Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: The Final Flip

1 hour ago, BodhiGurl said:

I don't doubt Jeff is a douche, but I do feel his persona is just that, a persona that he kicks up his faults into high gear for the show. If he was that awful why would Gage stay with him? Why would Jenni return season after season - especially after having kids... anyway.. if this was truly the end of Flipping Out... oh well.

The answer to your question is Jeff is an abuser and he surrounds himself with people he can abuse.  It is a dynamic that plays out in many types of relationships both personal and professional.  As a caseworker I have worked with many abusers, including those in prison.  One thing that I learned is that abusers have an instinct that allows them to choose their victims.  They can walk into a room and instantly "know" which people are emotionally vulnerable, easy to manipulate and abuse.  Abusers are not "abusive" all the time.  They can be generous and loving during the "honeymoon period" only to suddenly strike out at their victims.  After an abusive incident, the abuser apologizes and the cycle starts again.  When you ask a victim why he/she stays in the relationship or job they often say my partner/boss is not always abusive most of the time they are great.  Over time the victim becomes accustomed to being treated that way.  Abusers are experts at chipping away the self esteem of their victims.

If you look at the people Jeff has employed over the years, they are all very passive.  They take a great deal of verbal and emotional abuse from Jeff.  On the other hand Jeff can be generous and tries to keep a "family" dynamic in the office with the group lunches and cocktails after work.  He even has his office in his home.  He does this to control his employees.  Jenni has been with him for years and has considered Jeff her boss, her friend and his family (she is the godmother to his daughter).  I think she stayed so long because of this.  Last night's episode  the viewers saw the light bulb go off in Jenni's mind.  "Jeff is not a friend to me and I need to get away from him".  It was a sad but hopeful realization for her.  She is losing a relationship that has been important part of her life but she is letting go of the toxicity.   

• Love 21

Jenni's Nic Cage story reminds me of when I was a kid and used to try to convince my friend's that I had been an extra in E.T..LOL

I can't imagine working in the environment that Jeff's team does.

All of a sudden there was some new guy and where was Cat? I can't keep up with all his assistants, associates and project managers.

Lea Black is a joke. I could get up there and spout some bullshit like that and call it a "seminar".

• Love 7
5 hours ago, mwell345 said:

Exactly - he could have just sent Megan -  and trusted his designer's decisions.  That's a big part of it too - trust - he might not like something she selects, but that doesn't mean she made a bad decision - it just means she made a different decision.   (At the very least, she could have sent him pictures of her choices prior to purchase for his approval). 

I have always assumed that the activities and tasks are performed by all of them together, for filming purposes.  They want to film the interaction between the personalities in places other than at JLD.  I also believe that is why the "office" is set up the way it is.  If the cameras would have to follow each person in and out of someone else's office, well, that wouldn't be very interesting or conducive to the flow of conversation?  I'm not a professional television producer/director, but I watch a lot of it, lol.

• Love 7

I think they were both way out of line. Just one showed it with yelling and the other with manipulation. Jeff should not have yelled at her like he did, but it was clear Jenni tried to take advantage of that with the whole "poor me he's so mean" act. What I find REALLY mean is claiming your "best friend" held you back from achieving your dreams. I'd be just as pissed as Jeff too if I was told that. I remember in the early seasons when he accommodated her auditions (yes, grumpily, but what do you expect? The gall of a boss expecting his employee to show up to work! And even still he was generous enough to let her miss work at the last minute. Many times. For seemingly little success). They've had many talks over the years about how he wants to support her dreams but he still needs an executive assistant. She wanted to have her cake and eat it too.

Her story about the Nic Cage movie was a desperate attempt to win the argument. He was right, but he was being mean, so she twisted the story so she could play martyr instead. And the lunch?? Really?! After telling your boss and best friend that he ruined your chance to achieve your dreams, you think that means 'oh well guess I'll keep working for you?' You just put up a giant shit fit over working for him. What other conclusion could Jeff possibly come to? 

Edited by mirrorrim
  • Love 19

Jenny never said it was Jeff’s fault she didn’t do well in her acting career. After Lea’s speech about where do you want to be? Jenny said she spent too much time working with Jeff and didn’t put the time into acting. In the car Jeff swore at her and screamed that she was a liar in front of staff and a client.

I’m no fan of Jenny, she is a mean girl like the rest and has little talent. But I think Jeff was wrong here. If we wait a year and check back we will see them living in another torn up house with another whole new staff. I also don’t agree that Jeff likes to nurture young talent. His idea  of nurture is to send people for lunch, have them run errands and not let them make a single decision on their own. Most professionals wouldn’t put up with that at all.

