Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E08: Jason Momoa / Mumford & Sons

• Start Topic

I liked the episode pretty well, but I really needed Jason to speak up/enunciate more, because I could barely understand what he was saying in most of the sketches. Did anyone else have trouble understanding his lines? Especially in the sleigh ride sketch?

A Christmas Carol and Day of the Dorks started off well, but never really went anywhere.

I loved the First Impressions sketch. It was just one of those "WTF is happening...this is ridiculous, but hilarious!" sketches for me.

Rudolph was the best of the night IMO. Pete was awesome.  I wondered why they only had six reindeer, though, besides Rudolph.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

I loved the First Impressions sketch. It was just one of those "WTF is happening...this is ridiculous, but hilarious!" sketches for me.

Same! The dad being into the game was so random and hilarious. (And it was funny to see Jason with "normal" dad hair. The hair and makeup people on SNL are truly amazing.)

GE's Big Boy line is an instant classic ad parody. For me it's up there with Schmitt's Gay Beer as one of their best ever. 

I also hope Elves on the Shelf becomes one of their Christmas classics. So funny! 

I usually don't care for the child characters on WU, but I loved Aidy's seventh grade travel expert. 

• Love 1

The monologue was Leslie Jones’s idea. She said it came to her in a dream. The song is one of her favorites. She said she realized just before pitching it that the song talked about not being able to swim, but thought Aquaman dancing to Aquaboogie would be awesome. 

• Love 4

I've never really gotten the Jason Mamoa appeal - he just seems desperate and slightly dull (and somewhat grimy) depending on the appearance, but kudos to him for trying his best. 

I wish I was surprised that Che and SNL are defending Kevin Hart's anti-gay comments. SNL's conservatism is never far from its tiny, tiny heart. 

• Love 1

I've loved Jason Mamoa since Stargate, so I loved seeing him here.  All the skits were good and funny, except I wasn't a fan of First Impressions. 

LOL'd at the Elf on a Shelf skit.  Yes, what to do when one's charges get a bit too old...

Thank you for Christmas Carol.

Rudolf was hilarious.

Big Boy applicances, you just know that life will imitate art there.

Ghost Drogo was very funny, Oberon's eyes!!!  Brienne!? wait, what?!

Dorks - Jason just inhaled that part.

• Love 2

Once again, the best bits were taped in advance. 

Elf on the Shelf is creepy. And is not made funny by an obvious bit referring to a boy's age.

A music act I enjoyed? Finally. And I always made fun of M&S because of too much banjo. 

Pete remains not funny to me. 

Bobby De? Wow...painful as usual. I assume he was at the dress. There weren't that many lines. 

• Love 1

SNL does have issues this season, the writing is indeed off, and for some reason, the camera work is off, I saw the camera on the wrong person several times. Who is in charge of that??

Overall though, it was a funny, lighthearted episode. I laughed out loud on Elf on the Shelf, and I loved Pete in Rudolph. "Well, well, well," was such a wonderful turn, and he did it perfectly.

I adore Mikey, so I'm not mad at his anchoring almost every sketch this week. In previous episodes, he was nowhere to be found.

I love Aidy, she's adorable, and I loved the 7th grade character.

Onward to Matt Damon! I hope he slays like he did in the Kavanaugh sketch.

16 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

I liked the episode pretty well, but I really needed Jason to speak up/enunciate more, because I could barely understand what he was saying in most of the sketches. Did anyone else have trouble understanding his lines? Especially in the sleigh ride sketch?

Me too.  I was most confused in the GoT sketch, because sometimes he was speaking that foreign language, and they subtitled it, and then other times it sounded like he was speaking English and there were no subtitles, but I still couldn't understand what he was saying.

16 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Rudolph was the best of the night IMO. Pete was awesome.  

Pete absolutely slayed it (couldn't resist!)...but seriously, he was great in this, from the very first moment that he turned into bad Rudolph.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:06 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I actually really liked the Aqua Boogie number!  The costumes and commitment! 

Loved it!  They really did commit to it fully.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:49 AM, HaaCHOO said:

I'd heard of Momoa only recently...because of Aquaman.  I'd never seen him in anything, so I didn't think he was good and I didn't see any charisma.  I thought he worked very hard and seemed willing to do anything they asked of him, but charisma?  Nope.  

