Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E10: Tribal Lines are Blurred

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Alec’s hands were beet red when he let go of that bar. OMG, I was hurting just watching that. I don’t think anyone else has ever lasted as long as he and Christian, in any of those stand-still-in-pain challenges.

Gabby and Christian should get married. I don’t understand half of what he’s talking about, but he seems to truly care about Gabby’s feelings. And they are both statistical geeks, they could talk about that stuff all day and night.

Carl screwed up by letting Kara in on any plan. They can’t get rid of Angelina fast enough, for me.

Another pretty man gone, dammit. Bye Alec, I loved your smile.

I HATE the underwater challenges. I don’t swim, claustrophobic as hell. I’d never make it. I hate to say it, but I was sort of glad to see people puking. They need to stop with the outrageously rich meals. I thought all 3 would get sick on those nachos. Alcohol doesn’t help in that heat, either.

I really thought Carl would pass out with his hangover when they were spinning around. With all the facial expressions at TC I had no way to tell which way the vote was going to go. Carl couldn’t believe it.

• Love 14

There are ICs that have been brutal and then there was THAT! 6 hours!!!! I love how Christian used what God gave him to win. 

However I missed everything before IC1, so not sure what happened that made Alec the prime target and pretty much being openly despised by the nacho crowd. Was it just Carl being Godfather? Someone please enlighten me. Thanks! 

They've been talking about blurring the tribal alliances for weeks now and not acting on it till hour 2. Too bad it wasn't early enough for Alec. And TG for a 2h episode to make up for me missing the 1st 20 minutes. 

Survivor hoops was a pretty cool RC and a really good reward.

I have to give it to this cast, they're quite eloquent. 

Loved everything about Christian's vote rationale. Christian for episode MVP 👏 Alison for best line by calling out Angelina's BS at TC1. Again why is Angelina still here, WTF! Although Carl was getting tiresome so glad to see him gone. 

• Love 12

Bye Alec, the last of the eye candy gone. I was feeling sorry for him until he got so cocky. 

I was rooting for Carl at the beginning too until he turned into The Godfather. I’m kind of rooting for Alison now, she’s playing the hell out of this game. And they can vote Angelina out anytime now, the sooner the better. 

• Love 17

I liked that move for Christian, as I don't see it as an irreparable break between the Davids. His primary alliance is Nick and Gabby, and he didn't seem to have much trust with Carl. Although I wouldn't want a plan hinging on wishy-washy Mike.

Angelina just had to get in -- in front of the jury -- that she was the one who negotiated (and sacrificed) for the tribe to have rice, didn't she? Of course she did.

(anybody else who watches Australian Survivor ... a big plate of nachos!!! Hope Benji watched this one tonight)

• Love 8
1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

I’ve always sort of wondered what would happen if they had an endurance challenge and someone tried to talk his opponent to death.  I sort of felt that’s what Christian did to Alec.  I nearly laughed my head off as Christian kept talking, and talking, and talking…Although I will say, whether Christian wins or not, the Survivor editors have done a pretty good job showing us his social game.  The show can legitimately claim that he’s a threat and not have us scratching our heads in wonder.

At first, I was stunned when Angelina volunteered to be the one to sacrifice her chance at immunity so the rest of the tribe could get rice.  And then I thought, “Well, of course she did.  Now she looks good to the rest of them.”  (And I swear to God, if I hear “Survivor resume” one more time…ugh!!!!!)  But at the same time…doing something like that is risky.  Maybe not at this vote, but in a vote or two down the road, people are going to remember that she’s got that “I gave up immunity for everyone to have more rice!” card to play.

Angelina took overconfidence and cocky up about 100 notches tonight.  And all because she flipped on the Goliaths.  So she's on the bottom with the Davids (but doesn't know it, just like she didn't know she was on the bottom with the Goliaths), and suddenly she thinks she's taken Gabby's spot and is queen?  And while it was admirable she sat out the IC...how could she not?  That was all her idea.  I thought she was over negotiating with all the stuff she was offering.  But I don't care how many negotiation classes you take, you will never beat Jeff when it comes to bartering for rice.  I thought it was interesting she sat out the first IC.  She must have felt awful comfortable, considering her name came up at the last TC.  If Carl really was a control freak, no wonder they got along so well.  I really don't think getting more rice will earn her brownie points with the jury.  

