Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Hold the Salt

tessaray
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, greekmom said:

What about Fred? Or is he being erased like Andy?  Fred actually treated Jackie pretty well till Jackie screwed that up.

A part of me would love to see Fred again, but then I remember that how that relationship went wrong and the way Jackie was written throughout was one of the reasons I quit the show and spent 20 years bitching about it to people...

• Love 5

I really like Darlene.  Maybe because she reminds me the most of me.  Maybe a little darker and a little more alpha but still someone who was most like me growing up.   I can see the death of Roseanne and her marriage hitting her hard.  She is unlike her sister in that she has never been all that sexually active.  This new guy...is so new.  She may not know how to deal with a guy who is unlike anyone like she has ever been with before.   

I really liked the scene between Darlene and Blue because it was actually helpful unlike the scene with Darlene and Becky which was more for laughs.

• Love 15

I love Jay R Ferguson and am glad he is on the show for at least more than one episode.  It seems like the show has a lot of support from name actors but then again a lot of the revivals have the same thing.  

I hate the beginning when Dan puts the whole sausage in his mouth and takes it out.  It's gross and I have to look away.  

This show is consistent in making me laugh and I just love the humor.

• Love 18
40 minutes ago, greekmom said:

What about Fred? Or is he being erased like Andy?  Fred actually treated Jackie pretty well till Jackie screwed that up.

I did think about Fred after I posted-but decided to leave my post. I never could quite understand the Jackie- Fred relationship. However, I think you make a good point. Jackie ran from what could have been a great relationship and runs toward the bad ones.  Probably why she won’t get together with Dan. 

I was impressed with the fact that Jackie finally admitted that Roseanne treated her terribly. She did a great bit about how Roseanne would have handled the boyfriend situation. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

Why is it always Jackie’s fault?  And Darlene’s fault for their marriages falling apart. Jackie  didn’t want to Marry Fred in the first place he kept pushing a relationship on her and they were just plain wrong fir each other.  Jackie actually tried to make it work but Fred was a bore and Jackie actually wanted a little excitement in her life but Fred just wanted to go home have dinner and sit in front of the tv.

Darlene has a strong personality and David liked that about her.  We can never really know for sure how or why the relationship failed but from what I inferred he left her after Mark died. The death of the marriage is on David not Darlene.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 23
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She wasn't a very good guest (personally, I'd be happy to take my shoes off; half my shoes are within 10 feet of my front door because I usually kick them off as soon as I get home), but for a few minutes there I was wondering if we were going to learn he had OCD or something.

She went in there looking for a fight, I think; she argued too aggressively too quickly about wine (even if it does make sense if someone doesn't like red at all) and salt. And same here with the shoes, not primarily because of germs (though I don't like thinking about that at all!) but because I hate wearing shoes in the house (and people on TV always seem to do it, even when they have their feet on furniture!). I'm glad there is no OCD theme though because none of those things he did really indicated having OCD.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

hate the beginning when Dan puts the whole sausage in his mouth and takes it out.  It's gross and I have to look away.  

Me too! Last night I thought, "Oh great. I have to see this every episode". 

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

She went in there looking for a fight, I think; she argued too aggressively too quickly about wine (even if it does make sense if someone doesn't like red at all) and salt. And same here with the shoes, not primarily because of germs (though I don't like thinking about that at all!) but because I hate wearing shoes in the house (and people on TV always seem to do it, even when they have their feet on furniture!). I'm glad there is no OCD theme though because none of those things he did really indicated having OCD.

That’s why I do kind of blame Becky.  Darlene went to her for advice on dating and she gave her horror stories about expecting horses in her bed.  This was the exact opposite of what Darlene did for her during the previous episode.   Darlene needed reassurance.   That isn’t too much too ask when she didn’t get it all her worst instincts came out and she purposely blew up what might actually be a good thing.  

But then she got good advice from Blue.   Which is what she needed in the first place.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9

I have to disagree with some here in that I thought Ben came across as super controlling from the first minute. Maybe controlling is too negative a word. But he's definitely a person who wants everything done a certain way. I know from personal experience that people like this can be incredibly challenging to be with, unless you're fine with it, which Darlene is not. 

That said, I'm not against this story line. Alpha or controlling people clash with each other constantly in real life. It's totally realistic. For example, what happens when 2 people who are the oldest in their family, or who are perhaps only children, fall in love? Who's in charge? I'm looking forward to seeing how this dynamic plays out.

