Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 11/26/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, Apprentice79 said:

She was also uncomfortable when she brought up her husband's grandmother who loved the confederacy. When Joy brought up the racism associated with that, she tried to take it back, but, it was too late. I wish that she had expanded on that topic. It would have been very interesting for her to talk about that in light of Hyde-Smith in Mississippi.

This is what I hate about this iteration of the show vs. The View: Original Recipe.  They are afraid to go there.  Afraid to have uncomfortable conversations.  Uncomfortable dialogue.  It just never seems to happen anymore.  Is it because of our political environment?  Probably, yes, for sure.  But a panel full of people getting paid to talk who are afraid to pretty much say anything is pretty boring. 

• Love 18
21 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I have yet to watch a talk show today where Thanksgiving hasn't been mentioned.  Meghan really thought they weren't going to talk about it?  Why?  Just because she didn't want to talk about it?

I picture their morning meeting:

• Producers:  Okay, of course you're all going to talk about what you did for Thanksgiving.
  • Majority:  Sure, we'll talk about it.
  • Meghan:  I don't want to talk about it.
  • Everyone Else:  We'll talk about it.

Apparently Meghan is accustomed to having the last/the only word.  Poor thing, she was blindsided !!!

Edited by HaaCHOO
Bolded Bronzedog...
  • Love 12
21 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Sunny's holier-than-thou attitude about these things really bugs me.  Her children are growing up in NYC (I think?).  I'm pretty sure they've seen and heard things.

Sunny continues to mutter about "condoms in the bathroom" of her kids' school.  The world is moving around her quickly and she's just standing in the glow of her halo.  Alone.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, KicksandGiggles said:

Just a couple of thoughts regarding yesterday's show... I thought Meghan was quite the Debbie Downer with regards to the Thanksgiving conversation, not because she shared her difficult holiday, but because it seemed that she shamed others for having an enjoyable one when she and others are suffering through grief. At least that's how I took it.

I thought I heard a few shows back that Meghan's family cooks 8 fried Turkeys for Thanksgiving.  With Meghan's family seeing that she is still in grief they would have let her eat at least 7 of them.  Plus, they probably gave her half of the remaining turkey and 2 gallons of gravy in a doggie bag so she would have a midnight snack.  After all that she gets dessert which is a couple of squirrels that Meghan shot with one arm while holding a turkey leg in the other.  With all that going on I would think she would have enjoyed Thanksgiving overall.  I guess I just don't get it :-(.

• Love 9
Just now, HaaCHOO said:

Sunny continues to mutter about "condoms in the bathroom" of her kids' school.  The world is moving around her quickly and she's just standing in the glow of her halo.  Alone.

Lol!  Has she ever met the Internet?  Because her kids have SEEN THINGS.  Sorry to break it to her, but they aren't just doing their homework on there.  Pearl clutching Sunny having a case of the vapors over this stuff highly amuses me.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, JayD83 said:

MM is such a bitch.  So now Joy's career aint shit because she doesn't have an Oscar or isn't an EGOT?  GTFOH!

I can't wait to watch her face on Thursday--it'll be like she's biting nails watching Joy, the original co-host, being celebrated. Bow down to the rightful View Queen, bitch! 

• Love 22
10 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

Some day Sunny is going to find out that there are things going on around her household that are at least ten times worse than what she's currently worried about.  After that discovery, Sunny will be silent the whole show with her mouth agape and one of her eyes constantly twitching.  Even though Sunny is silent the whole show, Meghan will still yell at Sunny and accuse her of making the show all about her.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

She was also uncomfortable when she brought up her husband's grandmother who loved the confederacy. When Joy brought up the racism associated with that, she tried to take it back, but, it was too late. I wish that she had expanded on that topic. It would have been very interesting for her to talk about that in light of Hyde-Smith in Mississippi.

