Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Episodes Talk

I’m four eps in and am liking it very much. I’m a huge Arkin fan, his presence alone makes this totally watchable. His timing is impeccable. Nancy Travis is growing on me and I’m even liking Douglas. To me it feels like the Grace & Frankie for the men. I hope it takes off.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, sadie said:

I’m four eps in and am liking it very much. I’m a huge Arkin fan, his presence alone makes this totally watchable. His timing is impeccable. Nancy Travis is growing on me and I’m even liking Douglas. To me it feels like the Grace & Frankie for the men. I hope it takes off.

I've described it like this to others as well.  Obviously, they aren't exactly alike...they aren't even 2 sides of the same coin, but they are definitely in the realm of "If you like that show, you should try this show."  I do think this is less sitcom-ish than Grace and Frankie,  which I find a little surprising, only because I would have thought it Chuck Lorre would have had a harder time stepping out of his lane than Marta Kaufman, but I'm not complaining!

• Love 5

Don't flame me . . . but I watched the whole season, and the further in I got, the more I felt like I was watching "Seinfeld and His Friends Grow Old But No More Interesting."

I'm an Arkin fan, too.  And I loved Grace & Frankie.  This just didn't do it for me.

• Love 2

I just watched the first episode and will be back for more, although I thought two of the jokes fell flat: 1) Ludicrous > rapper name, and 2) the waitress side-eyeing Sandy because his companion was crying.

I'm 65. I guess if the Boomers created the market for Saturday morning cartoons, a genre for oldsters now seems reasonable—except the audience will always shrink.

• Love 3

I’ve only seen the first 3 episodes but I like it so far! It’s great to see Michael Douglas again and dang if he isn’t still handsome! Alan Arkin is a treasure—can’t believe he’s well into his 80s. 

I don’t think it’s laugh out loud hilarious, but it’s mildly amusing (and moving in some parts too). 

Eta: yes @sadie— “Grace and Frankie for men” is a great description—I get a pleasantly comfortable vibe from both these shows. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 9

Mr. Kemper and I love it (we are in our 70's/80's)..the comic timing is wonderful.  Here's the thing.  Over the holiday weekend, our son (40ish) was visiting.  He came into the room to see what Mr. Kemper and I were laughing at.  He rolled his eyes when he saw the two leads, but sat down to scroll his phone.  Turned out, he liked the show!  He said he always liked Alan Arkan but hadn't seen much of Michael Douglas; but did remember the sex addiction period.  As he pulled out of the driveway, he said he would put it on his list.  Maybe he was just humoring us.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Mr. Kemper and I love it (we are in our 70's/80's)..the comic timing is wonderful.  Here's the thing.  Over the holiday weekend, our son (40ish) was visiting.  He came into the room to see what Mr. Kemper and I were laughing at.  He rolled his eyes when he saw the two leads, but sat down to scroll his phone.  Turned out, he liked the show!  He said he always liked Alan Arkan but hadn't seen much of Michael Douglas; but did remember the sex addiction period.  As he pulled out of the driveway, he said he would put it on his list.  Maybe he was just humoring us.  

I'm about your son's age and I love this show.  However, since my father's prostate is the #1 topic of conversation with him, it could be that I relate a little too well to some of this.

• Love 11

I enjoyed this a lot (although, like Grace & Frankie, the obscene wealth on display was a bit much for me).

Did anyone else think that the acting student's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf monologue was...nothing terribly extraordinary? She was good, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

It was presented as pure genius. Sandy's worked with Jessica Lange, Diane Keaton, Faye Dunaway and Sally Field, and he thought that was one of the best performances he's ever seen? And the other students all seemed blown away, too. I thought it was all a bit much.

Also, what did people make of Ann-Margret claiming that she only wanted to spend time with Norman because she felt sorry for him? It seemed like we were supposed to believe her, but I'm not buying it. Her aggressiveness at the wake (like telling that other woman to back off) doesn't fit with that.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I enjoyed this a lot (although, like Grace & Frankie, the obscene wealth on display was a bit much for me).

