Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Tender Is The Nate

• Start Topic

I understood and expected Charlie's initial reaction to Nate, but I thought she was unnecessarily harsh with him later. It's not his fault that she took Amaya's shape, give the guy a second to adjust. And I never even cared about Nate/Amaya, I always thought they were just an obligatory "hot characters hookup" trope.

This show, though. I was just about to dismiss it as a fun but not especially inventive episode, when Hank started warbling "Sweet Baby James." Not gonna lie, I sang along.

• Love 3
On 11/27/2018 at 9:38 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Speaking of Nate, I am very, very much loving his scenes with his dad. Ok, yes, I will continue to wait for some acknowledgment about his hemophilia that will never come,

16 hours ago, johntfs said:

I lot of people keep forgetting that time has changed pretty significantly.  When the Legends saved Amaya and her village, they permanently altered history.  So maybe Nate didn't have hemophilia, but still was somewhat bookish and pursued history, setting up the conflicts he had with the father.

I think it was strongly implied (even though not explicitly stated?) that the Nazi super serum Ray improved not only turned Nate into Steel but also cured his hemophilia since the reason they gave it to him in the first place because he was dying from massive internal injuries that were not clotting correctly because of the hemophilia.

I'm late to the party this week (got a migraine right before the show was about to start, so I couldn't watch it until yesterday) so I'll just echo what everyone else has already said. This was a blast! Surely one of the most batshit fun episodes of the series, which is really saying something. I will definitely need to watch it again, as I'm still a little zombified from leftover migraine effects, and there were a lot of zingers flying in this one.

Strangely, this ep felt like Classic Legends insanity that we've all come to love while simultaneously feeling like a big departure in tone and focus. Having such a big focus on the Time Bureau, Hank's inclusion on the mission, and the beginnings of the dreaded split-filming schedule which always seems to plague ensemble shows in their later years... I dunno. Like I said, I will need to rewatch. Maybe because the first three years were pretty exclusively focused on our beloved screwups day tripping through history, and now this season has so much more going on and so many new characters. This was a jam-packed 42 minutes for sure.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:56 PM, Miss Dee said:

I remember how two years back everyone on this thread would be high-fiving at the thought of Nate leaving the Waverider. How times have changed, and how good the writers have gotten. I'm sorry that he's taking a step back for a bit, but considering how hard everyone worked behind the scenes to get him the time off he needed it's really a heartwarming story...as long as his daughter continues to do well, of course.

I am friendshipping Ava, Nora and Mona extremely hard right now, however. I really need an episode where they join Sara, Zari and Charlie for a girls' night out that's just sheer laughs and bonding for the entire episode (bonus points if Gideon can join by remote), while the guys face a monster and have the devil of a time dealing with it. And the fact that this would be the anomaly on Legends and not the norm is Reason 28463 why this show is so damned amazing.

It's honestly chilling to think that had Dominic Purcell succumbed to his Prison Break accident, we never would have gotten Season 3/4 Mick. What a loss to the world that would have been.

Nate's parting words sounded extremely ominous. I'm hoping it was just an allusion to the actor's real world circumstances, but I'm half-afraid it means 1) cancellation, or 2) a schism so big it fundamentally changes the show and destroys the Legends insofar as they are our merry band of time travellers/demon hunters/revellers.

I am actually sad that Nate is off the Waverider (for now), and that is absolutely something I never, ever would have expected myself to say. It did feel rather final, but it's impossible to predict anything with this fakakte show, so for now I will just sit back and appreciate how good the writing has become.

Though IMO this show is dangerously close to having too many characters, I would love to have a human form Gideon join the fun on a regular basis. Seeing her with the other three at the TB would've been fantastic.

It is scary to think what a close call DP's accident on Prison Break really was. I'm always grateful when they give Mick a little depth, because DP can knock it out of the park.

I too am hoping that, whatever this season brings, the show doesn't lose what it is at its core. There are more than enough dark/gritty/edgy/superhero/angsty/whatever shows out there. There's only one Legends of Tomorrow.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:12 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Why is Constantine sleeping in the library?