(I'm an oldest child married to an only child. Can you tell?) 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 16
9 hours ago, Meushell said:

Ben didn’t come off as an alpha, and much more willing to compromise. The shoe issue, well, it’s his house. The wine, all he did was ask her to try the red first. The salt, he obviously didn’t want his food salted. She was welcomed to add it to her portion at the table. Darlene really has issues if she finds someone controlling because they don’t do everything she wants.

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't like red wine.  Actually, I barely like ANY wine but the only kind I can kind of tolerate is Pinot Grigio.  I really don't care about "pairing" my wine.  So, if someone insisted that I tried red wine I would 1. Think they were a wine snob and 2. Insist that I REALLY don't like red.  They WAY Darlene kept insisting on opening the white was wrong, but in principal I don't think she was wrong.  She should have asked to open both.  But, like it's been mentioned- she came into the apartment bristly and ready to fight.  

7 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I have to disagree with some here in that I thought Ben came across as super controlling from the first minute. Maybe controlling is too negative a word. But he's definitely a person who wants everything done a certain way. I know from personal experience that people like this can be incredibly challenging to be with, unless you're fine with it, which Darlene is not. 

Ben did also come off quite aggressively, though.  I don't understand why they couldn't compromise since it was their first date.  First dates are when you are generally on your best behavior.  I think that Ben DID have the right to ask Darlene to take her shoes off and I do think he had the right to ask her not to keep salting his food.  But, they both could've handled this more tactfully.  I would've been much more likely to give the show a pass if it were actually funny, but it wasn't and just made me realize that I don't want them together after all. 

9 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I can't tell if Broderick is playing the role this way intentionally or if he's just not used to this format (I don't know how many sitcoms he's even been on), but it's offputting. At least we know he's supposed to be a bad guy (I assume) so the weirdness feels like a more deliberate choice. 

I was surprised to see Lewis again, but it makes sense to use Blue to keep David around in this universe. I'm glad she and Darlene still aren't friends. 

He hasn't had an extended role on too many sitcoms that I can see on IMDB, but he's done plenty of TV acting.  I don't know if it's the director that's making him play so broad or what, but I actually hope his storyline wraps up really soon.  I find him extremely annoying, and I hate to say that about Ferris Bueller. 

• Love 8

I don't like red wine.  Actually, I barely like ANY wine but the only kind I can kind of tolerate is Pinot Grigio.  I really don't care about "pairing" my wine.  So, if someone insisted that I tried red wine I would 1. Think they were a wine snob and 2. Insist that I REALLY don't like red.  They WAY Darlene kept insisting on opening the white was wrong, but in principal I don't think she was wrong.  She should have asked to open both.  But, like it's been mentioned- she came into the apartment bristly and ready to fight.  

Yup--I don't much like red either, regardless of what it complements well (though I freely admit to accepting it in a pinch!).

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

Salting his food was super obnoxious, but I was definitely Team Darlene on the rest of it! (Although I have to speak up for vegan paella here -- it's freakin' delicious.)

Considering the way the Conners always ate, Darlene is not going to have much of a palate or any manners.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

I hate the beginning when Dan puts the whole sausage in his mouth and takes it out.  It's gross and I have to look away.  

Me too! I am hoping they change the credits in season 2. The other thing I noticed about the credits is that Jackie looks like she is grabbing a tub of Earth Balance butter, which is the one I use. I always wonder how she convinced Dan and Roseanne to try to use vegan butter (or maybe it was Darlene's idea?).

I hate Jackie's storyline. If I were Jackie, and realized that single Lanford men were basically trash, I would be expanding my horizons. Jackie has Facebook, why not Tinder or OKCupid? There has to be better available men in her age group, and she looks great for her age. Jackie has never been afraid of trying new things, I would have thought that she would've been the first to jump into online dating, way back in the chatroom days.

Jackie's storyline brings me back to the one nitpick I consistently have with this show: Since Sarah Gilbert's is the EP, its annoying that Darlene is the only one that gets to win. Jackie gets saddled with another shitty boyfriend, Becky gets knocked up by someone in a similar or worse position then her. Darlene got two jobs in a still-economically depressed town. She was able to walk out of one job with basically no repercussions. In the same town that available men are hard to come by, she found not 1, but 2, decent guys to date and her ex is still somewhat in love with her. Darlene just seems to have such incredible luck. 

