Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: Thanksgiving and Taking

4 hours ago, Pink-n-Green said:

Based on the outside of her townhouse, I'd always assumed Murphy lives in Georgetown.  Definitely not a place where a taco truck with or without a cracked tail light would be welcome.  I could definitely imagine an irate homeowner complaining about that to the police.  

Agreed - I assumed Georgetown too. (Probably not the Kalorama area, where the Obamas now live, because there's more space between the houses there and the houses are bigger.) Very tony area, and I can imagine a homeowner calling the police about it. "My guests have nowhere to park!"

15 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

This!  I've been trying to figure out how to word my response to the "hate watching" post (I hate-watched Smash because it so deserved it!), so thanks for doing it so nicely!!  And thanks for your original post about this, too.  

For me, if I'm hate-watching a show, I don't actually hate it. There's something about it that I enjoy - even if it's not the show itself but the conversations I have with people about the show. (I watch a few shitty shows because one of my best friends and I have really funny conversations about them and the conversations are well worth the price of admission of watching the show.) If I genuinely do not like a show, I don't watch it - life is short and we are in an age of too much content so I can always find something else to watch. 

• Love 15

I guess I will be the lone fan to say I thought the plot turn was heavy-handed, maudlin and overly preachy. I loved everything up until that point. I totally agree with the sentiments,  and there's definitely a huge story to tell there, but I feel like they laid it on too thick.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

Murphy Brown has always been about sniping at the political regime.  It never pretended to be anything else.  Complaining about Murphy being too political suggests that the viewer doesn't understand the premise of the show.

Exactly. That's what it always was, a political satire, along with a side of drama.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Something about where it was raised and fed? Heritage something? I don’t think they actually said why she would spend so much on a turkey.

A heritage turkey!   Just found one for the incredible low price of $289.99 that will be 16 lb minimum just in time for everyone to order one for Christmas. 

https://www.dartagnan.com/heritage-turkey-narragansett-bourbon-red/product/FTUHE040-1.html 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Wanda said:

Hate watching should give enjoyment lol. There’s not a sense of enjoyment in posts complaining about the quality of Murphy Brown, or how politically whiny it is. My idea of hate watching is season 9 of HIMYM, or ANTM on VH1. Things you watch just for the ability to come here and join in with the forum discussions. Shows that I enjoy having on in the background, not anything that would make me question why a particular show exists.

Heh. It helps if I finish my thought, doesn't it? Note to self: posting after little sleep and lots of shopping isn't a good idea. 

When I do hate watching something, I don't always mention anything good about the show or anything that I enjoyed. Sometimes because it's already said before by someone else or sometimes because I just don't think about it. But if someone were to read some of those posts, they'd probably think that I downright hated something... when really, it's not the case. 

Again, I'm not hate watching this. I loved the original Murphy Brown run and I'm charmed by this one. I think I learned about feminism by watching Murphy (I was too young for the show but watched it anyway). Being on the other end of a misunderstanding like that, I just wanted to throw out another perspective. 

• Love 5

During one of the last seasons of the old Murphy Brown they had a Thanksgiving episode where Murphy and the gang tried to make a meal for the homeless at a shelter.  Of course it was a disaster and everyone left to go somewhere else to eat except for one homeless man.  It was a beautiful episode and really highlighted the plight of the homeless without being overly preachy.   It also highlighted the effects of alcoholism.  

This episode could have done the same but it didn't.  Several years ago I worked with a group that helped illegals to get asylum and also helped them to get their greencards.  Once some of them get here they're treated like slaves and have no protection at all.  Because they're illegal they can't just call the police if someone robs them or does something worse to their family.  They can't get decent healthcare because again, they're here illegally.  People never seem to think about those things.  I could go on but I won't. 

I am really trying to like this show because I loved it so much during it's first run.  The writing was sharp and the comedic timing was perfect.  This new version is absolutely nothing like the old version and it makes me sad.  

• Love 7
13 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

During one of the last seasons of the old Murphy Brown they had a Thanksgiving episode where Murphy and the gang tried to make a meal for the homeless at a shelter.  Of course it was a disaster and everyone left to go somewhere else to eat except for one homeless man.  It was a beautiful episode and really highlighted the plight of the homeless without being overly preachy.   It also highlighted the effects of alcoholism.  

This episode could have done the same but it didn't.  Several years ago I worked with a group that helped illegals to get asylum and also helped them to get their greencards.  Once some of them get here they're treated like slaves and have no protection at all.  Because they're illegal they can't just call the police if someone robs them or does something worse to their family.  They can't get decent healthcare because again, they're here illegally.  People never seem to think about those things.  I could go on but I won't. 

