Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E07: Claire Foy / Anderson.Paak

• Start Topic

The WWI sketch was very similar to a sketch I once saw on The Dana Carvey Show except it took place during the Civil War.  I thought the Dana Carvey one was funnier, although this one was pretty good.  I looked on Youtube for it but couldn't find it.

ETA:  My memory's gone.  It's not Dana Carvey.  It's the Martin Short/Maya Rudolph show, Maya and Marty.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 4

It started okay, but the last few sketches were quite weird/bad.  I liked the Netflix sketch a lot, and the WWI one seemed to be a hit.  Dad Christmas was okay.  The musical guest was pretty good.

Edited:  Nice Mariah Carey tribute at the end.  I'd like her to come back on the show.  The last time I remember her coming on was 2008.  She has a new album out and I like it!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Cold Open: Oh boy, Trump's back. Some old guys in Argentina LOVE him. Rudy Giuliani as a vampire is an inspired choice, I'll give them that. And oh hi Ben Stiller and Fred Armisen. And I'll always love their take on Putin. Always shirtless will never not be funny.

"God, I haven't been this upset since I flipped out over that parking space."
"What did Nationalism ever do to Europe?" 
"You are so actually rich, I love you!"

Monologue: I have low expectations, but that's because I don't know Claire Foy. It was nice and short.

Netflix: So true about the Endless Scroll. I loved all their new stuff so much, I was dying at the gritty Family Matters reboot. I wish Leslie Jones In A Van Getting Batteries was real, because I'm prepared to binge all 200 episodes RIGHT NOW. What little we saw was incredible.

Ironically, Netflix has been pretty cancel-happy this week, precisely because of wasting money on dumb decisions like making all the fake movies from Entourage.

1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I am not sure why Kate McKinnon saying "My name is Ruth, and I LOVE Kennymeade Depot" made me laugh so much.

That was amazing. There was a recent episode of the Simpsons that revealed that Peak TV was a lie and most of the shows are fake, because there's so many shows out there, and you know nobody that watches them. There's probably more Ruths out there than we think.

Morning Joe: I love Joe and Mika's weird-ass chemistry (and Kenan reacting to it), that was enough to carry the sketch for me. I thought it took them too long to get to some real crux of the sketch, where Joe & Mika are ignoring actual issues being presented to them. 

The War in Words: Claire just made this work. It took me a little long to realize that this was a WWI equivalent of answering long texts with "K." I loved Kenan just showing up and writing a letter himself. The punchline of Margaret joining the Germans was a great twist.

Dad Christmas: This was so sad and hilarious. Spirit being the airline of Dad Christmas was the perfect touch. It was weird seeing Claire playing a teenager.

WU: Michael Cohen really is the love child of Celino & Barnes and I will never unsee that now. Yeah, Melania decorating the White House with blood trees really makes me wish what Bill Clinton would've done if Hillary won (Leg Lamps makes perfect, hilarious sense). Beck's character was worth it just for that image of Colin pushing him away.

Say what you will about HW Bush (and there is A LOT), but the show couldn't let his death pass them by and it was a pretty good tribute. Dana Carvey's impression is probably how most people remember him.

Willy Wonka: Oh look, a sketch about Charlie's grandparents. Pete makes the perfect Grandpa Joe. Well, George and Georgina's...goodnights is certainly a new angle on this. It was so weird and disturbing, I couldn't stop laughing. It's four people in one bed like 24/7, it was bound to get weird. Pete looked like he was having a great time (as was Kyle), but I was worried about Heidi. She was hitting that headboard quite a few times. I have to admire that commitment. 

HSN: This is everyone's nightmare: You're on TV, presenting something important...and you forgot the one important thing for it. And your mom appearing out of nowhere being disappointed in you.

Good Morning Goomah: So now we have a Staten Island version of Bronx Beat. As someone from Long Island, I still encounter plenty of people like these. And you couldn't have Italian jerk characters without Pete. If anything, I felt this was too short. I was really liking this one.