Did anyone else think that the acting student's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf monologue was...nothing terribly extraordinary? She was good, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

It was presented as pure genius. Sandy's worked with Jessica Lange, Diane Keaton, Faye Dunaway and Sally Field, and he thought that was one of the best performances he's ever seen? And the other students all seemed blown away, too. I thought it was all a bit much.

Also, what did people make of Ann-Margret claiming that she only wanted to spend time with Norman because she felt sorry for him? It seemed like we were supposed to believe her, but I'm not buying it. Her aggressiveness at the wake (like telling that other woman to back off) doesn't fit with that.

The wealth issue doesn't bother me here as much, mostly because it makes sense.  True, Norman is far more wealthy than, say, Grace or (and?) Frankie, but he also is a successful agent in a very lucrative business.  Hell, he had Jay Leno, Patti LaBelle, and "Barbara Streisand" at his wife's funeral!  On the other hand, Sandy seems to be living pretty much from paycheck to paycheck.  He doesn't have the digs Norman (or even Lisa) has and, other than his car, seems to have a fairly modest lifestyle.  

As for the student, I agree that her performance wasn't great...but it was earth-shattering compared to some of the other performances we've seen from students in that class.  Putting the tax issues aside, I'm not sure how successful an acting coach Sandy really is.

Angie Dickinson--I saw that completely as her trying to make a move on a new widower and I *think* that is what Lorre was going for.  The predatory widow thing is a pretty standard trope in shows about people of a certain age (or maybe not even quite to that certain age).

ETA: Perhaps I'm being naive, but I am going to call BS on the IRS not contacting Sandy about not paying taxes for 3 years.  A few years ago, we had to file an extension and damn it we didn't get letters every six weeks from the IRS about it.  Of course, that's the closest I've come to not paying taxes, so it might be a different issue if you just...don't pay.  But, really, thinking just because your accountant was dead you didn't have to pay taxes?  I can't believe Sandy is that dumb.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 3
On 11/25/2018 at 9:54 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

The kegel scene is probably one of the funniest things I've seen in years.

I just saw the Kegel scene, and you are correct about it being very funny. I was dreading it, but no, it was not obscene, just funny.

At first it was almost jarring to see 50+ Lisa Edelstein playing Phoebe, the drug addict daughter of Norman and Eileen, but I do appreciate the atypical realism of the casting, since not only is Norman played by 80+ Alan Arkin, but especially since Eileen is played by 70+ Susan Sullivan,  so her daughter would not be a 30-something.

• Love 11

finished.

Bravo. Well done.

Not too short or too long for the Netflix binge format.

Goldilocks.

At the end is one of Chuck Lorre's "Vanity Cards," with a bit of appropriate "traveling music":

Spoiler

image.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I watched the whole thing over the holiday weekend. Loved the people who showed up as themselves and went with the fun.

I found I was impatient by episode 6  by how peripheral the women were in the story. If there's a second season, I hope we'll see these two men more fully developed and less like cartoons.

• Love 1
On November 29, 2018 at 10:54 AM, IrishPirate said:

I watched the whole thing over the holiday weekend. Loved the people who showed up as themselves and went with the fun.

I found I was impatient by episode 6  by how peripheral the women were in the story. If there's a second season, I hope we'll see these two men more fully developed and less like cartoons.

If there's a second season, and if Lorre wants Douglas and Arkin to be in it, IMO, they shouldn't waste any time.
Just sayin' as someone who, like Douglas, has had stage IV cancer, and whose father moved a lot like Arkin before his death of undiagnosed Parkinson's.
I wonder if Lorre would consider doing a season with different lead actors (if Douglas and/or Arkin was no longer able to perform).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
On 11/28/2018 at 8:01 AM, Blakeston said:

I would have graded her as a "C" on that . . . mediocre at best.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:
On 11/28/2018 at 9:01 AM, Blakeston said:

I would have graded her as a "C" on that . . . mediocre at best.  

I had the same problem with the acting class student perfomances in Barry. I couldn't tell if they were really supposed to be good, or if the coach was just dishing out a compliment.
--Like in one of the earlier episodes when Sandy tells Lisa her performance was great: Was it just because he was attracted to her personally?
In this case, I thought Sandy really thought the student's (Margaret) performance was good, since the other students clapped.
But now that you mention it, I wonder if Sandy was reacting to their reaction (clapping)?
--But, even if he was, their clapping was genuine
--but maybe they clapped just because it was a really good performance for the shy student.

