Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Man Overboard

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Rhylee's mouth looks like she wears dentures. I'm sure she doesn't so maybe it's unfortunate genetics or bad veneers. And she's way too manly looking. I know lots of people think she's hot but I'm just saying.....she looks like she belongs in an olympic curling competition.

When Kate was on WWHL she stated she is "strictly dickly". What was that lesbian relationship all about that she had with some woman who visited Kate on the yacht a couple seasons ago? I think Kate may have been "bisexually confused."  

Kate was asked about her girlfriend and if they were still together. That's when she stated "strictly dickly". 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

she looks like she belongs in an olympic curling competition.

Them's fightin' words, Chenoa!  I LIVE for Olympic curling, and there are quite a few hotties to be found (unlike Wryly, who is not so hot).  ;-)

1 hour ago, Diane Mars said:

I'd KILL to look like I belong in an olympic curling competition ^_^
s-69a41c4920455962fbf25822f9ac2d01d515d3

Moi aussie.   HAAAAAAAAARD!!!!

1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

Rhylee was so obnoxious on WWHL. It dawned on me was that Rhylee either got the world's kindest edit on the show or the Rhylee we saw on Below Deck was Rhylee on her best behavior. Which, yikes!

Yikes, indeed.  I don't watch WWHL, but it's hard to imagine Rhylee is even worse than she was on the show.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

You could read the disappointment on the guests faces when their “comfort food” had been reinterpreted. They’re just too polite to complain, but the only thing that they looked at with enthusiasm were the french fries. I would have been very impolite. I dislike lamb done most ways and would have sent mine back for a beef cheeseburger. If I want Mac and cheese I want ooey gooey, not fancified with the lobster being the predominant flavor. That meal was a fail. Kudos to them for not complaining. 

Sometimes I think Chef Unicorn gets a title too full of himself and his abilities. Gosh forbid a French trained chef do normal. 

The thing is, even if he had made beef cheeseburgers, the meat would've tasted different that what they are used to in North America.  Beef in Australia and the South Pacific atleast tastes more gamey, almost like deer.  Adrian might've known this and gone with lamb, that tastes like, lamb they would be familiar with.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I like Brandi AND I like Rhylee - so not sure what that says about me!

I actually liked them both when they started! I felt horrible for Brandi when the Richards sisters hid her crutches. But I soured on Brandi after a couple of seasons because she started to seem really mean. I was totally on Rhylee’s side with asshole Chandler. After Chandler was fired, I was hoping we were going to see a new Rhylee. After seeing her with Ross as bosun and on WWHL (where, ostensibly, the sting and residual effects of Chandler should be mostly in the past), this was what I was thinking:

giphy.gif

Edited by MrsWitter
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Yikes, indeed.  I don't watch WWHL, but it's hard to imagine Rhylee is even worse than she was on the show.

I only watched last night because I saw Lee, Ross and Rhylee on a promo during the show.  It was worth the effort:)

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, MrsWitter said:

I actually liked them both when they started! I felt horrible for Brandi when the Richards sisters hid her crutches. But I soured on Brandi after a couple of seasons because she started to seem really mean. I was totally on Rhylee’s side with asshole Chandler. After Chandler was fired, I was hoping we were going to see a new Rhylee. After seeing her with Ross as bosun and on WWHL (where, ostensibly, the sting and residual effects of Chandler should be mostly in the past), this was what I was thinking:

giphy.gif

HA!!  This will NEVER get old!  I say it in my head sometimes!

And I can say I saw it live - I used to be a ANTM watcher.

I was disappointed in Rhylee when she was still acting crazy even after Chandler left.  But I figured she was all amped up about how she was feeling, she was still lashing out.  Like someone said above - she is either fine or scortched earth!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Sometimes I think Chef Unicorn gets a title too full of himself and his abilities. Gosh forbid a French trained chef do normal. 

THEY CAN'T ! They're DIVAS ! lol !

