Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 12/3/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I feel like Sunny was the only one who got the Jesus in a cage message. Yes, the Catholic church has done some messed up stuff and are still doing some messed up stuff, but like Sunny said sometimes people need to see something shocking in order to understand the horrors that is in your backyard. There is a separation of Church in State, but a lot of the people who made the crisis happen follow this faith. If they feel bad about seeing baby Jesus in a cage, then they should feel equally as bad for putting kids in them as well. Meghan kept harping that there should be a separation of Church and State, but she'd be the first one who gets angry over people not saying Merry Christmas.

I did find it funny that Meghan mentioned Joy Reid as a gotcha moment, but it seemed like Sunny and Abby knew more about the person and didn't need to look at their cue cards to continue that conversation.

The Mia Love segment was meh. I do agree with Abby that Republicans shouldn't have to always get asked questions about Trump and minorities shouldn't have to always talk about them just because they're Republican. There is a difference between a Trumper and Republican, even though sometimes we don't really see that. However, Mia is only on the show because Trump mentioned her specifically, so it's to be expected that she'll be asked about him. And if you're a politician who stays silent when your president is attacking your race and people, then you'll be asked about that. That's just common sense. Ana and Tara are both visible minorities who view themselves as Republican, but they also call a spade a spade which is what we need to see. Not just from Republicans but from everyone as well.

I've seen comments mention that Abby looks mixed or has some black in her, but it turns out she's super white. I still don't trust those DNA kits, nor would I ever provide my saliva to them, but I thought this was funny. Meghan asking about the American part only...For someone who is only a couple of years older than me, she sure is a sheltered one, right? Joy said her family fought in both wars as well, so she's just as American. Abby's migration showed more Americaness than Meghan, so I don't even get what she was doing there.

38 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

Please let it be this one:

9418E217-FB2A-4A2D-8A86-0D4D1C2636FC.thumb.png.042a6bbc7ab11a3fa34ea31b4a01c023.png

That's a bit creepy. Am I wrong in thinking that this is creepy? I find the veneration of past presidents to such a degree that you have a necklace like this to be odd. I wouldn't do it, but if it's done in religious reasons, then it makes sense since this person (Jesus for Christians) is a symbol of your salvation, but even then putting someone's face on a necklace like this..... I don't get it. Get a locket and place a picture inside, so you're the only one who has to see that face staring back at you.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 12

I think it would have been more interesting to see Sunny's or Ana's  DNA results and migration.   Plus I agree - MM rude, "Let's get to the American part."  For the record I'm more American than she is because my ancestors came from central Mexico (which is part of America just not the United States).  And as someone stated that "Americans" comes from somewhere else unless you have indigenous people in your ancestry.  

As for the church that showed the Nativity scene with current tones, the Catholic Church (in my opinion) sees these things as human issues NOT political ones.  The Church has worked with rights for migrant workers in the past, supporting them and even marching with them.  The Church has supported working with and helping the homeless, giving food to the poor, etc.  Are these considered political?  As people of faith (not Catholic or Evangelical or any other label, but of faith and belief) we are called to help and take a stand for people/persons who cannot, we are called to protect the weak.  Sometimes that means showing up, speaking out, and even making a display.  

Sorry for the rant and hope it's not off-topic, but it really bothered me.

• Love 23

There's no doubt in my mind that they're not talking politics to keep things relatively calm . It's amazing the hold MM has over this show . If she didn't luv Mia Love , Mia probably would have been shown no love and  been bumped from the show .

After all , who wants to hear about the hundreds of things that happened in politics over the last few days when we can hear  the fascinating details of Meghan's bra problems ?

• Love 21

I got permission to post this.   I don't know if y'all* have noticed this NOTE on the top of the page:  The Great PTV Forum Re-organization Info & Timetables.   I clicked on it and read some interesting new info.  Try it!     

*I never say "y'all," but it seemed fun in this case. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Clay Aiken looks odd.

3 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Yeah, Clay Aiken's hair is very distracting.

Maybe we can get used to it--he has absolutely no coloring.  I was bothered every time he was on TV post-American Idol.  He was obviously going gray and trying to stay "red," as in every possible shade thereof: rust, RED!, pinkish, auburn.  Those red tints are difficult to get right...and to keep (they begin fading immediately)  His eyebrows were a distraction at the time too...we never knew what shade he'd show up with.   Apparently Meghan didn't realize she was wearing a microphone when she was GUSHING about her best friend.  She was screeching again...but this time with glee.  

