Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Man Overboard

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Keep it to the show, y'all.  Personal jabs are not welcome here and your fellow posters are not up for discussion.  If you have a problem with a post, report it and don't engage or backseat mod.  Thanks.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, dleighg said:

have you posted a bug on the bugs forum? I've gotten very quick response when I've had (minor) problems in the past.

The Bugs forum had a thread from back in March of this year. Several people having the same problem as PumpkinPK and me. I tried the advice given but none of it worked and that thread was closed awhile ago so I can't post. But thanks anyway for the info. 

I'm wondering if Chandler will be at the reunion? He was not a good bosun/boss. He just looked like he didn't seem comfortable in that role. Everyone wants to move up the ladder of success but he wasn't ready to fill that position. Then he's got denture mouth Ryelee barking at him . He should have fired her. He warned her not to talk to him disrespectfully but she did, again. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

Thank you for sharing your professional insight.  Do you think on some level Ashton was careless/overtired/at fault?  Not blaming the poor kid, I just don't understand how that could happen to an experienced Deck Hand.

We just got another rotten teaser of the incident at the end of this episode, but I still cringe when I think of the incredibly painful-looking injury Bruno got from the rope burn.  He was just so physically pretty too, with his gorgeous Iberian skin.  I hope it didn't leave a scar.   However, Bruno was clearly inexperienced.  Lee, (Mister Captain Lee - lol Josiah) was an ass for laughing and saying he didn't feel bad for Bruno's injury.

I think all deck hands are pretty much newbies, including some of the bosuns we've seen.   Toward the end of each season, they can usually drop and retrieve the anchor, as well as put out bumpers bring the boat in and out of slips.   They don't do much else in terms of boats, other than clean and put out toys.  I was trying to think if that was the first time we've seen them try to tow something.  Or were they dropping an anchor for the runabout?   It was hard to tell.  Either way, we haven't seen them doing much with ropes when the boat was picking up speed.  I think this was inexperience and chaos rather than exhaustion.  Did you see where they had a rope around one of the bumpers?  Really sloppy stuff.

Edited by terrymct
fixed typos
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, terrymct said:

I think all deck hands are pretty much newbies, including some of the bosuns we've seen.   Toward the end of each season, they can usually drop and retrieve the anchor, as well as put our bumpers bring the boat in and out of slips.   They don't do much else in terms of boats, other than clean and put out toys.  I was trying to think if that was the first time we've seen them try to tow something.  Or where they dropping an anchor for the runabout?   It was hard to tell.  Either way, we haven't seen them doing much with ropes when the boat was picking up speed.  I think this was inexperience and chaos rather than exhaustion.  Did you see where they had a rope around one of the bumpers?  Really sloppy stuff.

Thank you, Sailor Terry.

Were you able to tell if it was the rope from the yacht that pulled him into the water, or the rope from the tender being towed in?

Is either more or less precarious?

13 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I disagree. She was glad to have someone experienced and at first, on paper, Laura was great. But it’s a very different thing to bring experience and respect for those at a job you JUST started and experience and judgment and criticism for those at a job you JUST started. Laura chose the latter and that would rub most people the wrong way. I’m sure there are plenty here who will defend such behavior and would welcome such an attitude at their own places of employment, though. 

I’m still hoping Laura just came off too strong in her introduction and I look forward to seeing her proving how experienced she is. And maybe less of her just talking about it. 

I agree that Laura came on way too strong and like you I hope to see an improvement.  However, while Kate's initial reaction may have been positive to the news she was getting a new stew with experience, that may not be relevant.  Based on previous seasons, it's been production's SOP that Kate and the third stew have issues.  If they continue that theme, Laura is doomed to fail. 

• Love 2

I think all deck hands are pretty much newbies, including some of the bosuns we've seen.   Toward the end of each season, they can usually drop and retrieve the anchor, as well as put our bumpers bring the boat in and out of slips.   They don't do much else in terms of boats, other than clean and put out toys.  I was trying to think if that was the first time we've seen them try to tow something.  Or where they dropping an anchor for the runabout?   It was hard to tell.  Either way, we haven't seen them doing much with ropes when the boat was picking up speed.  I think this was inexperience and chaos rather than exhaustion.  Did you see where they had a rope around one of the bumpers?  Really sloppy stuff.

