Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E10: Tribal Lines are Blurred

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

No but I understand the comparison there. If a woman shows any emotion (sadness, excitement, etc.), she’s usually labeled by men as being crazy or emotional. Hell, even if a woman is being totally calm and rational, male counterparts still tend to tell them to “Calm down” or “Relax”. I see it happen on a daily basis. Yes, I know, “not all men” and all that jazz but it happens A LOT. Which is probably one of the reasons Gabby mentioned it. However, in this particular case, it’s an apt description of Gabby. And there are a lot of men who will see that and it will only embolden their stereotypes about ALL women being like that.

It really makes no sense at all when there were 9 other women on the show.  People should be allowed to show emotion regardless of gender.  Mike, Alec, and others cried when they read letters from their family.  It's so strange to worry about showing emotion because people whose biased, sexist views won't change might think negatively of you.

10 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I look at Survivor as an intense social game as much as it is a game of strength, cognitive skills, and endurance.  For many people I know, the workplace is also an arena where all those things occur. I was just stating my opinion that I think Gabby and Angelina represent some of the least likeable, but unfortunately, culturally ingrained, attributes associated with why women aren’t equal to men...whether it’s in an office, or in a classroom or on an island in Fiji.

It's because of the patriarchy, not because women cry sometimes.  Men commit murder and sexual assault at a rate way higher than women do and it doesn't seem to hold them back in the workplace.  Women crying or not crying is not going to hold back or further their progress.

My point is because of the patriarchy women are damned and judged no matter how they act and disabling the patriarchy will help that - not Gabby crying less, which will do absolutely nothing.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 23
40 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Angelina is a TERRIBLE negotiator.  You don't say,  "Our first offer is..." and then list just about everything of value in the camp.  When you say "first offer" nobody with any sense would ever accept.  She lucked out that Jeff wanted the drama of asking if anyone would sacrifice a chance at immunity for the rice.

Gabby is so annoying.  I think she and Christian both blew up their games by going after Carl.  He would have been an easy vote down the road.

Angelina addressed this on twitter tonight in repsonse to a tweet from Stephen Fishbach:

Stephen Fishbach‏Verified account @stephenfishbach

Why begin a negotiation by admitting that your offer is a lowball you don’t expect to be accepted? #survivor

Angelina Cardona Keeley Retweeted Stephen Fishbach

@stephenfishbach it was part of the strategy. In many other negotiations on the show @JeffProbst will immediately shut it down, I wanted to show willingness to make it work so he didn’t just shut the door in my face. I knew my ceiling and the offer I accepted was below it.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Cutty said:

Did Gabby seriously try the Michaela hair flip when Carl got voted out?! GTFO! 

She and Alison said “bing!” in an echo of what Carl did two TC before when Dan was voted out.  I think the hairflip was an extraneous movement.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Ok but isn’t that what we’re doing every time anyone posts anything here? We’re all making judgements about everything based on a highly manipulated reality tv show.

Sure. But it is about what they are doing on the show out on the island. But even then we are not even getting close to the whole story. I just don't see how anything that happens on the island is indicative in any way shape or form of how this people behave outside the show or in the work place.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Sure. But it is about what they are doing on the show out on the island. But even then we are not even getting close to the whole story. I just don't see how anything that happens on the island is indicative in any way shape or form of how this people behave outside the show or in the work place.

I don’t think that’s what the original poster was saying though. She (he?) was saying that the stereotype of the hysterical woman in the workplace exists, not that Gabby  walks around her office sobbing. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, wallflower75 said:

At first, I was stunned when Angelina volunteered to be the one to sacrifice her chance at immunity so the rest of the tribe could get rice.  And then I thought, “Well, of course she did.  Now she looks good to the rest of them.”  (And I swear to God, if I hear “Survivor resume” one more time…ugh!!!!!)  But at the same time…doing something like that is risky.  Maybe not at this vote, but in a vote or two down the road, people are going to remember that she’s got that “I gave up immunity for everyone to have more rice!” card to play.

Does anyone ever care about something like that when voting for a winner?  I can't remember a time.  It may get her picked for the next reward but that's as far as it goes, at least in my memory.  

1 hour ago, dizzyd said:

However I missed everything before IC1, so not sure what happened that made Alec the prime target and pretty much being openly despised by the nacho crowd. Was it just Carl being Godfather? Someone please enlighten me. Thanks! 

