Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
garnetarden

S06.E08: The Living Room: A 100% True Story

Barry realizes that as a future doctor, he should be more concerned about Murray’s health, so he enlists the Jenkintown Posse and Coach Mellor to help get his father in shape. Meanwhile, Beverly is horrified to learn that Erica and Adam don’t want any of the priceless heirlooms in her fancy, never-really-used living room.

Original Airdate: November 28, 2018

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Have we EVER seen the living room before?

No. I was shocked to see that this room existed, but to know that the bordello couch was real? Oy. 

This episode hit home with both storylines. My MIL thinks that we want all her “treasures.”  When Bev started guilting the kids, I was yelling “stay strong” at the tv. And Barry’s concern for Murray’s health was touching. I loved this episode. 

• Like 19

Matt encouraging Barry while the rest of the JTP recoiled in border was fantastic. I hope Barry ultimately acknowledges the positive influence Matt has on him as a person. I appreciated the earnest talk coming in the second act instead of just the third, like usual.

Murray "breaking" Mellor was fantastic too. Damn, he's sly.

• Like 16

I loved how they showed the real couch at the end and the discussion with the mom. I also liked Barry and his dad walking together. 

• Like 13

9 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

No. I was shocked to see that this room existed, but to know that the bordello couch was real? Oy. 

This episode hit home with both storylines. My MIL thinks that we want all her “treasures.”  When Bev started guilting the kids, I was yelling “stay strong” at the tv. And Barry’s concern for Murray’s health was touching. I loved this episode. 

My MIL is the same, she keeps thinking all her kids and grandkids wants her stuff, and we rather have it burn to the ground. She tries guilting everyone and it worked maybe 8 years ago. Now its: "Throw the crap out, mom!"

• Like 7

The BowFlex first came out in 1986 and were very expensive ($500+?) and I believe you had to order them directly from the company. 

• Like 5

I think I'm over this show. Every episode has become the same: a kid(s) being a complete jerk to one or both parents, hurting the mom's feelings and Bev forgiving at the end. Throw in Erica's subpar singing and that is the show every single week. I feel like this has been going on for the last two seasons, at least.  At this point, the only part I look forward to is seeing the original footage at the end.

• Like 10

Every time they cut to those creepy owls and made that screech sound, I cracked up. They remind me of this creepy stuffed eagle killing a stuffed squirrel that was at my moms work for years when I was a kid. One of her co-workers bought it, and just loved it so much he wanted to show it at work, and no one had the heart to tell him it was terrifying. I feel like that story about Beverly pretending to be a science teacher to get her ugly owls home from London is totally true. 

That couch really was...something. Loved seeing the real one, with real Beverly still trying to sell it! Weird that we have never seen the living room before, but it totally seems like something Beverly would do. My dad is the collector in my family, he has a freaking mountain of random crap that my sister and I can look forward to getting one day. So great. 

The Murray story was good too. Murray, you sly devil you. And Barry actually trying to be honest was sweet, despite the JTP screaming for him to stop. Except for Matt Bradley, the poor, often overlooked, voice of logic. Matt Bradley is the best thing thats happened to you in years, Barry!

• Like 16

My mother collects Precious Moments figurines. She has so many. She is convinced that we will want them when she dies. So Bev's attitude rang true for me. My kids are lucky in the sense that I am poor and everything I own is from Ikea and they do not have to take any of it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, EdnasEdibles said:

My mother collects Precious Moments figurines. She has so many. She is convinced that we will want them when she dies. So Bev's attitude rang true for me. My kids are lucky in the sense that I am poor and everything I own is from Ikea and they do not have to take any of it. 

Fortunately my mother already knows how creepy I find her collection of dolls.

• Like 5

Yay! No more Erica singing.

Funny enough is that my mom's items she refuses to give up are Christmas decorations she had when we were kids. It seems like Christmas grows each year when she doesn't give away one item that is Christmas or her mother's furniture. Understandable. 

Always great to see Jonathan Schmock as the auctioneer in this episode.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I was yelling “stay strong” at the tv. And Barry’s concern for Murray’s health was touching. I loved this episode. 

