Type keyword(s) to search

All In With Chris Hayes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, stormy said:

Richard Painter's back!

I've missed him!  I know he had to leave when he ran for Senate, but that was over months ago.  About time he came back, and he had a lot of good things to say.  Hope he sticks around.

• Love 6

I hope Chris never invites Rep Sean Duffy back. There are Republican Congress men and women, that I think exist, that Chris could have an intelligent conversation with.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, stormy said:

I hope Chris never invites Rep Sean Duffy back. There are Republican Congress men and women, that I think exist, that Chris could have an intelligent conversation with.

I think Chris figured he's had a little bit of luck in the past interviewing Republican congressmen, and thought he'd have the same success here.  You can't interview someone who completely ignores your questions and just screams out his canned, fake talking points over your questions.  Another host would have pulled the plug halfway through.  I know I did.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I think Chris figured he's had a little bit of luck in the past interviewing Republican congressmen, and thought he'd have the same success here.  You can't interview someone who completely ignores your questions and just screams out his canned, fake talking points over your questions.  Another host would have pulled the plug halfway through.  I know I did.

Yeah, I kept waiting for the mute button so that Chris could get a word in edgewise.  The congressman was very rude and I hope he's never invited back.

• Love 4
(edited)

Why do I listen to stories about trump's fundraising? That he will spend $300 million dollars to get reelected.

And if that didn't make me feel sick, Chris's guest WAPO journalist Michelle Ye Hee Lee says trump has expanded the people that read his Facebook ads while the Democrats have a narrow group of primary voters that continue to target. ☹️

Edited by stormy
(edited)

Wow, that segment that showed video of the DOJ attorney arguing that children don’t need toothbrushes and soap?  Just disgusting.  But the fact that all three judges also looked completely disgusted was justice in action.  You’d really need to have no shame to be willing to argue that case.  

More details here:  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/safe-sanitary-no-soap-beds-court-migrants-trump-850744/amp/

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1
(edited)
46 minutes ago, freddi said:

Wow, that segment that showed video of the DOJ attorney arguing that children don’t need toothbrushes and soap? 

I am still astonished that this really happened.  I mean, the US Dept. of Justice is arguing it's not necessarily required that kids have soap, toothpaste or humane beds and rooms.  Children.  Why is the DOJ arguing this?  So that the United States can continue penning children up in cold, crowded places with concrete floors, without soap or toothpaste or towels.  WTF America?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, izabella said:

I am still astonished that this really happened.  I mean, the US Dept. of Justice is arguing it's not necessarily required that kids have soap, toothpaste or humane beds and rooms.  Children.  Why is the DOJ arguing this?  So that the United States can continue penning children up in cold, crowded places with concrete floors, without soap or toothpaste or towels.  WTF America?

In the segment Chris showed, the attorney’s argument was that the details like soap were not articulated because whoever wrote the guidelines could not get agreement on the details.  One of the judges responding orally in all caps, “OR IT WAS COMPLETELY OBVIOUS AND DID NOT NEED TO BE SPELLED OUT?”  Ugh.  I have not seen this in any other news show.  Thanks to Chris. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, freddi said:

In the segment Chris showed, the attorney’s argument was that the details like soap were not articulated because whoever wrote the guidelines could not get agreement on the details.  One of the judges responding orally in all caps, “OR IT WAS COMPLETELY OBVIOUS AND DID NOT NEED TO BE SPELLED OUT?”  Ugh.  I have not seen this in any other news show.  Thanks to Chris. 

ITA big thank you to Chris.

It made me sad and angry that this is happening in America.  What was the outcome of the hearing?  Do we need a follow-up story?

• Love 1

Damn! Chris has got to stop having these Republican Congress people on until he finds someone who is rational. 

Last night Rep Michael Burgess R TX blabbed on and on.  Chris couldn't get in a word but noted that Burgess is a doctor. Oy

And Burgess at one point told Chris, "he's going to be your next president too".Chris didn't bat an eye just moved on 

• Love 2
(edited)

So according to Chris's guests last night, there is either a narrow path to winning the citizenship/census question or not. Confusing.

