Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12: A Duggar Leaves the Home

I was annoyed right off the bat when Amy was claiming how shocked her friends/classmates were when she told them she was an only chlld but had 12 cousins (obviously when she was much younger and there were fewer Duggers).  Heck I have 14 cousins and none of my aunts and uncles had 12 kids.  Seems like TLC or cousinn Amy is really grasping at straws to make her seem like an interesting or unusual person.  Rest of the show was downhill from there, at least for me. 

• Love 5

I only caught the last ten minutes where Amy gathered everyone around to make her "big announcement." The expressions on the Duggar kids' faces were priceless: they had zero fucks to give. Nobody was even paying attention to her. I'm guessing the first fifty minutes were equally as boring as the last ten.

• Love 2

Poor Amy. She has some natural talent but her mom has a better voice. Amy needs voice lessons to learn to sing from her real voice and drop the throaty inflections.

She's not that bad. She's just not that good.

• Love 4

I only caught the last ten minutes where Amy gathered everyone around to make her "big announcement." The expressions on the Duggar kids' faces were priceless: they had zero fucks to give. Nobody was even paying attention to her. I'm guessing the first fifty minutes were equally as boring as the last ten.

That was the end of the Amy Retrospective. Nashville was Hour 2. And it was awful. She still can't sing Amazing Grace.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe it's just me but I got the impression the kids looked up to Amy not so much because of her accomplishments, but because she had so much freedom and could follow her dreams.  I thought Amy was a little intense this episode but I liked her in general. I'm not sure she deserves a whole show for it, but I admire her for trying.

(I should add, I'm on DVR so I haven't hit the part people seem to be hating yet - I think I'm just getting there - yay I think?)

ETA: oh my, yes, Amazing Grace was painful. I still admire Amy for 'breaking free' but I think she should maybe practice more before hitting the streets with any songs.

Edited by NikSac

Man, this episode was hard to stick with for the entire hour. Am I the only one who thought Amy's first super-casual attempt to sing the slow song in the studio was totally faked? It was nothing more than an opportunity for the producer to "school" Grandma about how he has to dish out tough love if Amy is to achieve her dreams of stardom. Poor girl. She irritates the shit out of me, but it's always hard to watch someone shooting for a dream that they will absolutely not realize. Please, no more Amy episodes!

• Love 2

Poor Amy. She has some natural talent but her mom has a better voice. Amy needs voice lessons to learn to sing from her real voice and drop the throaty inflections.

She's not that bad. She's just not that good.

Amy's a warbler.  I hope the way she behaved in the studio was an act.  If not, girl needs to learn that she doesn't possess natural singing ability and get some lessons.  When she snarked at the writer "that would be nice" when he offered to sing the first few notes for her... wow... not very gracious.  She's full of excuses, reminds me of all those Real Housewives that want to sing but don't want to put the effort in.  Don't go into the performing arts if you don't want to perform!

For me it was thumbs down on the singing.  But I like Amy and had forgotten about that horrible birthday party where they hired a clown for her, despite knowing sh was scared of and disliked clowns intensely.  That's a really nasty thing to do JB and Jchelle.  Shame on you.  God was not pleased.  She brought pleasure and a breath of fresh air to your mob and that's how you reward her?  I also noticed Joseph and others figured she must be PG if it was a family meeting.  Hope she does well at something in Nashville.  The best to her.

• Love 2

The first hour was very painful.

The second hour was ok. Grandma was having fun and wearing lipstick!!

The only thing I can say is that I enjoyed Famy's digs at her "family" basically pointing out that you can be a Christian and not be a fundie NUT in order to live. Go Famy with your free spirit and jean wearing ways!!

• Love 7

I was annoyed right off the bat when Amy was claiming how shocked her friends/classmates were when she told them she was an only chlld but had 12 cousins (obviously when she was much younger and there were fewer Duggers).  Heck I have 14 cousins and none of my aunts and uncles had 12 kids.  Seems like TLC or cousinn Amy is really grasping at straws to make her seem like an interesting or unusual person.  Rest of the show was downhill from there, at least for me. 

I had to laugh at Amy acting like having 12 cousins was something huge. My parents have a dozen siblings each and at last count, I had over 120 cousins. I lost count when I was 5 and I am in my twenties now, so I know there are far more.