I do think that 8 bedrooms and 1 bathroom shows poor planning, though.

Constantine is probably sleeping in the library because A) he feels like it and B) easier access to research material.

Totally agree on the bathroom thing! You'd think with all that future tech they could figure out a way to convert another room or something.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:38 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Ava, Mona, and Nora worked fairly well. I'll admit I'm still not enamored with Mona yet, but she's definitely warming up on me. Once they toned her down by the end of the episode, it was pretty good. I still need some more time with Mona, much like with Gary. Ava/Nora bonding was something I never expected but something I also never knew I needed in my life. Honestly, I would have been happy with just Ava and Nora bonding, but I also trust the show with Mona and getting me to like her. Hey, if they managed to finally get me to like Nate again, they can make me love Mona! 

Speaking of Nate, I am very, very much loving his scenes with his dad. Ok, yes, I will continue to wait for some acknowledgment about his hemophilia that will never come, but that's a "me" problem. I think what's important is that they are sticking to the core of Nate when he was introduced: he was never a manly man and preferred to be inside and read and study history, while his dad is not like that. So....they ARE still making it work. I did chuckle at the show's attempts to rewrite part of his introduction with having Nate say that he joined because he had "baggage" before the Legends, but it's also not entirely untrue. His baggage just happened to be a life threatening condition.

Nate meeting Charlie worked better than I thought. Nate got over the shock of Charlie looking like Amaya and came to give her some solid advice. 

They have finally gotten Constantine to a place where I could see why he kind of fits with the Legends. He's not totally there and he still feels out of place at times, but he's working better for me with the humour. 

I liked Mona much better after this ep, and can see what kind of role she could fill both on the team and on the canvas. I loved that she was able to get Nora and Ava to see enough similarities to bond. That being said... as enjoyable as she was here, I would rather spend our precious airtime watching our long-time characters like Sara, Ray, Mick, even Zari feels like she's been around forever. I don't dislike Mona, I'm just not entirely sold yet.

I'll be right with you waiting for Nate's hemophilia to make a return, though it will likely be a long wait... Considering Nate has been my least favorite Legend for a few years, I did enjoy his story with his Dad and it gave a good glimpse as to why Nate is how he is. Hank was a total blowhard, as he was supposed to be, but Tom Wilson somehow makes him work. If anyone can do it, Biff can!

I actually thought Charlie/Nate would get more focus, but the less we're reminded of Nate/Amaya, the better. Then again, Charlie was introduced through Ray and we've yet to see them interact since that first episode, so I guess we should take what we can get.

I felt that last night was the first time, IMO, that Constantine fit with the show. Used just enough but didn't overshadow other characters or change the episode's tone. And I loved his American accent (which I actually thought was pretty good), and his choice of "American" words.

17 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Mick needs to eat.

Zari does too! I think it's tough to say who's seen eating more.

3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I think it was strongly implied (even though not explicitly stated?) that the Nazi super serum Ray improved not only turned Nate into Steel but also cured his hemophilia since the reason they gave it to him in the first place because he was dying from massive internal injuries that were not clotting correctly because of the hemophilia.

True, but Nate was introduced as growing up with hemophilia, which affected the jobs he took and the way he lived his life pre-Legends, and therefore his formative relationship with his father. That's the aspect the show seems to have forgotten, and some of us would love to have that acknowledged.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I too am hoping that, whatever this season brings, the show doesn't lose what it is at its core. There are more than enough dark/gritty/edgy/superhero/angsty/whatever shows out there. There's only one Legends of Tomorrow.

Amen!

• Love 1
On 11/26/2018 at 10:56 PM, Miss Dee said:

I remember how two years back everyone on this thread would be high-fiving at the thought of Nate leaving the Waverider. How times have changed, and how good the writers have gotten. 

That just shows us how good the Legends writers are, they can get us to change our minds about any character. I wasn't a fan of Ray on Arrow but I love him on here. Even Damian Darhk was fun when he joined the team for a bit last season. I will miss Nate not being as involved this season when earlier I felt he had no purpose. 

It helps that LoT writes for the characters and gives them time to breathe so we can get to know them. Instead of just knowing their powers or fighting style. Which is how I see the other Arrowverse shows. 