The way Alec was looking, you'd think Christian was talking about the most disgusting, stomach churning, sea sick worthy stuff.  Nope, just about plant root.  

• Love 15

That first IC was epic! It felt like old school Survivor. And It solidifies Christian into the All-Time Best players lists.

In fact, when he was going on about having one shot at this, I kept thinking that I really doubt that.

Second houur, drunk Carl was not a good look, but I find Gabby equally annoying. So that was a drawl for me. I felt bad that Nick and especially Davie were blindsided. I like them much more than Alisomn and Mike.

I guess Mason-Dixon is over. ;(  

• Love 21
Just now, Eolivet said:

I liked that move for Christian, as I don't see it as an irreparable break between the Davids. His primary alliance is Nick and Gabby, and he didn't seem to have much trust with Carl. Although I wouldn't want a plan hinging on wishy-washy Mike.

Angelina just had to get in -- in front of the jury -- that she was the one who negotiated (and sacrificed) for the tribe to have rice, didn't she? Of course she did.

(anybody else who watches Australian Survivor ... a big plate of nachos!!! Hope Benji watched this one tonight)

Well yeah. That is kind of the point of the game. To give the jury reasons why they should vote for you.  All the players do it.

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, cleo said:

I think Christian is just a gentle soul and a kind guy to just about everyone. 

I agree, but why did he have to burn Nick?

I know it's silly, but I'm kinda bummed about that.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 9

I would have bet money that Allison would be gone, so they fooled me again ! Much better than a predictable Tribal all the time.

I can barely stand to sit thru a 3 hr. movie and I'm in a ( by a long shot ) much more comfortable situation doing that than they were doing that challenge. Hell, my back is usually killing me after just standing around for a few a hours. I might have lasted a bit longer than Mike ( 11 minutes !) but probably not much. You  *really* want to win if you are willing to put up with that torture for 6 hours !

• Love 5

I need to find a gif of Nancy Kerrigan saying "Is she crying AGAIN?" when Oksana Bayul would turn on the waterworks at whatever Olympics that was.  Perfect for Sobby Gabby.  Christian is sort of fun to watch in this game, but I've known too many Christians in real life and they are annoying AF.

• Love 22

Loved Christian tonight.  Gabby can go as I am tired of her ‘poor poor me, no one likes me,boo boo... he looked at me funny’ attitude. 

I couldn’t really fault people for eating instead of doing the IC- if they think they have no chance of winning or are starving. But they need to speak up and say that rather than imply they think they are safe. 

Carl was getting on my last nerve. When multiple people refer to you as ‘Godfather’, you are coming on too strong. 

I don’t think Nick got burned. No he wasn’t in on it because they didn’t want Carl to find  out. But they didn’t target Nick. 

It was so funny to watch Jeff be a captive audience for Christian.  Finally someone who talks at Jeff more than he  yells at all the players. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 19
6 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

I’m really enjoying the fact that, this season, I pretty much have no clue who’s getting voted out until it happens. The editing has been so much better this season in terms of not telegraphing who’s going home. I’m upset though that they didn’t vote out Alison. That confessional where she was like “Now feels like the right time to work with the Davids”...sure, now that you’re down in numbers. She was more than happy to screw them over the past few votes.

Ugh. I hope the letters from home means we don’t get a family visit this season. I can’t stand seeing them sob over people they’ve only been away from for a few weeks. (Yes, I know comments like this irritate some people but the comments gushing over the family visits irritate me so I guess we’re even lol)

Christian educating Jeff about everything under the sun during the first IC was hilarious! I love him so much! Him and Alec battling it out for 5 hours was reminiscent of the old school challenges that would go on for hours. That was great! I’m always amazed when people choose to eat rather than go for Immunity. I mean, I get that they’re hungry but you can buy a lot of food with a million dollars. 

I kind of have an issue with the 2nd IC. It just seems a little unfair when there’s a puzzle that has more than one answer. I mean, Carl spelled a perfectly good word. And perception and perspective mean almost the same thing. (And neither really have anything to do with Survivor so...)