Maybe this is the point in both The Kominsky Method and Barry?
--That evaluation of a performance is always subjective?

I think there's a clue in the final scene of the final episode:

Spoiler

[Sandy] We're all scared, and you know why? Because it's a scary fuckin' world. But we get through it because we're not alone. You're not alone.

[Norman] Who do I have?

[Sandy] Me, you dumb shit! Can you see me? I'm right here in front of you. Hi. Hello there. I see you. You see me? Can you keep a secret?

[Norman] Sure.

[Sandy] That's the Kominsky Method.

• Love 3
On 11/28/2018 at 5:00 PM, atlantaloves said:

I enjoyed the show from start to finis except for all the weenie problems the Douglas' character seems to have been having. Try having a period or a baby big boy. Or hey, try a nice big 30 minute hot flash! 

I had trouble watching that because I currently have a similar problem (having to urinate every ten minutes), and it's un-freaking-bearable.

Add in the cancer scare, and I'd say he handled it really well.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Blakeston said:
On November 28, 2018 at 4:00 PM, atlantaloves said:

I enjoyed the show from start to finis except for all the weenie problems the Douglas' character seems to have been having. Try having a period or a baby big boy. Or hey, try a nice big 30 minute hot flash! 

I had trouble watching that because I currently have a similar problem (having to urinate every ten minutes), and it's un-freaking-bearable.

Add in the cancer scare, and I'd say he handled it really well.

Plus, Sandy is an actor. Emoting/expressing himself is his thing.

• Love 3
On 11/28/2018 at 9:01 AM, Blakeston said:

On 11/29/2018 at 1:54 PM, shapeshifter said:

I had the same problem with the acting class student perfomances in Barry. I couldn't tell if they were really supposed to be good, or if the coach was just dishing out a compliment.

Reveal hidden contents

[Sandy] We're all scared, and you know why? Because it's a scary fuckin' world. But we get through it because we're not alone. You're not alone.

[Norman] Who do I have?

[Sandy] Me, you dumb shit! Can you see me? I'm right here in front of you. Hi. Hello there. I see you. You see me? Can you keep a secret?

[Norman] Sure.

[Sandy] That's the Kominsky Method.

I thought the performance was pretty good but it is hard to tell on both shows. I do think we're supposed to take Sandy's reactions more at face value than Gene's as I think Sandy is portrayed as a slightly more serious/successful teacher in this show than Gene is in Barry.  But I also think it's kind of hard to tell since the monologues given on both shows are very small portions of longer pieces/acts/plays and it's done theatrically....i.e. it's something that would play better on stage than on TV as theater doesn't always translate well on TV/in film.

I was going to watch this series here and there but it was deceptively simple to get through and I was done before I realized it.  I adore episodes 25 minutes or less.  I was amused by the series but I think my parents would absolutely love it.  The biggest laugh for me was how Norman hung up every time he got a text.  We just bought my dad a smart phone recently and that felt so very real.

• Love 9

I just finished watching all six episodes and thought both Douglas and Arkin were terrific and perfect for their parts.  If there's another season, and I hope there is, I'll bet we'll meet Sandy's ex-wife, the mother of Mindy.

• Love 11
On 11/30/2018 at 4:18 PM, Irlandesa said:

The biggest laugh for me was how Norman hung up every time he got a text.  We just bought my dad a smart phone recently and that felt so very real.

That was a big laugh for me and my husband also because I got an iPhone last year and still can't figure out how to answer a call when the phone is locked (for some reason it will not accept my touch to unlock it, so I have to enter the passcode and always fumble that). Most of the time the caller has hung up by the time I am able to answer it.

We thought the series was great, despite the premise not sounding all that appealing. Of course, we are the target audience (late 60s-early 70s with the various complaints of aging, though luckily nothing serious yet), but Douglas and Arkin played off of each other so well. It was funny but with just the right touch of poignancy--for example, the funeral scene. It didn't hurt that they had LaBelle performing one of my favorite songs of all time in that scene (and Lady Marmalade has been stuck in my head ever since).  

