Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Perspective

• Start Topic

On 12/6/2018 at 11:25 AM, DoubleUTeeEff said:
On 12/5/2018 at 11:57 PM, yourdreamer said:

I have a feeling Delilah will be going to Blind Dog Whiskey or whatever before too long. 

Oh, boy. Run gas station man, run!

Yep, run as fast as you can, GSM.  His encounter with Delilah reminds me of an old country saying: "everything's that's good to ya ain't necessarily good for ya."

Agree with many here that this was the best written/acted episode of the series.  If they can maintain at least this level of quality, the show might have an outside chance of making it.

On 12/6/2018 at 12:00 AM, DearEvette said:

I like Gary.  And I am not gonna lie, I loved his scenes with John. 

Before this show, I'd only seen Ron Livingston in Search Party, and he was lights out there too. Excellent supporting actor, not a lead, but he makes every scene he's in come alive.  So far he's been used perfectly in this show.  Re: Gary - I get the feeling that he was dealing with some kind of pain/grief/unhappiness even before the Cancer.  The happy-go-lucky thing he's been doing prior to this week really seems like denial/over-compensation to me.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:42 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

As for Ashley, the only time she's remotely interesting is when she's with Gary, so let them hook up every couple of episodes to keep her relevant.

Lord help me, Shady Ashley is starting to grow on me.  She reminds me of Tony Almeda from 24 in a way, somebody so shifty that even when they're telling the truth, it still seems like they're lying, lol.  I think she actually knows what the "Barbara Morgan" deal is all about.

As always, Romy Malco kicks major butt.  The expression on his face during the depression conversation - when his dad turned on the water, it looked like Rome was half expecting poppa to pour the pills down the sink too, it wasn't just some of us.

Definitely enough in this episode to keep me sticking around for awhile longer.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, kazza said:

Some NYC condo buildings (usually high-rises) have supers and a full staff. The place Regina and Rome owns seems fairly upscale, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kind of in-house maintenance team. It was kind of a funny moment when Rome showed his Dad his all-in-one toolkit, as many condo owners could probably relate. 

I know I laughed, because that's all my son has now in his new apartment but he has no desire for his dad's tool bench/shelves in our basement in the future. I hope he becomes more handy.

I sometimes wish the writers see how fans catch the many gaffes though in writing and take the suggestions as a way to improve the show. My hubby always says TV started going downhill when watchers accepted less and less and reality shows replaced dramas and comedy shows with better writing. Even talk shows got lower class compared to the original ones.  They can carve a nice niche with this show and I hope it keeps getting better.

I personally think when the truth of Jon's duplicity comes out, it will be another shock to the group. Who was he? How did he hide all that? I don't think he was clinically depressed like Rome, but felt like he had no options left and wanted to leave his family with something monetary. It wont make me like Delilah more but it will be interesting to see how they explain it. Flashbacks will be hard, who is remembering it, but I hope to see more of the evolving of Jon.

The Maggie cliffhanger was a let down, she felt ill and ran to chemo, called her doc in the morning and said, Let's get this done? Weird but I feel like the writers do it week to week and forget things. This is Us writers have a long term outline that is set and looser components they play with, not a bad way to write.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4

Again i feel like I mentioned this, but are we supposed to be rooting for Delliah and Eddie? I mean the baby is his so I feel like that’s what the show wants. And now they’re adding GSM(can that be his name?) but are we supposed to want Eddie and Delliah? I mean.. maybe the show is leaving it open ended for this reason. Trying to test out the waters. 

13 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Again i feel like I mentioned this, but are we supposed to be rooting for Delliah and Eddie? I mean the baby is his so I feel like that’s what the show wants. And now they’re adding GSM(can that be his name?) but are we supposed to want Eddie and Delliah? I mean.. maybe the show is leaving it open ended for this reason. Trying to test out the waters. 

I'm not entirely sure. I know, by the time of filming this show, at least a couple of episodes have likely aired (likely more) so DJ Nash would be aware about the viewer reaction to Eddie and Delilah. I'm just unsure whether this is Nash's way to slowly wean off of Delilah/Eddie being endgame or him just throwing more obstacles to pave the way for the couple. It's really hard to say. Some showrunners buckle down on what THEY want and listens to the minority audience, rather than what the majority wants and drops their original ideas. I assume a lot of this was pre-planned so I assume James Tupper's character was always meant to show up. I'm just unsure of whether the editors/director of this episode meant to imply that Delilah's eye was wandering to another guy or not. 

My first thought is that GSM is tied up to Jon's shady business deals and that he actually ended up following Delilah for that reason. I find it ridiculous that a random guy would be flirting with someone like Delilah while they're both getting gas and also assuming right off the bat that she's single when she clearly still had her wedding ring on. Hint to all those people out there: asking someone out two seconds after meeting them without getting a name while they're getting gas isn't sexy. At least, I think that Delilah never gave him her name. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm not entirely sure. I know, by the time of filming this show, at least a couple of episodes have likely aired (likely more) so DJ Nash would be aware about the viewer reaction to Eddie and Delilah. I'm just unsure whether this is Nash's way to slowly wean off of Delilah/Eddie being endgame or him just throwing more obstacles to pave the way for the couple. It's really hard to say. Some showrunners buckle down on what THEY want and listens to the minority audience, rather than what the majority wants and drops their original ideas. I assume a lot of this was pre-planned so I assume James Tupper's character was always meant to show up. I'm just unsure of whether the editors/director of this episode meant to imply that Delilah's eye was wandering to another guy or not. 

My first thought is that GSM is tied up to Jon's shady business deals and that he actually ended up following Delilah for that reason. I find it ridiculous that a random guy would be flirting with someone like Delilah while they're both getting gas and also assuming right off the bat that she's single when she clearly still had her wedding ring on. Hint to all those people out there: asking someone out two seconds after meeting them without getting a name while they're getting gas isn't sexy. At least, I think that Delilah never gave him her name. 

I don't know if the bolded sentence plays a part of it or not and I have mixed feelings about it if it does.  On the one hand, Eddie and Delilah's relationship so very clearly doesn't work.  Now, if the intent was always for Delilah to be stringing Eddie along (again, her name is Delilah .  You don't give a character that name without realizing that it comes with baggage), then I think they could still get the show on a more steady ground easily by just tightening up the writing (and recognizing Szostak's limitations and writing to accommodate them).  If the intent was for Eddie and Delilah to be a great love story, they've failed in their storytelling and they need to fix it, and that could very well be changing direction.

