Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Whimsy

S37.E10: Tribal Lines are Blurred

Recommended Posts

Angelina quoted Friday night lights at tribal! Clear eyes full hearts! I just can't dislike her for that!

Edited by elizacat
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Oh yes, I forgot to add: shut up, Dan.  Only Courtney gets to talk in the jury box, and that is because she's the fourth-wall breaking character that knows she's on a TV show, and doesn't give a shit about the game.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

The Hammock of Death claimed yet another victim

Whoa whoa whoa -- details, please! Is it this season or all seasons? And do you have to be sleeping in it, or just lying down? Lying down/sleeping has long been Edgic code for "doesn't win because too lazy" but maybe not this season? I did note that Nick was lying down, then opened his eyes and lifted his head, so who knows what that means?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, dizzyd said:

<snip>  I have to give it to this cast, they're quite eloquent.  <snip>

They may well be the best cast I've ever seen.  However, it's difficult to know where editing begins to get the credit and the "talent" or "skill" of the cast leaves off ( "talent" or "skill"  are the wrong words - would someone please tell me what is the correct word?)

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

had the idea there was some kind of Alec spoiler out there in the world and so for weeks I've been expecting him to go out like Beast Mode Cowboy did, and I was absolutely sure he was going to collapse during the epic challenge today.  Even when he didn't and stepped off, but Jeff was going on about how weird it was, I thought he was going to walk off to the beach and just fall down, or something.  But no!  And he kept trying!  I honestly thought his meat shield argument to Christian was really good!  And I was glad to see him go out in good spirits

That's exactly what I was thinking while Alec was battling it out with Christian. I wanted someone to stand beside the pole to catch him as he fell. That challenge looked absolutely agonizing. In addition to sunburn I feel like there had to be some kind of long term muscular damage to staying in that position for 5 hours. 

As for Christian, Stephen Fishbach describes him as a human comfort blanket. Not something I would associate with his personality, but as I said in a previous post, I love how people on Survivor, and in life really, are endlessly surprising. 

A previous poster commented on Davie's "black card" comments. I thought he was saying "black heart". Card makes more sense. Either way, I thought Davie was impressive yet likeable tonight. And yes, also surprising. At the beginning of the season, he seemed sort of good-natured and goofy. He's proving to be quite the stealth player. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, LanceM said:

 

Sure. But it is about what they are doing on the show out on the island. But even then we are not even getting close to the whole story. I just don't see how anything that happens on the island is indicative in any way shape or form of how this people behave outside the show or in the work place.

I think of Survivor as a little Microcosm of the work place that we get to observe from a distance, and that's why I love it so much

46 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I know Gabby has some growing to do. She is in her early 20’s and will probably learn from this. While Gabby does need to learn how to handle her frustration and tense situations a bit better, society needs to get over its perception of what tears mean. They are no different then venting, screaming, hitting something, or generally releasing emotion.

Right, and none of those things should be allowed in the work place.  One of my first jobs (age 19) the boss told us  all he would not tolerate crying on the job -- anyone who started to cry would be sent home.  Guess what?  No one cried. Yes, it is a perfectly normal emotion, but most of us learn to control it while in public and save it for our private moments.  I like Gabby and find her an interesting and pretty cast member, but she shouldn't expect to allow herself to cry all the time and still not be seen as "emotional." 

I loved the new rope walking challenge!  Allison, in particular, was hilarious. The show needs to find more new challenges like that -- also, please don't give people who threw up all night a nacho platter reward.

Nick is slowly becoming my favorite.  I loved his quiet little prayer of thanks for the beautiful day.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

<snip>

A previous poster commented on Davie's "black card" comments. I thought he was saying "black heart". Card makes more sense. Either way, I thought Davie was impressive yet likeable tonight. And yes, also surprising. At the beginning of the season, he seemed sort of good-natured and goofy. He's proving to be quite the stealth player. 

I am very sorry to keep on messing up this board with so many comments. But I truly felt the need to tell you how much I liked what you said and how much I must agree about Davie. I had the same thoughts and I was thinking it would be wonderful for someone to stand beside each of them - even if just to give them morale support. Know what I mean? 

Finally, I'm sorry to admit this but it seems like everyone knows what "meat shield" means.  But I don't know. How does a "meat shield" differ from a "goat"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Whoa whoa whoa -- details, please! Is it this season or all seasons? And do you have to be sleeping in it, or just lying down? Lying down/sleeping has long been Edgic code for "doesn't win because too lazy" but maybe not this season? I did note that Nick was lying down, then opened his eyes and lifted his head, so who knows what that means?