Holiday Message From The Women of SNL: A song about how we want some goddamn closure with Mueller. Be patient ladies, this is really short compared to other investigations. Good to finally see Ego in the show. In the back. Not saying anything.

Well, this show turned out better than I thought it would. Jason Momoa is next week, that should be fun.

• Love 12

This was okay. I thought that the war letters sketch was going to be about the wife correcting her husband's spelling, since they showed a letter with "there's" instead of "theirs." That one went on too long for me. 

On WU, Colin Jost might have the worst Russian accent of all time. But I loved his laughter when Che threw out "Judge Judy" in the list of hot women in their 50s. That looked like it might have been new to Jost.  

I thought Claire Foy was pretty good; she seemed game for everything. And I want a Mueller Santa. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

That was amazing. There was a recent episode of the Simpsons that revealed that Peak TV was a lie and most of the shows are fake, because there's so many shows out there, and you know nobody that watches them. There's probably more Ruths out there than we think.

Yes, Billy Eichner guested.  I thought they did some really good humour about it.  They had somebody commenting about a Netflix show and saying "It gets good around episode 5"  LOL I've said that myself!  It's awful!  What we will put up with! People will watch anything on Netflix, no matter how bad, just because it's on Netflix, and will refuse to talk to me about anything else.  It drives me nuts.

Edited:  Oh yeah, Jules, the Finance Guy.  "He sees things a little differently."  He reminded me of 1) one of my coworkers and 2 and 3) the characters Beck and Benji on the new Lifetime show "You".

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mystery said:

On WU, Colin Jost might have the worst Russian accent of all time. But I loved his laughter when Che threw out "Judge Judy" in the list of hot women in their 50s. That looked like it might have been new to Jost.  

That seemed to be an ad-lib.

2 minutes ago, Mystery said:

I thought Claire Foy was pretty good; she seemed game for everything. And I want a Mueller Santa. 

Seconding both of this. Imagine DeNiro as Mueller as Santa. Or hell, him as Mueller trying to sing and dance along with the song.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Mystery said:

LOL.  She's 76.  I knew that she probably wasn't a peer of J.Lo's but I Googled it to be sure...

• Love 8

I enjoyed this, on the whole.  I thought Claire was good and game for anything.  Loved her at Katty Kay at the end of the MJ sketch just saying anything.  I also liked Anderson.Paak.  I heard him on NPR last week (forgot which show) and he seems like a good guy.  

And did I mention how much I loved that last song?  I loved it. 

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Mystery said:

Oh yeah, and his "I've never hated anyone this much." 

I thought it was pretty tone-deaf, to be honest!  Jost got so much criticism for last week when he talked about how people in Queens/NYC were "whining" about Amazon coming to the city.  People pointed out that he's actually extremely privileged and never worked a normal job.  It was pretty interesting!  I mean, how different is Colin Jost from Jules, really?

https://www.fastcompany.com/90270007/snl-sides-with-billionaire-jeff-bezos-not-everyday-new-yorkers-in-hq2-sketches

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I honestly thought Update woke up what to then was a rather boring show. I was actually genuinely a little afraid for Che when he blurted out "Judge Judy". I still think he should probably watch his back! Heh.  I love Leslie. She's awesome even when she has cue card issues.  In the last half hour, the energy level spiked. The Christmas song at the end was great. And when they said "Good morning, Staten Island", I was just counting the seconds until Pete showed up. Maybe he'll get another death threat in the paper!

The Morning Joe sketch was completely flat. And yeah, I was going to say I remember Mikey doing the Letters during War sketch with Maya a couple of summers ago on Maya and Marty.  

Claire was ok. I could finally see she was having fun in the Staten Island talkshow.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7

They didn't give Claire much to do but I liked how comfortable and happy to be there she was in the monologue. That makes the show better than seeing a nervous host. 

My favorite was the World War I letters sketch: "Dear James, Sounds dreadful. Love, Margaret." Also Mikey's "Why would you call it 'World War ONE'? That is cryptic! Do you think there will be a SECOND world war?!"

