Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: The Tree of Strife

Dede’s husband, Jerry, comes to town to bequeath her possessions to the family. Mitch and Claire receive a little more of Dede than they really know what to do with, and Jay and Gloria feel sorry for Jerry and invite him to stay with them while he is in town.

Airdate: December 5, 2018

I did laugh a little with Haley and the doll, like when she was like “a real baby will let you know if it’s on fire” but then I get reminded that Haley isn’t as young as this line makes her sound. The way Haley was acting made it seem like her character was much younger than she is and that reinforces my point that because they’ve put her back in her relationship with Dylan has really regressed her.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I did laugh a little with Haley and the doll, like when she was like “a real baby will let you know if it’s on fire” but then I get reminded that Haley isn’t as young as this line makes her sound.

I think that's word for word the same line - or at least very close to the line - Niles used when he burned his "flour child" on Frasier.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I think that's word for word the same line - or at least very close to the line - Niles used when he burned his "flour child" on Frasier.

Was it odd for an adult to be reacting like that like it was on this show?

But seriously all of Haley’s reactions to this baby doll and reacting to it like a real baby were stuff I would have expected a couple seasons ago. It’s funny for a second but then it stops being cute and funny. She really was growing and maturing and now she doesn’t seem to be at all.

• Love 4

More of that Haley and Luke mutually supportive relationship. It's so much fun and contracts well with some of the other snarkier relationships on the show.

Phil and Claire in the car were fun too. I'm glad they resolved everything through a simple talk, and not a series of missunderstandings.

"That's my wife's you're talking to" 

Heh

Ed Begley Jr works well with Ed O'Neill

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 8

I really cant imagine Mitchel ever doing well on a farm. But, he did bond with that chicken Cam got one time, so who knows? Forshadowing? 

Haley and the baby doll were pretty funny, but Haley is acting way younger than her age, again. I mean, thats an issue with all the kids on this show, but Haley is about to have an actual child herself. It was nice seeing Alex and Luke supporting her, even if they were shocked. 

Why do people on TV never keep their eyes on the damn road?!?

Mitchel getting tuck in the hole, and Pam's kid doing a Lassie routine was pretty hilarious.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Was it odd for an adult to be reacting like that like it was on this show?

Hmm... If my memory serves me correctly, Niles was trying to decide if he was ready to be a father. Taking care of the bag of flour was suggested to him because it's something teenagers do in school to show them how hard it is. So it was brought up that the exercise is for teens, but the oddness of it was really Niles getting waaaay to into it.

Mitch's attempt to plant the tree was much like my experience. Luckily when I fell in the hole, the tree didn't come with me!

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

How old is Pam's kid supposed to be?

I'm not sure but I feel like we'll be seeing his high school graduation before the end of the season!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Hmm... If my memory serves me correctly, Niles was trying to decide if he was ready to be a father. Taking care of the bag of flour was suggested to him because it's something teenagers do in school to show them how hard it is. So it was brought up that the exercise is for teens, but the oddness of it was really Niles getting waaaay to into it.

Mitch's attempt to plant the tree was much like my experience. Luckily when I fell in the hole, the tree didn't come with me!

I'm not sure but I feel like we'll be seeing his high school graduation before the end of the season!

I know the flour thing, my school did it. I did it. I don’t know. For me it just reinforces that they are retconning Haley to seasons ago and it stops being funny.

• Love 2

Listen: I don't give a damn about some stupid doll. But a kid? It's way more motivating if it's a real kid. I am disappointed about the pregnancy story, but I don't think your ability to pay attention to a doll is really an indication of how you'd be with a child. They did show her and Dylan being terrific babysitters a few seasons ago. I considered that foreshadowing at the time. I think she's freaking out, and that's making her distracted and panicky. Of course, I'm of the opinion that if you don't really want a kid, you should get an abortion. But I don't think this show would ever go that route. I liked how she snapped out of her funk and handled Alex and Luke when they were fighting, and I liked how Alex and Luke pulled it together when it became important.

