Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

She-Ra And The Princesses Of Power

Well, I'm an old guy, as when Secret of the Sword was released I was a young lad of 7. I remember my friend and I just enjoying the movie and our mothers quietly laughing. However, I loved the show and was so disappointed back in the 2004 series that we never got season 3 and She-ra showing up. Saw all the designs, but so sad we didn't get to see her. Even read that they tried to get Chris Britt to do the voice of Shadow Weaver. 

Not to be a killjoy, but I’m really disappointed with that look/style, especially after thinking the teaser poster was terrific. Ah well.

• Like 1

Have they said how old She-Ra is supposed to be in this reboot? Aurora and especially She-Ra look like they are in their teens. I'm not thrilled with the look/style either. I want to comment on what She-Ra looks like in the linked pictures but I don't want to offend anyone. I've been watching the older He-Man and She-Ra episodes on Twitch which they are showing on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays so these screenshots/promotional stuff for the reboot has been a real contrast.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2

Old She-Ra seasons are on Netflix as well. 

I’m not concerned about their younger look. As long as it’s a good show I’ll be fine. 

I'll start.  I remember casually liking She-Ra as a child, but holy crap, this was so much better.  The design change took some getting used to, but the story arcs were very well done and the characters were great.  I love that Adora was both a bad-ass and kind of a dork, which didn't change when she became She-Ra.  Her turn from the Horde and her friendship with Bow and Glimmer happened a little fast, but was still believable.  

Catra was also well conceived.  I thought she was being a bit self pitying when she complained that Adora abandoned her, after Adora repeatedly asked Catra to join her.  However, she did have a point when in a later episode, she blamed Adora for always trying to protect her and (inadvertently) holding her back.      

• Like 1

Whoever wrote the scene of Adora seeing a horse for the first time fully captured the absolute love many many little girls have of horses. Or, at least, this one. I just sat there going 'that was me... that was me... this is so relatable because that was me...'

I haven't completed the first season yet but I am loving it. I also really loved the whole bit of Adora in the 'standard' room at Bright Moon.

• Like 1

As a child of the 80s, He-Man was my favorite toy, so of course I loved the cartoon and, by extension, She-Ra. I was wary when I saw clips from this new show, but I have to say after watching the first season, I am hooked. I love how it was a slow burn and they actually spent time developing the characters and relationships before diving right into plot. Looking forward to the next season.

And I really liked a lot of the voice work. I especially liked Lauren Ash (aka Dina on Superstore) who played Scorpia and AJ Michalka (Lainey on the Goldbergs) as Catra. My only disappointment was Hordak. I was fine with his lack of screen time, as I'm sure he will become more prevalent in upcoming seasons, but I thought the voicing was mediocre. He wasn't at all menacing and I wondered why everyone was so afraid of him. Shadow Weaver was much more of a bad ass (until the last episodes that is).

Also would love (though I'm not hopeful) to see other Horde members like Mantenna and Modulok. I realize there are a lot of characters now, but most are good guys, so I want them to fill out the bad side a bit.

• Like 1

Whoo, second season premiered!  Thoughts:

• I wish we have more than seven episodes.  It felt like the season was just getting really good when... it ended.

The rest in spoilers:

Spoiler
  • I like the natural tension between Catra and Glimmer, as both probably resent the other for having been/being Adora's best friend.
  • The boy Micah with Light Spinner was Glimmer's dad, right?
  • My favorite episodes were the last two.  Bow has two dads!  And 12 brothers!
  • Entrapta becoming Hordak's new favorite was well done, though somewhat unsurprising, given that she was the only one who knows anything about how to create powerful weapons.
  • I wonder if the other Princesses know she's not dead?
  • Could the star system referenced in the last episode be the location of Eternia?
  • I'm REALLY interested to know what happened to Mara.
  • Catra and Shadow Weaver's relationship was so interesting.  I think Shadow Weaver was sincere about seeing Catra as being like her, but also used it to manipulate her.
  • Like 1

The fact that Bow's dad has a tattoo in First Ones that he had no idea what it meant tickled me to no end. It reminds of all of those tattoos of chinese characters.