It has happened in several seasons, but the one I clearly remember was Andrea Boehlke.  She was lying in the Hammock of Death, with an ally, thinking she was in charge and got blindsided.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

<snip>

I loved the new rope walking challenge!  Allison, in particular, was hilarious. The show needs to find more new challenges like that -- also, please don't give people who threw up all night a nacho platter reward.

<snip>

Especially hilarious when she later referred to herself as a physical threat. But ... when you realize there are only 3 females remaining on the G tribe (Allison, Angelina and Kara), it's difficult to disagree that she is a serous physical threat out of all of them.   f

But, but, but, .... she could equally say that any of those 3 ladies are the biggest physical threats on their tribe ..... after all .... all three of them are easily the best (but also the worst) when it comes to a physical threat. So .... who's kidding whom?  At this stage of the game, it is just silly.

I am thinking that there does not really exist any serious physical threat out of all the remaining Gs.  But ... it still was way funny. They are a funny bunch. I just wish they were a honey bunch! Heh Heh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

Finally, I'm sorry to admit this but it seems like everyone knows what "meat shield" means.  But I don't know. How does a "meat shield" differ from a "goat"?

Goat is someone who cannot win, so you bring them to the end with you.  A meat shield is someone who can win, and who is good at challenges, so you bring them for awhile in order to distract the others and keep the target off of yourself -- as long as Joey Amazing is in the game, he's everyone's number one priority to vote out, not you.  You too will want to vote them out before the end, and you're taking a risk because they might immunity-win their way to the end and destroy you, but sometimes it's worth it if you would otherwise be a huge target.  In Second Chances, Jeremy famously used a meat shield strategy, keeping the bigger stronger men as part of his alliance so even though he has the body of a Greek god, he didn't look so much like a threat.

Alec was suggesting himself as a meat shield to Christian, because Christian is a huge character and obvious target who could probably do with having some higher-priority threats in the game.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Did Angelina happen to mention what she paid for her advanced course in negotiations at Yale?

Because I may not be as, you know, edumacated as Angelina but I'm pretty sure that being taught that offering up the entire camp and your future firstborn on the FIRST round is worthy of a refund.

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post

16 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

Goat is someone who cannot win, so you bring them to the end with you.  A meat shield is someone who can win, and who is good at challenges, so you bring them for awhile in order to distract the others and keep the target off of yourself -- as long as Joey Amazing is in the game, he's everyone's number one priority to vote out, not you.  You too will want to vote them out before the end, and you're taking a risk because they might immunity-win their way to the end and destroy you, but sometimes it's worth it if you would otherwise be a huge target.  In Second Chances, Jeremy famously used a meat shield strategy, keeping the bigger stronger men as part of his alliance so even though he has the body of a Greek god, he didn't look so much like a threat.

Alec was suggesting himself as a meat shield to Christian, because Christian is a huge character and obvious target who could probably do with having some higher-priority threats in the game.

Aha! That's very good to know. Thank you very much KimberStormer. I'm sending you a message to say something private.

Share this post


Link to post

After, was Alec and his Ponderosa I now realize what a typical surfer bro for Survivor is. LOL!!! He seems like a really nice guy. Although, I prefer dirty Alec to cleaned up Alec. He was rocking the beard. So far it's a very have bro jury + Elizabeth. The challenges were kind of boring without Alec. Usually, I hate when one person dominates the challenges but Alec was fun and gave 100%. Hopefully, he'll be asked back. Of course, he might have competition in the surfer bro archetype like Devon Pinto (among others) from Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Survivor isn’t a workplace, but the first season showed us how Hatch won by equating it to one. Get to know the people around you, their strengths and weaknesses. Play upon that, hone your social skills to get people on your team.

Carl forgot that and he was justly eliminated. He didn’t do a good job of reading the room. Gabby lost some points with me by the end of the show, she’s going to be a very bitter juror.

He didn't even bother trying to read the room.  He was too full of himself.  One good move (using the advantage) and suddenly he's Boston Rob ordering his minions around but without the charm and misting capabilities.

7 hours ago, nutty1 said:

I still think the Davids should have stuck together and got out the Goliaths, one by one. 

I can't believe tribes still make that mistake.  They were only up 1 person.  Even if you are up 5, you Pagong the other tribe first, because the first time you turn on your own, is the last time you have a solid alliance because trust is gone.

28 minutes ago, Kenzie said:

Did Angelina happen to mention what she paid for her advanced course in negotiations at Yale?

Because I may not be as, you know, edumacated as Angelina but I'm pretty sure that being taught that offering up the entire camp and your future firstborn on the FIRST round is worthy of a refund.

