Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Flesh Wounds Are Not Five-Star

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I just watched the preview of the man-overboard situation.  A couple of observations:

• There is a scene of Chandler running so it may have happened after he was fired but before he had a chance to leave the boar.
  • When the captain is talking about making a split, we are shown a still of Chandler, and then one of Riley.  They are seated next to each other.  (Chandler's shoulder is the clue).  Could be he was talking to both of them. 
  • It appears Riley is the female on deck when the deckhand goes overboard. Just speculation, but she could have got her rear chewed out which is why she's being as disrespectful to Ross as she was to Chandler.
  • The person who went overboard doesn't look like Ashton.  Hard to say for sure given how quickly things moved, but I wonder if it's someone else.
  • Riley isn't in the scene where Kate tells the person behind the door she has to leave in an hour.  
Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

Edit: saw a video with everyone going back to the yacht after the beach event, and the two kids do not have their life preservers on,

That is so beyond acceptable. That is one of those non-negotiable things (and TBH the adults should really be wearing them as well.)

• Love 15

Do not mean to keep harping about the no vests but everyone should have had vests on, I mean come on there are reefs all over and it is hard enough for those deckhands to navigate in daylight let alone the dark.  Can you imagine if something had happened in the pitch dark.  I would like to know which deckhand was driving them back, I hope it was not Ross because he is my favorite.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, 1SimonMom said:

mean come on there are reefs all over and it is hard enough for those deckhands to navigate in daylight let alone the dark.  

They weren’t navigating that area in the dark. They took a bus to the dock and then the tinder to the boat so no shallow reefs.

• Love 2
On 11/21/2018 at 1:16 AM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Not to mention she kept mentioning she thought she was getting sick and doing a gag-inducing cough? Get thee the fuck away from my children, you verklempt hypochondriac. 

I don't think she really thought she was getting sick. That's just how her anxiety manifests. She has such a poor understanding and control of her anxiety issues that she can't stop herself from saying "I think I'm getting sick." Captain Lee understood, which is why he told her to take her time and breathe.

But I agree that she had no business grabbing that poor boy's face and kissing  him. 

• Love 12

Life vests - aside from the safety issue, in an earlier episode, when the family first boarded, Captain Lee gave CLEAR and EMPHATIC orders that the kids were not to EVER, EVER, EVER be outside without the vests.  The order was definitive, absolute and left no doubt, except maybe to Chandler?

It probably had to do with taking the vans to the dock.  Kids don't need life vesfs in vans.  IF the lack of vests was noticed at the dock, "somebody" (ahem)  probably decided it was too much trouble to go back to the dinner area to pick them up.

Just my speculation.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 9
On 11/20/2018 at 10:33 PM, TexasGal said:

Sally Draper, is that you?  😃

As an aside......I never did see the Mad Men series when it was on. Hubby and I binge watched on Netflix and finished the series a few weeks ago. I'm STILL reading the PTV 25 page finale thread in between other show forums. Thought I was on the wrong page for a moment there. LOL.

• Love 2
On 11/24/2018 at 9:51 AM, Skycatcher said:

Where can I find the  Below Deck After show?  I tried "on demand" but all they have are the regular shows.

ETA: Found it. Just Google "Below Decks After Show". There's a series of about 14 vignettes of interviews. Fun.

Thanks!  Those are a blast.

Favorite line  ---

Producer:  "What can Chandler do to improve?"

Kate:  "QUIT!"

• Love 11
On 11/25/2018 at 6:34 AM, biakbiak said:

They weren’t navigating that area in the dark. They took a bus to the dock and then the tinder to the boat so no shallow reefs.

And it was the first mate guy, we don't see...what's his name...who drove the tender. And the kids forgot their life jackets on the beach...remember Kate putting one on and telling Josiah to put the other one on??

• Love 2
On 11/20/2018 at 7:37 PM, jumper sage said:

I would have even called for someone to bring up a broom, dust pan and whatever else needed to clear, and make sure it's cleared, the glass.

Indeed.  I think if no one was around, Caroline should have rung up Capt. Lee, advised him of the broken glass and that the passengers were expected back any minute - could he either please bring her a broom so she didn't need to leave it or come down and be on hand to greet the guests and advise of the hazard?  I have no doubt Capt. Lee would have either sent someone from the engine crew to assist or come himself in such circumstances.

• Love 4

Caroline is so completely overwhelmed that it stresses me out to watch her. She did appear to radio the captain but didn't follow procedure with the whole "captain captain caroline" to initiate. she just mumbled. And isn't there a hose right by those stairs since it is where they bring equipment back on the boat and have to wash off the salt water? If she had actually gotten a hold of someone or been more aware of what was around her she could have snagged the hose and washed the glass off quickly.

