Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Ride Along

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Sergeant Grey informs Officer Nolan and Officer Bishop that they are going to have a movie director as a ride-along during their patrol after a fun afternoon granting the wish of a Make-A-Wish kid as honorary police officer Kaydence Patton. Meanwhile, Officer Bradford is tested once again after he learns that his wife, Isabel, has been arrested for drug possession.

For the record, there is one more episode listed after this one on the 11th, then it is off for the next three weeks until January 8th.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:44 PM, WendyCR72 said:

For the record, there is one more episode listed after this one on the 11th, then it is off for the next three weeks until January 8th.

3 hours ago, TWP said:

Regarding the January 8 return, I didn't think ABC had formally announced their winter schedule.  Does PreviouslyTV have access to uber-secret information?

IMDB and thetvdb.com (the site of choice for PTV info) both show what @WendyCR72 posted, but it is odd that ABC.com doesn't have it (that I can find).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

IMDB and thetvdb.com (the site of choice for PTV info) both show what @WendyCR72 posted, but it is odd that ABC.com doesn't have it (that I can find).

I saw the Jan 8 date on Futon Critic as well, with no episode name asociated. I assumed those all were just estimates for now.  ABC has not yet formally announced their winter schedule.

I hold out hope that TR will get a better lead-in or an earlier time.

Edited by TWP
9 hours ago, TWP said:

Regarding the January 8 return, I didn't think ABC had formally announced their winter schedule.  Does PreviouslyTV have access to uber-secret information?

Oh, if only. Then I could don some shades and a funky trench coat! But no.  😢

• Love 6
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Funky shades!  That's my job! (see my avatar).

As I understand it, Kaydence is actually a real life MakeAWish child whose wish is to be an actress. And of course, she's playing a MakeAWish kid whose wish is to be a cop.   Pretty cool.

Here's an article about Kaydence:  https://www.wtok.com/content/news/Meridian-girl-gets-Make-A-Wish-come-true-501801621.html

Edited by TWP
  • Love 17

Sick to death of this cop and his druggie wife. Put her in prison or do the sad OD ending and move on, show. Nathan does still play "Dad" well.

As for the preview of the fall finale? I hate when any show does this: Main character does something questionable/gets in trouble and career is threatened.

The stars and their characters will never really lose their jobs/lives/whatever (unless THEY choose to leave or the show gets the axe!), so the suspense is sucked out before it even begins.

• Love 6

Was Tyson going to flip the pancakes with a knife or spatula!? No wonder he was upset and confused! 

That poor woman, one day her son gets put in the crazy home and the next day her other son/friends are arrested for robbery.

It's about time Lopez got scolded for something.

The apartment where West/Lopez went to was the same Bishop/Nolan went to with the guy and two prostitutes a few episodes back. This show is cheap on making new sets.

Payne is really stupid to think his money was going to make them happy.

Chen must have super hearing or her lip reading skill is phenomenal to know Bradford was going to move drugs that night or she's stalking him.

Nice for the other TOs to comfort Bradford but they must be tired of his wife by now.

I always get confused which Ashmore brother I'm seeing.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 4

Just when I was thinking this was a well done episode, they have the brothers turn down an offer from a rich guy to fund care for their brother and instead try to rob him at gunpoint. Arrogant writers.

At least NF's character is consistently a good guy. I wonder if he has to tell them things like: No, it would not be funny if Nolan snorted coke.

• Love 4

Best ep so far!!  Maybe they've found their groove.  Not all the twists were expected (Tyson's brother, the director getting shot), which was nice.

I really liked how the three training officers support each other.  Next to Nathan, *that trio's chem is my favorite part of the show.

7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh come on.  Wear the outfit: the intrigue will find you.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Sick to death of this cop and his druggie wife. Put her in prison or do the sad OD ending and move on, show. Nathan does still play "Dad" well.

As for the preview of the fall finale? I hate when any show does this: Main character does something questionable/gets in trouble and career is threatened.

The stars and their characters will never really lose their jobs/lives/whatever (unless THEY choose to leave or the show gets the axe!), so the suspense is sucked out before it even begins.

Nah, I think they're writing Nolan off.  Sorry Nathan, the ratings weren't good enough.  They  had to cut back ;-). (Just kidding. It's a silly story line for certain.  Utter lack of creativity.)  I know!  The arrest will lead to jail time and a prison trope where Nolan and Bradford's wife will become a thing.  

