Type keyword(s) to search

Crikey! It's The Irwins - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I think the Irwins' intent is to raise awareness and to keep money coming so they can continue to run Australia Zoo.  And Oscar wasn't an owl by the way (and walnutqueen - I realize you didn't say that) but he certainly looked like one.

Perhaps after all the treatments that he had to have and the fact that they thought he wasn't going to survive, much less thrive, him having some human contact was unavoidable.  I have seen past episodes where they were much more conscientious about not having human contact.

An animal that is allergic to grass, dirt, and their primary food source - poor baby!

My negative thought (and I love this show and I really like Terri and Robert - I think Bindi is a little awkward on television but that's beside the point) was how heartbroken Malina must have been when Terri left her.  You could see that they had obviously bonded deeply and I wonder if Malina wondered where "her person" had gone.  Is that silly or what?  Having said that, I also figure it was difficult for Terri to leave her behind and certainly seemed to try and find the best situation for her.

Cougar or Steve?  I would have chosen differently.

• Love 1

Steve was a total wanker. On the few occasions I saw any if his programs he was always allowing himself to be bitten by snakes, lizards etc by antagonising them into striking him and drawing blood. Did it once to often with the sting ray! 

I was watching the episode where Robert and the team are relocating the large male and female crocodile to a new and larger pond. They had already moved the male and had finally captured the female. Robert was gripping the Crocs head with all his might with his bare hands and his father's old best friend had his hands in there too. At one point you could see the duct tape they were so desperately trying to hide and then they all released their grips and ran for cover. Voila! There was no tape to remove. Why pretend Robert could hold a crocodile's mouth shut with bare hands? Didn't even his dad used tape or several wrap around with the rope? There a lot of fake stuff going on on that show.

• Useful 4
8 minutes ago, artisto said:

Thank you for this...Love that bird.

So hard to believe that it is not an owl.

Need to perfect this "look"...when you just don't feel like socializing..snerk:

image.png.acf0e2c59c31360ef227163019e2a9c0.png

Resting bird face.

I give that look all the time.  If people still insist on bothering me, I do the baby barn owl snaky head hissy thing.  :~)

ETA - like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgcEiXW65Ko

Edited by walnutqueen
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

On this week's show I was tickled that Bindi showed up at 3:30 am to see the tiger give birth - in full makeup!  I would, for one, love to see her with a lot less makeup but I guess she doesn't feel comfortable without it.

Does the tiger cub not live with the other cub, or does it just take breaks away from mom?  These are the things I wonder.

• Love 1

Congratulations to Bindi & Chandler! They got married today!
Yes, they said they were getting married next year (2021) after getting engaged on Bindi’s 21st birthday last July. But they apparently decided to do it now, because Australia was about to enact a new Coronavirus-related restriction on the number of people you can have at weddings (5) & funerals (10) at midnight (local time) that night, & who knows how long that might last (no, I don’t think she’s actually pregnant & that caused the earlier than announced wedding). As originally planned, Terri helped Bindi get ready; Robert walked her down the aisle; Bindi & Chandler married; the family lit a memory candle for Steve.

• Love 6

Lots of challenges for that wedding as it has been for countless couples across the globe. Obviously I don't know them personally but 21 does seem to be pretty young to be married but them I am an old fogy!

I thought Bindi's wedding and her entire story was very sweet.  The flowers were beautiful...it is unfortunate that her original plans were disrupted time and time again - between the quarantines, travel bans, governmental regulations and the paparazzi (who should be penalized for disturbing the animals like that) - the fact that they still managed to pull off a sweet, intimate wedding was really quite lovely.

I think 21 is very young also, but she and Chandler seem to be quite devoted to one another and I guess if you feel you've found the person with whom you are going to share the rest of your life with why not start now (isn't that a line from a movie or something)?  Marriage is a crapshoot at best - they have similar life interests and passions and seem to have accomplished a lot in a relatively short life.  I wish them the very best.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I guess if you feel you've found the person with whom you are going to share the rest of your life with why not start now (isn't that a line from a movie or something)? 

When Harry Met Sally.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Angeltoes said:

When Harry Met Sally.

Thanks!  It was running in the back of my head (and I know that it isn't the exact quote) but I couldn't place from where...

On 4/18/2020 at 9:09 PM, Kohola3 said:

Lots of challenges for that wedding as it has been for countless couples across the globe. Obviously I don't know them personally but 21 does seem to be pretty young to be married but them I am an old fogy!

My sister got married at age 21, and she and her husband will be celebrating their 17th wedding anniversary next month. (No, she wasn't pregnant.) There are exceptions to the rule. All the best to Bindi and her husband.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, catlover79 said:

There are exceptions to the rule.

Oh, absolutely. And they share common interests.  But statistically the divorce rate for those who marry between 20 and 24 years of age is 60%.  Glad your sister beat the odds.

• Love 1
On 1/13/2019 at 7:17 PM, walnutqueen said:

I TRY to like these people...