I’m so over Gabby. I want the Goliaths gone first but, after that, I hope she’s the first David to go. Has there ever been a contestant who has cried as much as her? It’s freaking annoying! And she thinks that people are just throwing insults by calling her hysterical and emotional? Um, that’s pretty much a spot on description of her.

I didn’t have a problem with Carl having the wrong word.  Jeff said an 11-letter word, which perception is not.  I know they’re hot, hungry, tired, blah blah blah, but if you can spell out perception on Day 30, you can count to 11 on Day 30.

• Love 17

I’m really enjoying the fact that, this season, I pretty much have no clue who’s getting voted out until it happens. The editing has been so much better this season in terms of not telegraphing who’s going home. I’m upset though that they didn’t vote out Alison. That confessional where she was like “Now feels like the right time to work with the Davids”...sure, now that you’re down in numbers. She was more than happy to screw them over the past few votes.

Ugh. I hope the letters from home means we don’t get a family visit this season. I can’t stand seeing them sob over people they’ve only been away from for a few weeks. (Yes, I know comments like this irritate some people but the comments gushing over the family visits irritate me so I guess we’re even lol)

I'm loving this season too!  At this point the last two seasons I didn't know who half the cast was, but I actually can see someone on my screen and know their name.  I love that there's been some old school strategy, a (now disbanded) rag tag alliance that came out on top, the challenges and not overly extravagant rewards, the camp life scenes, and the editing.  Tonight's two votes were a tad predictable, because I really didn't expect Alec to go with all the focus on him.  I thought it might be Carl or possibly a Kara blindside.  The second vote, I figured it was between Carl and Alison, but I really didn't know who was going. 

I'm not sorry Carl went, but I would have loved for him to stick around, only for Angelina to discover 'hey, I never said you took Gabby's place, we just used you, good bye.'  I like Alison, so I'm happy she stayed, but it did both warm my heart and annoy me that the Goliaths finally knew what it felt like being on the bottom-but Alison, Alec, and especially Kara seemed more like 'yeah, we don't have a choice now.'  To be fair to Alison, and I hope she is asked this, she was part of Strike Force, but then Mike bailed, and logically it made sense to her to stick with the numbers.  She might not have had a choice.  But yeah, mixed feelings on that.  

I actually roll my eyes during the family visit, and while I can be a crier, I'd probably look like a stone if one of my loved ones came around the corner.  Not saying I wouldn't be happy to see them, but I just don't get how overly emotional everyone always is.  Though show me pictures of my cats on the other hand....

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 11

Interesting turn of events as the Davids are becoming even more arrogant and cocky than the Goliaths ever were in my opinion.  I do agree with what others are wondering about above is whether Nick knew the votes were going towards Carl all along.  I am going to say no but we might have to wait for a secret scene or next week to confirm

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Well yeah. That is kind of the point of the game. To give the jury reasons why they should vote for you.  All the players do it.

I'm hard-pressed to remember when a player, appropos of nothing, brought up a personal accomplishment that wasn't related to a vote or a challenge win (two things that impact the game), for the sole benefit of making sure the jury heard about it. At final tribal council, sure -- but to me, this was like a kid interrupting an adult conversation with "Oh, oh, oh, and I did this today at school."

• Love 19

I don’t know what I think about nighttime idol hunts.  What exactly are the rules for idols?  If someone has a clue are they the only ones that can find it nowadays?  I know once a person has the idol in their possession no one can steal it, but what about the clues?  And would the same apply to a nighttime idol hunt?

I wonder what Kara thinks about overconfidence watching Alec’s TH back.  I was half expecting Alec to break into a jig and have everyone chant ‘you the man’ after his TH at the picnic.  He did not come off well tonight.  I figured if he wasn't voted off, his time was coming.

