Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E00: John David's Wedding

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

John David and Abbie go back to where their love story began as they say "I do" in Ada OK in front of 1,000 of their closest family and friends; with love and hijinks in the air, this wedding ceremony is sure to have many sweet surprises.

There is no episode season number that I can see, and TLC will change it anyway. I'm just spitballing here. It is not an issue.

2 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

John David and Abbie go back to where their love story began as they say "I do" in Ada OK in front of 1,000 of their closest family and friends; with love and hijinks in the air, this wedding ceremony is sure to have many sweet surprises.

There is no episode season number that I can see, and TLC will change it anyway. I'm just spitballing here. It is not an issue.

Do we have an air date?

and I answered my own question. Today at 9pm CST. 

Call me a cynic but I have a hard time believing JB & Abby didn’t hold hands or kiss during courtship. We saw several photos of them hugged up against each other, her holding him on a motorbike etc- full body contact is okay but you can’t hold hands????

SURE.

Just like I don’t believe Jeremy and Jinger didn’t kiss before the wedding. I fully believe they kissed a decent amount given it was a long distance thing. 

Jana looks pretty. 

• Love 18

JD looks so genuinely happy. Kind of surprised that their courtship standards included no hand holding and no kissing bc they look really physically comfortable with each other. Being in love seems to make JD look several years younger -- and for that matter it looks like marriage suits Joe as well. And for once we don't have a fundie saying -- what I'm looking forward to most is the first kiss, hardy har har. JD actually said he was waiting to see Abby walk down the aisle and Abby said she was looking forward to walking to JD up the aisle and then the two of them flying away.

Wonder if it was hot in the church - JD looks thrilled and not nervous up there yet light appears to be bouncing off his forehead; wonder if he was sweaty or maybe just needed a touch of make up. The shot of them standing at the altar right before Abby walked up showed Joe looking almost "proudly" at JD and checking out the groom's expression and Jana smiling but IDK she looks a touch sad to me. She looked a touch sad in the TH earlier too when she said she wondered if he'd ever marry -- I have to imagine she is saying that about him bc she has also thought that about herself at some point. It was her and her twin together and now she's left behind as he moves onto "normal" "adult" life.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, cereality said:

JD looks so genuinely happy. Kind of surprised that their courtship standards included no hand holding and no kissing bc they look really physically comfortable with each other. Being in love seems to make JD look several years younger -- and for that matter it looks like marriage suits Joe as well. And for once we don't have a fundie saying -- what I'm looking forward to most is the first kiss, hardy har har. JD actually said he was waiting to see Abby walk down the aisle and Abby said she was looking forward to walking to JD up the aisle and then the two of them flying away.

Wonder if it was hot in the church - JD looks thrilled and not nervous up there yet light appears to be bouncing off his forehead; wonder if he was sweaty or maybe just needed a touch of make up. The shot of them standing at the altar right before Abby walked up showed Joe looking almost "proudly" at JD and checking out the groom's expression and Jana smiling but IDK she looks a touch sad to me. She looked a touch sad in the TH earlier too when she said she wondered if he'd ever marry -- I have to imagine she is saying that about him bc she has also thought that about herself at some point. It was her and her twin together and now she's left behind as he moves onto "normal" "adult" life.

Maybe she really doesn't want to get married though. I cant believe someone as beautiful as Jana hasn't had many offers for courtship

Well a ffs a ring bearing drone, that was klassy! 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Temperance said:

There's too much JB and Michelle. 

And the flower girls are all wearing Josie's dress from the CD promotion photo. (The one with the pink and silver tones).

Yes, there was a picture posted last week of Jordyn in "the dress."

• Love 2

WTH did they get this  pastor -- not Abby's dad -- but he first guy?? Dorky jokes about how they'd shake hands at the end etc.

The remote control plane/drone to fly in her ring was dumb though at least it was quick and not a prank that dragged on. Actually IDK if it's editing but the entire wedding/vows seemed quick, which is very unlike the Duggars.