I feel like I should like them, but yeah, no, I don't. Maybe the boy, but that's it. I will fully admit, I've never watched this show. I've seen the commercial for it about 100 times now that Discovery+ is a thing. I watch a lot of Food Network and TLC, so pretty much very commercial break is for this show or what ever Joanna Gaines is shilling these days. Every time I see the commercial for this one, I can't help but think he's been dead for 15 years now, isn't it time to stop pimping out his image? I wasn't a fan of his when he as alive, I always felt like he was just doing stupidly dangerous things to be stupidly dangerous and I could never warm up to Terri. At this point, I'm sorry he died, but their living in the shadow of him seems super unhealthy for their mental health. And don't even get me started on how Bindi's unborn baby it already in his shadow too. Honestly, they need to live their own lives and stop trying to live his. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

They "pimp out his image" because they have a zoo to run and are passionate about conservation.  The show they did on the animals lost during the Australian bush fires was amazing - those poor koalas with their burned paws and the babies who survived in the pouches when their mothers died - their dedication (and the other Australian zoos) to restoring them back to the wild is admirable.  I know if I ever went to Australia (unlikely since I hate to fly) then I would definitely want to go to Australia Zoo.  It is a win-win for them - they get paid to be on the show and they also spread the message of conservation and it is free advertisement for their zoo.

• Love 11

Fingers crossed that Bindi doesn't push her daughter into the spotlight to perform for the cameras from an early age like Terri did with her and Robert. Somehow I think it's doubtful though. They are obviously passionate about conservation but there's no denying Bindi was raised to be a performer and thrust into reality tv from a very young age. I hope their child gets offered more a normal childhood. 

• Love 2

I think being in front of the cameras is as natural to Bindi and Robert as running a zoo is to them (good heavens, the camera crew was there at her birth!).  They understand that the work they do requires a lot of money...they are a private zoo and not financed by the government.  Their lives do not appear to be horribly affected and they seem to control a lot of the way they are shown, and I have no doubt Bindi and Chandler will do the same for their baby.  Sometimes being in front of the cameras isn't always a negative experience - Bindi seemed to have a great time on DWTS and she didn't allow the exposure to go to her head and make her behave in ways that do not seem natural to her.

• Love 7
On 4/30/2021 at 5:05 PM, RoxiP said:

I think being in front of the cameras is as natural to Bindi and Robert as running a zoo is to them (good heavens, the camera crew was there at her birth!).  They understand that the work they do requires a lot of money...they are a private zoo and not financed by the government.  Their lives do not appear to be horribly affected and they seem to control a lot of the way they are shown, and I have no doubt Bindi and Chandler will do the same for their baby.  Sometimes being in front of the cameras isn't always a negative experience - Bindi seemed to have a great time on DWTS and she didn't allow the exposure to go to her head and make her behave in ways that do not seem natural to her.

True it may come naturally to her and Robert as it did Steve and she definitely shines in the spotlight but it seems obvious to me that Terri has carefully crafted their image to carry on Steve's legacy and follow in his footsteps. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that but Bindi acted like a mini adult from Steve's death, rarely ever got to just be a child with cameras on her so of course that was the world she grew up with and got used to. They are huge in the media and every little detail of their lives becomes picked apart. Call me bitter but I wouldn't wish fame on anyone. As far as "celebrities" go though the Irwins are certainly some of the better ones.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, overtherainbow said:

True it may come naturally to her and Robert as it did Steve and she definitely shines in the spotlight but it seems obvious to me that Terri has carefully crafted their image to carry on Steve's legacy and follow in his footsteps. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that but Bindi acted like a mini adult from Steve's death, rarely ever got to just be a child with cameras on her so of course that was the world she grew up with and got used to. They are huge in the media and every little detail of their lives becomes picked apart. Call me bitter but I wouldn't wish fame on anyone. As far as "celebrities" go though the Irwins are certainly some of the better ones.

I truly understand your point and in most cases I am wholeheartedly in agreement with you, but the difference here is that the Irwins use their fame to push forward their message of conservation and to keep public focus on their zoo, which admittedly is their business but I don't think they are in it for money for money's sake, which to me makes it less annoying.  I feel like if they had a way to continue their mission without the tv show they would do so, but what they are doing is good.  I guess what I'm saying is that I don't get the famewh*re vibe from them.  They are nice polite people who love what they do and that is a lot more attractive to me than somebody who is just in it for exploitative reasons, using their family to get themselves on television. 

But I don't know them so I could be totally wrong...LOL!

• Love 9

By my guide, it looks like a new episode is on on Saturday 6/5 AP. It's the baby highlights/birth... Looks like maybe new also on AP 6/8 and 6/23. I don't have and won't get Disc+ so am happy to maybe see some new episodes on AP.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I tried to watch this new season and I can barely stand them anymore! I love the baby parts and I admit I teared up when they showed videos of Steve and his love for his babies, both of them....I can't put my finger on it but the worst part is the over acting on Roberts part I guess? Anyone else getting turned off by this show? I used to look forward to and love every single show!