• Love 15

I am definitely open to the fact that we are manipulated by reality TV, but this breakup seemed real.  Foreboding editing aside, Jenni just looked different this year - and not just exhausted.  She looked depressed.  Maybe she's suffering postpartum depression?  I know she came close to saying that her career with JLD prevented her from going after her entertainment career, but I don't think that's what she meant.  Meanwhile, Jeff just seemed really triggered by this train of thought and went at her full bore.  I think a lot of you guys are right that there is probably a lot unknown to the viewers regarding their relationship and Jenni's role as EP that factored into this conversation.  And perhaps Jenni is feeling some kind of way about her lost talent potential (which is up for debate).

All that aside, Jeff is not an emotionally healthy person.  If Jenni is in a troubled space currently, dealing with Jeff is probably not the best situation for her.  Maybe they just need a break.  But I felt she was bullied much of this season.

Jeff seems to be going through employees at a much faster clip.  In previous seasons I thought there were 1-2 firings a season.  This year it felt like Survivor with somebody being let go each episode, and sometimes a double elimination. 

• Love 15

I enjoy Jeff but see all his many faults.  Jenni has her faults as well.  Remember in 2012 (I think) when she accepted an offer from a customer of JLD to stay at her beach home.  When the customer made the offer, Jeff declined, thinking that was an end to it, but Jenni accepted and she and her husband stayed there during her honeymoon and she kept it from Jeff.  It was a slimy thing for her to do and it created a huge rift at the time.  I think it's been convenient for her to blame her lack of success on her job with Jeff.  Now who will she blame?  Shades of "I could have been a contender!!!"

• Love 16

On his radio show, Jeff said that he also has a producer credit on the show.  That neither he or Jenni receive one cent more money or have any additional say at all.  It’s just  a title.  What I didn’t understand was why Jenni used the Nic Cage audition as an example of how working for Jeff has held back her acting career.  According to her, she never even mentioned the audition to Jeff, but decided on her own that Jeff wouldn’t let her take the time off so she didn’t even try.  So, how is that Jeff’s fault?  Jenni let that chance go without even trying.  I can’t help think that if it was really important to her she would have done it and fought to do it.  

Jeff also said Jenni made a very nice salary at Bravo.  I think she may have shot herself in the foot as well as taking Jeff down.

• Love 9

I think the only way that Jenni's Nick Cage story could be remotely true is if she had an opportunity to audition for the part but she would have had to be gone for two weeks when FO was filming if she got the part, so she didn't audition because she was contractually obligated to Bravo (or the production company) to film during those weeks.

There's no way that Jenni has been turning down acting opportunities to work for Jeff Lewis Design. I can believe that she had to not pursue some acting opportunities because they conflicted with her filming commitments on FO, and that now she regrets that.  I was way more on team Jeff in this argument than I expected to be.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 13
22 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Jeff will keep going through employees over and over because he has no respect for them and doesn’t want them to succeed. He has trouble even letting Gage pick out a light fixture. He lives to berate and bully people including his clients. He will never be more successful until he can stop treating his staff like crap and actually value and nurture their talent. And why is there so much eating in this show?

Jeff is an ass. He lets behavior go and even encourages it, and then goes for the jugular, all the while acting like the injured party. Let your employees know up front what you expect, and go from there. He and his employees are unprofessional, but he asks for it.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

On the other hand, I keep wondering if this wasn’t just a publicity stunt because this is the most interest anyone has had this show for awhile. 

I mentioned a few episodes ago that I believe its some sort of stunt too..

I can’t see how Jenni can be upset about being fired from a job she hasn’t done for several years.  She has not been an employee of JLD for several years so there is no financial penalty to her for being fired from a job she didn’t have or get paid for at JLD.

12 hours ago, DrivingSideways said:

Jeff firing Jenni over lunch was such a fuck-you to her.  Everything he said was accurate of course - it's his business and he needs people who are focused on it.  But he couldn't just apologize, full stop.  He had to exercise his ultimate control - financial - and cut her off.  Asshole.

8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have always assumed that the activities and tasks are performed by all of them together, for filming purposes.  They want to film the interaction between the personalities in places other than at JLD.  I also believe that is why the "office" is set up the way it is.  If the cameras would have to follow each person in and out of someone else's office, well, that wouldn't be very interesting or conducive to the flow of conversation?  I'm not a professional television producer/director, but I watch a lot of it, lol.