Edited by HaaCHOO
I think I'm losing my typing skills...
  • Love 12

I always thought Clay got robbed when he lost to Ruben on AI.  Hearing them both sing today let me realize Ruben IS the better singer (I truly hadn't paid attention to either one all these years).   Clay looked in pain when reach-reach-reaching for that high note.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 18
17 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Hilarious that MM is so English....maybe she  shouldn’t  be so dismissive or anything Royal anymore. 

Let's just hope the Royals don't hear about it; they will be inconsolable.

• Love 15

Maybe they all decided that it would not be appropriate to discuss 41s funeral services, Trump, Bush's legacy, his family etc. out of respect. At least I'd like to think so. There'll be time to discuss all that later, plus we've been saturated with all things Bush the past few days. I appreciated the break.

• Love 9

Meghan and, on occasion, Sunny seem very sheltered and unaware of logic.  I can see why the two kind of get along and hang out because both of them are easily triggered, we sheltered by their families, and rely too much on emotion instead of logic/common sense.  The key difference is that Sunny has a lot of fun points and can relax/have fun.. while Meghan... just can't.. no matter how hard she tries.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Sunny didn't seem to like what Mia Love was saying and I have to say I didn't either. 

What I found interesting about Mia Love was that she would not answer the question posed by Sunny, if Trump was a racist or not. 

I also smiled at the irony of her not labeling herself a Black Republican, but, said that she was targeted by the Democrats because of her race.  According to her, they only like minorities who think like them.  She is right that her seat was targeted by the Dems, but, not because of her race. 

I thought her concession speech was very heartfelt and genuine.  I felt bad for her when she was mocked by the President. 

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

And decorating her home with flags and the Constitution. 

Who were the 3 portraits that were shown in her place this week? It took me 10 minutes to get my eyes rolled back so I could see again.  She really makes Hasselback look like a light weight with her puny placemats and having her kids singing the anthem or reciting the Bill of Rights and star gluten free cookies.  

• Love 9
5 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Hilarious that MM is so English....maybe she  shouldn’t  be so dismissive or anything Royal anymore. 

I have ancestors in England who were in the military(one was an admiral) and I had older relatives to say boot instead of trunk. Come on, Meggie. Embrace your British heritage. You won't be deported.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, pinguina said:

I think it would have been more interesting to see Sunny's or Ana's  DNA results and migration.   Plus I agree - MM rude, "Let's get to the American part."  For the record I'm more American than she is because my ancestors came from central Mexico (which is part of America just not the United States).  And as someone stated that "Americans" comes from somewhere else unless you have indigenous people in your ancestry.  

They actually did do Sunny's DNA a couple of years ago.  That's why I was surprised to see this segment today, because they already did it a couple of years ago.  They did Sunny, Sarah and whoever else was on that day (Whoopi, maybe?)  I think it was a different company that time but I'm not sure.  If you search for it on youtube you can find it.  

• Love 7
On 12/7/2018 at 11:44 AM, Alexis2291 said:

Meghan's obsession with being "all American," and bringing up all the people in her family who served in the military during the ancestry segment, was weird. Whoever told her it was weird is correct. She's so strangely obsessed with her American heritage...

Agreed. The obsession with being all “American” echoed the rhetoric of white nationalists, to be honest. 🤔

• Love 21
On 12/6/2018 at 5:57 PM, RHJunkie said:

all me crazy but I understood from Natalie's original statement that she was referring not to Jessica hyper-sexualizing herself, but how the media hyper-sexualized her while concurrently pulling the virgin angle. The same way a recent publication got backlash for putting Bobbi Millie Brown on one of those Top 20/50/100 Sexiest celebrities list when she was only 12 years old. Natalie only tried to convey that she grew up feeling confused because of the media's use of their platform to project what is beautiful, sexy and virginal. She's not saying that it was Jessica Simpson's fault for making her confused. Sunny was the most on point with her comments - it's about the power of these industries and how they influence. While I do agree that being more curvy, there is a more assumed sexualization that takes place, Meghan can kiss my ass with her attempt to discredit Sunny's 'curvy' experiences just because Sunny isn't as big as her. THAT is an example of why people call you a fucking bitch, Meghan.

Totally agree. Jessica’s pervy dad made her virginity a public topic of conversation. I recall watching a clip from her wedding video where her virginity was mentioned.  It totally sexualized her.  Again, it sends a confusing message to men regarding a women’s value.   Virginity is something a woman’s father can brag about, a male/husband can boast about taking from a woman and a young celebrity can peddle. It’s confusing to adults much more to teens. 

• Love 9
On 12/7/2018 at 10:01 AM, Haleth said:

I think this is the look he was going for:image.png.c70a7155836ecd695cd7f900f17574d6.png

Heheh Mr FreezeMeister is my favorite Christmas charactor always hahaha, and i know i got the name wrong.  Escaping me right now

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Jebus, I hope Mia Love isn't a Mormon, because she was clearly flying high high high on caffeine today.  Good Lord!