Yale called and asked that she stopped using them as a reference.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

Reminder: there is NO preview talk in episode threads.  Zero, Zilch, Nada.  ANY mention of the previews in your posts will cause the posts to be removed.  Previews can be discussed in the Preview & Speculation thread.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know when I laughed at Survivor as much as I laughed last night with Christian's story-time.  I don't even care if the reaction shots were mixed up by the editors to make people, especially Alec, look like it was driving them crazier than it was.  The only thing I can't figure out is how Christian talked for that long without getting more dehydrated than they already were!  Still the whole thing was just really funny.

I suspect that Carl was voted out for more than his "godfather" ways with his voting demands.  I wish they'd shown more of it but I thought it was really weird and not very smart that they had to negotiate and give up a lot at camp for more rice and Jeff warned them that what they would get would be just enough not a bounty of rice yet the first thing Carl did was decide for the group that they'd have a rice feast and cook extra.  He's hungry, we get that and even if it's just rice having a nice new big bag in front of you would be tempting but it's not something you can just demand and think the rest of the camp or even your alliance will go along with and it's not long-term-planning smart.  At the very least don't put the "annoy my camp mates" target on your back and ask or suggest instead of dictating.

Angelina - you may have learned how to negotiate but you may want to work on what to negotiate.  I'm not sure leading with "We'll give you everything" is how that works.  Was your starting offer to the dealership $10,000 over sticker price for your new car too?

Edited by sigmaforce86 · Reason: clarity
  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

I'm sorry Nash, but I can't go along with Christian hypnotizing Alec because ...

  Hide contents

Surely if Christian had used his massive brain power and memory to have hypnotized someone, he would have definitely made sure that everyone in this world knew all about it. He could never have let any opportunity pass by where he could have explained just how he used his superior IQ and skills to have accomplished some impressive deed.

 

 

Hey, Christian has to save something for his Final Tribal Council speech..... ;)

 

1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

The Hammock of Death claimed yet another victim.  When I saw Carl lying in it with Davie, totally confident that he was in total control, I knew he was doomed.

Moral of the story: when working for a million dollars, it’s best to not lay down on the job.  :>

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

It bothers me that wishy washy Alison was fine voting with some davids when the target was again another david. Really dont like her play overall and I hope she doesn't get credit for doing something daring bc it wasn't.

@elizacatI noticed that too! Angelina would be a good goat. She is the most transparent person I've ever seen with everthing she tries to do and thus terrible at it. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

Right, and none of those things should be allowed in the work place.  One of my first jobs (age 19) the boss told us  all he would not tolerate crying on the job -- anyone who started to cry would be sent home.  Guess what?  No one cried. Yes, it is a perfectly normal emotion, but most of us learn to control it while in public and save it for our private moments.  I like Gabby and find her an interesting and pretty cast member, but she shouldn't expect to allow herself to cry all the time and still not be seen as "emotional." 

I have cried at work, not often but a few times. Three that I can think of in the last 10 years. Long stories to each one of those. I am not thrilled that it happened but it did. I have seen others cry at work, and gone to check on them. I have seen people yell, scream, slam things out of frustration. It doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen. As long as it is not a regular thing, it is perfectly normal that stuff is going to happen that will lead to different releases. Some how or another, we, as a society, seem to be more comfortable with people yelling and slamming things then crying. I do suspect that it is a male vs female thing and I do think that we need to change how we view the tears.

Gabby is a young person in a high stress environment who is playing a pretty darn good game but it is being ignored because she cries when frustrated. Her comments to Christian were perfectly valid and 100% on point. Carl was bossing people around. Carl, and NIck and Davey, did not talk to Christian before securing the Alec or Alison vote. Carl was talking to Angelina and Kara before talking to Gabby. Carl was margalizing Gabby and had effectively removed her from the alliance. Nick and David were foolish because they allowed it to happen but I am not sure how they say to Carl, hey we need to talk to Gabby and Christian first. Two votes in a row, Carl dictated things and kept Gabby and Christian out of the loop. Christian handled it well and saw what was happening as it was happening and walked away knowing he had just lied to Carl.

Essentially, Carl was behaving like Angelina did with the first attempt to vote out Christian. Dan went to John and Alec and said "No, Elizabeth for this reason." and the vote changed.

Gabby needs to learn how to deal with those emotions in a more productive manner but Carl, and Angelina, needs to learn that they don't get to dictate other peoples moves. Carl got voted out because he was not good at building relationships outside of the people he was aligned with.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

The first hour was pretty boring since there was little suspense about who was going.  That IC was brutal though.  (All I could think of is that it looked like a crucifixion, ironic that Christian was the one who survived the longest.)  I have to hand it to Alec (and of course Christian) for hanging on as long as he did, knowing his fate was in his increasingly cramped hands.  Christian was hilarious with his hours long monologue to wear down Alec, but again it points out why he has to be voted out before he stands in front of the jury.