I loved John and Dan’s side comments at the two TC.  Honestly, I didn’t know who I wanted to go more: Carl, because it would blindside Angelina and I’m not a particular fan of Carl.  Or Alec, because I really did not like his or Kara’s attitude (I wish Kara had been blindsided).  That said, I was hoping Christian/Gabby wouldn’t be stupid enough to go with the people who bailed on Strike Force and were Goliath strong at the last TC.  Not sure where they stand right now or if Carl was a smart move.  They are tied again when it comes to old tribal lines.  No one really has anything to lose at this point, so alliances might be interesting next week.

Gabby had a very valid point about Carl bringing Kara (Alec’s #1 ally) into the fold and her knowing about the vote before Gabby.

Christian and Alec's epic 5 hour battle reminded me why I love Survivor. People are unknowable. You think you know them and what they can do, but you're usually wrong. I would never have thought there was the slightest chance of Christian out lasting Alec, let alone that he'd do it while talking nonstop. I just love how unpredictable and mysterious people are, and Survivor brings that home to me every season. 

The one thing I've grown to hate about modern day IC is that they are over so quickly.  We use to have endurance challenges that would end long after the sun went down.  Nowadays, they can be over in an hour (or less).  So I was glad that Christian and Alec hung on as long as they did.  Gabby, too.  I don't think Christian was hurting nearly as much as Alec. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 9

Ouch.

I took pictures of my favourite moments.

Stakes seem so much lower ever since Alec was knocked out of the game.  It's now the point of the game where no matter what team is created, they're physically pretty evenly matched.  The point where I always bail watching old seasons.  All the big players have been knocked out.  Well, we'll see what happens.

4695 500.jpg

47226215_314045519203713_5142334880025149440_n.jpg

46931307_189666055316908_1671996211025936384_n.jpg

47173816_275882956399000_8775659195606237184_n.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9

I didn't realize this was a double episode so that was a surprise. But in the end, though it was basically a 2-hour deconstruction of how despite superior numbers Carl managed to torpedo his own game through arrogance and drunkenness. Interesting how quickly he got a villain edit.

The good news was this was a Gabby-Fest and I loved it!  So many great shots of her tonight...she was made for the camera. I'm so happy that she's ascended to a power position after she was continually having her name thrown out as a target in the pre-merge but for no good reason. The only thing I don't like is that she is aligning with Mike who I cannot stand (Tracy Flick reference aside which was awesome). It too bad he got to eat on both rewards but I wanted Gabby to get the food on the first one so it was a necessary evil that he got to eat too.

Dan is a bitter jury member. Love it!

I want to like Kara just based on her hotness but she was kind of stupid being all indignant about Carl discussing Alec as the next boot when she should have been happy it wasn't her name being floated. Plus I know she didn't mean anything by it but the calling a spade a spade was just a clumsy, awkward choice of words.

I believe Christian was wrong when he said this was likely his only chance to play...if he doesn't win he's a lock to return at some point and he completely won me over tonight with his filibustering on the torture stand..and props to my Gabby for being the longest lasting female up on that pole!

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 15
19 minutes ago, Marmiarmo said:

I didn’t have a problem with Carl having the wrong word.  Jeff said an 11-letter word, which perception is not.  I know they’re hot, hungry, tired, blah blah blah, but if you can spell out perception on Day 30, you can count to 11 on Day 30.

Fair enough, but if he had simply removed the S and made it “perception”, it still wouldn’t have counted so my point stands. (Edited because, duh, perceptions is 11 letters so my point really stands lol!)

24 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I still don't like Dan now that he's on the jury. His arrogance is still overwhelming.  Camp life is more interesting without him.

God, yes! I don’t know why they feel the need to caption his stupid jury comments. STFU Dan! You’re no Courtney.

14 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Interesting turn of events as the Davids are becoming even more arrogant and cocky than the Goliaths ever were in my opinion

Speaking of perspectives (heh) I don’t see them as being cocky at all. 

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 7

Good pix, Ms Blue Jay. I cringed a little wondering how Carl and his family felt watching that last one, the one where he's drinking beer lying down. Hopefully, they all thought it was hilarious. Carl was certainly a good sport in his final comments, I have to say. 

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, Marmiarmo said:

He spelled out "perceptions." Eleven letters.

