Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Hawke

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Nolan and the team must help capture a cop and his former mentor from the academy after he becomes a fugitive following an assault. Meanwhile, Officer Tim Bradford needs Officer Lucy Chen to learn to predict the moves of criminals in order to capture them.

I understand Hawke wasn't acting right with the bad decision to drive to the mall (of all places) but Logan was acting a little goofy too! They are locked in the store and he's yelling to his father "we have to go". Exactly where to Logan? You are trapped in a closed store with police around! Also, what made him think his father is safer with him? 

At least we didn't get a White Bronco type chase on the freeway.

The wife could have used better judgement and not have the new boyfriend around before the divorce. Son could have been watching all the drama from his grandma's house.

Good payback by Chen taking Bradford's money!

Would liked to have known what led to Chen overturning the car. The car slid a good distance. How fast was she driving?

Going from the Hawke situation to the B story in the hospital was a let down.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Also, what made him think his father is safer with him? 

I agree with him.  We've already seen that they won't ram a car with him in it and they're not going to shoot at his father with him there.

The mother is really in for it, though.  Logan heard that his mother had a naked man in her bedroom wearing Hawke's slippers(?) while Logan's on a sleepover and Hawke had been forced to move out.  He's certainly going to blame her for his father being in jail.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I agree with him.  We've already seen that they won't ram a car with him in it and they're not going to shoot at his father with him there.

They didn't need to ram or shoot, Hawke was begging to crash driving like a lunatic. 

15 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Logan heard that his mother had a naked man in her bedroom wearing Hawke's slippers(?)

Total disrespect! Too bad Hawke's in jail, he should get custody just for that.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Would liked to have known what led to Chen overturning the car. The car slid a good distance. How fast was she driving?

Going from the Hawke situation to the B story in the hospital was a let down

Also, in the literal blink of an eye, Hawke and son go from a hot-on-their-tail car chase to escaping on foot into the mall. Seriously? I hate to throw the editors under the bus, but the fun upside-down car scene should have been cut for time (and maybe some of the car chase) so the transition to the mall foot chase and the other father-son plot could be more elegantly integrated into the whole.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Also, in the literal blink of an eye, Hawke and son go from a hot-on-their-tail car chase to escaping on foot into the mall. Seriously? I hate to throw the editors under the bus, but the fun upside-down car scene should have been cut for time (and maybe some of the car chase) so the transition to the mall foot chase and the other father-son plot could be more elegantly integrated into the whole.

Please throw them under. Hope the bus driver put it in reverse.

Before Hawke gave them the slip for nth time, Nolan saw a sign for the mall and deduced they were going there. That should have been another fake out from Hawke.

With so many wrecked police cars, at what point does the captain/sergeant assigned these people to foot or bicycle patrol?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Please throw them under. Hope the bus driver put it in reverse.

Before Hawke gave them the slip for nth time, Nolan saw a sign for the mall and deduced they were going there. That should have been another fake out from Hawke.

With so many wrecked police cars, at what point does the captain/sergeant assigned these people to foot or bicycle patrol?

From one of the first couple of episodes, they have beater cars in the basement that they assign to officers who beat up their "shop" too much.

And yes, the editing was terrible last night.

Also, I enjoyed the actual chemistry between the captain and Nolan.  Please let the "Jucy" thing die.  Lucy belongs with her TO!

Edited by TWP
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TWP said:

Please let the "Jucy" thing die.  Lucy belongs with her TO!

Please no. If Lucy being w/ Nolan, a fellow boot, would negatively impact her job and how the other officers look at her, think what dating her T.O., a superior, would do. If they must pair her w/ someone, firefighter guy is the far better choice than either Nolan or T.O.

• Love 16

Jeremy Hawke = wants to be a supercop and to avenge his injured pride by going after his estranged wife's boyfriend. 

Jeremy Renner = played Hawkeye, an Avenger and superhero. Cute.

Decent episode.  I'm still not a fan of the actress that plays the female captain.  Nolan figuring out that the 911 call was fake reminded me of Castle being the one to figure out almost every time when things weren't what they seemed. Those were really the only two elements that bothered me, and not to a great extent. 

And big ups to Bishop coming in with the mace. It reminded me a bit of the Indiana Jones scene where he shoots the guy with the machete. I LOL'd. 

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And Chen with the taser. That bit was the episode's salvation.

I did like that bit. I also liked Lucy's pointed freakout earlier about "vile, nasty things" (or words to that effect). I thought her snagging his cash and credit cards was a nifty turnabout, if not karma itself. I don't like that Bradford still treats being Chen's TO as a license to demean her. Both Bradford and Sgt. Grey strike me as unprofessional dickheads, bordering on behaviour that should earn them professional censure.