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 13

Ok I just watched and ouch, it hurts when so many moments were cut!   They had a really funny bit of Becky basically doing her grocery shopping at the house (DJ later commenting that he can’t find the mini doughnuts he bought for the kids lunches), a hilarious bit where she walks in with that huge playpen/death trap, and this might be a cut folks appreciate, Geena actually DID mention God at one point too.   Also in one of the takes when Mary complained about getting crayons to Jackie, Jackie said “oh that will be perfect with the loose leaf paper I am getting you.”  Lol

Also a line that I had mentioned earlier that kinda soured me on Ben was also not included-  at the end in the office, Darlene asked him why he is such a germaphobe at home, yet he had sex on the office desk, and he replies “well I wasn’t the one touching the desk.”  Which is funny but also kinda yikes.  

• Love 15
48 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

Also a line that I had mentioned earlier -  at the end in the office, Darlene asked him why he is such a germaphobe at home, yet he had sex on the office desk, and he replies “well I wasn’t the one touching the desk.

Slut that I am, I don't get it.

Also did they include the line that Ben is only the second guy Darlene has had sex with?  That surprised me! 

I thought she slept with Jimmy when she moved in with during one of her breakups with David.

What in the tighten up has Juliette Lewis done to her face?  Adore her forever but goddamn!

When Ben told Darlene ‘You know exactly the kind of woman I’m looking for’, I got a serious case of the thigh sweats!  He’s sexy as fuck and while I like David Darlene/David IMO are done, bring on Darlene and Ben!

Either Jackie’s new boyfriend is a serial killer or he’s just a weirdo who is purposefully taking her money before giving her the heave-ho.  Matthew Broderick gives me the cringes and I hope this godawful storyline ends soon.

Some may find it interesting that this episode is directed by Kimberly McCullough (Robin Scorpio-Drake, GH).

I see that the Wee One has done very well for herself as a director….I believe she also directs Raven’s Home on occasion and I’ve seen her name on other shows as well.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 13
45 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

Ok I just watched and ouch, it hurts when so many moments were cut!   They had a really funny bit of Becky basically doing her grocery shopping at the house (DJ later commenting that he can’t find the mini doughnuts he bought for the kids lunches), a hilarious bit where she walks in with that huge playpen/death trap, and this might be a cut folks appreciate, Geena actually DID mention God at one point too.   Also in one of the takes when Mary complained about getting crayons to Jackie, Jackie said “oh that will be perfect with the loose leaf paper I am getting you.”  Lol

Also a line that I had mentioned earlier that kinda soured me on Ben was also not included-  at the end in the office, Darlene asked him why he is such a germaphobe at home, yet he had sex on the office desk, and he replies “well I wasn’t the one touching the desk.”  Which is funny but also kinda yikes.  

Thanks for all your reports on the taping you attended!  So Ben is a germaphobe?

• Love 7
4 hours ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

I hate the beginning when Dan puts the whole sausage in his mouth and takes it out.

Aw, that's my favorite part of the opening....and because it is totally something I'd do, heh.

• Love 7

I thought Darlene slept with Jimmy too.  Maybe it was just an awkwardly worded line or the showrunners have forgotten about Jimmy.

I love the opening with the sausage.  It is such a real moment.  Almost like It wasn’t even written and Goodman just “did it” and they just kept it because everyone thought it was hilarious.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 13
4 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I thought Darlene sleigh with Jimmy too.  Maybe it was just an awkwardly worded line or the showrunners hace forgotten about Jimmy.

I love the opening with the sausage.  It is such a real moment.  Almost like It wasn’t even written and Goodman just “did it” and they just kept it because everyone thought it was hilarious.  

Yeah it doesn’t bother me either-  it’s like he stuck out his tongue but with the sausage.   It makes me laugh.   

So with the Jimmy eps she basically said she MIGHT in the future sleep with him.   Then later she mentions sleeping with him but by that point they had already broken up so she was lying.   She was trying to save face bc David had a string of pretty girls at that point.   