The vows were meh. Way too long. Interesting how his specifically mentioned being faithful and keeping his eyes only for her -- seems like it was a way to say "I'm NOT Josh." Hers were the typical fundie spelling out promises that don't need to be said -- I'll take your name; I'll live where you live. Uh yeah you're fundie, we know.

That kiss was a bit much -- one kiss on the hand + the main event would've been enough. I know he was feeling it that day knowing he was like an hr away from being able to get it on, but IDK that kissing all over the body was necessary.

WTH is up with Austin. He looks MISERABLE. Weddings are a happy occasion. Even if you're not super close to a couple, most people attending a wedding still feel some happiness just seeing someone else's dream come true. Austin looks downright pissed. Regretting his own marriage? Fight with Joy 2 min before the ceremony??

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, xls said:

Maybe she really doesn't want to get married though. I cant believe someone as beautiful as Jana hasn't had many offers for courtship

Just because Jana may not want to get married (for a variety of reasons) that doesn’t mean she won’t miss her twin, who’s been her partner in crime and now she is the only one of the “older kids”(Josh- Jinger) left at home. It’s her then Jed/Jer left at the TTH. Of course I’m sure she’s happy for her brother etc but one can still not want to get married and be sad that she doesn’t have the freedom and adult status being married brings in their culture. 

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, cereality said:

WTH did they get this  pastor -- not Abby's dad -- but he first guy?? Dorky jokes about how they'd shake hands at the end etc.

The remote control plane/drone to fly in her ring was dumb though at least it was quick and not a prank that dragged on. Actually IDK if it's editing but the entire wedding/vows seemed quick, which is very unlike the Duggars.

The vows were meh. Way too long. Interesting how his specifically mentioned being faithful and keeping his eyes only for her -- seems like it was a way to say "I'm NOT Josh." Hers were the typical fundie spelling out promises that don't need to be said -- I'll take your name; I'll live where you live. Uh yeah you're fundie, we know.

That kiss was a bit much -- one kiss on the hand + the main event would've been enough. I know he was feeling it that day knowing he was like an hr away from being able to get it on, but IDK that kissing all over the body was necessary.

WTH is up with Austin. He looks MISERABLE. Weddings are a happy occasion. Even if you're not super close to a couple, most people attending a wedding still feel some happiness just seeing someone else's dream come true. Austin looks downright pissed. Regretting his own marriage? Fight with Joy 2 min before the ceremony??

Her vows were borrowing/ paraphrasing from the book of Ruth (in the bible). (She was echoing Ruth's speech to her mother-in-law Naomi).   His were okay, although I personally wouldn't want someone to always kiss me when I least expect it.  I think TLC does edit the vows for time and to keep the obedience talk to a minimum.

I thought Austin was touched by the wedding in a good way. Wasn't he tearing up during the vows?

• Love 5

Anybody else think that if the wedding wasn't televised, Josh would have been best man?

Or maybe Zach Bates?

I predict good things for this marriage in that John David and Abbie seem to laugh a lot.  Seems like a good sign to me.

• Love 3

A few things I noticed: he promised to keep his eyes only for her; she promised to keep her heart only for him. Seems like an odd and lame dichotomy. They dodged the first kiss question. I in no way believe the one at the altar was their first. They did not promise to leave their family size up to god. Someone needs to teach Josiah to support his voice. WTH was that breathy nonsense.

• Love 8

I think the kiss was a refreshing alternative to the 0 to 100 approach the rest of these people seem to take with their courtships--he took a graduated approach to something presumably they'd been building up to for a while. It was a nice contrast to Josiah's ostentatious "I'm going to prove how manly I am by eating my bride's face in front of 1000 guests and the TV audience" performance.

