Type keyword(s) to search

All In With Chris Hayes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I used to live in Wisconsin and was totally heartbroken that Russ Feingold didn't make it back into the Senate.  The National Democratic party didn't support him, just like they didn't support the guy who just lost in Louisiana.  That's two more Senate seats they could have picked up. 

I didn't get a clear picture of why these people voted the way they did.  I guess it came down to they wanted a change from the status quo.  Although it boggles my mind how they thought a greedy billionaire (who didn't pay his workers and had all his stuff made outside of the US) was the answer to that.  Bernie's message about all the wealth going to the top seemed to be lost on them. 

Paul Ryan's district is Janesville.  I didn't realize Kenosha was part of that. 

ETA:  This forum proved to me that Bernie could not have beaten Trump either.  That one lady was really rude when she said she stopped listening to everything that came out of his mouth after he said college should be free.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SierraMist said:

I used to live in Wisconsin and was totally heartbroken that Russ Feingold didn't make it back into the Senate.  The National Democratic party didn't support him, just like they didn't support the guy who just lost in Louisiana.  That's two more Senate seats they could have picked up. 

I didn't get a clear picture of why these people voted the way they did.  I guess it came down to they wanted a change from the status quo.  Although it boggles my mind how they thought a greedy billionaire (who didn't pay his workers and had all his stuff made outside of the US) was the answer to that.  Bernie's message about all the wealth going to the top seemed to be lost on them. 

ETA:  This forum proved to me that Bernie could not have beaten Drumpf either.  That one lady was really rude when she said she stopped listening to everything that came out of his mouth after he said college should be free.

Yep that woman was a perfect example why it's very hard trying to reach to people who are very stubborn. Doesn't matter the economic status in that area, some were without a job, but that woman seemed to be really well off and just thought that people should have to pay for college themselves. Well they'd be able to do that if it were within their reach. It's getting harder and harder to get an education, hence why Bernie mentioned what he did. Wished he could had the time to explain about free college and how it's funded by EVERYONE and how the taxes are spread more evenly. But I'm betting even that wouldn't have worked with that woman.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SierraMist said:

ETA:  This forum proved to me that Bernie could not have beaten Trump either.  That one lady was really rude when she said she stopped listening to everything that came out of his mouth after he said college should be free.

http://paulryan.house.gov/district/

Ryan has offices in Janesville, Kenosha, and Racine. I didn't vote for that *expletive*, and I'm also heartbroken Russ didn't make it back into the Senate.

My take on many of the voters that crossed party lines is they're stuck in the past, and they wanted to shake up the status quo just as long as Hillary wasn't the one doing the shaking. Those auto jobs aren't coming back, and Snap-on Tools moved but is still a viable employer for those willing to drive a bit. Kenosha is a mix of old and new, and the county is getting new industrial projects all the time. Jobs are available. They may not pay UAW 72-type money, but they're not minimum wage, either.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I didn't get a clear picture of why these people voted the way they did.  I guess it came down to they wanted a change from the status quo.  Although it boggles my mind how they thought a greedy billionaire (who didn't pay his workers and had all his stuff made outside of the US) was the answer to that. 

Or why they reelected the do-nothing incumbents they claimed to be 'fed up" with.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

I'm still mentally untangling why people voted as they did, and part of it was the rejection of a guy so oriented toward the working class. 

Me, too. To get a better handle on things, I watched last night's show, which recapped and replayed parts of Monday's town hall.

On 12/13/2016 at 5:55 AM, Eliot said:

They still didn't get it though. The one guy kept saying, "He's just starting a dialogue!" as if it's all part of some master strategy Trump has, as opposed to him just blurting out every bigoted thought that pops into his head.

I get that Chris and Bernie were trying to be respectful and non-confrontational and all "listen-y," but I wish they had pressed harder in some spots.

That lady all outraged about the "illegals" really saddened me. She was so angry and bitter, and she admitted she got her info from talk radio, so there you go.

Whoomp! (There it is) Drumpf's kool-aid is a cool, refreshing drink to them, and that's that. Oh, well. Guess it's good to know what the neighbors think.

Edited by bittersweet4149
  • Love 1

That talent booker story was so bizarre that I am tempted to accept it as fact! I will definitely be interested to see who they get for the inauguration. I am guessing it might be slightly better than Scott Baio and Anthony Sabato. 

As for the Energy department potential witch hunt and archiving story, what scares me even more is the fact that the huge questionnaire included not one question on nuclear power/weapons, which makes up more than 60% of the agency's budget. And putting a Texas governor in charge only reinforces the idea that no one in the incoming administration has any idea that nuclear policy is important to the agency.