Shawn Christian was marginally better than I expected, but I still didn't buy him as the idol of the academy. (Or maybe he liked Nolan because Nolan was a fanboy?)

Sarge remains my least favourite character by a substantial margin: Does Richard T. Jones always seem so bored and put-upon, or is this a specific acting choice he's making? Either way, the Sarge is a not stern leader with hidden sterling qualities (which is what I presume the show is going for); he's just a big bald-headed dick.

4 hours ago, TWP said:

Please let the "Jucy" thing die.  Lucy belongs with her TO!

Wow -- I have to say, one thing I do NOT want to see is Chen developing a romantic attachment to Bradford. That seems like the kind of thing that really would follow her for the rest of her career.

• Love 11

I like the story about Hawke but didn't like the one about the hospital part. 

I do feel bad for the mom though, she will be blamed for everything. 

I liked the ending though as to when they got Hawke at the end. 

Wish they had said how Chen messed up the car like that. 

Chen was funny when she got Bradford's money. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Waterston Fan said:

I like the story about Hawke but didn't like the one about the hospital part. 

This! It felt tacked on and underdeveloped. And Jackson was very dismissive of the kid. His "better" solution was "You could have run away (from home)." I mean, yes, this arguably would have been better than attempting to shoot his father, but the way he said it made it sound like being a runaway was not bad at all...

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

Does Richard T. Jones always seem so bored and put-upon, or is this a specific acting choice he's making?

The only other thing I ever watched him in was Brooklyn South, many, many moons ago. (It was a great series, though, if anyone is looking for a better cop show than this to binge watch...) He was kind of reserved and put-upon in that, too, but he could also be pretty funny (in a dry kind of way) and his character (a young beat cop) had a certain amount of layers. I think the writing is mostly to blame here rather than Jones. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

The only other thing I ever watched him in was Brooklyn South, many, many moons ago. (It was a great series, though, if anyone is looking for a better cop show than this to binge watch...) He was kind of reserved and put-upon in that, too, but he could also be pretty funny (in a dry kind of way) and his character (a young beat cop) had a certain amount of layers. I think the writing is mostly to blame here rather than Jones. 

I agree that I think it’s the writing. I remember watching him in “Judging Amy” and always enjoyed him in that. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

This! It felt tacked on and underdeveloped. And Jackson was very dismissive of the kid. His "better" solution was "You could have run away (from home)." I mean, yes, this arguably would have been better than attempting to shoot his father, but the way he said it made it sound like being a runaway was not bad at all...

The kid's solution was to kill his father. I think running away was a better option, he probably could have gone to live with his boyfriend. Now his boyfriend is also arrested for attempted murder. The kid might also be arrested for attempted murder. Running away seems like a much happier option, it is not like he was too young to make it on his own.

• Love 4

Like I said, yes, it was better than murder, but unless I missed something, we-- and Jackson-- had no information about the kid's situation, whether living with the bf was an option, whether he could conceivably support himself on his own, etc. Did they mention how old the kid was? Presumably in high school? Running away is a really tough option to offer to someone as "this is what you should have done." To me, Jackson came off as sanctimonious and not helpful.

Although presumably if the kid had succeeded in killing his father he would have been on his own anyway, so clearly that was a stupid plan, too.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

The kid's solution was to kill his father. I think running away was a better option, he probably could have gone to live with his boyfriend. Now his boyfriend is also arrested for attempted murder. The kid might also be arrested for attempted murder. Running away seems like a much happier option, it is not like he was too young to make it on his own.

Didn’t Jackson say he could have told someone or left the home? With telling someone the first thing he mentioned. Did he even actually say “run away”? 

I thought he said "run away," but I could be mistaken in the phrasing. Yes, he did give the option of talking to someone first, but it was all said in the same breath, basically, and it just rubbed me the wrong way the way he said it, like he was ignoring what the boy was actually going through. He seemed very dismissive to me. Clearly I am reading too much into this, as it didn't bother anyone else!

In general I will say the writing for this episode seemed sub-par and leave it at that.

I did enjoy Chen and Bradford, particularly her lifting his money clip in the end. He looked both panicked and proud of her! 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I did enjoy Chen and Bradford, particularly her lifting his money clip in the end. He looked both panicked and proud of her! 

And it was flirty.  I think they'll end up together.  And by the time it happens, we'll all clap for it.

• Love 1

They are locked in the store and he's yelling to his father "we have to go". Exactly where to Logan? You are trapped in a closed store with police around!