He's a challenge beast; get him when we can.  The usual :)

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

...Second half of the episode, Christian’s TH about Carl’s plan to vote out Alison: “Yes, I’m okay with it.  Yes, I’m okay deferring all my decisions to a man that’s half sloshed.”  Again, I love this man!

One thing, what happened to Nick and Christian working together?

Lots of quotable comments this episode.  I loved that one too.  I don't think that necessarily blew up Nick and Christian's cooperation in the future.

45 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

I’ve always sort of wondered what would happen if they had an endurance challenge and someone tried to talk his opponent to death.  I sort of felt that’s what Christian did to Alec.  I nearly laughed my head off as Christian kept talking, and talking, and talking…

At first, I was stunned when Angelina volunteered to be the one to sacrifice her chance at immunity so the rest of the tribe could get rice.  And then I thought, “Well, of course she did.  Now she looks good to the rest of them.”

My reaction right when she talked about negotiating classes was that she went in wanting to find/create an opportunity for her to negotiate.  Maybe not with Jeff, but somethingAnything.  I now like her more since she talked about liking those classes, and still more when she sat out for the food.

45 minutes ago, cleo said:

I was fine with Carl going. Gabby can go next, followed by Mike.

I preferred Carl over just about anyone.  But I think it was stupid of Christian to formulate a plan that evened up Davids and Goliaths again.  Kara instead.  I realized today that she's probably the one who's hardest to read, for me anyway.

45 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

Loved everything about Christian's vote rationale. Christian for episode MVP 👏 Alison for best line by calling out Angelina's BS at TC1. Again why is Angelina still here, WTF! Although Carl was getting tiresome so glad to see him gone. 

Certainly we can't know anything close to what Christian about tribal lines being blurred, but I'd be concerned enough about "Goliath Strong" to flat out refuse to tie it up in numbers.

43 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I’m kind of rooting for Alison now, she’s playing the hell out of this game. And they can vote Angelina out anytime now, the sooner the better. 

Between Carl and Alison, I'm very happy with the outcome.  But Alison by far references "the game" way too much for my taste.  That phrase is a big reason I hadn't watched for more than 15 years.

41 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I liked that move for Christian, as I don't see it as an irreparable break between the Davids. His primary alliance is Nick and Gabby, and he didn't seem to have much trust with Carl. Although I wouldn't want a plan hinging on wishy-washy Mike.

Seems to me that before tonight, Gabby, Christian, Nick and maybe throw in Davie were the strongest alliance.  I would have done everything to keep that together, because at 8 people, you could virtually guarantee safety for say, at least two more TCs.

Mike being so strongly "Goliath Strong" for so long made be doubt he'd vote for Alison and put them down one more.

37 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I’m really enjoying the fact that, this season, I pretty much have no clue who’s getting voted out until it happens.

Christian educating Jeff about everything under the sun during the first IC was hilarious!

Call it skill or luck, I got the Dan, Alec and Carl votes correct.  But it's still a fantastic season.

Hilarious indeed!

28 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I couldn’t really fault people for eating instead of doing the IC- if they think they have no chance of winning or are starving. But they need to speak up and say that rather than imply they think they are safe. 

Carl was getting on my last nerve. When multiple people refer to you as ‘Godfather’, you are coming on too strong.

Totally agree with both.  For that first IC, I think the people who chose the nachos really were safe.

22 minutes ago, LanceM said:

I am going to say no but we might have to wait for a secret scene or next week to confirm

It may be in some of the secret scenes that get released online...

19 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Angelina is a TERRIBLE negotiator.  You don't say,  "Our first offer is..." and then list just about everything of value in the camp.  When you say "first offer" nobody with any sense would ever accept.  She lucked out that Jeff wanted the drama of asking if anyone would sacrifice a chance at immunity for the rice.

Gabby is so annoying.  I think she and Christian both blew up their games by going after Carl.  He would have been an easy vote down the road.

Someone else with an MBA agrees about her negotiating skills :D 

15 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Angelina addressed this on twitter tonight in repsonse to a tweet from Stephen Fishbach:

Stephen Fishbach‏Verified account @stephenfishbach

Why begin a negotiation by admitting that your offer is a lowball you don’t expect to be accepted? #survivor

Angelina Cardona Keeley Retweeted Stephen Fishbach

@stephenfishbach it was part of the strategy. In many other negotiations on the show @JeffProbst will immediately shut it down, I wanted to show willingness to make it work so he didn’t just shut the door in my face. I knew my ceiling and the offer I accepted was below it.