• Love 17
9 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I'm hard-pressed to remember when a player, appropos of nothing, brought up a personal accomplishment that wasn't related to a vote or a challenge win (two things that impact the game), for the sole benefit of making sure the jury heard about it. At final tribal council, sure -- but to me, this was like a kid interrupting an adult conversation with "Oh, oh, oh, and I did this today at school."

I honestly don't see the difference.  Your job as a Survivor player is to make sure the jurors know what you did during the game in order to get them to vore for you if you should make the final three. She would be stupid not to mention it.  Though I suspect Jeff initially brought it up but we were just never shown it.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 6

I hope the Carl vote comes a bites Christian and Gabby in the ass.  They gave  up the Number advantage and if Davie is the next causality because of it I will really dislike them.  I know the show really really wants me to like Christian but people they try to shove down my throat with the edit are never my favorite.

Nick has really grown on me.

• Love 20
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

He spelled out "perceptions." Eleven letters.

Oh.  My closed captioning said “perception”...singular.

I still don’t have a problem with his answer being wrong.  They had a word in mind for the answer and he gave them a different answer.  It can fit and still be wrong, as anyone who does crossword puzzles can attest.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, LanceM said:

I honestly don't see the difference.  Your job as a Survivor players is to make sure the jurors know what you did during the game in order to get them to vore for you if you should make the final three. She would be stupid not to mention it.  Though I suspect Jeff initially brought it up but we were just never shown it.

I think it’s ridiculous that Angelina thinks the rice thing is going to help her at all. It won’t get her any votes if she makes it to the final TC. Which she probably won’t because people will be more than happy to say “Thanks for the rice, sucker!” as they write her name down.

• Love 15

I am loving this season. There has been some epically great game play and some epically awful game play. 

Alec hosed himself by trying to keep the Davids vote at final tribal council. He never should have told Nick abut the Christian vote. Alec did that because he wanted Nick’s vote at final tribal but wasn’t ready to leave the Goliaths. 

Carl hosed himself by being Carl. He really liked lying around and telling people what to do. The only down side to Carl’s fall is that it might hurt Nick and Davie. 

Christian is in a good spot but still has a target on his back. He has been great in the social game. Who expeted that? But Christian has been there to comfort Gabby and then Aliso. He formed real bonds with John and Dan. And then he wins an epic immunity challenge. I loved the story telling. I loved everyone elses response to the story telling. People were smiling and laughing, well, not Alec.

Gabby is Gabby. Gabby needs to learn to use her voice. I don’t care if she cries, crying a normal way to release stress and frustration. Crying is a natural reaction. Crying is just fine. But Gabby needs to talk to people. She should not have Christian translating for her to Carl or anyone else. If Gabby has a problem with Carl, then talk to Carl. Or don’t talk to Carl but stop bitching and do something. Instead, she lets Christian do something. Christian pulls in Mike for the Carl vote. Right now, Gabby is in a bad spot because she does not give a vibe of confidence. She is not trusted by Davie and Nick. 

Alison and Kara are pawns and I think they know that. I think they want to be something else but that they missed their shot. 

Mike and Angelina think that they are in a better position then they are. Angelina sat out a challenge to prove her faith in the new alliance and build her resume. Master negotiators course my ass. I am sure she took it but oh my god, just eye rolls galore. I am not sure that she gets that she is at the bottom of her alliance, or that she is a pawn, or that she is a goat. 

Mike is another one who is kind of clueless. 

The thing is, Mike and Angelina are low enough in both groups that they are going to be the ones people turn to. No one sees them as a threat. So they can fly under the radar while people target Christian and Alison. 

I am not sure that Nick and Davie are seen badly. I think most of the blame is going to fall on Carl. But I am not sure how much credit Nick and Davie are getting for their game plan.

Over all, a great season.

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Gabby and Angelina are stereotypical examples of why women have a hard time in the workforce.

Gabby is a cry baby who comes across as dumb and helpless, and is always looking for approval from, or to be rescued by a man.  “Why don’t they like meeee?”  “Do you think I’m smarter/prettier/cooler than those other girls?”  She is too emotional and looks weak.

