Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Chapter Forty-Two: The Man In Black

• Start Topic

On 12/6/2018 at 2:16 AM, kissedbyarose said:

I probably say this everytime I come out of lurking but problematic teen shows with inane storylines and pretty pretty people seem to be my krpytonite. I watched every season of Pretty Little Liars

You and me both. I unabashedly love both PLL and this show for their insane stupidity.

Speaking of stupidity: Archie's an idiot. Second verse, same as the first.

• Love 3

I watched all of Pretty little liars as well and I liked it more than this show. Well up until they decided to flash forward them make them adults, that just didn’t work for me for some reason. I get why they had to do it, college and high school shows never really mesh great but it definitely ruined the last two seasons of PLL to make them adults  dealing with the a stuff.

I kind of hope Riverdale never ages the teens out of high school. I know I’ve complained about that ridiculous of the ages(mostly Cheryl’s because they seem to have changed hers) but it’s best to keep them in high school for as long as possible. Because there are only a few options, the kids all attend some made up college in Riverdale or they have to find a way to have them not attend college or they will try and flash forward and that never really works.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
On 12/8/2018 at 1:18 AM, Alice Mudgarden said:

You and me both. I unabashedly love both PLL and this show for their insane stupidity.

Speaking of stupidity: Archie's an idiot. Second verse, same as the first.

Yes but every time he takes off his shirt I question my lesbianism.  I also really worry that I am a dirty old woman.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Snookums said:

Thank goodness they're all over 21! (I'm still old enough to be all their moms, but they aren't really high school age, so I only have to feel a little guilty.)

I remember having a crush on Luke Perry AND Molly Ringwald. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Let me make sure I've got this...

Veronica [for the last, oh, two years or so]: My father is the worst! He's a murderer! A cheat! A scoundrel!

[Hiram advises her to cheat to outwit a cheater.]

Veronica: Maybe my father isn't so bad.

Um, okay. And yes, I know children of abusive parents have a hard time breaking free of them, but this show is not illustrating that dynamic at all. Instead, Veronica seems to exist to suit the show's bizarre plot device of the moment. (ATM, a speakeasy. With no alcohol. Run by a 16-year old.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Yes but every time he takes off his shirt I question my lesbianism.  I also really worry that I am a dirty old woman.  

Haha I was *just* talking with a friend about how I felt all old and inappropriate when I was watching Archie throw those hay bales around like

KindEachFairyfly-size_restricted.gif

• Love 4
1 hour ago, the-grey-lady said:

Let me make sure I've got this...

Veronica [for the last, oh, two years or so]: My father is the worst! He's a murderer! A cheat! A scoundrel!

[Hiram advises her to cheat to outwit a cheater.]

Veronica: Maybe my father isn't so bad.

Um, okay. And yes, I know children of abusive parents have a hard time breaking free of them, but this show is not illustrating that dynamic at all. Instead, Veronica seems to exist to suit the show's bizarre plot device of the moment. (ATM, a speakeasy. With no alcohol. Run by a 16-year old.)

Eh in season one up until Ethel’s dad almost killed himself because of something Hiram did business wise Veronica was all standing by her father. That’s even a thving she says when first meeting Kevin. In the second season she was wary of him at first but then he stated to let her in the buisness stuff more and then she was trying to keep Archie away from her fathers dark doings but she was still all for him. Defending him against Betty and Jughead countless times.

But I think by the end of last season and now she should be against him. For good. He did align to help have Jughead someone she claims as a friend beaten to death and she j Lea he has probably had a band in killing people, and now when she tries to act like she’s surprised he may kill role, she looks stupid. And it negates a lot of what her character is supposed to be this season and it’s odd that the arc of her story this episode ended with her shocked and surprised face at Sheriff Minittas dead body being found with his hands cut off and implying it was her dad.

Then again.. they write Hermione like this all the time, too. One second she’s a boss bitch who is running the show, the next she’s a mob wife who just looks the other way or the third she’s surprised at the awful things her husband does. I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Veronica isn’t like her dad, she’s like her mom.

