Type keyword(s) to search

S1.E07: Little Cyst

• Start Topic

Mike and Peggy think they may be expecting again, but Peggy is diagnosed with having a cyst instead. The experience launches them into a debate about whether or not they should have another child. Meanwhile, the kids spy on Mike and Peggy to try to figure out what all their unusual behavior is about. When Pat overhears that they are going to have a little sister, the Cleary kids decide to dig deeper and continue their investigation, which only leads them on a downward spiral.

• Love 1

Another hilarious episode.  I love this show so much!   There were so many funny lines, I would need a notebook to remember them all.  One little thing I'll mention, that made me laugh out loud, was when Joey was using his spy binoculars to scope out the car... cut to a wide angle shot and it's about 10 feet away. :D   (Side note:  my best friend and I turned seven years old in '72 and we had great fun spying on certain neighbors.  We didn't have any fancy gear like Joey, but we took our spy-craft very seriously... and she grew up to have a career in espionage.) 

This show is so packed with humor, it just flies by.  Even the disinterest of the parents cracks me up - like when the kids pretend to be fighting so their parents wouldn't know they were listening... because listening to their conversation would be a serious crime, but tying to choke each other?  ...Eh, that barely elicits a comment.

And hanging the one kid from the roof to gather intel?  That is totally something my brothers would have done back then.  (I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happened.)

The whole "are you getting divorced?" conversation was gold.

On a more serious note, I loved Peggy protesting the fact that all the males want to decide whether or not she has more kids, but none of them seemed to care what she thought or felt about it.  And her husband realizing and admitting he was wrong.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 21

I hope I don't butcher this, but another bit that made me laugh...

Peggy is telling Mike about all the new birth control options other women can use, with more than a hint of envy: 

"If it were up to me, we could try some of those new tricks everyone's been talking about.  You know, it's not just rubbers any more, Mike.  They've got cups and rings and pills and hoops.  I mean, the Protestants have a whole magic show going on down there!"

---

Peggy: "I get it.  The pope wants more Catholics.  But we've already given him almost a whole baseball team."

-------------

And also, little Pat (who was supposed to be Pete, but... birthing drugs!) cracks me up!

Pat: "I'm gonna suffocate!"

Joey: "You're small.  You don't need much air.  Just keep your ears open."

Pat:  "I can breathe through my ears??!!"

Timmy: "If you get caught, this was all your idea."

Pat: "They know I don't have ideas!!"

Edited by AnnaRose
typo
  • Love 14

I love how Lawrence is so 70s mellow about everything, backed up by one class of family counseling at the seminary: "Hey, man. How about we ask them?"

I can hear the TV announcer's voice in my head: "... and George Peppard as Banacek."

• Love 9
9 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

On a more serious note, I loved Peggy protesting the fact that all the males want to decide whether or not she has more kids, but none of them seemed to care what she thought or felt about it.  And her husband realizing and admitting he was wrong.

I knew a woman who told me when she wanted her tubes tied back in the day, the hospital would only do it if her husband signed the "permission slip." Yikes! 

As for the rest of the episode, I love all the spying. But I didn't like when Peggy threw away the teddy bear the little son wanted to give his sister. Sometimes she's TOO practical and no nonsense.

• Love 11

It was a bit odd this week that Mike's reaction to even discussing birth control with his wife was that he needed to go to confession in that as Catholics they absolutely couldn't use it. But last week he was completely fine with implicitly making sure Eddie knew exactly where to get condoms.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

It was a bit odd this week that Mike's reaction to even discussing birth control with his wife was that he needed to go to confession in that as Catholics they absolutely couldn't use it. But last week he was completely fine with implicitly making sure Eddie knew exactly where to get condoms.

They both had to go to confession right after that, though.  I like that Mike's a realist about the possibility that his son(s) might have sex, even though it goes against his beliefs.  Keep in mind that he already found one son in bed with a woman, so it's not too surprising to me that he is being pragmatic and doing what he can to prevent a pregnancy, in case it does happen.

• Love 13

The best line for me was when the one kid says "the do it all the time on tv. All these actors who don't look alike pretending to be brothers and sisters" and there's a brief self referential pause before the next line.

I only watch this show because it's after The Conners.

