Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Insult to Injury

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I think that Caroline is quite old enough to take responsibility for her own actions. Her shit can't be blamed on others. She's a big (thirsty) girl. 

I hold Kate, Chandler, Rylee and the rest of the crew responsible for their fails. Kate should not have pulled the loud music, Chandler should not have blamed his deck crew for all of the screw ups, Rylee should control herself within hearing distance of charter guests.

Whoever is responsible for the man overboard, is, well, responsible for the man overboard.

Caroline needs to grow up and be accountable for her own self. Seems as if it's not the just crew that have problems with her. Her own family is troubled by her. If everyone around you is the asshole, well, chances are probable that you are the asshole.

• Love 19

Caroline can get herself off social media - that would be satisfying. And some help. I don't want anything bad to happen to her - ultimately I find it sad that she's coming off the way she is - and if she genuinely has mental and emotional problems, she can't see she needs help - which is even more sad. Layer on, she seemingly has nobody who will stop her twitter ranting (admittedly she may have close friends who do not follow her twitter - BUT - if she's that manic on twitter, she has to be saying some stuff in real life).  In the Caroline thread it appears she has made her twitter private - or someone did for her - that's a first step. Then again she may be preaching to her choir of followers who support her, and thus, encourage more manic behavior.  I hope she gets the help she clearly needs. I suspect she'll continue to tweet and comment on episodes even tho she's no longer on the show and apparently won't be appearing at the reunion. She'll be like Adrienne of season one (not Chef Adrian ;) ) - the original chief stew - or chief shrew... who STILL comments on the show this many years later (as tho she's still appearing on the show)...

Edited by BodhiGurl
added a thought about chief shrew adrienne
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, BodhiGurl said:

Caroline can get herself off social media - that would be satisfying. And some help. I don't want anything bad to happen to her - ultimately I find it sad that she's coming off the way she is - and if she genuinely has mental and emotional problems, she can't see she needs help - which is even more sad. Layer on, she seemingly has nobody who will stop her twitter ranting (admittedly she may have close friends who do not follow her twitter - BUT - if she's that manic on twitter, she has to be saying some stuff in real life).  In the Caroline thread it appears she has made her twitter private - or someone did for her - that's a first step. Then again she may be preaching to her choir of followers who support her, and thus, encourage more manic behavior.  I hope she gets the help she clearly needs. I suspect she'll continue to tweet and comment on episodes even tho she's no longer on the show and apparently won't be appearing at the reunion. She'll be like Adrienne of season one (not Chef Adrian ;) ) - the original chief stew - or chief shrew... who STILL comments on the show this many years later...

It is sad that she cannot accept the fact that she has any emotional or mental health issues.

She continues to respond to antagonistic people, and ignoring others who are begging her to take a break from social media. She needs more friends to point her in the right direction, that is to step away from the drama. I have seen a message from a good friend of hers on twitter (some guy named Rob) that says he tried to stop her, but to no avail. What else can be done to encourage her to walk away from this crap if she won't listen?

Take a page out of the book of Carole from New York housewives. Once you are done, you are done. Just stop! Find another purpose.

I can still see her latest tweets. She won't stop. I don't know how to post them here. If someone can show me how, I will repost them here.

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Love 6

It is often the case that someone with mental problems does not recognize that they are ill and refuse good advice and offers to help. There is not much you can do for someone like that.

Mercy has to do with you not them. 

Some people will kick a wounded dog out of sheer cussedness. Or stomp on a wounded bird. They will say they are putting it out of its misery.....but it is really because they are just cruel.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, langford peel said:

Some people will kick a wounded dog out of sheer cussedness. Or stomp on a wounded bird.

That right there is the problem. She is rejecting and ignoring the people who are trying to help her and paying attention to those who are kicking at her. She won't accept the help, but out of thirst will respond to antagonists. 

• Love 7

Some people will kick a wounded dog out of sheer cussedness. Or stomp on a wounded bird. 

I've pretty much just seen people here express concern for Caroline's current mental state in the past 24-48 hours. I hope you aren't implying that continuing to discuss her here is the equivalent of kicking a hurt dog, which I would take issue with.

Edited by bref
  • Love 11

Not at all. She is a character on a TV show after all. That means she is not a real person. 

I just don’t like a pile on and kicking someone when they are down. I have lot of empathy for her.  I just don’t get the appeal of smacking around someone who is so obviously troubled. But your mileage may vary.

• Love 2

Who is smacking her around and how are you defining that? Do you think she is reading the comments here? If so, does she have some responsibility for that?

Seems like a lot of people have expressed empathy, as was my point. 

Your first sentence defines passive-aggressive, btw. 

Edited by bref
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, langford peel said:

It is often the case that someone with mental problems does not recognize that they are ill and refuse good advice and offers to help. There is not much you can do for someone like that.