I believe a lot of what they do doesn’t happen in their day to day work.  I do not believe that they all go pick out a light fixtures on the regular.  In prior seasons, they did talk about eating lunch together to be more productive and work through lunch.   Also, the lunches with clients can be expensed.

I think it would be hard to find people with the skills he needs who also want to be on TV.  So he gets people with minimal skills who can be on TV.   He can’t say that on the show or it would break the 4th wall.  The same reason he can’t say - Jenni lets quit pretending you work for me and instead had to seem like he was offering her the opportunity to pursue her acting career 100% of the time.  He really did not seem like an ass during that lunch.  

I listen to his radio show and he seems like such a nice person on the radio.  I think we see the story of a jerk on the show since that is what is “funny” about the show.  I am not saying he doesn’t have moments but I think a lot of his flipping out is for drama.  I feel like this whole scenario with Jenni was also for drama.  I am sure they are still friends in real life and are just milking this for the publicity.

• Love 4

My relatively worthless two cents... I think perhaps Jenni was asked to submit a tape for the Cage project and was given some encouragement that she had a decent shot of being given a small role. With the short notice, however, knowing what a PITA Jeff is about scheduling and time off (he gets ticked off when employees come to work and sit down to drink coffee at 8 am instead of drinking it beforehand) she probably chose not to pursue it. She had most likely been building up the opportunity in her head the longer time passed and resented him more and more for it. She never gave him a chance to say yes or no, which isn’t fair to Jeff, but also to Jenni’s point how many times does history have to repeat itself before you finally learn not to put yourself in front of the firing squad? I felt awful for her being trapped in the car and laughed at and demeaned that way - by her boss, no less. I can’t imagine. 

• Love 15

I think the whole fight and "breakup" was fake. I agree with the poster who said Jenny wanted out of the show. She had such a difficult time getting pregnant with her last baby she probably wants to enjoy every moment she can with her kids. I think Jeff wants to go a different direction with the show and wants to shop his concept to other networks and didn't want to renew with Bravo. This was, imo, all for ratings - give the farewell ep big rating to help him sell the show elsewhere. Jeff was promoting the series finale hard on his radio show. If he was truly on the outs with Bravo and/or not trying to sell himself to another network he wouldn't give a crap about helping Bravo's ratings. Jeff does not have the authority to fire Jenny since she doesn't work for him, she works for Bravo, and only for the few months of filming that she's pretending to be Jeff's assistant. The supposed "new" project mgr was an actor brought in for a few episodes, imo. If Jenny has experience in acting it would be very easy for her to bring the tears, act upset. I don't think Jeff is as big an ass as he portrays on the show. His outrageous behavior is what brings in the viewers so he plays it up, he's playing a part. Judging by the way he treats his pets and the way he took care of his grandma I think he is a kind hearted man. Something has kept Gage around for 10 years. I don't think it's Jeff's money because as gorgeous as Gage is he would have no problem finding a man even more well off than Jeff if money was his end game.

I cannot stand Lea's voice, and especially that laugh! UGH!

I wish Monroe had been on this episode. I love the Monroe stories Jeff and Gage talk about his radio show. I'm going to be sad when my free trial of Sirius Radio is over and I won't have access to his show any longer (not going to pay for a subscription to listen to one show and Jeff is the only show I listen to on Sirius).

I hope he lands on another network. Always have been, always will be Team Jeff.

• Love 8
On 2018-11-20 at 9:01 PM, Juniebaby said:

Lea’s stupid laugh didn’t help either.  It made him feel like he was right and it was egging him on.  In the car everyone sided with Jen and tried to make her feel better and you know they hate to go against Jeff because they will feel the wrath of his humiliation.  He couldn’t just stop, he had to further her humiliation by firing the person who helped him get the show, the godmother to his child.  What a bitch move.  Jeff likes everyone to feel beneath him and since Jen also produces the show and married a wealthy dr. and has a beautiful family she is no longer beneath him.  She is at the very least on par with him and I don’t think he likes that.

jeff takes such pleasure in humilliating people.  I so agree he resents the fact that she has a successful marriage and family, it showed in the previous episode when she was buying that house that he had wanted and actually couldn’t afford .....he definitely believes he’s the better and more deserving person. He is losing friends and employees constantly through his actions.

• Love 4

Jeff has admitted to being a narcissist. I was in a somewhat relatively short relationship with one in which we lived together and he subsequently destroyed my entire life. He was a partner in a design studio and he was EXACTLY the same when it came to perceiving a weakness or slight in an employee. He would regale with me with stories of almost identical humiliating and demeaning situations he subjected employees to. They thoroughly enjoy taking someone down when they feel that they've been slighted in the least.