Suuuuure that's the reason.  Jeff probably would have been briefed on the plan to trade things for rice.  And if they discussed the best offer, he probably would have known about it.  She's still a favorite this season.  Not at all in the beginning.

What surprises me a lot about this episode is that Angelina wasn't on the winning side, vote wise.  But that look at TC was gold.

• Love 5

I won't be able to watch tonight's show until Friday so I'm just popping in to ask a few questions.

Did anyone find an Immunity Idol?  Who voted for who during the ousters of Alec and Carl - especially Carl?  I'm curious how Nick and Davie voted.

4 minutes ago, Jextella said:

I won't be able to watch tonight's show until Friday so I'm just popping in to ask a few questions.

Did anyone find an Immunity Idol?  Who voted for who during the ousters of Alec and Carl - especially Carl?  I'm curious how Nick and Davie voted.

Nick found an idol.  Alec voted for Carl, and everyone voted against him.  In the Carl vote, Carl/Angelina/Nick/Davey voted for Alison, Mike/Christian/Gabby/Alison/Kara voted for Carl.

• Love 2

Gabby is an annoying character and not in an entertaining way. There's nothing remotely interesting about her. Besides filling the quirky nerd archetype I truly wonder how she made it through the casting process. 

Edited by Cutty
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Nick found an idol.  Alec voted for Carl, and everyone voted against him.  In the Carl vote, Carl/Angelina/Nick/Davey voted for Alison, Mike/Christian/Gabby/Alison/Kara voted for Carl.

THANK YOU Ladychatts!

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Carl seems like a nice guy

Really? He's been obnoxious and off-putting to me from the moment he stepped on the beach actually. He was going after Elizabeth back in the earliest of days and has been key to marginalizing Gabby in his own alliance. I've never once thought he was a 'nice' guy.

• Love 24

Adding to everything already said about Gabby — and OMG, now I cannot wait for her to GO — her frequent use of “do they think I’m stupid?” Is bizarre.  Her crybaby manipulations drive me nuts, particularly as I am also a woman.  It’s long been my personal pet peeve on competition shows when women start crying and Gabby’s done it almost every episode.  I was so pro-Gabby early on, but that has disappeared for me.

Loved Alec and what an impressive effort in his immunity challenge — what a good-hearted exit when you know he had to be crushed to not get further in the game.  

Angelina just had to drop the MBA from Yale in her talking head.  But I’ll give her credit, degrees from both Stanford and Yale — wow.

I’m glad Carl finally got a reward before getting cut.  

Great season.  Every week keeps me guessing.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 16
3 minutes ago, Cutty said:

Gabby is an annoying character and not in an entertaining way. There's nothing remotely interesting about her. Besides filling the quirky nerd archetype I truly wonder how she made it through the casting process. 

I strongly suspect that she told the producers she has a tendency to cry.  I don't mind her.  Actually, I kind of like her.

1 minute ago, Knuckles said:

...how does a doctor not know enough to avoid overeating after weeks of meager food?  And next week the relatives arrive...

She was probably hungry enough and confident enough she'd be able to hold it down.  Maybe she was dehydrated too.

4 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

I still think the Davids should have stuck together and got out the Goliaths, one by one. 

Maybe not whittle them down to zero, but definitely not tie it up 4-4 again.  And not jeopardize Christian-Gabby-Nick +Davie alliance to boot someone who would only keep pissing people off enough to vote for him next time.

1 minute ago, Wandering Snark said:

Really? He's been obnoxious and off-putting to me from the moment he stepped on the beach actually. He was going after Elizabeth back in the earliest of days and has been key to marginalizing Gabby in his own alliance. I've never once thought he was a 'nice' guy.

I wasn't a big fan either.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

I still think the Davids should have stuck together and got out the Goliaths, one by one. 

YES!  With all of the things swirling in my brain, this concisely states exactly what I was thinking when that Carl vote went down.  Why leave any Goliaths in the game when you potentially have bitter Goliaths sitting in that jury box?!  Ugh, I hope this doesn't come back to bite them.  I never got over the Men vs. Women season when all the women needed to do was get out those final two men and they instead turned on Eliza just because she was annoying.  Fatal error.  An annoying Carl was NOT going to win the million but if one of those Goliaths survives until the end, I bet they will.

Elizabeth has quite the eye candy with her at Ponderosa. Her own personal Magic Mike cast. 

