Type keyword(s) to search

She-Ra And The Princesses Of Power - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well, I'm an old guy, as when Secret of the Sword was released I was a young lad of 7. I remember my friend and I just enjoying the movie and our mothers quietly laughing. However, I loved the show and was so disappointed back in the 2004 series that we never got season 3 and She-ra showing up. Saw all the designs, but so sad we didn't get to see her. Even read that they tried to get Chris Britt to do the voice of Shadow Weaver. 

(edited)

Have they said how old She-Ra is supposed to be in this reboot? Aurora and especially She-Ra look like they are in their teens. I'm not thrilled with the look/style either. I want to comment on what She-Ra looks like in the linked pictures but I don't want to offend anyone. I've been watching the older He-Man and She-Ra episodes on Twitch which they are showing on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays so these screenshots/promotional stuff for the reboot has been a real contrast.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

I'll start.  I remember casually liking She-Ra as a child, but holy crap, this was so much better.  The design change took some getting used to, but the story arcs were very well done and the characters were great.  I love that Adora was both a bad-ass and kind of a dork, which didn't change when she became She-Ra.  Her turn from the Horde and her friendship with Bow and Glimmer happened a little fast, but was still believable.  

Catra was also well conceived.  I thought she was being a bit self pitying when she complained that Adora abandoned her, after Adora repeatedly asked Catra to join her.  However, she did have a point when in a later episode, she blamed Adora for always trying to protect her and (inadvertently) holding her back.      

• Love 2

Whoever wrote the scene of Adora seeing a horse for the first time fully captured the absolute love many many little girls have of horses. Or, at least, this one. I just sat there going 'that was me... that was me... this is so relatable because that was me...'

I haven't completed the first season yet but I am loving it. I also really loved the whole bit of Adora in the 'standard' room at Bright Moon.

• Love 2

As a child of the 80s, He-Man was my favorite toy, so of course I loved the cartoon and, by extension, She-Ra. I was wary when I saw clips from this new show, but I have to say after watching the first season, I am hooked. I love how it was a slow burn and they actually spent time developing the characters and relationships before diving right into plot. Looking forward to the next season.

And I really liked a lot of the voice work. I especially liked Lauren Ash (aka Dina on Superstore) who played Scorpia and AJ Michalka (Lainey on the Goldbergs) as Catra. My only disappointment was Hordak. I was fine with his lack of screen time, as I'm sure he will become more prevalent in upcoming seasons, but I thought the voicing was mediocre. He wasn't at all menacing and I wondered why everyone was so afraid of him. Shadow Weaver was much more of a bad ass (until the last episodes that is).

Also would love (though I'm not hopeful) to see other Horde members like Mantenna and Modulok. I realize there are a lot of characters now, but most are good guys, so I want them to fill out the bad side a bit.

• Love 1

Whoo, second season premiered!  Thoughts:

• I wish we have more than seven episodes.  It felt like the season was just getting really good when... it ended.

The rest in spoilers:

Spoiler
  • I like the natural tension between Catra and Glimmer, as both probably resent the other for having been/being Adora's best friend.
  • The boy Micah with Light Spinner was Glimmer's dad, right?
  • My favorite episodes were the last two.  Bow has two dads!  And 12 brothers!
  • Entrapta becoming Hordak's new favorite was well done, though somewhat unsurprising, given that she was the only one who knows anything about how to create powerful weapons.
  • I wonder if the other Princesses know she's not dead?
  • Could the star system referenced in the last episode be the location of Eternia?
  • I'm REALLY interested to know what happened to Mara.
  • Catra and Shadow Weaver's relationship was so interesting.  I think Shadow Weaver was sincere about seeing Catra as being like her, but also used it to manipulate her.
  • Love 1
(edited)

This version of Hordak is like the MOST hands-off head evil guy ever.  The occasional threat to the underlings and very little else from him.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, rogvortex58 said:

Good show.

I hope Adora learns more about Eternia and where she came from in the next season.

I'm three episodes in and they aren't yet going there. I mean really they don't seem very committed to probing into Adora's past.

Edit - Okay, by Episode 6 we do get a little bit of her origin. A smidgen at least. It looks like this is a setup for Episode 7, which I'm about to see. 

Edit Again - Or... it could be about Bow's two gay Dads and their Library. 

Edited by Kromm

Were those few episodes really the entirety of season 2? My daughter was convinced it was just a half season. Arrrrgh! We loved what we got, but we are so ready for more!

Catra's story arc makes my heart hurt. Her relationship with Shadow Weaver is so toxic. 

(edited)
7 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

Were those few episodes really the entirety of season 2? My daughter was convinced it was just a half season. Arrrrgh! We loved what we got, but we are so ready for more!

Catra's story arc makes my heart hurt. Her relationship with Shadow Weaver is so toxic. 

IMDB says the 3rd season drops on Aug. 2nd. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

Season 3 felt more like the second part of Season 2, so that's how I'll treat it (2 seasons of 13 episodes makes more sense than one season with 7 and the next with 6).