• Love 1

Well Chris was off for the week, but I was glad to see Joy Reed take his spot for a few days. The other day she asked some Congressman if he believed Julian Assange over our own Intelligence Agencies and he stumbled with his answer that he couldn't be sure without more proof.  Unbelievable.  And yesterday, the guest Joy had on mentioned the fact that the House had umpteen hearings about Benghazi and they can't bring themselves to have even one investigation into Russian hacking.  Sad.  Where are Jason Chaffetz and Curt Gowdy now?  The Clinton witch hunt was ok, but this doesn't matter?  I hope people in the Chaffetz and Gowdy districts rise up and give them an earful.  Trump is a Putin puppet and these cowards are all turning out to be Trump puppets.   

• Love 4

I hope they stand up and fight the way they said they would.

I think the news came in after Chris Hayes aired (and if the Senator did mention it sorry!), but Senator Booker is going to testify against Sessions at his hearing - and that will be the first time in history that a Senator has testified against another Senator in a confirmation hearing

• Love 2

SMH at Andrea Mitchell on the show tonight.  She all but equated fake news about Hillary to the intelligence summary added to the intelligence briefing given to Obama, Trump and the Gang of Eight regarding Trump's ties to Russia.  OK, Andrea.  Yes, these are allegations.  Allegations that were vetted by our intelligence agencies who then decided it was significant enough to give to our President, President-Elect, and senior members of the Congressional Intelligence Committees.  That's a little different than fake news, can't you admit?

• Love 4

^^^ I wish Chris would have had on someone more reliable that Andrea.

I turned on CNN after her and there was Jake Tapper talking with CNN's Evan Perez, Jim Sciutto and Carl Bernstein.  The three of them said they'd been working on this story together for several days and gave a very in depth explanation.  I hope this isn't a there's no there story.

At the end of their story, Jake showed trump's tweet, it was all in caps and dumb as expected.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:11 AM, stormy said:

^^^ and as always, Malcolm Nance is the best source of all things relating to this.  He's become a regular on The Stephanie Miller Show.

Nance is the best. I could listen to him fill the show!  He was "disgusted" by Trump at the CIA this weekend, as I was. (And I still want to know who was cheering like that. Did he really bring his entourage to do that--again--just like he did at the press conference? That is some nerve.  I hope the press keeps on it--obviously at least some of it was fakunfored at Trump's orders.)

I especially liked his shock over Flynn and how he lets us read between the lines, and gives little details you don't hear elsewhere. Like, today, that "counter-intelligence operation" means "they're looking for a spy" and that Flynn "would have known the ambassador's phone was tapped, but must have had confidence he wouldn't be detected, which in itself raises a lot of questions."

He really gets my hopes up. The worst-case scenario seems very likely, but unfortunately, they have to (1) prove it and (2) make it public. Not sure either of those will happen, but the leaks make it seem like some high up people at the Agency want it to happen. (Plus, if there's a traitor conspiring with a foreign government, would CIA operatives really want to see him be the head of the NSA and the President's right-hand man?)

• Love 3

I was just talking to a friend of mine about the behavior of Senate Dems who aren't voting against the cabinet noms. So I was pleased to hear Jealous and Goldberg echo my feelings. I completely get the impulse to be the grownup in the room, to not stoop to the subbasement levels of the Obama-years Republicans, but now is not the goddamn time. It's not just another legislative session, it's war. Fight harder, and on more fronts. We're begging you. Like what was said: the people are more liberal than you think!

• Love 7

I guess Ben Jealous also framed it right when he said that basically the senate dems will never be able to count on Joe Manchin but even though Elizabeth Warren is the pillar we all look to, she's gotta pick her battles.

Just before Chris threw it to Rachel last night, he had a pretty extensive conversation with Ben Sasse,  When Rachel came on she commented on what an interesting conversation it was and it was.  I'm sure I disagree with Ben Sasse on every policy issue but he seems like a very intelligent guy and they did have a very interesting exchange.  He was a Never Trump guy that some Republicans wanted to run as a third party candidate against Trump.  I wonder if he will fall in line like the rest of them now or stand up to Trump in any way.

• Love 2

Well, I see that Chris's flight back to NY was kiboshed by the east coast weather, as he feared. I hope that's the reason his hair tonight looked like Calvin on Class Picture Day, rather than a new 'do entirely. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I admit I just turned this on (yay Terps!), but why does anyone have Susan Sarandon on their shows anymore? Shes's insufferable.  Good for Chris for pushing back.

I agree.  She's gone from being a pretty likeable spokesperson to someone who is doing no good for her political and women's causes.  On tonight's show, if I didn't know who she was, I would've thought "what a sourpuss".

Chris, like Lawrence, doesn't have to raise his voice to control his show.

• Love 11

Chris had on my favorite lawyer John Dean. Yay!

