Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E11: So Smart They're Dumb

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Emotions are sparked when loved ones visit the castaways. Also, a tribal blindside could create a crack in the Mason-Dixon alliance, and one castaway could break the game wide open by targeting their No. 1 ally.

My heart can’t take much more of this season.  Thank the Survivor Gods Christian is safe.

Gabby took that better than I thought.  I would love to see her play again, as I think gaining some perspective would help her the second time.

• Love 20

Oh, oh, Gabby's crying at watching Davie run to his mom. What a shocking display of emotion!! 

Kara's brother, Eric, looks pretty nice. Maybe it's time for another Blood vs. Water.

Nick's dad looks like a chubby Dale (Kelly Wentworth's dad).

Oh no, now Gabby's crying because she sees her mom!! How dare she!

I was hoping to see Mel as Mike's loved one.

I had a feeling Christian had a girlfriend. I wonder if Gabby has a broken heart.

Whenever I see a digging challenge, I think of the one in Worlds Apart that took Caleb out of the game.

• Love 10

Loved one visits are usually pretty much the same, but still…Christian introducing his girlfriend to his “new friend Jeff” was pretty hilarious!!  I have a bad feeling he’s not long for this game—and I think he knows it too, if his “we’ll see each other soon” is any indication.  Although to be fair, there’s only a few days left in the game…and he’d be seeing her again in three days at the next Tribal Council…but still.  Unless he’s able to find the idol again, there’s no way he’s not gone next week.  I don’t think he’s ticked off enough people not to be taken to the end as a goat.

• Love 13

I’ve never liked the loved ones episodes. They act like they haven’t seen their loved ones in years and afterwards aren’t going to see them for another year. 

Buh bye Gabby, I won’t miss her whining and crying. I thought her and Christian were maybe going to be a couple but Christian has a girlfriend. 

Good idea to try to get Christian out but he is playing the hell out of this game with his ‘big brain’. 

• Love 19

Well my speculation in the Preview thread didn't come true. Gabby really is scheming to get out Christian. Maybe she's a real schemer and she's going to run to Christian and say, "Hey they're going to vote for you tonight" so he'll play his idol; but actually, a better bullet point on her resume would be voting him out with an idol in his pocket.

I guess they don't want this immunity challenge to last 5 hours. After 5 minutes they go to phase 2. Christian is going to be suspicious of Gabby after her comment at immunity, saying she doesn't want to tell him anything when he asks how he's doing.

This starting to get Shakespearean with all these betrayals and double betrayals. To be honest, I think Gabby was a little ticked that Christian has a girlfriend. This is going to be another suspenseful tribal council.

I like Alison calling Jeff the "grim reaper" at TC.

Ha! I had a feeling Gabby was going to be voted out. Funny, she didn’t cry when she was voted out.

• Love 16

I have to admit, I began to feel a little ill all episode, remembering something posted here weeks ago that seemed to spell out the direction that this game is going.....   I just really hope that it was speculation, and not an actual spoiler.  

Nick looks really handsome with a tan.  Really handsome lately.  The most amusing thing about him is his lack of a poker face - his reaction after Christian whipped out the idol was insane.  And when Davie embraced his mother, the camera panned to Nick absolutely LOSING it - wringing his hands and just going nuts.  I would be too!

I assume Davie voted for Christian to make his vote look unsuspicious.  But it would be weird for him not to care who's going.  Unless he wanted Christian to go?  

Who did Christian vote for?  The lone vote for Alison it must be.

I love the family visits.  It was really weird when Davie's mom called him her most loveable child.  Geez, calm down.  That sounds like something my mother would say though to be honest.  About someone else.

