Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 11/26/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Sunny, Sunny, Sunny...   A brief kiss--at a parade or anywhere else--is NOT "making out."  What world do you live in?  A kiss is a kiss is a kiss.  If if hasn't caused problems already, your prudery will cause your two good kids to feel that they have to hide everything from you related to their thoughts/feelings/dealings with the opposite sex.   Simmah down!

Sunny's holier-than-thou attitude about these things really bugs me.  Her children are growing up in NYC (I think?).  I'm pretty sure they've seen and heard things.  She is gonna be in for a world of shock and awe when those kids trip up and do something she disapproves of (which is pretty much everything).  It must be so uncomfortable for her sitting there for an hour with that board up her ass.

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I have yet to watch a talk show today where Thanksgiving hasn't been mentioned.  Meghan really thought they weren't going to talk about it?  Why?  Just because she didn't want to talk about it?

Yeah, it's kind of like, when they discuss a parenting topic, Meghan has to jump in with, "I have nothing to say about this, because I don't have kids!"  

RIght.  If you have nothing to say - say nothing!  

All she had to do about thanksgiving is to let the others talk.   If asked, she could have said "this year's holidays are difficult for me."  PERIOD.  That would make her much more relatable. 

• Love 24
8 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Sunny's holier-than-thou attitude about these things really bugs me.  Her children are growing up in NYC (I think?).  I'm pretty sure they've seen and heard things.  She is gonna be in for a world of shock and awe when those kids trip up and do something she disapproves of (which is pretty much everything).  It must be so uncomfortable for her sitting there for an hour with that board up her ass.

It cracks me up that Sunny can get worked up over a KISS.   When my son was little, he picked up right away that two of his uncles were a couple.  Other family members were upset that I had a conversation with him about it, because he was too young to understand it.   Made no sense to me, because he was the one who told me, "sometimes boys marry girls, sometimes boys and boys get married."   We don't have to shield kids from differing ideas about love.  When we do, we tell them that certain feelings are wrong, and that's much more dangerous than seeing a couple kiss on TV. 

• Love 24

What MM doesn't realize is that the constant references to her grief, and the apparent a requirement that all guests (or at least the political ones) make a ceremonial mention of John McCain actually cheapens his memory. It's like a callus forming from repetitive irritation - the audience starts to hear, "John McCain, yadda, yadda..." and tune out.

• Love 19

I think you hit on the issue, @tinkerbell.  Sunny might be afraid of all the gay because merely talking about it with her children (much less any visuals of a kiss) will give her kiddos ideas.  Oh sure, if it never gets mentioned, they will never know . . . . . . She probably thinks if she never has "the talk" with them about sex, then they will never be tempted to sleep with anyone.   She really does live with her head in the sand.

3 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

Hasn't fully formed Sunny stated more than once that she prosecuted sex crimes? Given her background, seems odd to me that she's such a prude when it comes to a kiss in a parade.

She probably wishes she could prosecute them for Kissing in Public While Gay.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, WonderWuman73 said:

She's exhausting. She probably sat in the corner because no one in her family wants to be around that , got drunk and passed out in a pool of gravy.

Hahaha! I love the image of that! And also, we know it's probably exactly what did happen.

Good on Meghan for speaking up against any backlash to the kiss, I will say that. She spoke well there. I just don't assume this means there'll be any future improvement, as she has shown in the past that she can say something well and then the next day turn into a shrieking harpy again. I agree with others too that her Thanksgiving discussion sounded really passive aggressive when she could have had a nice point to make for people who weren't having a good holiday. It almost sounded to me like after the other three spoke about Thanksgiving, Joy was going to move into the first "hot" topic without asking Meghan, when Meghan decided to interrupt. This makes me wonder if they were trying to be tactful for her sake, knowing that she would've had a hard time of it this year, but she butted in anyway. Or maybe they just didn't want to spark off a fifteen minute discussion of her father yet again.