I was thrilled with Bradford for avoiding being stupid.  From all the "Bradford is stupid" posts elsewhere, I was expecting FBI surveillance to catch him leaving the scene and they'd arrest him.  Maybe if they had, it would set him straight.  Hopefully wife will go to jail and be out of the picture for awhile.

The son was adorable.  I'm glad Nolan had a good story to tell him, while secretly realizing that the director-guy shouldn't be idolized at all.  In reality, Henry should be lamenting losing his room-mate because schools don't let you have that second half of the room for free!

This was an entertaining episode of the dessert after dinner feel that I really enjoy.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 2

, they have the brothers turn down an offer from a rich guy to fund care for their brother and instead try to rob him at gunpoint.

The brothers were the kid with the curls on top (Tyson?) and the developmentally delayed guy. The other two were friends. Tyson(?) was trying to dissuade them and I hope the oblivious director says so in court.

IMdB confirms Tyson (Catfish Jean, apparently. Memorable name.)  but doesn't seem to have his brother's name (or actor).

Edited by femmefan1946
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TWP said:

ln reality, Henry should be lamenting losing his room-mate because schools don't let you have that second half of the room for free

I assumed the roommate's parents are still paying for the room with Nolan's kid, while the girlfriend's roommate may be having to share space with her roommate's boyfriend. That's how those things usually go, at least during the semester in which they begin.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I assumed the roommate's parents are still paying for the room with Nolan's kid, while the girlfriend's roommate may be having to share space with her roommate's boyfriend. That's how those things usually go, at least during the semester in which they begin.

Yeah they don't usually write home about moving in with the girlfriend, so the dorm payments continue.

Great scene at the end with his son. They made you think he had a woman coming over:

Ben: "I don't want you to be alone" (or something like that)

Nolan: "I won't be"

and it was his son to keep him company. Cute kid! 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

Great scene at the end with his son. They made you think he had a woman coming over:

I knew it would be the son, but I wasn't sure if we were supposed to know, so I felt satisfied with myself for having guessed it, and, regardless, yes, the kid and their interaction was "totally adorbs," so I waved aside my objections to the way the whole ride along plot went and the way Nolan was apparently telling it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sorry, I forgot that in some people's worlds, parents pay for college. ;-).

• Love 1

Probably my favourite episode to date.  There was more emotional heft to all of the stories and they all gelled together as well.  Slowly but surely all partners are building trust and rapport. 

I liked that they showed the sharp disparity between the Hollywood bubble and the harsh life outside that, because LA isn't all glam and glitter that's for sure, and yes, until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes...  People whose first reaction is to start recording whatever nowadays need to think first with their head not their phone.  I thought they were going to go for the feel good ending of the director helping out, so I didn't see that twist coming.  Hopefully all parties involved learned some hard lessons. ;)  What cops do definitely matter but I liked that they showed that films can matter too, in a different way.

Glad Bradford didn't do something he would regret. I hope they don't drag out the junkie wife storyline forever though because unless there's additional context, the situation is not going to change.

Lopez making misstep was the most interesting this character has been to me.   So is West's gun problem solved already? That would be a bit too easy to me.

Now that Lopez is out of the running for Detective for now, let's see if Bishop is going to do something wrong as well to keep her on patrol for a while longer (maybe by doing right by Nolan, she loses her chance).

The son seems well cast, and father and son had good rapport.  Look forward to seeing more of that in the future.  Nice to see the son seems supportive of Dad making such a massive life change. 

• Love 3

I didn't think Chen was a moron, but apparently she is. That whole "Let me just stalk my T.O. to his estranged wife's house" thing was contrived and didn't play well. Just stupid and I hope there aren't more soap opera-ish instances like this.  I hope someone finds out that she knew he took evidence from the apartment and she didn't say anything. And Bradford isn't too clever either. That big of an unguarded heroin stash in his wife's apartment, his wife's in custody and it doesn't cross his mind that her boyfriend might send some armed thug to her place to retrieve it? And he goes in there twice?

I liked the Make A Wish segment in the beginning, it was sweet and it is something cops actually do from time to time (I remember the kid who was Batman for a day) and the way Bishop talked down the emotionally disturbed man. 

I'm glad Bishop and Nolan got the thugs who assaulted and tried to rob Rupert, but it got melodramatic and cliche-ish.  