I liked the other 3 stories this week, as well.

• Love 7

I love Phil. He's the best. Claire is so quick to crap on everything, like keeping the car, and Phil sees the positive side of things and is always ready to have fun. And even though Cam can get his feelings hurt a littl too easily, I think he would be a lot of fun to hang out with.

I could've done without the Egg Bagels Jr. character. That storyline added nothing.

I wanted to feel for Haley because she's scared about having a baby and scared that she won't be a good mother. They were making as if it were a baby having a baby but it wasn't sweet or cute because you realize how old Haley is. By my count she's about 24 or 25 years old. It's not like she's a teenager. And let me reiterate, I really really really don't like her with Dylan. I have never liked Dylan.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I love Phil. He's the best. Claire is so quick to crap on everything, like keeping the car, and Phil sees the positive side of things and is always ready to have fun. And even though Cam can get his feelings hurt a littl too easily, I think he would be a lot of fun to hang out with.

I could've done without the Egg Bagels Jr. character. That storyline added nothing.

I wanted to feel for Haley because she's scared about having a baby and scared that she won't be a good mother. They were making as if it were a baby having a baby but it wasn't sweet or cute because you realize how old Haley is. By my count she's about 24 or 25 years old. It's not like she's a teenager. And let me reiterate, I really really really don't like her with Dylan. I have never liked Dylan.

Consign this Times a hundred. I don’t get the Dylan love. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

I'd be more than happy to have Cam go back to that fucking farm in Missouri right now.  He is exhausting.

So is Mitchell.

I know it’s been talked about before but sometimes it seems like Cam and Mitch don’t even like each other very much. Most of their episode plots revolve around one doing something the other one doesn’t like.

Jay and Gloria seem to enjoy each other more often than not. And even though Claire’s a Debbie downer a lot of the time, I’ve seen good moments with her and Phil. Mitch and Cam its like a rinse and repeat of them getting mad about something. 

• Love 9

I was watching a season 1 episode on USA network the other day and Gloria had many different notes then. Now she's just a one note character - she's always yelling and she is always upset with Jay.

• Love 5

I like that what Haley is freaking out about is being a *good* parent. Not that she's going to get fat or that she can't go out anymore but that she's going to do a good job caring for her baby. And I'm overlooking the younger behavior because she's not only worried and scared but now has first trimester hormones chugging through her system and those are a doozy!

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I like that what Haley is freaking out about is being a *good* parent. Not that she's going to get fat or that she can't go out anymore but that she's going to do a good job caring for her baby. And I'm overlooking the younger behavior because she's not only worried and scared but now has first trimester hormones chugging through her system and those are a doozy!

I wouldn’t be surprised if she starts worrying about the two other things later on this season. She still has many people in the family to tell and time to freak out.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I did laugh a little with Haley and the doll, like when she was like “a real baby will let you know if it’s on fire” but then I get reminded that Haley isn’t as young as this line makes her sound. The way Haley was acting made it seem like her character was much younger than she is and that reinforces my point that because they’ve put her back in her relationship with Dylan has really regressed her.

9 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Haley is acting like someone 10 years younger.  Not to mention, she has been around the babies in the family and has done babysitting for them.  Even though she has been portrayed as immature and not too bright, this just goes too far.  What could be interesting instead is for her to step up and grow up a little.

8 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I'd be more than happy to have Cam go back to that fucking farm in Missouri right now.  He is exhausting.

Cam is so unbelievably tiresome.  It is definitely time to send him to that fucking farm!  Everything is about him and his delicate feelings, with Mitchell tiptoeing around to keep from upsetting the big baby.  I've never seen what keeps them together.

1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Did anyone else think Gloria was acting like a total bitch when she destroyed Jay’s cell phone?

