Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Chapter Forty-One: Manhunter

• Start Topic

Alice has always been a fount of terrible decisions. She's had like 1.7 half decent parental decisions since the beginning, one of which was sharing what happened when the gang 1.0 was getting high and playing G&G 20 years ago. I think knowing how quickly Betty can slip into "Dark Betty Mode" when she wants to explore something, the better play is just to lay out the facts for Betty and cut  that impulse off at the knees.

22 hours ago, Al D said:

I absolutely love how every little thing is linked to the G&G game, it rounds everything off and personally I love a focused but wacky story line a hell of a lot more than loads of random ones that have no link. Everything about the game is intertwined into Riverdale, like the game IS Riverdale. Someone specifically created this game about Riverdale and everything that happens in it, now I dunno about everyone else but to me that's extremely interesting and well thought out.

I really don't think the Gargoyle King will be any of the parents the show just likes to give feelers to try and get you to question everyone and everything. Also I don't think the writers are trying to force the viewers to like anyone - I love all the scenes with the parents because they're all so terrible

Warning Sabrina spoilers

Spoiler

So I'm half convinced that the G&G game, the deaths, the cult, and the Gargoyle King are actually a very elaborate Greendale 13 curse for Riverdale's part in the Greendale Massacre. They are just across the Sweetwater River from each other. The curse forces Riverdale to play out once a generation what kind of happens with the Church of the Night, but in a sketchier trashy more destructive way. The Gargoyle King is like a hillbilly version of the Academy of the Unseen Art's Baphomet statue. The game and ascension is the Riverdale version of pledging yourself to the Dark Lord, Dark Baptism, and signing the Book of the Beast. And it makes some sense that the Riverdale's approximation of that would just be that trashy. This is a town that had children formally running a massive Jingle Jangle trafficking operation out of a high school, where cousins from two prominent families get into a sexual relationship, where a father can murder his son, not feel too bad about, and just replace his son with another red-headed kid, and the Blossoms can adopt Penelope and raise her, so that she can later marry her brusband (brother/husband), Cliff.

• Love 3

They should have locked up Veronica in the SoQM instead of Betty so Ronnie will stop blabbing the plans to Hiram.

Joaquin getting killed was disappointing. Kevin had more chemistry with him than anyone else, and his death was rather pointless. I almost hope Riverdale goes supernatural just so they can bring him back.

I think Josie deserved to be the one to tell off Marty Mantle after her tiein comic story with him and Reggie last year, but the show writers never give her much. Then again, Betty saying it to the world's worst parents instead of the police or someone else useful was sort of a flashy move that sounded good but accomplished nothing and probably pissed the guy off to do further violence, so maybe it's just as well.

7 hours ago, redfence said:

They should have locked up Veronica in the SoQM instead of Betty so Ronnie will stop blabbing the plans to Hiram.

Joaquin getting killed was disappointing. Kevin had more chemistry with him than anyone else, and his death was rather pointless. I almost hope Riverdale goes supernatural just so they can bring him back.

I think Josie deserved to be the one to tell off Marty Mantle after her tiein comic story with him and Reggie last year, but the show writers never give her much. Then again, Betty saying it to the world's worst parents instead of the police or someone else useful was sort of a flashy move that sounded good but accomplished nothing and probably pissed the guy off to do further violence, so maybe it's just as well.

Veronica and Archie both have that in common, talking to Hiram about their big plans. Remember the season 2 finale when Archie showed up to Hiram’s office and said “I know what you did...” etc and Hiram then got him arrested the next day. And Veronica does the same things. Also again as I said, she keeps choosing to bring things back to the apartment that she shares with her evil parents. Also Veronica will probably be there next season. Seems like this show will always find a way to use that set.

6 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Veronica and Archie both have that in common, talking to Hiram about their big plans. Remember the season 2 finale when Archie showed up to Hiram’s office and said “I know what you did...” etc and Hiram then got him arrested the next day.

I wonder if having a dumb nemesis is slowly lowering Hiram's ability to be a super villain. Like, maybe before this show started, he was actually a criminal mastermind, but now he's so used to having Archie and Veronica tell him all their plans that he's losing his ability to scheme.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, SourK said:

I wonder if having a dumb nemesis is slowly lowering Hiram's ability to be a super villain. Like, maybe before this show started, he was actually a criminal mastermind, but now he's so used to having Archie and Veronica tell him all their plans that he's losing his ability to scheme.

I mean.. yeah.. all his adversaries now are teenagers. Jughead. Archie. His own daughter. And I guess Betty but not so directly as the other three.  

And he wasn’t in jail for embezzlement? I mean now he’s legit fighting teenagers. And it’s super sad because he is somewhat successful(he did get Archie in jail for a little and a fighting ring), but it’s.. teenagers.

Also isn’t he like opening up a prison and has his hands in that brothel from last season?

On 11/30/2018 at 11:52 AM, WhosThatGirl said:

I see more of friendship with Lili and KJs playing of Betty and Archie.