#myLife.com #iKnowImarriedOne

• Love 12
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

The thing is, even if he had made beef cheeseburgers, the meat would've tasted different that what they are used to in North America.  Beef in Australia and the South Pacific atleast tastes more gamey, almost like deer.  Adrian might've known this and gone with lamb, that tastes like, lamb they would be familiar with.

And as different as the beef might’ve been, beef and lamb do NOT taste similar, and it can very much be an acquired taste(and smell). My husband is a big meat eater, but he finds lamb gamey tasting. He’d take any cow over a lamb in that situation lol. 

Plus that regional difference in taste could apply to almost everything, so that would mean ignoring all preferences. 

• Love 7

You are all being unintentionally punny - or maybe you realize you're doing it. So far I've seen "jerking us around" (that's what happened to Ashton - literally), "stringing us along," (literally Ashton again), and "Doesn't have a leg to stand on," (Ashton). Ashton's accident is not funny and has been stressing me out since they started teasing it, and it was hard to watch and will be hard to watch again next week. But still, you guys are solid gold.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Because in this case they specifically asked for comfort food and made an even more specific request for burgers and fries. They didn’t appear to need to be pushed and I doubt lamb sliders and stuffed shells pushed anyone out of their comfort zone. 

For lack of a better term I am a foodie who will try anything once and would most likely just give a chef free reign to do whatever he wanted with the guidelines of thinking locally for ingredients and flavor profiles, that being said I sometimes crave a burger and fries and if I ask for a burger and fries that is what I want delivered.

This. Based on their background,  I don't think they are adverse to trying new foods.  They want burgers and fries,  give them burgers and fries. It's not his job to elevate their palate.  They travel all around the world.  Pretty sure their palates are elevated,  douche. 

The new 3rd stew? No. You don't walk in and immediately start criticizing your boss.  Especially after the crew kicked ass, while down 2 crew members and the clients were yacht veterans. 

• Love 12

I am going to lie.  I'm having a great time.  Bwah hahaha.

The real dicks of Below Deck are the editing monkeys.  The accident has me so anxious.  I put off watching the episode until today and was tense the entire time to where I couldn't watch if a rope was shown.  I'm going to watch next week anyway, I don't need a cliff hanger to pull me in, and now I have to deal with the anxiety for another week and it isn't the delicious type of a good drama cliff hanger.  I'm actually worried about a real person.  I know he's okay in real time, but I'm still very nervous for him.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, langford peel said:

So Kate jumped to make it two against one. Again. Inexperienced third stew.....let’s hate her. Former chief stew who takes third stew position to be on TV.....lets hate her.

It doesn’t matter in Kate’s world...it’s always choosing up sides on the playground.

There are quite a few Kate fans around here but I'm not one them.  I didn't get to watch the episode until I got home from work today and I'm barely halfway through the comments but I couldn't wait to add my two cents.    Kate couldn't give Laura a chance.  She had to start cutting her down as soon as she came on board.  Kate may be good at her job but she's a smug mean girl who thinks she's better than everyone else. 

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Laura came on the board cutting them down.

I disagree.   I couldn't see the "stain" but she wasn't wrong about the bed.   It was sloppy work.  I'll admit that she should have been less vocal her first day.    However, Kate should NEVER critique a staff member to another staff member.  That's just management 101.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I agree about a manager not criticizing one staff member to another. However, if Laura didn't like how something was done she should just "fix it" without comment. Particularly on the first day, until she gets a lay of the land (and perhaps can appreciate that they were short-handed.

I agree. That was a mistake.

I think Kate had it in for her as soon as she learned Laura had worked as a chief stew.    Kate's inflated ego won't allow her to accept that anyone could have experience equal to her own. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

HA!!  This will NEVER get old!  I say it in my head sometimes!

And I can say I saw it live - I used to be a ANTM watcher.

I was disappointed in Rhylee when she was still acting crazy even after Chandler left.  But I figured she was all amped up about how she was feeling, she was still lashing out.  Like someone said above - she is either fine or scortched earth!