• Love 6

My theory is that Rip set up the Time Bureau with government connections in a Machiavellian scheme to keep them out of his way while the Bureau does its real mission.  The budget stuff is mainly to keep suits happy, because if anything the Bureau could self-fund (travel back in time find where a Roman buried his gold, check and see if anyone ever found it in the future, and if not comeback after a hundred years and take it). The government just think's they're in charge.

Everything else in this episode worked so well despite that it should never have worked if you looked at it on paper: Nate's bureaucrat dad singing James Taylor to a minotaur in 1920's Paris to save Hemingway.

The Ava/Mona/Nora scenes worked as well.  Courtney Ford kind of played second fiddle to Neal McDonough last year, but she can hold her own here, from her bonding with Ava to her annoyance at Mona for spoiling the book she was secretly reading.  And of course her chemistry with Brandon (and true to form, the Legends didn't even notice Ray was gone).

Other fun things: Charlie's attempted southern-ish American accent, Constantine saying American words, the Fitzgeralds, Salvador Dali's minotaur "ignore the melting clocks" and only Charlie recognizes it.  And if it was me, I'm keeping that napkin.

Oh, and add me to the shallow train because Caity Lotz looked damn good in the lingerie.

Edited by Lugal
so many typos
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, piperkat said:

Ava definitely seemed way out of character, or at least out of 4th season character. 3rd season Ava I could see as being totally by the book and all "no shipping the inmates!" but I feel like 4th season Ava would have at least tried to explain the reasons behind the rules.

If you see a child about to run into traffic or touch a hot stove, you don't stop to carefully explain to the child why they shouldn't do such things.  You grab the child and pull the child away from danger.  Then maybe you explain.  So of course Ava wants to get Mona (and herself) away from Nora Darkh.

Take a moment and consider what might have happened in the Star Wars universe if Luke Skywalker had gotten Anakin away after the Emperor fell and to effective medical treatment, saving his life.  How many people in the Rebellion would be super pumped to have Darth Fucking Vader around?

To the Time Bureau, Nora Darkh is Darth Vader.  Sure, maybe right there at the end she pitched in to help the good guys, but she's still a person partly responsible for the deaths of dozens of Time Bureau agents.

Ava normally tends toward rules and order.  And right now Hank is threatening to effectively take her agency out of her control.  So the last thing Ava needs is Ray Palmer making a booty call on Nora Darkh.  Beyond which figure every fiber of Ava's being is quietly screaming "This Is A Trap!" at the idea that Nora voluntarily turned herself in.  For all the time she's known about her, Ava has considered Nora to be a criminal, a threat, a monster.  This episode was the first time she was forced to regard her as a human being.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 6

Possibly unpopular opinion time....this episode was a big fat clunker for me. Maybe because it had a season one vibe or maybe I just can’t stand Hemingway, but I really think it’s Mona’s addition. I feel like she is the big Mary Sue fangirl and it bugs the crap out of me. 

Every other episode this season has been amazingly awesome but this one just felt weird. I did like moments with Nora and Ava, but the Mona thing was so irritating. I’m putting her in the Felicia Day scale, I think she is someone you either love or hate...in my case, and Mr. Dingochick’s, it’s not love. 

21 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

John's on the ship because he's running from someone from his past. 

Also they had the Legends learn that not all the magical creatures deserve to go to hell. They do however need to take them out of whatever time period they are in to not mess with history. Right now they are containing then until they figure out what to do with them. 

If they are evil and killing people they probably will be sent to hell. The unicorn was a disguised hell beast and the fairy godmother was taking out her revenge on humans. Charlie was just messing around, and the minataur was just chilling in the catacombs. I don't know what the creatures in the time Bureau were doing but they were probably just scaring people rather than hurting them purposely. 