That lunch was about taking Jenni down a notch. That apology was perhaps as sincere as Jeff could possibly be. His statements from the start were only from a place of being slighted by Jenni. Loads of "I", "ME", but no compassion or empathetic statements that would be considered 'normal'. My breakup discussion was not unlike that lunch. Very matter of fact, to the point, and loaded with just enough to keep me down (I had rented an apartment out of town prior to our talk and informed him after his speech, then made him move my belongings and treat me properly for those last 2 weeks, so I kind of had a bit of a fuck you moment).

Jenni is not blameless in this. She shopped a show about working for a tyrannical boss and ended up taking a back seat to his show. She has made good bank on the show. But, I suspect at a good cost. 

Ultimately, I think that JLD is a highly dysfunctional and toxic work environment. I can't even imagine working at a big desk in one room with all other employees. People need space to behave, react, produce, and have some element of independence. That table is a pretty version of a grade school classroom setup. I don't think that it is for the benefit of production, I think that Jeff so deeply feels that need for control that he has to look at every single person he is signing a paycheque for to ensure that they are working. The group lunches at work, eww. No thank you. I sit in my car, leave, or sit alone on my lunch 90% of the time. Also, I don't want to eat El Pollo Loco every live long day of my life.

Jeff stated he needs to hire people who share his vision. Okay, but give them a fucking lunch and some breaks and maybe lay off on the group outings to the a lighting store. 

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

I so agree.  There are many great rappers, and she is not one of them.  Just because Andy loves it doesn’t mean everyone else does.  

Wasn’t her rapping geared to children like at birthday parties etc? I don’t believe for a second she thinks of herself as a serious rapper 🙄

Edited by endure
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, DrivingSideways said:

I really felt for Jenni in this episode.  My take:  Jeff has been shitting on her all season, and she has looked withdrawn and depressed (probably exhausted from the children).  She's been phoning it in, which pisses him off... vicious cycle.  So when she was caught unawares and answered about her career, Jeff was completely rude and dismissive - and then went in on her entertainment career, which is what triggered her. 

I think the SNL, Nic Cage, etc stuff is all kind of irrelevant.  Jenni is upset that not only does Jeff not really believe she could be a success (because I tend to agree with his opinion of her comic and rapping skills), but he's such a dismissive prick about it.  I think what she was saying is that she HAS had some minor success:  Andy's theme song, didn't she have a kid's rap album, etc.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that she could be successful.  She's been dealing with his attitude for years, but the way that he has to round up his Mean Girls (in this case, Lea, Meghan and the twink whose name I forgot), and have a panel discussion about how she sucks, was her breaking point.  

Jeff firing Jenni over lunch was such a fuck-you to her.  Everything he said was accurate of course - it's his business and he needs people who are focused on it.  But he couldn't just apologize, full stop.  He had to exercise his ultimate control - financial - and cut her off.  Asshole.

I think Jenni was mostly mad at herself for continuing to sell her dignity until the very end - sitting there and engaging with these assholes breaking her down who do not  give a shit, almost getting hit by a car after forgetting his day planner, etc.  She should have told him to go to hell early on in the episode and walked away.  Which is why all of the people in Jeff's orbit are complicit and toxic in his horrible behavior to some degree.

So I am Team Jenni here, but in the end, it's hard to feel bad for anyone who gets chewed up and spit out by Jeff (which is everyone).  You survive in his circle by just hoping you are not the victim du jour, and help him pile on that person.  When it eventually becomes you who is the feast, don't act surprised.

I agree with you,  i thought the way Jeff manipulated that phoney apology and attempted make up to her was so creepy then he totally blindsided her by firing her to just show her who has the power.  That was really sad and just confirms in my mind how far he will go when he feels slighted. He always has to have the last word.  I feel sorry for Gage and Monroe.

• Love 7

I don't think the fight and breakup was fake. Not with the yelling in the car between people that have been friends for 20+ years.  That was some hurtful, demeaning, accusatory stuff going on there. I also remember Jeff saying (maybe on WWHL) that when his grandmother died he didn't hear at all from Jenni, not even a text msg.  That fight and breakup was real. 

• Love 18

I think it's all real. The good - and bad - thing about Jeff is, he can't NOT run his mouth. Even as it gets him into trouble, he can't. shut. up. because he must be heard. He's been talking about this for months to his own detriment. He's always going and talking too fast to be discrete. And even when he tries, he'll wait 3 beats and say "Okay, I'll tell you." LOL. I think Jeff does everything out of an extreme fear of losing control, especially of the "family" he built. He doesn't hire people for their true skills, but moreso how they fit into his life. 

