Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Someday...

• Start Topic

The evolution that I see in Joel is that he has stopped being envious of Midge’s comedy career and has started respecting it. He knows from experience how tough stand up comedy is and I find it refreshing that he has come to admire Midge as something other than a wife and mother of his children. 

• Love 6

Isn't Imogen supposed to be pregnant? She looked adorable in that green ensemble. But not pregnant.

It's weird that Joel is playing tough guy but whatever. It's like the show doesn't realize that the audience knows what camera angles are. Sometimes he's short. Sometimes he's tall. I'm not an idiot. It would have made more sense to call Ben (though I'm not sure he would have risked his hands to punch someone) but I get not wanting to call in Zachary Levi for another day of shooting when it was just a quick scene.

Oh now her mom enforces some discipline?

• Love 1

This episode was a great example of why people say you shouldn't get married to someone until you take a road trip with them first. Being stuck in a small metal box with someone for hours can bring out the worst in people so better you know that before you make a lifelong commitment. Even when both people are generally genial, shit happens so you get to see how they react to things not going their way.

On top of that, performing in unknown venues brings another level of not knowing what to expect. The backstage area rang true for me too. I used to be a performer and sometimes I would get booked to play in clubs or other venues with no dressing room or a tiny closet. One time the performers were given part of the kitchen to use as the dressing room. People like to mock celebrity riders because of the nitpicky things they ask for, but most of the time those very specific requirements are a result of working at a shitty venue that didn't have adequate backstage accommodations.

Anyway, I enjoyed watching Midge and Susie go from "woooo, road trip!" to bickering because it's realistic to get annoyed with each other hen everything is going wrong.

I loved that rose left the entire mess from the baby shower for Midge to clean up. I mean, seriously, she completely forgot about her best friend's party, which she was supposed to host, so it seems like the absolute very least she could do is clean up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 12/18/2018 at 6:59 PM, grayson said:

qtpye writes:

Joel is somehow appealing to me, so his rehabilitation is welcome. He projects a sort of wiry athleticism. I am baffled by my own reaction to the Joel character, because small men are repulsive to me in my actual life.

I also find Joel wildly attractive and he is nothing like the men I dated or the man I married. I don't understand the attraction but I like his face. I find him sexy as hell, even though he is small in stature.

• Love 2
On 12/22/2018 at 1:41 PM, Clanstarling said:

In my (limited) experience, big guys who bully women often back down when faced with physical confrontation with a man.

It wasn't my favorite scene, and I go back and forth on the effectiveness of Joel's growth (due to some of the points you make), but I still like their evolving relationship. And it's a nit pick, but Joel's reason wasn't that he didn't want a comedian wife, as he has been supportive of her talent even when she wasn't aware of it, but that he couldn't take being the fodder for her jokes. Which I think is both fair, and shows some self-awareness.

I thought the recorder was a goner too.

Yep, she was girdled up in the height of fashion for her day. I'm thankful I came of (stocking) age at the cusp of the predominance of pantyhose - so I only wore real "stockings" for a short time (with no girdle, cause I was a kid), and have now forgone pantyhose as well, because they are their own form of hell.

Seems to me most of womanhood is going sans panty hose or stockings. They are a thing of the past and I'm so glad. Not sure about young women in the work place so I can't speak to those women.

2 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Seems to me most of womanhood is going sans panty hose or stockings. They are a thing of the past and I'm so glad. Not sure about young women in the work place so I can't speak to those women.

Yeah, I think most of the young women I work with don't wear hose or stockings. I wouldn't like it for work because I don't like to have my bare feet in shoes (excepting sandals where my feet can breathe). But life, bad feet, and crap knees solved that problem for me, I wear nothing but athletic shoes these days - which means I wear pants all the time.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:23 PM, grayson said:

Auntie Mame notes:

Auntie Mame  makes a key point that bullies of women (bold added) are often intimidated when another man confronts them. 

qtpye writes:

With all due respect, the night club manager who refused to pay Midge was not twice as large as Joel-they looked approximately equal in size. In episode 10, Joel wears a sleeveless tank style undershirt and looks impressively athletic and fit with strong shoulders, substantial pectorals, and muscular arms--definitely not a "Pee Wee Herman physique". 

Yes. I agree. Joel, to me, is sexy as hell even though I have always gravitated toward larger men.

• Love 1