(edited)

Nope, not getting turned off by the show.  Robert is 16 and not a professional actor.  I don't find him off-putting at all.  I suspect he feels like he has to fill his dad's shoes (who was also more than a little over the top), but one of the things I like about this show is that they aren't actors.  Sometimes they are awkward, but I think of them as earnest people who are trying to share their love for animals and their concern for the future of said animals with the public, raise awareness (and money), and for the most part I find them almost painfully sincere.  

In a television viewing world where so many reality shows feature scenes where every other word is a curse word, where people are exploited and scream and treat one another badly, I like my animal shows that just bring a mixture of tears and joy.  Give me more of the Irwins, Dr. Jeff, Tia Torres and I miss Amanda to the Rescue.  I will watch The Secret Life of the Zoo, all of the other Zoo shows, and I truly hope the Atlanta Aquarium one returns.  

Edited by RoxiP
  • Love 10

I have been slow moving though my TiVo stack on these and just watched 'Bindi says yes!' and I must say, knowing what is about to happen,  all the happy looking to the future talk at they end, was kind of like watching a group of random former college friends packing for a fun road trip to the country at the beginning of a horror movie.

(edited)

Bindi is taking a break to focus on her daughter and family and work...makes me wonder if she has struggled with post-partum...

Edited by RoxiP
  • Useful 1
On 6/8/2021 at 8:04 PM, Pietr said:

For those without Discovery +   They have started to show the new season on Animal Planet

I love this show, because of the Irwins. There are other zoo shows that I watch, "The Zoo", "The Zoo: San Diego",  "The Aquarium" and one about the zoo in Ohio but the family is the draw to this one. I don't have Discovery + and am glad new episodes are airing. 

On 6/8/2021 at 12:49 PM, RoxiP said:

Nope, not getting turned off by the show.  Robert is 16 and not a professional actor.  I don't find him off-putting at all.  I suspect he feels like he has to fill his dad's shoes (who was also more than a little over the top), but one of the things I like about this show is that they aren't actors.  Sometimes they are awkward, but I think of them as earnest people who are trying to share their love for animals and their concern for the future of said animals with the public, raise awareness (and money), and for the most part I find them almost painfully sincere.  

In a television viewing world where so many reality shows feature scenes where every other word is a curse word, where people are exploited and scream and treat one another badly, I like my animal shows that just bring a mixture of tears and joy.  Give me more of the Irwins, Dr. Jeff, Tia Torres and I miss Amanda to the Rescue.  I will watch The Secret Life of the Zoo, all of the other Zoo shows, and I truly hope the Atlanta Aquarium one returns.  

I agree that they're incredibly earnest people and it comes off saccharine sometimes but their sincerity makes it bearable.

Robert can be over the top sometimes but so was Steve and I agree that he feels like he HAS to be Steve 2.0. Also, his dad died when he was so young so a lot of what he's learning about Steve Irwin is probably through other people and old footage when Steve was "on". 

I'm always amazed how young Robert is when they mention milestones he's reached so I think that as years go by he'll figure out who he is vs. who he thinks he's supposed to be. 

• Love 2

Robert seems to be a sincere, sweet young guy who knows he is going to become the "face" of Australia Zoo.  Bindi certainly has stepped back with a newborn, Chandler is shown more (and he is definitely not an actor!), and even Teri seems to be more involved with the filming and the actual activities this season.  I agree, this family is really nice and I also love seeing the wildlife rescue center work with the animals that are brought into their care.  The diversity of the wildlife in Australia is always fascinating to me.

I do wonder what happened to Wes, who seemed to be the right-hand man running the zoo the first season.  Did he step back or retire?

• Love 5
On 1/31/2022 at 9:34 AM, RoxiP said:

Robert seems to be a sincere, sweet young guy who knows he is going to become the "face" of Australia Zoo.  Bindi certainly has stepped back with a newborn, Chandler is shown more (and he is definitely not an actor!), and even Teri seems to be more involved with the filming and the actual activities this season.  I agree, this family is really nice and I also love seeing the wildlife rescue center work with the animals that are brought into their care.  The diversity of the wildlife in Australia is always fascinating to me.

I do wonder what happened to Wes, who seemed to be the right-hand man running the zoo the first season.  Did he step back or retire?

Time will tell whether Robert  as he zooms past his 18th birthday will decide to be THE chief Irwin and Steve-O Heir Apparent or will he truly stay content to keep sharing the spotlight (and letting Terri keep ruling as Dowager Queen) ? And will the any of the Powells ever chomp at the bit and want to have their OWN home with just their young nuclear family instead of forever squatting in Terri's palace? And how would Terri react to either of her now grown offspring wanting to live their own lives away from her 24/7. Time will indeed tell! 

• Love 1

I believe Chandler and Bindi have their own home on the grounds of Australia Zoo.  They seem truly committed to the cause (Bindi because she was brought up in the midst and Chandler because he fell in love with Bindi) and it is their livelihood.  I hope they continue to be happy in their endeavors in the future.

• Love 5