It's not like I LIKE Angelina - her bragging to her mother about the whatever was hilarious, and so was Jeff kind of dragging her mom - but.........  I don't know.  I like her a lot better than Alison.  LOL

I can't stand that guy on the jury.  I don't even know his name.  The one that Kara turned on.  He always has this look on his face like "Nope, I won't look any of you in the eye, nope, I'm not pissed or embarrassed to be here". This will sound nuts of me but that look on his face is so fake and it drives me crazy.  LOL.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, Eolivet said:

And this is why Eponine (Gabby) will always take the bullet meant for Marius (Christian). First, she kept muttering "true love, true love" when Cosette (Christian's girlfriend Emily) showed up, then I thought she was going to start singing "On My Own" back at camp.

Except this Eponine fired the shot and it ricocheted back to her. 

• Love 20

Excellent finish!

We begin with Civil War on the Mason-Dixon Line.  I agree with Nick.  They should have hung with Carl for one more vote.

Loved ones.  Ugh.  I hate this episode every season.  Peachy's questions were especially cringeworthy tonight.

Angelina dead last......and pulls out the win, and introduces the new F4.....

Jealous Gabby decides she is some great mastermind and needs to off Christian to somehow rule the game by taking out her best ally to prove her greatness.  OY!  Kara of course jumps on that and will quickly tell the Reward4.  

Nice challenge.  I wouldn't last a minute.  Well done Kara.  I suppose the peanut gallery yakking shows the pecking order sort of, but I would like them all just to be quiet.

Great scrambling.  I think Nick and Gabby are being stupid taking out Christian, because the remaining Goliaths will then just pick them off after Davie.  

Gabby exposed herself as a snake and got her crying head cut off.  Boo Hoo Hoo.

Gabby - "I am woman hear me roar" - going after Carl killed your game.  It's strangely cute how she is so proud of herself for making the "Big Move"

Angie and Mike took her out.  Wow!  eta split votes to save Allison?

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 6

Well, that was satisfying. It wasn't even so much that I would have hated to see Christian go; but it was more that I loved seeing Gabby's brilliant plan blow up in her face. 

I mean, her reasoning wasn't wrong. Christian IS a serious threat and she can't beat him. But betraying your closest friend doesn't always sit well with the jury anyway. I don't think she even considered that. She was just all, "Big Move! Big Move! Big Move!"

And then she starts kissing his butt when she realized he was safe? GTFO.

I'd like to know what it was that made Christian decide to play his Idol, though. He seemed so convinced by Nick on the beach. Then he randomly looks around at TC and figures it out?

I like Nick, so I'm kind of bummed they're not playing together anymore. But I get it. 

I think that actually adds to my overall enjoyment of this season, though. There's a lot of good, thoughtful gameplay going on. And I find myself just appreciating the moves, even if they disappoint me on a personal level. Basically....there's a myriad of ways things could play out and I'll be satisfied. 

P. S. As one of the few who actually enjoys the loved ones visit - who was cutting onions in here???

• Love 20

I am loving this season!  I was holding my breath and hoping Christian would use his idol.  He's grown on me and now I want him to win.  I couldn't understand why Gabby would vote out her biggest ally.  The sad part is if it worked it probably wouldn't have mattered in the end.  I'm glad it didn't work.  I like that people are thinking before tribal counsel and that they came up with voting Gabby "just in case"

I sure hope Christian finds an idol when they go back to camp.

I've cried every season when the loved ones come on.  Go figure.  I don't even know why..

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Great scrambling.  I think Nick and Gabby are being stupid taking out Christian, because the remaining Goliaths will then just pick them off after Davie.  

I'm not sure the original teams have any meaning anymore. Everyone is pretty much scrambling for themselves, which is making the game a lot more interesting. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I'd like to know what it was that made Christian decide to play his Idol, though. He seemed so convinced by Nick on the beach. Then he randomly looks around at TC and figures it out?

I think Christian is really good at reading the room. Of course it helped that Davie told him what was going on.

• Love 18

I had to laugh at the family visit when Angelina's mom gave her a hug and said "you got this" which was  a flashback to a few episodes ago when Angelina right before going into tribal said to herself "I got this"  The editors are very good at their jobs.