Overall, much more emotional and focused than the first 7 episodes.

Spoiler

I liked Adora learning that she was a First One and wondering if her family was still alive.  The episodes were really well paced, with my quibble being once the porthole was opened, why did Adora suddenly wake up in this alternate reality where everything was "perfect"?  I get that time/space was collapsing, but why in this specific way?  I thought her having to figure out what was going on stole some momentum from the season as a whole. 

Also, based on reviews about this being a major reset, I was expecting something like Etheria blowing up and the characters being refugees in another dimension.  Then again, Angella has disappeared for who knows how long, Shadow Weaver is poised to become Glimmer's Dark Mommy figure, Entrapta seems like she'll be creeping back to the side of good, and Scorpia like she's finally figured out who Catra is.  Oh, and from other comments, it appears Glimmer's dad might be alive.  So that's not nothing.

• Love 1
On 8/7/2019 at 5:57 AM, AnimeMania said:
  Hide contents

So all the Princesses leave Entrapta behind once again. I don't know how Entrapta will be able to trust them.

They didn't, though.  I'm just going to leave this open since people have had enough time to watch the episodes by now.

Before the princesses left the Fright Zone, Catra knocked Entrapta out and had her hauled off to Beast Island.  I doubt she was aware of when they left, and they/Adora assumed she had rejected them again (since she didn't respond to Adora's apology).

My guess is in Season Four, they will realize Entrapta is on Beast Island and *dramatic pause* team up with Scorpia to rescue her.  

Only to find that she's somehow thrived on Beast Island and become their queen...

• Love 1

The story continues to be great, but it's also unfolding SO slowly.  Great, we finally get a justification for Hordak being such a weenie. He's not the real Hordak (or at least he's only a clone of a guy with a similar name who's actually apparently competent).  I'm sure that will begin to pay off. But knowing this show, Horwhateverhisnameis showing up will be slow played and take all next season to happen.

And what about Eternia?  We haven't even gotten a hint about it.  I would have said they're leaving it out for licensing reasons, but didn't we at least hear the name once?  So let's actually get some details already.  We don't necessarily need a Prince Adam and a He-Man and a Skeletor, but if Hordak's original version is out there is he just Emperor of Everything?  Or is there an Eternia not under his power (and if so why)?  

• Love 1

WARNING! SPOILERS AHOY!

The latest season... oh, the drama! Not a bad thing, mind you. I liked how they explored the tension between Adora and Glimmer, especially now since Glimmer is queen.

I really feel for Adora. It's easy to dismiss her as the generic hero protagonist, but Adora has gone through a ton of loss. She realizes that the Horde, basically the only family and cause she's ever known, are evil oppressors, and has to leave them. She is forced to abandon Catra, who was her best friend (and possibly more?), and is now her biggest enemy. Light Hope, it turns out, isn't exactly the sage mentor we assumed she was. Adora learns about her origins (somewhat, anyway), and that she's had next to no say in anything in her life. Queen Angella gave her life to save Etheria, which Adora no doubt feels crippling guilt over. Now she seems to be losing Glimmer, in no small part due to Shadow Weaver, Adora's failed mother figure. 

I loved the addition of Double Trouble. Jacob Tobia does a magnificent job voicing them, and I love how unapologetically, unabashedly evil they are. This season seems to be hinting at some semblance of redemption arc for Catra (which, eh, no thanks), so I love how Double Trouble relishes in their own wickedness. I miss pure evil villains. 

I wasn't crazy about Scorpia at first, but she really won me over this season. Her bonding with Frosta and calling her "little buddy" tugged at the heartstrings. I feel her redemption arc has been done well (which is rare).

UO: Sorry, but Entrapta does nothing for me. I think- no, scratch that, it's definitely her voice. I get why people like her, so that's all the negativity you'll get from me.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 1

I'll have more comments later, but I don't quite get what the situation is with Light Hope.  She was originally programmed to train She-Ra, but at some point was reprogrammed to initiate the weapon.  At what point was she reprogrammed?  

ETA: It's later.  Other thoughts:

- It's funny how much Queen Glimmer channels her mother.  At the same time, you see a lot of the same rashness and occasional resorting to extremes that Glimmer showed before she became Queen.

- I don't get Light Hope.  The idea that she is fairly sentient and can feel emotion seems to be fairly new to this season, as before she seemed pleasant, but definitely a program.  I feel like they rushed her characterization a bit.

- She-Ra's purpose confuses me, too.  Is she meant to protect Etheria or to be a weapon... or both?

- I'm glad Kyle is less of a punching bag this season and actually has some character moments.

- Glad Scorpia is joining the Rebels and Adora and Bow got Entrapta... and Glimmer's dad!

- If Etheria is in the same universe as the other planets, I wonder if we'll finally see Eternia.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

- If Etheria is in the same universe as the other planets, I wonder if we'll finally see Eternia.

I keep wondering that, too. I mean, this show has gone on just fine without a He-Man cameo, but they sure seem to be heading in that direction. The articles I've read tend to lean more towards "maybe, but most likely not".