• Love 17

I haven't actually seen the kiss (or anything of the wedding, really, outside of those few photos we got a little while ago), but the way it has been described, I can't help but think of the scene in "Oklahoma!" where Ali Hakim (was that his name? The traveling salesman) was demonstrating to Ado Annie how they say "goodbye" in Persia.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Anybody else think that if the wedding wasn't televised, Josh would have been best man?

Or maybe Zach Bates?

No. John and Joe are very close, and have been for a long time, and John didn't veil his disgust with Josh very well when the shit hit the fan. 

• Love 14

They all can talk the talk, but they can't mask nonverbal communication as easily. John David seemed much more excited than Josiah did at his wedding. (Not that Josiah was frowning or pouting or anything, but his smile did not extend up to his eyes as much as John David's.) I don't think it's even due to personality because in THs and in various episodes Josiah struck me as more extroverted than John David.

I have mixed thoughts about the kiss - on the one hand, I did think it was too sensual for church, but on the other hand I was like GO JOHN DAVID! and he was kind of hot in that moment. Also, I think it was obvious that both JD and Abbie have lived and gained some experiences - definitely a different vibe than the other recent weddings where the couple is late teens/early 20s.

• Love 20

I can't remember hearing Abbie speak before, so I was most struck by her voice.  It wasn't a breathy, "keep sweet" kind of voice....it was refreshingly normal.  

It was interesting when John David said that he's now kind of a glitter guy, since Abbie's a glitter girl.  Didn't seem at all like anything he would have said in the past -- if he had been asked the question a year ago, I feel confident that he would have rolled his eyes and either tersely said "no, I'm not a 'glitter guy'" or something sarcastic.  I believe this is true love or at the very least he's truly infatuated.  He seemed so happy.

I agree with posters above that Jana seemed sad.  Although I think that in a lot of episodes.  

• Love 21
13 hours ago, cereality said:

Well.. could be less than hr...wasn't  it rumored Ben & jess sneaked off for a quickie?

I actually liked this wedding for some reason- I  guess it was b/c JD looked so happy and it was good to see him happy. And it didn't take them months into years to get to alter. Looks like JD kept his parents in check during the process.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

FWIW, I don't think Josiah is gay. I think he married the wrong girl to put the gay rumors to rest. Lauren doesn't strike me as a very warm person. Jessa claiming Si's wedding was her favorite pretty much confirms the whole thing is a farce.

8 hours ago, jcbrown said:

They dodged the first kiss question. I in no way believe the one at the altar was their first. 

I don't either. They parroted the correct Gothard lines and quickly moved on. Also, neither one mentioned the kiss when asked what they were most looking forward to. The end result was too clean and polished to be a first-time smooch.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

FWIW, I don't think Josiah is gay. I think he married the wrong girl to put the gay rumors to rest. Lauren doesn't strike me as a very warm person. Jessa claiming Si's wedding was her favorite pretty much confirms the whole thing is a farce.

I don't either. They parroted the correct Gothard lines and quickly moved on. Also, neither one mentioned the kiss when asked what they were most looking forward to. The end result was too clean and polished to be a first-time smooch.

I get that vibe from her too. She also strikes me as being superficial. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

All these weddings really do is verify that the Duggar parents are scum and their ways are the ways of evil, greedy tyrants that are now harming children unto the third generation, in my opinion. 

So very true. JD should've been this happy for his first girlfriend at 14, not as a near 30yo man.

• Love 10

JD was alluding to some activities that seemed to have been undertaken without a chaperone.  I wonder . . .  After all, she works as a nurse in a nursing home, FFS.  She goes out in public without a chaperone.  

Obviously, this was a very foreshortened reporting of the events, no detailed recounting of the courtship and dates with the younger siblings tagging along.  I'm going to bet they didn't stand for any of that but they didn't want to admit it on TV.  

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 9
33 minutes ago, GussieK said:

JD was alluding to some activities that seemed to have been undertaken without a chaperone.  I wonder . . .  After all, she works as a nurse in a nursing home, FFS.  She goes out in public without a chaperone.  

