Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E07: Claire Foy / Anderson.Paak

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Mystery said:

I don't see why the women would be any less professional than the men. 

?

I don't understand your comment. The reason I singled out the ladies was because it was a skit "featuring the ladies of snl."

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

It seems odd that every actor on SNL has to appear to have the exact same political viewpoints.  

I can't imagine they're forced to participate. And to be fair, they don't all have to have the exact same political viewpoint generally speaking to be reactive to the past two years -- which has less to do with policies than it does with tone.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

1) Claire Foy is great at accents

2) in the SNL preview posted above, I wondered why she was wearing a sweater that said "TURD" and then realized she is so slim that that was the only part of "SATURDAY" that was visible most of the time.

Somebody posted a picture of themselves in a new t-shirt recently, and his tweet was "I didn't think about how this would look with a jacket".  I forget what the t-shirt said originally, I'm going to guess "Classic".  Because when he put a jacket on you just saw the word ASS in big letters.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I didn't know Kate and Larry David were the same person.

As far as I know they aren't. Kate played Bernie (sort of) in a campaign ad parody where Hillary was slowly turning in to him to get votes.

Edited by Pete Martell

Although I love Claire Foy and think she did great, the show overall didn't do much for me. Oddly, I'd say that the musical act was the most enjoyable part. I'd never heard of him, but I liked both songs, even the more traditional rap one, which made me think that real rap fans wouldn't like it (since I do).

Anyway, the only thing I liked about the Willy Wonka sketch was Heidi's head banging against the headboard (or footboard?). She was obviously making herself hit it, so I wasn't worried for her, but she is always funny to me.

I couldn't stand the Morning Joe sketch. What a bore. I don't watch the show -- have only seen clips -- so maybe that impacts how much I can be amused by watching Mika and Joe be horny at each other. 

I basically liked the War In Words sketch. Funny watching the original and seeing how basically identical they are. I do think the original plays better.

The funniest thing to me in the HSN sketch was when Kenan said about the body suit he was wearing, "It's smashing my weiner, but I like the feeling."

I loved watching Claire in the Staten Island sketch. I thought her accent was better than Cecily's.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

Leslie’s WU bit seemed a little off the rails - I was like huh, we’re really doing the women over 50 aren’t sexual thing here?! - but it I figured the “no” bar was going to be ripped off her t-shirt and sure enough, it was. Che’s Judge Judy ad lib is a perfect example of why he frustrates me so much...flashes of brilliance in an overall underwhelming performance.

9 hours ago, LakeLover said:

I would not miss Leslie if she left. She constantly flubs her lines (this hasn't gotten better with experience), and she yells constantly.

What I found disappointing about Leslie in the episode, was during the talking intro to the Mueller Christmas song, she mentioned something about baking roofies into brownies so she can get some.  If a man had said that, he would already have been put through the wringer and would be about half-way through his social media-demanded apology tour by now.  It's an incredibly tone-deaf thing to say. 

• Love 6

I thought the Women of SNL "All I Want For Christmas" skit was the best of the night -- shame it was last!

I'm not a Claire Foy fan (I find her vastly overrated), but I thought she was likable, charming and fun in this. She really seemed like she was having a good time, even if they really didn't give her all that much to do.

7 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

What I found disappointing about Leslie in the episode, was during the talking intro to the Mueller Christmas song, she mentioned something about baking roofies into brownies so she can get some.  If a man had said that, he would already have been put through the wringer and would be about half-way through his social media-demanded apology tour by now.  It's an incredibly tone-deaf thing to say. 

While I agree the reference to roofies was tone deaf, as far as I understood it, the joke wasn't supposed to be about "getting some" but about catching Santa. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I forgot about that. I agree. I was appalled (and definitely took it as she wanted to drug a guy to get sex, i.e., rape him).

• Love 2

The roofie joke was about catching Santa (or Bigfoot).

In that same song, did anyone catch the lyric right after "the only other option is a coup?" Cause it sounded like "Stray Africa," and I don't think that's right. 

I had no idea who Anderson.Paak was before the show, and still don't know.  He's a rapper, I assume.  Rap isn't my bag, but this was at least better than Kanye.

I had no idea what to expect from Claire Foy, but she did fine.  I enjoyed the show for the most part.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, rejnel said:

The roofie joke was about catching Santa (or Bigfoot).

That's right -- Leslie brings that up in the talking part at the end. Since the whole song passes between the part where she mentions baking roofies into cookies and her wish to catch Bigfoot or Santa, the first line gives the impression that she is planning to take sexual advantage of someone. They certainly weren't trying hard enough to avoid that impression.

8 hours ago, rejnel said:

In that same song, did anyone catch the lyric right after "the only other option is a coup?" Cause it sounded like "Stray Africa," and I don't think that's right. 

I heard "straight Africa" and interpreted it as "like the kind of thing that typically happens in African dictatorships". But I may have been influenced by the memory of Trevor Noah comparing Trump to an African dictator.

• Love 4
On 12/2/2018 at 9:47 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I didn't find it mean at all, but I did find it insanely corny.  

I thought it was really cringeworthy, but not as much as the Obama song from a couple of seasons ago.

Cut for time sketch. It's one of those Good Neighbors-80's style sitcom pieces with Beck and Kyle.

I can see why this got cut though I guess the ending is amusing with Kyle.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5

I thought that was pretty good, though I tend to like their stuff. Claire was really good at being a bad actor. I liked the end when Beck says, "Boys rule!" and she says, "Wait, that's not..." and gets cut off.

• Love 3
On 12/5/2018 at 11:21 PM, vb68 said:

Cut for time sketch. It's one of those Good Neighbors-80's style sitcom pieces with Beck and Kyle.

I can see why this got cut though I guess the ending is amusing with Kyle.

I just watched that now. It did make me laugh...mainly the part where Beck looked disgusted as Kyle caught on fire (that sounds terrible when I type it out). It's such a weird sketch and probably trying too hard to be clever, but somehow the mix of basic '90s sitcom parody mixed with complete batshitness works. 

Claire Foy is one of the main reasons it works. She nails that sitcom acting style (and her accent only slips once). 

• Love 1