But just the fact that as Chris pointed out there are no longer guardrails and he's being allowed to run slipshod over everything including the Supreme Court is astounding. I mean I always thought Supreme Court decisions actually meant something. 😒

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3
(edited)

It was remarkable that the news about Justice Stevens happened while Chris was on the air; and very meaningful to hear his first-hand account of knowing the Justice through his wife’s clerkship.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 4

I was amused by Chris's astounded reaction to Mark Sanford's proposed "platform." All of Sanford's blathering about deficits, debt, and entitlement reform seems so 2012 in light of everything else that is happening in the country. Chris even tried to throw him a rope a few times, saying, "Really? THIS is what you're worried about right now?" but Sanford just refused to grab on.

• Love 3
(edited)

Chris has a knack for doing some weird interviews. Usually they're with an annoying contentious member of Congress.

The Mark Standford interview was unexplainable.

Edited by Bluelucy
  • Love 2
(edited)

Oh, yes, what a strange interview!  "Would you have voted for the resolution passed by the House today?"  "Oh, I haven't seen it, I don't know." (Chris's eyebrows spell out the word "REALLY?")  Many minutes later, finally admitting the tweets were racist.  And I couldn't follow that candidacy issue discussion at all -- nor could Chris, apparently. 

4 hours ago, Bluelucy said:

Chris has a knack for doing some weird interviews. Usually they're with an annoying contentious member of Congress.

The Mark Standford interview was unexplainable.

10 hours ago, Eliot said:

I was amused by Chris's astounded reaction to Mark Sanford's proposed "platform." All of Sanford's blathering about deficits, debt, and entitlement reform seems so 2012 in light of everything else that is happening in the country. Chris even tried to throw him a rope a few times, saying, "Really? THIS is what you're worried about right now?" but Sanford just refused to grab on.

Edited by freddi
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, attica said:

The  8 minute opening to last night's show was pheeeeenominal. 🔥

I've recently stopped watching Chris (far too liberal for me), but I went to the NBC app to see the clip just based on your recommendation.  Very nice synopsis of what's been done to this country.

Oh, and fascinated to learn that Chris takes the train home just like normal people.  I always imagine these prime time hosts getting into their network car and being driven home.

• Love 1

Chris Hayes's opening tonight was masterful.  He pointed the blame exactly where it belongs, at the center of agitation about "others".  I'll avoid commenting on the issue itself, but highly recommend this seven-minute opening.  He stood there, in a different pose for him, and spoke from his heart and his anguish.  

Chris:  "We welcome the stranger, we pursue the justice."

• Love 6

I forgot all about that till near the end.   Tuned in and heard a familiar voice but didn't recognize the person.   And then . . . . . .omg, it was Joy Reid with a whole new hairdo, and wow did she look pretty!   Hair pulled back (I think) and then a bun-type hairpiece in the back.   What a difference.

I can't opine on the live audience show as I only caught the last few minutes.  The audience seemed pumped.   And it was a bit weird to see Chris', Joy's and Michelle Goldberg's bottom halves, lol.   I'm so used to seeing them only from the waist up.

• Love 1

If  MSNBC is going to go the extra mile to do Chris's show with audiences on Fridays the least they could do is air a repeat later on in one of the hours before the Dateline block starts.

• Love 3
On 8/24/2019 at 12:37 AM, Jaded said:

If  MSNBC is going to go the extra mile to do Chris's show with audiences on Fridays the least they could do is air a repeat later on in one of the hours before the Dateline block starts.

It was repeated Saturday night

I wonder if they are trying to make Chris's live show an alternative to Bill Maher's show.     

Chris enjoys doing audience based shows, they have a studio and it seems like they can pull in an audience and I would imagine it's easier for them to get journalists and politicians in NY than it is  for Maher--I see people all the time on Twitter posting they're flying to LA to do his show.

I think the show gets better when he sits down with the guests in the red chairs---it seems more conversational--and it breaks the MSNBC sit around a conference table style.

Maher always has good guests, but he kind of squicks me out most of the time so I usually don't watch unless I know someone I want to hear is going to be on.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, car54 said:

I wonder if they are trying to make Chris's live show an alternative to Bill Maher's show.  

I don't really see much comparison between Chris and Bill Maher other than the time slot.  Chris to me is still a choir boy who looks about twelve, and is so earnest it sets my teeth on edge.  Bill is first and foremost a comedian, who happens to have chosen politics as his schtick.  And it's HBO, of course, so lots of bad words.  [Given that Bill is usually ducking out at the end to go fly somewhere to do stand-up, I don't even know why they bother to run Real Time live.  It would work just as well taped a few hours earlier.  But I digress.] 