I know- it really has stood the test of time (for a reality tv meme). I feel like I’m constantly screaming it my head (not out loud- although, there are times when I’ve wanted to!). I was also an original ANTM watcher. I stopped religiously watching after Cycle 8 because I realized I felt bad about myself after the judges critiqued Renee’s 23-year-old aging skin for being “sun damaged” (I was 28 at the time). Did anyone else read the interview Tiffany (the recipient of Tyra’s ire) did last year with BuzzFeed? It was pretty interesting:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblackmon/we-were-rooting-for-you-we-were-all-rooting-for-you

And getting back on topic... I was trying to give Rhylee some leeway because I thought she might have been stuck with some residual Chandler bad vibes (and Ross was sort of a jerk toward Rhylee in the very beginning before he saw Chandler for who he was), but she was a hot mess on WWHL.  I appreciate that she is a hard worker and it is tough to be a woman in the field she’s chosen, but she is just so extra with her attitude that I’m now annoyed by her. 

Edited by MrsWitter
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

Is it possible that this new stew, having been a chief stew herself, will be a good match for Kate's "mean girls" crap?  That might be worth seeing.

It would be if production allowed it.    Apparently, their SOP is Kate being mean to the third stew.   If they do it again with Laura, I'll have to reconsider watching next season.    It's getting old.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Laura came on the board cutting them down.

There's just a better way to convey that your training or experience is slightly different without coming across like an asshole.

"My last chief steward liked us to make the bed with hotel corners, but leaving the duvet folded at the foot. Do you have a preference hospital vs hotel? Or generally how you'd like us to make the beds?"

"I see that this table is stained. Is this something the engineer can fix? Or do we report it to you for your log when the ship needs to go in for reconditioning and just try to hide or minimize it for the remaining charters?"

But instead, Laura came in and said, "Ugh, who made this bed?" She's a rude dumb ass.

26 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

And is already not taking responsibility for her mistakes, blaming the napkin for causing the glasses to fall and complaining when Kate was reminding her the correct way to hold it right after she had just broken a bunch of glasses.

The first words out of her mouth after dropping the glasses were "I must have dropped them because this napkin was lumpy and not ironed well." Girl please. Her technique was bad. Laura seems to be too arrogant to admit her screw ups or learn anything. Kate has been at this so long that there's always something to learn.

Heck, I remember a charter from Below Deck: Med season 1. The guests were going hard on the espresso martinis. Sometime in the early the afternoon,  Hannah told her stews that any other requests for espresso martinis had to be with a slightly different recipe which included decaf coffee because she wasn't trying to have the guests FourLoko drunk and keeping a stew up all night. There is always something to learn. It seems super obvious, but I don't think even a third of the stews who have been on this show and Med would be capable of thinking of that. Amy would. Probably Adrienne too. I don't think Kat would because she likes to get crunk.

1 hour ago, MrsWitter said:

Did anyone else read the interview Tiffany (the recipient of Tyra’s ire) did last year with BuzzFeed? It was pretty interesting:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblackmon/we-were-rooting-for-you-we-were-all-rooting-for-you

I did and it really was worth a read.

• Love 17

Screw the man overboard. I'm boggled that some say they are actually experiencing high anxiety and reaching for xanax over what is essentially an idiotic reality show that we waste our brief time on this planet watching, lol

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 7

I think the Chef should have served both lamb sliders (delicious) and cheeseburger sliders so the guests could have a choice.  I'm not a fan of truffle oil so the fries would have been lost on me.  The lobster mac and cheese didn't look like lobster mac and cheese to me; it looked like lobster stuffed shells which may be how Unicorn presented it.  Didn't hear every word.  I'd do mini lobster rolls and mac and cheese separately but that is just me.

Laura, Laura, Laura.  This is no way to win friends and influence people.  You've been hired to be the third stew; please start acting like it.  I've moved a lot (military) and I can't begin to imagine showing up to a new duty location and start with the attitude.  Get the lay of the land first.  We used to call people like Laura, those who would make her comments as saying "Base X in the other Command...."  Everyone rolls their eyes.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, AnnA said:

I agree. That was a mistake.

I think Kate had it in for her as soon as she learned Laura had worked as a chief stew.    Kate's inflated ego won't allow her to accept that anyone could have experience equal to her own. 

