Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Kids These Days

Haley needs a little motherly advice from Claire as she considers her future with Dylan and her career. Jay and Cam’s less-than-politically-correct coaching style earns them a class on sensitivity from Manny and Phil. Mitch runs into Phil’s nemesis, Gil, at an unlikely place.

Airdate: November 28, 2018

Really enjoyed this one. Felt like a good blend of all the families, and fun pairings (Jay/Cam, Mitch/Phil).

Plus minimal Manny! No Luke! No Joe! No Lily! Are the showrunners finally answering my prayers?

Alex: “I’m comfortable in my sexuality.”
Claire: “Hearing you say that makes me more comfortable with your sexuality.”
Gloria: “If I had a gun in my purse, I’d shoot myself.”

• Love 22

I really liked the Phil/Mitch stuff.

And I love Haley/Dylan.

the rest was just okay, the Alex stuff was extremely awkward.

I like Lily and wish the show made better use of her.   But I'm always glad when there's no Joe.

• Love 10

Alex did look great in that dress, as awkward as it makes Claire and Gloria. 

The Mitch/Phil plot was really funny, as well as sweet, especially Phil meeting his arch nemesis in the small town gay bar, and Mitchel realizes that he is actually the Worst, and admitting how much they like hanging out. And the guy on the motorcycle jumping right into the action. "This isnt at all what I thought it was, but its still beautiful!"  

Just the right amount of Manny...one scene! 

• Love 15

The Phil and Mitch plot was my favorite. I’m still not into Haley and Dylan as I feel like if this was always the end game, what were we doing for the past last few years? Also it seems to have regressed the haley character but that’s just me.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Is it bad that I kinda sorta like the name Halyn?

Naming their baby Dilly wouldlikely get them a preschool scholarship from Bud Light.

There wasn't a great story, but I enjoyed them all, pretty much equally. The show was always at its best when it played off the various interrelationships. Jay's fondness for the melting pot memories of his youth were oddly touching, and Andy Daly barely has to do anything to make me laugh.

I'm glad Claire and Alex had the talk they did, but I would have happily watched a full day of Alex and Gloria togrther, lifting each other up

• Love 3
2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also it seems to have regressed the haley character but that’s just me.

Exactly. Them putting her back wih Dylan has caused her character to regress. When you thought she might actualy grow ino her own, they do this. 

Not a whole lot of laughs in this episode.

• Love 9

Soooo by making it really really really clear Hayley is terrible at math, are they trying to set up that her ex is actually the biological father and Hayley won't figure it out for a few seasons until little toddler Dilly is clearly smarter then their parents? Or it'll be a fake out and Dylan actually is the father despite Dilly being smart. Ugh. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Exactly. Them putting her back wih Dylan has caused her character to regress. When you thought she might actualy grow ino her own, they do this. 

Not a whole lot of laughs in this episode.

Exactly. Even her getting her "dream job" it's Haley going back to who she was the first three seasons. Feels like with Alex, this was a few years too late with her story. So, basically the reason she dressed in over sized clothes was because of Claire? When we have seen Claire go both business and sexy in many, many episodes. I feel more like Alex's "sexual" awakening was when she was still with Sanja.

I get what they were trying to do with the football team with: "People are sensitive to everything now". However, I am so TIRED of school administrators or teachers depicted as such morons. The principal at the high school has always been shown as a moron, but really? This is going too far. I mean: "We can't say anything because it might get us a law suit." I love Cam: "I'm on a teacher's salary and I'm gay, how much more sensitive can I get?" It's like doing a flipped classroom and you are expected to have more flipped discussion, when it's designed to spend more time with students one on one who are confused or WANT hand holding. It doesn't work. 

• Love 3

It was the weakest of the recent victory lap episodes.

The Alex scenes were a little too meta for me-they clearly were winking at the fact that they have been hiding Ariel Winter in Alex's baggy clothing....altho Gloria did have the funniest line about shooting herself since I felt the same way, even tho the scene was well done.

The politically correct scenes just went on too long....funny premise, but waaaayyy overdone.

Can we get a promise never to have to see Gil Thorpe (really Rob Riggle) again? Awful character...annoying actor

So, the big question : Do they end the series with the Haley/Dylan wedding (allows them to have a reason to bring back ALLLLL the major and minor characters) or the birth of Haylan or Dilly (and harken back to the pilot with Cam doing the Lion King bit for Lily). Me, I'm going with BOTH

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, AriAu said:

Can we get a promise never to have to see Gil Thorpe (really Rob Riggle) again? Awful character...annoying actor

Have you guys noticed he always seems to play the same type of character? A jerky douchebag.