I'm basing my statement on my high level of knowledge from watching a few seasons of Deadliest Catch :) The teaser clips we've seen throughout the season didn't show much but watching this longer clip as soon as the shot went back to platform shot I could see the coil of rope and Ashton was already stepping in it and tangled up as he moved around so I was shocked that he didn't appear to react to try and untangle himself then.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, roundtheworld said:

I'm basing my statement on my high level of knowledge from watching a few seasons of Deadliest Catch :) The teaser clips we've seen throughout the season didn't show much but watching this longer clip as soon as the shot went back to platform shot I could see the coil of rope and Ashton was already stepping in it and tangled up as he moved around so I was shocked that he didn't appear to react to try and untangle himself then.   

Wouldn't be surprised if it was one of his showboating routines to impress the laaaaydaaaays gone awry

• Love 1
1 minute ago, 100Proof said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was one of his showboating routines to impress the laaaaydaaaays gone awry

The first part of the clip we have seen indicates that is in no way the case, he isn’t paying attention to anyone or anything as illustrated by the fact that his foot gets caught.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

The first part of the clip we have seen indicates that is in no way the case, he isn’t paying attention to anyone or anything as illustrated by the fact that his foot gets caught.

I agree. He was simply "working" and got a bit careless with his feet. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

I appreciate the heads up on Unanchored.  Watched about 10 min on my TiVo and was bored.  Now I can delete it and cxl my season pass.

I've written to PTV so many times with no response.  Not only is my customized home page gone, but I Have no list of shows!  I have to go to Goovle now for the forum for each show.  Such a pain.  I tried different browsers, 4 different devices.

If you ever figure it out, plmk the fix!

I have had it happen before where my customized home page seemed gone.  The problem was that somehow it was set to off-air shows only.  On the right side on the top of the list there is an option for On Air/Off Air/Both.  Click on both and hopefully that will restore your homepage.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MrsWitter said:

Oh my God. I just cringed from your story! I hope your uncle ended up being ok. I anticipate I will also be cringing a lot come Tuesday.

A plastic surgeon just sewed it back on (I mean I'm sure it was more involved, but I was probably like 8-10 years old).  Not sure if you could really see skull or if I just remember that was because I was a kid, but it was super gross.  

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have had it happen before where my customized home page seemed gone.  The problem was that somehow it was set to off-air shows only.  On the right side on the top of the list there is an option for On Air/Off Air/Both.  Click on both and hopefully that will restore your homepage.

Yes, I've done the on air/off air option. It didn't change a thing. I think it's a problem with PT itself, not my devices. 

All I know is that it needs to be fixed soon because posting here has become a chore. But I'm a PT addict and I need my daily fix! It's like taking Whitney Houstons crack pipe away from her! Lol.

Edited by chenoa333
Smokin' hot Jamaican
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, AnnA said:

Kate couldn't give Laura a chance.  She had to start cutting her down as soon as she came on board.

I feel like Laura started criticizing everything and acting like a know-it-all the minute she got on board. 

• Love 21
On 12/5/2018 at 4:25 AM, Barbara Please said:

I couldn’t stop laughing when Zen Adrian randomly started working on some hippie crafts, and was making a dream catcher to impress the new stew. Next week watch for him to whip out the pan flute and serenade her with a selection of tunes from the “Best of Zamfir.” 

And then in two weeks, she’ll commit an infraction and be banned from “his” kitchen.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:18 AM, langford peel said:

This discussion about the burgers seems to me to be the crux of the whole series. Balancing what guests prefer and what the crew wants. The preference sheet should be their bible. Instead chefs put onions in the food when they specifically were told that the primary hated them or when requesting simple burgers they get foodie tarted up bullshit. Who is in charge here? The guests or the crew? If you are paying all this money you should get what you want. Period.

Exactly. Not to mention that if they want burgers, it’s not like they can step out and go to McDonalds or something. 

• Love 6
On 12/5/2018 at 1:18 PM, langford peel said:

This discussion about the burgers seems to me to be the crux of the whole series. Balancing what guests prefer and what the crew wants. 