You know what happens when you keep a meat shield in the game too long?  He wins.

Even though Carl was becoming increasingly despotic, he was a much more interesting character than Alison.  She seems nice but is so bland.  Leave it to that idiot Mike to screw up another vote.  He even said that it was in his best interest to get rid of the stronger, better liked Alison and keep prickly Carl.  For the first time this season I'm interested in seeing a Ponderosa video, just to see how he interacts with the rest of the bootees.

I'm losing my tolerance for Gabby.  She alternates between weepy and smug.  I was kind of hoping Carl would stay just so she would lose the smug.

So Angelina's bargaining strategy is throwing in everything they have and hoping Jeff will go for it?  Good skills there, Ang.  Did they teach that at Yale?

Good for Davey and Nick for continuing to play hard.

Regarding serving alcohol at rewards, no one is forcing anyone to drink.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

It has happened in several seasons, but the one I clearly remember was Andrea Boehlke.  She was lying in the Hammock of Death, with an ally, thinking she was in charge and got blindsided.

The one I recall clearly was Savage.  My husband is only a casual viewer and walked thru the room as Savage was swinging in the hammock, holding court, thinking he was firmly in the driver's seat.  Hubby says, " He's going home tonight.  He's too comfortable". Lo and behold, Savage gets blindsided that night.  If I were ever to play Survivor, my superstitious ass would give hammocks a wide berth.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, cleo said:

I've occasionally come across other posters with confusing names. Alot of times a name is gender neutral, and could mean anything. I don't believe there is any rule. Can't assume anything on the Internet! 

My name is nothing special. I had two kittens and was going to name one Cleo. But it didn't fit her, so I started using it.

I always wonder if I went on Survivor if I would have the discipline to not gorge on food to the point of vomiting. I would definitely abstain from alcohol. 

It is so clear that indulgint in alcohol can be considered to be a "game killer". IOW ... indulging in even a small amount of alcohol on the island can cause you to behave like a drunk because you may do that on an empty stomach or you may do that after 10 or 20 days and who knows how you will react to a few drinks after having no alcohol for 10 or 20 days. You best make sure you know how your body will react. But - in general - the smart thing to do would be to avoid all alcohol completely while on the island. Drinking any amount whatsoever could easily cost you the million dollars. Is it worth it?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I suspect that Carl was voted out for more than his "godfather" ways with his voting demands.  I wish they'd shown more of it but I thought it was really weird and not very smart that they had to negotiate and give up a lot at camp for more rice and Jeff warned them that what they would get would be just enough not a bounty of rice yet the first thing Carl did was decide for the group that they'd have a rice feast and cook extra.  He's hungry, we get that and even if it's just rice having a nice new big bag in front of you would be tempting but it's not something you can just demand and think the rest of the camp or even your alliance will go along with and it's not long-term-planning smart.  At the very least don't put the "annoy my camp mates" target on your back and ask or suggest instead of dictating.

But the good news is, he who did not respect the "ration the rice" necessity is no longer there to pig out on the remaining rice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

11 minutes ago, Haleth said:

The first hour was pretty boring since there was little suspense about who was going.  That IC was brutal though.  (All I could think of is that it looked like a crucifixion, ironic that Christian was the one who survived the longest.)  I have to hand it to Alec (and of course Christian) for hanging on as long as he did, knowing his fate was in his increasingly cramped hands.  Christian was hilarious with his hours long monologue to wear down Alec, but again it points out why he has to be voted out before he stands in front of the jury.

You know what happens when you keep a meat shield in the game too long?  He wins.

Even though Carl was becoming increasingly despotic, he was a much more interesting character than Alison.  She seems nice but is so bland.  Leave it to that idiot Mike to screw up another vote.  He even said that it was in his best interest to get rid of the stronger, better liked Alison and keep prickly Carl.  For the first time this season I'm interested in seeing a Ponderosa video, just to see how he interacts with the rest of the bootees.

I'm losing my tolerance for Gabby.  She alternates between weepy and smug.  I was kind of hoping Carl would stay just so she would lose the smug.

So Angelina's bargaining strategy is throwing in everything they have and hoping Jeff will go for it?  Good skills there, Ang.  Did they teach that at Yale?

Good for Davey and Nick for continuing to play hard.

Regarding serving alcohol at rewards, no one is forcing anyone to drink.

I liked Alec, but it was the right time to get rid of him.

Yes, Mike probably should have voted out Allison (as should Gabby and Christian).  Carl was no long term threat and would probably have been voted out at the next TC.  Carl brought in on himself with his drunken and sober foolishness, and Godfather act, but I don't think it was the right time to whack him.