1 hour ago, Aryanna said:

I was watching a season 1 episode on USA network the other day and Gloria had many different notes then. Now she's just a one note character - she's always yelling and she is always upset with Jay.

They have turned Gloria into a shrew.  It's unpleasant and not even vaguely funny.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Is it bad I'm hoping for a Very Special Episode where Haley miscarries? This was the first time I've watched the show this season and I can't believe they went the baby route with Haley. Especially with Dylan. I felt like I was watching Season 1 Haley again. Gloria's pregnancy worked at the time. Haley's pregnancy is a lazy story line, although the entire show has been a lazy story line for a bit.

I don't think I'll be tuning in for the rest of the season now.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

So is Mitchell.

Cam is far worse. I can come up with a long list of episodes that revolves around him being super insecure or being upset about not being the center of attention. Cam is the source of needless drama most all the time. The last two episodes had Cam blaming Mitch for something. Heck, Mitch can seemingly only get fun and enjoyable plots when he's around other family members (like Phil at the gay bar) instead of when he's with Cam.

18 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I know it’s been talked about before but sometimes it seems like Cam and Mitch don’t even like each other very much. Most of their episode plots revolve around one doing something the other one doesn’t like.

They've stopped being a compatible couple since season 2, and I'm ready for Mitch to leave Cam. And this farm drama just has me shaking my head. Cam knows for a fact that Mitch hates farm life (side note: that last episode of Mitch liking the chicken and learning to like farm felt like a retcon, which clearly is now being treated as such) and I think Cam is a really crappy husband for wanting to upend everything and make everyone's life worse.

Edited by quangtran
  • Love 14
41 minutes ago, quangtran said:

Cam is far worse. I can come up with a long list of episodes that revolves around him super insecure or being upset about not being the entre of attention. Cam is the souce of needless drama most of the time. Heck, the last two episodes were because Cam blaming Mitch. Heck, Mitch can seeminly only get fun and enjoyale plots when he's around ther family members (like Phil in the gay bar) instead of when he's with Cam.

They've stopped being a compatible couple since season 2, and I'm ready for Mitch to leave Cam. And this farm drama just has me shaking my head. Cam knows for a fact that Mitch hates farm life (side note: that last episode  of Mitch liking the chicken and learning to like farm felt like a retcon, which clearly is being treated as such) and I think Cam is a realy crappy husband for wanting to upend everything and make everyone's life worse.

I always remember the episode with Mitchell planning Cam's "10th" birthday party.  Cam wouldn't even believe that an elaborate party had been planned and changed to spare his feelings about tornadoes.  He could not have acted like a bigger asshole!  It's time for them to break up.  After all, neither have the slightest interest in Lily any more, so it wouldn't matter to her.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, quangtran said:

I think Cam is a realy crappy husband for wanting to upend everything and make everyone's life worse.

He is and considering they met in LA he shouldn't expect Mitchell to move to the midwest if this isn't something he wants.

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Of course, I'm of the opinion that if you don't really want a kid, you should get an abortion.

I like Haley and Dylan and while I think they're old enough chronologically to have a baby, given the way she's acting she should have an abortion.  She needs to move out of her parents house and in with Dylan, get used to being back together and maybe get married and then have a baby that's planned.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

Did anyone else think Gloria was acting like a total bitch when she destroyed Jay’s cell phone?

The problem with that in the last 10 years HOW MANY of her relatives have either screwed both her, Jay and Manny and even Joe over. Or have either stolen from them, over stayed their welcome, ect. At what point does Gloria just say: "Stay the hell away from me!" "You either make my family crazy or you steal from me! Never come over again!" Plus, Gloria seems to like just breaking expensive things. I mean, how many times until Jay used a secret camera that she destroyed all these remotes because she can't get them to turn on or check the batteries? Gloria's reaction is always to break things when she is proven wrong or upset.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, quangtran said:

Cam is far worse. I can come up with a long list of episodes that revolves around him super insecure or being upset about not being the center of attention. Cam is the source of needless drama most of the time. The last two episodes had Cam blaming Mitch for something. Heck, Mitch can seemingly only get fun and enjoyable plots when he's around other family members (like Phil at the gay bar) instead of when he's with Cam.