I disagree. She was glad to have someone experienced and at first, on paper, Laura was great. But it’s a very different thing to bring experience and respect for those at a job you JUST started and experience and judgment and criticism for those at a job you JUST started. Laura chose the latter and that would rub most people the wrong way. I’m sure there are plenty here who will defend such behavior and would welcome such an attitude at their own places of employment, though. 

I’m still hoping Laura just came off too strong in her introduction and I look forward to seeing her proving how experienced she is. And maybe less of her just talking about it. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

I don't think that if "man overboard" was shouted through the radio the captain is going to say "what?". Probably just editing?

Captain Lee said he had never had an accident like that bad happen before. he was probably thought he misheard at first.

1 hour ago, 100Proof said:

Screw the man overboard. I'm boggled that some say they are actually experiencing high anxiety and reaching for xanax over what is essentially an idiotic reality show that we waste our brief time on this planet watching, lol

Well, Ashton almost drowned and almost lost his foot, so knowing that, it is anxiety inducing.  I was hoping he would call in on WWHL so we could have an update, last night.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Captain Lee said he had never had an accident like that bad happen before. he was probably thought he misheard at first.

Well, Ashton almost drowned and almost lost his foot, so knowing that, it is anxiety inducing.  I was hoping he would call in on WWHL so we could have an update, last night.

Is there a vid before next week reveal? (or the week after next being its $#@&*** bravo) I'm sorry but these shows.... I don't know how much winds up being tarted up danger drama or what. I'd half expect it turns out it was a practice rescue dummy or maybe Capt Lee's blowup doll

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 5

It was a real accident that happened to a real person. Additionally, some people have a pre-existing fear of water or drowning or boat accidents. No need to demean other posters' feelings about it. 

I have not become desensitized to the clip whatsoever because everything happens so quickly--in seconds his foot is entangled in the ropes and he is pulled underwater with no chance to prepare or take a breath. There is a good chance he immediately inhaled water. He is enmeshed in ropes, underwater, perhaps with his lungs filled with water, for all we know close to moving parts of the boat--it's quite terrifying. When the topic was discussed on WWHL last night, Captain Lee was quite overcome once again, just like we have seen in the "I need a minute clip." It's pretty much any seagoing person's nightmare.

Other WWHL impressions: Rhylee looked lovely but was insufferable. She is apparently incapable of shutting up, just as we have seen on the show.

Ross never got more than two words out. Couldnt tell if he was shy, inarticulate, wary of saying something wrong--could have been any number of things. 

Caroline's "Trojan Horse" call-in was sad. You don't go up against Andy and think you will win. I hope she is able to give up her vendetta now, it's doing her no good.

As far as the episode, well, no shock that those who dislike Kate think she was mean to the new stew and those who dont cast more blame on Laura. Despite some of the hyperbole, Kate is just a human being with strengths and flaws like anyone else. New Deckhand left zero impression on me, but I guess that's a good thing. At least he didnt come in like a know-it-all twat. 

Has there been any kind of official explanation for why Ashton was pulled from WWHL at the last minute?

Edited by bref
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, MrsWitter said:

I was trying to give Rhylee some leeway because I thought she might have been stuck with some residual Chandler bad vibes (and Ross was sort of a jerk toward Rhylee in the very beginning before he saw Chandler for who he was), but she was a hot mess on WWHL.  I appreciate that she is a hard worker and it is tough to be a woman in the field she’s chosen, but she is just so extra with her attitude that I’m now annoyed by her.

Chandler was obviously in way over his head.  He acted like an ass, especially towards Rhylee.  For that, he got fired, had his ass handed to him weekly on national TV, and got read up and down on social media.  On WWHL, Lee and Ross described him as someone who tried his best and had good intentions, but had to go and should have gone sooner.  Lee tried to elaborate on this and Rhylee just talked right over him, interrupted him and dismissed even this very mildly positive assessment.

