Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Star Witness

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, NaughtyKitty said:

It was an awesome line, but I hope it doesn't get her into trouble

Nah, Leah said from jump street that she gave Valerie a job.  I see that Leah's in the new Jennifer Lopez movie "Second Act."  May have to go see it!

I would have given anything to see that Producer's face when Valerie climbed out of his trunk.  

Edited by Carolina Girl
Save you the trouble of combining back to back comments

I am glad she is out and making a nice living working for Leah.  And even though I believe her....  This is likely unpopular opinion but her statements would be more compelling if she wasn't on Remini's payroll.  Why did Remind hire her?  As an assistant or to work with the show because of her previous production work?  

20 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

I am glad she is out and making a nice living working for Leah.  And even though I believe her....  This is likely unpopular opinion but her statements would be more compelling if she wasn't on Remini's payroll.  Why did Remind hire her?  As an assistant or to work with the show because of her previous production work?  

It is sometimes very hard for an exscientologist to find employment. Scientology has people standing outside your job watching everyone. They make incessant calls about the employee. They bad mouth the business. Some businesses can't deal with all this.

10 minutes ago, retiredviewer said:

It is sometimes very hard for an exscientologist to find employment. Scientology has people standing outside your job watching everyone. They make incessant calls about the employee. They bad mouth the business. Some businesses can't deal with all this.

I have heard stories  how they send letters that the person is a pedophile and other awful things.  

2 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

Agree.

It came across to me that she was hired to work on the show. I would assume because of her production experience, but also for her knowledge of $cientology. Meaning, she was close with Shelly, worked for David, has inside "secrets"about Gold, etc. 

Edited by juliet73

Technically, isn't this actually S3 E1? The Jehovah's Witnesses was a one-off special.

I knew this would be a good one when I saw who it was.

I think that despite the threatening letters from the COS's legal team, any jury would know damn well that Valerie's recorded "exit interview" (or whatever they call it) was coercion. Clearly, Mike and Leah have oodles of witnesses who can testify and substantiate almost everything that Valerie says - including Mike himself. I don't think the "church" would dare to take her to court for that very reason. The only thing they really have at their disposal is their usual intimidation tactics. 

I can see where a casual observer might suspect Valerie has ulterior motives since she's now in Leah's employ, but there have simply been too many other people coming forward telling the same sort of stories at this point that the show doesn't need to make shit up. Those other people don't work for the show, presumably.

I can't believe nobody has seen Shelly Miscavige since 2006.

5 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

It's also hard to get employment if your previous employer was the CO$ (as opposed to say a business run by a $cientologist) because you don't have the normal paper trail of W2's to document your employment at the level that your claiming. You can say, I ran a video editing group but if your W2 shows you made $2k last year, a potential employer might think you were lying. And of course, CO$ isn't going to verify your employment or give a reference of any kind. You're stuck until someone gives you an initial chance to get legitimate work.

I really enjoyed this episode and for once I didn't cry. That escape in the trunk of a car was great stuff. I love that she was watching a story about brainwashing in the Korean War and was like OMG that's what they are doing to us. Time to take these bastards down. (In a totally legal nonviolent way of course). 

10 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

"That is a LIE!  She makes a lot more than that..."  LOL!!  Welcome back, Leah!

That was my favorite part.  That and actually seeing Mike laugh.   

Besides the constant harassment someone in Valerie Haney's position would have gotten she has zero real world education.  She said it herself she doesn't even have a GED.  It would take years for her to even squeak out an existence.   But she does have experience that Leah can use and I can see the Exes helping each other out where they can.

Edited by Chaos Theory

First off, it's wrong to laugh at such a serious, life-threatening situation but the scenario of Valerie popping out of a very shocked actor's trunk just cracked me the hell up. Her escape is so outlandish that if it were written as fiction, no one would believe a word of it.

She made a very strong and compelling case for the magnitude of psychopathy going on in the CO$. It had to have been a very difficult interview for Mike when she discussed the abuses she witnessed him suffering at Miscavige's hand. And the continual harassment she seems to have suffered in the months since this interview, while totally unsurprising by now, are still so awful. The only thing that amazes me about CO$ at this point is how many different ways they manage to make people suffer while following the exact same guidelines.