• Love 1
On 06/12/2018 at 11:32 AM, Chaos Theory said:

If you lash out at a real life girlfriend of of a fictional character because her television character “might” get between your favorite couple that is what is unhealthy.  Teens need to be able to distinguish between what is real and what is fantasy and it is very very dangerous when they bash an actor or more likely actress because they feel their fictional tru luv pairing is in jeopardy 

That would be more believable, but does anyone really think it's just teenage girls doing this? Of course not. All genders and all ages have proven how unhinged they are, time and time again.

And "fans" are the fucking worst. I do not mean the people here who post thoughtful opinions and arguments, and counter them politely. No I'm talking about the "fans." Take Star Wars "fans" for instance: after The Last Jedi was released, apparently they were really annoyed by Rose Tico, the first female lead of colour, played by Kelly Marie Tran. Even with the many hatefully vile racist tweets people toss off without a second thought, that wasn't enough. No, allegedly, some people started literally calling for her head, as in they wanted to track Tran down and cut off her head. Those "fans" chased that poor actress right off of social media, and then they laughed about it! All because they did not like a character she was hired to play.

Or what those Walking Dead "fans" who chased Josh McDermitt off of social media completely, fearing for his family's life...because "fans" did not like the direction his character had taken. As written by other people. And these are just two examples off the top of my head, there are plenty more "fans" who will say the most despicable disgusting things, other "fans" re-tweet it because they think it's hilarious, and people pat themselves on the back for having such opinions. It's being re-tweeted, so obviously people agree.

Twitter is a vile cesspool of human filth, of dangerously unhinged people who may or may not know the difference between fantasy and reality, is what I'm saying.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, HeShallBMySquishy said:

That would be more believable, but does anyone really think it's just teenage girls doing this? Of course not. All genders and all ages have proven how unhinged they are, time and time again.

And "fans" are the fucking worst. I do not mean the people here who post thoughtful opinions and arguments, and counter them politely. No I'm talking about the "fans." Take Star Wars "fans" for instance: after The Last Jedi was released, apparently they were really annoyed by Rose Tico, the first female lead of colour, played by Kelly Marie Tran. Even with the many hatefully vile racist tweets people toss off without a second thought, that wasn't enough. No, allegedly, some people started literally calling for her head, as in they wanted to track Tran down and cut off her head. Those "fans" chased that poor actress right off of social media, and then they laughed about it! All because they did not like a character she was hired to play.

Or what those Walking Dead "fans" who chased Josh McDermitt off of social media completely, fearing for his family's life...because "fans" did not like the direction his character had taken. As written by other people. And these are just two examples off the top of my head, there are plenty more "fans" who will say the most despicable disgusting things, other "fans" re-tweet it because they think it's hilarious, and people pat themselves on the back for having such opinions. It's being re-tweeted, so obviously people agree.

Twitter is a vile cesspool of human filth, of dangerously unhinged people who may or may not know the difference between fantasy and reality, is what I'm saying.

Yeah. I rarely use twitter because despite what is said, there really is no rules. The same can be said for Instagram as well though. I follow a lot of accounts of this show  because they have spoilers and behind the scene pictures and sadly they are so young. And they really are mad about everything and they seem to have a certain hate for certain characters that doesn’t make sense.

Like I really hate the Alice Cooper character but mostly because the show has shown her to be awful. I hate Hiram lodge for this reason too.

But it’s always funny when I read comments about people hating Betty but loving Cheryl for the exact reason that they hate Betty. It’s.. confusing. 

I will say though I think the show and probably the network plays on this factor, the original poster that this post was related to about bettys line defusing the shippers and unfortunately they should. It gets ratings.

In a somewhat related subject, Sophia Bush was recently on Dax Shepard’s podcast and talked about  her failed marriage to her Costar and how they were also as characters on the show they were playing a couple and the people who worked on the show used it to sell the show and the stories. And not just those two but others in then show  as well. 

And I think it will happen in this show too. Not just with Cole and Lili but probably how Also with Camilla and Charles. 

So yeah.. while this is about the crazy fans, I do think that the people within the show and the network are happy with the real life romances happening as well and may use parts of it in the show. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the Riverdale people are much kinder to their cast than those were on one tree hill but.. it’s still a business. 