Although annoying, I have to give her credit for saying she believes in God but not in a God that shakes his finger down on people and say that you can't do this and can't do that.

I agree. Can anyone remind me - were Jim Bob and his sister raised in a fundie household? His sister just seems so chill and I found it refreshing how encouraging she was of Amy's dream to be a singer.

On another point, Amy can't sing. I mean, I think she'd be great in a church choir or worship team as a lead, but there are people in Nashville waiting tables right now that could easily blow her out of the water. I don't see much becoming of her career.

• Love 1

My parents have a dozen siblings each and at last count, I had over 120 cousins

WOW. See, that's a lot of cousins. Did all 24 of the siblings each have about 5 kids, or are there some really big families and some one/two kid families?

I too agree that Amy thinking having 12 cousins is a big thing is ridiculous. I have 24 and none of my Aunts and Uncles have large families; though one has 6, which is kinda big.

This whole episode was a waste. Amy is not a Duggar. Nor interesting enough to get her own episode (then again, often the Duggars are not either.)

• Love 1

Sew Sumi, thanks for the mini recap! Yeah, I just couldn't sit through two hours of off-key Amazing Grace. It's bad enough when I have to listen to 19 kids murdering the song on the violin.

If I'm not mistaken, Boob and Deanna were raised Conservative Christian but not Fundie.

How much do ya'll want to bet the Duggars just let the laundary pile up until Grandma got back from Nashville?

• Love 3
(edited)

Snooze fest. Amy is always "on". I find her utterly exhausting. I only halfway watched this. 

The only things I got out of this little venture is - YAY! Grandma Mary left the compound!

And, how sad is it that her nanny family is in tears over her leaving, but her real family (Duggars) could not seem to care less?

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 2
(edited)

When my great-grandmother died in February 1966, she had 30 grandchildren and 88 great grandchildren. My grandparents had 6 children and 20 grandchildren. I know there were more great grandchildren after 1966 so the number probably was over 100. Sadly, there would have been more but their were miscarriages and stillborns in my family.

Edited by bigskygirl

I had to LOL at the little bubbles on the screen "what do you think Amy's big announcement will be?" Ummm, we knew just from the commercials that she's going to Nashville, before the show even aired.

I hate when people grab on to another's fame & get opportunities that more talented people do not. *cough* Kardashians. How many actual talented country singers would kill for the opportunity Amy had?

• Love 1

Amy is not a Duggar. Nor interesting enough to get her own episode (then again, often the Duggars are not either.)

Thank you!  It bugged me every time she referrred to herself as Amy Duggar.  I wonder how her parents feel about her changing her name.  I mean...I get it.  It's so hard to break into the music industry, so if she can help herself by riding on the coattails of her famous cousins, then go for it.  But, it just seemed a little, I don't know, hypocritical to me that she wants the benefit of the name recognition without any of the pesky inconveniences that her girl cousins suffer through.  Amy can wear tight pants and replied "Of course!" when asked if she had ever had any boyfriends.   

My DVR cut off the very end, so I couldn't tell if there were any upcoming scenes for future episodes.  I had to check the online guide to confirm that there are no new 19K&C episodes next week, so I guess this 2-hour Amy special was just a one-time thing.  At least I'm hoping that's the case....

And I agree with the poster above who noted how wistful Jana seemed about the idea of being able to escape to a quiet house.

(edited)

For me it was thumbs down on the singing.  But I like Amy and had forgotten about that horrible birthday party where they hired a clown for her, despite knowing sh was scared of and disliked clowns intensely.  That's a really nasty thing to do JB and Jchelle.  Shame on you.  God was not pleased.  She brought pleasure and a breath of fresh air to your mob and that's how you reward her?  I also noticed Joseph and others figured she must be PG if it was a family meeting.  Hope she does well at something in Nashville.  The best to her.

My 21 year old daughter hates clowns too and we torture her with them all the time. We think it is funny. Her little sister taped a very scary clown to the ceiling above her bed so she would notice it when she was lying down in her bed.

He is a good clown video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xSNiPx79Edited

Edited by psychnurse
  • Love 1

WOW. See, that's a lot of cousins. Did all 24 of the siblings each have about 5 kids, or are there some really big families and some one/two kid families?

I too agree that Amy thinking having 12 cousins is a big thing is ridiculous. I have 24 and none of my Aunts and Uncles have large families; though one has 6, which is kinda big.