Obviously, this was a very foreshortened reporting of the events, no detailed recounting of the courtship and dates with the younger siblings tagging along.  I'm going to bet they didn't stand for any of that but they didn't want to admit it on TV.  

Yeah, very little known about the courtship phase. And the wedding special was only a half hour, wasn't it an hour with other couples? 

I think they'll show Jabbie courting on the next season to lead up to the wedding of course, but I could see this being very diluted, or there will be occasional events for the benefit of TV that doesn't necessarily reflect real life.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, I have no personal opinion on whether Josiah's gay or not. That's not something I'm ever convinced of unless I'm pretty extensively around somebody in real life.

And I agree about Lauren's apparent characteristics. Plus, I'm sure that Josiah really did like Marjorie, that they seemed to have a lot in common, that he seemed also to be getting something he liked out of his relationship with her dad, and that he and Marjorie genuinely seemed to enjoy doing things together. .... So he's had that. And now he's married to somebody where the relationship seems way way way less warm and involving. So no matter whether he's marrying as a guy who likes women or a guy who doesn't but thinks he has to pretend he does, that's going to be a disappointment. And it's a disappointment that comes pretty fast after the breakup of the first, way more fun relationship, so it's going to feel even worse for him. That had to be a sad wedding all around ....

I don't really see why Lauren would be so desperate at her age that she'd agree to something that looks that way.....That's the part that seems oddest to me...

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 18

Josiah wouldn't even look at Lauren when they were singing.  I think they hate each other, but Lauren is only slightly more willing to play along.  Every time they panned to Abbie's sisters, all I could think of was Kristen Wiig's Dooneese character.  Poor Jana.  The sadness in her eyes :(  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

Josiah wouldn't even look at Lauren when they were singing.  I think they hate each other, but Lauren is only slightly more willing to play along.  Every time they panned to Abbie's sisters, all I could think of was Kristen Wiig's Dooneese character.  Poor Jana.  The sadness in her eyes :(  

Maybe JD will come get her and help her break out.   It reminds me of my favorite movie, "Holiday."  At the end Katharine Hepburn is going off with Cary Grant and she wants to drag her brother (Lew Ayres) along, away from their poisonous family, and he just can't get himself to go..  But she vows to come back for him.   His look is just like Jana's.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Maybe JD will come get her and help her break out.   It reminds me of my favorite movie, "Holiday."  At the end Katharine Hepburn is going off with Cary Grant and she wants to drag her brother (Lew Ayres) along, away from their poisonous family, and he just can't get himself to go..  But she vows to come back for him.   His look is just like Jana's.

Wasn't it Jessa who fixed up Jinger with Jeremy? They seemed closer as sisters than Jana and JD do as twins! I bet Abbie will keep her eyes open for a guy for Jana, especially because she works in the real world. I know she works with the elderly but they do have DOCTORS coming in to check patients. Plus there are more and more male nurses these days. I still have hope for Jana!

Has it been said if the newlyweds will live in OK or AR? Abbie could get a nursing job anywhere.

Edited by Calibabydolly
spelling
  • Love 4

Jana often looks wistful. I think she's sensitive and an introvert and in this culture, being those things is very difficult (but that's been said before).

JD seems like one of the more decent Duggar males. I remember one of the later episodes where JB, being the ass that he is, was goading one of the M kids that Anna was going to be angry at something they did when she returned, and John, in the background, was heard saying, "awww, she'll be OK." I have a hard time imagining many of the other boys stepping in like that. There was also a fairly recent article detailing how John thought JB was making reckless financial decisions with the family money. Does anyone else remember that?

Edited by graefin
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

Has it been said if the newlyweds will live in OK or AK? Abbie could get a nursing job anywhere.

Arkansas. JD is pretty much a J-Slave for a living. ...And Jim Bob seems unlikely to give up his chief pilot and possibly his eyes and ears in county law enforcement, I expect. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't really see why Lauren would be so desperate at her age that she'd agree to something that looks that way.....That's the part that seems oddest to me...