I don't know if he truly operates his business from home (I do believe so) but if it's as it looks, there's too much shit and too much togetherness and BS to get anything done for real. I remember Vanina (she escaped! lol) occasionally looking like "I wish they'd all STFU and let me work, I can't even think."

I haven't listened to any podcasts but I don't doubt he is charming and friendly there and in person. He targets those in his sight/life. Random people have nothing to fear. On the one hand you want to feel bad for people; on the other, Jenny has known who and what Jeff is for over a decade. At this point she's a volunteer, not a victim. Anyone who has joined him since the show started knew exactly who he was and signed up for it. It doesn't make him right, but it also doesn't make them his victims. 

If the show doesn't come back, I'll surely miss it my design and real estate porn. Oh, and it may not sound like it above, but I actually adore Jeff Lewis. 

Edited by SnarkKitty
  • Love 7

Agree on both sides and all the above AND you cannot say something is a “safe space” if you truly don’t mean it and plan to bring it up right after said meeting.  If it bothered him that much, it should’ve been a one on one conversation.  Whoever is left will NEVER want to express their true feelings in future “seminars.”  And yes, Leah Black can go any time.  She’s obnoxious AF.

Also, why is Megan still there?  Wasn’t paying close attention, but I thought she was done last week.

I’m not loving Valley Vista...liked Old Hollywood better but the railings looked cheap to me.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I don't think the fight and breakup was fake. Not with the yelling in the car between people that have been friends for 20+ years.  That was some hurtful, demeaning, accusatory stuff going on there. I also remember Jeff saying (maybe on WWHL) that when his grandmother died he didn't hear at all from Jenni, not even a text msg.  That fight and breakup was real. 

I agree.  Jenni's tears were real.  She's not that good of an actress, despite what "Nick" Cage might think.

• Love 4

I need to watch it again, cuz I was hella drunk, but I don't really have a ton of sympathy for Jenni.

Jenni has been right there by Jeff's side through years and years and years of him making fun of, yelling at, belittling, humiliating, and being downright cruel to MANY other staff members. And a lot of the time she giggled along or sided with Jeff when there was an ugly firing. But now when she is the target, NOW she cries foul and reports him. 

Also, Jenni is a grown woman who could have parted ways with Jeff any time she wanted if he was holding her back or mean to her. 

• Love 13
On 11/20/2018 at 11:04 PM, stewedsquash said:

So. 

Probably minority opinion here but I am completely on Jeff Lewis' side in calling Jenni's bluff. 

Go on now, you can devote 100% to acting. 

Glad that you won't be able to drag Jeff down in the process. 

I hope that he winds up with a show somewhere, hopefully Bravo, but I will follow him to wherever he winds up.

I’m watching this now.  I don’t believe Jenni.  If she got a serious movie offer, she’d tell Jeff.  And if she didn’t tell him because she was afraid of how he’d react, that’s not Jeff’s fault.   Adults have to be responsible for their lives.

Would Jenni ever have been considered for a movie if she hadn’t been on this show?

• Love 8
On 11/21/2018 at 9:08 AM, BlueMax said:

In regards to Jenni, the only thing that I have seen her in is a commercial for Stealth toilets.  That's a far cry from SNL and any big screen productions.  In regards to Jeff, the man is a self professed narcissist, why would you expect anything else from him?  I do have to admit, I ran into him at an airport terminal back in 2010 and he was as friendly as a person can be.  

Hope he didn't catch you asleep. He's been known to take pictures of sleeping people at airports and post it on social media.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:40 PM, Pattycake2 said:

On his radio show, Jeff said that he also has a producer credit on the show.  That neither he or Jenni receive one cent more money or have any additional say at all.  It’s just  a title.  What I didn’t understand was why Jenni used the Nic Cage audition as an example of how working for Jeff has held back her acting career.  According to her, she never even mentioned the audition to Jeff, but decided on her own that Jeff wouldn’t let her take the time off so she didn’t even try.  So, how is that Jeff’s fault?  Jenni let that chance go without even trying.  I can’t help think that if it was really important to her she would have done it and fought to do it.  

Jeff also said Jenni made a very nice salary at Bravo.  I think she may have shot herself in the foot as well as taking Jeff down.

Jenni only works with Jeff when filming. I think her whole Nicholas Cage thing was bullshit.  Or now that she has 2 kids and is married, she is frustrated that she is not free to pursue her career. Someone mentioned her age and it's true she is too old to think she will suddenly have an acting career.