Add what Bravo production wants to that formula and you've hit the sweet spot.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 5

I'm not sure Adrian preparing that meal was a big deal.  Could be selective editing.

For all we know, he ran it by the guests and they were okay with it but they inserted some shots of the guests which make it appear like they were stupefied.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, scrb said:

For all we know, he ran it by the guests and they were okay with it but they inserted some shots of the guests which make it appear like they were stupefied.

The unenthusiastic comments went along with the looks, including "I guess this is his version of mac and cheese" and "why lamb?", it seemed to me that while the food was objectivelty good so they didn't want to complain about it it also wasnt what they really wanted. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

Love seeing the unicorn comments about Adrian.  I want to throat punch him so much.  I just can't stand him!

And maybe I'm just not foodie enough but there are times when I got out with the boyfriend to restaurants in Bethesda, Maryland -- known for its restaurants -- and the menus drive me crazy.  The menus are so fucking pretentious!  And it's so hard these days to get a sandwich/burger on just a basic roll.  I

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I feel like Laura started criticizing everything and acting like a know-it-all the minute she got on board. 

Laura definitely overplayed it.   Perhaps she was trying to show that she was experienced.  Perhaps she is an annoying know it all.   Time will tell.   Either way it was a mistake.   However, Kate should not have bad mouthed her to the staff but that's Kate.   I'm not ready to judge Laura based on a few minutes of her first day on reality TV.   In contrast, after quite a few seasons of watching her, I am very comfortable judging Kate as a smug mean girl.    

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3
On 12/5/2018 at 7:48 AM, ghoulina said:

AMEN! Beards improve 85% of men. He didn't even look like the same person, to me. 

Well, that tells me all I need to know. 

I love and enjoy all of your posts, but I loathe facial hair on men.  In my single dYs back in the 90s,  it was a deal breaker.

I love a clean-shaven man.

• Love 4

Ashton stepped into the bite of the tow line and it pulled him overboard and under.  That's super dangerous, and unlike the guys on Deadliest Catch, I'm guessing they don't have knives on hand to cut themselves loose.  Rhylee did seem like she reacted super quick, from what little we saw, and I'm guessing she's probably one of the best equipped for handling a situation like this.  

I kind of feel like Rhylee is in a bit of a loop because of the whole Chandler thing.  She's had to be on guard, rightfully so, because of the way he (didn't) manage things, and how he treated her.  And now, he's gone, but she's still afraid that she's going to get screwed, so she's acting out, kind of proactively.  I get it, to a point, and I think if this were a more normal job, vs just 4 more charters, it would settle down in a couple of weeks and she and Ross would have a good working relationship.  Since it's not, though, I think the best thing Ross could do would be sit her down and acknowledge that he knows Chandler was a dick, especially to her, and that he SEES her working.  Then, if she could just tell him that she wants to do more, I think they could actually get on the same page.

I don't really want to talk shit about Ashton, because I know he's going to be underwater for the next week, but, he was very clingy this week.  Also, he has weird old man features, almost Popeye-ish to me.  

Adrian- you know how when they suddenly discover that the quiet guy in the neighborhood has a bunch of dead hookers buried in coolers in his basement and the news shows up and all of the neighbors are out on their lawns giving interviews saying "We had no idea! He was so quiet and nice! He always brought our garbage cans back up to the house!"  Yeah, Adrian strikes me as the kind of guy that you'd be like, Huh, yeah, I can see that.  I also would have been pissed if I were the guests and that's what he made when I requested burgers and fries.  I'm fairly adventurous with food, but, and I've given this a lot of thought over the years while watching the show, I'm pretty confident that I'd be an easy guest for breakfast.  I'm not a huge breakfast eater to begin with, so some fruit available to eat when I first got up, maybe some yogurt.  Then a few hours later, a poached egg on toast would be perfect.  That's it.  Pretty much every day, it doesn't need to deviate.  No hollandaise, maybe a piece of sausage one day, but, I'm really pretty easy going with breakfast.  Dinner? You can wow me, but, for breakfast? If I gave those instructions and then came up and had Chef Serial Unicorn give me some sort of special unique masterpiece, he'd end up all butthurt that I wasn't super into it, because really, all I want is a little canteloupe and then an egg.  