Mall stores have back doors that lead to passages behind the store. The passages are used for deliveries while the shop is open.

Apparently, this is a problem at the West Edmonton Mall, where squatters have been living for years.

wearing Hawke's slippers(?)

The naked part ? Or the slippers?
And what kind of guy wears someone else’ slippers. Ew.

His "better" solution was "You could have run away (from home)."
How old was the kid? He seemed to be in his twenties, but everyone over 16 and under 36 looks 20something to me. Or was he a Hollywood teen of 25?

There was a passing remark (from Talia?) about someone (Hawke?) liking Nolan because he remembered when the force was 90% white and male. Implying that Nolan should check his privilege.

• Love 4

Maybe my least favorite episode so far.  I'm just usually not a big fan of rogue mentor episodes.

I did the exchange between the Captain and Nolan at the end, that she noted he put in a whole lot of work to make his life change.  True that a lot of people might want that change but many don't make it because they don't put in the huge amount of work and determination needed.

Also interesting to me that Nolan as an older white dude found a mentor at the Academy, whereas a younger black woman like Bishop didn't seem to find that there. Don't know how true this is in their profession though. 

Another interesting tidbit that the Sergeant & the Captain (is she newly promoted?) haven't been working together that long, and that the Captain had a problematic ex who will probably show up sometime in the future.  I think the writers have done a fairly good job of sprinkling in tidbits of personal info about the various characters in only a handful of episodes.  We sure know those shows that will go on for seasons without learning anything about supporting characters. ;)

Nolan & the Captain do have good chemistry (though I never thought Nolan & Chen was that deficient), but I doubt they are going to go there because the writers already made their bed with Nolan & Chen so to speak, and also the professional barriers would be there.  If they wanted to keep their options open in the beginning they could have done that, but they made their pick then.

On 11/28/2018 at 12:55 PM, mxc90 said:

I hope you're kidding because they were already separated at that point, and in any case, any partner who commits assault and brandishes a weapon should automatically lose custody imo. It's inexcusable behavior no matter the provocation. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, jaimesommers said:

I remember watching him in “Judging Amy” and always enjoyed him in that. 

See, I never did. Judging Amy is the only other thing I know him from, and his sergeant here doesn't seem all that different to me from his court clerk there. Ah, well.

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

See, I never did. Judging Amy is the only other thing I know him from, and his sergeant here doesn't seem all that different to me from his court clerk there. Ah, well.

I remember him from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, where he also played a put-upon cop. We did learn that he had a heart, and I'm pretty sure that will happen here as well. Still, not too different a character than he's playing now.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, madmaverick said:

I hope you're kidding because they were already separated at that point, and in any case, any partner who commits assault and brandishes a weapon should automatically lose custody imo. It's inexcusable behavior no matter the provocation. 

I wasn't kidding! He should get custody of his slippers! No other man should wear them! Of course stay away from his son. Who in their right mind would think otherwise? 😉

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, mxc90 said:
13 hours ago, madmaverick said:

I wasn't kidding! He should get custody of his slippers! No other man should wear them! Of course stay away from his son. Who in their right mind would think otherwise? 😉

Heh. Yeah. I doubt custody has ever been awarded to Parent A because Parent B let their lover wear Parent A's slippers. But my ex never owned or wore slippers, so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

And I know even less about weapons/guns. My father learned how to bake cookies and apple pie in the Army in WWII. He didn't carry a gun.

Wait. Hawke's wife's lover was naked in bed with her and wearing slippers? Hrmph. Does that qualify as naked?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Jackson-- had no information about the kid's situation, whether living with the bf was an option, whether he could conceivably support himself on his own, etc. Did they mention how old the kid was? Presumably in high school? Running away is a really tough option to offer to someone as "this is what you should have done." To me, Jackson came off as sanctimonious and not helpful

I think pretty much any other option is better than trying to murder the father regardless of the kid's situation.

• Love 6
On 11/28/2018 at 12:25 PM, newyawk said:

And big ups to Bishop coming in with the mace. It reminded me a bit of the Indiana Jones scene where he shoots the guy with the machete. I LOL'd. 

Mr. Wimey and I were annoyed by the fisticuffs which we knew were feeding the ego of Hawke. When Bishop said HEY and shot him with the mace, we both laughed and I started clapping so hard I hurt my hands!

• Love 9
23 hours ago, Evagirl said:

I think of Jim Caviezel every time I look at the male T.O.  Am I alone with this vision?