Valerie’s story made me stop and think, once again, that Miscavige is an ass of a man. What kind of weirdo uses puppets to humiliate his executives, or has them wear paper plate masks to talk through? There is something seriously screwed up in his head. He deserves to be back handed by a long line of people and then thrown in his own personal hole for a number of years. Personally I think his buddy Tom should go with him. I wholeheartedly believe, no matter what good guy act he puts on, that Cruise is aware of the crazy control crap Davey practices. They can lick the floor or clean the bathroom with toothbrushes while being screamed at in 100+ degree heat. At this point this doesn’t sound like a “religion” at all. It sounds like a vehicle existing to feed a psychopath’s fantasies and make lots of money. 

`I would like to have heard more about why -- having gone through the hell of escaping -- she went back because her father told her to.  I assume he's still a Scientologist, although no longer SeaOrg.  What did he say to her to convince her that she had to go back?

52 minutes ago, buckboard said:

`I would like to have heard more about why -- having gone through the hell of escaping -- she went back because her father told her to.  I assume he's still a Scientologist, although no longer SeaOrg.  What did he say to her to convince her that she had to go back?

I thought so they wouldn’t have to disconnect. He wanted her to leave the “right” way. 

Did she say how long it took her to get out again once she went back? If so, I missed it. 

Is any of this ever investigated by the authorities?  I admit I don't know much about that with regard to Scientology.  There have been more than enough criminal charges made on this show to raise suspicion and put them under a spotlight.  Shelly's disappearance is just shocking.  Has no one from outside of Scientology tried to find her or at least put pressure on Miscavage to tell what happened to her?  We have shows all about trying to find Hitler, for chrissakes, but with this it's crickets.   I guess everyone is afraid, but why is this bogus organization allowed to have that much unchecked power?

7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I believe the local police have investigated and said basically "Nothing to see here, folks, just move along".  I always got the impression they were being paid off.

Funny how LAPD never finds anything amiss with Scientology.  Although they're seem to be getting annoyed with the "Where's Shelly" questions popping up on their Twitter feed.  Finally snotted that we should check the "Washington Post."  

Settle it once and for all, McSavage.  Produce your wife.  

6 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

Funny how LAPD never finds anything amiss with Scientology.  Although they're seem to be getting annoyed with the "Where's Shelly" questions popping up on their Twitter feed.  Finally snotted that we should check the "Washington Post."  

Settle it once and for all, McSavage.  Produce your wife.  

Why isn't the FBI investigating?  Is this not their business?  I confess I really don't know, but it seems odd to me that we have investigations for everything under the sun but not this, especially after all these people have come forward.

I hear on a lot of Dateline-type shows that it is not against the law for someone over the age of 21 to disappear and not contact family or friends ever again.  Even if Miss Cabbage came forward and said, "I haven't seen my wife in 20 years," the cops would not be obligated to do anything.  Now if he said, "I saw her being hustled into a car by a bunch of thugs and she was screaming and fighting," the cops would investigate because a probable crime was being committed.

Bottom line:  No evidence of a crime, the cops don't become involved.

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I hear on a lot of Dateline-type shows that it is not against the law for someone over the age of 21 to disappear and not contact family or friends ever again.  Even if Miss Cabbage came forward and said, "I haven't seen my wife in 20 years," the cops would not be obligated to do anything.  Now if he said, "I saw her being hustled into a car by a bunch of thugs and she was screaming and fighting," the cops would investigate because a probable crime was being committed.

Its amazing that she could just vanish and no one cares. 

I admit that the impact of Valerie's story about escaping in a car trunk is somewhat diminished by the fact that she willingly went back and then left "the correct way." It makes it sound like she never needed to escape that way in the first place if they were just going to let her walk out of there. I also wondered what kind of relationship she has with her father if he's still a Scientologist. Regardless of whether they're in the SeaOrg or not, don't all Scientologists have to disconnect from family members that leave the church? Isn't that what we heard over and over again from all the other people that have been on this show?

