Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Man Overboard

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Is anyone appalled  that Ashton is drowning in the water and the crew doesn’t want to go into Emergency mode because they don’t want to upset the guests?

They are standing there whispering doing nothing.  

The camera guy is the one that saves Ashton.

Guests watching every second from the top deck!

Interior crew making cocktails and food! Adrian whispering....near death experience and walking off to the pantry.

Kate saying..........I never had a crew member almost die in front of the guests....more cocktails is the answer!

These people care more about keeping the guests in the dark to get that tip......than saving one of their own!

If Ashton dies.....that is the end of Captain Lee’s career.  

The only job he could  get is driving a ferry full of beach parties barf  in Cozumel! (then, maybe)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Dance4Life said:

Is anyone appalled  that Ashton is drowning in the water and the crew doesn’t want to go into Emergency mode because they don’t want to upset the guests?

That is in no way the impression I got.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That is in no way the impression I got.

I believe this because it was Ashton who was shamed and punished for stepping on the line.

Ashton stayed quiet because he wanted to keep his job.  

This is the culture we live in.  Nobody wants to help anyone if there is nothing in it for them.

If a guest fell overboard.....we will see a completely different scenario.  Then you will see the crew expecting 2 envelopes of money!

At the Reunion.....the camera man will be there. He deserves it.  Camera man doing his job and the crew.

We will probably hear he has some sailing experience....perhaps.

Too much reality Tv and not enough boat crew reality check!

2 hours ago, sadtvjunkie said:

This was a repeat. I hate when they get coded as new stuff. What a waste of time.

I agree.

I recorded it and started watching this morning but shut it off after about 10 minutes.    It just wasn't worth my time.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

I believe this because it was Ashton who was shamed and punished for stepping on the line.

Ashton stayed quiet because he wanted to keep his job.  

This is the culture we live in.  Nobody wants to help anyone if there is nothing in it for them.

If a guest fell overboard.....we will see a completely different scenario.  Then you will see the crew expecting 2 envelopes of money!

At the Reunion.....the camera man will be there. He deserves it.  Camera man doing his job and the crew.

We will probably hear he has some sailing experience....perhaps.

Too much reality Tv and not enough boat crew reality check!

Ashton himself admitted he made a mistake stepping on the line and Capt Lee told him to focus on how lucky he was to still be alive rather than beating himself up about what he did wrong.

After any near-fatal accident in a workplace there would be a meeting to review what was done incorrectly and what should have been done. That meeting was not held to shame Ashton but to remind everyone how important it is to follow proper safety procedures so accidents do not happen. I didn't interpret it any other way.

• Love 17

Aside from a few bits of repeated info (Ashton liking to show off his body, for example), I found the episode interesting, and I learned a bunch of stuff I'd always been curious about, so I didn't find this a waste of time--no more so than watching the show in the first place!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

Ashton himself admitted he made a mistake stepping on the line and Capt Lee told him to focus on how lucky he was to still be alive rather than beating himself up about what he did wrong.

After any near-fatal accident in a workplace there would be a meeting to review what was done incorrectly and what should have been done. That meeting was not held to shame Ashton but to remind everyone how important it is to follow proper safety procedures so accidents do not happen. I didn't interpret it any other way.

Totally!  I am just seeing things from a different point of view because I have been there. Warship mentality.

They failed Readiness. Every single one froze.

Ashton was going to drown.  It was Brent that saved his life.  Not his crew.

You are right.  Good thing Brent saved Ashton’s life, so Captain Lee could give his pep talk.

If it was not for Brent....Captain Lee would be giving a bullshit speech at Ashton’s funeral.

Readiness is the most important thing when working in transportation.....boat, airplane, automobile, train, etc.

Nobody is perfect. Things do not go according to plan.  Expect things to go wrong.  This is why you have a Readiness Plan and nobody is to be hired unless they can execute that plan in their sleep. 

I know people don’t interpret it any other way.  

Most do not go beyond elementary school fire drills. 

Readiness is something most people do not have to think about, because more than a million Americans take care of this for you every single day!

I hope this opened Captain Lee’s eyes and he takes deck training even more seriously. Captain Lee knows he can do his job.

But, can his crew do the job safely???

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Dance4Life said:

Ashton was going to drown.  It was Brent that saved his life.  Not his crew.

According to Captain Lee's blog at the time the episode actually aired, Ross also removed one of the ropes from it's cleat to help save Ashton. It wasn't just Brent though Brent was closest and acted first. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, esco1822 said:

According to Captain Lee's blog at the time the episode actually aired, Ross also removed one of the ropes from it's cleat to help save Ashton. It wasn't just Brent though Brent was closest and acted first. 

Yeah the only person who appeared to freeze was Rhylee. Even Josiah and Kate who were in the galley got out there pretty quickly. 

Once I realized this was just like the “social editions” of othet shows that they do. 

One thing I had forgotten was the chicken is for poor people happened the night after Ashton’s accident which makes it even worse in my opinion. I mean it’s bad on it’s own but the fact that it happened so shortly after you saw someone almost drown is an extra level of self involvement.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Yeah the only person who appeared to freeze was Rhylee...