I have gone back and forth on Gabby, but now I can't stand her.  If you don't like people calling you emotional and hysterical maybe you shouldn't constantly engage in emotional hysterics.   

Angelina offering WAY too much was hilarious.  But, what was even worse was framing it as "our first offer".  Does Yale really teach people to negotiate by saying, "Here is our first offer. Of course, better offers are coming if you don't accept it.  Do we have a deal?"

Nick is my favorite at this point.  Davie a close 2nd.

I agree about the alcohol.  If they castaways are foolish enough to risk blowing a million dollars by getting drunk, it is on them.  Carl and Davie should have at least waited until they got to the food before over indulging in the beer.  Maybe nurse one on the boat ride, but don't really drink until you have some food in your stomach.

Carl seemed to be slightly invading Kara's personal space and leaning over her on the boat ride.  I imagine it made her uncomfortable, but she did a good job (as did Mike) of kissing up to Carl and Davie on the reward.   

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Sentient Meat said:

I don't get why they voted the uncharismatic Carl out when he is clearly a terrible player, yet decided to keep Alison and Mike who have proven that they cannot be trusted and are far better strategists.

I hope Gabby doesn't end up costing Christian a chance at winning because her ego keeps getting bruised.

Bingo! I was yelling at my TV. They could have gotten rid of people who potentially could garner jury votes. Carl wasn’t a threat at all. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Funniest thing from last night is when Allison was throwing up on the beach, Angelina saw her while walking with Mike and  said something like "is she doing yoga right now?" and Mike answered back that "no, she's throwing up!" or something along those lines.   

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I want to like Kara just based on her hotness but she was kind of stupid being all indignant about Carl discussing Alec as the next boot when she should have been happy it wasn't her name being floated. Plus I know she didn't mean anything by it but the calling a spade a spade was just a clumsy, awkward choice of words.

Quote

Gabby is a young person in a high stress environment who is playing a pretty darn good game but it is being ignored because she cries when frustrated.

On the Kara thing..   My mouth dropped.  I could not believe this bitch went there.     That is in the vein of Fl elect Gov DeSantis  telling his constituents to "not monkey this up" in voting for a Black candidate..  I don't know if Carl didn't want to "bust" his social game or he was not alert enough to hear, but I would have called her right then, right there.  I'm sorry, but I find it intentional in a lot of situations when certain phrases are said to persons of color..

On Gabby.. C'mon.., STRESS environment??? It is a game.. This is not a job where she is under pressure to perform and not screw up daily in a very unforgiving corporate environment where losing your job causes you to lose your health benefits, your income, etc...   I have NO idea how she handles everyday life in a work environment.  I have been working 40 years and have seen people just not emotionally able to handle the pressure and they "crack up"..    She needs to learn to control that...  and I am not saying she is not entitled to express her stress in that way and she is a lovely lady and if she is in any type of relationship I Pray that her significant other is able to tolerate and understand these emotions because it would be a problem to have to deal with that on daily basis.

I appreciated Christian's overt tactic to get under Alec's skin and also I believe to keep himself motivated during that challenge.

Angela is one strange narcissistic creature.  Almost to the point I think she may be playing a role... 

Yep, Carl is one unaware brother..   He got that taste of power and lost all perspective..  You fucked up Carl.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

On the Kara thing..   My mouth dropped.  I could not believe this bitch went there.     That is in the vein of Fl elect Gov DeSantis  telling his constituents to "not monkey this up" in voting for a Black candidate..  I don't know if Carl didn't want to "bust" his social game or he was not alert enough to hear, but I would have called her right then, right there.  I'm sorry, but I find it intentional in a lot of situations when certain phrases are said to persons of color..

While I noticed the "calling a spade a spade" thing, I think Kara probably had no idea that "spade" was once sometimes used as slur on black people.  The phrase itself has nothing to do with black people.  The phrase goes back to at least 1st Century Greece.  The first recorded usage of spade as a derogatory word for black people was in 1928.    I bet if you surveyed people under 30, most would have no idea that spade has been used as a slur.  

I think some of these slip ups with people using spade or monkey are actually the result of the country being much, less racist and people not even considering any racist connotations of such words.   

32 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

Yep, Carl is one unaware brother..   He got that taste of power beer and lost all perspective..  You fucked up Carl.

FIFY. :)

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

On the Kara thing..   My mouth dropped.  I could not believe this bitch went there.