They've stopped being a compatible couple since season 2, and I'm ready for Mitch to leave Cam. And this farm drama just has me shaking my head. Cam knows for a fact that Mitch hates farm life (side note: that last episode of Mitch liking the chicken and learning to like farm felt like a retcon, which clearly is now being treated as such) and I think Cam is a really crappy husband for wanting to upend everything and make everyone's life worse.

Yes to all of this.  Mitch isn't a darling himself, but 99.99999% of the conflicts between him and Cam are started by Cam and are due to Cam's awfulness.

• Love 9

I almost forgot, I did like Mitchell's comment on getting the jewelry – he has a middle school girl at home, and his daughter might like it, too.

(Why he'd want to be married to a grown man who acts like a middle school girl I can't understand.)

• Love 5

I get looking at the fact that Haley's 24-25 and thinking she should be old enough to have a baby without acting like this about it...but I also don't. Like, I know people who have intentionally had children at 24, but as someone who is currently 24, I know I am nowhere near ready to have a baby. Should I learn that I was going to, I would absolutely be freaked out about it. I've always liked kids, liked and been good at babysitting, and I'd at least like to imagine that I'm more mature than Haley is, but actually having a baby would be so, so much. Between that and the previously mentioned hormones, I don't see this as going too far at all.

I would like to see her work on maturing before the baby is born, and I think she can both be really freaked out and overwhelmed now and also grow as she moves past that. What I think she needs to do right now is what she started doing at the end of the episode: let other people in and let them support her. Before, Dylan was the only person she had for support about this, and while I do like Dylan, I can see him not being the best at it.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Ikki said:

I get looking at the fact that Haley's 24-25 and thinking she should be old enough to have a baby without acting like this about it...but I also don't. Like, I know people who have intentionally had children at 24, but as someone who is currently 24, I know I am nowhere near ready to have a baby. Should I learn that I was going to, I would absolutely be freaked out about it. I've always liked kids, liked and been good at babysitting, and I'd at least like to imagine that I'm more mature than Haley is, but actually having a baby would be so, so much. Between that and the previously mentioned hormones, I don't see this as going too far at all.

I would like to see her work on maturing before the baby is born, and I think she can both be really freaked out and overwhelmed now and also grow as she moves past that. What I think she needs to do right now is what she started doing at the end of the episode: let other people in and let them support her. Before, Dylan was the only person she had for support about this, and while I do like Dylan, I can see him not being the best at it.

You make good points. And I think that if someone got pregnant without meaning to and wasn't expecting to at that point in their life that they would freak out. But the show is treating her freakout more as someone getting pregnant in high school rather than someone who's 25. And like you said, she needs to mature. And I think she was maturing a bit in the past couple of seasons but now that they've put her back with Dylan she's taken several huge steps back from maturity.

There are times during the series when you thought, Oh Haley's getting it together. Like her job etc. But those things are only there when it's convenient. Kinda like how Lilly disappears when it's convenient for the plot. As funny as this show can be, it sucks at story arcs and character arcs. They'll mention something about a character or show something to never be seen or heard again.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I loved that Jay turned the hot water off to get rid of Gloria's relatives. It's so delightfully Jay. 

I had to wonder about that.  Does the guest bathroom have a water heater of its own?  If Jay turned off the water heater, wouldn't he and the rest of his family have to take cold showers as well?

• Love 3
Just now, deSchenke said:

I had to wonder about that.  Does the guest bathroom have a water heater of its own?  If Jay turned off the water heater, wouldn't he and the rest of his family have to take cold showers as well?

I'll bet, being Jay, he might have demand water heaters which localize at the source. I've now thought way too much about this. 