I saw this, too. Abby mentioned her husband's racist grandmother and then suddenly wished she hadn't when pressed on what she said that was "out of touch" or whatever. She realized the shit that grandma in law said was bad-really bad when she considered saying it in front of Whoopi. I get it. I have had some really racist relatives die off and let me tell you, that was the only thing that cured them of it. It was pointless to call them out on it. Racists gonna race. I absolutely refuse to deal with anyone like that now, but luckily-like I said-a lot of them are dead now and I moved up north. I remember trying to apologize for them using the same kind of phrasing Abby used about them coming from another time. They were somehow able to adapt to electricity, but learning not to be racist was just way too much for them.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, Silver Raven said:

I had to laugh out loud twice today.  First, when talking about Manafort, when MM said, "Now, I don't know anything about this, but ..."  And then again when Whoopie fact checked her on Mike Espy's contributions.

She doubled down and said that he was still bad.  She did not want to say that he is a Black Democrat and there is no way in hell she would vote for him. 

I did love Whoopie taking a shot at her in saying that there were people who said that Roy Moore was going to win, but, he lost.. Megan was on her high horse and said emphatically that Roy Moore would win. 

• Love 17

I think Abby might have been worried that talking about the racism of her husband's grandmother might involve some backlash from her husband's family members.  She regretted bringing it up, and didn't want to go any further. 

My grandmother was very racist.  I let it go because she was born in 1890, and grew up in a racist environment, never having opportunities to know anyone outside of a closed circle.  My dad had more education, more opportunities, and grew up in an era where he was exposed to different people and different ideas.  I have a problem with his racism.  It's kind of the norm for old white guys like him (90+) and he's a dying breed.  That's why the racism, as they were talking about in Mississippi for example, bothers me so much.  I had so much hope that my generation and those after me, were past the racial hatred. 

• Love 20

If the producers did have a talk with Elisa, RB, MM and every other name NEWSFLASH to the PRODUCERS, you could talk to her every day until the end of the world but she has shown herself 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . .. infinite number so no matter what if you are trying to re do her image we the viewers and the world have seen her to be the racist, evil. snarky, incompassionate, least intelligent, vile and every other word to describe the evilness she is 

The only thing that the PRODUCERS could do would be to get her off the show.

• Love 11

Meghan REALLY pissed me off today with equating Espy taking a campaign contribution (but he gave it back, AND alerted the CIA) from a questionable source.  (thanks to her husband's notes on her blue cards, I assume) .  It's her idiotic attempt at "both sides are bad!" I loved Whoopi for being able to contradict her.   I guess I love whoever gave WHoopi the heads-up about the real story, after they learned Meghan was going to bring it up, because I don't give whoopi that much credit.   I think her original comment about Espy was "he's no saint."   Oh, OK, so that's the standard?  

Meghan said something about being "stuck" with Cindy Hyde-Smith.  NO, Megs, you don't live in Mississippi, you're not stuck with her, and you do not HAVE to defend every republican.  Really, it's OK to think that in some cases the democrat is the better person.   

I found it funny that Meghan was "talked to" about calling people racist.   REALLY?  of all the bullshit she says, THAT is the thing that is offensive?    And I bet they are not happy with her announcing that she's been "talked to".  she hates being there, that is clear.  But it's also clear that she thinks of it as her civic duty, to represent the republican point of view.   

• Love 21

I kind of felt bad for Abby.   My grandma words have not changed with the times but her heart has. She still constantly uses wrong terms that are not used anymore and it’s difficult to get her to change that no matter how many of her grandchildren try to teach her. 

Was Megan really talked to about calling people racist?   Really don’t think she has used that term often.  

The documentary they were discussing I hope it shows up on Netflix sometime. 

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

I'm glad they didn't include idiot Meghan in the segment about Sandra Bland. Her family members are way too composed, classy and dignified and I'm sure Meghan would've tried her "whatboutism" on them.