Agreed.  I don't have much to add, but I thought this was one of the better episodes.

I did like Barry's concern for Murray, but it is really stretching credibility that this character (Barry) is going to become a doctor (let alone a good one).  He calls triglycerides "tetracyclops".

Another thing that seemed like a contradiction:  Bev didn't trust the kids to step foot in the living room, but wanted them to go in there and put stickers on the furniture they wanted.

• Like 9

So was the real Adam sobbing when he watched this back with the parts with Barry’s concern with Murray’s ability to grow old?  Just me?  Ok.

I don’t have time for more TV but dammit I am interested in Schooled.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

So was the real Adam sobbing when he watched this back with the parts with Barry’s concern with Murray’s ability to grow old?  Just me?  Ok.

Wow, I hadn't even thought of that.  It's never occurred to me before that Murray has passed away (in 2008).  That does put the episode in a more poignant light.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I don’t have time for more TV but dammit I am interested in Schooled.

Of all the shows on TV, I hadn't considered the Goldbergs for a spinoff.  But I will give it a chance.  Does this have any effect on Barry and Laney getting married?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Funny enough is that my mom's items she refuses to give up are Christmas decorations she had when we were kids. It seems like Christmas grows each year when she doesn't give away one item that is Christmas or her mother's furniture.

I'm like that. There is 50 year old tinsel wrapped around the door in my living room right now. It used to belong to my great grandparents. And little baubles made of foil cones that were theirs on my tree. Also on my tree I have threadbare, formerly flocked, plastic Santa bears and wooden geese that used to belong to my paternal grandparents. I've been collecting my own decorations since I was a kid in the 80s and they have moved with me and are all in my house now. I would like it if my son or any kids he has want them one day. I love them because they remind me of the wonderful Christmases I had with my relatives, so if my descendants want them it'll mean they had wonderful Christmases with me.

I guess that's part of the thing with Beverley's furniture. People get attached to the emotion of objects (as she was). But if her kids were never allowed in her room of prized possessions, how could they possibly ever want them. They're meaningless to them.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Wow, I hadn't even thought of that.  It's never occurred to me before that Murray has passed away (in 2008).  That does put the episode in a more poignant light.

Of all the shows on TV, I hadn't considered the Goldbergs for a spinoff.  But I will give it a chance.  Does this have any effect on Barry and Laney getting married?

I don't think so because there appears to be cute guy in her scenes which screams potential love interest.

Any episode that has JTP in it, is always a win for me. Poor Matt's horrified reaction by the others unhealthy relationships with their fathers.

Edited by nilyank
  • Like 5

We're 6 seasons in, we've been all of this house, the school, and the town but we've never seen this room let alone knew it even existed? 

Schooled looks funny. I think it has potential.

• Like 1

This episode reminded me of all the Hummel figurines we've inherited that are currently gathering dust. I'll give them a pass on the living room because fighting by hurling taxidermy owls is funny. And yes, every plot is some variation of "parent/kid hurts parent/kid's feelings, feels like a dick (complete with that one shot every goddamn episode pre-apology scene where the Jerk of the Episode looks crestfallen after a cutting one-liner from Hurt Character), then apologizes. But as someone who's probably only watched since S4...was it ever not like that?

I'm so confused by the Schooled timeline. Is it supposed to be set early/mid 90s? Because Laney would have to stop being a dropout and do 4 years of college. I like Laney, but is she really important or popular enough for a spinoff? Has she ever expressed interest in teaching? It just seems like a really cheap way to squeeze a show out of recycling the school set and giving the teacher cast an extra check. Plus it seems likely that the Goldbergs and Barry won't be included, which is awkward with the engagement. But, her new love interest is apparently Brett Dier (Micheal from Jane The Virgin), who is an astronomical step up from Barry. Strange that they would even bother with the engagement after their dramatic final breakup only to turn around and write it off for the spinoff.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

This episode reminded me of all the Hummel figurines we've inherited that are currently gathering dust. I'll give them a pass on the living room because fighting by hurling taxidermy owls is funny. And yes, every plot is some variation of "parent/kid hurts parent/kid's feelings, feels like a dick (complete with that one shot every goddamn episode pre-apology scene where the Jerk of the Episode looks crestfallen after a cutting one-liner from Hurt Character), then apologizes. But as someone who's probably only watched since S4...was it ever not like that?