Rhylee was the only one who said "man overboard" on the radio, and that turning her back to the rear of the boat... In the meantime, Brent and Ross took in charge.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

Rhylee was the only one who said "man overboard" on the radio, and that turning her back to the rear of the boat... In the meantime, Brent and Ross took in charge.

But even then she didn’t follow protocol by repeating it again and didn’t confirm for the Captain.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

But even then she didn’t follow protocol by repeating it again and didn’t confirm for the Captain.

At least, she said it, and was the only one ;) (so, int that case, she half-followed the protocol and the other, no at all. Agree : I'm nitpicking :) It's time for me to GO TO SLEEP, as it's 00:31AM here)

• Love 2

If Rhylee had not said Man overboard Ashton would have died because Lee would not have taken the boat out of gear, and Lee said in his blog and interviews at some point, yes she did not confirm it and that was wrong but I believe that was because she was onto whatever her next step was. I know people say she froze but I saw her asking for a life ring and preparing to jump in (starting to remove her radio and talking about getting in the water.)

• Love 3

Rhylee was the only one who actually saw it as it happened (besides Brent).  The problem was that Rhylee didn't 'get' that Ashton didn't need a life ring.  He needed the line to be undone or cut.  Rhylee failed miserably during that situation.  She needed to speak up on the radio and go into action.  Thankfully Brent knew what to do before the others were able to get there (because it probably would have been too late.  Ross was second and maybe it would have turned out ok).

In any event, I enjoyed the episode.  I like getting a peek into production and what goes on behind the scenes.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

The problem was that Rhylee didn't 'get' that Ashton didn't need a life ring.  He needed the line to be undone or cut.  Rhylee failed miserably during that situation

Not mention her radio is attached to her she could have been active and radio the call at the same time.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, sadtvjunkie said:

This was a repeat. I hate when they get coded as new stuff. What a waste of time.

I like the info we didn't know about and have been wondering about.

4 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

it's 00:31AM here)

31 minutes past midnight?

10 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Aside from a few bits of repeated info (Ashton liking to show off his body, for example), I found the episode interesting, and I learned a bunch of stuff I'd always been curious about, so I didn't find this a waste of time--no more so than watching the show in the first place!

I was fascinated by the info.  I didn't know they keep a boat behind them and the tv crew eat from that boat and stay at hotels etc.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

1.  Before Rhylee calls Man Overboard on the radio, we hear another voice saying it.  I think Brent called out Man Overboard which acted as a prompt for Rhylee to radio it.  I think, if I'm right, Brent gets ever more credit.  

2. Capt. Lee's reflection on how lucky they were is because he knows, and they all came to know, how close they came to being in a timeline with dismemberment or fatality.  It's like peering over the edge of this reality into the abyss beyond this one and into another very real reality, one that had become closer and we almost veered into.  To me this was so riveting because of these glimpses of the strands of our reality.,  How's that for reality television?  Rhylee said she couldn't sleep for 3 nights as the events and I suppose outcomes, played over and over in her mind...to me shows the frailty of life that she saw and the serious impact.   Then the outpouring of love and care for Ashton cemented this as one of the greatest episodes.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, jumper sage said:

31 minutes past midnight?

Yes :) And now, it's 12.00PM, February 5th (I live in Switzerland, CET)

ETA : And if anyone knows where I can find this ep in a watchable quality, because I didn't find it yet ':(

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 1
On 2/3/2019 at 11:58 PM, Dance4Life said:

They are standing there whispering doing nothing.  

The camera guy is the one that saves Ashton.

Guests watching every second from the top deck!

Interior crew making cocktails and food! Adrian whispering....near death experience and walking off to the pantry.

Kate saying..........I never had a crew member almost die in front of the guests....more cocktails is the answer!

These people care more about keeping the guests in the dark to get that tip......than saving one of their own!

If Ashton dies.....that is the end of Captain Lee’s career.  

The only job he could  get is driving a ferry full of beach parties barf  in Cozumel! (then, maybe)

This pissed me off when the show first aired and even more last night.  The crew on any working vessel should be drilled as to what to do in an emergency.  Drilled until it's second nature, where you act rather than freeze.  It was nice to see that Rhylee said she wished she'd called out Man Overboard three times like you're supposed to, but that's the damn minimum.   Everyone has a role when someone goes overboard.  Calling out loudly and forcefully.  Continually pointing at the person in the water so that everyone knows where he/she is.  Taking action.  Ashton was lucky the cameraman had some sense.  I was also appalled at Captain Lee.  He felt bad that they could have lost Ashton and he would have had to call his family.  Where was his outrage at how his crew reacted?  This is a boat with guests on board.  They should be drilled as to what to do in the case of someone going overboard, in the case of fire, and what to do if they have to abandon ship.  There should be clearly defined and well understood roles for everyone, from responding to the situation (such as fighting the fire) and corralling the guests in a safe place.  I've worked on boats for years.  It's standard protocol.  The crew of this boat didn't know what to do.  That's Captain Lee's fault.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, terrymct said:

This pissed me off when the show first aired and even more last night.  The crew on any working vessel should be drilled as to what to do in an emergency.  Drilled until it's second nature, where you act rather than freeze.  It was nice to see that Rhylee said she wished she'd called out Man Overboard three times like you're supposed to, but that's the damn minimum.   Everyone has a role when someone goes overboard.  Calling out loudly and forcefully.  Continually pointing at the person in the water so that everyone knows where he/she is.  Taking action.  Ashton was lucky the cameraman had some sense.  I was also appalled at Captain Lee.  He felt bad that they could have lost Ashton and he would have had to call his family.  Where was his outrage at how his crew reacted?  This is a boat with guests on board.  They should be drilled as to what to do in the case of someone going overboard, in the case of fire, and what to do if they have to abandon ship.  There should be clearly defined and well understood roles for everyone, from responding to the situation (such as fighting the fire) and corralling the guests in a safe place.  I've worked on boats for years.  It's standard protocol.  The crew of this boat didn't know what to do.  That's Captain Lee's fault.

🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

I didn’t see it, but I wonder if Lee even radio other vessels about MOB. I didn’t hear the alarm.  If they even use one.  You know, they are not allowed to disturb the guests.  Rhylee calling MOB one time only was strange.  Everything on a boat is called, 3 times.

Indeed, ‘Big Boat People’ are watching this show and going.....WTF??

Once upon a time they made fun  of us.....but, now what?

Your ENTIRE crew FROZE during MOB.

This is why we are taking it so seriously.

A kid almost drown on your watch.

You have been demoted to Cap’n Crunch!

Here is what Lee and Taylor (creator) have to say about their vision for BD.

“The producers of the show wanted to show the long hours and the stress of yachting, but most of that was caused by the crew being inept,” Capt. Lee Rosbach said. 

“On a 50m charter boat, they were all way over their heads. A couple of them tried really hard and they might have made good entry-level crew. I’m worried people will think this is what happens on a 50m charter yacht.

“But it’s TV,” he said. “You can put as much lipstick on it as you want and you can call it a reality show, but it’s entertainment. It’s not made in a documentary fashion to reflect what it’s really like. 

Why everyone takes it so seriously is beyond me.”

Co-Executive Producer, Taylor said she wanted the show to be as authentic as possible, and that includes the good, the bad and the ugly.

“People on big boats might look at this and say ‘who are these kids? They don’t have enough experience to be on this boat’,” she said.

“But that fish-out-of-water element was massively important to me.

It’s the middle of summer with guests on board and you’re working all the time. Sometimes, you don’t have time to hire who you want and you get a newbie who’s in over her head. It does happen.”

• Love 1

Capt Lee has said all cast get trained on boat safety and get 'signed in'to the yacht log.  He said in early seasons Bravo/producers showed some of the training, but they haven't in recent years.  So this year's cast was trained, though imo not particularly good with their response.  Rhylee, imo, froze up....which I think Capt. Lee alluded to...that you never know how you will respond when the emergency happens.  Another thing Capt. Lee said was that he has never before had a Man Overboard in his career.  He appropriately got out of gear, and said he was not updated on Ashton's position or else he would have put the ship into reverse to release/minimize the tension of the tow line.  I believe him.

You probably saw Kate get a life preserver and run out, and I think Josiah did something as well.  There was a problem, if any with Rhylee and Ross (who was above but in the rear of the yacht. as I recall.)  For that matter, I think later I saw Tyler (who wasn't apparently near) with a life preserver.   But overall, the correct action was 1) informing the Captain and 2) loosening the bridal lines from the two cleats.  With Brent the cameraman doing the starboard one, Ross loosened the port one, so credit to him for that.

Overall, I am not as harsh on the crew as the two posters above.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, terrymct said:

Exactly.  i know these things just by watching Deadliest Catch, and having seen several safety drills and a couple of 'man overboard' situations on that show.  What I saw on Below Deck was horrific (especially the self proclaimed Alaskan fishing boat captain who practically whispered "Man Overboard" ONCE and stepped on the lines herself during the incident).

Everyone - including the pampered guests, should have safety drills.  The crew should have them so often that they respond appropriately and automatically in ANY emergency situation.

• Love 6

I noticed that on this episode, Lee expressed frustration, to put it kindly, that Rhylee didn't say "Man Overboard" loudly or repeatedly.

But on the Reunion, they said her saying "Man Overboard" was very important because Lee cut the motors or else they wouldn't have been able to give enough slack to the rope before it ripped off Ashton's foot.

Seems like they just wanted to end the season with the "best crew ever!" theme.

• Love 2

Actually, Capt Lee is repeating something he has said before, that she said MO once but she said it in a way he could hear it (over the radio).  In that earlier interview, he said if he hadn't heard it, Ashton would have been a goner, and gave props to Rhylee for saying it at all, basically thankful that he could hear it.  He was pointing out the fact her saying it once (over the radio) was more important than the fault of not saying it 3 times.

• Love 3