They generally exclude her from any interview with a Black guest where race might be a topic.   Which then annoys me that ABC employ's someone for a talk show who they don't trust in certain interview situations.  

• Love 14

I believe Meghan was talked to, but probably about screeching and disrespecting her cohosts and guests … yet again.  That is probably why they did not let her participate in the segment about Sandra Bland.  Not because they were specifically worried that she'd say something racist (she rarely does, with Whoopi in her line-of-sight), but that she'd start screeching, being unprofessional, and making the segment all about herself.  Because the guests were black, MM took it to be about racism.  I notice that after a talking to MM tends to behave for a few minutes or an entire segment, but then she can't help herself and starts screeching, yelling & interrupting with the attention span of a gnat.  I doubt she even remembers what TPTB said to her.

In the first half of the show everyone seemed to be interrupting everyone else so that nobody could finish a thought.  A complete waste of viewers time. Cutting out the loudest mouth allowed respectful discussion in the second half.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Meghan REALLY pissed me off today with equating Espy taking a campaign contribution (but he gave it back, AND alerted the CIA) from a questionable source.  (thanks to her husband's notes on her blue cards, I assume) .  It's her idiotic attempt at "both sides are bad!" I loved Whoopi for being able to contradict her

And she barely acknowledged there was any contradiction...she just kept plugging away being "right."

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

And she barely acknowledged there was any contradiction...she just kept plugging away being "right."

MM just doesn't listen to others. 

Plus, the info wasn't on her blue cards, so it doesn't exist in her small mind.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, fatewemake said:

Sunny will be silent the whole show with her mouth agape and one of her eyes constantly twitching.

This word picture is perfect...and truly funny.

3 hours ago, fatewemake said:

After all that she gets dessert which is a couple of squirrels that Meghan shot with one arm while holding a turkey leg in the other. 

And this.  Our comedy writers are hard at work today.  

Edited by HaaCHOO
jittery
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I saw this, too. Abby mentioned her husband's racist grandmother and then suddenly wished she hadn't when pressed on what she said that was "out of touch" or whatever. She realized the shit that grandma in law said was bad-really bad when she considered saying it in front of Whoopi. I get it. I have had some really racist relatives die off and let me tell you, that was the only thing that cured them of it. It was pointless to call them out on it. Racists gonna race. I absolutely refuse to deal with anyone like that now, but luckily-like I said-a lot of them are dead now and I moved up north. I remember trying to apologize for them using the same kind of phrasing Abby used about them coming from another time. They were somehow able to adapt to electricity, but learning not to be racist was just way too much for them.

Omg, I caught Abby's brain screech at her lol.  I heard it screaming ,what the hell girl walk this back.😂

Sorry. It cracked me up. I'd feel bad for Abby but I don't make excuses for racist, just because they are old or I'm related to them. It did make me wonder why Abby brought it up.  I mean, bring up your own racist granny leave your hubby's out of it😂

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I had to laugh out loud twice today.  First, when talking about Manafort, when MM said, "Now, I don't know anything about this, but ..."  And then again when Whoopie fact checked her on Mike Espy's contributions.

I laughed when she started in about how exhausting it is to be a Republican. 

35 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Omg, I caught Abby's brain screech at her lol.  I heard it screaming ,what the hell girl walk this back.😂

Lol, it really did. Stop talking, mouth!

• Love 13

I'm stuck living in MS and was shocked when there ended up being a need to have a run off between Espy and Hyde-Smith. She's a disgusting, annoying and racist bitch who I'm fully expecting to win anyway. Did they bring up the nooses and racist signs being found at the State Capitol down here? I was talking to a friend who's younger then I am who said her Mom was going on about Hyde-Smith saying what I did about her. So friend asked her Mom if she was going to vote for her and the Mom's response was basically what RBM said. Trump and Pence visited an area near me yesterday and I'm near enough to see the local news that covered it. It was a sea of white people with red hats all over which made me feel so sad inside. One guy who was interviewed said something about getting the wall up as he walked off. I'll honestly be shocked and surprised in a good way if Espy wins. He'll have a lot of work and an uphill battle to fight if he does. 