Look at his roles in Modern Family, The Hangover, The Other Guys, 21 Jumpstreet, Step Brothers, Victorious...

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, jmonique said:

The retconning to try to make Dylan into Phil 2.0 is nauseating. Being naive is one thing, being barely able to walk and talk is a whole 'nother thing.

Especially given that Andy was already Phil 2.0. I know a lot of people didn’t like Andy but it was made a point that he and Phil were very similar.

• Love 15

The Alex storyline felt like they were beating the audience over the head with what’s happening in the actress’s personal life. She’s not rebelling due to upheaval in her family life and making some poor fashion choices despite being able to afford a stylist. She’s exploring her sexuality and we dumb dumbs just don’t understand. As for the show, it feels like they can’t just let Alex do anything naturally. Every single thing has to be awkward and in your face to her parents. Remember the creepy sex painting episode? 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, readster said:

we have seen Claire go both business and sexy in many, many episodes

Yeah, this episode made Claire sound like a frumpy, asexual housefrau. She's a very attractive woman with good fashion sense and can easily pull off "sexy". Felt like a bit of a retcon.

• Love 9

Yeah, this episode made Claire sound like a frumpy, asexual housefrau. She's a very attractive woman with good fashion sense and can easily pull off "sexy".

Well, we know that Julianna can pull off sexy, but Claire, not as much.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

Yeah, this episode made Claire sound like a frumpy, asexual housefrau. She's a very attractive woman with good fashion sense and can easily pull off "sexy". Felt like a bit of a retcon.

It's a better retcon than the time they made her seem like a "tomboy" who always wore masculine clothes in that episode where Claire and Gloria took Lily shopping for her flower girl dress for Mitch and Cam's wedding. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Have you guys noticed he always seems to play the same type of character? A jerky douchebag.

Look at his roles in Modern Family, The Hangover, The Other Guys, 21 Jumpstreet, Step Brothers, Victorious...

He played that persona on The Daily Show when he worked there, too.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I did start to buy though like Mitchell did, his showing a more sensitive and vulnerable side. Although I did like that it turned out he's just as much of a jerk even with a different sexuality!

15 minutes ago, possibilities said:

He played that persona on The Daily Show when he worked there, too.

That's where I found out he had been in the Marines:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Naming their baby Dilly wouldlikely get them a preschool scholarship from Bud Light.

lol

I'm just glad when Dylan asked her to marry him she was just like, "are you nuts?"

@jamfly – I, too, do not trust Haley and her pregnancy-math skills.

11 hours ago, readster said:

The principal at the high school has always been shown as a moron, but really? This is going too far. I mean: "We can't say anything because it might get us a law suit." I love Cam: "I'm on a teacher's salary and I'm gay, how much more sensitive can I get?" 

This bugged me, too. I mean, I know it's a sitcom (and exaggerated probably more than most to boot), but "we can't tell an older guy he's wrong because age discrimination"? Uh, no. That's just dumb. (Though there's a work advice blog I read sometimes and it seems a lot of people out there think if someone is any kind of minority or disabled then they can't be fired for being a bad employee…which makes them bad managers that cause people to write in to work advice blogs.)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, jmonique said:

The retconning to try to make Dylan into Phil 2.0 is nauseating. Being naive is one thing, being barely able to walk and talk is a whole 'nother thing.

It's not really a retcon, it's something that Phil has said to Claire a billion times since season 1.  It's why he's always been team Dillion over everyone else.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

It's not really a retcon, it's something that Phil has said to Claire a billion times since season 1.  It's why he's always been team Dillion over everyone else.

Also Claire's lukewarm feelings toward Dylan mirror Jay's feelings for Phil. With Andy, Claire liked Andy so that wasn't a beat that they could play, and Phil is too nice to ever treat someone like Jay has treated him.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

lol

I'm just glad when Dylan asked her to marry him she was just like, "are you nuts?"

@jamfly – I, too, do not trust Haley and her pregnancy-math skills.

This bugged me, too. I mean, I know it's a sitcom (and exaggerated probably more than most to boot), but "we can't tell an older guy he's wrong because age discrimination"? Uh, no. That's just dumb. (Though there's a work advice blog I read sometimes and it seems a lot of people out there think if someone is any kind of minority or disabled then they can't be fired for being a bad employee…which makes them bad managers that cause people to write in to work advice blogs.)