Maybe Jeff was tired of Jenni fake working for him.  This past season she really didn't do anything but follow him place to place .  Also it was weird the episode she was talking about her Ex husband.  I wouldn't think her current husband would be happy with her bringing the ex up all the time.

• Love 2

My guess it’s someone from the Jersey Shore show. There are many versions of it and it’s been on around the same timeline they mentioned. Jenni Farley has had a lot of gossip out there...some of it Blind, so it wouldn’t surprise me. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

My guess it’s someone from the Jersey Shore show. There are many versions of it and it’s been on around the same timeline they mentioned. Jenni Farley has had a lot of gossip out there...some of it Blind, so it wouldn’t surprise me. 

YESSSS! That one makes sense. She and Roger just announced they're splitting up. I could totally see her having something else going on. 

• Love 1

I think if Lea had done more to shut down the conversation in the car the fight wouldn't have gone nearly as far as it did.  Jeff listens to and respects Lea and she was, especially when the discussion started going on the rails, really feeding into Jeff's reaction.  He wouldn't listen to Megan or Tyler trying to intervene, but if Lea had spoken up and encouraged them to take it offline, or take a time out or even told Jeff that he was being very mean to Jenni, it maybe would have calmed Jeff down.  Lea did try to stick up for Jenni eventually but it was too little, too late.

• Love 4

I finally watched this last night--and it felt to me like both the confrontation in the car and the meeting after where Jeff fired Jenni were set up, but also that maybe Jenni was not in on what exactly was happening.

It was interesting, in the opening, when they were starting the "last interview" with Jeff, he looked exactly like he did when he cut off Ryan years ago.   Head down, looked like he knew he'd crossed some lines in what he said in anger, but still justifying it.    Jenni, as a producer may have had a sense that her storyline with Jeff was going to be the end of season hook, but in looking at her while he was literally screaming at her that she was a liar, I do not think she's a good enough actress for that to have been a performance, nor do I think Tyler and Meghan would have pulled that off if it wasn't a surprise to them.

I can understand Jeff's side since Jenni has been part time since her first daughter was born, and with a second child I would imagine she is even less available to be there at his beck and call for meals, trips, drinks after work.     I can relate to her situation--mine is different in that I am within a couple of years of retirement and I've been in a key position at my work for 20 years---I've had that conversation with them, and this year they've begun taking some thing off my plate--to help with the eventual transition.   It is the right thing to do for them, but it can be hard to have once been a pivotal person--to not being so pivotal.     I think Jeff could have used Jenni in a different way in the time she IS there that would not left her feeling so lost once he changed to Tyler being his assistant.        What is really missing in his business is structure and consistency, and Jenni, having been at his right hand, KNOWS how to anticipate his needs, what his assistant should be doing, how they should be doing it.   He should have made her someone who would create some consistency for his other people, and who would train each person to do their work the way she knows he wants it done.   If they are project managing, come up with the routine she knows Jeff expects and work directly with the new person to "get" his process.     Not every person can create a plan--but a lot more people can follow one if someone else is defining the process.    As it is, I suspect she has or has had little real involvement in the business since her kids were born--and I think Jeff formally changing her title this season left her hanging out there so even when she was there---she was not sure how to step in.

I think the movie part probably got bigger in Jenni's mind as she was less happy at work--and the way she explained it--eventually Lea got her to put it more clearly, but I could see how the original way she put it set Jeff off and he kind of admitted that later.   

I also give props to Meghan for standing up for Jenni and repeatedly saying to Jeff that it was not ok to be saying the things he said to her.    He essentially pushed her out the same way because she was splitting her attention to take on her own clients--even tho clearly--he referred people to her -which is a little confusing if he wants her to be 100% committed to his business.

I knew the architect guy was not going to make the cut--he looked like a deer in the headlights every time they had office drama.    I think Tyler will last-  he is the type of guy Jeff likes, and he seems willing to put up with the teasing.

Jeff and Jenni have broken up before--over her taking perks from his clients when he didn't know, and over her book, so I am not sure I'd write this off---but I believe she was truly hurt to the core--and seeing her on WWHL about a week ago, she still seemed very guarded and hurt but was trying to be ok --to not say anything damaging long term.      In the end, maybe they will just be friends--maybe her girls can play with Monroe or something to give Monroe some outside social contact.