The opening talk seemed a bit confused, and I am hoping that Joy was maybe having a slight off start to the show, rather than it being a sign she is starting to lose her faculties.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing with Sunny because her argument ("I don't want to even have to explain a straight kiss to my children") is not only pathetic, but is so outdated - it is the type of excuse that homophobes who don't want to appear homophobic used to use a lot. It's like whiplash listening to how awesome she is when it comes to political stuff and then how childish she is over personal issues. I'm also not sure how genuine I thought it was or whether she was playing devil's advocate to have something to discuss during the completely stone cold topic that was the kiss. Ugh, I want to like you Sunny and you can make it so difficult! Loved Sean Hayes reaction to it, and then snarking on how smoothly the show was running. Also, he introduces his partner and Sunny greets him with a huge smile. Not worried you have to explain that to your kids too Sunny?

Also, aren't her kids too old to not know about kissing already?

I muted the show when Sanders started banging on about McCain like every other guest. It's just cringey.

Abby's mother looks like she would be perfectly cast in a new adaptation of The Stepford Wives. Seriously creepy looking face with nothing going on behind it.

Edited by SuzieSioux
There was a big blank space below my post.
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, SuzieSioux said:

I couldn't believe what I was hearing with Sunny because her argument ("I don't want to even have to explain a straight kiss to my children") is not only pathetic, but is so outdated -

Yes, Sunny - everyone knows that until that catholic priest says "you may now kiss the bride",   no kissing has occurred. 

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, SuzieSioux said:

Abby's mother looks like she would be perfectly cast in a new adaptation of The Stepford Wives. Seriously creepy looking face with nothing going on behind it.

I was thinking The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City. She definitely had that plastic look about her. 

• Love 10

It's my byline that's a good one ! ( her last name) out of curiosity what qualifies her as a journalist? Being in the front lines in war torn countries? 

Have to agree with all who acknowledge first  holidays and having lost a loved one.  She's not packing up a life and having to sell a home or talk to insurance companies sending death certificates and marriage certificates to prove you were married.  I got so pissed with the amount of proof I had to send I put  a wedding photo from 35 years before in my truck load of proof. .  My husband passed away first week of November and that Christmas my son was traveling 4 hours with wife and son whose first Christmas it was.  I went to a lot crying bought a tree hauled it in put lights on and decorated it because you do the best you can , not keep bringing up how broken you are. She's right it's ok to not be ok but ya don't get to announce it non stop. Maybe nobody is asking how's she's doing so she's going to enlighten the nation. 

I'm sorry Jaded you had to go through that  nightmare . That phone hotline person should be horsewhipped. I was in a small town alone and when family left My dog a i did go to a hotel where family is and stayed 10 days. 

damn this iPad!!  it usually disappears this time it got sent without my thumb. I apologize for going off topic too but it's getting very tiring to see that long face come out day after day yes you tough chick . 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 17

Here's my theory on Sunny's reaction:

I think most/many people are for LGBT+ equality. Sunny is a compassionate woman and a smart one. I believe she is fully supportive of gay rights, and comfortable around gay people.

But sometimes, seeing something go from theory to reality for the first few times can be jarring and uncomfortable. I think Sunny, who tends to live a conservative life, has not seen gay people express physical affection much. I think she was shocked.

I tend to give her a pass on her reaction, as long as she's still seeing the bigger picture. And with exposure will come greater comfort.

A personal anecdote: My parents were absolutely homophobic when I was growing up, which made life real interesting when my stepbrother came out in college. They eventually accepted him, but referred to him as "The Deviant" (supposedly as a joke, haha) when he wasn't around. As societal acceptance grew, and he got into a long-term relationship, they got more comfortable with him and his partner. They kept in touch with his partner when the break-up came. My brother got into another long-term relationship and eventually married. One of my proudest moments was at our last Thanksgiving together, when my mom insisted my brother and his husband have their formal picture taken together, as all the other couples in the family were doing.