On the other hand, I have a problem with show's changing direction on a dime just to make viewers happy.  It is obvious when they do it and it never works.  I'm not sure if that is what is happening here, but if it is the real problem is that Nash isn't committed to his own story, which signals that Eddie and Delilah will not be the only trainwreck in this show's future.

I do think that this episode was written, or at least in the process of being written after the show premiered.  I remember reading an interview with Nash around the time of the premiere or second episode where he talked about having just finished up the scripts for the 6th and 7th episodes, and this is the 9th.  So, yeah, take that however you need to.

It is interesting that this is the 2nd time now that a "name" actor has shown up in a cameo and then has seemingly disappeared; first Constance Zimmer and then James Tupper and I'm pretty confident that we'll see both of them again.  I think your theory about JT's character somehow being involved in whatever financial scheme Jon had going on and him tracking down Delilah is interesting and I hadn't thought of it.  I'm not *as* sure about him trying to find Delilah as he did seem genuinely surprised to discover that she was "partnered." but they might be able to spin that somehow.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
23 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Re: Gary - I get the feeling that he was dealing with some kind of pain/grief/unhappiness even before the Cancer.  The happy-go-lucky thing he's been doing prior to this week really seems like denial/over-compensation to me.

During the discussion of Gary’s outburst it occurred to me that he really just repeating what it learned in his childhood. His description of his parents fighting ruining his birthday party is similar to his behavior at the tasting last week and at his remission party. I also remembered that he said the one thing he wants is for everyone to be happy. It really explains why Gary is struggling so much with everything that is happening. I am becoming impressed with the level of depth that his going into Gary’s characterization. 

Edited by Guest

I actually think it would be WONDERFUL if this, or any, show would admit that clandestine affairs rarely survive the light of day, that they are usually just totally dysfunctional mistakes by people who are acting out, projecting all over the place, and trying to live in a fantasy world instead of actually dealing with life in a realistic way. And so, I would really like to see Eddie and Delilah just come to their senses and realize this, and the whole thing drops. The fetus throws a wrench in that, but they could still have it become a situation where they co-parent as non-partners, and it's really difficult. That would be narratively interesting to me, and refreshingly real. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I actually think it would be WONDERFUL if this, or any, show would admit that clandestine affairs rarely survive the light of day, that they are usually just totally dysfunctional mistakes by people who are acting out, projecting all over the place, and trying to live in a fantasy world instead of actually dealing with life in a realistic way. And so, I would really like to see Eddie and Delilah just come to their senses and realize this, and the whole thing drops. The fetus throws a wrench in that, but they could still have it become a situation where they co-parent as non-partners, and it's really difficult. That would be narratively interesting to me, and refreshingly real. 

I love this because you are so right on with the bolded part...  Unfortunately, I doubt that Nash is aware enough to go this route, even if it is the best possible thing for the show.  

I think I said in my initial post that I felt this was probably the best episode of the season and I do hope this signals an uptick for the show.  However, I felt that after 01.03 and the exact opposite happened, so I'm not holding my breath.  I do wonder if the second half of the season will have some significant shifts.  This show is right on the line of getting a second season and this episode, despite being strong, had a ratings drop (and I think it might have had the season low viewership).  It really is unfortunate to think that Nash may have lost a bit too much of his audience before the show started to improve.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 1:48 AM, possibilities said:

In my experience, there are plenty of guys who will hit on any random woman out in the world. I've had it happen to me and I'm not even vaguely interested nor conventionally fetching nor heterosexual nor a television Mary Sue. So I don't find it unrealistic that Modern Bar Guy took an interest. What will bother me is if he suddenly becomes a member of the group after their first date, and is unfazed by the revelation that she's a recent widow with two kids, and is pregnant with the product of the affair she had with dead hubby's best friend.

Sure, guys hit on random women. But this guy didn't hit on Maggie...he hit on Delilah, who's apparently irresistible for reasons I can't see, like, at all. But yeah, when she DOES reach out to GSM, he'l probablyl still find her irresistible, even with all of her baggage...for reasons I can't comprehend.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 7:42 AM, alexvillage said:

I do get your point but hot? Nah, I thought he was pretty disgusting.

Well, I think James Tupper is hot. No idea who or what GSM is all about yet. He might be a creepy troll.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Dani said:

During the discussion of Gary’s outburst it occurred to me that he really just repeating what it learned in his childhood. His description of his parents fighting ruining his birthday party is similar to is behavior at the tasting last week and at his remission party. I also remembered that he said the one thing he wants is for everyone to be happy. It really explains why Gary is struggling so much with everything that is happening. I am becoming impressed with the level of depth that his going into Gary’s characterization. 

I am too. Rome's getting a little of that treatment, but I sure wish we'd dig into all of them, instead of having the manufactured, and trite, pregnancy drama. The potential is strong in this show, but it's weighed down by inattention to detail and the (for me) mistaken idea that mystery and oopsie surprises are more interesting than the premise of the show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

Sure, guys hit on random women. But this guy didn't hit on Maggie...he hit on Delilah, who's apparently irresistible for reasons I can't see, like, at all. But yeah, when she DOES reach out to GSM, he'l probablyl still find her irresistible, even with all of her baggage...for reasons I can't comprehend.

Well, I think James Tupper is hot. No idea who or what GSM is all about yet. He might be a creepy troll.

To be fair, Maggie was sitting in the car where the James Tupper character couldn't see her.  

Still, it seemed to me like it was a guy who saw an attractive woman who was about his age and tried to make conversation with her.  I actually wasn't bothered by it and didn't find it inappropriate.  He wasn't overly aggressive and he backed off as soon as he saw Delilah was wearing a wedding ring. Also, I've only watched this scene once, but I don't recall Delilah acting in any way that would signal that his attentions were unwelcome.  

• Love 6

I have no idea if the timeline of writing/shooting/editing a tv show but I always thought it was way ahead of what’s actually airing. I just assume whatever season is airing is already finished or at least very close to finished shooting. Therefore i never think the writers can take an audience’s immediate reaction to a recently aired episode and then tailor a soon to air episode to appease them. I can be totally off the mark here but that’s just what I always thought happened. 

38 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

To be fair, Maggie was sitting in the car where the James Tupper character couldn't see her.  