Then the slimy weasel Roger Stone. What a lying asshole.

What more is there to say about Susan Sarandon and some guy named Josh Fox. Neither had one intelligent or rational thing to say. And Sarandon goes off on pipelines yet has she been standing side by side with the Standing Rock protesters?

I.too, was glad to see Chris push back and tell her that he covers the news 15 hours a day. He can't be a one cause journalist.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 12

I love Maxine Waters and her Kremlin Klan term for this administration, that's all. That clip of her saying that Comey has no credibility gets me every time, love it. And right before she says it, which they did not show, she asks the reporter, "What do you want?" Oh, I love it.

I turned the channel as soon as Perfect Progressive Sue showed up, ugh. Based on commentary here it was a good decision to skip her bullshit.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 9

I admit I just turned this on (yay Terps!), but why does anyone have Susan Sarandon on their shows anymore? Shes's insufferable.  Good for Chris for pushing back.

Blame everyone else for your bad decisions Susan. That's exactly why no one takes you seriously.  Wanna be a Bernie supporter, that's great. But to say that Trump would be better than Hillary Clinton for this country, then try to accuse a journalist of not "doing his job" when he asks you if you still support your statements is horseshit.

When he threw to Rachel, she was hilarious.  "I was getting sweaty. Not really, but I felt like I was getting sweaty". Chris replies "I really was". 

• Love 7

I missed the Sarandon 'view, but I did catch the toss to Rachel. "I was tense." Hee!

The Stone interview cracked me up. I mean, I learned things I didn't know, but I also was completely entertained by a guy who seems to aspire to cartoon character villainy.

• Love 4

turned the channel as soon as Perfect Progressive Sue showed up, ugh. Based on commentary here it was a good decision to skip her bullshit.

Everything I've read today on other forums, sites etc. is taking her to task for questioning Chris' credentials as well as her Let Rome Burn While I play Ping Pong attitude. 

• Love 5

I loathe her. I believe she and her ilk suppressed the votes of liberals, progressives, and slightly apathetic left-leaners. I know that claiming she's the reason HRC lost is a pretty far leap, but it rings true to me, to some degree.

And you know, to some degree, I respect her opinion of HRC as too establishment. But her BS response to Chris—"why are we spending our energy analyzing and blaming" and putting HIM on trial—straight out of the Republican playbook! No integrity! 

• Love 10

I liked Chris's last segment about how Rs in Congress should respond to Dolt 45.  But I snorted out my diet coke when Jolly went on about 'pass legislation, put it on his desk.' The Rs in Congress have spent six years doing nothing. They were the least law-passingest in history. And they never paid a political price for doing nothing, which entombed the habit in them. They have no idea how to whip votes for anything!  Which is not to say they're no threat, because lord knows their donors are expecting payback, but let's not pretend any of them have a mandate or would know what to do with it if they did.

• Love 13

Just an FYI.  This morning Stephanie Miller played parts of Susan Sarandon's crazy incoherent rambling from Chris's show.  Stephanie mocked her.  Stephanie loves Chris and Joe Reid and has had them on her show.

• Love 2

Chris's last segment about 'winning over Trumpers' overlooked something that this kind of thing ALWAYS overlooks. Which is that nobody ever wrings their hands about Republicans' failure to reach out to the left. If there is a "center" that we should come to, it always seems to be the left that has to give ground. With such a significant loss in the EC, a reasonable response would be to build a coalition, to reach out and make centrist cabinet appointments (or, you know, confirm Merrick Garland), but: nope! That never happens, no one expects it to. I was therefore glad to see Erin Gloria Ryan (and her continues-to-be-killer red lip) express her lack of sympathy for the 'winning' side who are having sadz.

• Love 13

Congresswoman Waters had zero effs to give tonight, and it was marvelous. She makes me so proud to be a woman, a liberal, and an American. (Knowing she's on the Hill also helps me sleep a little better.)

I love that she went flat out and called the gas and oil lackeys "scumbags."

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, attica said:

OMG, Maxine Waters, y'all. If I had pompoms, I'd be shaking them for her.

Bwaah, right, I nearly choked from laughing..."It's clear to me..."

Second, watching these town halls filled with liberals and conservatives has renewed my faith in this democracy. Because it's very important/good to see that people are getting information and investigating for themselves and not buying into the fake news bullshit. It's a thing of beauty, or lord, the woman who shouted at Mitch McConnell about sitting down and shutting up like Elizabeth Warren if he would answer any of her questions about the suffering coal miners....priceless, absolutely priceless. Then the old man calling out Chuck Grassley with regard to the death panels the republicans in congress were hollering about in opposition to Obamacare, saying that this repeal of Obamacare will lead to the real death panels. 