I think once they showed Gabby apologizing to Alison I knew she was a goner. Again, good job editors there. Gabby had the right idea but I don't think she could have anticipated Davie ruining her plan.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Angie and Mike took her out.  Wow!  eta split votes to save Allison?

I thought that their ultimate target was Gabby.  Somebody - NICK even though the cameras pretended it was Davie - said outright that Christian has an idol. I assumed Davie was fine with this, but then he refused to participate in the vote.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, susannot said:

OK, who is left? Davie, Nick, Christian (Davids). Angelina, Alison, Kara, Mike (Goliaths).  Who am I forgetting?

You've listed everybody remaining. Only seven players are still in the game!

18 minutes ago, susannot said:

OK, based upon everything, I think Kara will be the winner.  I want it to be Davie but don't think that will happen.

I was thinking about Kara, but is she always on the wrong side of the vote, playing catch up afterwards?  Am I wrong about that?  

The contrast between Angry Nick and Not Taking it Personally Davie was fascinating.  Nick is going to have that look on his face next week AGAIN, and it will be hilarious.  

Guys, the Goliaths and Davids don't care about those lines anymore!  Nick and Davie embraced Angelina and Gabby and Christian embraced Alison.  Gabby figured she connected better with Alison than with Carl ages ago.  I get that Carl and Nick fell all over themselves gaining the majority and it WAS smart, but now it's very much each person for him/herself.

Can someone translate to me what Nick was saying at Tribal Council about taking someone to the end?  It was very quick, and everyone seemed to understand what he said and meant but me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

I don't understand why Gabby wanted to vote out her biggest ally.   

Cause shes all big moves and getting credit for them. Yet should've realized she would've shot up the target list 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The contrast between Angry Nick and Not Taking it Personally Davie was fascinating.  Nick is going to have that look on his face next week AGAIN, and it will be hilarious.  

Yeah, it made me remember why I didn’t like Nick at first.

• Love 3

Probst: Okay, if anybody wants to play a hidden immunity idol, now would be the time to do so.

[dead silence]

Probst: Alr-

Christian: Jeff?

Probst: Yeah?

Christian: Hang on, I haven't made up my mind. (eyes roll into the back of his head, as old-timey computer noises come from his ears) Calculating . . . calculating . . . utilizing RoomRead v5.4 . . . (cash register ding!) Okay, I'm playing my idol. It's covered in foot sweat, so if you decide to burn it, I will understand.

Probst: I love you, Christian. Normally, I'd be lap dancing on the other guys. Well, except for Mike. But you're such a cute beta male!

Christian: Well, I do try.

Still feeling ambivalent, but I've been getting why this might go down as one of the better seasons. I can't keep track of the scheming, but it came down to the majority gunning for Christian, and that didn't work. In the end, Gabby got the boot . . . and Christian was probably oblivious to that, as he voted for Alison. And it feels like a season of good cheer,in the sense that the hatred isn't all there. Of course, I am coming off watching a season of The Challenge that managed to hit even lower depths, so anyone would look better. I could even have taken Natalie ahead of most of those assholes.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I’ve only just started but holy hell Angelina.  She is a not only annoying and a braggart, but a fake crier too.

Like I said, I'm coming off The Challenge . . . including folks like Ashley, Cara Maria, Amanda, and all sorts of bitches and trainwrecks. Angelina doesn't register for me. Unless Angelina wins by riding the shoulders of a partner, then takes the $1 million prize all for herself, I'm good with her. Once again, though, I'm ambivalent in general.

2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I was hoping to see Mel as Mike's loved one.

I had a feeling Christian had a girlfriend. I wonder if Gabby has a broken heart.

I was thinking Mel would show up as well. And I probably would have put a little money on Christian's loved one being a robot he built in high school.

Edited for tweaking.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Yeah, it made me remember why I didn’t like Nick at first.