5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I admit that the impact of Valerie's story about escaping in a car trunk is somewhat diminished by the fact that she willingly went back and then left "the correct way." It makes it sound like she never needed to escape that way in the first place if they were just going to let her walk out of there. I also wondered what kind of relationship she has with her father if he's still a Scientologist. Regardless of whether they're in the SeaOrg or not, don't all Scientologists have to disconnect from family members that leave the church? Isn't that what we heard over and over again from all the other people that have been on this show?

I would argue that because she left the way she did her family knew she wanted out and thus would be expecting her to leave so they would notice if she were being held. Before that they think is everything is fine and just think she's been reassigned so can't talk as much. Also every communication into and out of that base is monitored so the church could easily keep her from getting out where as the other way the family would know something is wrong if she never left again. 

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Leah cares, thank God.  And we're pelting their Twitter feed with "Where's Shelley?" over and over again - they are probably getting very busy with their block button.  They said something about Leah and monetized hate and I asked them how much they had to pay Paulette Cooper after they tried to frame her for a crime.  They immediately blocked me from their Twitter account.

5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I know!  That no one cares enough to demand an answer or investigation.

6 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I would think the stories coming out about the circumstances surrounding her disappearance would be suspicious enough to warrant someone somewhere looking into it more closely.

If a guy has a fight or is on the outs with his wife then she disappears and there are rumors of his temper swirling around, he automatically becomes a suspect of something and the authorities watch and tail him.  This guy gets away with it because of his power and money, that's what I think.  If one day I just disappeared you'd better believe the cops would be grilling my husband six ways silly and put him on a person of interest list.

The problem is that the people who work for the IRS, police and FBI are people.  Probably with friends,neighbors and families.  The minute anyone goes after Miscavige they are deemed an enemy and private investigators show up at their door,  letters to their friends and all other manners of harassment.

Its going to take someone with a hell of a lot of courage to go after David Miscavige.  

32 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

The problem is that the people who work for the IRS, police and FBI are people.  Probably with friends,neighbors and families.  The minute anyone goes after Miscavige they are deemed an enemy and private investigators show up at their door,  letters to their friends and all other manners of harassment.

Its going to take someone with a hell of a lot of courage to go after David Miscavige.  

Like Leah Remini and Mike Rinder! 

On 11/29/2018 at 9:09 AM, Yeah No said:

Why isn't the FBI investigating?  Is this not their business?  I confess I really don't know, but it seems odd to me that we have investigations for everything under the sun but not this, especially after all these people have come forward.

Since it doesn't cross state lines, it isn't a Federal issue. I believe that it would fall under the Federal Kidnapping Act.

Now, if they were to move her from California to Florida, then the FBI could get involved.

On 11/29/2018 at 6:44 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I don't think that is it.  The police and IRS are institutions that have no upside in paying attention now.  Say the police investigate and determine Shelley is a captive or dead.  The next thing is an investigation of corruption on why people who have approached them for a dozen years have been ignored.  The IRS is going to have to explain what changed to change their status, which is nothing.  They aren't going to want to admit they were harassed or influenced into capitulation.

It doesn't even really matter if everyone involved is no longer there.  The blowback against the institution would be enough that it would take a whole lot of pressure or evidence to force them to investigate/reconsider.

I guess I'll be over here at my table for one. I've only had a couple people on this show ping my hinky meter, and this lady is one of them. Something about the escape story was off-putting, and it really seemed like she had ample opportunity to just leave if that's what she wanted.

7 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I guess I'll be over here at my table for one. I've only had a couple people on this show ping my hinky meter, and this lady is one of them. Something about the escape story was off-putting, and it really seemed like she had ample opportunity to just leave if that's what she wanted.

Maybe she was thinking ahead to the book and movie deal, and she wanted to make her escape as dramatic as possible!

I don't disbelieve her or anything, but this is the first time listening to someone's story that I was like, hmmm. Cuz she was just so energetic and excited telling her story. It was like she enjoyed that it was entertaining. Maybe I'm just used to seeing these people in various states of tears, anger, and devestation. 

Just FYI, Leah had said in the show that she hired Valerie to send a message to Scientology not to mess with her, but it looks like they did not exactly heed the message. 