• Love 15

I was thinking that the talking heads everybody does are done in post-production and that Ashton did all of his post-accident and he’s as silly and cheerful as ever. What a trooper. It’s a shame we won’t have him around, he has good energy and work ethic. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

I love and enjoy all of your posts, but I loathe facial hair on men.  In my single dYs back in the 90s,  it was a deal breaker.

I love a clean-shaven man.

To be fair, facial hair in the 90s were pretty much scraggly, greasy messes ;) 

49167177-E2A4-4764-9675-7D4759E5B7B7.jpeg

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

Thank you, Sailor Terry.

Were you able to tell if it was the rope from the yacht that pulled him into the water, or the rope from the tender being towed in?

Is either more or less precarious?

Any rope pulling outward is dangerous, even if it's tied at both ends.   I was working at a railing and didn't see someone walk behind me and throw something overboard.  The rope ended up across the back of my thighs and pinned me to the railing rather than taking me overboard, thank god.  The captain saw it and stopped the engines.  We had a little chat with the new person.  I had huge bruises, but thankfully nothing broken.

• Love 9

I liked Adrian in the beginning but he is starting to lose his luster, the way he shut out Caroline was the first crack, I mean I see why he would be aggravated but to just ignore her when they are supposed to be working together is childish. They Rhylee reaction was over the top and now burger and fries thing was just wrong, give them what they ask for if I asked for a burger and got lamb I'd be pissed, lamb is an acquired taste. Plus his flirting/sex talk is just weird. 

Most ropes on boats are called lines, Ashton gets caught up in a line. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, smores said:

Adrian- you know how when they suddenly discover that the quiet guy in the neighborhood has a bunch of dead hookers buried in coolers in his basement and the news shows up and all of the neighbors are out on their lawns giving interviews saying "We had no idea! He was so quiet and nice! He always brought our garbage cans back up to the house!"  Yeah, Adrian strikes me as the kind of guy that you'd be like, Huh, yeah, I can see that.  I also would have been pissed if I were the guests and that's what he made when I requested burgers and fries.  I'm fairly adventurous with food, but, and I've given this a lot of thought over the years while watching the show, I'm pretty confident that I'd be an easy guest for breakfast.  I'm not a huge breakfast eater to begin with, so some fruit available to eat when I first got up, maybe some yogurt.  Then a few hours later, a poached egg on toast would be perfect.  That's it.  Pretty much every day, it doesn't need to deviate.  No hollandaise, maybe a piece of sausage one day, but, I'm really pretty easy going with breakfast.  Dinner? You can wow me, but, for breakfast? If I gave those instructions and then came up and had Chef Serial Unicorn give me some sort of special unique masterpiece, he'd end up all butthurt that I wasn't super into it, because really, all I want is a little canteloupe and then an egg.  

I was in danger of coffee out the nose reading this.  Chef Serial Unicorn...wiping tears from my eyes...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, fifty8th said:

I liked Adrian in the beginning but he is starting to lose his luster

He reminds me of the guy at a party who just got back from India or Nepal, is wearing jewelry from the place, and tells you all about his spiritual journey and impresses his favorite audience, himself.

• Love 24
4 hours ago, fifty8th said:

Most ropes on boats are called lines, Ashton gets caught up in a line. 

True, but you have to think about who is reading what you're writing.  I'd always say line when I'm around boat people.  In a general audience I might use the word rope since it would more directly bring to their minds what I mean.  Similarly, if I say that I'm going out on a cruise, people immediately think pina coladas.  So, with a general audience I make sure to say research cruise.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, smores said:

Adrian- you know how when they suddenly discover that the quiet guy in the neighborhood has a bunch of dead hookers buried in coolers in his basement and the news shows up and all of the neighbors are out on their lawns giving interviews saying "We had no idea! He was so quiet and nice! He always brought our garbage cans back up to the house!"  Yeah, Adrian strikes me as the kind of guy that you'd be like, Huh, yeah, I can see that. 