Claire in the HSN with the accent and wig reminded me of Rue McClanahan. 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 18
10 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought it was pretty tone-deaf, to be honest!  Jost got so much criticism for last week when he talked about how people in Queens/NYC were "whining" about Amazon coming to the city.  People pointed out that he's actually extremely privileged and never worked a normal job.  It was pretty interesting!  I mean, how different is Colin Jost from Jules, really?

He hates Jules because he hates himself.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

February 4th, 2017 with Kristen Stewart: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/golden-ticket/3465170 

In case the above link doesn't work: 

Wow, I forgot about that. There's a lot to mine from that movie. Just read a Twitter discussion earlier today how Roald Dahl must have hated fat people and people who chew gum considering the extreme punishments of Augustus Gloop and Violet Beauregard and how Willy Wonka is like Walter White but with candy!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Did not know Charlie Bucket's grandparents were named Joe & Josephine and George & Georgina. That's a little weird. Okay, not as weird as George & Georgina (the less interesting ones; hey, Grandpa Joe made the damn trip to the factory) getting all kinds of freaky in the shared bed. Even off-camera, the image is fucked up.

The lady losing her shit in the HSN sketch? I can relate. Happily, my mother has never tried to undercut me.

Is Leslie getting her hair styled like Guile from the Street Fighter franchise?

Sketch centered on my home borough . . . not that infuriating to me? I guess it's because I never grew up in a wife/mistress-based culture. I'm thinking Staten Island would have been brought up by Pete on WU, especially how they/we voted for the Democrat to represent them/us in Washington . . . but I think Pete has basically blown through his allotted slots for 2018-19.

"Trump is a werewolf!" Meh, I can buy that.

ETA: I think Pete does WU only if the New York Post sends another veiled, half-hearted death threat. Remember, they did it last time, not the Staten Island Advance. Those guys just gushed over Colin.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

Claire Foy was great in the show, though. She felt a little like an afterthought in most sketches, but she nailed everything they gave her. 

1) Claire Foy is great at accents

2) in the SNL preview posted above, I wondered why she was wearing a sweater that said "TURD" and then realized she is so slim that that was the only part of "SATURDAY" that was visible most of the time.

• Love 13

Mueller all I want is you -- that was the best.

Pete was fabulously awful in the Staten Island sketch.

I had no idea who Claire Foy was, and I still don't, but she did a good job with what they gave her, and seemed perfectly game. So I liked her well enough. She blended in seamlessly. Would not have been able to tell her apart from the cast. It was a show where it seemed like they just skipped having a guest host. I have no problem with it, but I think it might be the only time I've felt that the host was genuinely indistinguishable from the regulars.

I don't know why the Judge Judy line was so funny, but it really made that sketch.

I thought this week was better than average for this season's shows.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Pete looked like he was having a great time (as was Kyle), but I was worried about Heidi. She was hitting that headboard quite a few times. I have to admire that commitment. 

Oh my gosh, I had the same thought!  I was watching from a distance so I couldn’t see if she was actually hitting her head, but I was just like—that looks like it could be painful, hope she didn’t hurt herself!  I’m like George Constanta from Seinfeld:  I’m always attuned to the suffering of others.  (And Jerry’s response:  are you picking up anything right now?)

People upthread have mentioned other versions that they prefer of a sketch like “The War in Words.”  I hadn’t seen those, so I thought that this version was pretty funny.  “Will do - Margaret.”  Lol.

I thought Claire Foy was very good.  She had to be so serious on The Crown that it was nice to see her do some comedy.

• Love 7

Does Alec Baldwin really get paid for pushing his lips out 500 times? 

Kate McKinnon seemed to be doing her Bernie Sanders with a slightly different accent, but the makeup was pretty decent and she seemed to be more comfortable than her other recent impressions, so I'll say it's a win. 

8 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

The “War in Words” sketch was so much funnier the first time on Maya Rudolph and Martin Short’s variety show. I remember nothing about the whole show other than this sketch. 

https://www.nbc.com/maya-and-marty/video/the-war-in-words/3044453

Claire Foy was great in the show, though. She felt a little like an afterthought in most sketches, but she nailed everything they gave her. 