One more thing about this taping-  Juliette Lewis had SO MUCH trouble getting her lines out.   She didn’t seem to have them memorized and the funniest thing is she couldn’t say “anesthesiologist” lol.   You can see her smile when she finally gets the word out in the ep!  And there was another funny bit that was cut when Darlene was ordering her coffee-  she wanted it to be a specific distance from the top of the cup but was trying to act like she was chill about it but she wasn’t chill at all lol.   So then when Blue shows up and she’s like “just bring me whatever”, it’s even funnier.  

• Love 13

didn't find this episode all that interesting. Becky and Darlene near the beginning was good, and for whatever reason I liked the weirdness of Matthew Broderick.  I liked the Darlene and her boss's scene at his house but found the resolution to their dispute very Hollywood. Would a guy in Landford really initiate that type of conversation and say "I'm all in"? It just seemed like a romance novel to me. And can Jackie be a bit less dumb about men? And I didn't like the scene w Darlene and David's girlfriend. Just wasn't believable to me.

• Love 2

Having trouble with quoting here, but regarding Darlene/Ben, I don't know what HE sees in HER...she's rude, sarcastic, controlling and not exactly choice in the looks department. Wouldn't matter if she had anything else going for her,  but she doesn't 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Regarding Darlene/Ben, I don't know what HE sees in HER...she's rude, sarcastic, controlling and not exactly choice in the looks department.

You could reverse this....Ben is kinda schlubby, is rude, sarcastic and also controlling.  And definitely my type, heh.

Anyway, as a straight woman I've always found something sexy about Sara G.; I don't know if it is the hair or what, but I'd buy a license if I were into chicks.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

You could reverse this....Ben is kinda schlubby, is rude, sarcastic and also controlling.  And definitely my type, heh.

Anyway, as a straight woman I've always found something sexy about Sara G.; I don't know if it is the hair or what, but I'd buy a license if I were into chicks.

Same!!!   She’s definitely on the top of my “If I was into girls” list.   I don’t know, I always thought she was cute, fit, pretty green eyes, but mostly it’s her aura?

As far as personality, she is smart, witty, and just.... Darlene!   I don’t know why but I just love her, always have, always will lol

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

So with the Jimmy eps she basically said she MIGHT in the future sleep with him.   Then later she mentions sleeping with him but by that point they had already broken up so she was lying.   She was trying to save face bc David had a string of pretty girls at that point.

But she came very close to living with Jimmy.  You don't move in with a romantic partner you haven't even reached the sex stage of the relationship with.

And David ran out on her a long time ago; she hasn't had sex with anyone in that entire time?  I can buy her not being ready for a boyfriend until recently, but not a decade or whatever without sex.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But she came very close to living with Jimmy.  You don't move in with a romantic partner you haven't even reached the sex stage of the relationship with.

And David ran out on her a long time ago; she hasn't had sex with anyone in that entire time?  I can buy her not being ready for a boyfriend until recently, but not a decade or whatever without sex.

Yeah I don’t know.   I want more detail than this show is giving us lol.   If she really only ever did sleep with David until now, that really says a lot about her characterization, and possibly Sara Gilbert’a headcanon-becoming-canon about her.  

4 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

Yeah I don’t know.   I want more detail than this show is giving us lol.   If she really only ever did sleep with David until now, that really says a lot about her characterization, and possibly Sara Gilbert’a headcanon-becoming-canon about her.  

I think Becky was making an assumption and Darlene didn't correct her. But the show implied strongly that she slept with the guy who was a lot like David -came  home in her previous days clothes the next morning where she found David on the doorstep. I do like the idea that she was faithful to David except when they formally separated last season.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I have to try this. I've eaten paella in Spain a few times, but I've never had it with the crusty rice on the bottom. I feel robbed. :)

Crusty rice! Yum. We even enjoy it with plain white rice. 

Has everyone in this show forgotten how to act? I stopped watching after the first couple of eps this season but made the mistake last night of trying again (mainly because there was absolutely nothing else on). It's actually gotten WORSE. I can't understand how this show, with most of the same people, used to be so good and is now so very, very bad.

• Love 3

but I was definitely Team Darlene on the rest of it!

Nope, don't fiddle with someone's cooking, and don't wear your shoes in their house if they ask you not to.  Or, don't wear shoes inside houses, that's gross.  I really don't understand why people do that.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

It sounds like that means Ben was standing up and Darlene was sitting/leaning on the desk. I don't get what's "yikes" about it, but I wasn't at the taping, so I didn't hear the delivery.