• Love 4

I can't imagine Mitch ever living on a farm. 

And mentioned before, how old is that kid now of Pam's supposed to be?  He aged like 4 years overnight. 

I have always found Cam to be selfish and annoying.  EVERYTHING is about him. 

Gloria is almost as bad.  Both of them, even when they are wrong about things, turn everything around and blame their spouse somehow, and demand that they 'apologize' for it.  Its quite manipulative and in a way abusive the way they do this often.  But Cam is much worse. 

I can understand Haley acting how she does even though she is 24 or 25.  Doesn't matter how old you are, an unplanned pregnancy is, especially for an unmarried woman having her first child, literally about the most life changing event one can face.  She is bound to be scared and upset and unsure about many things.  Not only is she unmarried but the dad is someone she has always been back together with a short time. 

And I am just glad they finally gave her a serious storyline that involves more than just joking about her love of fashion or superficial nature focusing on her looks. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 6
41 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And mentioned before, how old is that kid now of Pam's supposed to be?  He aged like 4 years overnight. 

Gloria is almost as bad.  Both of them, even when they are wrong about things, turn everything around and blame their spouse somehow, and demand that they 'apologize' for it.  Its quite manipulative and in a way abusive the way they do this often.  But Cam is much worse. 

Problem with both Cam and Gloria is they either expect their spouses to change to their views. I mean, Cam has been on about the farm and after the crap last season that he found out about his father. You would think that Cam would let the farm just burn to the ground. Now, he has been on it and: "when dad dies, we need to keep it in the family." Then with Gloria, as I mentioned, how many times have we seen her relatives either steal from her and Jay or over stayed their welcome to even Manny was running away from the house when they came to visit. How much do you need to be beaten over the head that they take advantage of you and Jay hates it when they invade their house and always leave it worst or always cause an argument between him and Gloria. Let Cam's answer is to always guilt Mitch and Gloria is to yell, break something or put herself in such a bad situation that even Joe is saying: "Mom, why don't you just admit you made a mistake?" 

There is being stubborn and prideful and then there is being plain stupid like Cam and Gloria act.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Anastasia Beaverha said:

I think at this point I’m just hate watching Cam.  Has a more selfish and oblivious jerk ever been created?  But I blame lazy writers who do the same joke with the characters over and over again. 

Modern Family is not immune to these problems that have been going on with TV series since the 70s. You can only take a character on their "bad traits" so long before you just hate the character. You don't want to blame the actor, but there comes a point where it's worrying about being fired to: "I hate play this character." You can tell it with the actress who plays Lilly, as for Manny, since the character has become so bad. Luckily the actor is away at school, so it works out with less Manny and almost no plots revolving around him. However, you then have the character show up where you want to go: "How are you not dead or how can you be that dense about things?" While you once and a while have Gloria jumping in with: "My poor baby." Even she is tired of his theatre/singing/stupidy to the point she could give a shit. What does that spell out to you, while it is important to you, no one else care. Even better, they never tell Manny to stop doing the things he loves, but they have spelled it out: "We don't care." Better than: "I have to change you for the 1000th time like Cam with Mitch or Gloria with Jay, or even Phil/Claire with Haley." Eventually you have to go: "They don't care, that's never going to change and I have to move on." Instead of once again: "We need to go to the farm, even though you hate that life and I hated my father last year." "Stop hating my relatives who fuck us over all the time." "Haley would you be serious about things, but I need to then give into you." Comes a point, where the TV audience is just: "Divorce or kick them out!"

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can understand Haley acting how she does even though she is 24 or 25.  Doesn't matter how old you are, an unplanned pregnancy is, especially for an unmarried woman having her first child, literally about the most life changing event one can face.  She is bound to be scared and upset and unsure about many things.  Not only is she unmarried but the dad is someone she has always been back together with a short time. 

And I am just glad they finally gave her a serious storyline that involves more than just joking about her love of fashion or superficial nature focusing on her looks. 