People do evolve, as both Hillary Clinton and Pres. Obama have expressed in their own views toward gay rights.

I see "the kiss" at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as one small nudge toward America's path to acceptance. And Sunny's, too.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 19

I agree @Jaded and @athousandclowns - miserable situations. Mine is similar in that the first mr lookeyloo left me and the kids over the bicentennial in a relatively strange city and he went off with the nurse with a big family. We were left to “celebrate” the holidays alone. Sometimes the kids would be worthy of an invitation. I was distraught - it is not considered as grief worthy to mourn a spouse leaving but it is devestating - along with the aloneness is the rejection. He chose to leave me. Took me a long time and therapy to feel normal again. Miss Meghan needs therapy. Or she wants to milk this for all it is worth. 

• Love 17

I thought Meghan's hair and make up looked good today but what is with her big broach obsession? Abby looked cute and gave me old school RnB vibes with the high pony and hoop earrings, lol.

Totally understandable that Meghan would have a rough Thanksgiving being the first big holiday without her dad but I feel like she's often commanding the floor to tell people that it's okay to be angry and upset and not happy, etc. She seems to constantly need to reinforce the notion that it's okay to be moody and depressed. Of course it's okay to be honest with our feelings but unless you're clinically depressed, we have a lot of control in shaping positive mental health and it starts with having a good outlook. You can be completely depressed and moody that you're without your father this Thanksgiving and Christmas, BUT on the flip side, you can be sad and miss him but also take the positive away from it in being even more thankful and grateful for the family that you have and the fact that you can lean on them for support in what's a trying time for everyone.

Sunny has got to be kidding me with her analysis of the parade kiss. First of all, that was not making out. And secondly, if you've let your kids watch any Disney movie (which almost all have a romance storyline and a kiss) then your children have all seen a kiss like that. You can't convince me that any criticism of the moment has to do with kissing being inappropriate for children but rather has everything to do with the kiss being between two women.

Listening to Sunny constantly use the term 'fully-formed' grated on my nerves today because it was such a horrible choice of words and I couldn't kept but picture a developing fetus each time she said it. I don't know why Sunny and Meghan kept pointing out their careers and working on TV - Abby sat right at that table and explained how she's maintained her maiden name for the purposes of her career but personally, she has taken on her husband's name legally. Tamara Mowry from The Real is also another example of someone who has done this. Not liking your husband's last name and/or simply not wanting to go through the trouble of having to change all of your legal documents are far better reasons (imo) than 'I have a career so I didn't change my name'.

• Love 7

I'm so sorry for you all who've had a rough time, Jaded, Thousand, and Lookey. Just goes to show that Meghan doesn't have a monopoly on melancholy during the holidays. The tough chick needs to buck up and deal with it like a big girl.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

The people I'm around now who I do mention her to didn't even know her except for one and that person never knew her when she was well so I don't have anybody left who remembers the real her to reminisce with.

I find that's the hardest part ... no one who knew her except my older sister who's memory is failing.  My sympathy for what your went through @Jaded.

• Love 11

The best argument I've ever heard for a woman keeping her own name was, "Well, I have the medical degree and he doesn't." ;-)

Mine is the second best: My husband's last name was 13 letters and five syllables. I always told people I was going to keep my own name after marriage, and I fully intended to in any case, but his last name was an extra added incentive.

I hadn't realized that Hostin was Sunny's married name.

I also thought it was cute and "homey" that they kept talking to relatives of the guests/panelists in the audience. It made it feel comfy to watch.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

Yes, Sunny - everyone knows that until that catholic priest says "you may now kiss the bride",   no kissing has occurred. 

Didn't Sunny tell a story about catching her teenage son making out with a girl  at a party?