14 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I use twitter but not under my real name.   I refuse to use any social media site the demands I use my real identity.

I mean my handle isn’t my real name and it’s only mhm first name. My Instagram is my real name but my Instagram is private. As is my Facebook.  I’ve made that a point and it’s also because I have other people on those things like family members and stuff, not because we’re super important but maybe my siblings don’t want some random person to see them on social media which is fine.

4 minutes ago, Sonoma said:

I don't know about Camila and Charles but I do know the show and cast have been pretty kind and respectful to Cole and Lili regarding their relationship. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact they had already started their relationship before "Bughead" took off. Apparently sparks flew from the very beginning (although I don't know when the relationship turned serious), so they had already "started something" before the show became popular.

While of course the showrunners and network love how Sprousehart brings them tons of publicity, they're also careful in respecting their privacy when it comes to marketing and promotions. For example, they didn't force joint appearances on them in 2018 like they did in 2017. Cole and Lili (and their teams, of course) had more say regarding these appearances. Part of why they're so careful is because they don't want "fans" blurring the lines between them and Betty & Jughead & Bughead. They get enough hate and trolling as it is from "fans" because of their relationship.

This industry is treacherous on relationships, especially when it comes to actors as young as Cole and Lili. They've managed to navigate theirs through some pretty demanding waters as other young celebrity couples have sunk almost as soon as they left the port. So whatever they've been doing has been working for them. The showrunners respect that. But let's not forget they also have to keep them happy, because Bughead is the show's biggest draw and Cole its biggest star with Lili right behind him and even ahead of him in earned media stats. (Not trying to stir up a debate with that one. I don't care who likes whom or who hates whom, but those are facts.)

In conclusion, I wouldn't worry about Riverdale treating Cole and Lili the way OTH treated Sophia and Chad. =) Sorry I started rambling there. And I really hope these kids make it. They're adorable together and really in love.

They are adorable, I like them too and I hope they make it. And I’m glad the show and the show runners have been better to them then they were to the stars of OtH. That set has always sounded brutal with the way they treated actors.

Also  aside from this show just in general I would never want to be a Hollywood couple now. Especially one that also is a couple on a screen as well. It seems like a lot of work and now with all social media and everything,  people know everything. That’s just a general thought. Also this is way off topic so I’m going to stop before I got in trouble, back to this show. 

Again this episode with the three different stories worked better than when they did it last season in my opinion. They didn’t really connect the stories at all last season. The only connection was possible run ins with the black Hood and none of those people were even the black Hood. Except for the creepy janitor which.. also again lead nowhere. But this one had Hiram in all the stories connecting it. The only one that kind of had nothing to do with the story was Veronica because it was more about her tangible relationship with her family at this time but it still had Hiram.

I definitely think The Lodges have something to do with whatever the game is or the king is. I have a lot of guesses but I might save them for the spoiler forum. But I do think Hiram is definitely giving money to SOQM. It would make sense. All of last season was Hiram and Hermione trying to buy property all over Riverdale and having Hermione run for mayor in secure owning Riverdale. I know some people think that’s been dropped but I doubt it. I feel like that will resurface at some point, him continuing to buy property.

Also why do we assume that cheater Veronica hired for her gambling night to outsmart Elio isn’t cheating her for her father? Didn’t she get his name from her father? I wouldn’t trust that and I hope she doesn’t either. 

I don’t want Veronica to be a villain. I don’t think we need it. But I know I’m alone in that but I really hope she doesn’t happen. And not for multiple seasons. I like the Betty and veronica friendship which we seem to never get scenes of anymore, and if Veronica is a villain especially for more than one season we get even less.

Plus from the bits I’ve seen of comic Veronica she’s awful.  She’s just terrible and mean and a real bitch to Betty in the comics. So yeah I don’t want that.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Sonoma said:

When I say "villain" I don't mean for Veronica to necessarily become a mean girl. (Although, it wasn't that long ago she truly was a mean girl in her Manhattan private school.) I think there's a way to make Veronica more of a bad girl and still keep her friendship with Betty intact. In fact, I think it could give their relationship deeper layers. As of right now it seems pretty shallow. Even Betty's friendships with Archie and Kevin run deeper.