I feel like Lee has been doing the reality TV thing for so long he knows the freight train that is social media and was trying to defray some of the fall out for Chandler, who I feel and I think Lee feels, paid enough of a price for being a bumbling, foolish ass.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, bref said:

Has there been any kind of official explanation for why Ashton was pulled from WWHL at the last minute?

Bravo is probably trying to milk the last possible drop of drama by holding Ashton back until the episode actually airs.  You know, sometime around Saint Patty's day in March.(I'm of Irish descent, a member of the tribe. I can call him "Patty".)

39 minutes ago, Reality police said:

Cap Lee stated that the camera boat and another follow boat actually got to Ashton first. Those boats are always there as part of production. He made no comments about any injuries. 

Thank you for this bit of info. I always forget about production hovering.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 4

If Ashton had been killed or even seriously injured, there would have been news around the time the season was filmed.

Bravo might have delayed the season in case of injury for a few months.

in the case of death, probably at least a year.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bref said:

Andy tweeted the above to one of the many people who were wondering where Ashton was. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, ninjago said:

Chandler was obviously in way over his head.  He acted like an ass, especially towards Rhylee.  For that, he got fired, had his ass handed to him weekly on national TV, and got read up and down on social media.  On WWHL, Lee and Ross described him as someone who tried his best and had good intentions, but had to go and should have gone sooner.  Lee tried to elaborate on this and Rhylee just talked right over him, interrupted him and dismissed even this very mildly positive assessment.

I feel like Lee has been doing the reality TV thing for so long he knows the freight train that is social media and was trying to defray some of the fall out for Chandler, who I feel and I think Lee feels, paid enough of a price for being a bumbling, foolish ass.

I agree he’s a bumbling, foolish ass, but I also feel there’s something more insidious about him. He’s certainly not on the level of Bryan from BD: Med, but he does have some issues with women. The way he treated Kate (who outranked him and was more experienced)- not following her instructions and insulting her work by calling her a glorified housekeeper- reflects poorly on him. And his refusal to do what was best for the crew and the guests by letting Rhylee take the guests fishing (and letting Ashton get his required sleep) was just petty. 

• Love 16

I never thought Rhylees behavior was caused by Chandler.

Some of it was react8ng to things he did but she has been reacting to other people that way.

It all originates with her.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, scrb said:

If Ashton had been killed or even seriously injured, there would have been news around the time the season was filmed.

Bravo might have delayed the season in case of injury for a few months.

in the case of death, probably at least a year.

This is true.  Logically I know he doesn't get seriously hurt, but it's still cringe inducing knowing that it could have been serious business.  It's kind of like seeing a kid run with scissors - they probably won't get hurt, but I'm still anxious because it could happen.  I think also maybe for me some of the issue might be the possibility of it being really bloody.  When I was a kid my uncle and my cousin were out on my dad's jet skis and my uncle fell off and got run over by my cousin and I still remember him coming out of the water with his forehead hanging off. I can watch videos of guys getting hit in the nuts America's Funniest home Videos style and stuff like that all day long, but like skateboard accidents aren't fun for me.  I can watch gory shows and movies no problem.  But this is real and had the potential to be serious.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, yourmomiseasy said:

When I was a kid my uncle and my cousin were out on my dad's jet skis and my uncle fell off and got run over by my cousin and I still remember him coming out of the water with his forehead hanging off. I can watch videos of guys getting hit in the nuts America's Funniest home Videos style and stuff like that all day long, but like skateboard accidents aren't fun for me.  I can watch gory shows and movies no problem.  But this is real and had the potential to be serious.

Oh my God. I just cringed from your story! I hope your uncle ended up being ok. I anticipate I will also be cringing a lot come Tuesday.

• Love 2

I didn't see the WWHL but I still don't hate Rhylee as much as most of you. It annoys me she can't articulate her point calmly. I didn't understand the waterfall excursion debacle but then I got it upon watching again. Rhylee prepped  a bag with some bug spray and sunblock and ponchos. Then it got left behind and Ross had a kind of blasé attitude about it. She felt like her initiative to get such a bag packed up was not appreciated. He could've handled it differently too like "oh man! I could kick myself! What a great idea and I forgot it! Argh!" But she went off and it was bad communication. I wish she were more together bc I don't like that such a strong worker is allowing herself to be perceived so poorly. 