Then you get the opposite end of managers who fire people because they complain of actual problems. Instead they are viewed as whiners. Soon as they go, they start training the new person and find out they were right. Instead of apologies or: "I should actually listen to the complaints." it's more of: "Well, I never liked them, so I took care of that problem and no one will ever know." It's so bad, but it happens. However, things like this, no that's too much.

• Love 3

I always like when they mix up the families and we get variation on the dynamics of the group.

I felt bad for Alex when Claire came home and expressed such relief at finally being able to spend time with and talk to Haley instead of having to endure anymore time with Alex, especially since Alex acknowledged that Claire wasn’t comfortable talking to her about certain things and thus sought out someone else to help her, but of course Claire insisted on being included when she found out and then seemed so put off and bothered by the whole thing. 

The whole sensitive anti-bullying thing was obviously over-exaggerated but at least there were some funny lines in there, especially hearing Cam and Jay throw around some of the newer words and catchphrases that seem so popular on social media and the like. 

Always like when Mitch and Phill have scenes together and that they share their nerdy side with each other. Gay or straight, Gil is still a tool. 

I like Dylan and think he’s sweet and probably would make a good father, but I hate when tv shows continuously make a punchline out of a character’s intelligence (well lack there off) but then retcon it all by making them suddenly able to do something that actually requires a brain, like becoming a nurse. Certainly there was another career he could have pursued that would demonstrate his sensitivity and make more sense. 

Edited by Everleigh
  • Love 10
On 11/28/2018 at 10:14 PM, partofme said:

I really liked the Phil/Mitch stuff.

And I love Haley/Dylan.

the rest was just okay, the Alex stuff was extremely awkward.

I like Lily and wish the show made better use of her.   But I'm always glad when there's no Joe.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:24 PM, tennisgurl said:

Alex did look great in that dress, as awkward as it makes Claire and Gloria. 

The Mitch/Phil plot was really funny, as well as sweet, especially Phil meeting his arch nemesis in the small town gay bar, and Mitchel realizes that he is actually the Worst, and admitting how much they like hanging out. And the guy on the motorcycle jumping right into the action. "This isnt at all what I thought it was, but its still beautiful!"  

Just the right amount of Manny...one scene! 

On 11/29/2018 at 9:39 AM, AriAu said:

It was the weakest of the recent victory lap episodes.

The Alex scenes were a little too meta for me-they clearly were winking at the fact that they have been hiding Ariel Winter in Alex's baggy clothing....altho Gloria did have the funniest line about shooting herself since I felt the same way, even tho the scene was well done.

The politically correct scenes just went on too long....funny premise, but waaaayyy overdone.

So, the big question : Do they end the series with the Haley/Dylan wedding (allows them to have a reason to bring back ALLLLL the major and minor characters) or the birth of Haylan or Dilly (and harken back to the pilot with Cam doing the Lion King bit for Lily). Me, I'm going with BOTH

On 11/29/2018 at 12:01 PM, Angeleyes said:

The Alex storyline felt like they were beating the audience over the head with what’s happening in the actress’s personal life. She’s not rebelling due to upheaval in her family life and making some poor fashion choices despite being able to afford a stylist. She’s exploring her sexuality and we dumb dumbs just don’t understand. As for the show, it feels like they can’t just let Alex do anything naturally. Every single thing has to be awkward and in your face to her parents. Remember the creepy sex painting episode? 

On 11/29/2018 at 12:03 PM, CleoCaesar said:

Honestly, the whole stupid story line seemed just an excuse to put Alex in sexy clothes for once.  She has a short and curvy body that is not often seen on young women in television with the exception of Kim Kardashian.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

Honestly, the whole stupid story line seemed just an excuse to put Alex in sexy clothes for once.  She has a short and curvy body that is not often seen on young women in television with the exception of Kim Kardashian.

I do like though that even in the hot clothes, it didn't suddenly transform her personality. Ariel believably conveyed Alex being awkward in them.  "Sexiness" is not just looks but attitude.

1 hour ago, Mystery said:

The one thing I liked was Haley misunderstanding that Phil might not be her father, and exclaiming "Is that why I'm so short?" It's so jarring to me, to see how short Haley and Alex are. 

I'm going to assume Phil's dead mom, whom we never saw, was a petite woman.

• Love 4
On 11/29/2018 at 6:39 AM, AriAu said:

The show is expected to return for Season 11 next year.