It's decent but to me it's more a costume drama than a show where I feel like it's actually set in the 70s. The clothes and hairstyles especially aren't 70s enough. All the boys should have hair long enough to make wings that cover their ears. Every boy in the 70s and early 80s had a haircut like this but none do in this show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

As for the rest of the episode, I love all the spying. But I didn't like when Peggy threw away the teddy bear the little son wanted to give his sister. Sometimes she's TOO practical and no nonsense.

Yeah, that bothered me. I was really attached to my stuffed animals as a child and so were my boys. Not cool.

Loved the spying. My boys used to do stuff like that and now that they're grown they tell me all the stuff they did. Raising boys was fun. I loved the dad telling the two boys that were choking each other out to take it outside. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I knew a woman who told me when she wanted her tubes tied back in the day, the hospital would only do it if her husband signed the "permission slip." Yikes! 

I thought that was hilarious. Just when you thought she’d be sentimental, bam. I LOLed. 

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

The best line for me was when the one kid says "the do it all the time on tv. All these actors who don't look alike pretending to be brothers and sisters" and there's a brief self referential pause before the next line.

It's decent but to me it's more a costume drama than a show where I feel like it's actually set in the 70s. The clothes and hairstyles especially aren't 70s enough. All the boys should have hair long enough to make wings that cover their ears. Every boy in the 70s and early 80s had a haircut like this but none do in this show.

Not if you went to Catholic school, which I am sure they all are.   I can't wait until the season on show changes from summer to school year and can't wait to see them all in school.  That was my life from K thru 12th grade and I am looking forward to seeing that portrayed.  I just freaking LOVE this show so much!

• Love 13
59 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

No way!  Not in my catholic family, and pretty much all of the boys in school had short hair.  Lawrence growing his hair long after he became an adult and lived away makes sense.  But for the other boys to have long hair... no, not going to happen.  One of the previous episode even had Mike yelling at one of the boys to "get a haircut!" even though his hair was already quite short.

3 minutes ago, Cupcake04 said:

Not if you went to Catholic school, which I am sure they all are.   I can't wait until the season on show changes from summer to school year and can't wait to see them all in school.  That was my life from K thru 12th grade and I am looking forward to seeing that portrayed.  I just freaking LOVE this show so much!

Yep, especially in Catholic school and in conservative Catholic families in general.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I thought that was hilarious. Just when you thought she’d be sentimental, bam. I LOLed.

Oh don't get me wrong. I laughed too. There's a reason why Lois from Malcolm in the Middle is my favorite TV mom.

The other funny thing was when they were talking about the divorce and the dad was describing his bachelor pad and the mom was like can I come too? Basically saying neither one wanted custody of the kids. lol. I really do like this show.

• Love 12

I thought this was the funniest episode so far.

In  early 1972, I was at some Knights of Columbus to-do and this old man got on the podium lambasting the birth control pill. Afterwards, I listened to a cluster of five or six women talking among themselves and saying things like "Oh hell no."  Someone else muttered, "Fuck that." When it came birth control, the Pope and American Catholics began parting ways. C'mon, Pope, someone's gotta have enough expendable income to support all the missions!

Is there any talk of Eddie (the 18-year old) going to college in the Fall? I don't remember.

Sometimes Peggy seems a little too caustic (although funny), but in this episode, I thought she struck the right balance. Could be I'm just getting used to her.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

No way!  Not in my catholic family, and pretty much all of the boys in school had short hair.  Lawrence growing his hair long after he became an adult and lived away makes sense.  But for the other boys to have long hair... no, not going to happen.  One of the previous episode even had Mike yelling at one of the boys to "get a haircut!" even though his hair was already quite short.

Yep, especially in Catholic school and in conservative Catholic families in general.

Not down to your shoulders long.

But everybody had hair that partially covered their ears unless they were in the military.

1977-boys-sweaters.jpg

52 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Not down to your shoulders long.

But everybody had hair that partially covered their ears unless they were in the military.

1977-boys-sweaters.jpg

Sorry, I can't agree with the use of 'everbody' in your statement.  I think they may have skipped the opening theme in this episode, but it shows all of the males lined up for haircuts outside.  It looked like Peggy gives them all military style buzz cuts.  (They are not paying for haircuts for eight boys.)  Anyway... should probably carry on any further discussion about this on the My Generation thread.  (I'm done with it though, because there's no point in arguing about whether or not everybody had hair covering their ears.)