I am really trying to like this show because I loved it so much during it's first run.  The writing was sharp and the comedic timing was perfect.  This new version is absolutely nothing like the old version and it makes me sad.  

Well it certainly helped that the old show had less commercial breaks. They have to do stuff with only 19 minutes available, instead of 23 (thanks to friendperidot for correcting me on that), that the old show had. Sure the writing was better back then, but here's the thing, the writers were younger, and sure the timing may have been better, the actors were younger.

And there are some younger writers and actors on there now who are learning the ropes and are trying. I don't expect the show to be what it was then. Keeping that in mind, it doesn't have me feeling sad in the slightest. I'd feel sad if the show was complete trash, if the actors weren't trying and if they treated fans like dirt. That's the line in the sand for me.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
deleted paragraph that was struck through
  • Love 6

they had to do stuff with only 19 minutes available, instead of 30, that the old show had.

I don't think they've ever had 30 minutes to do a half hour show, I think I read a long time ago, it was about 23 minutes, but that's still more than they have now.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I don't think they've ever had 30 minutes to do a half hour show, I think I read a long time ago, it was about 23 minutes, but that's still more than they have now.

Good point, guess it was so good, that I forgot about the commercials. Yea, that little bit more time, gives them a bit more leeway.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 1

I’m always curious why people will watch shows they seem to hate so much. 

I don't know if a lot of people who "hate" the show are still watching. I'm disappointed in the reboot - that's not the same thing as hating it. I enjoyed the original run very much and so far this reboot has been a letdown to varying degrees. I still enjoy these characters and I still have hope it will improve but the writing is weak. You either overlook that, or you don't.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, UYI said:

Yeah, there are people who seem to come back here every week and keep saying how much they aren't enjoying it, and quite frankly, it makes coming here to talk to others who ARE enjoying the show draining as hell, because it can suck all the energy out of the forum for no reason whatsoever. Obviously there are things about your favorite shows that you're not always going to like, but when it genuinely seems like a person finds it to be a chore to watch this show each week, and yet they still go out of their way to say the same variation of "this show is unfunny and preachy" here every week, you kind of have to feel sorry for them, hoping they stop watching/just stop posting here and let the rest of us be already.

No, this show isn't perfect. It may not be quite up to the same standards as the glory years of the original series. But overall, I'm enjoying it, and I plan to watch until it ends its run. If for some reason I find that it's lacking enough that I feel like I need to stop watching it, I'll do just that, and I'll stop posting here. Simple as that.

I get the feeling that won't be happening, though, so see you next week. :) 

This happens on many, if not most of the forums here. It does make it very difficult sometimes and I had to give up going on some the show forums because the bulk of the posts are overwhelmingly negative, and usually just from a handful of posters. I stay far away from the Agents of Shield board because of that. On other boards I try to be a positive force, but I don't have any problem being snarky and pointing out issues with the show if warranted, lol.

Overall I've quite enjoyed this new season and I hope it gets an order for more shows. I do feel that they beat us over the head with the message at the end of this episode. It came across as clunky and preachy to me, but that doesn't change the fact that in general I am really enjoying this ride.

• Love 10
On 11/23/2018 at 12:51 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

Was it just me, or did it sound like the actor from the original run who would show up periodically as various unhelpful people? He was the deli guy who Jim had to teach how to make a sandwich, he was tending bar at one of the award ceremonies and would claim people hadn't ordered...

It honestly sounded like Ray Romano to me.

I'd briefly wondered why people weren't snacking on the sides and veggies while waiting for Turkeyzilla to cook, but then realized Murphy was in the kitchen with carving knives and understood how no one would want to risk it.

Phyllis rhetorically asking why a woman would cut off her cheating husband's thumb was the laugh of the night for me.

It was good to have Miguel's situation actually dealt with seriously rather than joked about in the manner of a Borscht Belt comedy routine—in some episodes he stopped just short of waving a rubber chicken around while saying waka-waka.

• Love 4

It honestly sounded like Ray Romano to me.

I thought it was Fred Stoller, who played Ray's cousin in Everybody Loves Raymond. I instantly saw his face when I heard that voice.

@iMonrey, I like sight jokes a lot, but network TV has to play to the lowest common denominator. I agree, it's a shame because it does detract somewhat from the humor. 

Anyone else wonder why, while they were starving, none of Murphy's guests ran out for a bite to the food truck? Maybe they could've gone one at a time and she wouldn't have noticed.

"Officer" Phyllis and her rainbow hair....pretty comical.