• Love 21

Glad there was a double 2 hour episode tonight. The boots were kind of predictable with all of the Alec is a big threat and Carl being called  "The Godfather". I'll admit that I'm good with Alison staying over Carl. Carl was way too confident and arrogant about who goes when. Gabby is getting on my nerves with her constant crying and whining. I wouldn't even mind if she went soon.

Even though tonight was predictable I'm still loving this season. I can't remember when I liked a season as much as this one.

• Love 5

I actually still like Gabby, think she's playing as hard as she can and I'm routing for her. She is trusting some people to help keep her from freaking out externally while she processes the game internally. By trusting Christian she knew about Carl marginalizing her (not telling her about an upcoming vote) and guess who is getting blotto at Ponderosa instead of on the beach now? I enjoy watching her doing her best to hold it together under challenges. It's a big part of what the Survivor experience is to me as only one person "wins" but many gain and I think she's doing well in that quotient.

Or you can say you dislike her because she cries and is annoying which I can see as well.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

I wish Survivor would stop serving alcohol in the rewards.  It's not going to be a good look for some people and I get uncomfortable watching people make fools of themselves.   They haven't had any alchoholic beverages in a month, they've eaten minimally, so of course any amount of alchohol is going to affect them.   I felt bad for Carl.   

I don’t.  Especially not for Carl, he’s an ass.  I think the alcohol is interesting, it shows who is thinking and has self-control and knows their limits given the state of their body, and who doesn’t.   

43 minutes ago, sadiegirl1999 said:

Was Nick wearing Dan’s jacket at the beginning of the episode? 

#jacketgate

I don’t think so.  Nick has always had his own jacket.  I think it’s a suit jacket or sportcoat.  They probably forced it on him to complete his persona as a lawyer.   Just like how they forced Angelina into unflattering yoga pants that accentuate her huge butt and thighs, because she apparently thinks of herself as a “hot yoga babe”.  Oh how wrong she is.

I hate how easily Angelina went crawling to the Davids and just seemed to assume that OK no hard feelings but my team dumped me so now I’m with you.  Her “sacrifice” was clearly designed to win jury votes.   Such a fake snake.

Disappointed Alec is out but thrilled that Carl is gone.  Bing!!!

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I hate how easily Angelina went crawling to the Davids and just seemed to assume that OK no hard feelings but my team dumped me so now I’m with you.  Her “sacrifice” was clearly designed to win jury votes.   Such a fake snake.

Disappointed Alec is out but thrilled that Carl is gone.  Bing!!!

Alison doesn't seem to care for Angelina.  I noticed at tribal tonight she had things to add when Angelina was trying to make a point about something.  I did find it humorous that Angelina just runs to the Davids and think she's in with them until the end.  Her toasting Carl "to the future" while Carl had several TH saying he was David strong and just using Angelina was hilarious.  While she's justified to be upset at Alec/Kara/Alison and feel she has no place with them at this point, I'm not sure how big of a resume move it is to say you just jumped shipped to the other alliance and got through by the skin of your teeth.  I really hope she is the next to go.  

I don't think anyone will be stupid enough to believe she made this noble sacrifice for rice by giving up immunity.  Mike didn't seem like he was okay with her offering practically their own camp.  I can't believe he was the only one thinking that.  

I honestly have mixed feelings about Alec and Carl going.  I'm not terribly disappointed, but I liked Alec even though he got a terrible cocky edit tonight.  I did feel for him during the IC, but I'm glad Christian didn't back down.

• Love 6

There was no way Alec was ever going to win Survivor, so couldn't they have kept the eye candy for a little bit longer? Lucky Elizabeth. 

Fried chicken and beer.... I hope Carl was able to handle his bowel movements better than his sloppy drunkenness after all that indulgence.

• Love 4

Random thoughts:

• Reckon Christian hypnotized Alec into stepping off the Immunity Challenge with his voice?
  • We got cheated out of Alec’s GBM and the reveal of his eviction vote.
  • Carl’s effective Nullifier play definitely inflated his opinion of his own game, didn’t it?  News flash, Carl: your Nullifier is gone now, and without it - or another idol or advantage - you’re just another game stiff.
  • A major part of my negative opinion of Carl is due, appropriately enough, to his lack of perception OR perspective; the notion someone might have alternative strategic opinions which are equally valid doesn’t seem to have ever occurred to Carl.
  • At least Carl got to leave with a full stomach.  Is that a recurring theme this season...?
  • Pure speculation here - but take Gabby’s vitriolic targeting of Carl, mix it in with the successfully engineering of Carl’s subsequent eviction, pop it in the oven for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees - and I’m fully expecting next week’s Gabby to be at least three times as insufferable as this week’s Carl.  ;)
  • Love 24
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

When Nick went out in the dark looking for the idol, as he walked away I yelled at the TV, “Take that damn big note off a blazing torch and destroy or hide it!”

