Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity Wife Swap - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I only saw 5 minutes of this episode and it was with Andy Dick--you mean he's now with the "Sober House" girl?  And they are living in his former girlfriend's house?  Wow, sleazy is just the tip of that iceberg!

• Love 2

It wasn't really spelled out.  They referred to the mother of his children as his wife, but when I googled it it seems they are not married.  She lives in the house with the children.  Andy was living in his trailer in the driveway.  His girlfriend (not the mother) visits and stays over in the driveway and they enter the house together and interact with the family.  But it's not clear that Andy and the mother are not still together also.  During the swap one of the changes the other wife made was to have Andy move into the house and act like a real dad.  He's apparently going to continue living in the house post swap.  

So bottom line is that either these kids are going to very laid back and calm about things or they are going to have no idea how to live in the world.  

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I know I haven't written the topic title as I'm supposed to, can't figure out exactly how to do it on my iPhone. Mods, can you please forgive and help a sister out? Humblest thanks.

I just happened to see that they were replaying this episode from sometime in 2013. Being a Joan Ranger, I punched up record and watched it later.

Of course, we can call shenanigans on any number of things in the episode, but what came through so strongly was not only the awful, too early loss of Ms. Rivers, but how well she and her daughter are/were raising Cooper.

And as feckless as the Palin sisters seem to be about a lot of things, they were truly touched, I think, by the others. In turn, Joan and Melissa genuinely seemed to have developed an affection and appreciation for the two young women.

I clucked disapprovingly, I laughed, I cried. Never in my lifetime would I have thought I would get such honest emotions from a show called "Celebrity Wife Swap," but I did. Kudos to the producers for not mucking it up too much with contrived drama, etc.

It really turned out to be a pretty great memorial to Joan Rivers as a mom and grandmother. Well done, show.

• Love 3

They play this episode often (as with all their reruns) and this one is my absolute favorite.  I loved it when Joan was alive, I cherish it even more now that she's not here with us.  I've never really been a Palin-hater, but not a superfan either. But it just melted my heart to see the bonding that went on.  I had a bad taste in my mouth with Melissa after Celebrity Apprentice. I adored Melissa in this episode, and turned into a fan of hers. I adore Cooper, what a sweet boy.  One of my favorite scenes was Joan fishing in jeans!

• Love 3

I'm totally confused.  There have already been 8 seasons of this?  I thought there have only been 3 so far.

Season 1

1.Tracey Gold and Carnie Wilson
2.Gary Busey and Ted Haggard
3.Dee Snider and Flavor Flav
4.Niecy Nash and Tina Yothers
5.Antonio Sabato, Jr and Mick Foley

Season 2

1.Kate Gosselin and Kendra Wilkinson
2.Coolio and Mark McGrath
3.Alan Thicke and Gilbert Gottfried
4.Bristol and Willow Palin and Joan and Melissa Rivers
5.Ric Flair and Roddy Piper
6.Nia Peeples and Tiffany
7.Andy Dick and Lorenzo Lamas
8.Downtown Julie Brown and Lisa Leslie
9.Gerardo and Sisqó

Season 3
1.Daniel Baldwin and Jermaine Jackson
2.Tichina Arnold and Kelly Packard
3.Robin Leach and Eric Roberts
4.Laila Ali and Angie Stone
5.Angie Everhart and Gina Neely
6.Larry Birkhead and Helio Castroneves
7.David Justice and Dweezil Zappa
8.Amanda Beard and Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt
9.Judy Gold and Penn Jillette
10.Joe Piscopo and Barry Williams
11.Jenna Von Oy and Jill Zarin
12.Tyler Christopher and Ronn Moss
13.Plaxico Burress and DJ Paul

Any news on whether (or not) there will be a new season?  And, if so, when it will air?

I'm totally confused. There have already been 8 seasons of this? I thought there have only been 3 so far.

Any news on whether (or not) there will be a new season? And, if so, when it will air?

Fixed!

My cable company changed it's channel lineup on us and I can't remember what station this show came on. I need to set it up to record when it starts again! Can someone help me? Was it ABC?

It airs on ABC. I haven't seen anything about season 4 yet, but I also haven't heard anything about cancellation.
  • Love 1

I'm totally confused.  There have already been 8 seasons of this?  I thought there have only been 3 so far.

It's eight if you count it in the same sequence as the original non-celebrity Wife Swap show.  It's three if you count Celebrity Wife Swap as it's own thing.

BTW: I've been trying to cherry pick a particular moment from this show for that King of The Mountain thing, but can't isolate specific moments.  I mean there are plenty of memorable EPISODES, but specific moments aren't coming to me.

I'd figure with Andy Dick/Lorenzo Lamas, Joe Piscopo/Barry Williams, Gary Busey/Ted Haggard,Joan Rivers/Bristol Palin, Gilbert Gottfried/Alan Thicke,... somewhere in one of those, the sense of has-been reality show desperation should have left some singular great moments.

Wow. I had no idea how toxic Carnie Wilson's aggressive narcissism is. I realize the poor thing is probably a little feral, given the situation she was raised in, but damn, lady, you have more staff than you have family members. Just pretend it's not all about you and let the freaking kids have some structure. It's not as if anyone expects you to provide it.

• Love 4

Was anyone else surprised at how normal Lorenzo Lamas is?

I just happened to catch this episode today. I can say the Lamas family seemed like a good couple. Andy Dick's wife seems great too. I was impressed with all 3 of them. I don't think they are all that different.

