Type keyword(s) to search

S1.E07: Little Cyst

• Start Topic

On 12/5/2018 at 9:38 AM, Snow Apple said:

t I didn't like when Peggy threw away the teddy bear the little son wanted to give his sister. Sometimes she's TOO practical and no nonsense.

That hurt. But then I realized it was the show's way of telling us she'd decided on the tubal ligation-- no future sister would ever show up, and she was certain of it.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:06 PM, Mmmfloorpie said:

I hope to see the show in it's entirety at some point.

Hulu has it, so it's easy to catch up if you don't watch it live on broadcast.

This was the first episode where I really believed in the marriage between the parents. I love that they talked, even if it was arguing, and that they each took in and acknowledged the fair points made by the other.

I find both parents excessively gruff, but I like that they don't make it okay for the dad but unacceptable for the mom to be that way.

The discussion about the one kid reading too much really hit home for me. I was a reader, and for a long time as an adult I did not have a tv. My grandmother was constantly telling me to stop reading and watch tv instead, like it really offended her that I was doing the reverse.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

That hurt. But then I realized it was the show's way of telling us she'd decided on the tubal ligation-- no future sister would ever show up, and she was certain of it.

Do we know that it was a tubal ligation that was suggested?  I don't remember hearing the actual word used.  I have two friends that had hysterectomies suggested with ovarian cyst removal, hence my question.

Another great show. I've decided that thirteen-year-old me would be writing I <3 Joey in my notebooks.

LOL to his reaction at Pat's announcement that their mother is expecting a "sister," vs a cyst.

I also laughed at the priest listening to the game vs the confessionals and Peggy simultaneously shaking her head and saying "I'm feeling like I'm not being heard." Indeed.

I, too, was a little annoyed with her plopping the pink-beribboned bunny in the trash, but on rewatch, I think in that moment before Peggy tossed it, she, too, was having some "what if" qualms but held to her decision and not just figuratively, but literally, closed the door on that.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Do we know that it was a tubal ligation that was suggested?  I don't remember hearing the actual word used.  I have two friends that had hysterectomies suggested with ovarian cyst removal, hence my question.

You're right; I was making an assumption, but there was nothing in the conversation that was that specific.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:26 PM, possibilities said:

You're right; I was making an assumption, but there was nothing in the conversation that was that specific.

I was an OB/GYN resident in the early-mid 80's.  One of the hospitals where I trained was Catholic.  We used to call vaginal hysterectomies 'Catholic tubals'.  And, yes, we did a lot of them on women with a bunch of kids who didn't use contraception for religious reasons.

• Love 3
On 12/6/2018 at 5:23 PM, Sile said:

Also, I loved that they actually had a box of Super SUGAR Crisp, not the Golden Crisp (or whatever it was) cop out the company changed to later.  Something only somebody who was actually alive in the 70s would look for.

Oh man! I'm so bummed I missed that because I always have laughed at the name/branding change for that cereal.  Sugar Smacks too.  

My favorite part of this episode was Mike describing his swinging imaginary bachelor pad and Peggy asking if she could come too, and his ready assent.  I liked this for a different reason than posters above though -- I though it was a rare sweet moment between them which said that Mike would pick Peggy all over again and confirming that they still loved each other after all these years.  I think the other posters have a good point too (that it was an acknowledgement that neither of them should be stuck with the kids).  This reminded me of a little Reader's Digest blurb I read long ago about Jon Bon Jovi.  His wife told him that, if he were ever to leave her, she'd have to come too because she'd miss him.  (I'm probably getting the quote all wrong, but I thought it was sweet.) He married his high school sweetheart and they are still married after all these years and a vibrant rock career. 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 5