• Love 1

I found most of the episode pretty dull. The PC storyline with Jay and Cam felt like the kind of parody you would see in South Park (and have seen in South Park! The Principal in this ep was basically PC Principal from South Park aside from the fact that the end of the ep proved that he didn't actually believe in what he was espousing while PC Principal fanatically does), the Alex/Gloria/Claire parts were joyless, and I couldn't care less about Haley being pregnant. 

BUT

I loved the Phil and Mitch subplot. We've seen their nerdy friendship showcased a little bit in previous seasons (like that ep where they ate drug laced candy or something while they were waiting in line to see some sci-fi or fantasy movie) and it's always very cute when they get to spend time together. I wish we got to see their dynamic a little more often. The photo montage near the end with them wearing the storm trooper helmets was delightful. I was sort of lukewarm on the Gil aspect of it, but I did like that Gil didn't suddenly become a better person after coming out of the closet. There's a trope that pops up in shows sometimes where it turns out that a douchey character has actually only been that way because they're in the closet and the stress of it has been making them lash out for years and they suddenly do a complete 180 once they come out and have that stress relieved. I don't think that's entirely unrealistic for some people, but a lot of the time people are just dicks and their repressed sexuality has no bearing on it, and I'm glad they had Gil be one of those people. 

Edited by salmondean
  • Love 4

I've mentioned it before, but Haley- Dylan as a couple, cute in high school but not as adults.  And with a baby

I actually don't worry about Dylan as a father. I think he would be a good father. But they are both just not that bright.  And that's the difference between Dylan and Phil. Phil has a goofy and child like side, but he has never been portrayed as stupid.  He is quite smart and personable, a natural salesman. And even if he was, he has Claire there to be the type A keeping them on track. 

Dylan/Haley are both just not that bright and are much different as a couple from Phil/Claire.  And neither are Type A. 

Agree with others than Andy is much more Phil than Dylan.  But then I was never a big fan of him and Haley either.  Its a bit creepy that the only loveline plot the writers can come up with for her is how she wants to marry her dad. 

The Alex story for me just struck too close to her real life sexual exploration and, in my opinion, acting out and showing off.  Was hard to watch, much more awkward than funny

Loved Phil and Mitch together, but then Phil with anyone is always the best

The Cam story just seemed over the top.  And I was never clear why Jay was there, except just as an excuse to deliver that one halftime speech.  I know they made something up, but that is literally what the writers did, make something up, it made little sense whatever they said. 

• Love 7
On 11/30/2018 at 4:59 AM, VCRTracking said:

It's a better retcon than the time they made her seem like a "tomboy" who always wore masculine clothes in that episode where Claire and Gloria took Lily shopping for her flower girl dress for Mitch and Cam's wedding. 

Is it really a retcon if they have at least four episodes featuring this joke? There was the After the Fire episode (with her receiving a box of out-of-date clothes that look just like the one she's wearing) Wine Weekend (where everone comments about her not dressing sexy enough), the aforementioned Other People's Children and this one.

Edited by quangtran
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, quangtran said:

Is it really a retcon if they have at least four episodes featuring this joke? There was the After the Fire episode (with her receiving a box of out-of-date clothes that look just like the one she's wearing) Whine Weekend (where everone comments about her not dressing sexy enough), the aforementioned Other People's Children and this one.

And there were also those scenes where Claire is dressed in comfortable clothing standing next to Gloria who looks all va-va-voom, and she feels lacking in comparison.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, quangtran said:

Is it really a retcon if they have at least four episodes featuring this joke? There was the After the Fire episode (with her receiving a box of out-of-date clothes that look just like the one she's wearing) Wine Weekend (where everone comments about her not dressing sexy enough), the aforementioned Other People's Children and this one.

4 hours ago, nilyank said:

And there were also those scenes where Claire is dressed in comfortable clothing standing next to Gloria who looks all va-va-voom, and she feels lacking in comparison.

True but it seems they act like she's not capable at all of dressing more feminine and that's not true. She just dresses more casual.

A moment l liked was when Phil tried to compare his telling his dad he wanted to be a magician to Gil's coming out  and Gil in a raised voice: "It's not the same Phil!"

• Love 3
15 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

The show is expected to return for Season 11 next year.

I get it as they are doing fine in ratings. While shows like: Splitting up Together and Fresh off the Boat are tanking and ABC doesn't take chances on new shows like they use to. Or they bet on the wrong horse when everything is telling them: "Seriously, let his show die." However, if half the cast walks away saying they want to move on, two things are going to happen. They will either let them and let the show bow out gracefully or they will milk whatever they can for money until ABC finally realizes: "Yeah, enough, we are done!"