I'm not willing to call Kara a bitch simply because of that. The phrase "call a spade a spade" refers to the garden tool and has been around since at least the 1500s.  It has never had anything to do with race. And, in the context Kara used it, it clearly had nothing to do with race.  I understand that the word "spade" started being used as a racial slur in the early 1900s but the idiom "call a spade a spade" is completely independent from the racial slur.  That being said, I try to avoid using the phrase altogether because I know some people take offense to it but I'm not going to condemn Kara for using it in the correct context.

ETA: Yeah, what Bryce said lol!

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

Wouldn't they be provided with extra rice anyway without having to negotiate?  The contests wouldn't be much fun with a bunch of weak starving survivors trying to drag themselves about.   Are the contestants given suntan lotion?

Starvation and skin cancer could lead to law suits.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

It is so clear that indulgint in alcohol can be considered to be a "game killer". IOW ... indulging in even a small amount of alcohol on the island can cause you to behave like a drunk because you may do that on an empty stomach or you may do that after 10 or 20 days and who knows how you will react to a few drinks after having no alcohol for 10 or 20 days. You best make sure you know how your body will react. But - in general - the smart thing to do would be to avoid all alcohol completely while on the island. Drinking any amount whatsoever could easily cost you the million dollars. Is it worth it?

Wasn’t there a time, or a season or two, where there was no alcohol? I can’t remember, help an old girl out here. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I actually still like Gabby, think she's playing as hard as she can and I'm routing for her. She is trusting some people to help keep her from freaking out externally while she processes the game internally. By trusting Christian she knew about Carl marginalizing her (not telling her about an upcoming vote) and guess who is getting blotto at Ponderosa instead of on the beach now? I enjoy watching her doing her best to hold it together under challenges. It's a big part of what the Survivor experience is to me as only one person "wins" but many gain and I think she's doing well in that quotient.

Or you can say you dislike her because she cries and is annoying which I can see as well.

This is exactly why I'm over Gabby.  It's not up to anyone else to keep her from freaking out-it's on her.  It is essentially the basis of "you made me act this way OR why didn't you stop me?..."  Everyone is responsible for their own behaviors.  It also broke my heart a little when Christian said that basically his number one job was to take care of Gabby.  It also was telling when Gabby when on and on about Carl not really considering her as an ally when she had already finalized plans to vote him out.  Pot/Kettle.

I have finally reached the end of my enjoyment of Christian.  He is just featured way too much, and, like a previous poster, I think he knows he is precious and it seems as if many of his expressions are 'pre-packaged.'  He also seems to buy into being a threat as he no longer talks about how he is perceived as a threat but rather that he is a threat.  

I'm still rooting for Davie and Nick and hope that Gabby and Christian allowing the original tribe numbers to be even, after they worked so hard to protect their original tribe and to take out Goliaths, doesn't mean that Davie and Nick are on their way out.  I was surprised that Christian went along with the Carl plan so easily as the Davids really banned together to save him from elimination (yes, I understand that it helped all of them, but nevertheless it didn't seem to take him even a second to turn on those who had saved him).

I couldn't believe that the rest of the survivors were good with Angelina's negotiation.  Giving up virtually everything they had on her first offer?  Would her second offer have been the shelter itself?  Of course she was willing to sit out the immunity challenge.  I don't remember her coming close to winning one (which she may have, I just don't remember-maybe the holding sticks on a barrel? ).  But, by willingly sitting it out, she wanted it appear to be a sacrifice on her part.  

I am so tired of all of the talk about resumes...

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I'm not willing to call Kara a bitch simply because of that. The phrase "call a spade a spade" refers to the garden tool and has been around since at least the 1500s.  It has never had anything to do with race. And, in the context Kara used it, it clearly had nothing to do with race.  I understand that the word "spade" started being used as a racial slur in the early 1900s but the idiom "call a spade a spade" is completely independent from the racial slur.  That being said, I try to avoid using the phrase altogether because I know some people take offense to it but I'm not going to condemn Kara for using it in the correct context.

ETA: Yeah, what Bryce said lol!

It never even crossed my mind that is could be thought of as a slur. I have heard that so much over the years and it was never used in a degrading way.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

Two hours of Survivor?  It’s not even Christmas yet!

It’s amazing that Angelina feels like she is back on top and suddenly ramps right back into obnoxiousness.

What a lovely metaphor. Well done!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

Funniest thing from last night is when Allison was throwing up on the beach, Angelina saw her while walking with Mike and  said something like "is she doing yoga right now?" and Mike answered back that "no, she's throwing up!" or something along those lines.   

It was funny but it was so neat with what we saw on screen it sounded scripted, maybe just me being too cynical.

