Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E12 Will Returns to China

• Start Topic

On 2018-12-09 at 11:21 AM, BitterApple said:

Regarding appreciation, that has to be taught. It won't come automatically just because Will and Zoey were once impoverished orphans. My uncle has two adopted children from Russia. They're teenagers now and both are spoiled rotten and very nasty. 

Ironically, their family environment strongly mimics the Kleins. My uncle is a wealthy attorney, there was no discipline, an overabundance of material objects and a whole horde of extended family members who thought it was just adorable when the kids would be sassy as toddlers. Fast forward fifteen years and a mouthy teenager isn't quite as darling. 

I'm 50/50 on whether Bill and Jen will instill those values. There's times when I think they're grounded and times when I think they've come to believe their own hype. Time will tell.

While a little girl swatting Jen is “cute”, when she’s 15, she could hurt her Mom.  I have to agree with the poster who thought that Bill may prod the kids to misbehave for the cameras.  Wonder if he knows this is turning off the viewers?

• Love 9
On 12/18/2018 at 8:58 AM, Kid said:

I’ve just finished watching both episodes and here are my thoughts:

1.  Zoey is adorable but her behavior is not. I could not believe she swatted away her mother’s hand.  Let’s just say, if she were my kid,  we would’ve had a “come to Jesus” as they say in Texas.

2.  I thought Will’s behavior in China was great.  He was mannered (except for licking his hands then touching food) and he looked like he was very comfortable.  I think that Bill’s mother was correct in the reason why he did not want to leave.

3.   I found it odd that Bill‘s mother and her husband always seem to be relegated to the backseat both literally and figuratively. That is unfortunate because they appeared to be very lovely people. 

4.  Bill’s father is a bit much. I will leave it at that.

5.  If Jen got that forceful with her kids when they swat her hands away or push her or run around screaming in public places as she did when they were sampling the food in the chef’s kitchen, they would be much better mannered children.  I understand her concern but her behavior was insulting to her hosts.  Of course, if they did not totally dismiss her when she talks, she would’ve only had to tell them once rather than repeatedly.

I also noticed that about Bill's Mom Barbara & her husband Chuck. I just love seeing them! Chuck is so laid back and unassuming. So genuine. He's always the one on the floor with the kids or quietly playing with them. Reminds me of my grandfather whom I adored. Bill Sr. was trying way too hard to be the life of the party in China. He seems nice enough but his 'antics' wore thin for me pretty quickly. Will did seem super comfortable in China, acting very mature. I wonder, as an adoptive parent, if it might feel a little threatening to have your child feel so at home so far away from your actual home in the US. I mean, you want them to be happy but what if they are happier in the land they were born in? Either way, adoptive parents have my genuine respect.

• Love 13
On 12/7/2018 at 3:37 PM, JerseyGirl said:

How did Bill and family pay for NYU?  It's a very expensive private university, not a State university where I could see him getting scholarships and State aid.  The tuition alone is over $40,000 a year!

It wouldn't have been $40K when Bill attended. Probably half that then - and he would probably have been eligible for scholarships, Pell Grant [esp if his home $ situation was still as dire as has been described in other comments here], NYS tuition assistance grants etc. Not to mention he probably had some serious student loans accrued when he graduated. Personally I don't know how middle class kids today manage at all. When I went to college in the late 70s, tuition at my private Catholic girls college was about $2K a year, and room/board/fees/books etc was another $2k. Now kids seem to spend $2K a year on books alone! It's shocking. But look at the schools! I retired 5 years ago from the admissions office at a major university in the NE after 30 years there & in the time I worked there, there were always new buildings going up and the place was virtually a resort. Pools, gym, tracks, field house & I don't even know how many restaurants, cafes, coffee places, sandwich shops, bistros etc were on campus. All these country club extras cost a lot of $. What happened to colleges that had classroom buildings, labs, a good library and a Union or rathskeller? Do they really need hair salons & yogurt shops on campus? Especially the schools in major cities where there are plenty of facilities & services available off-campus. Oh well - climbing down off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening. 

• Love 7

My uncle has two adopted children from Russia. They're teenagers now and both are spoiled rotten and very nasty. 

I do not know a single acquaintance who has had a good experience adopting from Russia. 

Families who have adopted from China and Korea have had very positive experiences; I don't know anyone who has adopted from India.     

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I do not know a single acquaintance who has had a good experience adopting from Russia. 

Families who have adopted from China and Korea have had very positive experiences; I don't know anyone who has adopted from India.     

I've heard the same. My cousins have been to therapists, special schools, mental health facilities, the whole nine yards and nothing has worked. They're completely off the wall.