Bishop is my favorite character on this show. 

14 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Nice for the other TOs to comfort Bishop but they must be tired of his wife by now.

Bradford was who they were comforting. Bishop is Nolan's T.O.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

. Tyson(?) was trying to dissuade them and I hope the oblivious director says so in court.

He was at first and then he turned a gun on Rupert too. So he was part of it. 

• Love 2

I like the friendship between Bishop, Lopez, and Bradford. But mostly we've seen Bishop and Lopez looking out for Bradford -- picking him up at the hospital, playing along with the round-up contest, comforting him at the end of this episode. That's sweet, but I hope we see him reciprocate a bit more. Given his personality, it makes sense that a lot of his support for them would not necessarily be out in the open, and it might consist in not doing things as much as doing things (e.g., not ratting Lopez out for covering up West's gunfire issues). So it is fine if it is not quite equal. I just don't want their relationship to be all about the women helping him deal with man-pain.

8 minutes ago, newyawk said:

I didn't think Chen was a moron, but apparently she is. That whole "Let me just stalk my T.O. to his estranged wife's house" thing was contrived and didn't play well. Just stupid and I hope there aren't more soap opera-ish instances like this.  I hope someone finds out that she knew he took evidence from the apartment and she didn't say anything. And Bradford isn't too clever either. That big of an unguarded heroin stash in his wife's apartment, his wife's in custody and it doesn't cross his mind that her boyfriend might send some armed thug to her place to retrieve it? And he goes in there twice?

Yeah, her just showing up was kind of weird. But, though at first we were meant to think Bradford took the heroin, apparently he did not. That is, I don't think he removed it from the apartment, left, and then brought it back. Rather, he took it out of its hiding place, but then changed his mind and put it back, before leaving the apartment.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, TWP said:
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sorry, I forgot that in some people's worlds, parents pay for college. ;-).

Regardless of who is paying for the dorm, if it's a campus dorm (not an apartment or something you find on your own) I don't think many (if any) colleges would A) let you say mid-semester that you no longer need the room (i.e. the son's roommate couldn't get any kind of refund, so why even say anything to the school? It would technically still be "his," and I would imagine he still keeps some stuff there, makes occasional appearances), or B) let you "move in" (officially) to a room with a member of the opposite sex. So either way you're paying for a room, even if you're not sleeping there. Now, next semester he could say he's found off-campus housing or something while he's secretly living with the girlfriend, but if she's in a campus dorm, you'd think someone would notice/ say something eventually about him freeloading.

My sophomore year roommate had a boyfriend who was an RA (with a private room), so I didn't see her most nights, but it was still half her room, and she would crash there occasionally.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Now that Lopez is out of the running for Detective

It seemed like Lopez was doing the bargaining with the little fish for the bigger fish in hopes of getting detective after hearing West's insider gossip about her being up for detective. I was expecting her to be mad at him on some level, or maybe for him to apologize for (inadvertently) goading her into it.

• Love 1
On 12/4/2018 at 7:16 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I have the other problem with it. The very special episode , the hero killed a man.  Only this comes after he shot a man a week in every previous episode but in those cases Internal Affairs did not come around to investigate.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Raja said:

I have the other problem with it. The very special episode , the hero killed a man.  Only this comes after he shot a man a week in every previous episode but in those cases Internal Affairs did not come around to investigate.

I suspect there's a difference when they end up dead.  And from the preview it looked to be only Nolan and the guy he shoots, whereas the others we've seen have had plenty of other cops/people around as witnesses. Hard to know until we see the episode.

2 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

I suspect there's a difference when they end up dead.  And from the preview it looked to be only Nolan and the guy he shoots, whereas the others we've seen have had plenty of other cops/people around as witnesses. Hard to know until we see the episode.

I suspect that the main difference is the TV news coverage. The use of force investigation going over every action would still take place even if people where merely hospitalized due to police firing at them. It is why I call BS on the cover up of the legacy officer being unable to act and  support his squad during previous shootings 

18 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Regardless of who is paying for the dorm, if it's a campus dorm (not an apartment or something you find on your own) I don't think many (if any) colleges would A) let you say mid-semester that you no longer need the room (i.e. the son's roommate couldn't get any kind of refund, so why even say anything to the school? It would technically still be "his," and I would imagine he still keeps some stuff there, makes occasional appearances), or B) let you "move in" (officially) to a room with a member of the opposite sex. So either way you're paying for a room, even if you're not sleeping there. Now, next semester he could say he's found off-campus housing or something while he's secretly living with the girlfriend, but if she's in a campus dorm, you'd think someone would notice/ say something eventually about him freeloading.