I'm so confused by the Schooled timeline. Is it supposed to be set early/mid 90s? Because Laney would have to stop being a dropout and do 4 years of college. I like Laney, but is she really important or popular enough for a spinoff? Has she ever expressed interest in teaching? It just seems like a really cheap way to squeeze a show out of recycling the school set and giving the teacher cast an extra check. Plus it seems likely that the Goldbergs and Barry won't be included, which is awkward with the engagement. But, her new love interest is apparently Brett Dier (Micheal from Jane The Virgin), who is an astronomical step up from Barry. Strange that they would even bother with the engagement after their dramatic final breakup only to turn around and write it off for the spinoff.

The thing to remember is that ultimately, The Goldbergs is based off of true stories. Real life Barry doesn't marry Lainey, so he won't in the show. For the same reason, Jackie hasn't been written off because real Jackie was Adam's real life long term girlfriend. Anyway, I was just glad there was no singing.

I have so many hummels and so much furniture with my name on it that it isn't even funny. I have no idea what I will do with all of that stuff when the time comes! Every time I visit, family tries to pawn off old sweaters on me that are older than I am! No! I don't want your crap! 

Also, I love Matt Bradley.

Edited by Tvshipper
  • Like 5

On 11/30/2018 at 1:35 PM, Tvshipper said:

The thing to remember is that ultimately, The Goldbergs is based off of true stories. Real life Barry doesn't marry Lainey, so he won't in the show.

Okay, I didn't know what happened with Barry, so that's good to know.  Too bad in a way, because I've enjoyed their getting back together.

I can see five years from now, I might be watching Schooled, Young Sheldon, and whatever they call Sue's spinoff from The Middle.  All spinoffs of sitcoms that I like. 

• Like 2

That was one tacky sofa that wouldn’t work anywhere but I can see it more easily in the huge gorgeous 1920s Tudor of the real Goldberg’s than the generic suburban tv version home.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 4:07 PM, Robert Lynch said:

Always great to see Jonathan Schmock as the auctioneer in this episode.

Every. Single. Time. I see him in anything, I say (usually out loud) "It's the Squiggy of Double Trouble!" Which reminds me, the show has mentioned Square Pegs, but have they mentioned other shows everyone else forgot (Double Trouble, It's Your Move, It's Garry Shandling's Show)? 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, rmontro said:

whatever they call Sue's spinoff from The Middle.  All spinoffs of sitcoms that I like. 

Unfortunately ABC did not pick up  Sue Sue in the City, which I'd much rather watch than some lame show about the least interesting character on the Goldbergs.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Unfortunately ABC did not pick up  Sue Sue in the City, which I'd much rather watch than some lame show about the least interesting character on the Goldbergs.

I know, right?

I don't mind Lainey though.  But I'd rather see almost any character from the Middle with a spinoff than almost any character on the Goldbergs.  It was just a much better show, IMO.

• Like 5

On 11/29/2018 at 11:12 AM, juliet73 said:

I think I'm over this show. Every episode has become the same: a kid(s) being a complete jerk to one or both parents, hurting the mom's feelings and Bev forgiving at the end. Throw in Erica's subpar singing and that is the show every single week. I feel like this has been going on for the last two seasons, at least.  At this point, the only part I look forward to is seeing the original footage at the end.

So Im not the only one that thinks that Erica is barely a singer...well honestly I cringe when she sings but yet she is supposedly a singer in real life??

• Like 2

When I was a kid in the 70s, I had some friends whose Mom had a living room that was Off-Limits to us all.  She had all this old-looking, probably expensive, furniture in there as well as lots of bric-brac and knick-knacks (i.e.-seemingly useless stuff), and she kept the room in pristine condition at all times.  I remember we would go over there and just lay on the floor in the hallway, looking in to this fancy room and wanting to run in there SO BADLY, just because we weren't supposed to! LOL

FWIW, I think Erica is a very good singer (but her band storyline is getting old).

• Like 1