This is a thing of beauty, these town halls.

Now Jewish people are starting to get terrorized and Sean fucking Spicer seriously wants to know how many times does the president have to denounce antisemitism?

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 7

During Chris's discussion with Sheldon Whitehouse about why anti-immigration sentiment overflows the pro-immigrant positions of Big Money, I kept waiting for SW to answer, 'Um, racism, Chris.' But he never did. Sigh. Hate always beats money, always, always.

I've been reading Dave Weigel forever, but this is the first time I've seen him tv in a long time. How long has he been doing this Pablo Escobar cosplay?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

Now Jewish people are starting to get terrorized and Sean fucking Spicer seriously wants to know how many times does the president have to denounce antisemitism?

PRO-TIP: All of the times, Sean. All of the effing times. 

• Love 7

When you're feeling a little down today, I urge you to read Elle's R. Eric Thomas's recap of Maxine Waters's appearance Tuesday night. It's so full of awesome, it's impossible to choose only one quote to share -- you have it read it all.

Oh, okay: a sample:

She showed up, showed out, and snatched every weave in sight. Rep. Waters is placing sanctions on DC weaves; if you are still in possession of your weave please turn it in immediately to avoid prosecution.

I can't help it. Another:

The way she says "Putin," is a work of art. She says "Putin" with the kind of contempt you normally reserve for a hairdresser who burns your scalp while giving you a perm and then overcharges you.

::fans self::

• Love 9

Catching up this week.  

Monday's show:

I didn't understand Mark Sanford's explanation of the 'replacement' for the ACA.  He said something about how insurance would follow you from job to job.  Obviously he can't mean a public option, yes? So...he's going to make everyone buy their own policy and not get it through work?  He really thinks middle-class and poor people can afford to buy their own policy?  If I didn't get my family policy from my work, I'd have to pay over $10,000 a year.  I know so many people that can't afford COBRA, so they do go uninsured for a few months until the new employer's insurance kicks in (or they negotiate with the new employer to pay for the gap/cobra from former employer - if they have such power).  I seriously doubt my employer is going to raise my salary by that amount (we know trickle down doesn't work - see Kansas), and a $200 tax credit doesn't cover it.  And how is he proposing paying for the pre-existing conditions that he claims will still be covered?  A two year phase in, then you must have continuous coverage?  Does he mean that after two years if you lose your coverage, for whatever reason, because you can't afford it, you're screwed on pre-existing coverage?  really?  So now there's even more people who'll be forced to choose between eating, electricity, or paying their insurance premium bill? of course Sanford wouldn't say that everyone who has coverage now, would have coverage under the "ACA replacement".  That's the whole point.

So two hunters shot each other and then conspired to blame it on "illegal immigrants?"  Seriously?

ETA:  Tuesday:

Love all the coverage about town halls and constituents confronting the Republicans, the ACA, Benghazi/Russia, etc. Keep going!  

Why would the trump administration deny communications with Russia that aren't illegal?  Is it because they want to deny everything that even 'sounds' possibly bad?  Is it so they can continue to claim the media is lying, even when there's other proof to the contrary? This Russia stuff is going to be what makes Reps dump trump I think.

I love that not everyone in the administration got trump's bogus voter fraud in NH memo

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 5

What on earth is Matt Kibbe doing with his hair? (That's rhetorical. His hair/facial hair is always pushing envelopes of Dali-ism.) Once again, his advice is for the lefties to move rightward "to get swing voters." Nobody ever asks the right to move leftward for same. I'm glad Chris pushed back against the notion that moving rightward would in fact do so, but I wish sometimes somebody would say "You first."

• Love 3

With Grassley being shown that most of the calls he got re trump's cabinet were cons, I wanted to hear the answer to the question of why then, did he vote to confirm?

At least Lance admitted that they are now looking to keep most of the ACA's pieces.  It appears that the only thing they want to get rid of is the mandate. So how will the insurance premiums be affordable?  Notably, Lance wouldn't promise premiums would go down.  I suppose at least its a win for Dems that the ACA, at least a good part of it, will remain.

Trump can't even get through a business meeting without needing his huuuuuge ego stroked.

Nice admission by Breitbart that the cabinet heads are not meant to run the departments, but to deconstruct and destroy them.

• Love 3

I doubt it Nixon was less delusional than Trump. He actually knew something about the constitution and the law, even though he broke it. 

Dean is always interesting to watch.  You hve to wonder what he is not saying as well as what he is. 

Edited by holly4755
  • Love 6

My biggest complaint is that Chris has on the best guests, interviews them the best and agree with them or not always lets them talk, however,  whoever is in charge of this show, knock it off with blotting out the guest with some useless random footage of trump, constantly!

• Love 3