Still, it seemed to me like it was a guy who saw an attractive woman who was about his age and tried to make conversation with her.  I actually wasn't bothered by it and didn't find it inappropriate.  He wasn't overly aggressive and he backed off as soon as he saw Delilah was wearing a wedding ring. Also, I've only watched this scene once, but I don't recall Delilah acting in any way that would signal that his attentions were unwelcome.  

I agree but she could’ve not engaged in furthering the conversation (by Asking him what his fav song was) and thus given the very clear impression of “not interested” right away. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

I have no idea if the timeline of writing/shooting/editing a tv show but I always thought it was way ahead of what’s actually airing. I just assume whatever season is airing is already finished or at least very close to finished shooting. Therefore i never think the writers can take an audience’s immediate reaction to a recently aired episode and then tailor a soon to air episode to appease them. I can be totally off the mark here but that’s just what I always thought happened. 

This is true about streaming (the vast majority of the time).  The filming of the season is completely done by the time it drops.  Broadcast, however, is different (again, usually).  They are usually 4-5 episodes ahead of what is currently airing.

This is actually one of the reasons that I think broadcast dramas are such a step down from streaming.  With streaming, the creative team is committed to whatever the story is for the season and they don't get any viewer feedback during the process.  With broadcast, there is constant feedback to the showrunners (focus groups, "notes" from the network, etc) about what the audience is feeling and there is pressure to "give them what they want" to make the show more attractive to advertisers.  The result can be a mess of a show that abounds with continuity errors and nonsensical storylines.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Sure, guys hit on random women. But this guy didn't hit on Maggie...

Maggie was in the car! Delilah was standing in the open and talking loudly about Simon and Garfunkel. For him to ignore the easily accessible woman and go look in the car to hit on her friend seems to me to cross the line even for the average street flirter.

I didn't mind Delilah asking him a follow up question. She had a choice of being blatantly cold to brush him off, or making polite conversation while she pumped the gas. In real life, it wouldn't be a big deal, and she'd be considered rude if she told him to get lost, friendly and good natured if she chatted. Of course, it's TV, so everything is either foreshadowing or a plot hole, but the scene itself didn't strike me as reflecting badly on either of them

• Love 5
On 12/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

It is interesting that this is the 2nd time now that a "name" actor has shown up in a cameo and then has seemingly disappeared; first Constance Zimmer and then James Tupper and I'm pretty confident that we'll see both of them again. 

I have a hard time believing that this is the new version of The Good Wife where they get famous/recognizable stars for random cameos every week, so I think they will both be back but if they wait much longer, people will forgot that they were on the show in the first place.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:37 AM, Winston Wolfe said:

Lord help me, Shady Ashley is starting to grow on me.  She reminds me of Tony Almeda from 24 in a way, somebody so shifty that even when they're telling the truth, it still seems like they're lying, lol.  I think she actually knows what the "Barbara Morgan" deal is all about.

Ha, this is a perfect analogy. Tony could have said, "It's raining," while standing in a complete downpour and my reaction would still be along the lines of, "Oh, really? Or is that just what you want me to believe so you found a weather machine to create this storm in order to hide what you're REALLY doing?"

• Love 2
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maggie was in the car! Delilah was standing in the open and talking loudly about Simon and Garfunkel. For him to ignore the easily accessible woman and go look in the car to hit on her friend seems to me to cross the line even for the average street flirter.

I didn't mind Delilah asking him a follow up question. She had a choice of being blatantly cold to brush him off, or making polite conversation while she pumped the gas. In real life, it wouldn't be a big deal, and she'd be considered rude if she told him to get lost, friendly and good natured if she chatted. Of course, it's TV, so everything is either foreshadowing or a plot hole, but the scene itself didn't strike me as reflecting badly on either of them

I don't think it reflected badly on anyone, Delilah is a free agent, however encumbered by guilt, messy relationship problems, widowhood and babies.... I just eyerolled that so many men seem to find Delilah such a temptress, while she annoys me so much. I said my hatred of her was likely unreasonable. I also assumed he was filling up his car and saw them BOTH approach, well before Maggie got into the car, and overheard their convo. But whatever.

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

I can't think we're really supposed to be rooting for them...at least not yet. Unless something comes out about Jon that renders him a terrible man, in retrospect, something that will make us think 'well, he was a piece of shit, who cares if his wife cheated on him with one of his BFFs', it's just an icky springboard for the relationship. And again, probably my annoyance with Delilah, but I've not seen an ounce of chemistry between her and Eddie. Also...I'd forgotten til last week that Eddie spoke at Jon's funeral. That seems SO disrespectful and gross to me. Even if all the friends expected him to speak, cuz they didn't know about the affair, he and Delilah knew. He should have begged off.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I don't think it reflected badly on anyone, Delilah is a free agent, however encumbered by guilt, messy relationship problems, widowhood and babies.... I just eyerolled that so many men seem to find Delilah such a temptress, while she annoys me so much. I said my hatred of her was likely unreasonable. I also assumed he was filling up his car and saw them BOTH approach, well before Maggie got into the car, and overheard their convo. But whatever.

Yeah, I don't think there was anything improper for either party here.  Delilah is free to flirt with whomever she chooses.  I mean, it's a nice change for her to do it when she isn't already committed to someone else.  There is, of course, the element of the absurd in that she's pregnant with a baby who she claims was fathered by her dead husband's best friend...but that's, like, a third-date topic of conversation.  And, if she goes for it with this guy and her friends think she's crazy, she can always say it was because Eddie left her.  I mean, that excuse seems to be working (at least on Maggie) this time!

But I am with you in that they've done either a supremely crappy job of making Delilah sympathetic or a supremely bizarre job of making her unsympathetic that a development like this really comes off as a big eye-roller.  But, you know what?  It is less infuriating than her continuously leading Eddie along, so that makes it a little better.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I have a hard time believing that this is the new version of The Good Wife where they get famous/recognizable stars for random cameos every week, so I think they will both be back but if they wait much longer, people will forgot that they were on the show in the first place.

Agreed.  I mean, I keep forgetting that Ashley is in this show and she's in nearly every episode.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

I agree but she could’ve not engaged in furthering the conversation (by Asking him what his fav song was) and thus given the very clear impression of “not interested” right away. 