Mikey Day must’ve written both sketches, since he was a writer on both. At least that’s my assumption. 

Claire Foy looked so much like a brunette Dina Manzo in the Good Morning Goomah sketch, it was uncanny. And the Goodfellas tribute? Perfection. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Loved her at Katty Kay at the end of the MJ sketch just saying anything.  

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

"Trump is a werewolf!" Meh, I can buy that.

I liked how Claire as Katty kept ramping things up -- "Donald Trump is a werewolf. He's a gay werewolf. He's a gay Mexican werewolf."

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Mikey Day must’ve written both sketches, since he was a writer on both. At least that’s my assumption. 

That's what I immediately thought too! Great minds!

Boy if Che really did ad lib Judge Judy on Leslie, I still think he should be sleeping with one eye open for awhile.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

I probably liked Dad Christmas and the Family Matters reboot the best, but overall I thought the show was a little below average.

I like to watch TV with the closed captioning on, and I noticed this oddity.  At the end of Good Morning Goombah, the captioning said "Stay tuned afterwards for Chris Hardwick and Talking Goombah".  But the audio said nothing even remotely sounding like that, so it wasn't just a typo.  I've noticed something like this happen a few times now, so I figure the people who do the closed captioning must have a copy of a script, or sat through the rehearsal or something, and they ended up putting down a line that was later cut.  Because that does sound like a real line.

• Love 6

Have the Claire Foy doubters come to repent? Girl is awesome.

To be honest, I was a little worried about this episode...not because of Claire herself, but because she is the kind of host (conventionally attractive Oscar-caliber actress) that the show usually doesn't write for very well. These types of hosts usually get the dud sketches dumped on them so that they can save the "good stuff" for fellow comedians and Friends of SNL. But I thought they utilized her very well, and she seemed game for anything. I'm really going to miss her on The Crown when it comes back.

The World War I bit seemed like a pretty rudimentary sketch comedy premise (am not surprised to hear it's been done before, especially by Mikey) but it worked.

As a child of divorce, I adored Dad Christmas. I didn't have to fly to Florida to see my dad, and he would always have a tree, but Christmas dinner was usually Chinese takeout or make-your-own tacos.

"Eat my ass to hell" is officially entering my lexicon. Thanks Cecily!

The Good Morning Goomah sketch was such a great concept, I feel like they could have done more with it. At first it felt a little derivative of Bronx Beat, but by the end it was its own thing.

The Mueller song with the ladies was delightful. I would love if it entered the rotation for the Christmas specials, but unfortunately it will probably not age well due to the specifics.

All I have to say about A.n.d.e.r.s.o.n.p.a.a.k. is that I have perfected the timing of my bodega runs during musical guests I don't care about.

My two favorite episodes of the season so far have been with hosts who came in under very low expectations (Claire and Liev Schreiber).

10 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

This was a premise of an Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt episode this season as well. "I fell asleep standing up waiting for the subway, and somebody plastered over me with a poster for Ray Don-OH-van. Who or what?!"

9 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

February 4th, 2017 with Kristen Stewart: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/golden-ticket/3465170 

In case the above link doesn't work: 

Yes, thank you! I knew I wasn't crazy (at this juncture, anyway). Ok, no more Willie Wonka sketches for at least five seasons, and ten seasons until they can feature one with the grandparents in bed.

5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Kate McKinnon seemed to be doing her Bernie Sanders with a slightly different accent

I didn't know Kate and Larry David were the same person.

• Love 6

Agreeing with previous poster that Claire's accents were perfect. She nailed each one perfectly. Also, she didn't appear nervous and rarely if ever glanced at the cue cards. Excellent host. 

Speaking of cue cards, I noticed that during the Willy Wonka sketch, Kate seemed to be reading them a lot, which isn't like her. I got the feeling there were a lot of last minute changes. Or maybe having so much business going on in one sketch, in such a tight space with weird camera work, threw everyone off a bit. It was pretty complicated. I always marvel at how they keep all the details straight as actors, given the pressure and the short rehearsal times they get. 