I think I'm going to try watching Joy's anniversary show and Friday's show to see Ana piss off RBM by just being there.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Did they bring up the nooses and racist signs being found at the State Capitol down here?

I don't think so...unless it was something in the background.  Maybe they'd have to give "equal time" to someone.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, OnTime said:

I missed that.  Details, please!

That's all we know.  There is a call in for @WonderWuman73 to get right on it.

5 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Today we learned that Abby is NOT an expert on:

1)  Pardons

2)  Mississippi History

Shall I keep a record...just so we know?

Ok then, @HaaCHOO - keeping tabs on what Abby is NOT.

ETA - Haachoo you are killing me today.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 6

I'm pretty sure Whoopi's wrong about EGOT starting on 30 Rock.  (Maybe she corrected it in the next segment which I missed the beginning of.)  The first time I heard of EGOT was in an article years (decades?) ago on Philip Michael Thomas of Miami Vice.  I can't remember if it was during the run of Miami Vice or a few years afterwards, but it can't be much afterwards since he pretty much fell off the face of the earth.  The article was an interview and one question they asked was why he was wearing a pendant with the letters E, G, O, and T on it.  He then explained that his goal was to win each of the four major entertainment awards.  Maybe he originated the term.  Or maybe it was around before that.  Regardless, I don't think it originated on 30 Rock.

Eta:  I just checked.  He did coin the term:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Michael_Thomas

Thomas coined the acronym "EGOT", meaning "Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony", in reference to his plans for winning all four. He has not, as yet, been nominated for any of these awards, but has received a People's Choice Award and a Golden Globe nomination.

Wow, he has 11 children.  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 11

What I took from Meghan saying she was spoken to by producers was that they were making sure she understood she couldn't say the statements of that woman in Mississippi constituted racism or that she was racist because that may open them up to a lawsuit. Kind of like having to add "allegedly" into statements made. It didn't really sound to me like she was being reprimanded in anyway but instructed on how to legally discuss this topic live.

Edited by SuzieSioux
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Sorry. It cracked me up. I'd feel bad for Abby but I don't make excuses for racist, just because they are old or I'm related to them. It did make me wonder why Abby brought it up.  I mean, bring up your own racist granny leave your hubby's out of it😂

I thought it was funny too honestly 😂 you could literally see it her train of thought come to a halt. I’m sure she brought it up to contribute something meaningful to the convo and then realized, oh crap, I have to spend the holidays with my in-laws, let me not talk about their dead racist mother. Not that I excuse it, but I almost accept it from “that” generation and don’t expect them to really change their ideals at that age (doesn’t mean I have to interact with them). What makes me sad/angry/frustrated is people my age(late 30s) with even the most basic education and hopefully KNOW better that hold these ideals. That being said, I can not believe (lie: I can) that RBM would try to use her “whataboutism” BS to almost defend that awful woman running in Mississippi. Taking and then returning campaign money is NOTHING compared to bragging about wanting attend a public lynching, attending a segregated school, etc. And NO Meghan, you do not have to vote for her because she’s Republican. I don’t know how much more clear she can be about her being party over country.

I don’t want to speculate, but I’m pretty sure someone will have to stuff a sock in Meghan’s mouth to keep her bitchiness at a minimum on Thursday while they’re honoring Joy. My jaw literally dropped when she said that shit about Joy’s career not being as relevant as Whoopi’s because she’s not an EGOT. Both women are self-made and not the typical “Hollywood” cookie cutter types and deserve the accolades. And NEITHER of them have poorly attempted to build a nonexistent career off their relative’s back. Just saying. 