Some people will kick a wounded dog out of sheer cussedness. Or stomp on a wounded bird. They will say they are putting it out of its misery.....but it is really because they are just cruel.

2 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

That right there is the problem. She is rejecting and ignoring the people who are trying to help her and paying attention to those who are kicking at her. She won't accept the help, but out of thirst will respond to antagonists. 

Well, I'm on both sides of this one.  Kate and Josiah were/are bullies.  They were unnecessarily cruel to an easy target.

Caroline, for her part, is weak and whiny and she stunk at the job.  The one smart thing she did was leave when she did.  Better for all involved.

All 3 lack self-awareness of their role in this thing and it ALWAYS takes two to tango.  They should all just shut up about it, take a deep breath and be happy its over and they can start fresh somewhere else.

Same goes for Rhylee and Chandler.  It has been an absolute crazy clusterfuck of a season.  Next week it just continues with Ross and Rhylee hooking up (gross) and Ashton going overboard.   Everything is just OFF about this season.

Chandler got such a dangerously bad edit that I worry for his career.  I think he'll be redeemed a little because it will be clear that the continued craziness wasn't just him but rather a horrible misalignment of stars that just never stopped - with or without him.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3

I'm not sure anyone (save for maybe some close friends & family) were aware of her "issues"  before this weekend.  I also don't see anyone from the cast going at her on twitter even though she continues to spew countless accusations at them.  Now that's mercy, IMHO.

Talking about her on a site specifically created for such such discussion is not bullying.  I do wish the twitter universe would ignore her, but if she continues to engage with people, that's unfortunately on her.

• Love 15

I had to go on twitter to see the posts, but they were gone. Instead I saw a Kate tweet video of her dog playing with her beauty blender 😂 my little guy thinks my beauty blenders are his own fun size Nerf balls too. 

• Love 5

Saw after show for this episode on Youtube.

Ashton was pissed that Rhylee was gloating about Chandler being fired when he says she should have been fired, if anyone.

Rhylee said she was happy Chandler was fired but she was perfectly stoic when she got the news.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

Watching the episode puts me 6 pages behind, so....I won't try to keep pace with all the great comments you guys have made,

It is surprising to me there is a fair amount of love for Caroline.  To me he was clearly nuts, anxiety-laden and even overwhelmed at times.  That's fine and she gets sympathy to the degree that she should not have taken the job.  But her post-filming drama and obsession is misplaced.  To make HR claims?  No.  And people debating proper workplace procedures....let's start with that she was an ACTOR.  She signed a contract and in that undoubtedly signed away a lot of rights.  Consider just one, that she is filmed in her underwear everyday!

I looked up some reality tv contract details, and here is pertinent details

https://jipel.law.nyu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/NYU_JIPEL_Vol-3-No-1_4_Riley_SigningInGliltterOrBlood.pdf

In a case settled in 2012, there was even an actor who alleged she was raped on a show, and the same law article mentions she was unlikely to be able to continue her suit against MTV/Viacom and win successfully etc.

There was also a leaked (court-provided) 'housewives' contract and the following article details what the actors give away

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/12/real-housewives-orange-county-contract-reality-tv/

the contract, link

https://radaronline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/contractwife.pdf

and has 41 other terms.

My conclusion is she is self-deluded.  She was not working on a yacht, she was working as an actress on a reality tv show and she confused these two roles.

I have a friend who was close to signing a contract to be a "Real Housewife".  Ultimately she decided not to do it because her husband and children didn't want her to, but she did get as far as seeing the contract, and it did- as you said - require that pretty much all rights be relinquished.  I'm sure other reality show contracts are similar, and anyone who doesn't go into it with eyes wide open is foolish.  I was astounded that my friend would even consider signing a contract with those kind of terms because it basically said that they could do whatever they wanted, portray her in whatever way, edit however they saw fit, etc. without her having any recourse.

My problem with Caroline - and I honestly don't know what to think now because she does seem to have some serious issues - was that she outright lied and misrepresented the entire time she was on the boat.  I always thought she was paranoid, but I didn't think she was delusional to the point that she couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't.  I thought she was a liar, someone who would lie about people and what they said and did simply to portray herself as a victim, and I still think so.  I have no level of tolerance for people who do that, and it's why I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for her now.   (She also doesn't seem to be a nice person - not on the show, where she routinely snapped at people, and not now.)  She needs help, in some way or another.  And I hope she gets it because things seem to be getting worse with her, not better.

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, langford peel said:

I wonder what has to happen to Caroline to satisfy some people.

She needs to get out of the public eye for her own health and safety.

I'm sure no one wants to see anything happen to her.  Certainly there would be no satisfaction in that.  It's just kind of interesting that she acted kind of loopy on the show, and since then has been very publicly spiraling out of control, often wildly.  So it's certainly understandable that people who watched this show would be talking about her tweets, etc, because we were somewhat invested in Boat Caroline and we're now seeing what's apparently Real-Life Caroline or After-Below-Deck Caroline, and it's taken on a life of its own.