Some had huge families and someone only had a couple. Like my parents only had 3 kids, but I have an uncle with 15 and another aunt with 11.

If I'm not mistaken, Boob and Deanna were raised Conservative Christian but not Fundie.

Thanks! I wonder if she ever looks at her brother in disbelief.

Did anyone notice when they were in the studio the one guy, sitting next to the guy in charge, was practically rolling his eyes?  To him it looked like Amy was just another wannabe trying to get into the business.

Maybe she would be better off trying to cut a low-budget Christian CD with the Duggar girls playing violin/harp in the background. Some of the fans would go for it, I think. Not me though. I'm broke these days. At the very least she could get her feet wet and put some bucks in her pocket.

As for the show itself, I fast forwarded through Hour 2 because the whole "I want to be a singer so I'm going to Nashville blah blah blah" just got sickening. I must have fast forwarded through the Amazing Grace fiasco.

(edited)

Deanna Boob's sister is gorgeous. Kinda saw a little of Jinger in her. Grandma must have been a stunner in her day.

As for Famy the whole thing was beyond staged. If it weren't that that record producer guy was getting paid to promote himself then I doubt Famy would have ever made it past the door.

As for the laundry I say Michelle should get her ass to doing it herself for once! Sheesh what the hell does she do all day??

Edited by Fuzzysox

Not to mention the Duggars have, what, eight commercial-sized washer and dryers? With all the loads you can stuff in those things, laundary really shouldn't be a round the clock chore. Hell, we already know they don't put sheets on their beds, so that's one big chunk of it gone!

That was SOOOOOOOOOO boring.  I was always hoping we'd see more Amy, but not any more.  And she looked really weird during the TH on the first hour.  It must have been the makeup.  I always thought she was a pretty girl but something was a little off. 

She has a good voice but it needs some work. And who only saves up for a 2 week trip to nashville to try and make it?? 

Both episodes were just bad.

I'm surprised Amy is allowed around the Duggar children, wearing pants and all. Heck, Grandma wears pants. Maybe that's why she's banished to the laundry room.

Just shows how they are fame and money whores. If they were real fundies, they wouldn't associate with non-fundies and expose their kids to provocative clothes.

Does Amy still have that really tall, baseball-playing boyfriend? I used to see her posts about him on Twitter, but I haven't been using Twitter lately. With Jill getting married and Jessa probably getting married, I've wondered if Amy is a little jealous, since she's had at least a couple of serious boyfriends.

Nah, the baseball player hit the bricks several months ago.

As for Grandma Mary, I think she toes the line at the Duggar compound and wears skirts. Obviously, those rules don't apply when she's with Deanna/Famy.

I also think Fames dresses a bit more modest when she goes to the TTH. When you compare her clothes there to what you see her wearing on Instagram (including butt-skimming mini skirts and bikinis), it's pretty obvious she too tones it down.

Did anyone notice when they were in the studio the one guy, sitting next to the guy in charge, was practically rolling his eyes?  To him it looked like Amy was just another wannabe trying to get into the business.

Maybe she would be better off trying to cut a low-budget Christian CD with the Duggar girls playing violin/harp in the background. Some of the fans would go for it, I think. Not me though. I'm broke these days. At the very least she could get her feet wet and put some bucks in her pocket.

As for the show itself, I fast forwarded through Hour 2 because the whole "I want to be a singer so I'm going to Nashville blah blah blah" just got sickening. I must have fast forwarded through the Amazing Grace fiasco.

Yea, I think going the Amy Grant route would be the safest bet.  Though Amy Grant has an amazing voice.  If this Amy is going to trade on the Duggar name (nothing wrong with that, her mom's a Duggar), then she should also do Christian pop country.  Work it girl. 

(edited)

I think she thought she could roll into Nashville and be a star.  I was surprised when she felt odd standing on the corner singing to those passing by.  She was like,  "what?  I have to do that?!!"  I mean, girl, if you want to make it in this business you need to work it!!!  Geez!  Then when she was telling the producer guy about her singing in school plays I'm thinking, that was 10 years ago, girl!  You should be singing the national anthem somewhere or have something current on your resume!  I was blown away how she thought she could waltz right in to Nashville and get a contract.