Edited by Kdawg82
It's BUG spray not "big spray."
  • Love 6
On 12/3/2018 at 1:37 PM, terrymct said:

I think they chose from among the available camera angles to make sure we couldn't guess.

I work on ships and boats of various sizes.  The FIRST THING you learn when deploying something overboard is to keep your feet firmly planted on the deck and shuffle your feet so you can't step into the middle of a turn of rope.   It's the kind of thing that happens when people get really tired and sloppy.   The rope moves quickly and can cut you faster and deeper than you'd ever imagine.  

Thank you for sharing your professional insight.  Do you think on some level Ashton was careless/overtired/at fault?  Not blaming the poor kid, I just don't understand how that could happen to an experienced Deck Hand.

We just got another rotten teaser of the incident at the end of this episode, but I still cringe when I think of the incredibly painful-looking injury Bruno got from the rope burn.  He was just so physically pretty too, with his gorgeous Iberian skin.  I hope it didn't leave a scar.   However, Bruno was clearly inexperienced.  Lee, (Mister Captain Lee - lol Josiah) was an ass for laughing and saying he didn't feel bad for Bruno's injury.

• Love 2
On 12/4/2018 at 4:40 PM, chenoa333 said:

I've got something else to talk about. Did anyone besides me, watch "Unanchored"? If not.....don't bother. IT SUCKS. And I'm not going to follow the rules and oppen a thread for it either.

Hell, I can't even get my customized page to come up anymore and I'm already frustrated having to scroll thru every single TV show just to post on my favorite shows. And yes, I've logged out/in, played with the "on air/off air icons, cleared the cache. It's exhausting!

Anyway, I'm glad Caroline is gone too. Whiney, lazy, dumb ass bitch. Too bad she wasn't the one that went overboard! But I ❤ my Kate! 

I appreciate the heads up on Unanchored.  Watched about 10 min on my TiVo and was bored.  Now I can delete it and cxl my season pass.

I've written to PTV so many times with no response.  Not only is my customized home page gone, but I Have no list of shows!  I have to go to Goovle now for the forum for each show.  Such a pain.  I tried different browsers, 4 different devices.

If you ever figure it out, plmk the fix!

2 minutes ago, PumpkinPK said:

I've written to PTV so many times with no response.

have you posted a bug on the bugs forum? I've gotten very quick response when I've had (minor) problems in the past.

• Love 2
On 12/4/2018 at 9:05 PM, ghoulina said:

They can't keep leaving us hanging with this overboard crap! Stahp! Seriously. I know Ashton didn't die, but enough dragging it out. 

Speaking of Ashton; he's, by far, the cutest dude on the boat, but his swagger is too much. I found him much more attractive when he lost all pretense and was opening up about his life.

I'm with Kate. Already can't stand Laura. She's gorgeous, but she came right on the boat with 6000 opinions. She was just SUCH a know-it-all; but then Kate had to show her how to carry champagne.

Josiah is such a good worker. He knows how to take initiative. Don't ever separate him and Kate.

Ross and Rhylee was eh. Whatever. Let's hope it was a one time, drunken thing.

I can't stand Laura, either.  Soley because of her personality.  I don't think she is gorgeous.  She looks like she needs to wash her hair too.  So greasy, flat and stringy.  She just looks plain to me.

LOVE Josiah and all the crew jokes about his hair not being done had me in stitches.  If this show returns for another season, hope he is part of the crew.

• Love 13
39 minutes ago, PumpkinPK said:

I appreciate the heads up on Unanchored.  Watched about 10 min on my TiVo and was bored.  Now I can delete it and cxl my season pass.

I've written to PTV so many times with no response.  Not only is my customized home page gone, but I Have no list of shows!  I have to go to Goovle now for the forum for each show.  Such a pain.  I tried different browsers, 4 different devices.

If you ever figure it out, plmk the fix!

The site is undergoing an upgrade, you can read more about it here.

• Love 1