Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Unmasked

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

FELICITY MAKES CERTAIN DECISIONS FOR HER FAMILY — Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) stands by her recent decisions regarding her family. Meanwhile, Diggle (David Ramsey) and Lyla (Audrey Marie Anderson) continue to look into the Dante painting that Curtis (Echo Kellum) found. Alexandra La Roche directed the episode written by Oscar Balderrama & Beth Schwartz (#708). Original airdate 12/3/2018.

Soooo that was awful. What exactly am I supposed to come back for, Beth? How did you make me dislike everyone on this show but Felicity and Blackstar? I'm kind of amazed how bad it was. 

I don't really have anything else to say.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 22

Loved the Olicity scenes. LOVED that Oliver remembered their anniversary (and dying a bit over him rubbing his finger over her ring). Love that they're not glossing over their issues, but I also feel like we needed more from them? Also, that last scene was heartbreaking. 

Loved seeing Oliver adjusting to life out of prison – his reaction in the shower, his reaction to the reporters/Max Fuller and Felicity answering for him, etc. Do like seeing Oliver suited up again, not sure how I feel about him working with the SCPD.  No, wait, I do. I hate it. Because it means more Dinah. Felicity belongs in Oliver's ear, not Dinah. 

Dear Arrow, please stop isolating Felicity if you're not going to actually explore everything you should that goes along with it (and I doubt you will). 

I feel like we're not going to see Oliver find out that NO ONE was there for Felicity while he was in prison. There were multiple times in this episode I wish she had said something to him about that and she didn't, so now I doubt it will happen in the future. I half-expect to see Diggle tell Oliver, "I know, man, she's doing some crazy stuff, I tried to stop her, etc. etc."

Also, WTF Diggle and Lyla. Sure, go to the man who consistently tries to kill your friends for help. I'm actually worried about what kind of deal they may (have to) make with Diaz. I have no idea where this storyline is going (mainly because I zoned out during their first scene), but you know what? Whatever Diaz does, I'm blaming Diggle for it. Because I can't believe this is Diggle. I miss liking Diggle. Also, Diggle, you can NEVER say anything about Felicity working with Laurel again. EVER. 

So Blackstar's reaction to hearing Felicity's "dead" was particularly interesting. Definitely more to her story. I wish Dinah, Zoe and now William would stop talking like Felicity being "evil" is so absolute, even if they're thinking she changed her mind. Definitely thinking Felicity, Blackstar, maybe even Rene (ugh) and whoever else is in the Glades are up to something not evil but kept it from the vigilante resistance for a reason. Just give me more Blackstar ASAP please. 

Too much Dinah. We're now 8 episodes in and I could do with a few Dinah-free episodes. (707 doesn't count) Sadly, I don't think we're going to get any. 

Oh, and hello, Oliver's half-sister. You haven't interacted with anyone without a mask yet, but you know what? I bet I'm going to like you more than Dinah when you do. 

Edited by insomniadreams88
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I shouldn't be, but I'm amazed that the writers thought "Oliver's finally out of prison. So let's shove Dinah down everyone's throats." God almighty.

Words can't express how disappointed I am that he's just gonna be a cop. I'm not sure what exactly I expected, but it wasn't that.

• Love 13

"Well, we finally have Oliver out of prison, writers room! Should we have them reconnecting? Have Oliver adjusting to life outside of prison? Or, and heres my favorite idea, have Olicity fighting, and give Dinah a bunch of scenes being smug as shit, both in the present, and the future!" 

"Brilliant! Maybe if we add NTA to the past AND present timelines, people will see them as the true stars of Arrow that they are!"

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

Well, that sucked. Reminder to self: when the critics wax poetic: be very afraid, suckitude is coming. 

I'm legitimately confused why they loved it so much. Last week, sure, I got that action would entertain critics. But this? I'm so confused. Are they all huge Dinah and her creepy acting fans? 

• Love 16

It's something that the writers can manage to make me enjoy someone I do not like - Black Siren - by writing a good team up with Felicity, and make me bored to tears with someone I love to pieces (even when he's being very dumb!) - Oliver - by putting him together with Dinah and Rene.