• Love 3

This was clunkier than last week's, and the first half was definitely a redux of Thanksgiving episodes from multiple sitcoms, though they did have a few amusing moments.  I liked seeing everyone in one place, which they hadn't done until this episode.  The ending did surprise and sadden me, so I think it was a twist well done.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

This happens on many, if not most of the forums here. It does make it very difficult sometimes and I had to give up going on some the show forums because the bulk of the posts are overwhelmingly negative, and usually just from a handful of posters. I stay far away from the Agents of Shield board because of that. On other boards I try to be a positive force, but I don't have any problem being snarky and pointing out issues with the show if warranted, lol.

Overall I've quite enjoyed this new season and I hope it gets an order for more shows. I do feel that they beat us over the head with the message at the end of this episode. It came across as clunky and preachy to me, but that doesn't change the fact that in general I am really enjoying this ride.

If I stopped reading threads due to negative posts, I basically would not be on PTV at all. I find the reality show threads the worst, and of the shows I watch, The Little Couple thread is full of posters who criticize every single thing Bill and Jen do. Many appear to actually hate this couple, which is mind boggling to me. Why waste your time watching people you have no use for? But I don't let it stop me from my enjoyment of the show, or posting. 

I have been critical of this show due to the inferior writing and acting, compared to the first go round of Murphy. I kept watching, hoping it would improve. And it has - the last two weeks I felt were the strongest shows so far.  

As someone who has never cooked a turkey in her life (my hubby does the cooking) I loved the scenes with Murphy in the kitchen. The apron that came with the $350 turkey cracked me up. So many good lines in the episode. I don't expect it to be of the calibre of the original show, but the last two episodes are more along the lines of what I was hoping for. So I am glad I stuck with it. 

• Love 7
On 11/23/2018 at 2:04 PM, Snow Apple said:

I was going to say Pat should have brought a vegan dish to contribute but I think Murphy refused Corky's offer to bring something? So that may be why he didn't.

I think Murphy was determined to do the whole thing by herself.  These sort of things are usually potluck.  Everyone brings something.  In this case I think Murphy got it into her head to cook Avery an old fashioned Thanksgiving meal even though she has never cooked before and that is among the hardest meals to cook especially on your own.   

It was however funny having her call the turkey hotline.  That bit was hilarious.

i am going to skip the I.C.E. Stuff.  I am still not sure how I feel about it.  I don’t mind politics in my comedy especially shows like this that double as political comedy....it was just so sudden that it felt.....sudden to me and I guess it through me.

• Love 1

I don't expect it to be of the calibre of the original show, but the last two episodes are more along the lines of what I was hoping for. So I am glad I stuck with it. 

We are different people than we were during the show's first go-round . Back then, the focus and humor of that show was fresh. It can't be the same the second time around. It never is. But we can still enjoy it.

Fox News pundits don't seem to care for this episode. I'm shocked.

• Love 19
On 24/11/2018 at 3:36 PM, mojito said:

We are different people than we were during the show's first go-round . Back then, the focus and humor of that show was fresh. It can't be the same the second time around. It never is. But we can still enjoy it.

I disagree, because there are other reboots that I think are as strong as the first go round. It has nothing to do the fact that we are different people, but for me rather the quality of the writing and acting. Which I think has improved in the last two weeks. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mojito said:

I thought it was Fred Stoller, who played Ray's cousin in Everybody Loves Raymond. I instantly saw his face when I heard that voice.

And Fred Stoller was apparently who I was referring to originally, I just didn't know his name... according to IMBD he was in six episodes of the original run, playing deli guy, bartender, etc. This Thanksgiving episode doesn't yet have a cast list on IMBD, but if it was him, that's a hilarious callback.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

I think Murphy was determined to do the whole thing by herself.  These sort of things are usually potluck.  Everyone brings something.  In this case I think Murphy got it into her head to cook Avery an old fashioned Thanksgiving meal even though she has never cooked before and that is among the hardest meals to cook especially on your own.   

It was however funny having her call the turkey hotline.  That bit was hilarious.

i am going to skip the I.C.E. Stuff.  I am still not sure how I feel about it.  I don’t mind politics in my comedy especially shows like this that double as political comedy....it was just so sudden that it felt.....sudden to me and I guess it through me.

I think that's in part what they were going for. That those kinds of reports can happen all of a sudden and out of the blue. Just think about how any of those families feel when ICE shows up out of nowhere. Betting it would be a rather similar situation.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I think that's in part what they were going for. That those kinds of reports can happen all of a sudden and out of the blue. Just think about how any of those families feel when ICE shows up out of nowhere. Betting it would be a rather similar situation.