Yes, she needs to get help.  And many posters here have said exactly that.  Many people on Twitter have told her the same thing, often suggested very kindly, even though she rants and raves at them.  No one wants to see anything happen to her.  That's not the point of any of these discussions at all.

• Love 16
On 11/30/2018 at 6:50 PM, TwopLurker said:

I don’t know what Caroline and Rocky are hoping to get out of calling Kate an alcoholic. Someone isn’t a bad person (Carthago delenda est!) for drinking too much. In fact, most people who are in a service industry are living a lifestyle that involves overindulgence in one thing or another.

Its my experience that when someone is calling another person out for being an alcoholic publicly it's usually motivated by vindictiveness and not any sort of actual concern; also, the person is almost never an actual alcoholic.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:15 AM, HunterHunted said:

Reality TV personalities seem to often be cut from the same ignorant self-absorbed cloth.

Who are also light on how analogies, euphemisms, similes and other rhetorical devices work.

• Love 8

Actually, given the non-existant longevity of reality "stars"*, I'd say the self-absorbed cloth is more of a cheap paper towel!

*  Does anyone else remember when calling someone a star really meant something, as with Elizabeth Taylor, or Clark Gable?  The word recognized the luminescence of people who had careers lasting more than three or four episodes on reality TV. I really hate seeing the word so devalued.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 7

I wonder if the meds Caroline was taking for her foot and then her sinus infection interfered with her regular medication?  She was completely paranoid for most of the season.  It didn't help that Josiah and Kate were roommates and naturally worked well together.  Caroline did have to bunk with Rhylee, who was immensely unhappy and probably fueled some of Caroline's paranoia.  As for how she left,  she gives notice right before everyone is set to go out for the night.  She tells Kate and Josiah in front of everyone (except Rhylee and Lee) that Kate and Josiah are terrible people to work with.  The next morning when she doesn't show up for work so Josiah checks on her and she states she's no longer working there.  Kate tries to talk with her but is locked out.  Caroline should've talked to Lee, Kate should've talked to Lee, but instead, seeing all the work that lay ahead to get ready for the next charter, Kate demands that Caroline leave the boat.  ???? Should she have blasted music? No.  Should Caroline have locked her door? No.  I do think its interesting that Lee thought about firing Kate, but didn't because they'd be too shorthanded.  Caroline makes things up, but not everything...

Rhylee won't be happy until she's Captain, which, for her, isn't going to happen on this season.  Also, what is Ross thinking, finding her attractive?  What?!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I wonder if the meds Caroline was taking for her foot and then her sinus infection interfered with her regular medication?

What's the excuse for how crazy she's acting now?  She's losing her shit on Twitter and has been for weeks.

11 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I do think its interesting that Lee thought about firing Kate, but didn't because they'd be too shorthanded. 

When was this said?  I totally missed it.

• Love 5

Wow.  Just saw this episode.  

Now I've not seen all the prior episodes, but I have read some recaps.  It seems like Caroline was either sick or injured, and rarely pulled her own weight.   She clearly has issues.  I've never seen Kate treat someone on her crew with kid gloves like she did with Caroline.

While blasting the music was totally unprofessional, I kind of get it.  You're tired, been busting your ass for days/weeks, and this person who hasn't done a thing is now leaving - bad mouths you when she was all sweet as pie hours ago.  Then she says basically, fuck you, you do the work, I'm going to sleep - again.  Totally get it.  There's always a lump on every work team, whom everyone else has to drag along.  If they fuck up royally, then everyone pays for it, even though you may babysit them or follow up behind them to mitigate any mistakes.  If the team does well, then the lump gets all the 'spoils', too.  At some point, you do say - wait a minute - what the holy hell!  

Then she blatantly lied to the captain.  She did not say she was ill that morning as her excuse for not working.  She just said she wasn't working (along with the talking head of how she had the nightmare about Kate and Josiah - so she wasn't working or being near them).  I didn't see any bullying other than the loud music and telling her to get out.  Again, they seemed to tip toe around her.  Kate had even said, good job with the laundry  (I think on the prior episode) to her.  I've never heard Kate give someone a complement for doing the laundry  - ever.   

Caroline just needs to leave this alone and get some help.  The people who are basically egging her on via social media are not true friends nor do they have her best interest at heart.  She needs to get off of SM, forget this show, rest and get help.   I don't understand why she's going after the Captain.  He seemed to always be polite to her at the very least.  Sensing she's a narcissist or has those tendencies (I have some in my family so I can see the similar actions).  She may also be bipolar since she seemed to switch up moods pretty quickly. 

Wouldn't she had taken or noted any prescriptions she was current taking as she got medication for her foot or sinus infection?  Doctors always ask me so as not to have a reaction or cause something else to flare up.

• Love 3