[And that's why we have the #metoo mess now. Can't a person engage in light conversation with another person without it being about being interested sexually? Why is is Delilah's fault? He picked up on their conversation and she responded. Why does the woman have to manage the man's expectations?]

• Love 8
2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I can't think we're really supposed to be rooting for them...at least not yet. Unless something comes out about Jon that renders him a terrible man, in retrospect, something that will make us think 'well, he was a piece of shit, who cares if his wife cheated on him with one of his BFFs', it's just an icky springboard for the relationship. And again, probably my annoyance with Delilah, but I've not seen an ounce of chemistry between her and Eddie. Also...I'd forgotten til last week that Eddie spoke at Jon's funeral. That seems SO disrespectful and gross to me. Even if all the friends expected him to speak, cuz they didn't know about the affair, he and Delilah knew. He should have begged off.

I think if they had this horrible thing about Jon, it really needed to come out by now.  And it needed to be really, really terrible.  And I'm still not sure that would excuse Delilah for taking up with someone in their friend circle who was married to someone else who, in the world of retconning, is also in their friend circle.  I mean, all we've seen of Jon so far is that he's a good friend, affectionate husband, involved father, and was dealing with some work-related stress.  That hardly constitutes spousal neglect.  And Katherine, who Eddie claimed was toxic, has been shown to be a devoted and loving mother who sacrificed for her family.  So, honestly, I cannot foresee anything they could bring up that would justify Eddie and Delilah's actions.  At least with Eddie, they've shown him to be an unevolved manchild who at least has the possibility for growth.  Delilah, on the other hand...I really don't know what the hell they are trying to go with there.

Still, it kind of feels like maybe they want us to root for Eddie and Delilah but...but...they have given us every possible reason not to.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

he's a good friend, affectionate husband, involved father, and was dealing with some work-related stress

Have we seen affectionate husband? If he wasn't, as Delilah claims, then that's one bad thing about him.
Of course, it's possibly another ret-con, since you'd expect that she would have confided in Regina about that. Or Gary. Because Gary's everyone's best friend.

18 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Have we seen affectionate husband? If he wasn't, as Delilah claims, then that's one bad thing about him.
Of course, it's possibly another ret-con, since you'd expect that she would have confided in Regina about that. Or Gary. Because Gary's everyone's best friend.

In the flashback to pizza night (episode 4, I think?) he was shown being very affectionate, both physically and in tone, to Delilah when they were in the kitchen with her father.  Later, when he had snapped at her father and she confronted him, he got a phone call and she remarked (in a way that made no sense...Szostak really cannot deliver a line!) something him about taking the call and he said everything he did was for his family.

47 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

The biggest issue is that we only had two (or three? I barely remember the first two episodes tbh) flashback scenes with Delilah and Jon in episode four. Because they're from Delilah's point of view specifically, we are led to believe that Jon was too focused on everyone else and not her. Which...ok, great, but can we see the examples of them fighting or him ignoring her? One phone call that he takes is not enough, and just hearing about it from Delilah, the aforementioned cheater, doesn't make me completely buy Jon as some guy who "left her two years ago." 

The longer they drag out this "Jon is not the perfect guy when he was alive" mystery, the less I believe it. I'm sorry, but when the flashbacks show Jon as a loving friend and father (ok, fine, I'll allow the husband part to be debatable FOR THE MOMENT), it makes his possible future/past actions more sympathetic. So he likely had a shady business deal with what Ashley was deleting back in episode 2. It looks to me like he was doing it for good reason. He's not perfect, fine, but no way can he be worse than Delilah and Eddie, especially to warrant Delilah cheating for months.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

The longer they drag out this "Jon is not the perfect guy when he was alive" mystery, the less I believe it. I'm sorry, but when the flashbacks show Jon as a loving friend and father (ok, fine, I'll allow the husband part to be debatable FOR THE MOMENT), it makes his possible future/past actions more sympathetic. So he likely had a shady business deal with what Ashley was deleting back in episode 2. It looks to me like he was doing it for good reason. He's not perfect, fine, but no way can he be worse than Delilah and Eddie, especially to warrant Delilah cheating for months.

One of the ways that I think this show is better than TIU is the fact that they haven't canonized Jon.   The flashbacks we've seen of Jon paint a character who is a good friend, loving father and (yeah, I'll go there) husband) and ALSO not be completely on the up and up.  This is why Delilah trying to shirk any responsibility for her own actions irks me so much.  If Jon really was a neglectful husband, we need to start seeing that.  Actually, I think it's too late--that should have been shown before Delilah started whining about him "leaving" her two years ago.

This is also why I have trouble coming up with any scenario of Jon's that would be so bad that it would in any way to condone Delilah's actions*.  I mean, if he were physically abusive I might be more sympathetic, but I would also have a hard time believing that issue had never, ever, ever come up before in some way with his family and/or friends.  To throw it in at this point would be some of the sloppiest retconning I've seen in years.

* I know I'm spending a lot of time talking about Delilah and her justification to cheat.  But what about Eddie?  And I'm not talking about Katherine--he slept with his best friend's wife.  What made that okay for him?  To sound rather childish, what did Jon ever do to him?  The way Jon is portrayed, and the way that the guys' friendship is portrayed, I feel like Eddie and Delilah could not have "just happened."  Yet, that is what we are supposed to believe.  It seems like there had to be something between Eddie and Jon that, on some level, made Eddie feel that this route was justified.

• Love 5

Oh, Eddie's  a douchebag. He's cute and has some charm, so he skates, but he's an asshole. And I need a little more exposition on why the group apparently seemed to hate Katherine...cuz she worked too much? Cuz she got tired of taking care of a drunk man-child? Why, especially, did Gary seem to dislike her? And yes...you don't just bone your BFF's wife without some serious issues at play there. Do you? I don't know.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Oh, Eddie's  a douchebag. He's cute and has some charm, so he skates, but he's an asshole. And I need a little more exposition on why the group apparently seemed to hate Katherine...cuz she worked too much? Cuz she got tired of taking care of a drunk man-child? Why, especially, did Gary seem to dislike her? And yes...you don't just bone your BFF's wife without some serious issues at play there. Do you? I don't know.

Well all of Gary’s remarks about her seem to imply that she kept Eddie on a short leash. But really? Eddie and Delliah were having an affair that no one knew about. 

I think Gary disliked her for that. She said Jon was always kind to her, Delliah was probably odd with her because she was sleeping with Eddie and my guess is Romens and Reigina were ambivalent towards her.