Martyr for Jesus? $$$? Both?

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Arkansas. JD is pretty much a J-Slave for a living. ...And Jim Bob seems unlikely to give up his chief pilot and possibly his eyes and ears in county law enforcement, I expect. 

He has the most opportunity to break free of any of them and I wish he would; not just for himself but as an inspiration to the others. 

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, graefin said:

JD seems like one of the more decent Duggar males. I remember one of the later episodes where JB, being the ass that he is, was goading one of the M kids that Anna was going to be angry at something they did when she returned, and John, in the background, was heard saying, "awww, she'll be OK." I have a hard time imagining many of the other boys stepping in like that. There was also a fairly recent article detailing how John thought JB was making reckless financial decisions with the family money. Does anyone else remember that?

It was that ridiculous flamingo painting episode, and JB was scolding Michael for being covered in paint, as if he as the adult couldn't have thrown a paint shirt on the kid or shown them a less messy way than dipping the flamingo in a bucket of paint. John David won major points from me for telling Michael it would be ok and his mom wouldn't be that mad. He and Joe always seemed like good brothers to me. They were usually in the background, but you'd catch glimpses of them helping with the younger ones or holding babies. 

I don't remember the article, but good for John if he did side eye his parents money management. I kind of doubt it though since he's still tied to them too, via the planes he flies. 

• Love 14

Abbie mentioned she is child #4 out of 7? I wonder how many her siblings are married. IE maybe Pa Burnett has a "rule" about waiting until they are a little older and have established themselves as doing "something" . Pa and Ma Burnett didn't exactly look like children themselves  - like Kendra's parents..

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dimi1 said:

I don't think they realize the kisses were sensual...I think its a kiss on the lips and bam

Good point. Could well be. .... and if it is, welcome to sensuality,  JD and Abbie. It's way more fun than that sex that "doesn't take long" that your MOTY describes, JD. 

• Love 13
58 minutes ago, sATL said:

Abbie mentioned she is child #4 out of 7? I wonder how many her siblings are married. IE maybe Pa Burnett has a "rule" about waiting until they are a little older and have established themselves as doing "something" . Pa and Ma Burnett didn't exactly look like children themselves  - like Kendra's parents..

She is the 4rth out of 8 I believe.  Her parents don't necessarily have rules, but aren't pushing their teenagers to get married either.  I got the feeling she felt like an older bride, she soemthing about waiting and not thinking she would meet someone. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

What does she really have to look forward to in that lifestyle, though?  She's not going to go to college or have a career, so her whole identity is pinned on marriage and children.  Lots of these women who get married end up in families where they have lots of children they can't support and really struggle, like MEschelle did in the early days.  Many end up selling MLM products like Plexus, Thrive, etc. to try and make money and just get scammed into more debt.  Josiah offers a family with money and fame.  That seems like a pretty good deal for these girls who have little to no options.  Such a waste.  I really worry about Josiah.

I also think his broken engagement with Marjorie shows how wrong their ideas about avoiding dating are. Dating allows you to learn your likes and dislikes and how to get along with others.  It also gives the chance to have your heart broken and learn to recover from disappointment.  Yes, it's a part of life that really is difficult, but it allows growth.  These idiots stunt growth at every level.  I feel like Josiah hasn't had a real chance to get past complex feelings.  He may even fell like a failure because of it.  If he is also gay, that adds another huge emotional facet to his life.  I feel so sorry for that kid.

• Love 21
2 hours ago, sATL said:

She is the 4th of 8 kids. Her older siblings and a sister that is 2 years younger are married. Her twin sisters (22) and youngest brother (18) are in school, I believe.

Her parents didn't force marriage on their kids and definitely encourage some type of education and hobbies. Still fundy, but a big step above the Duggars, Caldwells, the Swansons. 

Screenshot_20181128-165113.thumb.jpg.6865b65cd5d6ed42ba767ed630735b98.jpg

• Love 6