• Love 19

I can't tell if Abby realized that she outed her husband's grandmother as racist and try to walk it back when Joy bluntly asked the question or if she realized too late that she presented her story completely wrong. I've heard of people's in-laws and grandparents who do use outdated terminology from their time and just didn't adapt but you can tell from their interactions, opinions and behaviours that they aren't racist...I'm just wondering if that was more of what the grandma was like instead of racist.

The Mississippi talk sums up all the reasons why I find Meghan disingenuous and unreliable with information. Despite how racist the Rep. candidate obviously is, Meghan dedicated all of her talking points to sharing half ass information about the Dem candidate and why he isn't a great choice either (still better than a racist who openly admits to liking lynches). She had no intention of pointing out what Whoopi did about the Dem candidate because that was the basis for why she thought he was a horrible candidate and once corrected, she still didn't like him, offered no other gems for why he was a bad candidate and then try to derail her stupidity on display by then giving attention to the racism of the Rep. candidate.

Sandra's Bland's sister did a wonderful job doing her segment. Articulate, poised, confident...she represented her sister's cause well today. Hopefully Netflix picks up the documentary.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, SuzieSioux said:

What I took from Meghan saying she was spoken to by producers was that they were making sure she understood she couldn't say the statements of that woman in Mississippi constituted racism or that she was racist because that may open them up to a lawsuit. Kind of like having to add "allegedly" into statements made. It didn't really sound to me like she was being reprimanded in anyway but instructed on how to legally discuss this topic live.

Yes, I wonder if the talking-to was about how you can say a certain behavior reflects or is indicative of "racism"  but not that a particular PERSON is "racist."    Saying a person is racist is much more likely to have consequences like a lawsuit, while explaining how some action reflects racism is an opinion about behavior.   Whoopi picked it up and said "it's RACISM,"  and I think that a Black host pointing out racism is much less likely to end up n any negative response than a white host calling a political candidate racist.  

Especially the day of an election, to say that a candidate is racist would not be wise.  

• Love 10
7 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I think her original comment about Espy was "he's no saint."   Oh, OK, so that's the standard?

Somewhere during my lifetime, the standard for candidates shifted from "Who will do the best stuff for me as a citizen and the community/city/state/country in which I live?" to "Who has skeletons in his/her closet and how can we exploit and embarrass him/her?"

Forget voting for saints, vote for someone who will bring Mississippi up from the dregs in nearly every measurable category!

I remember when David Dukes, KKK Grand Wizard, ran against Edwin Edwards,* a well-known scoundrel, for governorship of Louisiana. Pres. George H.W. Bush, a Republican, endorsed Edwards, a Democrat, and said Duke was "an insincere charlatan." THAT's what patriots do, Meghan!

* Edwards was absolutely unrepentant about everything. One of his campaign lines was: "What's the only thing David Dukes and I have in common? We're both wizards under the sheets!" 

• Love 20
9 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I found it funny that Meghan was "talked to" about calling people racist.   REALLY?  of all the bullshit she says, THAT is the thing that is offensive?    And I bet they are not happy with her announcing that she's been "talked to".  she hates being there, that is clear.  But it's also clear that she thinks of it as her civic duty, to represent the republican point of view.   

This. Part of our race problem in this country is not being able to call a spade a spade. If more white people called out other white people when they were racist that would help too. Not at all surprised by the producers of the View-- that's why diversity behind the camera is important too.

• Love 15

Meh-gun conceded something yesterday? All I heard was her say that the Democrat in Mississippi was just as bad as a Republican who enjoys lynching’s and celebrates the Confederacy because he received a donation and then returned it? The woman clearly lives and breathes lies.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, tinkerbell said:

There was a brief shot, when Whoopi was talking, the camera focused on Meghan GLARING across the table at Whoopi.  The look - narrowing her eyes, frowning, showed her anger, and I LOVE that the producers/camera crew decided to show that.  

That has been happening a lot lately.  You can tell by her look that she isn't absorbing what is being said but thinking of what she is going to say next.

• Love 18