• Love 6

If Sunny & her kids saw "the kiss" together, I can imagine Sunny covering her eyes and asking them if they needed her to explain what they just saw, with the kids responding "Ohhh, Mommmm!"    And Sunny would get all tangled up trying to interpret whether the kissers were lesbian, bisexual, transsexual or just actors. And the kids would say "Ohhh, Mommmm, what difference does it make?". 

And when has MM ever been "bright and bubbly" on a daytime talk show?

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4

I don't consider anything about Sunny's comments to be homophobic. Her criticism of physical intimacy is pretty consistent with other commentary she's given on the show (she even brought up the condoms in high school bathrooms again today). I personally don't mind that conservative side of her when it comes to watching people kiss, make out, etc., but YMMV.

• Love 7

I hope this isn't too off topic, but, I follow Sunny on Intragram, and, her son is a good looking kid.  If he's still in a bubble, I doubt he's going to be there for long.

If Meghan writes a book it should be about geography.  That way she can explain how Arizona ended up in the Midwest.

• Love 18

Meggie, Meggie, Meggie. You are not the first one to lose a parent and you are not the last one.  At my dad's funeral my cousins on his side came in from another state and we were reminiscing and I was laughing remembering the good times. Later I found out my mom's sister made a snarky comment about me having a good time "with her dad's kin"  (yeah, we're southern).  Yes, I was having a good time and laughing and I'm not sorry because it had been such a rough time. I can imagine Meggie getting angry at anyone who laughs at any time.  "I'M IN MOURNING AND ALL OF YOU SHOULD BE TOO!!"  As far as Meggie taking her husband's last name (I'm too lazy to look it up), she has no identity beyond "McCain."

Sunny, I would rather see two people of the same sex kissing than watching the news with the people at the border being teargassed.  They weren't "making out" it was just a simple kiss.  You can see worse walking down the street.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

When SH said 'How do I explain it to the children?' she was obviously referring to the same-sex nature of the kiss.  She wouldn't have to explain an opposite-sex kiss.

I disagree. She first said that it wouldn't have mattered if it had been a man and a woman before saying she wouldn't have wanted to talk about two people swapping spit on live TV and asked why people are always making out everywhere in public. Public displays in general are impolite and uncomfortable to some people. *shrug* I guess I'm going off her past behavior on this show, where she's shown herself to be a proponent of LGBT rights while also being a prude. For me, this falls in line with the latter rather than disputes the former.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 5

Hey gals, I have the best reason for not changing your last name with marriage, after my third marriage I said, HELL, I am so sick of dealing with the phone company (yes I am that old) that I am keeping ONE NAME, the one I was born with. yep. Social Security was easier with a name change than Southern Bell.  Ha.  And, no, I am not kidding. I got my phone number with my first divorce, and honey I STILL HAVE IT. Yahooooooo. 

• Love 11

Wait, didn't Meghan say she never even considered changing her name, personally or professionally? (I may be mis-remembering.)

Her Twitter bio says this:

Co-host of @TheView. @ABCPolitics analyst. Blonde Republican. Rabble rouser. Ice queen. Mrs. Domenech. #FuckCancer 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Sunny's reaction to the same-sex kiss isn’t only prudery it's also homophobia, a mild case but homophobia nonetheless.  

What is there to explain to children?  Kids aren't bothered by it, they haven't been poisoned by their religion yet.

I think that you can be uncomfortable with homosexuality and not be homophobic. Change takes time and as long as you are not trying to hurt LGBT people physically and legislatively. I think that Sunny is just a prude. I remember her having a meltdown over condoms being available in the bathroom of her son's high school.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I think that you can be uncomfortable with homosexuality and not be homophobic. Change takes time and as long as you are not trying to hurt LGBT people physically and legislatively. I think that Sunny is just a prude. I remember her having a meltdown over condoms being available in the bathroom of her son's high school.  