Regarding the dinner scene, count me in the camp where Darlene was in the wrong. She went in there defenses up and looking for...not a fight, exactly, but a reason to shut things down. (Thanks, Becky!) The only thing I can ding Ben for is that he didn't handle the wine conflict as tactfully as he could have. Let her have white if she wants! Otherwise, taking your shoes off in the house isn't an unreasonable or unusual request, and really don't season someone else's cooking, that's flat-out rude. Salt the food when it's on your own plate.

Still, I continue to like Ben and Darlene together. I see chemistry there and it's fun to see her adjusting to a guy she can't push around.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 11

See, my take on it was that they are both alphas. Both need to be in charge, and both were used to being in charge. Now they have to navigate a relationship between two alphas. 

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 8

I thought Becky meant that Darlene had slept with only two guys before sleeping with Ben - like, of course you're not experienced with how this newly sexual relationship should go, you've only been with two guys before it.

I've already deleted it from the DVR so I can't double-check, but I remember thinking that's how it was meant because it struck me as weird until I understood.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

See, my take on it was that they are both alphas. Both need to be in charge, and both were used to being in charge. Now they have to navigate a relationship between two alphas. 

Yes, that is what he said. 

I like the idea in theory (if he wasn't her boss), but in execution is just isn't working for me, at least thus far.  It could be funny to see David watch them interact, though.

• Love 6

Darlene was asking him if he was such a germaphobe, why was he willing to have sex on a desk and he replied that he was not the one on the desk. It just means that he was on top and she was on the filthy, dirty desk.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

And a big fat eww to Darlene boning him on the desk.  Of their office.

You obviously never watch Young and Restless, where office desks, couches, kitchen islands and elevators have replaced beds completely.  And yes...eeewwww!!!

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Darlene has a strong personality

You say "strong personality," I say "bully." 😉

5 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Either Jackie’s new boyfriend is a serial killer or he’s just a weirdo who is purposefully taking her money before giving her the heave-ho.  Matthew Broderick gives me the cringes and I hope this godawful storyline ends soon.

When did Matthew Broderick go from cute teen (Ferris Bueller, Wargames) to "Want some candy, little boy?" with a white panel van with no windows?

• Love 12
46 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Darlene was asking him if he was such a germaphobe, why was he willing to have sex on a desk and he replied that he was not the one on the desk. It just means that he was on top and she was on the filthy, dirty desk.

I imagine that line was edited out because in the end, it makes no sense.  It was HIS desk!  I don't care whose bottom was on it, or what mess might have come from them having sex on it - Ben would have to do the day's tasks on it afterwards.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Hey, in her day, George Clooney’s character ( can’t remember his name) was all over her; she’s really lost her mojo!

Booker.  His name was Booker.  And he managed the women working at Wellman so he was technically her boss.

• Love 10
21 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I was thinking that too, except if she's stupid enough to but him expensive presents, pay for his freaking tuition, and put his name on her accounts, maybe she deserves it. Isn't Jackie smarter than that?

I was dumb enough to loan my ex money (I got...some of it back) but I would never have put his name on my accounts even after two years together, let alone, what - a couple months Jackie's been dating this guy?

9 hours ago, Melina22 said:

That said, I'm not against this story line. Alpha or controlling people clash with each other constantly in real life. It's totally realistic. For example, what happens when 2 people who are the oldest in their family, or who are perhaps only children, fall in love? Who's in charge? I'm looking forward to seeing how this dynamic plays out.

My dad's the oldest of 3 and my mom's the youngest of 4; I honestly couldn't tell you which one of them is "in charge" (they'll be married 49 years in April).

9 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I hate wine, I don't care what color it is (also beer; I'm not much of a drinker in general). Also wondering what's in vegan paella, because the non-vegan ingredients of regular paella that someone mentioned above are none of 'em things that I would eat, either. (Surprising me with food, unless you really know me, is ...unlikely to go well.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

It sounds like that means Ben was standing up and Darlene was sitting/leaning on the desk. I don't get what's "yikes" about it, but I wasn't at the taping, so I didn't hear the delivery.

Regarding the dinner scene, count me in the camp where Darlene was in the wrong. She went in there defenses up and looking for...not a fight, exactly, but a reason to shut things down. (Thanks, Becky!) The only thing I can ding Ben for is that he didn't handle the wine conflict as tactfully as he could have. Let her have white if she wants! Otherwise, taking your shoes off in the house isn't an unreasonable or unusual request, and really don't season someone else's cooking, that's flat-out rude. Salt the food when it's on your own plate.