I must have fast-forwarded too much - how did Nick know that he could walk down the beach at night and find an idol? 

12 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I must have fast-forwarded too much - how did Nick know that he could walk down the beach at night and find an idol? 

Like Dan finding the clue about grabbing one at a challenge, Nick found a clue to go the farthest reaches of the island at night, where it would be by a burning torch.

• Love 1

I don't get why they voted the uncharismatic Carl out when he is clearly a terrible player, yet decided to keep Alison and Mike who have proven that they cannot be trusted and are far better strategists.

I hope Gabby doesn't end up costing Christian a chance at winning because her ego keeps getting bruised.

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

If I had to live with Gabby's constant weeping & whining, I would have gotten rid of her, and I don't mean vote her off, I mean drown her.

Camera crews everywhere.  Easiest. Jury. Deliberation. Ever. :D

• Love 6

The whole Perception/Perspective thing seems like someone in production made a mistake. Like, oops, we didn't realize there was another valid answer. Was Carl supposed to be a mind reader and just know what random word that has nothing to do with the game that the producers are thinking of?

It reminds me of the haphazard stacked letters from the previous season, where one was declared "upside down" because the drop shadow was on the wrong side, but, they missed that the winner's letters had the same mistake.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, North of Eden said:

<snip>

The good news was this was a Gabby-Fest and I loved it!  So many great shots of her tonight...she was made for the camera. I'm so happy that she's ascended to a power position after she was continually having her name thrown out as a target in the pre-merge but for no good reason. The only thing I don't like is that she is aligning with Mike who I cannot stand (Tracy Flick reference aside which was awesome). It too bad he got to eat on both rewards but I wanted Gabby to get the food on the first one so it was a necessary evil that he got to eat too.

<snip>

Was it good news that tonight's episode was a Gabby-fest?  I think it was most certainly good news.  I have read some other message boards and several times, people expressed the attitude, "when and how did Gabby ever get to be so gorgeous?"  I suppose there are times when some women feel the need to make themselves appear less attractive than they are. Otherwise, they will be bothered all day long by men hitting on them.

Tonight, Gabby made a few points about Carl that I consider very perceptive as well as important. They were mostly about his conduct and I'd like to say something briefly about that before returning to Carl.

So many times on a show like Survivor or Big Brother, one person becomes highly disliked and many people will then express how happy they will be when that person is evicted. There are frequently posts along the lines, "Just wait till this person is voted out. They won't believe it! They will lose their minds! They will become violent! Yakkey Yakkety Yak!  But the truth is they hardly ever follow through with any of those things.

When it came to Carl, this is almost certainly just my opinion, but I think he was such a poor player, that he never understood what happened to him or why it happened. He had no idea how he was being perceived by the other players or what they might be intending to do about it. It's one thing to not understand something. But, it's so much worse to not even understand there is something that needs to be understood. In the latter case, you are almost certainly one thousand percent SOL! 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Sentient Meat said:

Gabby probably will end up marrying someone like Christian, because few could take that constant drama.

I put the following into a spoiler because it contains a portion of the lyrics to a song that expresses Tina Turner's love for a river and mountain and I know that when it comes to Gabby, a great many folks do not feel the same way as do I. Even tho I've never met her and I'm old enough to be her grandfather, I think she is quite probably the most beautiful lady in the world and I would give most anything to get my hands on a Time Machine so that I could go back 50 years to have a legitimate shot to meet and marry her. Now, I know that sounds ridiculous.  But, we all can have a dream.  Can't we?  Please say YES. Oh,  please?  please?  please? 

So ...... goodbye to you Dearest Gabby.  Regardless how this may turn out, you will always remain the most beautiful lady in my world - even if my world may not be the same world as yours.  Know what I mean?  I would guess you may not know what I mean.  But, please  please  don't you worry bout  none  that.

