Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E10: Tribal Lines are Blurred

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I was already pretty much out of love for Gabby but this interview just cements it.  Nobody is criticizing her for crying, people are annoyed because she cries WAY more than any grown adult should. Stressful situation or not, there have been 37 seasons of people who haven't sobbed hysterically so often. There's crying, and then there's crying all the time in situations where adults should be able to handle their emotions without completely losing their shit. 

Speaking as someone who would have been carted out by men in white coats after one night on the bamboo, had I not immediately torn a ligament getting off the boat, etc - it's not the fact she cries hysterically at the drop of a hat that bothers me, it's that she rarely makes the usual instinctive effort to even partially cover her face.

Anyway, now that she's not laughing ruefully at her weepy edit and instead making it into some moral superiority thing I am a bit more off her than I was after the last episode, which I've finally calmed down about.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

Nobody is criticizing her for crying, people are annoyed because she cries WAY more than any grown adult should. Stressful situation or not, there have been 37 seasons of people who haven't sobbed hysterically so often. There's crying, and then there's crying all the time in situations where adults should be able to handle their emotions without completely losing their shit. 

YMMV but I just don't see evidence of this. We see her crying maybe two minutes an episode, if that? She's obviously being edited as a 'cryer' - maybe those are the only times she cries in those three days. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount to cry, and it's possible plenty of players have cried more but it's been left out of the 43 minutes of footage we get.

And most of it is less 'sobbing hysterically' (which I've never actually seen her do, I don't think) and more speaking to someone and getting a bit worked up and involuntarily teary. She gets emotional, sure, but it's not that 'losing her shit'.

I think there's something about seeing someone cry that makes us uncomfortable, and I get it, but I feel like a lot of this is really getting blown out of proportion. 

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I sorta agree with Gabby (in a soft voice). Why does it bother people? Some people cry & others don’t. If someone  doesn’t cry you’re okay with them? Why? Granted, others might have cried and we didn’t see it. They chose to show Gabby crying a lot. They showed Carl crying a few times but I think he was always by himself. He probably didn’t want people to see him cry. Wonder why? I love that we all have our own opinions on previously.tv. 

This. It's her edit.

And as well as crying she is actually making moves and playing the game. She has an emotional moment, lets it out and then gets on with what she has to do, even if it's hard. I'd rather watch Gabby have a little cry every episode and then vote out her threats than someone like Laurel who just talked and talked and talked about moves and didn't do anything. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I sorta agree with Gabby (in a soft voice). Why does it bother people?  ...

Because:

1. She is trying to guilt others out.
  2. It is as uncomfortable as being around a couple who is fighting in front of you and wants you to pick a side in the argument or as annoying as a baby screaming and crying for 6 straight hours on an airplane flight with the parents seemingly totally oblivious to the fact their kid is even making a sound at all.  All three things are annoying and awkward and drive a lot of us UP THE WALL.
  3. It is "all about me me me" all the time 24/7.
  4. It is passive aggressive the way Gabby does it.
  5. A lot of people do NOT enjoy baby sitting which is basically what Christian has to do all the time.

And others have said that other Survivors cry at times.  yes ... at times.  Not constantly over nothing.  Yes the show is edited but if someone is edited as always crying it is because that is what they do all the time.  Just like someone who is highly paranoid is shown being paranoid on screen.  Or someone who is a klutz is shown tripping and falling in the episodes a lot.  Editors tend to edit towards the strongest characteristic a contestant on a reality show manifests.  Don't cry on a dime 24/7 and you won't be shown crying on TV.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Mark2 said:

Gabby:

"...I believe being able to cry that convincingly on demand would actually make me a psychopath.

If this is true, I hope all of Hollywood is watching their backs around that psychopath Meryl Streep and every other actor who can cry on cue.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MissEwa said:

YMMV but I just don't see evidence of this. We see her crying maybe two minutes an episode, if that? She's obviously being edited as a 'cryer' - maybe those are the only times she cries in those three days. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount to cry, and it's possible plenty of players have cried more but it's been left out of the 43 minutes of footage we get.

And most of it is less 'sobbing hysterically' (which I've never actually seen her do, I don't think) and more speaking to someone and getting a bit worked up and involuntarily teary. She gets emotional, sure, but it's not that 'losing her shit'.

I think there's something about seeing someone cry that makes us uncomfortable, and I get it, but I feel like a lot of this is really getting blown out of proportion. 

This. It's her edit.

And as well as crying she is actually making moves and playing the game. She has an emotional moment, lets it out and then gets on with what she has to do, even if it's hard. I'd rather watch Gabby have a little cry every episode and then vote out her threats than someone like Laurel who just talked and talked and talked about moves and didn't do anything. 

Yes I agree and this applies to pretty much everyone else in the game as well.  The editors show what they want to show us and what they show us is not the whole story.