I think it was more the overall tone all around-   I mentioned the scene at the apartment was more aggressive first time around, and then with this line too-  it just seemed like he was a jerk.   I mean she definitely has her moments too (and when she was a teenager she was downright abusive at times).  So when he said this after they made up, it sounded like he was disrespecting her.   Just seeing this big man in person being a jerk to this tiny woman didn’t feel like we should be rooting for them to make it.   I hope that makes some sense.   But also I know this is a sitcom with cutting humor and that’s one reason I love this show.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was dumb enough to loan my ex money (I got...some of it back) but I would never have put his name on my accounts even after two years together, let alone, what - a couple months Jackie's been dating this guy?

My dad's the oldest of 3 and my mom's the youngest of 4; I honestly couldn't tell you which one of them is "in charge" (they'll be married 49 years in April).

I hate wine, I don't care what color it is (also beer; I'm not much of a drinker in general). Also wondering what's in vegan paella, because the non-vegan ingredients of regular paella that someone mentioned above are none of 'em things that I would eat, either. (Surprising me with food, unless you really know me, is ...unlikely to go well.)

Insisting that you drink red wine instead of the white wine you prefer would unlikely go well with me.  Red wine is headache material to some people.  Others couldn't care less about pairing wines with dishes.  If you have a guest in your house, they should get to choose what they want to drink.  If you're a man, treating your woman like she's a queen goes a lot farther than being a controlling, "I know what's best and I'm right" attitude.  If the guy has a standard policy of no shoes in his home, then that's fine.  The salting was wrong of Darlene because she wasn't the cook.

Jackie was a police officer, and is now a life coach.  Why would she get suckered into financing her new boyfriend other than being desperate for a man?  Now that Peter is on notice that Dan is watching, I wonder how much longer this can go on.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I’m an only child married to an oldest child. Luckily we agree politically. Lol

I thought that both Darlene and Ben were assholes in that situation, which probably accurately describes my marriage. 

• Love 1
On 12/5/2018 at 12:49 AM, chocolatine said:

I think you're confusing paella with tortilla (Spanish, not Mexican). Paella doesn't have a crust, but it is supposed to have prawns, mussels, and sausage in it.

I've made it without meAt (there are many different recipes) but it baked in the oven.

On 12/4/2018 at 7:45 PM, SHD said:

This! It's almost like he's been doing stage work for so long that he always exaggerates his speech and inflections, as if he has to play to the back rows of the theater. Every line reading is too broad. It doesn't work on TV.

This is why I can't watch the new Will & Grace, BTW. So much shouting.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:08 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I was thinking that too, except if she's stupid enough to but him expensive presents, pay for his freaking tuition, and put his name on her accounts, maybe she deserves it. Isn't Jackie smarter than that?

I keep wondering what kind of cop she was, because the choices we see aren't just bad, they are dumb. Maybe she was a police counselor or something. 

Also, I thought Dan showed tremendous restraint with Peter in the restaurant. 

On 12/4/2018 at 11:03 PM, BeachDays said:

At the very least, they are playing with her relationship dynamics and getting her to try out new things, to see how it feels to be bossed around (not so good but maybe sometimes ok to let go and not always have things her way).   

I think that's right. This is less about this particular guy than it is about Darlene finally learning there are other types of relationships, and they aren't all wrong just because they aren't what you prefer. The guy I can take or leave, aside from the fact that he must be a good guy, so that we are looking at Darlene's thoughts instead of focusing on a guy who sucks. The interactions with Darlene, where you can see her pondering a different path, are what matters.

Overall, this ep wasn't as funny as last week, but I like where they are going as they stretch characters. If the show lasts long enough for Dan to find a new love interest, THAT will be interesting.

Edited by Ottis
Because Peter isn't named Walter
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Jackie was a police officer, and is now a life coach.  Why would she get suckered into financing her new boyfriend other than being desperate for a man?  Now that Peter is on notice that Dan is watching, I wonder how much longer this can go on.

She has also had painfully bad luck with men.  One of her long term boyfriend abused her.  I think this was even after she was a cop.   Jackie has always been searching for the same relationship Roseanne and Dan have but falling short.   

• Love 3