It's fascinating to me that Davie remains calm and is thinking (I am speculating) hey, Christian and Gabby didn't target ME, and tomorrow is another day, so I'll just figure things out.  Whereas Nick is like, Christian is dead to me.  It's intensely fascinating.  Davie immediately moved on and decided to use Christian to further his game (in his mind) whereas Nick decided his only path in this game was to remove Christian.  But was Nick even thinking about his own game, or just revenge?  I could go on and on.  It was very cool.  It was a spectacular episode, with so many interesting little moments and reactions.  It was beautifully edited.  It could have been called "Nick's Emotions".  LOL.  Or Gabby Hears a Who.  Ah, forget I said that, I'm just kidding.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 23
7 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

it's hard to ignore that once they come back from the loved ones reward challenge, you see Christian talking to Kara about his girlfriend, Gabby suddenly decides that she just has to make her big move against him.

The jealousy just took over her game and she went on this mission to whack Christian.  Whoops!

• Love 16

Gabby crediting Christian for having a big brain when he once again had nothing to do with this move. That was all Davie. Christian gets voted out with an idol if Davie doesn't clue him in. 

• Love 23

I always love the loved ones visits because you get so much insight into people. But tonight for the first time, the visits made me feel bad. Every season people say "What wimps! Why are they crying just because they haven't seen their families for a few weeks". But obviously, there must be a reason, because each season 100% of the Survivors start crying like babies. 

This time, I realized they all seemed sort of traumatized, and I felt bad. I can't remember which one said that even though they wanted to think of the others as friends, they always knew they could be plotting against them. It's fun for us to watch, but maybe not fun for them to experience, especially given their universally emotional reaction to seeing people they knew weren't secretly about to stab them in the back. So yes, I felt bad. 

On a different note, Gabby voting out Christian encapsulates everything I love about Survivor. And life. We always think we know what's going to happen, and so often, we're completely wrong. 

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, susannot said:

Jay I hope you're right.

I am just crazy about Davie.  Many of you agree with me, right?  I think his strategy is to let the crazy white people vote each other out.  I hope that doesn't sound racist but if I were a smart black guy on the show I would follow that strategy. So far NO ONE has viewed him as a threat.  

I've been on the Davie train for awhile.  I hope he can get to Final.

• Love 15

Stephen Fishbach made a good point on RHAP about why this was actually a good time for Gabby to make this move. If she succeeds she will get credit for taking out Christian. If she waits until the final 5 when EVERYONE will want Christian out it is no longer her move.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 10

It's fine that Gabby wanted to make that move!  But she obviously failed!  She involved too many people and the wrong people.  The move is not the wrong thing it's the execution.  That's why I was so annoyed at her at Tribal Council, practically turning the letters Vanna White-style to reveal I AM VOTING YOU OUT CHRISTIAN.

I didn't understand why Kara wanted to remove that guy whose name I can never remember, but Gabby explained her motivation for wanting to remove Christian perfectly.  She just underestimated the other possibilities and reactions.

It's extremely cool that Davie has all of his own ideas when a bunch of people basically spell out what he "should" do for "his" game.  I have no idea what Mike is thinking but the editors are painting him as Davie's opposite.  He's so smug at the reward challenge telling his boyfriend that everyone thinks Mike's in their pocket but honestly, does Mike even know what he wants to do in this game? I would like to be shown that, if there's any concrete idea.  Mike looked really uncomfortable after the Gabby vote was revealed.  I assume it's because he's always seen Christian as a major threat and Christian proved him right.

I don't particularly buy this theory that Gabby is lying to the camerapeople and that her real motivation is that she was angry at Christian for having a girlfriend.  I take her at her word.  That's seeing a lot of deceit that might not be there.  She spelled it out, seeing Christian comfort his girlfriend made her realize that's how everyone sees her in this game - as Christian's thing to be comforted.  And she was likely right.  She's never been much of a liar before, she's always been transparent, so yeah I don't agree.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 15

Nick also showed his hand at tribal by saying sometimes the best play is to take out someone who's both a threat as well as a friend who might want you to win.  That plus Gabby's transparent almost confession told Christian he was in danger.