• Love 13

I just don't get the Dinah thing. Like I know she's BC and JH  openly kisses ass every single chance she gets but even so she's not a good  actress and can't play nuances and never had any kind of real rapport with Oliver.

And the same writers room all know Felicity was abandoned by everyone right? But oh no because plot and now FFS we have to do double the forgetting and handwaving about not even half a season. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Oh, I just thought of something - DR said KC had a good episode, right? Uh, where? No, really, she had what, three lines? 

That was a misquote.  He was talking about the episode he directed. 7x12

Edited by BkWurm1
Just now, BkWurm1 said:

That was a missquote.  He was talking about the episode he directed. 7x12

Just now, apinknightmare said:

He was talking about the episode he directed, not this one.

Oh, thanks. 

(Though I would've preferred one more Laurel scene in place of three or four of the Dinah ones.) 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I mean, how is it that Felicity being willing to defend herself makes her evil now?  That's the implication.  And not just evil, but no longer the woman Oliver fell in love with.  It's such bullcrap.  

I'm upgrading my spoiler post about the writing being kinda sexist towards Felicity to absolutely sexist. 

• Love 10

Glutton for punishment or something, I am rewatching the Olicity scenes.  I take some comfort that despite how much I dislike Oliver now working for Dinah, the idea of him going out and being a hero without the mask is firmly planted by Felicity in their very first scene.  So he's still listening to her at least.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Words can't express how disappointed I am that he's just gonna be a cop. I'm not sure what exactly I expected, but it wasn't that.

I blame myself for putting it out there in the spoiler thread. Did I not say it was the overabundance of Dinah in the promo that made me suspect it? Ugh. I hate being right about that.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mary0360 said:

I'm upgrading my spoiler post about the writing being kinda sexist towards Felicity to absolutely sexist. 

It is amazing that it seems to have gotten worse with MG gone.  Who would have thought it?  I swear if there is not a Felicity-tells-them-all-the-hell-off-for-being-such-massive-hypocrites-and-failing-her-completely scene coming I may truly be done with this crap.  

• Love 9

The FUCK??!!!🤯🤯🤯 What the FUCK was THAT??!!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I am SO PISSED NOW that I can’t type. I have only said these words to the FAKAKTA show runners and hacks of that FAKAKTA General Hospital-But...FUCK YOU, Schwarz. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

And Fuck You, future William, you whiny, ungrateful little SNOT.

Bad enough that Diggle’s been a shitty friend to Felicity, but now both he and Lyla approach that Marblemushmouth, who has TERRORIZED Felicity, for help??!!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, Mrs. de Winter said:

PS - Dear Felicity - burn the world down. None of these people deserve you. Light them on fire and then get on with building your new company.  And when they come to you for help?  Laugh.  And go back to being your fabulous, strong self.  

What Felicity should say to all the other characters when they ask her for help.

giphy.gif

• Love 10

The more I'm thinking about it, the more mad I'm getting. Does Oliver not get how close Diaz was to killing Felicity and William? As in dead dead. Like I'm so irritated I want to buy a ticket to the next con, stand up, and ask SA What the Fuck Dude???

• Love 24

Serves me right for watching a full episode. So. Much. Dinah. And somehow she never manages to have more than one expression, including in the future. Even BS can emote more than that. Is this a preview of what the show's going to be like when it comes back from hiatus, Dinah/Oliver + Rene working on cases at the SCPD? The driest trio ever, imo. 

And Felicity's "no longer the woman Oliver fell in love with" because she defended herself and him? Since she was doing whatever it took to get Oliver out of prison and no one bothered to help her (which we know the show's never going to address or admit to)? WTF?

If they were going to have Olicity go into the hiatus "on a break" they could have at least given us a better sex scene, that one was lame after how long they were separated/are going to be separated.  

Spoiler

Or at least give us the Blackstar/Maya is Olicity's daughter reveal to balance it out. 

Anyway, back to not watching. At least until spoiler happens. 

Edited by DrSpaceman10
  • Love 4
Just now, calliope1975 said:

The more I'm thinking about it, the more mad I'm getting. Does Oliver not get how close Diaz was to killing Felicity and William? As in dead dead. Like I'm so irritated I want to buy a ticket to the next con, stand up, and ask SA What the Fuck Dude???