I think she's still Mormon.  She was raised Catholic (her parents are from Haiti) and she converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. 

• Love 3

Interesting to me today -  The first segment talked about comics who made homophobic jokes.   Then they had Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard on. 

15 years ago, when Clay and Ruben were on American Idol, making "GAY CLAY!"  jokes were standard for comedians, talk show hosts, and everyone else.  When Clay Aiken was a contestant on AI, and declined to discuss his sexuality, Kathy Griffin, Jay Leno, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O'Brien,  Howard Stern, used him as fodder for their monologues and routines.   Homophobic jokes and insults were pretty standard, and Clay was the target for quite some time, for demeaning comments and ridicule.  I remember hearing some graphic disgusting comments directed at him, at a time when singers, actors, and anyone in the public eye was held up to ridicule if there was even a hint they might be gay.   I think that this is often forgotten or denied. 

I'm not defending Kevin Hart.  I'm just saying that people forget that homophobic "humor" was a huge part of mainstream entertainment for a long time, and singling out one person for it isn't fair, when so many others get a pass.  And, that we kind of forget pretty quickly. about how common  that ugly brand of humor was.  It's never mentioned any more, how "Clay Aiken"  was a punchline of many jokes only 15 years ago, and comics used his name AS a gay slur. 

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 13
On 12/7/2018 at 2:17 PM, pinguina said:

And as someone stated that "Americans" comes from somewhere else unless you have indigenous people in your ancestry. 

Or you were brought here beyond your own volition.

• Love 9
On 12/5/2018 at 10:49 AM, Apprentice79 said:

I think that they do love it, but, I think that Joy reached a point of no return with Megan and Joy has a lot of pull on the show. Megan has to watch herself, if she does something to disrespect Joy again. Joy will leave and I don't think that Whoopie and Sunny will tolerate her any longer. 

Exactly. I don't think it's a coincidence that Ana is there on Fridays. This is their way of testing out another Conservative who can easily be transitioned to permanent should the need arise. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Marigny said:

This is their way of testing out another Conservative who can easily be transitioned to permanent should the need arise. 

I truly believe offer was made to Ana before Meghan, but at the time she didn't want to work in NYC because of her Florida living arrangement.  That has changed COMPLETELY.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Clay was the target for quite some time, for demeaning comments and ridicule.  

I remember this well.  They were relentless in going after Clay.  I remember Conan O'Brien telling a Clay-is-gay joke almost every other week.  He stopped after he and Clay met at Rosie O'Donnell's variety special.  (There's a picture somewhere of the two of them, with Clay smiling happily and Conan looking extremely uneasy and nervous.)  The other comedians stopped after Clay came out.  The thing is, they seemed to be going after Clay because he wasn't out yet.  The moment he came out, the jokes stopped.  I always wondered if any of them realized they were telling the teens of America that it's OK to torment and ridicule your classmates you think are gay.

I agree with those above about Meghan declaring herself as an American during the ancestry segment.  Who does that, really?  Why is she so desperate to make us believe she's a "true" American, what with her Lincoln necklace and her portraits of founding fathers? 

I'd love to know what went on backstage this week.  Did Meghan apologize to Joy?  I'll bet not.  Did they talk at all?  Did the producers warn her not to do it again?  Did Whoopi get involved and give her "baby" some constructive criticism?  So many questions. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Clay was the target for quite some time, for demeaning comments and ridicule. 

I think the main problem was that Clay (through his management) encouraged and "flirted" with the concept that he might be available romantically to his female Claymates.  He was portrayed as an all-American, wholesome, Christian man.  What's more perfect? Old ladies were in love with him; teenagers were in love with him.  They bought Clay Aiken pillows, pajamas, etc.  If there hadn't been so much publicity about his "desirability," those who knew or thought he was gay might not have been so vocal.  Or cruel.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

And somehow better and "truer" than the rest of us?

She's so proud that she's "American " through and through  Something she had no responsibility for nor should be holding in such reverance.  She needs to start with her own behavior somthing she does have control over and needs to take responsibility for.  She just doesn't get that the slamming she gets via social media has nothing to do with politics.    She's making the workplace a hostile place. It's good it's just 2 hours of their day.  

At this point she could cure cancer and it wouldn't cancel out the way she has treated Joy. 

• Love 13

I find ancestry stuff really fascinating, especially in regards to migration patterns, diasporas, all that kind of thing. However when these representatives from these companies come onto shows like The View to hawk their products it never feels as interesting as it could be. The representative usually looks like they don't want to make waves and therefore is careful not to correct the incorrect views of DNA spouted by the hosts, if that makes sense?