And here’s the thing, all of this would have been fine if the show now wasn’t trying to shoehorn her into the group and all their events. Like the tasting but Gary’s remission party? I mean.. I kind of thought Regina and Katherine would be starting a friendship after the tasting, which would have been interesting but no, they’re just going to throw Katherine at all these events.. like it’s normal.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

The only reason we've been given is that he saw Katherine as an overprotective parent who would not let Eddie come out and play.  Seriously. 

But, put that in perspective.  Rome (and Regina) have no kids and seem to have the sort of relationship where they each have their own interests, plus Regina is best friends with Jon's wife.  So, the guys could hang together while at the same time the wives (Regina and Delilah, not Katherine) could hang out.  We also know that Regina and Delilah's friendship didn's extend to Katherine.  There was the scene at the pizza night where Regina said something to Katherine along the lines that she was never a good friend to her.  There was also that heartbreaking flashback of Katherine returning a scarf to Delilah and very clearly wanting to make some connection with her while Delilah sort of shoos her off and then Eddie appears from inside Delilah's house.  So, on that count, Katherine was the one who didn't fit into the group in a way that was convenient for Gary.

There is also the issue of kids.  Jon and Delilah's kids are older--and only seem to exist when the plot needs them to.  Theo, however, always seems to be around.  We have seen far more of him than we have of Danny or Sophie (and I'm okay with that).  But someone has to take care of him when he's not at school or swimming lessons, and that was Eddie.  Which  meant that Eddie wasn't available to Gary.  And it's not cool to resent kids, but--sadly--it is acceptable to criticize mothers who work outside of the house as if they aren't "doing their job" when they aren't with their kids, even if said kid was with his other parent and cared for.  To Gary, it was just that the other parent--Eddie--had responsibilities (yes, I used Eddie and responsibility in the same sentence) that he could not understand.  Gary is great with kids--he'll play with them, he'll take them on "dates," he'll take them on outings, he'll even babysit (sort of), but he doesn't seem to realize what it means to raise them.

Well, that's just my take on it...

2 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

And here’s the thing, all of this would have been fine if the show now wasn’t trying to shoehorn her into the group and all their events. Like the tasting but Gary’s remission party? I mean.. I kind of thought Regina and Katherine would be starting a friendship after the tasting, which would have been interesting but no, they’re just going to throw Katherine at all these events.. like it’s normal.

I'd actually like to see a Katherine/Regina friendship but not the way they are trying to do it now.  You're right...it is completely unrealistic.  However, Regina asking Katherine to meet her for coffee sometime?  That is believable.

• Love 2

Maybe it will turn out Jon was NOT a bad husband, and whatever his secret was does not actually reflect that badly on him personally, and that Eddie and Delilah are shown to just be schmucks. We see that Katherine was not a bad wife, nor a terrible person. All signs point to D and E being the assholes here, not their spouses.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

One of the ways that I think this show is better than TIU is the fact that they haven't canonized Jon.   The flashbacks we've seen of Jon paint a character who is a good friend, loving father and (yeah, I'll go there) husband) and ALSO not be completely on the up and up.  This is why Delilah trying to shirk any responsibility for her own actions irks me so much.  If Jon really was a neglectful husband, we need to start seeing that.  Actually, I think it's too late--that should have been shown before Delilah started whining about him "leaving" her two years ago.

This is also why I have trouble coming up with any scenario of Jon's that would be so bad that it would in any way to condone Delilah's actions*.  I mean, if he were physically abusive I might be more sympathetic, but I would also have a hard time believing that issue had never, ever, ever come up before in some way with his family and/or friends.  To throw it in at this point would be some of the sloppiest retconning I've seen in years.

* I know I'm spending a lot of time talking about Delilah and her justification to cheat.  But what about Eddie?  And I'm not talking about Katherine--he slept with his best friend's wife.  What made that okay for him?  To sound rather childish, what did Jon ever do to him?  The way Jon is portrayed, and the way that the guys' friendship is portrayed, I feel like Eddie and Delilah could not have "just happened."  Yet, that is what we are supposed to believe.  It seems like there had to be something between Eddie and Jon that, on some level, made Eddie feel that this route was justified.

My take is that they are both entitled whiners. Like so many people, they'll find a reason for their poor impulses. Usually reasons that blame someone else.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

My take is that they are both entitled whiners. Like so many people, they'll find a reason for their poor impulses. Usually reasons that blame someone else.

No argument from me.  I will say, though, that Eddie is at least sort of taking some responsibility for things.  Well, maybe not "taking responsibility" but at least admitting that maybe Katherine isn't as bad as he was telling everyone and, had he realizes what she was sacrificing, he would have been a better husband.  Still pretty despicable, but a hell of a lot better than Delilah saying that Jon didn't pay enough attention to her and it is his fault that she strayed, while admitting that she did nothing to find out what was going on with him.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

No argument from me.  I will say, though, that Eddie is at least sort of taking some responsibility for things.  Well, maybe not "taking responsibility" but at least admitting that maybe Katherine isn't as bad as he was telling everyone and, had he realizes what she was sacrificing, he would have been a better husband.  Still pretty despicable, but a hell of a lot better than Delilah saying that Jon didn't pay enough attention to her and it is his fault that she strayed, while admitting that she did nothing to find out what was going on with him.

Delliah just also seems to not know what she wants. Like I don’t wanna say she was leading Eddie on, but it always feels like he’s in love with her or claims to be, he thought they would be together and be getting a home together and he was ready to leave his family. Delliah always seems so.. not into any of that.  Granted she lost her husband but even still she never feels as in love as Eddie is.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Delliah just also seems to not know what she wants. Like I don’t wanna say she was leading Eddie on, but it always feels like he’s in love with her or claims to be, he thought they would be together and be getting a home together and he was ready to leave his family. Delliah always seems so.. not into any of that.  Granted she lost her husband but even still she never feels as in love as Eddie is.

As someone said in an earlier thread...Delilah was having a midlife crisis and Eddie was her Ferrari.