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 15

That was a very sweet and true episode.  I am the girl born after 3 brothers in a Catholic family.  I learned later my mom had a tubal when I was born so that was the end of that.  I am guessing she and my dad had about the same conversation about men making decisions for Catholic moms.  My dad was an nth generation Catholic and my mom converted, and not even really til I was 5 when she was baptized. 

I also loved seeing Markie Post, from Night Court, as the mom who talked about the surgery. 

• Love 3

The hairstyles on this show have been bothering me too, but mostly because they look too modern and too precise to be home cut.  And judging from Catholic school class photos around that time like here and here, some young men wore their hair covering their ears, some did not.  I think they definitely needed to have more volume in their hair if not covering their ears.  You know, parting it way to the side with a big long bang combed over.  That seemed to be the most common style back then everywhere, even in public school in my class photo that year:

8th grade class photo, jhs 143, 1972-2.jpg

• Love 1

Another solid episode. These kids are more than alright! Question, the doctor who talked to Peggy and Mike sounded and looked a little like Pete Gardner from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend...anyone else think that?

The spy music was hilarious and I love the distinct personalities of each kid. And of course the record on the cereal box, ah, good times! 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Sorry, I can't agree with the use of 'everbody' in your statement.  I think they may have skipped the opening theme in this episode, but it shows all of the males lined up for haircuts outside.  It looked like Peggy gives them all military style buzz cuts.  (They are not paying for haircuts for eight boys.)  Anyway... should probably carry on any further discussion about this on the My Generation thread.  (I'm done with it though, because there's no point in arguing about whether or not everybody had hair covering their ears.)

We are having a polite discussion about it, what's wrong with that?

9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

The hairstyles on this show have been bothering me too, but mostly because they look too modern and too precise to be home cut.  And judging from Catholic school class photos around that time like here and here, some young men wore their hair covering their ears, some did not.  I think they definitely needed to have more volume in their hair if not covering their ears.  You know, parting it way to the side with a big long bang combed over.  That seemed to be the most common style back then everywhere, even in public school in my class photo that year:

8th grade class photo, jhs 143, 1972-2.jpg

Yes I totally agree. The third oldest son (I think) is particularly bothersome. He has that spiked bangs Caesar style haircut circa 1999.

The second oldest red headed son also bothers me because he wears all these really fitted shirts and he looks like an Abercrombie and Fitch model on weekends. Yet his character seems like he's supposed to be kind of a dweeb. Just put him in a loose fitting button down with oversized collar and a funky pattern paired with bell bottoms.

But these are just nitpicks. Obviously I like the show enough to come here and post about it.

Edited by Mmmfloorpie
  • Love 3

The second oldest red headed son also bothers me because he wears all these really fitted shirts and he looks like an Abercrombie and Fitch model on weekends. 

Hand-me-downs don't always fit well. And we know Peggy would've believed in hand-me-downs.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, fredfreddy44 said:

That was a very sweet and true episode.  I am the girl born after 3 brothers in a Catholic family.  I learned later my mom had a tubal when I was born so that was the end of that.  I am guessing she and my dad had about the same conversation about men making decisions for Catholic moms.  My dad was an nth generation Catholic and my mom converted, and not even really til I was 5 when she was baptized. 

I also loved seeing Markie Post, from Night Court, as the mom who talked about the surgery. 

That is who she is! I thought she looked familiar. 

7 hours ago, dingochick said:

Another solid episode. These kids are more than alright! Question, the doctor who talked to Peggy and Mike sounded and looked a little like Pete Gardner from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend...anyone else think that?

The spy music was hilarious and I love the distinct personalities of each kid. And of course the record on the cereal box, ah, good times! 

I remember records on cereal boxes and yes it was something lame like The Archies! 

• Love 3
On 12/5/2018 at 11:52 AM, Cupcake04 said:

I know that opportunities for younger kids to earn money in the summer were limited (as referenced in a previous episode) but I find it hard to believe that Eddie and possibly Frank (the 2nd and 3rd oldest kids) would not have been required by their parents to find summer jobs. Eddie must be about 17-how about delivery boy for the pharmacy (until the pharmacist narced on him) or stock boy at the grocery store?  How does he have money for his dates with Wendy?  (On the rare occasions that the mom goes out, she can hand the baby off to Frank, who would probably welcome the chance to help out.)  And is Lawrence in summer college?  How does he get money to eat out in a coffee shop, as he did with Eddie?  I'd be surprised to hear that anyone is getting an allowance.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

The second oldest red headed son also bothers me because he wears all these really fitted shirts and he looks like an Abercrombie and Fitch model on weekends. Yet his character seems like he's supposed to be kind of a dweeb. Just put him in a loose fitting button down with oversized collar and a funky pattern paired with bell bottoms.

