Type keyword(s) to search

Inside No.9 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was surprised this show didn't already have a topic, but am hoping there are other fans here that want to discuss it.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite episode, but I especially enjoyed Sardines and Tempting Fate. The one that surprised me the most was The Devil of Christmas. I wasn't prepared for the brutal ending after listening to Derek Jacobi and laughing at the terrible show he was commenting on for most of the episode.

• Love 1

I love this show so very much—these two men are geniuses! To write shows that range from hilarious to scary to moving is no easy feat, but these guys pull it off so well.

Its hard to pick a favorite episode because they’re all so unique. The 12 Days of Christine is just brilliant. I was also unexpectedly moved by Bernie Clifton’s Dressing Room. Cold Comfort was ... wow! 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 1
On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:54 AM, krankydoodle said:

It's hard for me to pick a favorite episode, but I especially enjoyed Sardines and Tempting Fate. The one that surprised me the most was The Devil of Christmas.

The Devil Of Christmas was terrific but the one I really loved was The Bill. The increasing insanity over who gets to pay for dinner culminating in lying about having 6 months to live and settling it with a round of stabscotch? Just brilliant. I've loved these two since "The League Of Gentleman" but I haven't seen the Halloween one yet. It's going on the to do list right away.

• Love 1

I only caught the Halloween show after the fact on BritBox. It must've been fun to watch live on tv. I suspect I would've been fooled by the fake-out they pull early in the episode if I had seen it that way.

Cold Comfort is one that I've watched a few times now. It's a compelling story and I definitely didn't see that ending coming.

The Bill made me anxious, so I was happy that it had a sort-of-happy ending. At least no one died! And it's always great to see Philip Glenister.

I also really like The Trial of Elizabeth Gadge because of all the silly jokes and the presence of David Warner.

11 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I’ve only seen a few of these but I love the one in the hotel corridor where they’re all speaking in verse. Really well done. 

I wish I had rewatched that one before I let my BritBox description lapse. I'm not a fan of bedroom farce, so I wasn't paying close attention and don't think I gave the episode its due.

So I finally watched the show on Brit Box and I like it, for the most part. I do think for some of the shows, the writers had no idea other than their "twist" or surprise, and those shows are therefore mainly made up of people arguing. Those may be my least favorite ones LOL. I don't know if I have one favorite. I think the one with the homeless guy was a good twist at the end. There are some inconsistencies. Like in the one with the private viewing of the art show, the killer should have had blood all over them after killing the blind lady, because that was an up close and personal job. 

It's not  my thing, if I'm being honest. I don't like horror at all, though only about five out of 25 shows could  be considered  true "horror" IMO. Those, along with the ones with the endless arguing that seems to be filler, mean I  only really enjoyed maybe ten out of the twenty five ? Still, those ten were very well done.

I do have a question for others that has been nagging at me since watching. The "Riddle of the Sphinx" with the crossword solving and the puffer fish. Wasn't this an Alfred Hitchcock or a Twilight Zone, or Outer Limits, or some other show like that ? I mean, I sat there thinking the whole time, "I've seen this before".  Right down to the poisoning and the switched glasses and the man being made to do the crossword puzzle. It just seems so familiar. Anyone else remember a very similar story from another show ?

On 12/29/2019 at 1:43 AM, IWantCandy71 said:

I do have a question for others that has been nagging at me since watching. The "Riddle of the Sphinx" with the crossword solving and the puffer fish. Wasn't this an Alfred Hitchcock or a Twilight Zone, or Outer Limits, or some other show like that ? I mean, I sat there thinking the whole time, "I've seen this before".  Right down to the poisoning and the switched glasses and the man being made to do the crossword puzzle. It just seems so familiar. Anyone else remember a very similar story from another show ?

The Wikipedia article for the episode seems pretty thorough and doesn't mention that, though that doesn't rule out the possibility of course. It does say they were inspired in part by Sleuth and The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover if that helps.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

The Wikipedia article for the episode seems pretty thorough and doesn't mention that, though that doesn't rule out the possibility of course. It does say they were inspired in part by Sleuth and The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover if that helps.

Thank you. It's just one of those niggling things that you get when something feels familiar, but you are not sure why ?  I have not seen either of those movies, so it can't be those that I am bringing to mind.  I did want to also mention that I think the acting has been pretty impressive throughout, especially with Pemberton. He (and Shearsmith to a slightly lesser extent) is so versatile. 

• Love 1
On 2/18/2020 at 5:36 PM, Wee S said:

Absolutely LOVED the 2nd episode of s5!

Never laughed at soulja boy so much.

Psychoville never got the love it deserved, in my opinion. 

YES!!! It was fantastic seeing those characters one last time.

• Love 1

Started watching these with my husband about a week ago and we're hooked. Only into season 2 so far and some are twisty some are puzzling, but love it just the same! 

We were binging and watched The Harrowing around 1 AM and had to watch another one (the train one) so I could fall asleep.

• Love 1

Finally able to watch the latest season now that it's on BritBox. I'm not the biggest fan of the more sentimental episodes like Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room or The 12 Days of Christine, but I really liked Merrily, Merrily. And as a crime drama buff, I thought Nine Lives Kat was fun. Kid/Nap was probably my least favorite, though I thought the split screen was clever. Anyway, I'm glad they ended on a hopeful note, especially since most of Wise Owl was so unsettling.

Edited by krankydoodle