It's possibly Sunny is uncomfortable with homosexuality, who knows. I know abortion is a touchy issue for her because of religious reasons, but I've never seen her make comments about LGBT issues before that make me go "Eh....?" and she's been on the show for a long time now. She probably would've shown those true colors before, which is why I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. I don't see the use in raking somebody who has been generally supportive of LGBT and critical of their/our oppressors over the coals for an innocuous comment. I wouldn't be too surprised if Sunny clarified herself tomorrow, since she's done that before.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

It's possibly Sunny is uncomfortable with homosexuality, who knows. I know abortion is a touchy issue for her because of religious reasons, but I've never seen her make comments about LGBT issues before that make me go "Eh....?" and she's been on the show for a long time now. She probably would've shown those true colors before, which is why I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. I don't see the use in raking somebody who has been generally supportive of LGBT and critical of their/our oppressors over the coals for an innocuous comment. I wouldn't be too surprised if Sunny clarified herself tomorrow, since she's done that before.

I agree with you. I am giving Sunny the benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6

My niece said "That's weird" during the kiss. I think I said something like "Some people do that" and then she said "It's weird" again.  I'm not the parent, so I wasn't going to elaborate, and she didn't ask any questions. She moved on never mentioning it again.  Living in a bubble of Disney princesses and kids movies that was probably her first time seeing a same sex kiss. 

• Love 3

I think a lot of Sunny's prudery comes from her personal faith but I give her a break because I don't see it a problem in her professional or political ideals. If she gets some grief on the show - so be it, perhaps she will evolve personally.

Seems to me her kids have already been exposed to worse than a kiss in a parade during a Broadway song.

Sigh, Meghan once again sucked all the air out of the room during the first segment. All she had to say was "we had a quiet Thanksgiving." But the strong, tough chick couldn't do that.

Edited by maggiemae
grief vs flake
  • Love 15
37 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Good God I kiss my gal pals the same way....get over yourself Sunny.

As annoyed as some of you guys are with Sunny, your collective hairs would be on fire with what Sherry and Elizabeth used to say. Elizabeth compared  gay marriage to somebody marrying their own toaster. Sherry was an ignorant simpleton who struggled with the reality of same sex relationships. I never held it against her because she was never dangerous with her rhetoric like Elizabeth.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

Wait, didn't Meghan say she never even considered changing her name, personally or professionally? (I may be mis-remembering.)

Her Twitter bio says this:

Co-host of @TheView. @ABCPolitics analyst. Blonde Republican. Rabble rouser. Ice queen. Mrs. Domenech. #FuckCancer 

Well, to be correct , it should say "The second Mrs. Domenech". 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, njbchlover said:

There are times when you have to put on your big girl panties and stop acting like the world revolves around you and your feelings - learn how to behave professionally, if only for appearance's sake.  

Yes.

6 hours ago, suomi said:

I'm in a good mood so this reminded me of: The officer said "You're staggering." I said "Well, thank you. You're quite handsome yourself." We just laughed and laughed. I need bail money.

LOL. Carry on.

See line of emoticons above - I can't seem to do them or don't know how to.

6 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I have yet to watch a talk show today where Thanksgiving hasn't been mentioned.  Meghan really thought they weren't going to talk about it?  Why?  Just because she didn't want to talk about it?

Thanksgiving is the only holiday that is not about religion and she ruined it.

6 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Sunny's holier-than-thou attitude about these things really bugs me.

Whether it was being squeemish about hetero or homo sex nothing compares to her stories of "christening every room in her house" and other tales of sex with her husband.  Can imagine her kids asking, "Not the table right?  Not this couch I lay on when sick right?"

5 hours ago, SuzieSioux said:

Good on Meghan for speaking up against any backlash to the kiss, I will say that. She spoke well there.

Yes, kudos on that point.  I will say she does promote supportive stances on that front.  Bold is because I forget to say something nice on that topic concerning her.

21 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Well, to be correct , it should say "The second Mrs. Domenech". 

Oh snap!  (Imagine a roflmao emoticon)

• Love 5