One thing's for certain: Netflix Skeletor will never have anything on 1980s Skeletor (sorry to be "that person", but I can't help it).

On 11/1/2019 at 4:06 AM, TheGourmez said:

New episodes coming soon! As I dressed up as Glimmer for Halloween, can't say I'm looking forward to her costume transition, but I'm willing to accept it if the story is good enough.

It seems to me they made a few subtle changes to make Glimmer seem a tiny bit older, although that could just as easily be written off as just Queen accoutrements. 

On 11/11/2019 at 12:55 AM, Kromm said:

It seems to me they made a few subtle changes to make Glimmer seem a tiny bit older, although that could just as easily be written off as just Queen accoutrements. 

I think the changes accomplish both just fine, and I'm glad she's still bigger on the bottom, though her face and neck have become slender. I like the representations of larger girls doing great!

I agree @Brn2bwild, on being unsure about Light Hope. I think, at this point, we're  supposed to believe that the First People were bad people and that they invented She-Ra and the weapon to become all powerful in the galaxy, which Mara stopped by pulling the planet out of the dimension, and that was always meant to be Light Hope's purpose, to train the She-Ra and keep that dark purpose hidden from her until the planet was in balance and it was too late. I'm not sure if the present day princesses and their people are supposed to be descendants of the First People or if they are rather indigenous populations that were already there before the First People migrated to Etheria.

This show is so good, I'm loath to criticize what appear to be inconsistencies.  But Season Three involved opening a porthole to return Etheria to the other dimension or at least to let Horde Prime pass through, and a big deal was about how it would make reality in Etheria unstable.  Then in the last episode, Light Hope returns Etheria through a porthole to the old dimension no problem.  Huh?

On 11/12/2019 at 11:21 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Then in the last episode, Light Hope returns Etheria through a porthole to the old dimension no problem.

Etheria wasn't balanced before, and it is now.

I just finished watching the most recent episodes, and wow, Noelle Stevenson is not afraid of upending things. She-Ra's sword destroyed?! I need the next batch of episodes now!

(edited)

Welp, time to say goodbye to She-Ra, something that I don't think I'm ready for.  An excellent final season for an excellent series.  Some specific thoughts:

- I thought the friends and enemies blended together really well, and just about everyone had a moment to discuss their feelings or work through their issues.  The only ones I missed were Lonnie and Kyle, whom we saw only in that brief scene.

- I thought Glimmer's reunion with her dad would be more substantial than: "Missed you, Dad!  Now I'm going off to explore outer space once again."  And I guess Angelica really is gone (at least on a day to day level).  Sniff.

- I'm also surprised we never learned whether Eternia is still in existence, but I suppose that's left open at the end.

- I loved Perfuma's words about having an open heart making her vulnerable, but not weak.  And the general theme that love and friendship are stronger than hate.  Now Scorpia has a true bestie!

- Interesting how Shadow Weaver pulled a lot of the same mind games with Micah/Castra as with Adora/Catra, treating one as the favorite and the other as clearly inferior.  I wonder if Castra/Catra picked up on it.  

- I liked how the opening credits changed as the season unfolded.

And then of course:

Spoiler

There is the Adora-Catra kiss, making subtext text.  We've come a long way from Korra and Asami holding hands and standing in a beam of light.

By contrast, when Glimmer and Bow said that they loved each other, I took it to mean like family, at least on Bow's end.  He kissed Glimmer on the forehead, maybe with a bit of regret that he didn't feel anything toward her romantically?  If Glimmer was upset that her romantic feelings for him were not requited, she did not show it.  I can't imagine hanging around with someone as long as they did and thinking Bow was straight. [ETA: From comments I've read, I seem to be the only one who thinks they're not a romantic couple.]

Was that vision Adora had of the four of them supposed to be the future?  Interesting that Adora was wearing a She-Ra-like outfit even though she wasn't She-Ra.  Maybe this was Princess Prom 10 years later?

Edited by Brn2bwild
11 hours ago, TheGourmez said:

I want to know where people are discussing She-Ra, @Brn2bwild! Because it's clearly not here. LOL.

The only place I know of offhand is Reddit, which I'm not a member of.  Disappointing, because this place seems just like the sort that would be really into this great show.

Late to the party but just watched the last episode and man it was good!  I teared up a few times this last season. Shadow Weaver's death got me more than I thought it would even if she was a terrible person. Her telling Catra she was proud of her was perfect. And then the kiss! 

It was amazing how basically everyone ended up on the side of good - even Hordak. I thought it was a good ending but still left open the possibility of more. 

And I assumed Bow and Glimmer were a thing based on the future vision (which I guess could not have been real) but I'm open to whatever. The only pairing I wasn't really a fan of was Mermista/Sea Hawk. They both amused me independently, but I didn't feel the chemistry. 

My favorite character was probably Scorpia. She had the coolest character arc to me and evolved so well. My reference for Lauren Ash is Superstore, so it was great to see a softer side to the character, which I didn't think would happen early on.

• Love 2