Share this post


Link to post

34 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

On Gabby.. C'mon.., STRESS environment??? It is a game.. This is not a job where she is under pressure to perform and not screw up daily in a very unforgiving corporate environment where losing your job causes you to lose your health benefits, your income, etc...   I have NO idea how she handles everyday life in a work environment.  I have been working 40 years and have seen people just not emotionally able to handle the pressure and they "crack up"..    She needs to learn to control that...  and I am not saying she is not entitled to express her stress in that way and she is a lovely lady and if she is in any type of relationship I Pray that her significant other is able to tolerate and understand these emotions because it would be a problem to have to deal with that on daily basis.

It is a game to those of us at home. It is a game to the people out there but it is also their life. They are out of there 24/7, thinking game and eating game. They are sleep deprived, food deprived, and physically depleted. There is no time off from the game. Dan took a few hours to pout on the beach and Kara turned on him. The people on this board roasted him for taking time off from the game because you can't do that.

It is really their life, not just a game, but their life. And a rare chance to win one million dollars. It is far more stressful then my desk job where I go home after 8 hours. I can eat what I want. I can sleep in my bed. I can play with my child and dogs. I can go to the gym and burn off stress and tension. There is no release for people out there.

Yes, she needs to learn to control it. She is 25. She is pretty darn smart. I doubt that she is breaking down like this at work or home.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

When Nick went out in the dark looking for the idol, as he walked away I yelled at the TV, “Take that damn big note off a blazing torch and destroy or hide it!”

Not the most exciting idol find, the AU one actually beat this as someone had to go out middle of the night across a shallow stretch of water to search in the dead of night for some idol along the cliffs of another island, and the previous season someone had to go into a bog to find an idol in the dead of night.

But they are at least honest in how the production might change the rules in negotiation, the AU one might not be as open about that.  Though letting someone who probably wouldn't be in danger sit out of immunity wasn't arguably that tough a negotiation, they should have given up some of their comforts at camp.

4 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Is this the least athletic Final 8 ever?  

One of the stranger things in the episode I thought was Allison saying she's a huge physical threat and Mike saying she's the most competitive and a 'wonder woman'.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Wasn’t there a time, or a season or two, where there was no alcohol? I can’t remember, help an old girl out here. 

I honestly do not remember and I hope maybe someone else will. BTW. You consider yourself to be old? I doubt you are very old at all. We should have a contest to determine who is the odlest one of all. Do you have a mirror? You know .... like .... Mirror Mirror on the wall. Who is the oldest one of all?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, cleo said:

I think Christian is just a gentle soul and a kind guy to just about everyone. 

I was fine with Carl going. Gabby can go next, followed by Mike.

Alec really won me over the last two weeks.

Oh man, but I would LOVE to have dinner and a glass of wine with this guy.  LOVE him.  I hope he wins, I really do.  I'd hate to think the editing monkeys have set us up to watch Christian lose in the end, but it's happened before.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

24 minutes ago, amazingracefan said:

Not the most exciting idol find, the AU one actually beat this as someone had to go out middle of the night across a shallow stretch of water to search in the dead of night for some idol along the cliffs of another island, and the previous season someone had to go into a bog to find an idol in the dead of night.

But they are at least honest in how the production might change the rules in negotiation, the AU one might not be as open about that.  Though letting someone who probably wouldn't be in danger sit out of immunity wasn't arguably that tough a negotiation, they should have given up some of their comforts at camp.

One of the stranger things in the episode I thought was Allison saying she's a huge physical threat and Mike saying she's the most competitive and a 'wonder woman'.

Isn't that peculiar? The only thing that makes sense to me is there are only 3 ladies remaining on the G Tribe. So .... maybe .... she is right to consider herself to be one of the largest physical threats on that tribe? After all, she only has to compare herself to Aggravenia (do you like my new nick for Angelina?) and Kara. By rights, she might even be able to say she is a bigger physical threat than Mike. So ... anyway .... she may be right in saying she is the largest physical threat on the G Tribe considering there are only 4 people left on that tribe.

However, more importantly, it seems to me that a "Physical Threat" is not nearly as dangerous as the other kinds of threats. Like a Social Threat. Do you think?

As the game progresses and there are fewer and few people remaining, I suppose it may be fair to say that a "Physical Threat" keeps growing in importance because with fewer people remaining someone who is like Alec and easliy able to win the Immunity challenges, has an easier time when there are fewer people remaining. But, as I recall, there have been very few times that someone has gone on a "so-called Immunity Tear" and won Immunity in all of the last few challenges and made it to the FTC just because they won all of the remaining ICs. It has only happened rarely. So I think that a Social Threat and a Speaking Threat are far more important and more likely to help someone win the million. Does that make sense? I'm feeling kind of flustered at the moment.

By the way, by "Speaking Threat", I meant someone who is able to speak well (like Nick) and present a strong speech at the FTC explaining why they deserve to win is a much stronger threat than someone like Alec who is very good at physical challenges and who is able win the Immunity Challenge much more easily than the other people.