I didn't see the first live show, but I did watch last week, and I didn't like it until they were in the red chairs.  Chris was too obviously reading his script from a teleprompter, and waiting for the audience to react.  He hasn't perfected the timing to do that well.  But I could have watched the interview with David Farenthold for an hour.  

When I heard they were doing live shows, I didn't get what the point was. They're live every night!

But I did wind up thinking the show had a lot more energy with the audience present. I think Chris does well with the audience presence. And the guests are less prone to shouting at each other during the panels when there's an audience.

I like his introductory monologues. I like them on his podcasts, too.

• Love 4
On 10/20/2019 at 8:46 AM, tres bien said:

It seems Steve Schmidt is back.  

He was on Chris's show on Friday and Chris introduced him as his triumphant return to MSNBC.

Schmidt was also on Deadline Whitehouse with Nicole Wallace today.

• Love 3

Like, uh, I know I'm just an old Boomer, and like, maybe I'm just too old to, like, get it, but like, you know, it drives me crazy, like, when the host of, like, a prime time show overuses, like, I dunno, some word, like, like.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I loved Chris pointing out all the ways that evidence trump's quid pro quo that doesn't use those specific words, but uses words like "conditioned on," "depends on," etc.  Somehow I don't think Graham will acknowledge it though.

• Love 2

I'm glad Chris pointed out that the initial aid to Ukraine was only released afterthe whistleblower complained!  and there's still some aid that hasn't been released.  thus, the GOP excuses keep being shot down one by one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm happy to see most of the MSNBC hosts are taking advantage of the "Legal Queen", Maya Wiley.  I first saw her on Ari Melber's show & she seemed to "spread out" from there.  I was first struck by her regal beauty, but she's SO smart, it's a pleasure to listen to her speak.

Also, Brian Williams threw a bit of shade at John Kennedy (?) last night, saying that his folksy way of talking belied his education at some of the most prestigious "halls of learning".  (Very funny!!)

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Tonight’s Thing 1/Thing 2 was appropriately titled, especially for the second half. Yes, Thing 2 was all about Trump having to flush too many times. 

Took me a minute to get your inference.  Duh.

Most of the time, Thing 1/Thing 2 doesn't tell me something I didn't already know.  I knew about Thing 2, but not about Thing 1 (the jewelry claim).  Thing 1 infuriated me, and Thing 2 is just another day in that person's world.  

Also, really, why bother to have the 60 second break for Thing 1/Thing 2 when it's just a promo for MSNBC.

• Love 1

I'm so glad that Chris harps about the hostile takeover of the Post Office nearly every show.

It finally hit a "funny" but no suprise last night when he showed the PO General and his staff that Chris described as a bunch of old white guys.

And, hey, yeah, the House has added funding for PO in their stimulus bill. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 3

The other day, he said something about how NYC day care has successfully operated for kids of essential workers, without causing a COVID outbreak, but he said it in passing and did not elaborate. I found that so frustrating! You'd think that what they did that was effective would be worth talking about, not just mentioning in passing!

I saw this article, in case anyone else was curious.
https://www.npr.org/2020/06/24/882316641/what-parents-can-learn-from-child-care-centers-that-stayed-open-during-lockdowns

It seems that the real problem might be not that it can't be done, but that it can't be done without investment of resources (more staff, more facilities, etc). No one is talking about that. It's all "is it safe or not?" rather than "what would it take to make it safe and why aren't we doing that?"

I've actually seen a few proposals for what it would take, and since Chris has talked more than many other show hosts about how much he really wants his kids back in school and how important it is for kids in general, but that it's a hard problem to solve, it seems like he has an interest and I wish he'd do some examination of the different proposals. He could interview experts and talk about the details, instead of just repeatedly saying it's a huge problem, but not doing anything more. He has a platform, he should use it.

• Love 5

Great interview with Dr Fauci last night. 

But I felt a lot of frustration.  I've been putting all my faith in believing what Dr Fauci says. Now I don't feel that way (not sure Chris didn't feel similar at some points).

I just got a queasy feeling that Dr Fauci wasn't able to back up everything he was saying with what actually should be saying.  

• Love 2

The best part was the plan for Chris and Dr. Fauci (who is old enough to be his grandfather) to have a pickup basketball game when the pandemic is resolved.  And how funny that they found a picture of Dr. Fauci in his tighty whiteys playing hoops back in the day.

I just realized I miss Thing 1 and Thing 2.  I know the world is a serious place, but we need that daily minute of absurdity.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4