I definitely see the show teasing something more from time to time. Throughout season one, mid-season 2, sometimes it’s subtle, sometimes it’s not. I think KJ said it best in an interview: either the writers will do something with it or they won’t. They did it in such a way where they could go whatever route and it’d make sense either way, IMO. I’m speaking solely about story on the canvas, not fan reaction. Not really interested in that, lol.

Well. I hope they do nothing with it and for me when they do try to make it romantic it doesn’t feel subtle. That’s just my perception. It feels like when they do it, they are definitely doing it to keep the Barchie shippers interested. Which.. fine. I mean people need things to hang onto but it feels but it doesn’t feel subtle to me at all. Again. Just me.

Also as I said I hope they don’t not just because of Bughead  for the friendship aspect. I just feel like it would ruin the friendships, between Betty and Veronica, Archie and Jughead. I just am not really going to like watching a romantic musical chairs thing and I know a lot of shows do this and I’m sorry but that does ruin aspects of shows for me. That’s one thing I loved that another famous teen show The OC never did and it was a good idea. 

21 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

That’s one thing I loved that another famous teen show The OC never did and it was a good idea. 

I totally get your overall point, I just disagree. I don’t mind a change in pairings, even with friends, especially on a teen show. IMO, it should never be that serious with kids where it’s like they’re all practically married.  The OC is also a formula I wouldn’t replicate overall either. It flamed out after one season and then they killed off a main character because they wanted to please the character’s haters on an online fan forum. It’s literally a case study of what not to do, lol. Well, if you want your show to last more than 3.5 seasons. 

Edited by HeatLifer

Eh we can agree to disagree. I just think it would ruin and mess up the friends. I don’t mind the characters dating outside of their core four group just not within. Again agree to disagree. Also I thought the OC had two great seasons and they killed off a main character due to the actress wanted to leave  as well as other things I believe. I also thought the 4th season was really good.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Eh we can agree to disagree. I just think it would ruin and mess up the friends. I don’t mind the characters dating outside of their core four group just not within. Again agree to disagree. Also I thought the OC had two great seasons and they killed off a main character due to the actress wanted to leave  as well as other things I believe. I also thought the 4th season was really good.

I’m so OT right now, but it wasn’t her choice. It was a creative decision to attempt to revive the show. Which....didn’t work, although I’m sure there are people who liked it, but the show was canceled soon after. This is a really good interview with  the creator.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_3705457

Edited by HeatLifer
1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

I’m so OT right now, but it wasn’t her choice. It was a creative decision to attempt to revive the show. Which....didn’t work, although I’m sure there are people who liked it, but the show was canceled soon after. This is a really good interview with  the creator.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_3705457

Well I just remember when she was on dwts a few years ago she had said she had wanted to leave too. So that’s where I got it and I did enjoy season four. I’m in a boat by myself but I did.

Bakc to this show like I was saying I don’t mind archchie Veronica Betty and Jughead having other romantic relationships, I just would prefer if they didn’t have them with each other. Like I’m not interested as I said to watch a musical chair of romantic relationships between those four. 

Hell I would have been fine with Toni and Jughead if they had done it right last season but there did it kind of poorly and now Toni as a character is kind of a moot point and really only seems around to be Cheryl’s girlfriend. And also like I said they did it poorly last season and really only seemed to do it to cause a rise in the Bughead fandom before even really intoducing her character and again like I said.. now sadly she’s not even a character. She wasn’t even in this episode.

But yeah.. I just feel like the friendships would be strained. So yes I want them too to explore other romantic relationships, I just don’t want it to be within the core four but I’m pretty sure that’s going to happen at some point, at least for Barchie. And I don’t like it for all the reasons I stated. But I think I need to stop discussing it, at least for this episode.

As for the next episode, it really does seem like Varchie is done on both ends. At first In the promo, it looked more like Archie and just Veronica possibly being flirty but people on instagram pointed out in the promo she is no longer wearing the necklace Archie got her, so I think it’s done on her end too. I think while she was sad during the last line of the phone call, she’s probably more angry, her “if you loved me, you would come home!” 

Also.. something has to come with the FP thing. I know it might just be a homage to scream but like I said that whole moment in bettys bedroom felt staged and the way fp looked at Betty when he was hugging Alice was super strange and creepy. It makes me wonder if he’s up in the cult too. I wouldn’t be surprised. He’s all happy that it makes Alice rekindle their (non) relationship from high-school And is ignoring all the red flags about it because of this.  But that’s where his priorities are, I guess. 

And I don’t know what to make of the SOQM art students all drawing pictures of the g and g king. I don’t really get it.. I haven’t said much on it because that means that the sisters has been tied to this game forever too. Just like Riverdale has, apparently, as Jughead said. 

I also love Alice said the sisters helped her, which they didn’t? Alice had her child there right and then that child didn’t have such a great experience and ending up doing drugs and dying(at least that’s what we were told). And saved Polly.. which it also didn’t. Polly ran away, but I guess because she and Polly are now in this cult, I guess it did to her? It’s just hilarious because SOQM just seems to have terrible outcomes. 