I think Eddie is supposed to be a jock. They've made him appear to be not the sharpest tool in the shed,  but he's not a dweeb. Out of all the sons, he's probably the most like his father. Frank is the dweeb.

I thought it interesting that this is the second or third time they've asked Eddie to watch the baby. I would have thought Frank would jump at the chance. 

I expected that when Mike and Peg were in the confessional, they would end up having a discussion with the priest in the middle  (literally and figuratively).

Personally, I don't give a shit if someone's hair is an inch shorter than it "should" be for the time or if Peg's hair has a flip. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I know that opportunities for younger kids to earn money in the summer were limited (as referenced in a previous episode) but I find it hard to believe that Eddie and possibly Frank (the 2nd and 3rd oldest kids) would not have been required by their parents to find summer jobs. Eddie must be about 17-how about delivery boy for the pharmacy (until the pharmacist narced on him) or stock boy at the grocery store?  How does he have money for his dates with Wendy?  (On the rare occasions that the mom goes out, she can hand the baby off to Frank, who would probably welcome the chance to help out.)  And is Lawrence in summer college?  How does he get money to eat out in a coffee shop, as he did with Eddie?  I'd be surprised to hear that anyone is getting an allowance.

I'd be shocked to find out that Lawrence, Eddie and Frank weren't working. 

Unless state otherwise I'm going to assume they have jobs. We're not following the family through their day each episode. 

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I'd be shocked to find out that Lawrence, Eddie and Frank weren't working. 

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised either.  There is only so much information each episode can convey, especially with such a large family, and with Timmy being the narrator it made sense that we saw his job first.  We also heard William mention his paper route one episode.  Also, narrator Timmy also mentioned that Peggy wouldn't allow them to sit around and not be productive, so I wouldn't assume that just because we haven't seen each of them earning money that they aren't. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I think Eddie is supposed to be a jock. They've made him appear to be not the sharpest tool in the shed,  but he's not a dweeb. Out of all the sons, he's probably the most like his father. Frank is the dweeb.

I thought it interesting that this is the second or third time they've asked Eddie to watch the baby. I would have thought Frank would jump at the chance. 

I expected that when Mike and Peg were in the confessional, they would end up having a discussion with the priest in the middle  (literally and figuratively).

Personally, I don't give a shit if someone's hair is an inch shorter than it "should" be for the time or if Peg's hair has a flip. 

I hope to see the show in it's entirety at some point. I've become really bad at remembering to watch network tv at specific times in this on demand world.

I remember an episode he had his girlfriend in his room and he was acting very dweby.

My only point with the hair is it's something I'ved noticed in shows or movies set in the 70s. The women usually have accurate hair because it's probably just a wig. But the men never have time accurate hair because the show went in production too soon for them to grow it out or the actors just don't want to sport a 70s do in their contemporary lives.

• Love 3
On 12/6/2018 at 2:06 PM, Mmmfloorpie said:

I remember an episode he had his girlfriend in his room and he was acting very dweby.

I didn’t see him as Dweeby, I saw him trying to impress his girlfriend with “fancy” alcohol.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Peggy is getting on my nerves again.  Not EVERYTHING has to be a sarcastic comment.

Joey is still my favorite.  I can’t remember his response when Lawrence asked why he’s not in jail but it made me laugh at the time.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Peggy is getting on my nerves again.  Not EVERYTHING has to be a sarcastic comment.

Joey is still my favorite.  I can’t remember his response when Lawrence asked why he’s not in jail but it made me laugh at the time.

"I can pass any lie detector test."

Also, I loved that they actually had a box of Super SUGAR Crisp, not the Golden Crisp (or whatever it was) cop out the company changed to later.  Something only somebody who was actually alive in the 70s would look for.

I was also about to have a spell over Joey (also my fave) sporting a Zep IV t-shirt because I could have sworn that was middle 70s.  Only to look it up and discover it came out in 71!  I guess it was the mid 70s by the time I was old enough to be aware of its existence.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Yes I totally agree. The third oldest son (I think) is particularly bothersome. He has that spiked bangs Caesar style haircut circa 1999.

But these are just nitpicks. Obviously I like the show enough to come here and post about it.