Angelina is an aggressive and abrasive egomaniac who thinks humble bragging (and not so humble) about her abilities and her resume somehow elevates her above others.  Yet she really doesn’t have the goods to back it up.  She is at best a delta or a gamma in the group, but thinks and acts as if she’s an alpha.  

I agree with your descriptions of these two and why THEY would have problems in the workforce. I dont think most women have trouble in the work force any more except at companies without diversity training. 

• Love 5

I don't think I have ever enjoyed a season as much as I have this one.   Bravo, editors!!!

Kara was right tonight when she was expressing her wtf about Carl telling her who was getting voted out.  Carl was loyal to his tribe, but I could see why some were ready to boot him.   He could've been a loose cannon in the future, freely sharing who was going to get the vote at the next tribal.  

I wish Survivor would stop serving alcohol in the rewards.  It's not going to be a good look for some people and I get uncomfortable watching people make fools of themselves.   They haven't had any alchoholic beverages in a month, they've eaten minimally, so of course any amount of alchohol is going to affect them.   I felt bad for Carl.   

In terms of the length of tonight's endurance immunity challenge, I think I remember, from the second season, Tina standing on some stump in the water for about twelve hours.   Too lazy to google it.

Can someone give a combined Emmy to Christian and the editors for his endless talking during the challenge and Alec's responses?    I could watch that over and over again.   

Edited by EllipticalAddicted
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Survivor" isn't a workplace, for crying out loud.  It's nowhere near one or even remotely comparable.

No but I understand the comparison there. If a woman shows any emotion (sadness, excitement, etc.), she’s usually labeled by men as being crazy or emotional. Hell, even if a woman is being totally calm and rational, male counterparts still tend to tell them to “Calm down” or “Relax”. I see it happen on a daily basis. Yes, I know, “not all men” and all that jazz but it happens A LOT. Which is probably one of the reasons Gabby mentioned it. However, in this particular case, it’s an apt description of Gabby. And there are a lot of men who will see that and it will only embolden their stereotypes about ALL women being like that.

• Love 20
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Survivor" isn't a workplace, for crying out loud.  It's nowhere near one or even remotely comparable.

I look at Survivor as an intense social game as much as it is a game of strength, cognitive skills, and endurance.  For many people I know, the workplace is also an arena where all those things occur. I was just stating my opinion that I think Gabby and Angelina represent some of the least likeable, but unfortunately, culturally ingrained, attributes associated with why women aren’t equal to men...whether it’s in an office, or in a classroom or on an island in Fiji.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I agree with your descriptions of these two and why THEY would have problems in the workforce. I dont think most women have trouble in the work force any more except at companies without diversity training. 

Have you sat through diversity training? The annual training I have to attend is pure lip service to the idea of diversity training. It is a way for the company to reduce its exposure to damages in case of a law suit. Gabby and Angelina are the stereotypes that many people dread working with. They are also both young and still learning and growing. Hopefully they will grow a bunch more and develop some real confidence that will help them chill out a bit. 

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Survivor" isn't a workplace, for crying out loud.  It's nowhere near one or even remotely comparable.

I agree. It boggles my mind when people make judgments like this based on how a highly manipulated reality tv show.

• Love 4

Has anyone thought that it would be fitting that a guy named "Davie" would win Survivor: David vs. Goliath? Or did you think of that weeks ago?

Wow, Alec looked like he was dying. And not being deaf didn't help matters. Christian rambling on and on and on has to be against the Geneva Convention, if not merely against unwritten rules. I don't think he just decided to do it . . . he probably planned that for years. And it worked. And I'm impressed. The guy is gonna break our hearts, but we're living in the moment.

One thing . . . in a "schoolyard pick" Reward Challenge, how does Mike get picked over Christian? What, was the fear that he would blather endlessly about the mental formulas needed to perform a diving layup or dunk? "You see, lobbing the ball on the fly isn't a good thing. As you can see on this spreadsheet-" "Fuck off. MIKE! I changed my mind!!!"

Carl seems like a nice guy, but we needed a cautionary tale about getting too comfy in the game. I think I'm finally getting into the season. I reckon the problem is starting with twenty people and merging at 13. Too many faces to memorize. I needed Erik Reichenbach to show who the main attractions were last week.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 6