Edited by ICantDoThatDave
  • Love 13
7 minutes ago, cdnalor said:

And it really does seem like Gabby turned on him after seeing Christian's girlfriend.  Editing?

Now that I've had a moment to think about it, I'm wondering if the issue for Gabby wasn't so much a romantic jealousy per se but that Christian never told her he had a girlfriend. Hear me out. Christian and Gabby were clearly as close as two people could be out there in that game, without it being romantic. Which means they likely spent hours just talking, and a lot of it maybe not about the game. They probably did talk about home, life, work, etc.

If in all that time he never mentioned his girlfriend, I'm wondering if in Gabby's mind, all his protectiveness and emotional connection with her was strategy to where he never exactly crossed the line into cheating but sort of created this emotional intimacy that kept her loyal to him. Now, do I think Christian was that clinical and strategic, no. But I'm wondering if that's where her mind went to and that then just solidified even more to her the amazing game he's playing and how much they need to get him out, when he wasn't expecting it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

I absolutely cannot stand Gabby. I know it’s just a matter of time before they vote out Christian but I’m so glad it didn’t happen during Gabby’s “big move”. I thoroughly enjoyed watching her and her gumption get booted.

I still can’t believe the Davids worked so hard to get the numbers advantage then handed it right back to the Goliaths.

I was first ambivalent on Gabby, then started to like her, then soured a little bit since last week.  Now I put her in the bottom quarter of the season.  It is astounding how she could have made such a stupid move.

The fact that all of the former Davids were willing to vote for one of their own is equally astounding.  They're either super confident they won't all be picked off, or as dumb as that move Gabby made.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Wow, another really interesting episode!  Gabby, hoisted on her own petard. The only time she didn't cry was when she was voted out. 

Was this the first time Mike was on the right side of the vote?  Davie voted for Christian?

That gave me the idea that folks saying her crying nature was an act is true, or at least she made it out to be worse than usual.

Davie did vote Christian.

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Like, she could have waited.  Good on Davie for foiling her plan.

Exactly!

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Well my speculation in the Preview thread didn't come true. Gabby really is scheming to get out Christian.

I like Alison calling Jeff the "grim reaper" at TC...

Me too.  First when my predicted target won immunity lol.  I really thought Gabby was smarter than throwing out Christian's name and not having it be a ploy to boot Alison or another Goliath.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have to admit, I began to feel a little ill all episode, remembering something posted here weeks ago that seemed to spell out the direction that this game is going.....   I just really hope that it was speculation, and not an actual spoiler. 

It's not like I LIKE Angelina - her bragging to her mother about the whatever was hilarious, and so was Jeff kind of dragging her mom - but.........  I don't know.  I like her a lot better than Alison.  LOL

May that have been regarding Pagonging?  There is no way I would've voted out one of my own original tribe mates at this point.

Oh and I loved how Jeff said something like 'even [Angelina's] mom is playing the game!'

1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

We begin with Civil War on the Mason-Dixon Line.  I agree with Nick.  They should have hung with Carl for one more vote.

They should have kept Carl, but Nick is a lot more emotional than I would have thought.  I would have thought him analytical enough to keep Christian for another week or two.

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

It looked like Gabby averted her eyes when Christian looked at her.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Guys, the Goliaths and Davids don't care about those lines anymore!

That contrast surprised me.  Again, I thought Nick would vote with his head, not his heart.

They may not, but I'd play a lot more paranoid in either of the original tribes' shoes.  More seriously so as a David, because having any single David in the F3 would seriously threaten a Goliath's chances at the 1M.

Edited by Mark2
  • Love 2