This! It didn't occur to me until you mentioned it, but there is a strong resemblance. The coloring is different, but around the eyes and mouth there is definitely something there. No wonder I think Bradford is kind of hot :-)

I'm not sure how literally we were supposed to take Hawke's remarks that his wife's boyfriend was naked and wearing Hawke's slippers. But in Hawke's mind, he was trespassing into Hawke's domestic role, and Hawke responded violently. 

I didn't care much for this episode. Hawke, while fairly well-acted, seemed cartoonish to me. And the episode emphasized the timeline/pacing problems of the series: everything is happening too fast. The story would hit the emotional notes it wanted better if Hawke was someone Nolan knew well, several years ago. But Nolan has only been on the job for a little over a month, and the LAPD police academy is only 6 months long. So the entirety of Nolan's relationship with Hawke has taken place within the last year. 

I did enjoy the interactions between Bradford and Chen. He seems to have progressed beyond merely torturing her to actually teaching her -- though if that teaching involves gross stuff, all the better! And she is striking back, not because she hates him, but because she is starting to see him as a colleague rather than simply her demon-taskmaster. I think these two have better chemistry than Chen had with Nolan, but don't want to see them romantically paired. If dating a fellow rookie is bad for Chen's career, dating a T.O. would be worse. And his romantic life is "complicated", to put it mildly.

• Love 3
On 11/28/2018 at 3:19 PM, shapeshifter said:

And Chen with the taser. That bit was the episode's salvation.

I loved it, but, she got the wires a little close to Bradford's face. Maybe it was the camera angle. Got my attention. 

On 11/30/2018 at 2:02 PM, Evagirl said:

I think of Jim Caviezel every time I look at the male T.O.  Am I alone with this vision?

I'm there with you. I also see Anson Mount.

Oh my.

gettyimages-827062616-612x612.jpg

God, I remember Anson Mount from the ill-fated 2006 version of the TV show, Conviction (set in the L&O universe with the SVU character, Alexandra Cabot!). Looking at that picture, he seems to have aged quite well.  :-)

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

God, I remember Anson Mount from the ill-fated 2006 version of the TV show, Conviction (set in the L&O universe with the SVU character, Alexandra Cabot!). Looking at that picture, he seems to have aged quite well.  :-)

Did you ever watch Hell on Wheels? I am ashamed to admit that apparently I like them rough. 

hell_on_wheels_anson_mount_cullen_bohannan_103908_2048x2048.jpg

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Reality police said:

Did you ever watch Hell on Wheels? I am ashamed to admit that apparently I like them rough. 

hell_on_wheels_anson_mount_cullen_bohannan_103908_2048x2048.jpg

No, I never did. Wouldn't have recognized him here! The photo above yours looks more like I remember him (which makes sense since he played a lawyer).

• Love 1
On 11/28/2018 at 8:32 AM, threebluestars said:

I got the impression the son said he was safer with him because he thought the cops wouldn't shoot his dad if he was there.

Yes, the son said that after Hawke handcuffed him in the store and fled through the employee's access.

On 11/28/2018 at 5:49 PM, BlakesMomma said:

Didn’t Jackson say he could have told someone or left the home? With telling someone the first thing he mentioned. Did he even actually say “run away”? 

I don't think he said that, I think he said "leave" or something like that.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:26 PM, femmefan1946 said:

His "better" solution was "You could have run away (from home)."

How old was the kid? He seemed to be in his twenties, but everyone over 16 and under 36 looks 20something to me. Or was he a Hollywood teen of 25?

He looked older, but the cops said they'd like to interview the kid with his father there - if the father could shut up. Which implies he might have been underage. It was hard to tell, though.

It may not have been the best episode, but it kept me engaged enough that I got through my exercise without noticing the passage of time. That's a thumbs up for me. :)

• Love 2
On 12/4/2018 at 7:11 PM, WendyCR72 said:

He's going to be Captain Pike on Star Trek Discovery soon :-)

• Love 1
On 11/30/2018 at 11:02 AM, Evagirl said:

Every time I see him I can only think of him in his stupid alien outfit on Days of Our Lives from 20 years ago.  I wish I could find a good picture, but this is the best I can do

image.thumb.png.43a22ff645c315106a34086ea7de80b5.png

14 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Every time I see him I can only think of him in his stupid alien outfit on Days of Our Lives from 20 years ago.  I wish I could find a good picture, but this is the best I can do

image.thumb.png.43a22ff645c315106a34086ea7de80b5.png

Ironically, that character is back on Days, albeit under another actor. (The replacement actor himself had left the show about a good decade ago, after playing another character. And the recast of his first character is still there, so it's all surreal.)