Not only that, but it’s been a running subplot ever since Phyllis hired Miguel. We’ve known about his circumstances so this wasn’t something that was written at the last minute.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not only that, but it’s been a running subplot ever since Phyllis hires Miguel. We’ve known about his circumstances so this wasn’t something that was written at the last minute.

Exactly. It's been there as a running thread for quite some time now.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojito said:

I loved this Thanksgiving episode, but I've had to warm up to MB 2018. For me, when the show began in '88, I liked it but I enjoyed the show more and more as I acquainted myself with the characters. When it went off air at the end of the 90s, the characters with all their nuances were old friends. Starting this fall, my expectations were so much higher. I was initially disappointed. Now I'm happier each week. 

• Love 4

I think the show needed to find its 2018 feet. It's finding its way now.

23 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

I thought it was an average episode, until the end. That pushed it over the edge into "great" territory for me.

I appreciate the tonal whiplash. It really hammers home the point they were going for. Even a day later, it still stuck with me.

Why I think this show is important. It's always been preachy but we need it even more now.

5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Mother guilt for all of Avery's missed perfect Thanksgivimg meals because she was working or otherwise unavailable. I know it well.

• Love 7

No way I go for Thanksgiving dinner at the home of someone who is a notoriously bad cook without bringing food, no matter what the host says.

shlbycindyk: It seemed to me the episode was too kind to ICE.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Why I think this show is important. It's always been preachy but we need it even more now.

It's just that they're preaching to the choir.  And, the choir would like more laughs, better acting, writing & directing.

• Love 11
On 11/23/2018 at 5:34 AM, Ria said:

Weak spot was Pat. The “Ohio”lines were both funny and spot on. But up to them he was just obnoxious. Why didn’t he just spend the day with his Vegan millennial friends instead of being a rude drip at the party? 

Perhaps because Murphy browbeat him (and the others) into coming to her house.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

Perhaps because Murphy browbeat him (and the others) into coming to her house.

I can see her old friends capitulating but why would Pat?  He barely knows her.  And it's not like he's been buttering her up to keep his job or anything.  It was just odd but I guess they needed the vegan thing.

I laughed out loud when Murphy pulled the "welcome to your new stove" packet out of the oven.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I can see her old friends capitulating but why would Pat?  He barely knows her.  And it's not like he's been buttering her up to keep his job or anything.  It was just odd but I guess they needed the vegan thing.

They also needed someone else for ICE to suspect as being illegally in the country.

• Love 2
On 11/23/2018 at 10:12 PM, MrPissyPuppy said:

A heritage turkey!   Just found one for the incredible low price of $289.99 that will be 16 lb minimum just in time for everyone to order one for Christmas. 

https://www.dartagnan.com/heritage-turkey-narragansett-bourbon-red/product/FTUHE040-1.html 

It truly is amazing how much more expensive it is to produce/buy food that's made without gmo, hormones and other addidtives or pesticides (as in the case with fruit/veggies) and really what it does to food.  just looking at chicken breasts the other day, the store brand was just friggin huge at $1.99/pound, whereas the non-hormone/gmo, etc breasts were significantly flatter at $4.99/pound.

I've heard of warnings about people trying to sell "fake Heritage" birds, but D'Artagnan is a respectable company.  I wonder how it tastes.  maybe someday I can afford one.

I'm almost surprised that there was no prior Murphy Brown episode in the old run that included her trying to use the oven for the first time.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:15 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was hoping to see a reairing of the Thanksgiving episode from early season-where Miles brought LIVE turkeys to the shelter! 🤣😂😆😆 

Antenna TV re-aired that one early last week.  I DVR'd it for my husband, who loved it.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, Wanda said:

I’m always curious why people will watch shows they seem to hate so much. Just an observation. Not shows where there’s  there is an off episode you loathe (Roseambo being one of my can’t rewatch eps), but I read the forums for about 10 different shows and there are always people who couch their disappointment with a specific episode by critiquing the lack of quality within the entire production. Especially with a reboot like MURPHY BROWN. Anyone who didn’t understand what they were getting into, especially when the show creator and pretty much the entire original cast all back, should have figured it out before the first episode ended. And simple googling would have explained that this was always a show that wove it’s plots around topical issues. In its initial syndicated runs that was considered a real problem, that the jokes would keep this classic show from being timeless. Not commenting on any individual poster as I’ve seen it in multiple forums. Just curious as this show, and Will & Grace (for another example) are what they’ve always been. 