I kind of see Delilah as the sort of character who always had someone, probably always a man, taking care of her.  Her father, who she now cares for but we've seen exactly once, and then Jon.  My guess is that her dad was the sort of person who always took care of everything and gave his little girl everything she wanted.  Then she met Jon and they had this amazing love story (or so we're told in 01.03) and now he takes care of her every need...until he doesn't.  He has kids to care for and a job to tend to and...something else is going on, which is still a mystery but I will bet dollars to donuts that it was an ill-advised financial scheme to provide for his family.  As soon as Delilah is not the center or some man's world, she finds another man to fill that role.  And who better than her husband's hot friend who is in an unhappy marriage and, therefore, a vulnerable position.

It sounds like I'm putting all this on Delilah's shoulders and I guess I sort of am.  I mean, Eddie--despite all appearances--is an adult, at least chronologically.  But we know that Delilah at least set the wheels of the affair in motion and she was the one who was in the driver's seat.  And even now, despite the affair supposedly being over, she's still calling the shots.  She gets to tell Eddie he's the father, but he can't say anything (and, the more I think about that, the crueler it seems).  I also wonder when the "Katherine is toxic" line started.  Had it been going on for a while and then the E/D affair started...or did it start after Eddie began sleeping with Delilah and he was trying to justify his actions.  All he had said before that was that Katherine was working all the time, not that she was "toxic."  And they seemed fine at pizza night, which took place at some point in the previous year.  I may be reading too much into this, but telling the guy you're sleeping with that his wife is just oh so mean and unfair is definitely a way to keep him coming back for more.

• Love 2

True. I was uncharacteristically harsh - but I was having a moment. LOL.

As soon as Delilah is not the center or some man's world, she finds another man to fill that role.  And who better than her husband's hot friend who is in an unhappy marriage and, therefore, a vulnerable position.

I've known two women like that - they always had someone in the batter's cage (did I use that right?). I didn't care for either of them. I've always liked breathing room and "me" time between men (not that I've had that many.)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

In the flashback to pizza night (episode 4, I think?) he was shown being very affectionate, both physically and in tone, to Delilah when they were in the kitchen with her father.  Later, when he had snapped at her father and she confronted him, he got a phone call and she remarked (in a way that made no sense...Szostak really cannot deliver a line!) something him about taking the call and he said everything he did was for his family.

I recently rewatched that episode and those two flashback scenes were from different times. The one where they are affectionate was 2 years ago and the one with the phone call was 6 months ago. I completely missed it at the time. There is a difference in his demeanor between the two scenes that I guess was supposed to support her claim.  In my opinion the difference is far to minor to show that he “left her”.  Especially when you consider that Jon supported Gary through chemo treatments in the time between those two scenes. 

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

I recently rewatched that episode and those two flashback scenes were from different times. The one where they are affectionate was 2 years ago and the one with the phone call was 6 months ago. I completely missed it at the time. There is a difference in his demeanor between the two scenes that I guess was supposed to support her claim.  In my opinion the difference is far to minor to show that he “left her”.  Especially when you consider that Jon supported Gary through chemo treatments in the time between those two scenes. 

I missed that too.  So, Nash is trying to set a timeline up--we have them right before he "left her" and at a point shortly before (I guess) she started up with Eddie.  I agree that it does not come close to supporting her claim that Jon left the marriage, emotionally or whatnot, only that Jon was under some stress at that moment 6 months before.

I'm going to have to watch it again because I remember a brief moment when both Katherine and Eddie were there and they seem to be happy and he even makes some affectionate gesture to her--something like patting her arm that hinted at some intimacy.  If that was during the "6 months ago" part of the flashback, I'll be digging my heels into the "Delilah is a homewrecker" theory (as opposed to "both Eddie and Delilah are scum" theory).

22 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I missed that too.  So, Nash is trying to set a timeline up--we have them right before he "left her" and at a point shortly before (I guess) she started up with Eddie.  I agree that it does not come close to supporting her claim that Jon left the marriage, emotionally or whatnot, only that Jon was under some stress at that moment 6 months before.

I'm going to have to watch it again because I remember a brief moment when both Katherine and Eddie were there and they seem to be happy and he even makes some affectionate gesture to her--something like patting her arm that hinted at some intimacy.  If that was during the "6 months ago" part of the flashback, I'll be digging my heels into the "Delilah is a homewrecker" theory (as opposed to "both Eddie and Delilah are scum" theory).

That moment was in the “2 years ago” flashback. 

As I have been rewatching some of the earlier episodes I am getting more confused about what the show is trying to say about Delilah. In that two years since Jon “left her” he went to every one of Gary’s chemo appointments, he was at every Friday night dinner, and he coached Sophie’s softball team. Are they actually trying to show that Delilah is so needy that she can’t handle her husband working late so that he can be there for his kids and friends? If that isn’t what they are going for they are failing miserably.

Delilah actually initiates the affair by inviting Eddie to dinner while watching her husband coach her daughters game.  There is no possible way for me to be sympathetic to her in that scenario. 

Edited by Guest
12 minutes ago, Dani said:

That moment was in the “2 years ago” flashback. 

As I have rewatching some of the earlier episodes I am getting more confused about what the show is trying to say about Delilah. In that two years since Jon “left her” he went to every one of Gary’s chemo appointments, he was at every Friday night dinner, and he coached Sophie’s softball team. Are they actually trying to show that Delilah is so needy that she can’t handle her husband working late so that he can be there for his kids and friends? If that isn’t what they are going for they are failing miserably.

Delilah actually initiates the affair by inviting Eddie to dinner while watching her husband coach her daughters game.  There is no possible way for me to be sympathetic to her in that scenario. 

I'm starting to think that we are supposed to see Delilah as narcissistic and manipulative.  I mean, the actual events of the show seem to bear that out, but the nature of the show doesn't match up.  It's pretty terrible writing, honestly.  It's almost like Nash doesn't have the balls to commit to the character OR (and?) he was trying to hedge his bets to see what the audience thought of Delilah before deciding which road to take with her.  

It's not a smart move...they are in the first half of the first season of the show and they are losing viewers and I would dare to say that it's because people can't really figure out what they are supposed to feel about this show.  Now, I'm hopeful that this episode, which is right about where we would start getting episodes that were written after the first and second episode aired, signals some correction...but I'm not holding my breath.

So, are we forgetting that Maggie fell at the end of last episode? Okay then...moving on.

Seriously. They were partway through the road trip scenes when I remembered her collapsing in the previous episode, and I had to pause and make sure I hadn't accidentally skipped ahead one too many episodes and missed the resolution to her collapse. WTF? Why write something so dramatic and then not address it at all? So bizarre.