As for Andy Dick, he should be more involved with his family, but man I wanted them to say at the end he had his own place.

• Love 1

Just learned Rowdy Roddy Piper died. His Wife Swap with Rick Flair was one of my favorites. It was interesting to see two friends and former colleagues with two such different lifestyles make the switch.

• Love 2

I just saw the Rivers/Palin episode. Joan wassuch a kind and gracious lady and she raised a kind and gracious daughter  who is raising a kind and gracious son. The Palins were rude and childish women raising an out of control brat and proud of it.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/28/2016 at 5:14 PM, Willowsmom said:

I just saw the Rivers/Palin episode. Joan wassuch a kind and gracious lady and she raised a kind and gracious daughter  who is raising a kind and gracious son. The Palins were rude and childish women raising an out of control brat and proud of it.

I am probably as little a Palin fan as anyone out there, but I thought that Rivers was out of line letting her friends trash her guest's mom with cameras rolling. Melissa handled herself well under trying circumstances.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Oh Boy, I was happy so see that Mimi left Coolio within the 6 weeks after the episode aired because I found even I was getting depressed about living with Coolio and I am the armchair expert! Mimi must have felt so alone, unappreciated and truly unloved after her experience living with McGrath. Coolio strikes me as a man who is emotionally stunted and so preoccupied with 'appearing' cool that he forgets he is a 50 year old man who is so focused on what he did in the '90s that he shuts out everything/everyone currently in his life. Go9o9d on Mimi for taking action because it was so unhealthy for her kids to be raised in such a disrespectful environment. Mimi worked her butt off, 2 jobs and looking after the family (Coolio was like a 4th kid) and he couldn't get off his ass to even take them to school! Mimi had to get up after 4 hours of sleep to organize kids for school, while Coolio slept. Then Mimi had to clean the house from the mess Coolio and kids left the night before. WTF is up with this. Coolio didn't even appear to enjoy Mimi's kids (and sadly so because you could tell that all three kids were yearning for some kind of relationship.) He made it very clear that these weren't his kids - blood wise - even though the youngest NEEDED and WANTED Coolio to be his dad. In fact, my heart ached because all three of these kids were aching for some kind of relationship with Coolio and he had no interest in being there for them. They would have forgiven him ANY of his neglectful behaviours if he showed them any semblance of love. How tragic. Fortunately, the postscript said Mimi went back to school, still bartends, and left Coolio. YEAH Mama Mimi!!!

Mark was annoying in that he appeared to rub it in Karin's face that Mimi was an 'excellent mom' and Mimi got 'respect from the kids', as if implying that Karin is not confident, nor does she have a backbone. Karin would blossom as a mom if Mark gave her ANY credit but he doesn't. I am sure it doesn't help that her parents also take Mark's side and they also seemed tres impressed with mimi's approach. Luckily, Mimi's kids responded very well to Karin's low-key, loving approach and seemed to thrive under her 'parenting'. Coolio just froze her out and acted the fool, stating Karin didn't do anything, nor did he learn anything from the swap. What a narcissistic ass! Karin's so-called parenting problems are actually Mark's fault as he causes the kids' negative behaviours. He hovers and questions every move she makes which undermines her authority as well as depletes her confidence. He strikes me as the type of dad who will tell a child their time-out is over after 1 minute, despite the mom saying they have 3 minutes. However, the twins are Karin's only kids, and Mimi has three children ages 14 to 5, so Mimi has had the opportunity to make mistakes and learn what works and what doesn't through experience. I am sure if Mark and Karin had a third child, Karin would have a different approach. Karin AND Mark need to knock off the babying, take off the child-proof knobs (and diapers), while encouraging the kids to be more independent and respectful. Once again, the swap seemed unfair because Karin is a relatively new mom, while Mimi has experienced being a single parent so the disciplining tactics she employs far outweigh Karin's with regards to confidence and success. This was a really great experience for Karin and Mark and I hope when Mark is viewing the show, he sees how ADHD he appears, and that alone can wind up the kids. Mimi taught him that being chill and encouraging independent behaviour (while using a low-key voice) quickly settles the children and makes them want to succeed. Very cool episode (for shining the light on relationship cracks).

• Love 1
On 7/31/2015 at 9:51 PM, Cramps said:

Just learned Rowdy Roddy Piper died. His Wife Swap with Rick Flair was one of my favorites. It was interesting to see two friends and former colleagues with two such different lifestyles make the switch.

I just watched the rerun of Roddy and Ric's swap and Piper seemed so down to earth and normal. There he was, telling Ric Flair that he was very worried about him, but it appears it was Roddy's time to go. His wife and son/daughter must be devastated as they were all so close. (Meanwhile, I was surprised Ric Flair even remembered the names of his kids.)

On 6/28/2016 at 2:14 PM, Willowsmom said:

This was my first time seeing this episode and all I could think was how much Melissa and Cooper must miss Joan. Heck, I miss Joan Rivers. The Palin sisters, and Bristol's son Tripp, just showed how immature these girls are. I can't even call them women. Willow passed on an opportunity that Melissa created so she could get her first hairdressing credit and she responded like a 15 year old. Bristol was so self-conscious of being Sarah Palin's daughter that she perceived insults where none existed. i don't understand how Sarah Palin and her hubby raised 5 kids with such poor self-esteem.