If Gabby ends up marrying someone like Christian, I think that will surely transform that someone into the happiest someone in this world.  I can't possibly imagine any woman as beautiful, as clever, and who possesses a heart of gold like Gabby does. When God created woman, it's just my opinion, but surely Gabby is God's idea of "perfection in womanhood" and then, for some unfortunate reason, the mold for this "perfection in womanhood" got broken and that was surely the saddest day in the history of this world. Oh yes, indeed. Perfection in womanhood - Gabby Pascuzzi.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

Random thoughts:

• Reckon Christian hypnotized Alec into stepping off the Immunity Challenge with his voice?
  • We got cheated out of Alec’s GBM and the reveal of his eviction vote.
  • Carl’s effective Nullifier play definitely inflated his opinion of his own game, didn’t it?  News flash, Carl: your Nullifier is gone now, and without it - or another idol or advantage - you’re just another game stiff.
  • A major part of my negative opinion of Carl is due, appropriately enough, to his lack of perception OR perspective; the notion someone might have alternative strategic opinions which are equally valid doesn’t seem to have ever occurred to Carl.
  • At least Carl got to leave with a full stomach.  Is that a recurring theme this season...?
  • Pure speculation here - but take Gabby’s vitriolic targeting of Carl, mix it in with the successfully engineering of Carl’s subsequent eviction, pop it in the oven for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees - and I’m fully expecting next week’s Gabby to be at least three times as insufferable as this week’s Carl.  ;)

I'm sorry Nash, but I can't go along with Christian hypnotizing Alec because ...

Surely if Christian had used his massive brain power and memory to have hypnotized someone, he would have definitely made sure that everyone in this world knew all about it. He could never have let any opportunity pass by where he could have explained just how he used his superior IQ and skills to have accomplished some impressive deed.

OK. I was just joking to be sure. I cannot resist the opportunity to have some fun with you. I'm sure you realize there is no evil intent there. I honestly believe both you and Christian are quite wonderful and one day, it is my dream that one of us will be given the opportunity to meet Christian and tell him just how much he is admired by all the "geeks", "nerds", "dweebs" and "eggheads" in this world.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

She and Alison said “bing!” in an echo of what Carl did two TC before when Dan was voted out.  I think the hairflip was an extraneous movement.

I loved the "bing".  First rule in Survivor - if you think you're safe, you're not.  I could not believe he was holding court on the hammock.

3 hours ago, Sentient Meat said:

I don't get why they voted the uncharismatic Carl out when he is clearly a terrible player, yet decided to keep Alison and Mike who have proven that they cannot be trusted and are far better strategists.

Sometimes an asshole just needs to leave.

1 hour ago, MissBluxom said:

I put the following into a spoiler because it contains a portion of the lyrics to a song that expresses Tina Turner's love for a river and mountain and I know that when it comes to Gabby, a great many folks do not feel the same way as do I. Even tho I've never met her and I'm old enough to be her grandfather, I think she is quite probably the most beautiful lady in the world and I would give most anything to get my hands on a Time Machine so that I could go back 50 years to have a legitimate shot to meet and marry her. Now, I know that sounds ridiculous.  But, we all can have a dream.  Can't we?  Please say YES. Oh,  please?  please?  please? 

Yes, you can dream.  MissBluxom = grandfather?  I would love to hear the stories behind some user's names.  I used to play online with a little kid at the library who had a horse named Jumper Sage.

Mr. Sage is hooked and had my PJs and dinner waiting for me in front of the tv when I ran in from work...............................It's nice having someone to watch and discuss with.  I no longer know anyone who watches Survivor.

• Love 4

Not exactly a boring episode, but definitely the boringest of this season so far, so great move to put the two together into one episode and get them over with.  I had the idea there was some kind of Alec spoiler out there in the world and so for weeks I've been expecting him to go out like Beast Mode Cowboy did, and I was absolutely sure he was going to collapse during the epic challenge today.  Even when he didn't and stepped off, but Jeff was going on about how weird it was, I thought he was going to walk off to the beach and just fall down, or something.  But no!  And he kept trying!  I honestly thought his meat shield argument to Christian was really good!  And I was glad to see him go out in good spirits because I think he played a great game.  It's not his fault that Mike and Alison suck.

Christian -- what a social game.  Alison coming to cry on his shoulder really cemented it for me.  He's beloved out there.  They have to know he needs to go.  Much more than Carl did.  I just couldn't see Carl as a threat, even if he was taking a leadership role.  But I suppose that Nick and Davie were not targeting any Davids, because they were trying to get their David numbers up first, which makes plenty of sense to me.  Although I do think the Goliath tribe, as I said last time, is a smoking crater, so there's not much threat of them coming together.  I just think Carl is a strange choice, nowhere near as threatening as Alison or Mike are.