Chandler is an idiot whose experience has likely all been on his daddy's boat where he didn't actually have much responsibility beyond the title. He is completely inept at managing himself let alone others. I can't wait to see him be demoted or fired. 

I have never minded Kate - yes she has always been a bit mean girl - but her work ethic has always been top notch. This season I am loving her even more as she has an effortless calm. The other thing I highly respect that I have noticed on other seasons is that she never argues or feels the need to be right in the moment when things need to get done. She didn't correct Chandler when he told her to say please after she literally did. She also would let Ben give orders or have another stew handle something and Kate would just let it go and get it done. And I love the snarky recaps that she gives after! 

Wasn't it just last season that Kate requested help so that she could spend a non-charter day training her newbie staff? And Cap got temps to do the stew work prepping the boat. The problem is that Caroline is not retaining anything and Kate has superstar Josiah to help so it is not worth her energy. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that many Caroline conversations are far longer and most ended on the cutting room floor. 

Edited by slaterain
  • Love 10

Kate has changed over the years and I do like her more lately and that is mostly because her action have been warranted the last few years. Kate always seems to have an issue with a stew, season 2 she treated Amy like crap, season 3 Rocky was terrible, season 4 was it Sierra ?, season 5 Jen, and season 6 Caroline. Out of the five only Amy was treated badly by Kate for no reason but lately the friction has been more than justified, Jen & Caroline brought it on themselves by being not only inept at their jobs but bringing it on themselves with their attitudes. I did not think at the time anyone could top Rocky for worst stew but Caroline has, I don't remember Rocky be a horrible worker.

• Love 4
On 11/27/2018 at 8:50 AM, Carolina Girl said:

Indeed.  I think if no one was around, Caroline should have rung up Capt. Lee, advised him of the broken glass and that the passengers were expected back any minute - could he either please bring her a broom so she didn't need to leave it or come down and be on hand to greet the guests and advise of the hazard?  I have no doubt Capt. Lee would have either sent someone from the engine crew to assist or come himself in such circumstances.

22 hours ago, slaterain said:

She did appear to radio the captain but didn't follow procedure with the whole "captain captain caroline" to initiate. she just mumbled. And isn't there a hose right by those stairs since it is where they bring equipment back on the boat and have to wash off the salt water? If she had actually gotten a hold of someone or been more aware of what was around her she could have snagged the hose and washed the glass off quickly.

I don't know if Captain Lee has a separate radio channel for him alone. However, we've clearly seen him listening to the main radio channel and complaining about how the crew isn't answering their radios. If Caroline was using the main channel and no one responded, it's actually an indication that Chandler once again didn't have his radio with him or on. Had he had his radio on, Chandler could have let Captain Lee know that Caroline was trying to reach him.

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, Skycatcher said:

Life vests - aside from the safety issue, in an earlier episode, when the family first boarded, Captain Lee gave CLEAR and EMPHATIC orders that the kids were not to EVER, EVER, EVER be outside without the vests.  The order was definitive, absolute and left no doubt, except maybe to Chandler?

It probably had to do with taking the vans to the dock.  Kids don't need life vesfs in vans.  IF the lack of vests was noticed at the dock, "somebody" (ahem)  probably decided it was too much trouble to go back to the dinner area to pick them up.

Just my speculation.

You know who has the ultimate responsibility to make sure their kids have on the life jackets??...

Yes, the parents. {this isn't directly at you skycatcher, just in response to the various comments about lack of lifejackets}

• Love 5

Gotcha DrSparkles. I was, of course, speaking of crew responsibilities. If they were my kids there's no way we'd leave the dock without the vests. We'd probably have some pissed off crew members if the vests were back at the dinner area  but tough nougies. Boat+kids=vests.

• Love 5

I dropped a light bulb this evening.  I was more proactive and careful about making sure my dogs didn't step in broken glass than Caroline was about the kids.  Of course while I was cleaning up broken glass one of my dogs was eating cookies out of my purse and now has an upset tummy, so I'm still a fuck up.  

• Love 12

I just re-watched this OnDemand, and Chandler very clearly DID NOT drop her drunk ass.  He set her on the sand, she stepped onto the slippy path, and THEN she fell.  I can't imagine why she would blame him, unless she was just embarrassed that she fell.

I think he's an asshole, but he did not drop her, so I don't blame him for not apologizing.  I guess he could have said "I'm sorry your drunk-ass fell, after I safely set you on the sand"

I hadn't realized that the WHOLE crew got a portion of the tip until I finally did the math.  So, the captain, first officer, chief engineer, 2nd engineer, all share in the tip.

• Love 3