Edited by JerseyGirl
  • Love 2

Do we know for sure that Amy's last name isn't Duggar? She said her parents got married when she was 19. It's entirely possible that Deanna gave her the Duggar name, especially since she and Terry had a rocky road. My siblings and I have my mom's maiden name because she and my dad didn't get married until I was 22. They were together and blissful during all of those years but my mom wanted us to have her last name since he wasn't giving her his!

• Love 2

IIRC, it was Famy herself who said her parents were together when she was born, but were on-again/off-again during her childhood. What other reason is there for Famy to have released her album (in 2006, before the Duggar weekly series) as "Amy Jordyn?" Her uncle and his family weren't that famous yet, no need to use that as her stage name...yet.

• Love 2

And of course JimBoob had to piss on her parade immediately, basically telling her she won't make it, so why leave in the first place. Like he tried to guilt JoshieBoob into not going to DC because he would be taking their grandchildren away. JimBoob just can't stand to see anyone escape the compound, lest they get a glimpse of the big world and opportunities he has denied them for their whole lives and see him for the control freak he really is instead of the grinning, caring father he wants to pretend he is.

• Love 1
(edited)

As long as her father acknowledged he was the father Jordan could have been the name on the birth certificate.

Viewership for the episode:  1.591 M viewers and a .5 rating.

Edited by Absolom

Well, I am swimming against the tide here.  I like Amy.  I like her go-for-anything spirit.  She may never make it in Nashville, but she's going to try, despite all the warnings and nay-saying from everyone.  That takes some guts.  She's not stuck with being a baby machine like her cousins.  Did you get John David (or maybe Joseph) saying he thought she was going to announce she was engaged or getting married or something normal like that?  Normal for his sisters certainly, but  Amy has dreams and plans beyond that.  Who cares if she uses the name Duggar?  Maybe that was her mom's choice.  She said her parents had a lot of issues and didn't marry till she was a teeneager.  She has a relationship with both parents.  She's honest about her beliefs--certainly not as fundamental as the rest of the clan.  She gives front hugs!  She says 'friggin'.  She dates, she doesn't court. She seems genuine and I never had the opinion that she was trying to draw attention to herself.  That's just her personality.  I really like her and I wish her well.  She looks like she's be a lot of fun to be around.  Just my opinion.

• Love 4

First time poster, long time lurker!

I agree with those who are saying Amy's not going to make it as a singer in Nashville.  That being said, yay for her to give it a shot.

I noticed in the credits last night that Jamie Slocum was an associate producer of the show. Isn't he Amy's music prodcuer? Did he pony up some money to get the show on TV?

• Love 1

I can't help it.  I like Amy.  But, why was this her first open mic night?  Do these things not exist in Arkansas?  She should be out doing shit like this all the time.

Anyway, I wish her good luck. I think she's got a great energy and spirit.

But just so I don't feel so alone here...I still think Jim Bob and family are weird as hell.  :)

• Love 1
Well, I am swimming against the tide here.  I like Amy.  I like her go-for-anything spirit.  She may never make it in Nashville, but she's going to try, despite all the warnings and nay-saying from everyone.

Mind if I swim along?  I like her too.  I am unfortunately one of the nay-sayers who thinks there's no way she'll make it in Nashville but I've surely been wrong before, and I'd like to be wrong in her case. I think she's fun and I like her spirit. I don't think she's a bad singer, just don't think she's a very good one either.  I'd like to see her do well. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I could swear Amy recorded tracks and had a music website under "Amy Jordyn" a long time ago.  If she still had a public facebook I'd check that for you.  It also just seems so unlikely to me that someone as fundie-traditional as Deanna wouldn't give her kid her father's last name even if they weren't together.  (Yes, it's also odd that she'd get pregnant out of wedlock, but...we all know how these people like to pick and choose what they follow.) 

Edit: internet wayback machine to the rescue!

http://web.archive.org/web/20070324044908/http://www.amyjordyn.com/

I think she genuinely thought her "natural talent" coupled with the Duggar name (and Jesus on her side) would be enough to get her a deal with the first studio she tried. 

Edited by McKay
  • Love 1

I missed this and for some reason Comcrap doesn't have it in the On Demand line up.   I agree @McKay - didn't Amy try this all once before and fail?   I feel kind of sorry for her.  She obviously really wants to be a singing star, but as others have pointed out, there are hundreds of others just a bit more talented I think.  Kudos to her for the constant effort.