YES!  This is so spot on.  He's creepy AF to me.

• Love 6
On 12/5/2018 at 8:48 AM, ghoulina said:

Yup. That male dancer shit is so yuck to me. 

I mean, given her behavior, it kind of makes sense. We've seen her show up in a totally see-through outfit. We've seen her acting jealous about girls Ashton hits on at the club. Maybe she just wanted a bit of attention. Ross made her feel desirable, now she's calmed down a bit. 

Agreed. I hated the way Adrian acted all put out by their request. As if he's too talented and sophisticated to make a simple burger with some fries. I get that you have all these concoctions up your sleeve; but, at the end of the day, you're there to deliver what the guests want. 

AMEN! Beards improve 85% of men. He didn't even look like the same person, to me. 

Well, that tells me all I need to know. 

We're at opposite ends on this.  Any facial hair is an immediate turn-off to me.  I can't even eat across from a man with a beard, there always seems to be food stuck in that thing.  Yuck!  The same for back hair and excessive chest hair.  Um...just a no for me.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Honey said:

We're at opposite ends on this.  Any facial hair is an immediate turn-off to me.  I can't even eat across from a man with a beard, there always seems to be food stuck in that thing.  Yuck!  The same for back hair and excessive chest hair.  Um...just a no for me.

Can't help it, I love me a bear. To each his own. 

9f2fbe34ed062ba5324da3e0405ac3a4.jpg

• Love 8
On 12/4/2018 at 7:34 PM, Kdawg82 said:

I did like when the new stu kept trying to bark out her excuse and stu'ing prowess and "this never happened to me ever"- Kate simply said "I have to show you this after what just happened.  YUP! & there you have it folks! WHY Kate is chief. And the way the new stu proceded was like she never saw of heard of that tactic before ..so she didnt *know* did she?! 

One of my favorite scenes of all time.  Kate can dish it out like a boss.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 13
On 12/5/2018 at 7:14 AM, Carolina Girl said:

But didn't you LOVE that the reason she dropped and broke the glasses was that the "napkin wasn't ironed correctly and it had all these bumps."  Oh, genius?  Then why did you put it on the tray?  I have a feeling this is the crew member that drives Kate to the point of telling the captain "either she goes or I go."  

You know, that is right, they've had so many teasers, almost forgotten about that one, maybe it is still to come.  

• Love 3

With Bruno's accident, did they cut the rope?  I remember watching something where they had to cut a rope to free someone and not everyone had their knife on them.  After that they made sure they had their knives at all times.  I just don't remember if it was this show or not.  But even if someone had a knife, would it have helped Ashton since that rope looked really thick to me (I have to watch it to see how thick it was).  If it were super thick would they have been able to cut through it fast enough?  If it were an inch or so thick I'd think they'd be able to slice through it pretty quickly.

• Love 2

The thing that most surprises me about the scene is that there wasn't a nearby life ring (or Rhylee didn't grab it and somebody had to call out for it to be thrown).  I know they're not in the Bering Sea in terms of current and wave height, and there were multiple surrounding boats, but I should think on any boat some life ring or sling would be reasonably close at hand anywhere you'd have deckhands working at the rails.

Chefs are so coddled. Can you imagine a situation where you ask for a ginger ale and Kate brings you a fancy cocktail instead because they're so much more fulfilling to make, and you're supposed to be grateful for the horizon-broadening?  My response to the lamb sliders would have been a polite "Is there no ground beef on board? If I'd known, I would have made a different request."  And they can miss me with "truffle fries" - I've had them 3-4 times and they don't taste like anything.  Maybe I'm missing some taste receptor or something but I just roll my eyes at menus that offer them.

On 12/5/2018 at 3:47 PM, walnutqueen said:

Yikes, indeed.  I don't watch WWHL, but it's hard to imagine Rhylee is even worse than she was on the show.

There was one point where Lee was talking and she interrupted and barreled right over what he was saying and he shot her a look that was NOT "benevolent grandpa."  He had praised her abilities while acknowledging her faults in earlier weeks of the show, but I think the week to week revelations of stuff he didn't see transformed his opinion for the worse.

• Love 6