It's interesting that a lot of people compare this show to Grace & Frankie. I understand why, but I gave up on that show after a few episodes. Maybe it's just because I had trouble feeling sympathy for wealthy women who are older than me but look much better and have amazing beachfront homes. For some reason the wealth in The Kominsky Method did not bother me as much, and maybe it was easier to sympathize with older men who have a similar sense of humor as my husband does about getting older. Speaking of women who are older than me but look much better:

On 11/28/2018 at 10:35 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

Angie Dickinson--I saw that completely as her trying to make a move on a new widower

I agree that she was making a move on him, but wasn't that Ann-Margaret (not Angie Dickinson)? Her timing was wrong, but I don't think widows should be condemned or mocked for seeking companionship, especially with someone who is already in their circle of friends. I don't like to think about myself being in that situation, but I know I would be very lonely and depressed at the prospect of not having love or romance for the rest of my life. 

• Love 6
On 27/11/2018 at 4:03 AM, shapeshifter said:

I'm 65. I guess if the Boomers created the market for Saturday morning cartoons, a genre for oldsters now seems reasonable—except the audience will always shrink.

Chuck Lorre began his TV career writing for Saturday morning cartoon shows - it was the first job he could get. His real dream was to be a musician. Sadly for him, his biggest musical success was writing the theme song for TEENAGED MUTANT NINJA TURTLES.

On 26/11/2018 at 6:50 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

Chuck Lorre would have had a harder time stepping out of his lane than Marta Kaufman,

Seen MOM? There's a lot of seriousness behind the comedy in MOM. I really respect Lorre for trying something new and risking falling flat on his face when he's already had such an enormously successful career.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Paloma said:

I agree that she was making a move on him, but wasn't that Ann-Margaret (not Angie Dickinson)? 

Yes, Ann-Margaret.  Sorry about that!  I have always gotten Ann-Margaret and Angie Dickinson confused.  They are pretty much the precursor to Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds (who, in my mind, are the same person), to me.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I was thrilled to see that this show received 3 Golden Globe nominations--Best Comedy, Best Actor (Douglas), and Best Supporting Actor (Arkin).  However, I would have put both men in the best actor category...

The actors get to decide which category they want to submit themselves in so I'm guessing they agreed to put Arkin in the supporting actor category so that they could both be nominated without competing against each other.

• Love 5

I enjoyed the series also.  A little too much emphasis on the urinary habits of older men, but I get it.  

And Ann-Margaret was definitely "hot-to-trot".  When you hit on a man at his wife's fuuneral, you need to step off.  

I normally despise Lisa Edelstein, but she was hilarious to me in this role.  Her dropping her purse during the eulogy was hysterical. 

As far as Margaret and the monologue, I can't remember the play/show it came from.  Virginia Woolfe maybe?  Regardless, something I've never seen.  So for somebody like me, it's hard to tell if her performance was good or not if I don't know the original.  The girl that did Sally's Steel Magnolia's speech was dead on though.  I liked bothe versions, actually.  

• Love 3

Just finished watching all the episodes and really liked it.  

On 11/28/2018 at 10:35 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

ETA: Perhaps I'm being naive, but I am going to call BS on the IRS not contacting Sandy about not paying taxes for 3 years.  A few years ago, we had to file an extension and damn it we didn't get letters every six weeks from the IRS about it.  Of course, that's the closest I've come to not paying taxes, so it might be a different issue if you just...don't pay.  But, really, thinking just because your accountant was dead you didn't have to pay taxes?  I can't believe Sandy is that dumb.

I just assumed that Sandy did know about problems with his taxes, he was just throwing out letters from the IRS (before his daughter saw them) and hoping they would forget about him, maybe think he was dead or something.  He didn't really think he didn't have to pay taxes.  It wasn't until his daughter happened to open one of the letters that he got caught.

I know someone who would throw out all his phone bills without opening them until he got one with a red border, which would contain a shutoff notice, and only then he would pay it.  But once they sent the shutoff notice in a regular envelope, and since he didn't open it, he wound up getting his phone shut off.   I think some people have this sort of 'magical thinking' that if they don't know about something, it won't happen.