Yes, I totally agree with you, and agree that these are nitpicks because I enjoy the show too.

I notice that a lot of period shows and movies often try very hard to get the period stuff right down to the littlest detail, like home decor, cars, food, music, etc., but then they goof when it comes to hair.  I've even read articles about this online, like that they do it consciously, because they don't want to offend the stars and make them wear hairstyles that are uncomfortable for them.  But then it should be no surprise that it really irks the audience that might remember that time period because it's super frustrating to see them get so much right but then bloop so badly in one area.  It's only natural to be irritated by something like that.

Speaking of period accurateness, I always thought "That 70s Show" did a pretty good job with the clothing, although it was a mishmash of different years all put together.  Being older now when I see that kind of thing it gives me a very odd feeling because it's like entering this alternate universe where everything is close, but not quite like the one you remember.  Which reminds me of a "Star Trek Next Generation" episode, but I digress.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

But then it should be no surprise that it really irks the audience that might remember that time period because it's super frustrating to see them get so much right but then bloop so badly in one area.  It's only natural to be irritated by something like that.

It neither irks, frustrates, nor irritates me, and I grew up in the '70s. When there is some aspect of a show I can't get over, I just stop watching.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

It neither irks, frustrates, nor irritates me, and I grew up in the '70s. When there is some aspect of a show I can't get over, I just stop watching.

Also, I understand that my experience of a certain time period isn’t universal. Getting histories all events wrong but not personal grooming, style, etc.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:41 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

The ingratiating son was funny. I can’t remember exactly what he ssid, but he was effusive about the mom.

Something like, The one said mom is no picnic, and he said she is a picnic on a spring day! (Close enough!) I love that he wasn’t in the room then popped out when he heard that. Weasel as always!

My husband said I would have done the same thing with Pat’s grungy bear (he’s not wrong!)

I cracked up seeing Timmy with the eye patch and mustache- leave it to the musical theatre kid to be drawn to the disguise!

I love this show!

• Love 6

Curious, would the Sugar Sugar record still be on a cereal box in 72? 

The song came out in 69, and I can clearly  remember playing the one off the cereal box not  too long after  because I drove my parents crazy playing  it in the car on a portable record player, placed on the wide flat area between seat and rear window, while traveling  to my sister's college  way before.she graduated in Jun, 71.

Edited by sheetmoss
6 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Also, I understand that my experience of a certain time period isn’t universal. Getting histories all events wrong but not personal grooming, style, etc.

That's great but it's important enough to some people to nitpick about stuff like that incessantly on many show threads on this board, too.  It doesn't mean we don't appreciate the show.  If everyone stopped watching a show because stuff about it irked them, these boards would be mostly silent, LOL.

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/10888759-period-tv-shows-movies-that-got-the-look-all-wrong

There are people who spend their careers listing time period errors and other inconsistencies too (scroll down for an extensive list):

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodCostuming

I have often thought some of these same things about these same shows/movies!

Perhaps we have too much time on our hands and should worry about more important things but I personally get enjoyment from noticing these things.  YMMV.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Something like, The one said mom is no picnic, and he said she is a picnic on a spring day! (Close enough!) I love that he wasn’t in the room then popped out when he heard that. Weasel as always!

My husband said I would have done the same thing with Pat’s grungy bear (he’s not wrong!)

I cracked up seeing Timmy with the eye patch and mustache- leave it to the musical theatre kid to be drawn to the disguise!

I love this show!

That’s it! Thank you very much. Frank is very funny. 

I know it’s a comedy, but the priest listening to a Dodgers game when he was supposed to be focused on the mom in the confessional made me a little sad.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Pat gave the grungy bear to his mother to give to his little sister if they ever had one... and the way she looked at it and then threw it out... I think that may be an indication that Peggy had made her decision and was going to have the doctor do the procedure so she wouldn't have any more kids.  That's what I took from it the second time I watched it.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Yes, I totally agree with you, and agree that these are nitpicks because I enjoy the show too.

I notice that a lot of period shows and movies often try very hard to get the period stuff right down to the littlest detail, like home decor, cars, food, music, etc., but then they goof when it comes to hair.  I've even read articles about this online, like that they do it consciously, because they don't want to offend the stars and make them wear hairstyles that are uncomfortable for them.  But then it should be no surprise that it really irks the audience that might remember that time period because it's super frustrating to see them get so much right but then bloop so badly in one area.  It's only natural to be irritated by something like that.