1 hour ago, readster said:

Problem with both Cam and Gloria is they either expect their spouses to change to their views. I mean, Cam has been on about the farm and after the crap last season that he found out about his father. You would think that Cam would let the farm just burn to the ground. Now, he has been on it and: "when dad dies, we need to keep it in the family." Then with Gloria, as I mentioned, how many times have we seen her relatives either steal from her and Jay or over stayed their welcome to even Manny was running away from the house when they came to visit. How much do you need to be beaten over the head that they take advantage of you and Jay hates it when they invade their house and always leave it worst or always cause an argument between him and Gloria. Let Cam's answer is to always guilt Mitch and Gloria is to yell, break something or put herself in such a bad situation that even Joe is saying: "Mom, why don't you just admit you made a mistake?" 

There is being stubborn and prideful and then there is being plain stupid like Cam and Gloria act.

I used to like Gloria but she was so horrible this episode.  She was the one in the wrong as Jay’s text proved but she destroys his phone and then demands an apology from him?  Her bad behavior is often excused by “look at how hot she is”.    I really do not know what Cam brings to the table. I used to think in addition to the coaching he was the main caretaker of the house and Lily but now I am not so sure.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I used to like Gloria but she was so horrible this episode.  She was the one in the wrong as Jay’s text proved but she destroys his phone and then demands an apology from him?  Her bad behavior is often excused by “look at how hot she is”.    I really do not know what Cam brings to the table. I used to think in addition to the coaching he was the main caretaker of the house and Lily but now I am not so sure.

That's exactly it! Gloria wants an apology because she doesn't want to admit she is wrong even when she is shown point blank she is at fault. "Jill Taylor Syndrome" based on Patricia Richardson's character on Home Improvement. Jill was constantly shown to jump to conclusions or be in the wrong, yet she always had to guilt Tim and everyone else into her view and have them apologize when she was in the wrong. No matter what happened Jill never admitted it was their fault, like here with Gloria. She still has to be "right" even though she has been hit over the head she is in the wrong and her situation is always to break something when she doesn't get her way like a 5 year old.

With Cam it's the worst because he basically does a: "Well, I did everything you wanted and I'm going to complain how stupid it was, now do it for me and if you admit it's stupid, I will get pissed because you still hate it, but I'm always right!"

• Love 3
5 hours ago, readster said:

That's exactly it! Gloria wants an apology because she doesn't want to admit she is wrong even when she is shown point blank she is at fault. "Jill Taylor Syndrome" based on Patricia Richardson's character on Home Improvement. Jill was constantly shown to jump to conclusions or be in the wrong, yet she always had to guilt Tim and everyone else into her view and have them apologize when she was in the wrong. No matter what happened Jill never admitted it was their fault, like here with Gloria. She still has to be "right" even though she has been hit over the head she is in the wrong and her situation is always to break something when she doesn't get her way like a 5 year old.

With Cam it's the worst because he basically does a: "Well, I did everything you wanted and I'm going to complain how stupid it was, now do it for me and if you admit it's stupid, I will get pissed because you still hate it, but I'm always right!"

I think I have disliked Cam since he manipulated Mitch with those stupid soap carvings that were the topper of their wedding cake. It was all so unnecessary and a jerky thing to do to your husband.

• Love 3

My dislike of Cam began way back when Mitch surprised him with the flashmob. Mitch was just adorable, putting in the effort, going out of his comfort zone, and saying it was his "love letter to Cam." In response, Cam flipped out and accused Mitch of "cheating on him with choreography." What a whiny, impossible to please diva. And he's only gotten worse as they years have gone by.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

My dislike of Cam began way back when Mitch surprised him with the flashmob. Mitch was just adorable, putting in the effort, going out of his comfort zone, and saying it was his "love letter to Cam." In response, Cam flipped out and accused Mitch of "cheating on him with choreography." What a whiny, impossible to please diva. And he's only gotten worse as they years have gone by.