• Love 4
On 11/26/2018 at 9:41 AM, sadie said:

I binged this yesterday and my update on social media said that it reminds me of the male version of Grace and Frankie. Loves this show!!!

• Love 1

Congratulations to The Kominsky Method for winning two Golden Globes!

Best Actor, TV Series, Musical or Comedy:
Michael Douglas, "The Kominsky Method"

BEST TV SERIES - COMEDY:

“The Kominsky Method,” Netflix

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6
On 11/25/2018 at 6:32 PM, SilverStormm said:

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I'm confused by this, or maybe I'm just not understanding the new format yet. I don't see any character topics or show-related talk forums for this show.....????

56 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I'm confused by this, or maybe I'm just not understanding the new format yet. I don't see any character topics or show-related talk forums for this show.....????

Sorry, that was a carryover from when this show was a forum.  Now that this is a thread topic, all aspects of the show can be discussed here.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, NJMom said:

New season starts this Friday, October 25th!

Thank you! Somehow this event had escaped my notice.

Obsessively specifically (from decider.com) :

What time will The Kominsky Method Season 2 be on Netflix?

Netflix consistently drops new seasons of their shows at the same time every time: that is, 12:01 a.m. PT/3:01 a.m. ET. If you’re staying up late to see Season 2 and you don’t see The Kominsky Method at that time, make sure you hit refresh. Otherwise, you’ll be able to watch The Kominsky Method as soon as you wake up on Friday morning on October 25.

So, here in Central time, that will be 2 a-hem 

yawn.png

I love “Grace and Frankie” and wanted to like this. But damned if Lorre doesn’t just have to dump his junior high mindset over everything...the woman’s dying of cancer, Sandy finally goes to see her...so they’re making sex jokes? Or are they ironic, I can’t even tell. Talking about jerking off during her eulogy? Lorre’s shows always have to take everything from sexy to just plain crude. 

I like the daughter, I love the Alan Arkin character, but Sandy’s just a tad smug. Everything seems to just fall his way so far and he’s not very relatable because of it.

Dunno. For those who have watched more, is it worth continuing or is it just “Two and A Half Old Men”? 

@Oldernowiser, my opinion is it's worth continuing, but keeping in mind you'll have to endure some crude moments like that. I don't think I ever watched any of Lorre's other shows, but of course I know his reputation. I was pleasantly surprised by this show, both seasons. That said, I probably would have tolerated worse, because I have adored Michael Douglas for literally 45 years, and have been following Alan Arkin's career for almost as long. So the cast/acting overcomes the content for me.

• Love 3
On 12/14/2019 at 12:57 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Dunno. For those who have watched more, is it worth continuing or is it just “Two and A Half Old Men”? 

I have watched both seasons and do not think of it as Two and a Half Grumpy Old Men or anything like that. But I do recall almost quitting the show in the beginning of the first season because of too many prostate jokes. My advice is to give it a few episodes to see if it is your thing or not, because the quality is there.

• Love 1
On 11/28/2018 at 10:01 AM, Blakeston said:

I completely did not see the wow in that performance at all. But I absolutely hate that play, so it's possible that for me no one's performance of any part of it would seem worth watching.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:44 PM, leighdear said:

I normally despise Lisa Edelstein, but she was hilarious to me in this role.  Her dropping her purse during the eulogy was hysterical. 

I have the exact same reaction to LE, in general and here. I wonder what it is about this role that somehow overcomes my usual reaction. it's certainly not that I like the character, because I don't.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

I have the exact same reaction to LE, in general and here. I wonder what it is about this role that somehow overcomes my usual reaction. it's certainly not that I like the character, because I don't.

I despised her as Cuddy in "House", so that colors my opinion.  In this show, she came off just as dim, vapid and selfish as I thought she was in "House", but so many people thought she was strong, independent & brilliant.  I NEVER saw any of that in her character back then.  And I hated that House was in love with her.    

Now I LOVED his ex-wife being Sela Ward.  Very underrated actress in my book, and so beautiful.