I still just can't buy the immediate and deep friendship that Maggie has with everyone.  Delilah driving her to Western Mass for a guest lecture was a huge deal.  It also involved waiting for the lecture to finish.  But, of course, they are such good and deep friends that Delilah was happy to do so.  I also found it weird that Maggie was at Gary's party.  They all knew that they were "broken up" or however a few week relationship ends (especially when it was accepted as just a casual thing for the first weeks).  They should have realized that it would be awkward for Gary (especially as the two guys knew that Gary had slept with Ashley).  I just don't understand the immediate and deep bonds she apparently has with everyone.

Agreed. Also, I was really surprised to see her at Gary's remission party. It makes no sense for her to be there after the big fight they had at the previous group gathering. Why on earth would she (or any of Gary's friends) think it would be appropriate for her to be there, celebrating a milestone for Gary that Maggie herself had decided was not something she wanted to fight for in regard to her own health? It seems like it would be a bit of pouring salt on Gary's wounds for her to be there. A slap in the face, and all other cliches. It's kind of mean and insensitive of her to attend.

Nevertheless, I thought his meltdown at the remission party was pretty powerful, and it was good for everyone to see him lose it about Jon in that way. (And I did like the symmetry of it, given that earlier in the episode Maggie had given a speech about how grief takes so many forms and you cannot say one reaction is more "right" than another reaction.) 

Also effective to me was Rome and Regina's final scene after his dad left. I'll admit it; I got teary. Also, his quiet determination in telling his father the truth and standing firm that even if it wasn't something his father understood, it was the right thing for Rome... that was really wonderful. Great moment of growth and strength on his part. I like his character a lot.

What else... I liked the scenes with Jon and Gary. I hope we see more flashbacks to Gary's cancer treatments if it means seeing more of his relationship with Jon. And I found it intriguing that Jon told Gary that Gary would outlive him... as Gary worried, was Jon hinting, had he actually been planning it that far back, or was it just a general comment that out of context seems like creepy / sad premonition?

One final detail I appreciated: seeing Gary doing a breast exam on himself, the day of his anniversary. I know it may seem like no big deal, or maybe even extraneous / unnecessary, but as someone who once had to have two biopsies (one in each breast) because they weren't sure if I had breast cancer (thankfully not), there are still times when I get paranoid and start poking around, thinking, "Is that a bruise or a lump? Has my cyst turned into cancer? Am I imagining things?" So I can see why he'd be extra careful on anniversary day, just thinking about what he'd been through and wanting to make sure everything still felt okay, and I appreciated that little character detail.

Random extra thought: I haven't decided if I'm annoyed or relieved that Katherine decided not to be a partner. For one, I really don't think her request was unreasonable, especially given that most courthouses close by 5pm so her taking a couple hours off from 6-8pm and then continuing to work into the later evening wouldn't mean she's making herself unavailable during prime working hours. On the other hand, if she truly would rather be spending time with Theo and only took on the extra work load aiming at partner because of her previous relationship with Eddie (and his not working steadily), then I think she's got every right to decide that being partner isn't her big dream. But I just don't know how I feel yet about how she's treated on the show; in some ways, it feels like this is another punishment put on her shoulders while her ex Eddie is making big decisions to go on the road, clearly not even thinking about his son or anyone else but himself. So I don't know if I like this. Hmm...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

Seriously. They were partway through the road trip scenes when I remembered her collapsing in the previous episode, and I had to pause and make sure I hadn't accidentally skipped ahead one too many episodes and missed the resolution to her collapse. WTF? Why write something so dramatic and then not address it at all? So bizarre.

Agreed. Also, I was really surprised to see her at Gary's remission party. It makes no sense for her to be there after the big fight they had at the previous group gathering. Why on earth would she (or any of Gary's friends) think it would be appropriate for her to be there, celebrating a milestone for Gary that Maggie herself had decided was not something she wanted to fight for in regard to her own health? It seems like it would be a bit of pouring salt on Gary's wounds for her to be there. A slap in the face, and all other cliches. It's kind of mean and insensitive of her to attend.

Nevertheless, I thought his meltdown at the remission party was pretty powerful, and it was good for everyone to see him lose it about Jon in that way. (And I did like the symmetry of it, given that earlier in the episode Maggie had given a speech about how grief takes so many forms and you cannot say one reaction is more "right" than another reaction.) 

Also effective to me was Rome and Regina's final scene after his dad left. I'll admit it; I got teary. Also, his quiet determination in telling his father the truth and standing firm that even if it wasn't something his father understood, it was the right thing for Rome... that was really wonderful. Great moment of growth and strength on his part. I like his character a lot.

What else... I liked the scenes with Jon and Gary. I hope we see more flashbacks to Gary's cancer treatments if it means seeing more of his relationship with Jon. And I found it intriguing that Jon told Gary that Gary would outlive him... as Gary worried, was Jon hinting, had he actually been planning it that far back, or was it just a general comment that out of context seems like creepy / sad premonition?

One final detail I appreciated: seeing Gary doing a breast exam on himself, the day of his anniversary. I know it may seem like no big deal, or maybe even extraneous / unnecessary, but as someone who once had to have two biopsies (one in each breast) because they weren't sure if I had breast cancer (thankfully not), there are still times when I get paranoid and start poking around, thinking, "Is that a bruise or a lump? Has my cyst turned into cancer? Am I imagining things?" So I can see why he'd be extra careful on anniversary day, just thinking about what he'd been through and wanting to make sure everything still felt okay, and I appreciated that little character detail.

Random extra thought: I haven't decided if I'm annoyed or relieved that Katherine decided not to be a partner. For one, I really don't think her request was unreasonable, especially given that most courthouses close by 5pm so her taking a couple hours off from 6-8pm and then continuing to work into the later evening wouldn't mean she's making herself unavailable during prime working hours. On the other hand, if she truly would rather be spending time with Theo and only took on the extra work load aiming at partner because of her previous relationship with Eddie (and his not working steadily), then I think she's got every right to decide that being partner isn't her big dream. But I just don't know how I feel yet about how she's treated on the show; in some ways, it feels like this is another punishment put on her shoulders while her ex Eddie is making big decisions to go on the road, clearly not even thinking about his son or anyone else but himself. So I don't know if I like this. Hmm...

