places...

I am in total agreement with Chris about the Daniels payoff story. It's most amazing that she actually got her money.

Edited by attica
5 hours ago, chillenout said:

i just Love his thing one/thing two segments.. He talks 30 -45 seconds he then goes to several minutes of commercials. We then get his 30-40 second thing two segment and again we get several more minutes of commercials 

Which, among all the other commercials, is the main reason I've stopped watching Chris, Rachel and LOD live and now only watch on the DVR.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, attica said:

I am in total agreement with Chris about the Daniels payoff story. It's most amazing that she actually got her money

If, indeed, trump "stiffed" her in the manner contended, he was wise not to stiff her about the funds.  It's not like she's just a contractor or bank that might sue him...she was in a position to do his marriage really expensive harm.  With this story now being reported, I wonder if his marriage might end before his presidency does.

ETA:  Chris' show last evening was one of the best I've seen him do.

Edited by Tunia

Two things in the first 20 minutes of tonight's show:

1. Michelle Goldberg pointing out how quickly Kelly starts gaslighting people put into words something that's been nagging at me all day.  It marks him as someone to be wary of.  Eepy-cray. 

2. The discussion about why Rachel Brand has quit: the sibling of an acquaintance of mine works at DOJ. She had been nominated to the bench during the Obama years, but never got a vote. While she was waiting, she had to recuse herself from most of the daily work, which was a frustration.  But after the election, she got to go back to work. Which would have been fine, but now her boss is Sessions, and every day is a miserable slog. So Brand heading for the exit is totally in keeping with that. 

• Love 4

OMG loved the shout-out to Veep.  DST ain't coming to Arizona, anyway.

And all the references this week to 45's body man only made me think of Gary, Tony Hale's character.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 3
On 3/17/2018 at 12:22 AM, meowmommy said:

And all the references this week to 45's body man only made me think of Gary, Tony Hale's character.

Dule Hill has been tweeting about this guy. I heard this morning they're going to hire him back at the WH, it's major gambling issues.  These people make the characters on VEEP look like the most straight up solid best gov't employees you could imagine. 

That interview with Felix Sater was insane. I believe about 1 out of every 20 words that come out of his mouth. If he's working for our IC, why would he go on tv and blab it? He tries to hook up Russia and Trump but is the biggest Patriot since ever? And who thinks because you get a building in Moscow, you'll get elected POTUS? 

I mean, how did Chris not laugh in his face?   

File this under the Carter Page, Sam Nunberg delusional belief that "going on cable news and discussing what I've been up to is a great way to not get in trouble with Special Counsel Mueller. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I still wonder how Chris gets these interviews, like Sater and Page.  I can only surmise that they think they're dealing with a baby-faced lightweight.  Otherwise it makes no sense for any of them to go on any MSNBC shows but rather stay within the friendly confines of Faux News.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, meowmommy said:
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I still wonder how Chris gets these interviews, like Sater and Page.  I can only surmise that they think they're dealing with a baby-faced lightweight.  Otherwise it makes no sense for any of them to go on any MSNBC shows but rather stay within the friendly confines of Faux News.

I watched it Saturday night and kept thinking, Chris isn't buying this bullshit, right? This guy is nuts.  

• Love 2

HaHaHa, this is the *business card* produced by Chris's show to capture the exact words Trump used when introducing her WITH THE WRONG NAME and usual general condescending swipe at her qualifications.    

IMG_0343.PNG

Edited by jjj
  • Love 4

Geez. I get the social pressure to not correct somebody who's mangled your intro, but it's totally worth doing, gets easier with practice, and would benefit us all by not normalizing this creature. There are ways to do it lightly. For instance, "As much as I'm married to my job, I didn't actually take its name." People would chuckle!

• Love 7

^^^She certainly would have "trumped" his egregious error!

(and once again Pence looks on, inwardly smiling, thinking "One small step closer to activating the 25th Amendment.")

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

Each time Carter Page smirks his way onto All In, I'm reminded of the line from Ruthless People:  "This could very well be the stupidest person on the face of the earth. Perhaps we should shoot him." 

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Each time Carter Page smirks his way onto All In, I'm reminded of the line from Ruthless People:  "This could very well be the stupidest person on the face of the earth. Perhaps we should shoot him." 

I am not a violate person at all but all I can think of when Carter Page is talking is how I want to grab him by the collar smack him and tell him to just answer the damn question.

I agree with Rachel: watching Chris's eyes bug out through his damn glasses when Shulkin was all, yeah potus called me, we chatted, no big, then Kelly called and said I was toast, and then I saw the tweet, was the Best New Thing in the World.

• Love 4
On 4/1/2018 at 7:31 PM, M. Darcy said:

Today is All In’s 5th Anniversary! 

Yay, Chris! I've been a fan since his "Lamb Chop" days as a guest on Rachel Maddow's show; I got up religiously on Saturdays before 7AM (8AM Sunday) to relish the fantastic conversations on Up with Chris Hayes. It's the one aspect of All In that I've missed: those great round table discussions, but the last five minutes of tonight's show was so enthralling that maybe they'll consider reinstating that format at least some of the time.

• Love 1

I remember thinking during the run-up, that the fantasy draft thing was a stupid idea. And then I watched it and loved it. Sure, it didn't mean anything, but it was a fun way to organize a chat about the various pros and cons of the candidates.

Is it ever a bad plan to thank your viewers as 'the best that ever was'? I doubt it. I buy it every single time somebody says it about fandoms in which I immerse.

• Love 1

You guys, I don't even know how I can look at anything today, on account of because I was rolling my eyes SO HARD at Kasie Hunt's description of poor beleaguered Paul Ryan. I mean, honey, no. He's not some delicate flower, yearning for the gentle virtues of home. He's a self-serving worm getting out while the getting's good. 

• Love 14

You guys, I don't even know how I can look at anything today, on account of because I was rolling my eyes SO HARD at Kasie Hunt's description of poor beleaguered Paul Ryan. I mean, honey, no. He's not some delicate flower, yearning for the gentle virtues of home. He's a self-serving worm getting out while the getting's good. 

I know!  I just started listening to the podcast and only made it through Joe S and a bit of her part and I'm done.  Oh boo hoo, He has been miserable. BFD.  What about all the misery that he has caused Americans in this country.   He has added billions (trillions??) to the deficit, he did his best to gut Obamacare, he gave a tax break to the richest Americans and just screwed the rest of us over. 

Oh, he's unhappy with Trump.   Then why didn't he do something?  The Legislative Branch is a coequal branch of Government with the Executive Branch and he has done NOTHING.  He could have stopped Trump but let him get away with every single solitary thing.   But since he "wears his heart on his sleeve", oh, that's ok. 

And Kasie, he's not quitting to spend time with his family.  He's quitting because he wants to earn millions as a lobbyist and because he knew there was a good possibility he could have to hand the gavel back to Nancy Pelosi. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 13