• Love 3
On 12/6/2018 at 8:15 PM, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

I never wanted to see China except for a few years ago. My oldest nephew moved there after high school to teach children to speak English. He absolutely fell in love with the country and said he never wanted to live in the US again. To him, he'd found home. Sadly, he got his wish. Just before he turned 20, he contracted spinal meningitis and was gone in days. Now, I see the beauty he saw. 

I was kind of glad that Zoey was asleep at the school. I was happy seeing Will experience the Chinese school all by himself. I hope when they take Zoey to India she gets the chance to experience something of her culture on her own. The kids don't have to both do everything.

So sorry to hear that about your nephew. Deepest condolences. At least he got to live for a while in a place he truly loved & felt so comfortable in...

• Love 1
On 4/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

Alcoholism is a problem among women (and men) in Russia and some Eastern European countries. The outcomes of these abandoned babies can be problematic, unfortunately, but the children in orphanages have no other options, so bless the people who give them homes. 

• Love 1
On 4/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

A friend adopted 2; a boy and a girl. Both have graduated from high school and are doing well. Smart, empathetic kids.

• Love 2

I haven't taken the time to read through the comments, so my apologies if I am repeating another's post. I am halfway through watching the episode (yes, I realize I am really behind for this show) and I am enjoying myself considerably. I stopped watching the show when I found myself snark-picking Will's eating habits, or Zoey's bossy-boots moments as the parents and kids got on my nerves. Today's viewing made me realize that both kids are thriving and kudos to Bill and Jen for sharing their experiences with us, despite all our online judgements. I can see these children are being guided into becoming amazing adults. Having all the grandparents involved, as well as Kate and her partner, highlights how true the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child" applies. Imagine if all of us had this type of support for our own families? Such a beautiful notion. Ah well... back to my reality (ha!).

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Chalby said:

I haven't taken the time to read through the comments, so my apologies if I am repeating another's post. I am halfway through watching the episode (yes, I realize I am really behind for this show) and I am enjoying myself considerably. I stopped watching the show when I found myself snark-picking Will's eating habits, or Zoey's bossy-boots moments as the parents and kids got on my nerves. Today's viewing made me realize that both kids are thriving and kudos to Bill and Jen for sharing their experiences with us, despite all our online judgements. I can see these children are being guided into becoming amazing adults. Having all the grandparents involved, as well as Kate and her partner, highlights how true the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child" applies. Imagine if all of us had this type of support for our own families? Such a beautiful notion. Ah well... back to my reality (ha!).

Regarding the bolded, with all due respect, Kate is married; she doesn’t have a partner in the “unmarried but in a relationship” sense. In fact, Zoey and Will were in Kate’s wedding, which was apparently around 2 years ago now, according to the date on the linked article.

For the part about the wedding, scroll down until you see an ad with the caption “Promote Healthier Lives”. The paragraph under that talks about Zoey & Will being in Kate (& her now husband Trey)’s wedding. Under that paragraph is a pic from Jen’s Instagram, of Zoey in a frilly white dress, & white shoes, like female members of a wedding party might wear. Jen said in the caption that Zoey was Kate’s flower girl.

Under the pic of Zoey there’s another ad, followed by a pic of Will looking very handsome in a tux with a deep pink carnation(?). It’s also from Jen’s Instagram. The caption doesn’t say what role Will might’ve played in the wedding party; it just says “Handsome Will! Ready for a beautiful wedding!” I think I heard Will was the ring bearer though.

• Love 2
On 8/7/2019 at 2:55 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded, with all due respect, Kate is married; she doesn’t have a partner in the “unmarried but in a relationship” sense.

I only wrote that because I wasn't sure if he was still her fiancee or if they were married. Regardless, he's still her partner.

• Love 1
On 12/23/2018 at 8:19 AM, CaliCannoli said:

Bill Sr. was trying way too hard to be the life of the party in China. He seems nice enough but his 'antics' wore thin for me pretty quickly. 

I really enjoy Bill Sr. and love seeing him well up when he speaks of Will. I too was cringing at some of his behaviour on any trip as I don't want him to fit the stereotype of impolite American tourists.

On 12/20/2018 at 4:57 PM, Libby said:

I don't think that Bill and Jen should be putting the kids on TV for their own financial gain, but the kids are still extremely lucky that they were adopted by the Kleins.

Normally I would agree, but I have to say I enjoyed watching the series because the kids were young and it showed me how much effort went into making these kids feel loved and safe, (without whining how much money it was costing them). I also loved watching Jen and Bill navigate the path of parenthood while also helping Will to hear, showing great patience with food, sharing, expressing their thoughts, etc., and still showing the kids that both parents work.