• Like 1

This version of Hordak is like the MOST hands-off head evil guy ever.  The occasional threat to the underlings and very little else from him.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, rogvortex58 said:

Good show.

I hope Adora learns more about Eternia and where she came from in the next season.

I'm three episodes in and they aren't yet going there. I mean really they don't seem very committed to probing into Adora's past.

Edit - Okay, by Episode 6 we do get a little bit of her origin. A smidgen at least. It looks like this is a setup for Episode 7, which I'm about to see. 

Edit Again - Or... it could be about Bow's two gay Dads and their Library. 

Edited by Kromm

Were those few episodes really the entirety of season 2? My daughter was convinced it was just a half season. Arrrrgh! We loved what we got, but we are so ready for more!

Catra's story arc makes my heart hurt. Her relationship with Shadow Weaver is so toxic. 

7 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

Were those few episodes really the entirety of season 2? My daughter was convinced it was just a half season. Arrrrgh! We loved what we got, but we are so ready for more!

Catra's story arc makes my heart hurt. Her relationship with Shadow Weaver is so toxic. 

IMDB says the 3rd season drops on Aug. 2nd. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

Since Scorpia has a runestone, shouldn’t she need to be part of the Princess alliance to make it complete? She was invited to the Princess ball, after all. 

Season 3 felt more like the second part of Season 2, so that's how I'll treat it (2 seasons of 13 episodes makes more sense than one season with 7 and the next with 6).

Overall, much more emotional and focused than the first 7 episodes.

Spoiler

I liked Adora learning that she was a First One and wondering if her family was still alive.  The episodes were really well paced, with my quibble being once the porthole was opened, why did Adora suddenly wake up in this alternate reality where everything was "perfect"?  I get that time/space was collapsing, but why in this specific way?  I thought her having to figure out what was going on stole some momentum from the season as a whole. 

Also, based on reviews about this being a major reset, I was expecting something like Etheria blowing up and the characters being refugees in another dimension.  Then again, Angella has disappeared for who knows how long, Shadow Weaver is poised to become Glimmer's Dark Mommy figure, Entrapta seems like she'll be creeping back to the side of good, and Scorpia like she's finally figured out who Catra is.  Oh, and from other comments, it appears Glimmer's dad might be alive.  So that's not nothing.

• Like 1

Spoiler

So all the Princesses leave Entrapta behind once again. I don't know how Entrapta will be able to trust them.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:57 AM, AnimeMania said:
  Hide contents

So all the Princesses leave Entrapta behind once again. I don't know how Entrapta will be able to trust them.

They didn't, though.  I'm just going to leave this open since people have had enough time to watch the episodes by now.

Before the princesses left the Fright Zone, Catra knocked Entrapta out and had her hauled off to Beast Island.  I doubt she was aware of when they left, and they/Adora assumed she had rejected them again (since she didn't respond to Adora's apology).

My guess is in Season Four, they will realize Entrapta is on Beast Island and *dramatic pause* team up with Scorpia to rescue her.  

Only to find that she's somehow thrived on Beast Island and become their queen...

• Like 1

The story continues to be great, but it's also unfolding SO slowly.  Great, we finally get a justification for Hordak being such a weenie. He's not the real Hordak (or at least he's only a clone of a guy with a similar name who's actually apparently competent).  I'm sure that will begin to pay off. But knowing this show, Horwhateverhisnameis showing up will be slow played and take all next season to happen.

And what about Eternia?  We haven't even gotten a hint about it.  I would have said they're leaving it out for licensing reasons, but didn't we at least hear the name once?  So let's actually get some details already.  We don't necessarily need a Prince Adam and a He-Man and a Skeletor, but if Hordak's original version is out there is he just Emperor of Everything?  Or is there an Eternia not under his power (and if so why)?  

• Like 1