I have watched the season from the beginning so am aware of all that has transpired, although I do appreciate the recap. The questions I posted actually should have been in last weeks episode thread, because that is when they came to the forefront for me. 3 creatures we have never seen before nor heard of the Legends capturing were shown in that episode, which made me think, during that show, that other members of the TB were also out collecting magical creatures throughout time. Makes sense, since the Legends aren't the only ones at the Bureau who correct time, and that they didn't know what to do with them, not having a resident magic user on board. But then just call the Legends back to the office and have John do his thing. I just think a better in show explanation is needed in how they are proceeding.

1 hour ago, dingochick said:

Possibly unpopular opinion time....this episode was a big fat clunker for me. Maybe because it had a season one vibe or maybe I just can’t stand Hemingway, but I really think it’s Mona’s addition. I feel like she is the big Mary Sue fangirl and it bugs the crap out of me. 

Every other episode this season has been amazingly awesome but this one just felt weird. I did like moments with Nora and Ava, but the Mona thing was so irritating. I’m putting her in the Felicia Day scale, I think she is someone you either love or hate...in my case, and Mr. Dingochick’s, it’s not love. 

I am enjoying this season, but agree not as much as S2 or S3. At the start there was too much Gary, then too much Hank, and now Mona. 3 characters I am not warming up to. I am waiting to see where they are going with Mona. I didn't understand how she could be "shipping" Nora and Ray when she just met them, which makes me think she isn't was she says, and maybe is more aware of the Legends then she lets on?

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I love how most people think the Legends are embelezing money or hiding their real spending with stuff that is easier to explain like clothes for missions and food. When they could be spending it on video games and sexy lingerie. Lol. 

Speaking of which... hello, Sara!

22 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Hmm, I did not realize there were different places. Thanks.

I think there's a whole subdivision plan ;)

• Love 1

This felt like an end of a chapter for Nate. If not from the show, then definitely from the Waverider and it was rather effective too. 

I did like the way they dealt with him seeing Charlie and the advice he gave her at the end of this one as well.

The 1920s/Minotaur/Hemingway stuff with a side order of Hank singing worked a treat also. 

Sara in suspenders and Constantine doing naked yoga. Yup, this show knows its audience alright.

Gotta laugh at Gideon pointedly referring to herself as a member of the team as well. 

Mona worked far better in her scenes with Ray, Nora and Ava this week, so I found myself enjoying her a lot more. 8/10

• Love 3

Yeah, I’m also on the unpopular opinion side, at least regarding Mona.  Whereas last week I was in wait-and-see mode, this week I found myself gritting my teeth through nearly all of her scenes.  I liked Nora and Ava, but Mona was just really getting on my nerves.  

The rest of the episode, though, I really enjoyed.  And Sara looks really good in 20s clothing.  😄  Caity Lotz, for all her athleticism however, can apparently not run in high heels.  The scene where she’s running to try to make it through the portal behind Nate and Hank......hahahahahaha.  So awkward.  I rewound that more than once to make sure it wasn’t just running into the cake delivery guy, but no, she wasn’t handling those heels well. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, dingochick said:

I not sure why we even need a Mona on the show. It's hard to understand or see what role she'll play on the show long term. We already had Gary for comic relief as well. 

One problem I am having with this season is such a large cast. I feel like they are juggling too many people. 

• Love 6

I’m a little confused about this myself.  On the one hand, the special effects budget for the team, at least, seems to have been cut to almost nothing.  Zari rarely uses her powers since Witch Hunt, Mick has barely used his heat gun, and Ray hardly ever shrinks.  And Nate’s steel powers being expensive has already been discussed, and I have to wonder if that’s one of the reasons he’s being transitioned off the ship.

Add to that their jokes about ratings, budgets, and Nate’s speech about enjoying it however long it lasts, and that has all made me somewhat concerned about their future after this season.

But on the other hand, they have (apparently) all new Time Bureau sets, and they added two additional series regulars this season.  So.........I’m confused. 

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 6

I was so pleased to be getting rid of Nate, then I came here and learned that his daughter is sick.  I didn't want personal tragedy to be the factor that got him gone!  I hope his kid is all right.  That said, really glad Nate is gone or reduced to cameos.

Can Mona please follow him?  Part of this ep felt old school LoT, the part with the minotaur.  I really liked the show for the first time in several episodes, but the Mona character is unnecessary and grating, and yes, Felicia Day levels of off-putting.