But of course, mileage varies and all that.

Yeah, I agree they need to work on the Betty and Veronica friendship. That’s why they need more scenes! In the second episode Veronica told Archie she felt a connection with Betty that they were meant to be best friends and be in each other lives, and I want to see that bond. 

Unfortunately I think the show would veronica a villain by making her a mean girl or by hurting Archie in some way and that would force Betty to make a choice. Same if Veronica did something buisness wise that would cause harm for Jughead like if she made a deal that would cause issues with the serpents or something.

3 minutes ago, Court said:

So none of Betty's friends have noticed she's missing? Hasn't been around? Bizarre. 

Archie is too stupidly d to live. 

Yeah.. Archie gets kidnapped at the drop of a hat. It made me laugh that Jughead predicated this in his first moments when Archie in this episode when Archie told him to go back to Riverdale.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
I can’t get my writing out of the quote box. :(
  • Love 1
On 12/10/2018 at 3:52 PM, Alice Mudgarden said:

Haha I was *just* talking with a friend about how I felt all old and inappropriate when I was watching Archie throw those hay bales around

I was hoping the ladies would get equally undressed and all I get is Betty running around dressed like a lunch lady.

• Love 1

I always feel alone when people say Archie is super duper hot. He just.. isn’t for me. I mean kJ is good looking enough but this “he’s so hot” just.. it does nothing for me. Maybe it’s because the show to me is constantly always putting that vibe out that I should totally see him that way that it makes me.. not. 

On 12/11/2018 at 4:06 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

They are adorable, I like them too and I hope they make it.

Make it to what, marriage? I hope not, for their sake. Real-life romances between actors who play onscreen couples almost always break up. The exceptions happen once in a blue moon. 

4 hours ago, redfence said:

Make it to what, marriage? I hope not, for their sake. Real-life romances between actors who play onscreen couples almost always break up. The exceptions happen once in a blue moon. 

I think they are a pretty good couple, actually. And yeah it’s hard for on screen romances and yes some happen and some don’t. I’m not saying marriage but I do like them as a couple. I kind of hope they don’t break up during the shows run,  honestly. That would be really bad for the show. But I kind of hope lzt. Maybe I’m wishful thinking but I do think they’re pretty stable as a couple. 

The couple I worry about more than Lili and Cole is actually Charles and Camilla. They seem to be going full speed since they started. They became  media official like instantly and already they each spent holidays with each other families sdand were posting about it. Cole and Lili May have done this too but weren’t posting about it. Seriously with Charles and Camilla it really does seem like it happened at a fast speed. I’d be more worried about that pairing if I was someone who worked on the show and behind the scenes drama. And yes while Reggie and Veronica aren’t a couple they do seem to be sharing quite a lot of scenes together this season so I’d be a little worried.

And yes when I say make it, I don’t know what I mean. I am hoping they do stay together because honestly I do think they are cute together as I said. And I brought up Charles and Camilla as a negative only because like you said it’s always a bad idea sometimes for on screen couples to fall In Love on screen and all that drama and it rarely works out but I think that’s why Lili and Cole took so long to make their relationship public. They didn’t want it to bleed into the show, for some reason this makes me think their relationship is kind of stable. Granted I obviously don’t know them but from how they’ve acted in regards to the public and their relationship, this is how I feel.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I think they are a pretty good couple, actually. And yeah it’s hard for on screen romances and yes some happen and some don’t. I’m not saying marriage but I do like them as a couple. I kind of hope they don’t break up during the shows run,  honestly. That would be really bad for the show. But I kind of hope lzt. Maybe I’m wishful thinking but I do think they’re pretty stable as a couple. 

The couple I worry about more than Lili and Cole is actually Charles and Camilla. They seem to be going full speed since they started. They became  media official like instantly and already they each spent holidays with each other families sdand were posting about it. Cole and Lili May have done this too but weren’t posting about it. Seriously with Charles and Camilla it really does seem like it happened at a fast speed. I’d be more worried about that pairing if I was someone who worked on the show and behind the scenes drama. And yes while Reggie and Veronica aren’t a couple they do seem to be sharing quite a lot of scenes together this season so I’d be a little worried.