• Love 1

The main thing I got from the tipping scene is that Haley has tons of cash to throw around without batting an eyelid. Apparently she thinks nothing of dropping $50 for a light lunch or snack at a diner. Are we to think her wonderful job pays her that well, or Phil and Claire still give her an allowance like she's still in high school? Huh.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

The main thing I got from the tipping scene is that Haley has tons of cash to throw around without batting an eyelid. Apparently she thinks nothing of dropping $50 for a light lunch or snack at a diner. Are we to think her wonderful job pays her that well, or Phil and Claire still give her an allowance like she's still in high school? Huh.

I thought Dylan was the one paying and it showed that Haley was really bad at math and Dylan is even worst for not realizing it. Especially after just saying exactly that in their conversation moments before.

• Love 3
On 12/1/2018 at 8:19 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was waiting for Al Bundy to remind us that he once scored four touchdowns in a single game at Polk High School.

Yeah, that was a missed opportunity. Hulu now has Married with Children and every time I watch it, I like to think that Al Bundy finally caught a break late in life and became Jay. 

I get it as they are doing fine in ratings. While shows like: Splitting up Together and Fresh off the Boat are tanking and ABC doesn't take chances on new shows like they use to. Or they bet on the wrong horse when everything is telling them: "Seriously, let his show die." However, if half the cast walks away saying they want to move on, two things are going to happen. They will either let them and let the show bow out gracefully or they will milk whatever they can for money until ABC finally realizes: "Yeah, enough, we are done!"

I could see Ed O'Neill walking away. He's in his 70s, had 2 massively successful shows among his other movie/voiceover jobs and is sitting on a pile of money. I think he was over MwC by the end of its long run, he may hit a similar wall with this show.

I would say that they'd probably fold the show if he left, but Jay dying could also be show fodder. It would have to be at the end of the run though, I don't think they could mine much comedy out of it. 

True but it seems they act like she's not capable at all of dressing more feminine and that's not true. She just dresses more casual.

She CAN dress up (mainly on Valentine's Day), but it's not a big part of her persona the way it is with Gloria, so I didn't have much of a problem with the premise. She's generally a more practical, casual dresser whereas it's basically Gloria's job to look sexy (ie, the only reason she's rich enough to not have to work is because of her looks). 

I'm just not crazy about Sarah Hyland's acting, so the expanded focus on Haley doesn't thrill me. And her "dream job" seems kinda dumb. Stumbling into a promotion because your boss is a space cadet doesn't strike me as a huge accomplishment.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yeah, that was a missed opportunity. Hulu now has Married with Children and every time I watch it, I like to think that Al Bundy finally caught a break late in life and became Jay. 

I could see Ed O'Neill walking away. He's in his 70s, had 2 massively successful shows among his other movie/voiceover jobs and is sitting on a pile of money. I think he was over MwC by the end of its long run, he may hit a similar wall with this show.

I would say that they'd probably fold the show if he left, but Jay dying could also be show fodder. It would have to be at the end of the run though, I don't think they could mine much comedy out of it. 

She CAN dress up (mainly on Valentine's Day), but it's not a big part of her persona the way it is with Gloria, so I didn't have much of a problem with the premise. She's generally a more practical, casual dresser whereas it's basically Gloria's job to look sexy (ie, the only reason she's rich enough to not have to work is because of her looks). 

I'm just not crazy about Sarah Hyland's acting, so the expanded focus on Haley doesn't thrill me. And her "dream job" seems kinda dumb. Stumbling into a promotion because your boss is a space cadet doesn't strike me as a huge accomplishment.

For me though with this show, any of the main cast walking away would be the end for me. At least for the adults, Claire, Phil, Jay, Gloria, Cam And Mitch. Even if I don’t like them all the time, they are such a big staple for me to watch this show and it wouldn’t be the same without them. And that’s why I sort of knew when the show teased a big death for this season, I knew it wouldn’t be any of them. 

I do think the show should bow out. For the most part, a lot of the stories with the six adults feel like retreads of things they’ve done before, which is kind of standard for sitcoms and the show keeps trying to shift focus on the kids who are now adults (except for Lily, Joe, and the other little boy whose name is escaping me) but it isn’t quite working.

I think Sarah Hyland is fine but I don’t find Haley or her story all that compelling and I don’t get the Haley/Dylan love others seen to have here. Ariel winter is fine too, I guess but they never seem to know what to do with her character and haven’t since she graduated high school. I can do without manny and Luke a lot of the time. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 4