For Meghan to brush off the Senegalese DNA as being something that everyone has because we all come from Africa and not be corrected is kinda weird, because I'm pretty sure that her results point to Senegalese DNA entering her family during a much more recent point of time than the dawn of humanity, but don't quote me as I'm not an expert (but I have done one of these tests and there is no African DNA in mine which there should be if we all have it for that reason). I imagine what it shows is, considering US history, that it was during the time of slavery that Senegalese DNA entered Meghan's family, and judging by what we know of those times, it probably wasn't through a love relationship, if you get me.

It was very telling that Miss All-American completely glossed over the sliver of Native American/Andean DNA found in her saliva. At that point she could've said: "See? I really am a true American!", even if just joking as it was such a small percentage, but it seems clear to me that to her a "true" American is the white, Anglo-Saxon kind, otherwise, why not make more of a deal about having DNA from the original Americans? She was much more concerned with migration patterns of the Anglo-Saxons.

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, SuzieSioux said:

For Meghan to brush off the Senegalese DNA as being something that everyone has because we all come from Africa and not be corrected is kinda weird, because I'm pretty sure that her results point to Senegalese DNA entering her family during a much more recent point of time than the dawn of humanity, but don't quote me as I'm not an expert (but I have done one of these tests and there is no African DNA in mine which there should be if we all have it for that reason).

Three Christmases ago I gave DNA kits  to my two sons.  I decided to get each of them from a different company just to see if the results were similar (at least).  They were exactly the same.  I already had done one (free) through a study for my autoimmune disease.  Not one of us had a sliver of African or Native American*/Andean.   Before we ever did human DNA testing, we got one for our Humane Society dog and the results were amazing (as in part Borzoi !). 

*My children's father always claimed to be part Native American "because my mother was from Oklahoma."  Nope...and I learned after his death that his mother was from Idaho.

• Love 7

I had to laugh at Meghan saying she thought maybe part of her ancestry was Irish or Scottish. I don't know where she thinks the name McCain came from! It's so silly; it's comparable to Arnold Schwarzenegger thinking that perhaps he had some Germanic ancestry.

As for ancient African DNA, it's gone in most people. I read something over the weekend that said white people having traces of African DNA most likely inherited it within the past 100 to 300 years.

Her insistence that all of her genes are American, bolstered by the fact that her McCain ancestors were all in the military, is just crazy. I'm really proud of knowing my German ancestors came here with nothing and made something of themselves in this country. Ditto for my UK ancestors. I feel it makes me quintessentially American!

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 14

The difference between "Clay Aiken was the target of homophobic jokes" and "Kevin Hart tells homophobic jokes" is verb tense. 

It's long past time for Hart's humor and attitudes to have, given the "ancestry" topic, evolved. 

McCain is, in a word,  useless. Her presence on "The View" is another joke. 

• Love 10
8 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I had to laugh at Meghan saying she thought maybe part of her ancestry was Irish or Scottish. I don't know where she thinks the name McCain came from! It's so silly; it's comparable to Arnold Schwarzenegger thinking that perhaps he had some Germanic ancestry.

As for ancient African DNA, it's gone in most people. I read something over the weekend that said white people having traces of African DNA most likely inherited it within the past 100 to 300 years.

Her insistence that all of her genes are American, bolstered by the fact that her McCain ancestors were all in the military, is just crazy. I'm really proud of knowing my German ancestors came here with nothing and made something of themselves in this country. Ditto for my UK ancestors. I feel it makes me quintessentially American!

Just Further proof she's an idiot and clearly didn't inherit any of the smart genes from her dad.

Speaking of ancestry, I've never taken these tests, but it's a long running joke in my family--that I tease my mother especially, that we aren't "pure" Indians (from India*) because my maternal grandma has green eyes. Only my younger cousin (mom's brother's kid) inherited them. I taunt my Mum that clearly there's some British blood in our genes, what with the Colonization of our home country! It continues to peeve my sister that she didn't inherit the eyes! And none of my cousins' children did either. So I guess it stopped with my cousin. Or maybe it skips a generation and my grandnephews/nieces will get them! Hee.

*I had to always tell people I was "India-Indian" and not Native American growing up and into my 30s because people were stupid.

• Love 12

Oh Good God....I just now watched Friday's show I think (we didn't get it in Atlanta) it was on demand and saw her talk about her big ole perfect boobs and wearing a size 12 or 14....I DID A HOLLYWOOD SPIT TAKE ON THAT ONE.  I spit right into the big ole barf bag.....WHAT PLANET DOES SHE LIVE ON?  We have eyes porkie!

• Love 7