Angelina has sort of gone beyond hilariously terrible at the game to where I just feel bad for her.  It's not just that she's so awkward and painfully artificial in the way she talks much of the time (studied, I suppose, is the word: it definitely feels like she's reciting her homework from negotiation class, all the time she's on the island) but that she's doing it over irrelevant stuff like the rice negotiation which nobody else cares about, because she's just that out of the loop.  It's painful, because obviously to her it's important, so surely it's important to the game, right? but it just isn't.  It feels somehow like I'm in the room with her, watching her reacting to an extremely negative edit, instead of just seeing the edit itself.  Although she is friends with Adam Klein and is therefore my sworn enemy, I don't wish this humiliation on her.

Not an Alison fan this episode, or a Gabby fan either tbh.  I get Gabby but girl, chill.  Have a thought to how you look to the viewing public.  Can't remember why I wasn't enthused about Alison?  She seemed to really take a beating from the challenges this time -- flailing on the ropes, puking her guts out from the reward, and she looked like she was going to die during the endurance challenge.  Everybody being drunk at the other reward was hilarious, and I like Kara, although I see no path to the end for her whatsoever.  Strangely quiet for Nick and Davie this episode, even though both got plenty of screen time; I guess because it was Christian and Gabby making the BIG MOVE this time.

Well, it wasn't the best episode ever, but if this is the worst the season has to offer we're really being treated to something special, I think.

7 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Bye Alec, the last of the eye candy gone. I was feeling sorry for him until he got so cocky. 

When was Alec cocky?  He was acting with his back against the wall the whole time.

6 hours ago, sadiegirl1999 said:

Was Nick wearing Dan’s jacket at the beginning of the episode? 

#jacketgate

I think so, or someone's anyway!  Not his suit jacket -- it was a black bomber jacket.  It's amazing and hilarious how many people we've seen wearing other people's jackets, who aren't Angelina.

• Love 16
6 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Gabby is a cry baby who comes across as dumb and helpless, and is always looking for approval from, or to be rescued by a man.  “Why don’t they like meeee?”  “Do you think I’m smarter/prettier/cooler than those other girls?”  She is too emotional and looks weak.

Obviously mileavge varies but I didn't see that at all. She talked to Christian, complained that she was being given a decoy play and basically dropped from her alliance, got a bit emotional and a bit angry then made a move to save her game. She didn't talk about it and then back out. She didn't expect Christian to rescue her. She just did what she had to. With some tears, but she did it. 

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's because of the patriarchy, not because women cry sometimes.  Men commit murder and sexual assault at a rate way higher than women do and it doesn't seem to hold them back in the workplace.  Women crying or not crying is not going to hold back or further their progress.

Absolutely. Thank you. 

6 hours ago, EllenB said:

I expected Angelina to include a couple of players, someone's house, and another player's first born in that opening gambit. Master negotiator, my ass.

I know it was weeks ago but all I could think about when she said she'd taken advanced negotiating was 'Natalie, can I have your jacket? Natalie? ...Natalie?' 

6 hours ago, princelina said:

Does anyone ever care about something like that when voting for a winner?  I can't remember a time.  It may get her picked for the next reward but that's as far as it goes, at least in my memory.  

Usually doing something "selfless" gets you booted, just because people worry that it will get you jury points. 

4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't think anyone will be stupid enough to believe she made this noble sacrifice for rice by giving up immunity.

I mean... she gave up the immunity before so she could have nachos. They'll give it lip service but probably everyone is fully aware she just did it as jury management and because she knew she was unlikely to win immunity anyway. 

I still can't decide if I like Alec, not that it matters because he's gone. I was impressed he stuck it out for so long but some of what he was saying to Gabby seemed kind of nasty. Not that it matters now, I guess. And I hadn't liked Alison much but maaan was I stressed in the lead-up to that second vote, and so relieved when it went that way. That little bit of power went to Carl's head, and fast. 

I worry about Christian, should he make it to the end now. He's only there because Carl, Davie and Nick all used their advantages and idols to save him, and he's flipped on them. That seems like a recipe for bitterness. Still, I'm glad he did it. It keeps things interesting. 

Mike looked like he was wearing Penner's hat in the end there. It didn't work for him. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

but we’re not talking about people shedding a few tears when they got a letter from home (which I also think is ridiculous), we’re talking specifically about how Gabby cries hysterically in almost every episode. The 9 other women haven’t been sobbing constantly, which is why this discussion is specifically about Gabby. Yes,  the stereotype is annoying and unfair. But we can’t deny that it exists. And women like Gabby only help further the stereotype, I think that was the point the original poster was trying to make.