Right and they can hammer in Cam being dumped on by the school he works for. However, he has constantly been given things and then shown it was a monkey paws, but yet still has his job. Mitch however has lost job after job after job in ways that boggle the mind. He put it perfectly: "I haven't been with the DA's office long and I like to finally put some roots down." The writers basically saying: "Yeah, we can't find any excuses for him to lose his job AGAIN, but let Cam's whining continue."

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, readster said:

Mitch however has lost job after job after job in ways that boggle the mind.

He has quit most of them. 

I actually got Cam’s point about the flash mob because Mitchell had not been home and spending lots of time learning the routine, Cam is a performer so the fun for him would have been spending that time with Mitchell being part of it together, not missing him for hours to watch him for two minutes.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He has quit most of them. 

I actually got Cam’s point about the flash mob because Mitchell had not been home and spending lots of time learning the routine, Cam is a performer so the fun for him would have been spending that time with Mitchell being part of it together, not missing him for hours to watch him for two minutes.

He didn’t quit the job with Phil! But he wanted to. Also the job he currently has now was a promotion wasn’t it? He still has a job right now right?

Anyways. My thing with Haley is what someone else posted. They’re really treating her as if she’s a high schooler who ended up pregnant and again as I and many others have said, they made it points that she was maturing and now she has regressed. This is behavior I would have expected from Haley about three seasons ago. But she’s been though a lot to have this regression.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also the job he currently has now was a promotion wasn’t it? He still has a job right now right?

The job he has now is him leaving his own practice to go to work at the DAs office.

To me having a freak out when you find out your unexpectedly pregnant isn’t regressing. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

My nephew and his wife, both college graduates and employed, just told the family they are expecting their first child in June.  After many happy congratulations texts and phone calls, they admitted they are happy and terrified.  So it's not necessarily crazy for Haley's character to react like she has.

• Love 5

Eh, I feel like the show has had her regress In a lot of ways lately. Not just the pregnancy but her personality is more high school Haley then Haley of a few seasons ago when she was growing up. It’s odd. I really wish they hadn’t done this storyline with her.

I never know where or what Mitchell is doing working wise. But it’s kind of the same with all the characters. Aside from Claire and jay who have beben doing the closet thing forever. But yeah I always forget until they show him at the school that Cam works at the high school or that phil is both a realtor and a magic shop owner. I never forget the realtor thing but I always forget he owns a store now too. Until they need it for plot.

Same with the kids and whatever they’re into that week. So that stuff doesn’t bother me. This show has a tendency to drop things in when need be, like someone else said, Lily. They drop her in when it fits the story.

What’s the news on if this is the last season? Honestly I think it should be but there’s been no official word yet, right?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

To me having a freak out when you find out your unexpectedly pregnant isn’t regressing. 

13 hours ago, momtoall said:

My nephew and his wife, both college graduates and employed, just told the family they are expecting their first child in June.  After many happy congratulations texts and phone calls, they admitted they are happy and terrified.  So it's not necessarily crazy for Haley's character to react like she has.

Yes, I don't have a problem with Haley freaking out either.  The other thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that Haley is still living in her parents' basement and has never actually lived on her own or taken care of herself as an independent adult.  I expect that would be a factor which would tremendously add to a person's anxiety when they suddenly find out they will have to take care of and be responsible for a helpless baby in less than nine months.

Edited by AnnaRose
typo
  • Love 5

Well that is a problem with the show that I have had, they can’t let Haley move out because it would take her away from the family. There were many moments in past seasons where She was starting to grow and get a career and possibly move it, but the show can’t let that happen because it would be hard to include her in the plots. She has to live at home. Same with Alex. 

I don’t know. My whole thing isn’t just the pregnancy, it’s that the show couldn’t ever let her grow up but that’s just how I feel. I know I’m one of few who don’t have Dylan and Haley love and who don’t like this story at all.

• Love 2