Edited by MissBluxom

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Cutty said:

Did Gabby seriously try the Michaela hair flip when Carl got voted out?! GTFO! 

Yes she did! She's so awkward, though, that it made her look like she was fixing to have a seizure. And, what's up with her bawling every other minute? She's like a little toddler who hasn't learned how to control her emotions yet. She's a very ugly cryer too, and that makes watching her meltdowns even more unbearable.

Christian needs to get away from her, and fast! For such an intelligent man, he's being awfully stupid concerning her. Maybe he's lusting after Gabby a little bit (ugh). You never know.

I'd like to see Nick or Davey win because they've managed to fly under the radar for the most part, and they keep their mouths shut. Strategically, they're excellent players. For overall game play, however, Christian should win.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

Wouldn't they be provided with extra rice anyway without having to negotiate?  The contests wouldn't be much fun with a bunch of weak starving survivors trying to drag themselves about. 

Bless your heart, clearly you haven't watched this series since inception.  In Australia, the survivors didn't ration their rice well and were walking skeletons by Day 20 Something.  One poor girl's hair was falling out in clumps. Probst was so pissed that they didn't ration well that he stepped in and gave them more rice but he took nearly all of their tools and comfort in return.  So Angelina really wasn't being heroic when she made her rice pitch.  She was being a show-off with her lame attempt at "negotiation."  But you know Yale ain't claiming that.

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite · Reason: punctuation is good
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

On Survivor Know it Alls, Rob called the Carl,  Don CARLeone.  ROTFL!  

Well she has the same name as Supergirl...and Dan's dog.  

That's Kara.  Kara is the name of Dan's Dog and Kara Danvers is Supergirl's alter ego Earth name.  Allison is the one that Mike was referring to, he said he had a choice between getting rid of the Godfather (Carl) or Wonder Woman (Allison).  Wonder Woman's Earth name is Diana Prince.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Gabby is a young person in a high stress environment who is playing a pretty darn good game but it is being ignored because she cries when frustrated. Her comments to Christian were perfectly valid and 100% on point. Carl was bossing people around.

So you plot to take care of the Carl situation. You don't open your gigantic claymation maw and scream and have a hissy fit about it! It doesn't matter how young Gabby is. She's a hot mess, and that incident made me lose some respect for Christian as well. Quit defending her bad behavior!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, blackwing said:

That's Kara.  Kara is the name of Dan's Dog and Kara Danvers is Supergirl's alter ego Earth name.  Allison is the one that Mike was referring to, he said he had a choice between getting rid of the Godfather (Carl) or Wonder Woman (Allison).  Wonder Woman's Earth name is Diana Prince.

Yeah, I was mixed up thinking Mike was talking about Kara.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

While I noticed the "calling a spade a spade" thing, I think Kara probably had no idea that "spade" was once sometimes used as slur on black people.  The phrase itself has nothing to do with black people.  The phrase goes back to at least 1st Century Greece.  The first recorded usage of spade as a derogatory word for black people was in 1928.    I bet if you surveyed people under 30, most would have no idea that spade has been used as a slur.  

 

I'm significantly over 30 and I've never heard that "calling a spade a spade" could be interpreted as a racial slur.  Is it a regional thing?  I'm in the Midwest and it never even remotely occurred to me that this phrase could be racist.

So it seems that Christian and Gabby are playing with the Goliaths because Gabby wanted to get rid of the Godfather.  I'm curious as to why the Goliaths plus Christian and Gabby didn't consider getting rid of Angelina.  Angelina so easily flipped to David and assumed she was with them until the end.  I'm not sure what to make of that... arrogance on her end that she just assumed they would take her, or masterful that she so easily slid in there and acted like she had always been with them.  She has demonstrated that she cannot be trusted.  It might be that everyone views her as a goat because nobody likes her, but I am pretty certain that in her own mind, she is playing the best game and is by far the most deserving of the win.  If you told her that she was a goat she would be shocked that anyone would even think that of her.

Plus, the whole "selfless sacrifice".  She gave up immunity because she thought she was safe since she jumped to the Davids.  If she had even remotely thought that the remaining Goliaths would target her then there's no way she would have done it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Bless your heart, clearly you haven't watched this series since inception

It's true I haven't watched in years.  I was quite keen in the early seasons and then lost interest.  It's all seemed kind of a set up after a while and I felt manipulated by editing.  

But there is no way they'd allow them to starve.  Also - they have so many more comfort items now than in the beginning of the series.  Chairs, hammocks, blankets, pillows, etc.  It's like a camping trip. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size