This, exactly.  I'd heard that women fall all over Momoa, but I was sooo disappointed.  Momoa just doesn't have an appealing face to me, or a winning smile, which is something his physique can't overcome.  Dwayne Johnson (swoon!!!) has more charisma in his pinkie than Momoa has in his whole body. 

On 12/9/2018 at 8:34 AM, nickp1991 said:

SNL needs to do more Them Trumps skits

Absolutely!

• Love 1
On 12/8/2018 at 11:29 PM, opus said:

I went to YouTube to check out “Aqua Boogie” (never heard of it), but it seems like it’s nine minutes long, so nah.

This was on the first vinyl album I bought, as a young teen. I also loved Flashlight, which I was thrilled to discover was shown at the end of the second Guardians of the Galaxy. I actually played tuba in a brass quartet that played Flashlight when we were in middle school. Love me some George Clinton and Pfunk!

On 12/9/2018 at 7:39 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I really appreciated how game Jason was to make fun of himself and his image.

That was definitely the strategy, to go against type. I thought JM was really into it, and he did fine with line readings.

And I'm definitely weird, as I find Gemma hot and those skits always make me laugh at some point (though this one wasn't as good as past versions).

The Rudolph skit was perfect. So glad I kept watching instead of deleting. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

This, exactly.  I'd heard that women fall all over Momoa, but I was sooo disappointed.  Momoa just doesn't have an appealing face to me, or a winning smile, which is something his physique can't overcome.  Dwayne Johnson (swoon!!!) has more charisma in his pinkie than Momoa has in his whole body. 

I like long hair, but his is (somehow) wrong.  These big hunky guys aren't my style (and weren't when I was age-appropriate).  I do enjoy John Cena and All Hemsworths.

• Love 1
On 12/8/2018 at 9:11 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Amusingly, he's also the star of this famous GIF from the tv show "The Game".

https://tenor.com/view/jason-momoa-folding-chair-like-aboss-gif-7551664

I've seen that GIF a million times and had no idea that was him! I like the shorter hair. 

23 hours ago, peeayebee said:

.I really appreciated Jason's energy, good spirit, and great acting, comedic and otherwise. The writing wasn't always the best, but he added a lot to the show.

I loved both Elf on the Shelf and Big Boy Appliances. In the first one, I cracked up every time Jason's elf said, "Can I have another kid?" His performance made the sketch work. And Big Boy Appliances was clever and funny.

Jason's Elf on the Shelf was funny, but I was really impressed by the elf costumes. They really did look like the dolls. 

I've never actually seen Game of Thrones, but it's just something I know about, even if I'm not familiar with all the details, and I really enjoyed the Ghost Dojo sketch. I think it was the sponsors like Little Beard Twisties. "Want to keep your beard neat, but still loose and crazy?" Plus, googly eyes, Talking Dojo, and Keenan always doing the best TV show host characters. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Ottis said:

And I'm definitely weird, as I find Gemma hot and those skits always make me laugh at some point (though this one wasn't as good as past versions).

I like Gemma. She reminds me of when I lived in London. I kind of like her songs too. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes, if it weren't for the horrendous environmental damage, those products would be great ideas :)  People need to make them using renewable energy

Wind-powered appliances for blowhards!

RE the googly eyes: It was funny, but there's a show on Animal Planet which was airing a promo for weeks on end recently, where a woman who does animal rescue took in a blind dog and put the same kind of googly eyes on the dog, so the effect was lost on me because I was already tired of seeing it.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:24 PM, Angeleyes said:

She said she realized just before pitching it that the song talked about not being able to swim, but thought Aquaman dancing to Aquaboogie would be awesome. 

I just now realized that connection. I had assumed it was something about his clothes and Pfunk's costumes. Do'h!

I read in the Washington Post that on the set of 'Aquaman', Amber Heard loved to read so much that she constantly had a book in her hand.  This apparently irritated Jason Momoa so much that whenever Heard put down the book to shoot her scenes, he would rip out the last few pages.  Not a good look, Jason.

• Love 1