And I suspect I'm alone in this, but I actually like Lea Black--she puts on this flighty snarky persona on these shows, but I think underneath she is pretty smart and effective.   She and Roy Black married later in life and she did have successful business experience, and I also think she's got a good read on people despite the personality she puts on.      I know she won't but I would not pay for that consult at the lighting store--she had to sit through all that fighting and bullshit--4 people came to look for lighting and she ended up finding the best light herself and having to call it to Jeff's attention.

If Jeff's business doesn't grow, it will be on Jeff.   He is the one who i not starting his people off well and giving them clear training and expectations and I think he uses his employees like a substitute family--he needs an audience.   If you want to take on more projects and opportunities, you can't be taking five people to every meeting and shopping trip.   You are the one who makes decisions, you may need ONE assistant to take notes and record things for you but taking a car full of people everywhere you go--is pointless and it's no wonder people don't show initiative or know what they're supposed to be doing--most of the time, they're being Jeff's audience. 

I don't know if I want to see this show picked up as is--I love the real estate porn, I like both Jeff and Gage, but this season has felt really empty and false--(not that I didn't know they stage a lot of things for Bravo).   I'd like to know the source of the story that Jenni somehow cost Jeff the show--that she filed some sort of harrassment claim --when she clearly denied that on WWHL.     Was that part of the setup for the season?     

• Love 3

I really felt Jenni was looking for sympathy at that lunch when she tried to make it sound like she didn’t go on auditions over all these years because Jeff would never have allowed it. That what set Jeff off. If she was that into being an actress then quit your overly demanding job and go do it. Last I checked she was never an indentured servant to Jeff and HAD to work for him. Utter passive aggressive crap. Did Jeff then go on the attack, yes, but she started it and you could tell she was pissy as hell. I feel zero sympathy for her and the Nic Cage thing, yep, lie. I think she is too old now to pursue acting, realizes her time has come and gone and wants to blame him. Sorry girl but your life is a cumulative of your choices, Jeff Lewis is not the reason your dreams were not fulfilled. 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, sadie said:

I really felt Jenni was looking for sympathy at that lunch when she tried to make it sound like she didn’t go on auditions over all these years because Jeff would never have allowed it. That what set Jeff off. If she was that into being an actress then quit your overly demanding job and go do it. Last I checked she was never an indentured servant to Jeff and HAD to work for him. Utter passive aggressive crap. Did Jeff then go on the attack, yes, but she started it and you could tell she was pissy as hell. I feel zero sympathy for her and the Nic Cage thing, yep, lie. I think she is too old now to pursue acting, realizes her time has come and gone and wants to blame him. Sorry girl but your life is a cumulative of your choices, Jeff Lewis is not the reason your dreams were not fulfilled. 

I totally agree, Sadie.  

What I don't understand is after it was revealed that Jenny is a Bravo plant, doesn't work for JLD and hasn't for a few years, why did she pretend her part time appearances filming FO prohibited her from pursuing her dream?     When she worked for him, he let her go on auditions.  And why did Jeff appear to fire her if she didnt work for him?   I think a lot of this was staged and the editing was misleading. 

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3

Here is why I totally call 100% bullshit on Jenni's Nicolas Cage story:

Girlfriend hocked herself out to sell some shitters.

Had any single bit of that garbage she tried to sell were true, she would have literally been gone, tires screeching, as Jeff called her on it. 

He knows her in a way that none of us will never. He called it.

None of this was good. I didn't want to ever see anything like that. It harkens back to when he was berating Zoila repeatedly every episode. I did not like that, and at times it brought me to tears. 

If this is it, I will genuinely miss the house porn. I like the storylines and the people, but I genuinely love decorating shows and have always loved his design aesthetic. I'm pissed that Home Depot Canada doesn't carry a single one of his items. I'm not crossing the border at present, so this pisses me off even more.

• Love 6
On 11/21/2018 at 10:02 AM, BodhiGurl said:

I haven't kept up with Flipping Out over the past few seasons, but I was there at the beginning and watched the episode last night. I felt it was much ado about nothing, given all the foreshadowing and gossip rag articles ahead of this airing. I thought their "breakup" was going to be shocking. It wasn't. It was just another day in the life of Jeff Lewis Designs, where he plays up his passive-aggressive, or just downright aggressive, smart arse personality for ratings. Knowing that Jenni doesn't really "work for him", rather, is employed by Bravo and works "with" Jeff, just adds to my side-eye. And the way he handled the supposed "I'm letting you go" scenes were very professional, and if true, accurate. He's "letting her go" (even tho she's not his employee) to pursue her "dream". Honestly, I felt this episode was dripping in reality-scripted shenanigans. She wanted out. They came up with this "storyline" for ratings. I briefly watched the replay of WWHL after the show, she was on it and denied going to Bravo to complain of abuse by him... which adds to the "let's pretend we're falling out, so you can leave the show, and we can get ratings" theory I have. And her crocodile tears during her talking heads... Pfffft... I don't doubt Jeff is a douche, but I do feel his persona is just that, a persona that he kicks up his faults into high gear for the show. If he was that awful why would Gage stay with him? Why would Jenni return season after season - especially after having kids... anyway.. if this was truly the end of Flipping Out... oh well. Maybe they can retool the show and bring him back if they all make nice (they being Bravo/Jeff). I don't think a show featuring Jenni will do well. I'm not sure what she brings to the yard. And I liked her back when it was a new show, and scripted reality wasn't a thing (probably less fond of her once it got out that she actually didn't work for him, and was only working with him during the show filming).

Absolutely agree with you.  I thought it was all fakedy fake scripted drama.   

• Love 3
12 hours ago, AnnA said:

I totally agree, Sadie.  

What I don't understand is after it was revealed that Jenny is a Bravo plant, doesn't work for JLD and hasn't for a few years, why did she pretend her part time appearances filming FO prohibited her from pursuing her dream?     When she worked for him, he let her go on auditions.  And why did Jeff appear to fire her if she didnt work for him?   I think a lot of this was staged and the editing was misleading. 

AnnA the more I’ve thought about it I’m thinking maybe a bit of Jennis problem is this: she originally pitched this show to Bravo, she was supposed to be the star, well Jeff’s talent and wild personality is the one that took off and girlfriend is mad now that it’s ending. Without JLD she would be a big nobody (not that she’s some huge star but she’s more well known than she would be without him). Even without this show Jeff has mad design talent and will continue in the orbit of the rich and beautiful and Jenny now goes back to a non entity. Too bad she can’t just be happy she has a nice husband and kids, I think she has always wanted stardom and just never had the “star power” to make it happen. I too think this was staged to some extent but some of it just rang true as I don’t think she’s that good an actress. 

• Love 12

I read so much about this episode before I ever saw it and read the comments here before I watched it, so I was all prepared that this fight to end all fights was what broke up the friendship. I was surprised to realize that Jenny was not done with Jeff. She thought the conversation at the restaurant was to kiss and make up. The real deal-breaker was Jeff letting her go. So whatever has been said about Jeff going too far this time is not true. 

I don't know whether Jenny really filed a complaint, lawsuit against Jeff for his hostile work environment, but when there's video footage of your devastation at being let go when you intended to keep working there, that wouldn't seem to help your case.

Or maybe I'm not awake enough yet to be posting and need to drink some coffee.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 5
On 11/21/2018 at 10:02 AM, BodhiGurl said:

I haven't kept up with Flipping Out over the past few seasons, but I was there at the beginning and watched the episode last night. I felt it was much ado about nothing, given all the foreshadowing and gossip rag articles ahead of this airing. I thought their "breakup" was going to be shocking. It wasn't. It was just another day in the life of Jeff Lewis Designs, where he plays up his passive-aggressive, or just downright aggressive, smart arse personality for ratings. Knowing that Jenni doesn't really "work for him", rather, is employed by Bravo and works "with" Jeff, just adds to my side-eye. And the way he handled the supposed "I'm letting you go" scenes were very professional, and if true, accurate. He's "letting her go" (even tho she's not his employee) to pursue her "dream". Honestly, I felt this episode was dripping in reality-scripted shenanigans. She wanted out. They came up with this "storyline" for ratings. I briefly watched the replay of WWHL after the show, she was on it and denied going to Bravo to complain of abuse by him... which adds to the "let's pretend we're falling out, so you can leave the show, and we can get ratings" theory I have. And her crocodile tears during her talking heads... Pfffft... I don't doubt Jeff is a douche, but I do feel his persona is just that, a persona that he kicks up his faults into high gear for the show. If he was that awful why would Gage stay with him? Why would Jenni return season after season - especially after having kids... anyway.. if this was truly the end of Flipping Out... oh well. Maybe they can retool the show and bring him back if they all make nice (they being Bravo/Jeff). I don't think a show featuring Jenni will do well. I'm not sure what she brings to the yard. And I liked her back when it was a new show, and scripted reality wasn't a thing (probably less fond of her once it got out that she actually didn't work for him, and was only working with him during the show filming).

YES to everything.  If Jenni was that talented, she would have made it already.  Jeff goes into high gear bullying for the camera, (I think).

• Love 6