Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning

• Start Topic

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I also want to say that I officially hate the flashforwards. Some shows do them well, but it's often a poor attempt at drama in the present day. Flashforwards are especially hard to do since they are in the future and set things up for the present day stuff. Look at how quickly they shoved the Toby/Kate flashforward into the present day to get rid of it. Same with the Kevin/Zoe flying to Vietnam flashforward from last season's finale. The Kevin/Zoe flashforward being shown in the present day worked well, but the Toby/Kate stuff was clearly shown as the showrunners not having a clue on how to conclude that storyline. We literally had that as a two episode plot and then they wrapped it up. 

I hate them, too.  The whole premise of TIU is to show how our past experiences make us who we are today, and they do a good job of it. Going into the future just screws with all of that, confuses issues, and depresses the heck out of me.  Yes we're all going to get old and die.  I don't need reminding. 

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 4

So weeks later, I have come to the conclusion that now I don’t think I like the big end reveal of this episode. I just don’t. And I think it has made me figured out what is bugging me about this season. It’s now become way more dramatic and too soapy to me.

The first two seasons never felt this heavy and weighed down to me. Maybe to others they did but those first two seasons felt very Nuanced to me and.. more real. Now it all feels so movie driven and dramatic. There aren’t any small moments, like last season when they all went to the mall and then came home and Rebecca forgot batteries and we all realized that’s what caused the fire. Now it’s some dramatic “we didn’t find any record of Nick Pearson” and then some war flashback of a boat exploding and a flash of someone named Nick Pearson and his mail. It’s just.. becoming a little much. At least for me. 

As for the flash forwards, I mean... I don’t know. I think I said it when the episode first aired, I always figured it would be Rebecca or Kate. I’m not against the flash forward, I kind of like them but I do wish they would fit into the story better. That’s another pet peeve of mine, a lot of flashbacks (and flash forwards) this season don’t fit into the stories as seamlessly as they did the first two seasons. This episode was better with Kevin being in Vietnam and the flashbacks of what Jack went through. But still.. again this show had such a nice blend the first two seasons, I feel like there’s a magic missing.

• Love 3
On 11/28/2018 at 11:41 AM, Kdawg82 said:

I dont think so because why did Beth's (assistant??) Tell her she already prepared the "pin the tail on the donkey " game? I thought maybe it's a grandchild ? Idk. 

And she had this in her hand, ready to give to Beth, before Beth said "We're going to see Randall's mother".  So how did she know to bring the game - just because Tess and Randall were on the way.....to visit someone that, up until now, Tess had been "not ready" to see?

It makes no sense.  

I had DVR'd like the last 5 episodes and FINALLY felt ready to watch.

Wow. I think the show works better as a binge because you could watch the stories unfold without interruption, especially with all the back and forward they do.

I knew there was a shocker at the end but somehow I was able to avoid the actual spoiler. 

I thought the Vietnam scenes were well done, and much like Jack, my uncle was there and didn't say much., He's now ready to talk a little but my mom said she had no idea how bad it was and still doesn't. She gets choked up when she thinks about the things he did and saw over there. He was one of the old ones, at 24.

I think the Randall storyline is a little overplayed but it's all in the wheelhouse of Jack and Randall being of a similar nature, never giving in and never giving up. I also see an addictive nature in Randall, and much like others have said, Superman quality. I like it more when you see the broken pieces and I like that Beth is also finding her push. That end with her teaching ballet is very interesting to me.

Count me as the thinking Deja and Tess were a thing or at least a crush thing. Maybe not? That was a good theory put by many. I will say the talk with the parents was WONDERFUL. Now that was not cliche. I liked every bit of that. 

Toby and Kate are eh to me. I feel they are a little too side story for me. 

Edited by emjohnson03
On 11/28/2018 at 10:30 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The older I get and learn about people, the more and more I realize that this isn't true.  YMMV

Yep. I just realized my family had a fuck load of shit.

Dad was a Holocaust/Dachau survivor. 

Mom was raped twice at different times by different guys.  Mom had several miscarriages, as did my aunt (heavy smokers both). 

Brother had a high number in draft lottery, so joined up close to end of Nam, so was luckily sent to Germany instead.  

Sister was abducted at age 12, by a guy in a car with a gun as she was walking to a local store. She jumped out as he was driving  and go away unharmed physically. FBI investigated cuz he crossed state lines. Never foundhim. She became a slut--looking for love in all the wrong places.  She gave up a baby at 15, and in 40 years now, never found her.  Later, had 2-3 abortions by the time she was 20. The place she works at (for 15 years now) had a shooter enter (about 7 years ago)  and killed several workers/friends of hers.  She had to run and hide for her life.  Her only kept child was a great kid, tuned druggie, served lengthy time, released this year,  and recently killed a woman.  Yeah, her life sucks, although she remains a joyful person--on the outside--and is in therapy, and has supportive close friends.

Other sister's youngest son hung himself 2 years ago,  depressed that a ten-year relationship had ended.  

Mom's parents immigrated here and in later years both had diabetes with legs (Grandfather both; grandmother one) removed. Grandfather drank and was abusive to grandmother.

Four sons (my uncles) all served in military during WW2 and lived. One uncle survived Pearl Harbor. 

Sorry to put a downer on your New Year.

There were successes/ love, too. My family survived trauma, and without turning on each other.

We, me, my sisters and brother and their kids are close now,  although we live at a distance. We get together a few times a year, regularly email,  talk,  and remember birthdays of all.  We had good times (mostly) in childhood. 

What's normal? 

This Is Us only scratches the surface.  But then,  life IS stranger than fiction,  for sure. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 2