Also I forget and don’t feel like rewatching but Alice said that she and pollly were going to stay at the farm, did she mention the twins at all? We haven’t seen them since the first episode this season, have we? Nor have they been mentioned since the 2nd one when betty asked about that. I’m kind of curious if this show really did throw the babies in the fire. I mean yeah this show is dark... but where are they? 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

Well, at least you'll be happy to know WTG that I also thought s4 of the oc was pretty good! A bit weird towards the end but it was a good ending of the show... It might've gotten a chance to survive had the actress stayed on the show but S3 was a bit weak. 

Anywho... 

9 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Bakc to this show like I was saying I don’t mind archchie Veronica Betty and Jughead having other romantic relationships, I just would prefer if they didn’t have them with each other. Like I’m not interested as I said to watch a musical chair of romantic relationships between those four. 

I think if one of the core 4 should leave the show, they might have an attempt of a musical chair and as long as it's done tastefully, I might jump on the boat but my personal expectations and doubts are pretty high... I think if they'd wanted to have something like that, they would've done that by now and I think no one has given any type of indication to have something like that... 

Hell I would have been fine with Toni and Jughead if they had done it right last season but there did it kind of poorly and now Toni as a character is kind of a moot point and really only seems around to be Cheryl’s girlfriend. And also like I said they did it poorly last season and really only seemed to do it to cause a rise in the Bughead fandom before even really intoducing her character and again like I said.. now sadly she’s not even a character. She wasn’t even in this episode.

So true, they're not giving her justice... I don't think she's meant to be in the next episodes, probably will reappear after the xmas break... And yeah, I'd like to see more than just being by Cheryl... 

Also.. something has to come with the FP thing. I know it might just be a homage to scream but like I said that whole moment in bettys bedroom felt staged and the way fp looked at Betty when he was hugging Alice was super strange and creepy. It makes me wonder if he’s up in the cult too. I wouldn’t be surprised. He’s all happy that it makes Alice rekindle their (non) relationship from high-school And is ignoring all the red flags about it because of this.  But that’s where his priorities are, I guess. 

What the fuck are those two hiding? Are they still playing GG? Are they in the Farm? IS FP covering up something that Alice did? 

I'm sooo disappointed because Falice is soooo toxic, I'm just heartbroken! 

ke rewatching but Alice said that she and pollly were going to stay at the farm, did she mention the twins at all? We haven’t seen them since the first episode this season, have we? Nor have they been mentioned since the 2nd one when betty asked about that. I’m kind of curious if this show really did throw the babies in the fire. I mean yeah this show is dark... but where are they? 

The babies were going to the farm as well, Alice did mention them..

I won't start with Alice sending her girls to thw sisters... If shes gotten into her head that it might help them despite what she/everyone knows, she'll fucking do it... And Betty was getting way too nosey and needed to be shut up... Imagine alice sent her there only so betty doesn't find out some terrible secret?!?! Gah!!! 

this show... 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, PeekaBoo said:

Well, at least you'll be happy to know WTG that I also thought s4 of the oc was pretty good! A bit weird towards the end but it was a good ending of the show... It might've gotten a chance to survive had the actress stayed on the show but S3 was a bit weak. 

Anywho... 

I think if one of the core 4 should leave the show, they might have an attempt of a musical chair and as long as it's done tastefully, I might jump on the boat but my personal expectations and doubts are pretty high... I think if they'd wanted to have something like that, they would've done that by now and I think no one has given any type of indication to have something like that... 

So true, they're not giving her justice... I don't think she's meant to be in the next episodes, probably will reappear after the xmas break... And yeah, I'd like to see more than just being by Cheryl... 

What the fuck are those two hiding? Are they still playing GG? Are they in the Farm? IS FP covering up something that Alice did? 

I'm sooo disappointed because Falice is soooo toxic, I'm just heartbroken! 

The babies were going to the farm as well, Alice did mention them..

I won't start with Alice sending her girls to thw sisters... If shes gotten into her head that it might help them despite what she/everyone knows, she'll fucking do it... And Betty was getting way too nosey and needed to be shut up... Imagine alice sent her there only so betty doesn't find out some terrible secret?!?! Gah!!! 

this show... 

Thanks, I missed hearing about Alice mentioning the twins were going to the farm too!

But yeah falice is doing something bad. Everything about that scene felt so staged, by both Alice and FP. I won’t however put it past the show to make nothing come out of that and to just leave it as a homage to scream but that would be dumb, given that the choice SU made to be extra creepy to Betty in the scene was an odd choice of its goof nowhere. I was hoping Falice was going to be a flash and not lasting as long as it has. I don’t quite understand why people are into this relationship. It’s not good and there’s nothing to base it on. Even as teenagers, it wasn’t even a relationship- at least not from the clips I’ve seen , so I’m not sure why all of a sudden they’re  acting like they were star crossed lovers now. 

Also yes my guess is Alice sent Betty there to stop looking into things. Alice is a lying liar who lies. And here’s the thing, I know some people enjoy the terribleness of certain characters but it’s getting kind of old. I find it interesting that people think Alice was decent in season two and I’m always like she was? She was terrible then too. That’s getting really old to me. It would be more interesting if she was actually on Betty’s side for once. Also it’s super awful that out of her kids she never chooses Betty once. She has chosen Faux chic and Polly over Betty.

• Love 1