My sophomore year roommate had a boyfriend who was an RA (with a private room), so I didn't see her most nights, but it was still half her room, and she would crash there occasionally.

That was true at my school umpteen years ago. But, it's possible that the girlfriend is older and already lived off campus. Still, if he informed the school and it was early enough in the semester, and the school had some freshmen tripled up, then one of them could have moved into son's room.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It seemed like Lopez was doing the bargaining with the little fish for the bigger fish in hopes of getting detective after hearing West's insider gossip about her being up for detective. I was expecting her to be mad at him on some level, or maybe for him to apologize for (inadvertently) goading her into it.

That would have been highly unfair of her. West didn't goad her into anything, he just relayed the gossip. He didn't suggest trading up either criminal and was shocked when Lope took that step each time.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:19 PM, mxc90 said:

I always get confused which Ashmore brother I'm seeing.

Granted, I was multi-tasking, but I am pretty sure neither of the Ashmore's were in this.  I checked IMDB and neither were listed for this episode. 

On 12/5/2018 at 9:29 AM, BlakesMomma said:

Yeah they don't usually write home about moving in with the girlfriend, so the dorm payments continue.

I knew it wasn't going to be a girl, but I just figured he'd pick up a book.  

Did Henry say his roommate moved into his girlfriend's dorm?  I, for some reason, just automatically assumed she lived off-campus.  But, again, multi-tasking. 

so hollywood..winter finale with a cliff hanger ..will nolan be fired from the police force. like yea they have the guts to fire the lead of the show. atleast make it on some other rookie and maybe there is a chance it could happen. such children like writing. no wonder netlfix and amazon numbers show a middle finger to prime time channels now ..writers can never thing outside the box. Too PC...too Stupid.

Also, over/under Lucy bangs her TO in next 5 episodes..i say Under

52 minutes ago, sr49ers2018 said:

so hollywood..winter finale with a cliff hanger ..will nolan be fired from the police force. like yea they have the guts to fire the lead of the show. atleast make it on some other rookie and maybe there is a chance it could happen. such children like writing. no wonder netlfix and amazon numbers show a middle finger to prime time channels now ..writers can never thing outside the box. Too PC...too Stupid.

Also, over/under Lucy bangs her TO in next 5 episodes..i say Under

I don’t know, maybe wait and see the episode before deciding what’s going to happen and if it’s stupid?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Granted, I was multi-tasking, but I am pretty sure neither of the Ashmores were in this.  I checked IMDB and neither were listed for this episode. 

Shawn Ashmore (I think? Now I'm second guessing myself; it might've been Aaron...) was listed in the opening credits. He played Bradford's wife's lawyer. IMBD can be notoriously slow to update.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Shawn Ashmore (I think? Now I'm second guessing myself; it might've been Aaron...) was listed in the opening credits. He played Bradford's wife's lawyer. IMBD can be notoriously slow to update.

I gave up long ago and consider them one person now. I don't know which one is/was in Killjoys or X-Men or the Following or Smallville, etc.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I a, the least interested in that storyline, so yeah I wasn’t looking. Thanks for correcting me!  I like the Ashmore’s, so I guess I’ll pay attention now 

I confess, the Nolan/Talia part, I fast forward through it even the end part. 

I hope the thing with Bradford's wife is over but I admit, I can see her lawyer suggesting the evidence was planted by her husband. I liked the ending part though with Bradford and the two women. 

I think West will still get scared of gunshots cause they haven't had a shooting with him in it since he was with Bradford. 

EDIT: I did not like Grey's office. Its right next to a garage? Really? 

Edited by Waterston Fan

I really liked this episode - I've liked the past 3.  It seems like they have all hit their stride.  The director of this episode did a great job.  The opening was something else.  And the last shot of the opening, when Nolan tried to get in on the photo and the Make-A-Wish kid gave him the side-eye.  That was funny and probably took a lot of takes for the timing to work.

Hated the promo for the next episode.   If they wanted to put anyone's job in jeopardy, I would have put Bradford.   If he got fired, he could still stay in the story and expand it a little with the trial and his ex.   