He should do considering he was bracing himself for news of her death in ep 1 and she was beaten up. This is all in service of the crappie FFS where we're supposed to believe she's "evil" . They're 10 times worse than the flashbacks because it will continue to be vague the rest of the season. With lots of Dinah. 

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

He must have, because he thought she was dead, and he saw her after!

• Love 3

I am just so disappointed that, after all this, we get Olicity drama so quickly into the reunion. I can get them dealing with some stuff, and Oliver being a bit freaked out by Felicity being darker, as its not what he is used to, but his "oh my God, you cant shoot a guy trying to kill us!" freak out was just ridiculousness, patronizing, and rather out of character for Oliver. Yeah, Oliver does tend to want to protect her, and keep her in her happy Overwatch chair, but he has always respected her as his partner and teammate. Its like he joined Diggle and wants to keep her in their little adorable box, and when she dares try to leave it, usually out of survival, they freak out about her doing stuff that they do every day! What, are they afraid she might break a nail? It comes across as shockingly sexist and patronizing to a woman who has basically been running the show all on her own this whole season. I mean, what was she supposed to do? Just stand there, and wait to die? 

I cant believe that we waited all this time for this. Instant angst for my favorite couple, and minimal time to enjoy their reunion, and WAY too much time with NTA, especially Dinah and her one smug facial expression. Oh, and we get another female authority figure to have a weird hate on for Oliver. 

Actually, maybe the mayor is one of Roberts kids, or former mistresses, and wants to screw with Oliver out of misplaces revenge? He seems to have left those all over the freaking place!

• Love 20

This was their glorified mid season finale...I want to be set up for excitement when the show goes away, not be annoyed because they failed to set up anything interesting outside of Oliver being a glorified cop and Emiko being another half sibling out for justice. This is the time to set up all of your main characters for something exciting. Giving 90% of the screentime to Oliver/Dinah/Rene was not the way to go, especially when they could've used multiple characters throughout all of these scenes to break it up more evenly. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And how lame to use the same fucking teaser for next week that Supergirl used. Too cheap? Betcha we’ll see the same 1:50 minutes after Flash tomorrow and LoT tonight.😒😒😒😒

You will. I read something that said they were putting it after every show because not everyone watches all of them.

Right now, I'm not even sure I want Olicity to work it out. Part of me wants Felicity to be like "Fuck all these judgmental assholes!" and just leave town (but only if we follow her, I can't take any more of the Dinah Drake Hour.) She shot someone who was trying to kill her husband and almost killed someone who'd been actively trying to murder her, her husband and their child for months, this "Oh, my God! The horror!" reaction is infuriating. They're pushing so hard on Evil!Felicity to try and make the flashforward seem plausible but she's only doing what every other character has done a 1000 times for often fewer reasons so I'm over here going " Yeah, still don't believe this but if Felicity wants to blow up Judgmental Asshat City, I'm on her side!"

Edited by JamieLynn832002
judgmental always looks wrong to me but it's not
  • Love 21
Just now, calliope1975 said:

You will. I read something that said they were putting it after every show because not everyone watches all of them.

Which doesnt make much sense since they themselves expect us to watch all the shows. At least show differnet tidbits of the same scene. Different shots, do somethin.

1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Does Oliver even love Felicity anymore? Cuz I'm reading all your posts and it's freaking me out. 

He does and I am 1000% certain this is all for lame plotty purposes and not character driven, but it was infuriating (see? I keep getting progressively madder) how it  played out. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

Can't even get a fun Laurel/Max scene. Him talking to her, her not knowing him or breaking his arm...such a failure.

I know - that was a missed opportunity, and like we talked about before definitely one of the missing pieces to her whole arc of masquerading so far.

• Love 4

I'm especially annoyed by this whole "Felicity is so dark and evil and ruthless and how dare she do what she's doing in the present and she's totally evil and planning to destroy the city in the future" when DIGGLE WENT TO DIAZ FOR HELP AND IS KEEPING IT FROM OLIVER AND FELICITY.

And since I don't know who this Diggle is anymore, I'm really worried about where they're going with this. 

• Love 12