So unless someone is on the verge of suicide their story is not believable?  

And yes I have heard stories about people who literally were standing at the door of an exit of a cult with no one within miles but that didn’t make them any less trapped.  People asking why didn’t you step over that line to everlasting freedom?????  The answer is always complicated.  Sometimes it is fear of what that last step actually means.  Actually leaving the only life you have ever known behind.  Sometimes it is overcoming the brainwashing.   

And sometimes it is finding an empty trunk to jump into.

i believe every word she said. 

And Scientology wins when you don’t.

Edited by Chaos Theory
18 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I didn't question the escape.  I think it likely she told one of the actors beforehand and they helped her, and she doesn't want them in trouble with cos.  What I questioned is she only used Mike Rinder's name and the former president Hensch?  When recounting misdoings she witnessed with D miscavich.  She remembers a name tag for Mike Rinder and no other?  All other recollections were I saw him throw a bucket of water on someone...no name given.  I found it odd, like maybe this was Mike's true story and she is giving credence to it but maybe didn't really witness much.  She was Shelly's assistant, not his after all.  Yeah, the questionable meter rang for me too.  Cos definitely plays mind games and glad she is out of it, but not so certain we really know what exactly she witnessed or just heard.

I feel like I understand now why, against all logic, COS does a "shock and awe" campaign towards any former members that speak out.  It's an extension of how they're taught to treat each other.  It makes no sense to escalate the way they do with the never ending attorney letters, the doubling down on denials an accusations, the harassment and the investigators except it makes them look more like they're hiding something.  But in their world where it's OK to give someone a black eye if they're bothering you and your encouraged to suppress all emotions except lashing out at others (especially those below you) then it starts to make sense that they'd extend that treatment to those that left who they consider the lowest of the low.  Certainly not saying it's right for them to do but I feel like it helps explain the some of why that kind of crazy over the top response occurs and why with Muscavige's messiah complex nobody in his inner circle is able to suggest toning it down a bit.

That one photo of David leaning forward with both hands on his desk is and always will be one of the creepiest photos ever.  That "smile" does not reach his eyes and is full of someone on a smug self-absorbed power trip.

If Valerie were ever sued and made it to trial I'd be one jury member fully on her side.  I compare her "exit interview" to someone forced to sign a document at Jim Jone's compound that said they worked in the fields willingly, were given enough to eat and had enough sleep and never, ever saw any kool-aid, poison or even guns in the compound.  If it meant signing that to get out alive or actually drinking the kool-aid who wouldn't sign?

Considering that Valerie only escaped a few years ago (was it 2016?) I can't believe any non COS actors got to that job and saw the gates, camera's and guards and everything else they had to go through just to get into the compound and willingly went in.  I know they can be desperate for jobs and money can be tight but even if I'd never seen Leah's show I think I'd have noped my way out of there rather than be locked in like that just to do a little filming.  There's security that's normal at a film studio and then there's paranoid lock down conditions.

19 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

i believe every word she said. 

And Scientology wins when you don’t.

I agree.  I thinks she sees the story of her escape as empowering, which is why she seemed so happy when she said it.  Everyone reacts to things differently.

7 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

That one photo of David leaning forward with both hands on his desk is and always will be one of the creepiest photos ever.  That "smile" does not reach his eyes and is full of someone on a smug self-absorbed power trip.

We've heard the expression "crazy eyes" but in that photo (and most others of Miscavige) he has "murder eyes" like he's figuring out exactly how to kill you.

I figured that Valerie's demeanor when recounting her story may have been something like leftover adrenaline - undoubtedly she was in such a heightened state of stress and adrenaline while living through the events she discussed, and that emotional or physiological response came back to her as she spoke. I don't know if I'm explaining myself properly, but maybe reliving those experiences tapped back into the "fight or flight" response. Or maybe she's just so damn euphoric to be out that her happiness came through. Earlier this fall I left an extremely stressful work situation - I was so upset that I was practically non-functional and crying nonstop in the period leading up to my walking out. Now when I recount the absurd BS that went down, I can laugh about it. Everyone handles bad situations differently. And the CO$ would have to rate higher on the bad situations list than most things.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that even former CO$ members agree that their emotions are stunted by their time in the cult - for someone like Valerie who grew up in it, she probably has a lot of emotional learning to do now that she's out.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, Maelstrom said:

I figured that Valerie's demeanor when recounting her story may have been something like leftover adrenaline - undoubtedly she was in such a heightened state of stress and adrenaline while living through the events she discussed, and that emotional or physiological response came back to her as she spoke. I don't know if I'm explaining myself properly, but maybe reliving those experiences tapped back into the "fight or flight" response. Or maybe she's just so damn euphoric to be out that her happiness came through. Earlier this fall I left an extremely stressful work situation - I was so upset that I was practically non-functional and crying nonstop in the period leading up to my walking out. Now when I recount the absurd BS that went down, I can laugh about it. Everyone handles bad situations differently. And the CO$ would have to rate higher on the bad situations list than most things.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that even former CO$ members agree that their emotions are stunted by their time in the cult - for someone like Valerie who grew up in it, she probably has a lot of emotional learning to do now that she's out.

Yes, this really hit me in the 'Emo Aftermath' epi last week, Leah's mama & younger sister weren't all that emotional, but the older sister (who 'got out') was way more so & they all acknowledged that it was due to her not being as involved in $ciento.

Also,  WHERE'S  SHELLEY?!

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, tobeannounced said:

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, TVbitch said:

Maybe she was thinking ahead to the book and movie deal, and she wanted to make her escape as dramatic as possible!

I don't disbelieve her or anything, but this is the first time listening to someone's story that I was like, hmmm. Cuz she was just so energetic and excited telling her story. It was like she enjoyed that it was entertaining. Maybe I'm just used to seeing these people in various states of tears, anger, and devestation. 

Just FYI, Leah had said in the show that she hired Valerie to send a message to Scientology not to mess with her, but it looks like they did not exactly heed the message. 

I also had the feeling that she was "performing."  I thought to myself, is she an actress? She reminded me of someone I know who is, and who is also Bipolar.

That wasba good episode.

I too want to know where Shelley is.  I doubt she is alive after all this time.  Poor thing.  I like that Shelley was seeing that it wasn't a good way to live.  

The way Miscaviage treats people is appalling and so very child like as well in some ways, with the paper faces and puppets and stupid name tags.  What is wrong with him?!?! He obviously isn't "clear"  .

Shelley is likely dead.  How the police can't really investigate is odd... we are just supposed to trust the "church"?  I find it odd the police never saw her... I would think that is normally how missing person investigations go and if they see them and they are fine they report back that they are not missing.

Valerie described when she first arrived at Gold Base, all smiles and sunshine and optimism, and how she was quickly shut down by everyone else around her.

I imagine leaving the church gave her back that sweet and sunny optimism that she had prior to entering the gates of hell, not because she's shady.

Aw, the L.A. police department and D.A.'s office fit so snugly into Scientology's pocket! 

As does the L.A. Times, which almost never publishes any negative articles or investigations these days (their original expose was in 1990). They gave a forum early this year in an Op Ed piece by Scientology attorney Monique Yingling in which she claims that the organization's tax exempt status was "fully and fairly earned and continues to merit."

Was Shelly's entire extended family also in the CO$?  If so, could that be why her disappearance isn't being fully investigated?  If she had family outside the CO$, I would think the powers that be would be forced to thoroughly investigate her whereabouts.  I sincerely hope this question gets an answer soon - with Leah and Mike bringing so much of this to light, the authorities have no excuse to not be searching for this missing woman.  Lil' Dave can't possibly hold that much sway over the police/FBI.  

Edited by laurakaye
1 hour ago, 2727 said:

Aw, the L.A. police department and D.A.'s office fit so snugly into Scientology's pocket! 

HA!

As does the L.A. Times, which almost never publishes any negative articles or investigations these days (their original expose was in 1990). They gave a forum early this year in an Op Ed piece by Scientology attorney Monique Yingling in which she claims that the organization's tax exempt status was "fully and fairly earned and continues to merit."

Muffins writing for the LA Times, eh? That sure shows which way the wind blows.