I know Gabby has some growing to do. She is in her early 20’s and will probably learn from this. While Gabby does need to learn how to handle her frustration and tense situations a bit better, society needs to get over its perception of what tears mean. They are no different then venting, screaming, hitting something, or generally releasing emotion. Tears are perfectly fine and acceptable. I am more annoyed that people who are comfortable with crying have to be defended from accusations of being weak or manipulative. Yes, tears can be used to manipulate, I have a 6 year old and let me tell you, I know when he is using his tears to manipulate. But normally, tears are an experssion of real emotion.

Yes, I would like for Gabby to learn how to deal with her anxiety and stress without tears. Not because I care that she is crying but because it will help her navigate life more easily. Gabby has demonstrated herself to be analytical, calculating and very capable. She has also discussed her own insecurities and issues, part of which lead to her tears. 

The stereotype is unfair because crying should not be seen in such a negative light. Crying is a healthy release of emotion that makes people uncomfortable because it might require that they be human and comfort someone oone. A good number of people have no clue how to do that and simply walk away. Christian is so impressive because he is empathetic and willing to come over and give a hug and help someone through a rough patch. 

So cry away when you read your letters from home or when people come to the beach. Allow yourself that perfectly normal, perfectly human emotional release in a time of high stress during a game that will provide most people with life changing money. Let the tears go.

Gabby is on the more extreme side of things and needs to work on why she is crying so she can get those anxieties under control. But I’ll take her tears over the Brandon Hantz version of aniexty control any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Hell, I’ll take it over Carl’s obsession with beer. 

To put it in perspective, on a societal level, a dude who was just lost his job because he was arrested for domestic violence was hired three days later by the Redskins. Why? Cause he is a a big burly man who can hit really hard on a football field. We expect him to be violent so if he, and other professional athletes, occassionally strike someone then it is to be expected. Scoiety will clamour about how bad it is for a few days and then someone will higher him. Cause hitting is seen in a less negative light, it’s manly, then crying. I really wish jackasses like him would just learn to fucking cry when they are angry or anxious, like Gabby, and not hit. 

• Love 23
7 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Alec’s hands were beet red when he let go of that bar. OMG, I was hurting just watching that. I don’t think anyone else has ever lasted as long as he and Christian, in any of those stand-still-in-pain challenges.

Tom and Ian of Palau would like to have a word with you...

2 hours ago, Charlesman said:

The whole Perception/Perspective thing seems like someone in production made a mistake. Like, oops, we didn't realize there was another valid answer. Was Carl supposed to be a mind reader and just know what random word that has nothing to do with the game that the producers are thinking of?

It reminds me of the haphazard stacked letters from the previous season, where one was declared "upside down" because the drop shadow was on the wrong side, but, they missed that the winner's letters had the same mistake.

Point the first: No, that was absolutely deliberate on the part of TPTB.  Remember, Peachy said they were given 13 letters for their 11-letter word.  It is no mistake that for the given word "perspective" that they picked the extra letters of "o" and "n".  "Perceptions" was a deliberate trap solution and they got lucky someone fell into it.

Point the second: Your recollection of that challenge is incorrect. They allowed upside-down S's (and O's) from everyone, since those are difficult to tell if they're inverted.  The problem letter was an inverted "U", which is plain to tell if upside-down or not.

6 minutes ago, MissEwa said:

I know it was weeks ago but all I could think about when she said she'd taken advanced negotiating was 'Natalie, can I have your jacket? Natalie? ...Natalie?'

Angelina: "Jeff, can we have some rice? Jeff?  ...Jeff?"

• Love 12
40 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

I loved the "bing".  First rule in Survivor - if you think you're safe, you're not.  I could not believe he was holding court on the hammock.

Sometimes an asshole just needs to leave.

Yes, you can dream.  MissBluxom = grandfather?  I would love to hear the stories behind some user's names.  I used to play online with a little kid at the library who had a horse named Jumper Sage.

Mr. Sage is hooked and had my PJs and dinner waiting for me in front of the tv when I ran in from work...............................It's nice having someone to watch and discuss with.  I no longer know anyone who watches Survivor.

I have posted this personal info a few times before, but the truth (and I swear it is the truth) I am a man and a senior citizen who has never married. I will put the remainder of this post in the forum called, "Small Talk: Back At Camp" because I believe that is the appropriate place and I will post a little more personal info about myself there.