Speaking of period accurateness, I always thought "That 70s Show" did a pretty good job with the clothing, although it was a mishmash of different years all put together.  Being older now when I see that kind of thing it gives me a very odd feeling because it's like entering this alternate universe where everything is close, but not quite like the one you remember.  Which reminds me of a "Star Trek Next Generation" episode, but I digress.

Haha, "Parallels"?

I wasn't a fan of That 70s Show but you are absolutely right about it having accurate hair. Topher Grace had ear muffs, Kutcher had a perfect 70s do too. Kelso and Fez as well.

Another example of getting the hair right is Dazed and Confused.

Maybe the hair isn't too wild yet since the show is set in the early 70s presumably because if they get an 8 year run they don't want to be in the 80s by season 3 lol.

The clothes are also vaguely 70s but not quite right. Sort of like a production designer going through pages and pages of clothes on Amazon to find 70s looking clothes instead of the genuine article. But I guess the farther we get from the 70s the harder it is to find authentic items.

The house looks very 70s though. Lots of period cars on the streets in outdoor shots too. Again, I do really enjoy the show.

4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That's great but it's important enough to some people to nitpick about stuff like that incessantly on many show threads on this board, too.  It doesn't mean we don't appreciate the show.  If everyone stopped watching a show because stuff about it irked them, these boards would be mostly silent, LOL.

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/10888759-period-tv-shows-movies-that-got-the-look-all-wrong

There are people who spend their careers listing time period errors and other inconsistencies too (scroll down for an extensive list):

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodCostuming

I have often thought some of these same things about these same shows/movies!

Perhaps we have too much time on our hands and should worry about more important things but I personally get enjoyment from noticing these things.  YMMV.

I'd personally love being a continuity person on a movie/tv show.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, zxy556575 said:

There's a separate thread for the nostalgic nitpicking debates. I personally think it veers a bit off topic in the episode threads, is all.

True. The reason it started is because I wanted to post my favourite quote from the episode and just threw out the part about the hair. Didn't think it would have any legs though.

But, sometimes the best part of a discussion forum is when the conversation veers slightly.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

Pat gave the grungy bear to his mother to give to his little sister if they ever had one... and the way she looked at it and then threw it out... I think that may be an indication that Peggy had made her decision and was going to have the doctor do the procedure so she wouldn't have any more kids.  That's what I took from it the second time I watched it.

That's the impression I got. Mom knows she isn't going to have any more kids so there won't be any little sister. Since there will be no little sister, there's no need to keep the grungy bear.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Rockstar99435 said:

Since there will be no little sister, there's no need to keep the grungy bear.

She could have given the bear right back to Pat since she knew it meant a lot to him and said that was nice, you hold onto it for now.  Or, as it was grungy, she could have taken the opportunity to wash it and then give it back to Pat.  What she did was nasty, because she knows the bear meant something to Pat and he was being nice in sacrificing it for his "sister" though Pat will never know. 

I don't like Peg.  She is nasty and uncaring towards her kids for the sake of nastiness and this is an example.   No reason she couldn't have been nice to Pat and given him back the bear.  She is really heartless toward the kids for no reason.  Plus I get the impression she relishes being nasty to them.  Such behavior in no way makes her a better parent, makes the kids better, and doesn't make it easier raising so many kids.  Just unnecessarily nasty, IMO.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Rockstar99435 said:

That's the impression I got. Mom knows she isn't going to have any more kids so there won't be any little sister. Since there will be no little sister, there's no need to keep the grungy bear.

I got that from it too, but she did say as she threw it away that she was trying to get it away from him for months.......

• Love 1
On 12/5/2018 at 11:17 PM, fredfreddy44 said:

I was wondering if that was her, but IMDB was no help. Good to see her. Also, liked seeing Paul Dooley - who is 90! - as the priest.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:41 AM, mojito said:

And we know Peggy would've believed in hand-me-downs.

She does. She mentioned that in one early episode that she didn't want Pat to outgrow William so he could get his hand-me-downs. And yay on me for finally remembering all the sons names. Only took 8 episodes! It was slightly better than Game of Thrones Season 1, where it took me all season to learn the Stark kids names.

I do wonder how much this show will adhere to the years and actually move forward in time, or be purposely vague like the Goldbergs. I think this year is 1973-ish.

• Love 2