I agree with the poster above that we need Gideon in human form on the ship.  I think the show, Andromeda, did that with their AI.  Plus give me Jonah Hex and I will stop bitching about Mona.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Goldmoon said:

I was so pleased to be getting rid of Nate, then I came here and learned that his daughter is sick.  I didn't want personal tragedy to be the factor that got him gone!  I hope his kid is all right.  That said, really glad Nate is gone or reduced to cameos.

Can Mona please follow him?  Part of this ep felt old school LoT, the part with the minotaur.  I really liked the show for the first time in several episodes, but the Mona character is unnecessary and grating, and yes, Felicia Day levels of off-putting.

I agree with the poster above that we need Gideon in human form on the ship.  I think the show, Andromeda, did that with their AI.  Plus give me Jonah Hex and I will stop bitching about Mona.

Nick Zanos screen time hasn't really changed. He was only absent for 4x4. Nate was always meant to join the Time Bureau & he's still getting screen time there.

I would love to have human Gideon as well but without Rip around a human Gideon loses some interest for me.

• Love 1

Also, not a fan of new Gideon, I liked her old look. Then again I am battling headache so who knows, maybe when meds wear off I’ll change my mind.

It’s funny how Stein and Jax were such big parts but I don’t really miss them, I guess with Z and Ava having meatier roles it’s okay, plus their story collided nicely, for the most part. 

Back on topic...just go, Mona. I don’t think a different actress would change my mind or a WTF twist, either. Just go. :) 

On 11/27/2018 at 4:44 AM, thuganomics85 said:

As always, lets hear it for Legends of Tomorrow: the only show in the entire universe that ends its mission of the week with a Minotaur wrecking a 1920s club in France, Sara punching Ernest Hemingway, the Fitzgeralds watching and drinking behind a bar during it all, and, of course, it all ending with Biff from Back to the Future serenading the Minotaur with some James Taylor.  There is truly no other show like it!

Glad that Nate was able to go back on the Waverider (and hopefully not for the last time), and enjoyed Hank playing off everyone as well.  I was surprised over how quickly they got the Charlie reveal out of the way, and Nate even accepted it pretty quickly, because seriously: finding out a shapeshifter turned into your ex and is stuck in her body really isn't the weirdest thing to happen on this show.  Glad they threw him a pizza party at the end.  Now if they could only do something about that whole unionizing thing...

Surprised that I enjoyed the Ava/Nora/Mona scenes.  Courtney Ford's reactions to all of the insanity was hilarious.  And I should have saw Ray popping up at the end.  I really do hope those two crazy kids make it work!

Constantine's American accent was hilarious!  I hope we get more of him and Charlie together, just mocking everyone else.

Not much of Zari in this one, but her patronizing arm pat after Mick's "impolitically correct" line was everything.  You could just see her thinking "Oh, buddy.  At least you're trying!"

Gideon constantly reminding everyone that she is a member too was a nice touch.  Show her the proper respect, dammit!

Glad Ray got a final bro-hug from Nate, but I hope the poor guy doesn't go hug-less for too long.  But I'm not sure Mick or Constantine would be down for that. 

And, finally, holy shit!  Caity Lotz in in that lingerie!  Now, that's an outfit that needs to make a return!

I know! Caity looked hawt as hell. Loved Avas reaction when she saw it 

1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I hope there is a way to write Nate's Dad in every few episodes.  I had so much fun watching him geek out over Hemingway, and his skepticism about the team. I don't know if Nate will be back, but I hope so,

Yeah, Hank is growing on me.  I like seeing how he and Nate always seem to come to understand each other a little better and respect each other a little more with each episode.  And Hank's sledgehammer approach to everything does actually fit in pretty well with the Legends' own general chainsaw approach.

I also have to say that I can see why everyone finds Mona annoying at this point. Like Gary, she tries way too hard to fit in as one of the cool kids, but I do think she has potential once the writers finally tone down her over-the-top bubbly personality and slight inability to read the room.