And yes when I say make it, I don’t know what I mean. I am hoping they do stay together because honestly I do think they are cute together as I said. And I brought up Charles and Camilla as a negative only because like you said it’s always a bad idea sometimes for on screen couples to fall In Love on screen and all that drama and it rarely works out but I think that’s why Lili and Cole took so long to make their relationship public. They didn’t want it to bleed into the show, for some reason this makes me think their relationship is kind of stable. Granted I obviously don’t know them but from how they’ve acted in regards to the public and their relationship, this is how I feel.

Sprousehart seems like they might have a good chance of staying together till Riverdale's finished. After that? Well, frankly, just think of all the showbiz couples who've seemed absolutely rock solid stable and then split up. I wish the best for both SH and C&C, they're cute, but I don't expect either one to stay together too long after the show ends (which I think will be about three years from now), if that. Hollywood's track record is just that bad. I'll only hope that when if they want to move on later, they make clean breaks and stay friends. Anything more will just be a nice surprise. 

I don't know too much about Charmila, but if they're posting about themselves publicly, that's not necessarily a bad sign. It shows that even though they're probably in love, they know that this is a Hollywood romance they're in, so they're having fun with it. Private or public, either approach works depending on the actors' personalities. I'd worry less about them breaking up than SH just because if it happens, it's not going to hurt the show as much. Reggie and Veronica aren't as big of a couple on Riverdale as Betty and Jughead, and Reggie and Veronica are supposed to have a thorny, combative dynamic, so if the actors break up, it kind of fits in a way that broken up SH would not. But like I said, it seems like SH could last to the end of the show.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, redfence said:

Sprousehart seems like they might have a good chance of staying together till Riverdale's finished. After that? Well, frankly, just think of all the showbiz couples who've seemed absolutely rock solid stable and then split up. I wish the best for both SH and C&C, they're cute, but I don't expect either one to stay together too long after the show ends (which I think will be about three years from now), if that. Hollywood's track record is just that bad. I'll only hope that when if they want to move on later, they make clean breaks and stay friends. Anything more will just be a nice surprise. 

I don't know too much about Charmila, but if they're posting about themselves publicly, that's not necessarily a bad sign. It shows that even though they're probably in love, they know that this is a Hollywood romance they're in, so they're having fun with it. Private or public, either approach works depending on the actors' personalities. I'd worry less about them breaking up than SH just because if it happens, it's not going to hurt the show as much. Reggie and Veronica aren't as big of a couple on Riverdale as Betty and Jughead, and Reggie and Veronica are supposed to have a thorny, combative dynamic, so if the actors break up, it kind of fits in a way that broken up SH would not. But like I said, it seems like SH could last to the end of the show.

I think SH can last to the end of this show. I guess that’s what I meant when I said make it. But they could be together longer, who knows. I’m still unsure about C&C, because as I said they moved at a really fast speed. Lili and Cole took a really long time to announce themselves publicly and as I said I do think a lot of that was because they knew the pressures and repercussions with the show and maybe that’s why it’s different. Also this isn’t the thread to go into depth with this because I do have a lot of thoughts on it. I worry about both couples breaking up and the shows factor and all that too.

• Love 1

I don't know if C&C actually moved faster than SH? They just opened up about it faster to the public, because like I said, they seem to be leaning into the show biz aspect of their relationship, which I kind of like. I mean, Hollywood romance, it is what it is. But you're right, getting off topic here. I guess because The Man In Black was pretty boring, lol.

6 minutes ago, redfence said:

I don't know if C&C actually moved faster than SH? They just opened up about it faster to the public, because like I said, they seem to be leaning into the show biz aspect of their relationship, which I kind of like. I mean, Hollywood romance, it is what it is. But you're right, getting off topic here. I guess because The Man In Black was pretty boring, lol.

It seems fast to me, only because right before they went public she was dating someone else and then like a week after ending that relationship she was rumored to be dating Charles. And a couple weeks later they announced it on social media. Maybe it is just learning towards the Hollywood aspect but it does feel fast. I’m meh on them. I’m not Charles biggest fan though, but I like Camilla.

• Love 1