Re Katherine, I agree, it's all what she wanted. She seemed to want it with the request for time (I have a feeling a guy would just do it and not ask)  but she also seemed relieved. You are supposed to want those things because of money and power, but it's not for everyone. My niece took a nice pay cut at a big accounting company. They loved her, gave her great reviews but she had no life, worked early to very late, weekends, etc. After 5 years she stayed long enough to return their paying for her masters at UVA  per contract and went somewhere she could breathe. No kids yet, but she wanted to have a life outside of work and I admire that even though some thought the loss of income was stupid. That's the world we live in but if it's your choice, you'll be happy.

I want to see more of Jon but how many cancer flashbacks can they have or will they have Delilah have them or Rome? Maybe Ashley? I love his smile.  I don't know how we will see the progression of his decline and how he got to the end of the line, but I hope the writing is better.

My coworkers left the show because of the bad writing, the Maggie debacle,  watching stiff Deliah talk with that breathy voice, not having any real chemistry with any of her fellow actor's. I don't feel with her acting, anything with Eddie or his kids or anyone really. I told them to give it another chance but for some, an hour is a long time to waste.  One coworker said it is like they can't decide if this is a drama, a night soap opera with bad writing or a comedy/drama.

I still have hope Nash will find what he wants. Gary is the glue for me, Jon's appearances and wanting to know who Barbara is, but if that plot fails, they might lose more. I wonder sometimes if Nash knows who she is yet. lol

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, debraran said:

My coworkers left the show because of the bad writing, the Maggie debacle,  watching stiff Deliah talk with that breathy voice, not having any real chemistry with any of her fellow actor's. I don't feel with her acting, anything with Eddie or his kids or anyone really. I told them to give it another chance but for some, an hour is a long time to waste.  One coworker said it is like they can't decide if this is a drama, a night soap opera with bad writing or a comedy/drama.

Hell, I've been watching it from the beginning and discussing it endlessly here and I still can't decide what kind of show this is!

Yes, everyone in my life who started watching this has also dropped it, all for reasons involving Delilah.  She really is sinking this ship--and I don't think that has to happen, but it will as long Nash thinks she's the shining star of the show.

I still like the show, or maybe I am still intrigued by it, wanting to know where they are going. There are good themes that can be explored and I hope they do that.

I am disappointed with how they turn Maggie into getting chemo. I wish they had focused more on her own feelings about mortality instead of just reacting to a tearful story of friendship.

Depression is a hard theme and even harder to be dealt with in shows (like all disabilities) so I am half hoping they will leave it mostly alone.

Contrary to (what seems) most of people here I have no idea of who those actors are. The only one i recognize is Grace Park from the very good, very unwatched The Cleaner. So I don't watch the show because of any actor, or think the characters only somehow work because of certain actor. I am still forming my opinion on the actors/character but mostly I blame the writing for the lack of personality on Delilah and Regina. The writers must be all male.

4 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

Contrary to (what seems) most of people here I have no idea of who those actors are. The only one i recognize is Grace Park from the very good, very unwatched The Cleaner. So I don't watch the show because of any actor, or think the characters only somehow work because of certain actor. I am still forming my opinion on the actors/character but mostly I blame the writing for the lack of personality on Delilah and Regina. The writers must be all male.

There have been female writers on a few episodes, but the writers are mostly male.  I think they could do quite a bit with Regina--when we have seen her actually do something, which is not all that often, Christina Moses is great.  The complete opposite is true of Delilah.  We've seen her front and center almost from the beginning and Szostak has never been able to make her work.  I will put some of that on the writers as they don't seem to know what to do with Delilah, but there are also so many performance issues that I don't think Szostak would succeed in even a well-written role.

2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I am disappointed with how they turn Maggie into getting chemo. I wish they had focused more on her own feelings about mortality instead of just reacting to a tearful story of friendship.

I agree with you. Maggie really needed “I want to live”  moment. It would have been better if she made that decision during the drive back with Delilah. That would have made it clear that she was choosing treatment based on coming to terms with her brothers death. It also would have made more sense for her to be at the party to tell Gary she changed her mind. Of course that would mean that the drive was about something other than Delilah. 

2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

There have been female writers on a few episodes, but the writers are mostly male.  I think they could do quite a bit with Regina--when we have seen her actually do something, which is not all that often, Christina Moses is great.  The complete opposite is true of Delilah.  We've seen her front and center almost from the beginning and Szostak has never been able to make her work.  I will put some of that on the writers as they don't seem to know what to do with Delilah, but there are also so many performance issues that I don't think Szostak would succeed in even a well-written role.

Unfortunately female writers have actually been behind 2 of the worst episodes, Friday Night Dinner and  Fight or Flight. I think the problem is Nash’s story and who he is choosing to write the episodes. 

The next episode is cowritten be Jordan Hawley who has a lot of writing experience and wrote The Game of Your Life. Despite it including the pregnancy reveal it was actually a good episode for the women. I am cautiously optimistic for tonight. 

Maggie really needed “I want to live”  moment. It would have been better if she made that decision during the drive back with Delilah. That would have made it clear that she was choosing treatment based on coming to terms with her brothers death. It also would have made more sense for her to be at the party to tell Gary she changed her mind. Of course that would mean that the drive was about something other than Delilah. 

This x 10.  :)

• Love 1

I kept thinking Maggie would let on about chemo by fainting or running to bathroom, until Gary said his car was new. Then it was a waiting moment for the vomit.  I'm hoping her character gets more growth next season.

On 12/8/2018 at 9:54 PM, Whimsy said:

I’m mostly confused why Regina asked Rome if he wanted her to call “the super” and then later his father said he was a “home owner”.  Are they in a condo or house?  If it’s a condo, do condos have “supers”?  I really don’t know. We’ve only ever owned a single family home. 

I live in a large Condominium in NYC. The building has handymen and a resident manager. I would call one of them to fix the sink unless the work was so extensive that it required an outside plumber. 

• Love 3

I like Katherine and Grace Park, but she’s way too saintly continuing to hang out with these people.

Also, the law firm stuff drives me nuts.  They’re not going to let her never work 6-8 if she turns down partner and continues to be an associate, either!  You wouldn’t make that ultimatum, you’d just become partner and start taking that time on any days without a legit filing emergency.... and make the associates cover for that time.   Ugh, so inaccurate.  

I only like Delilah when she’s being nice to Maggie.