I loved the way Nora and Ava started relating to each other over the suckitude of their pasts.  I really don't think it will be long before Nora is released from the Time Bureau to pursue her own path.  And it goes without saying that watching her with Ray is one of the season's delights for me.  The way Ray's face lights up the moment he sees Nora and her rather reserved (in comparison) but definitely noticeable expression that clearly shows that she's having feelings for him, too, make me wonder to what extent Brandon and Courtney are acting in their scenes together -- I'm almost tempted to ask them on Twitter (since I follow both of them) whether the DahrkAtom scenes take them back to the days when they first discovered that they were in love with each other for keeps.

I also loved the scenes with Nate and Charlie.  I do wish we'd gotten to see the Legends explain about Charlie to Nate -- he seemed to be pretty accepting of the fact that there's someone aboard the Waverider now who looks like Amaya but most definitely isn't Amaya.  And I did love how at he end he even showed respect for Charlie by telling her that she, too, would eventually find her place among the Legends.

Lastly, naked Constantine and Mick with his usual zero-fucks-to-give attitude?  Keep it coming!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
On 11/28/2018 at 3:16 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

But isn't the reason John is on the ship to send all these creature to hell or back to where they belong, like he did with the unicorn and fairy god mother? Why are they detaining some? That is what has me confused.

I am a little confused about that as well. I feel like the last couple of episodes have involved either some retcons of the Legends mission vis a vis the magical beings or else some off-screen changes to their mission such that they are capturing them instead of exorcising them. 

On 11/26/2018 at 8:56 PM, Miss Dee said:

And for God's sakes, *don't* compare them to Ross and Rachel! Ross and Rachel sucked!!

I was thinking "That's such a Mona thing to do!"  Mona would have been into the superficial pair much more than the true romance of Overton and Sinclaire (oops, that's the better, earlier show) -- of course I mean Monica and Chandler.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:24 PM, Sakura12 said:

I think they are going by the monsters that are killing people go to hell, if they arent hurting anyone they are captured to not mess with the time line. 

That would work except that they specifically brought Baba Yaga into the prison, and she was infamous (in some versions) for eating children.  (I think they mentioned that in passing...)

6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I do wish we'd gotten to see the Legends explain about Charlie to

"So a shape-shifter stole the form of my ex-girlfriend and now she's stuck like this?  Must be Wednesday!"

On 11/28/2018 at 2:42 PM, Lugal said:

Salvador Dali's minotaur "ignore the melting clocks" and only Charlie recognizes it.  And if it was me, I'm keeping that napkin.

Everyone who knows one Dali piece knows "The Persistence of Memory", but it's hardly my favorite Dali piece.  I loved his dream visions in Spellbound, or "Portrait of Gala"...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jhlipton said:
On 11/27/2018 at 5:24 PM, Sakura12 said:

I think they are going by the monsters that are killing people go to hell, if they arent hurting anyone they are captured to not mess with the time line. 

That would work except that they specifically brought Baba Yaga into the prison, and she was infamous (in some versions) for eating children.  (I think they mentioned that in passing...)

She was trying to eat Chinese gymnasts...

• Love 1

Never in a million years, at the end of season one, would I have guessed this would end up my favourite of the four current Arrowverse shows. I stopped reading halfway down the first page just to post this because everyone had already said everything that needed to be, lol. I said last weeks was possibly my favourite episode of the series so far but I think they may have just topped it.

• Love 4
On 11/27/2018 at 3:21 AM, johntfs said:

Sara knows her people.  Constantine and Zari are both anti-authority and would clash with Hank.  Charlie is a fugitive unable to convincingly portray Amaya and Ray is sweet, honest and a very poor liar, again likely to spill the beans about Charlie.  While Rory isn't fond of authority either, he will follow orders and Sara's lead.

Also, Mick being somewhat of an old school "man's man", I thought she would expect him to fit in better with the 1920' crowd, even if it was in Paris and not the US.

• Love 1

Mick’s character has grown so much.  He went from a murderous thug to a reluctant team member, to Chronos, then to his midlife crisis stage where he betrayed the team for a bad time.  He’s now in the early retirement stage - drinking and embracing his life as an author.  

• Love 4