• Love 6

I laughed far harder than I should have at the Willy Wonka sketch. It just got me in that funny place that sometimes doesn’t make sense.

Leslie’s WU bit seemed a little off the rails - I was like huh, we’re really doing the women over 50 aren’t sexual thing here?! - but it I figured the “no” bar was going to be ripped off her t-shirt and sure enough, it was. Che’s Judge Judy ad lib is a perfect example of why he frustrates me so much...flashes of brilliance in an overall underwhelming performance.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

The Mueller song with the ladies was delightful. I would love if it entered the rotation for the Christmas specials, but unfortunately it will probably not age well due to the specifics.

It's probably because of my age, but I've grown tired of politics as I've gotten older.  I know the show has always leaned left, but the whole idea of the entire female cast hoping for someone to be indicted seems more than a little mean spirited to me.  Especially compared to the old clips on Weekend Update of Dana Carvey's George H.W. Bush impersonation.  It seems odd that every actor on SNL has to appear to have the exact same political viewpoints.  

• Love 7

The Netflix skit didn’t even make any sense. Netflix just canceled 3 Marvel shows, including the very good Daredevil.

The Dad Christmas skit was offensive, and even the audience felt it. 

Only made it to WU. Might add more. 

It was a completely blah episode. Maybe I feel that way because I’m totally jonesing for Jason Momoa next week, lol I think they really made Claire Foy an afterthought. Like oh she’s hosting better give her a few bits.

ive never heard of the musical act. His first song bored me so I went to put laundry in. But his second was enjoyable. 

I keep hoping for them to have no more than one political sketch per episode cuz I’d like a moment when I can just escape from all the ugly. But the show frequently disappoints. 

12 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

The “War in Words” sketch was so much funnier the first time on Maya Rudolph and Martin Short’s variety show. I remember nothing about the whole show other than this sketch. 

https://www.nbc.com/maya-and-marty/video/the-war-in-words/3044453

Thanks, Mockingbird.  This is the sketch I was referring to upthread.  And my apologies to Martin Short and Maya Rudolph for calling it The Dana Carvey Show.  (That's why I couldn't find it on Youtube.  Found it right away when I typed in Martin Short instead of Dana Carvey.) :-)

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 2

I loved both the WWI sketch last night and the Civil War one when I saw it online awhile ago, and would actually be entirely okay with it as a very sparsely recurring concept, set during different wars, because the two took different enough directions that the only real link was the premise and Mikey Day.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I didn't find it mean at all, but I did find it insanely corny.  

Maybe a little corny, but it reminded me of Gilda, Jane, and Laraine singing "Chevy, I Love When You Fall Down" with a lot of sarcastic glee. Good times.

That type of song(s) have always had a tradition on the show. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

1) Claire Foy is great at accents

2) in the SNL preview posted above, I wondered why she was wearing a sweater that said "TURD" and then realized she is so slim that that was the only part of "SATURDAY" that was visible most of the time.

I could not ignore the "TURD." I thought it was gonna be part of the skit. 

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

It seems odd that every actor on SNL has to appear to have the exact same political viewpoints.  

Right!? I mean there ARE Trump supporters out there.  I wonder what would happen if one of the ladies was a supporter. Would she participate in the sing-along?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

Leslie’s WU bit seemed a little off the rails - I was like huh, we’re really doing the women over 50 aren’t sexual thing here?! - but it I figured the “no” bar was going to be ripped off her t-shirt and sure enough, it was. Che’s Judge Judy ad lib is a perfect example of why he frustrates me so much...flashes of brilliance in an overall underwhelming performance.

I would not miss Leslie if she left. She constantly flubs her lines (this hasn't gotten better with experience), and she yells constantly.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

Right!? I mean there ARE Trump supporters out there.  I wonder what would happen if one of the ladies was a supporter. Would she participate in the sing-along?

Probably, just as part of the job.  I just tire of the politics.  Maybe do it in the opening sketch and a little in Weekend Update.  Otherwise, give it a rest.

1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

I don't see why the women would be any less professional than the men. 

• Love 3