I get hate watching, and there are some things I do hate watch - mostly stuff my husband still watches that I gave up on long ago and he stubbornly refuses because he has "so much time invested, I might as well finish it".  I personally think my time is too valuable and I bow out when a show is no longer enjoyable, but he won't budge off of it.  He likes Last Man Standing.  I do not.  And it's not because of politics - I didn't like Home Improvement either, and this is just HI with girls, IMO.  But when the re-instated show started, I did go to the LMS site to see if anyone else thought the new Mandy was as terrible as we both did.  That was the general consensus, and I bowed out, and don't read or post there any further.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, Gothish520 said:

I don't have any issue with snark and whatnot, but I have put a few posters on various boards on ignore because their posts aren't snark, but are just out and out negative.  One in particular on the Little People, Big World board just got under my skin big-time, but I just hit "ignore" and that's that.  If you hate a show with every fiber of your being and only come here to do nothing but insult it, that's not snark.  It's just being annoying.

• Love 10
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, Gothish520 said:

I guess I will be the lone fan to say I thought the plot turn was heavy-handed, maudlin and overly preachy. I loved everything up until that point. I totally agree with the sentiments,  and there's definitely a huge story to tell there, but I feel like they laid it on too thick.

Nope, you aren't the only one.  I felt exactly the same way.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And the reality that this is happening all over the US could be somehow presented in some sort of an amusing way?  Light-handed?  Families torn from their children and sent to a place which they left decades ago can be funny?

Sorry, not seeing that as even possible.  This is not some inane comedy.  This is Murphy Brown and they have never shied away from serious issues.

There are ways to do it which are not as heavy handed and maudlin as this.  See a previous commenter's reference to a Thanksgiving episode during MB's original run.  No, MB has never shied away from serious issues, but they used to handle them with a defter touch.  And since the entire point of this forum is to express our opinions, I stand by mine.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And the reality that this is happening all over the US could be somehow presented in some sort of an amusing way?  Light-handed?  Families torn from their children and sent to a place which they left decades ago can be funny?

Sorry, not seeing that as even possible.  This is not some inane comedy.  This is Murphy Brown and they have never shied away from serious issues.

I usually love the way they cover serious issues - for instance, I thought they did a great job with the #metoo episode. And of course I knew the show would deal with immigration. But why did it have to be on Thanksgiving? That's just for melodramatic effect, and it was overkill, in my opinion.

I would've preferred an episode that was fully devoted to the subject, instead of it being shoehorned into a holiday episode. 

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 5

". ..... why I think this show is important. It's always been preachy but we need it even more now."

Totally in the minority here, but I personally don't need it even more now.  I don't need to be beaten over the head with politically relevant problems in one of the very few "comedies" I watch.  I read and support plenty of liberal news sources and am quite aware of these problems.  I need some laughter in my life, undiluted by misery.  All season I've felt it goes overboard on the politics, and only kept watching because DH watched.  But now I'm done.  

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

There are ways to do it which are not as heavy handed and maudlin as this.  See a previous commenter's reference to a Thanksgiving episode during MB's original run.  No, MB has never shied away from serious issues, but they used to handle them with a defter touch.  And since the entire point of this forum is to express our opinions, I stand by mine.

25 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

". ..... why I think this show is important. It's always been preachy but we need it even more now."

Totally in the minority here, but I personally don't need it even more now.  I don't need to be beaten over the head with politically relevant problems in one of the very few "comedies" I watch.  I read and support plenty of liberal news sources and am quite aware of these problems.  I need some laughter in my life, undiluted by misery.  All season I've felt it goes overboard on the politics

Yup .....  I am up on current events, so I don’t need this shoved down my throat on a sitcom.   As stated before, they are preaching to the choir & nobody on the opposite side is going to have an epiphany.   I was quite optimistic at the beginning of the episode, but it went off the rails quickly.  Murphy’s rant at the end was cringeworthy.

As far as expressing opinions, I have “ignored” and people can feel free to do the same.  I started watching because I enjoyed the previous series, and hope springs eternal .....

• Love 2

I was glad to see Phyllis step up to the surrogate mom role. That’s every parent’s biggest concern, what will happen to my kid? That should have provided a bit of comfort to them  to know he had someone to look out for him.  

• Love 14
25 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

But it's one thing to read about stuff like this happening. It's another to actually see it.

The abstract can be dismissed so easily.  Reality is harder to forget.  

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

The abstract can be dismissed so easily.  Reality is harder to forget.  

With the rapid news-cycle we need reminders that this is still happening. The horrifying recordings of kids being separated from their parents and placed into "camps" just a few months ago has already vanished and there are kids that are still not reunified. In a few weeks we'll have moved on from the gassing of migrants this past weekend.

Is Murphy Brown really a comedy? It's always seemed to be a dramadity that has never shied away from the serious and heavy.

• Love 13