• Love 1

All things considered, I just flat out love Gabby. I think I will love her until the day I die and anything she wants to do will be just A-OK with me. Gabby? Cry me a river if you like or do not cry at all if you like. I will be happy if I can just marvel at your beautiful ears. I fell in love with you the instant I first laid eyes on those ears. They are God's finest creation - the pinnacle of His wondrous abilities. Of course, those ears are only a tiny reason for the way I feel about you. When I heard you say, "We must take agency in this game", and later "...... even more cognizant of the fact ......", I fell right off my chair. I mean, who uses language like that besides me and some of the other eggheads here? That was it!  The issue was settled for me. Not only are you cute as a button, but you are also smart as a whip. Tell me though, how do you feel about cliches?  How's about bad jokes? OK. I better go now.

ETA: There is a great mid-season interview of Gabby here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-david-goliath-gabby-crying-drama-carl-blindside-more-1165698

Edited by MisterBluxom
On 29/11/2018 at 2:47 AM, KimberStormer said:

Although she is friends with Adam Klein and is therefore my sworn enemy, I don't wish this humiliation on her.

Oops, sorry, I don't think I know how this works. I'm really stoned; to be honest, I'm usually stoned every time I post here. Trust me, most of the things I post I surely hope everyone else knows just what the hell I'm posting. For instance, this version of The Silence of the Lambs is holy-shit. Holy shit, the other officers will be able to catch Catherine Martin. Holy shit, she just turned on the night-vision goggles!

• Love 2

Gabby is smart and articulate in the interview but I think voting out Carl was an error. Time will tell. She also notes how she felt left out, left behind behind the Davids, the jury wouldn't respect her game, without being terribly introspective as to why. She needs someone like Christian to help her, and she has made sure he is on her side. People won't respect the way she has done that. She has  not done much in the game other than the Carl ouster which may have been an error. 

I'm just not a fan.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 2

Don't go on Instagram right now in your current state, @HeShallBMySquishy. ;)

11 hours ago, LanceM said:

The editors show what they want to show us and what they show us is not the whole story.

Which is why I resent these mid-game interviews. I'm sure Gabby thinks she's not giving anything away, but she surely can't remember every piece of footage in the exact correct order. What if she's mentioned inadvertent spoilers? Is it a spoiler if you don't know it's a spoiler?

For example: Angelina posted a picture of herself at Carl's house or at some kind of get-together with Carl, when she and Carl had previously never interacted before in the history of ever. Other than one time where she rubbed Carl's back after a challenge, I can't recall them even having a conversation before this episode. Yet it was clear from that picture that they were close. So, did that sort of "spoil" the Angelina/Carl alliance, regardless of how short-lived it was? I know I thought of that post when I watched this episode, and I don't like to be spoiled.

So, they condone midseason interviews, they're fine with some contestants posting pics that spoil future relationships, yet other contestants get their hands slapped for violating social media rules? To me, the show is sort of talking out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to social media and what exactly constitutes "spoilers."

• Love 4

I am sure that there is a CBS Minder with them to make sure no spoilers are revealed in the interviews. 

I don’t think Gabby has a chance in hell of winning this game. I think she has been on the bottom of her alliance and her social game is weak. She has been helpful in tribal challenges but not good at the individual challenges. I think she has helped make some bigger moves, like Jessica and Carl, but otherwise has been left out of things. And I do think a part of that is that she struggles with the social game. But she knows that, she has mentioned it in some of her talking heads. 

As for the social media thing, I think Alec was the only one who posted anything early this year. The entire cast has been pretty quiet on twitter, mainly focusing comments on events that just happened. While the rules are fluid, it seems pretty clear that Production set down the rules and everyone, but Alec, followed them. 

21 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I sorta agree with Gabby (in a soft voice). Why does it bother people? Some people cry & others don’t. If someone  doesn’t cry you’re okay with them? Why? Granted, others might have cried and we didn’t see it. They chose to show Gabby crying a lot. They showed Carl crying a few times but I think he was always by himself. He probably didn’t want people to see him cry. Wonder why? I love that we all have our own opinions on previously.tv. 

Have you seen the mid-season interview that Gabby did in The Hollywood Reporter here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-david-goliath-gabby-crying-drama-carl-blindside-more-1165698

I would give credit to the person who first posted the above link. But the interview was so good that many people have now posted it and I have no idea who posted it first.

At any rate, if you haven't yet seen it, I'd like to recommend it to you. Gabby comes across as an extremely well-spoken and very intelligent lady. Seems to me that she knows and understands more about playing this game than most anyone and if only intelligence and knowledge will translate into winning the season (unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way), Gabby should have a real good chance to win this season. This interview makes it real clear that she feels her crying is in no way a sign of weakness. But instead it is a great source of comfort and strength for her. If you think about the plumbing in your home, if you clean it out (with a good cry) periodically, then it will be ready and able to handle you flushing all manner of stuff away with not problem. So, I would think that Gabby is fully flushed now and ready for the 2nd half of this season. I wish her all the best of luck and I sure do hope she wins. If not Gabby then at least someone who has been kind to her.  You go Gabby! Show them how it's done. Show them all!