Nathan's not going anywhere so the entire thing seems really 80's. Even it turns out completely different from the promo, it was a bad promo to run.

• Love 4

So either way you're paying for a room, even if you're not sleeping there.

Do university residence rooms come with a meal plan? They did when DH was in Residence 50 years ago and DD was 20 years ago.

If they do, keeping the room would be sensible, never mind the occasional need for a retreat.

Although DH had a cafeteria in the residence and there was a kitchen on his floor, and DD had access to all sorts of cafeterias and fat food joints spread around campus. She ate at Subway a lot and some vegetarian chain. Because York University has a high proportion of foreign students there were Indian and Chinese restaurants available too.

3 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

So either way you're paying for a room, even if you're not sleeping there.

Do university residence rooms come with a meal plan? They did when DH was in Residence 50 years ago and DD was 20 years ago.

If they do, keeping the room would be sensible, never mind the occasional need for a retreat.

Although DH had a cafeteria in the residence and there was a kitchen on his floor, and DD had access to all sorts of cafeterias and fat food joints spread around campus. She ate at Subway a lot and some vegetarian chain. Because York University has a high proportion of foreign students there were Indian and Chinese restaurants available too.

When I was in college in the 90s, I did have a meal plan along with living in the residence hall. I think most colleges, be they public or private (which I attended), had that. (Even if the food sucked and me and my friends tried to avoid eating it as much as we could. LOL!) So, yeah, I'd think Nolan's kid would have the same thing.

• Love 1
On 12/5/2018 at 12:35 AM, TWP said:

In reality, Henry should be lamenting losing his room-mate because schools don't let you have that second half of the room for free!

My kid's sure didn't.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:03 AM, shapeshifter said:

Speaking as a parent who had to deal with this recently (and I assume each school does it differently), my kid's roommate moved to another dorm room to be with a friend, and used a formal request, which my kid signed without knowing what the consequences where. It left us holding the bag, as it were. It was in the middle of the semester, and my kid couldn't find anyone to share the room. So we had to pay for it. It was not a pleasant surprise. The fees and tuition were already making things very tight.

• Love 2
On 12/5/2018 at 1:55 PM, newyawk said:

He took the bag out of the apartment and was walking to the car with it. I just watched the episode. so he had to go back inside to replace it. 

I just watched the scene again, rewound a couple of times, and when he leaves the apartment, it doesn't look like he is holding anything. We see him kneeling in front of the heating vent holding the brick (with gloves on), then the next scene he is walking towards his car with no gloves on and it looks like he may be tucking something in his pocket, which I presume are his gloves, because I don't think that brick would fit in a hoodie pocket without a noticeable bulge. Based on how the entire scene plays out, I land on the side that he did not take the drugs out of the apartment. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I just watched the scene again, rewound a couple of times, and when he leaves the apartment, it doesn't look like he is holding anything. We see him kneeling in front of the heating vent holding the brick (with gloves on), then the next scene he is walking towards his car with no gloves on and it looks like he may be tucking something in his pocket, which I presume are his gloves, because I don't think that brick would fit in a hoodie pocket without a noticeable bulge. Based on how the entire scene plays out, I land on the side that he did not take the drugs out of the apartment. 

I didn't even know there was a question of him taking the drugs. Because the wife snarled at the end how he wasn't there for her when she needed him. And the cops found the drugs exactly where she had told her hubby they were.

So I think he was going to take the drugs (hence going over there) but then didn't.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I didn't even know there was a question of him taking the drugs. Because the wife snarled at the end how he wasn't there for her when she needed him. And the cops found the drugs exactly where she had told her hubby they were.

So I think he was going to take the drugs (hence going over there) but then didn't.

Some thought that he took the drugs and put them back after Chen confronted him, but on a close rewatch of the scene he does not have them when he goes to his car.

Edited by Gothish520
11 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

It is dark, and he is wearing a black sweatsuit, so you wouldn't see a pocket bulge. You see a silhouette of him as he is walking towards the camera and then he opens the car door and there is a moment where he looks like he might have quickly tossed something into the car. It is not shown that he drives off before Chen does, so it is just a very ambiguous scene. There is no way to tell for sure he had it with him or not, only that he was a moron for having gone there, and by himself, no less, to begin with. 

• Love 1