ETA: Her crying is also a great source of strength in another way. I think it causes most everyone to under-estimate her. They may think of her as, "that poor unfortunate girl cries because she misses her family back home. But they fail to see she's as smart as a whip and when the time is right, they never see the lash of her whip when she makes her move and decapitates them (like she did to Carl).   Ain't she just wonderful?

Edited by MisterBluxom
19 hours ago, green said:

Don't cry on a dime 24/7 and you won't be shown crying on TV.

Exactly! I, personally, find the crying beyond irritating but what I think is bothering most people is the fact that Gabby complained about Carl calling her emotional. Basically, she whined that Carl described her, well, accurately.  You can't give an interview saying that you cry a lot but also whine that people say you're emotional. You can't have it both ways.  

Team AnyoneButGabby!

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 5

I'm also team AnyoneButGabby. She's using her "emotions" to manipulate. Whenever someone else has to alter their gameplay to constantly console you, it's too much. I absolutely can't stand passive agressive women and she personifies that. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

You can't give an interview saying that you cry a lot but also whine that people say you're emotional. You can't have it both ways.  

And then... also say you have compassion for people who don't express their emotions!

Everyone, almost every single player, gets a bit misty or wipes away a tear or has a good cry at some point on Survivor. What I find interesting is I never tear up in sympathy/empathy/human attunement as I watch Gabby cry/bawl/weep/wail/gurn/sob, over and over. Never.

To me her crying is histrionic, as well as often hysterical, and that suggests a manipulative personality whether the manipulating is conscious or unconsious. If she'd just said instead, 'Hey, I'm Italian, I can't help it' 'or "Yeah, I cry a lot' I'd be fine, but add this defensive, haughty, rather condescending response to the weeping, sobbing, wailing and the tears of fury.... And then encouraging her loyal protector to ruin his game to defend her wounded pride because she was called emotional and left out of a vote that she would have gotten yet more emotional about.... Sheesh.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Don't go on Instagram right now in your current state, @HeShallBMySquishy. ;)

Which is why I resent these mid-game interviews. I'm sure Gabby thinks she's not giving anything away, but she surely can't remember every piece of footage in the exact correct order. What if she's mentioned inadvertent spoilers? Is it a spoiler if you don't know it's a spoiler?

For example: Angelina posted a picture of herself at Carl's house or at some kind of get-together with Carl, when she and Carl had previously never interacted before in the history of ever. Other than one time where she rubbed Carl's back after a challenge, I can't recall them even having a conversation before this episode. Yet it was clear from that picture that they were close. So, did that sort of "spoil" the Angelina/Carl alliance, regardless of how short-lived it was? I know I thought of that post when I watched this episode, and I don't like to be spoiled.

So, they condone midseason interviews, they're fine with some contestants posting pics that spoil future relationships, yet other contestants get their hands slapped for violating social media rules? To me, the show is sort of talking out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to social media and what exactly constitutes "spoilers."

I think it has to do with the timing of when the picture is posted. The reason why Alec got in trouble was he posted a picture of him and Kara long before the season began.  Whereas that picture you are talking about which I assume was the one that also includes Natalia and Jessica was not posted until Carl was voted out of the game (Natalia and Jessica were already long out).  

20 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Whereas that picture you are talking about which I assume was the one that also includes Natalia and Jessica was not posted until Carl was voted out of the game

Nope, this was Angelina with Carl, John, and Adam Klein, playing Scrabble. It was at least a couple weeks ago ... right after John was voted out, I believe, because I remember thinking "Angelina and Carl?!" But it was an Instagram story, so maybe those escape CBS' watchful eyes.

And I realize with the Instagram platform, it's virtually impossible to police contestants' stories. Yet I'd argue Angelina spoiled a plot point much more than Alec did. What did a photo of Alec and Kara spoil, now that Alec is voted out? As others have said, they were on the same tribe.

My argument isn't Angelina is the worst (not this time!), it's more "if we're going to do these midseason interviews and let contestants post stories that spoil upcoming relationships, maybe we should lighten up on smacking down a contestant who probably spoiled less than Gabby or Angelina did up to this point."

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 2
(edited)

Mike White at first judging Carl and Davie for being stupid and ineffectual when they weren't in power "It's not like Carl and Davie are going to mount an insurrection" and then turning around and calling Carl "menacing" when he was in power a few episodes later.  Those are big, big dog whistles.  Asshole.

Carl's greatest love turned out to be his downfall (alcohol).  One of the greatest all time Survivor characters.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Mike White at first judging Carl and Davie for being stupid and ineffectual when they weren't in power "It's not like Carl and Davie are going to mount an insurrection" and then turning around and calling Carl "menacing" when he was in power a few episodes later.  Those are big, big dog whistles.  Asshole.

I forgot about that. Bit of a yikes lol.

• Love 1