Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Flesh Wounds Are Not Five-Star

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Jextella said:

That is hysterical.  I'm glad they are watching and confirmed the buffoonery.  Although, I'm starting to feel bad for Chandler.  This could be career-ending....or make someone so depressed they do something drastic.  I think Bravo has to watch this kind of thing a little more closely.  One day it's gonna happen.

I said the exact same thing tonight as I watched. I feel very sorry that Chandler and Caroline’s immature ineptitude and fuckery have been forever captured on camera and displayed for all to see. Of course this has happened with others throughout the seasons, but for some reason it has really struck me this time around. Caroline appears to have true mental health issues. Chandler just seems to be in way over his head with a healthy dose of entitlement to keep him from realizing how incompetent he currently is; we’ve seen the likes of him before on this show. 

The world is too mean spirited at the present and in response I seem to be getting softer, more empathetic....clearly too much so if I am concerned about two ill behaving brats on a reality show! 

• Love 13

On the kid getting a cut, something seems off.  Caroline radioed that there were broken glass and she went back to the galley before the guests arrived on the boat.

Then as they go up the stairs they see the glass and remark on it and the next thing they show is the little kid crying?

Seems like they were warned or at least the Captain and Chandler who were helping them off the tender should have been warned.

It's not like she dropped the glasses and didn't warn anyone.  So what did they do, let the kid run up ahead of everyone else?

Or did they know there was broken glass but thought they could see all of it and was going to try to walk around it?  In that case, one of the adults could have picked up the kids.

Seems like it might have been edited in a certain way to amp up the drama.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I did like how Caroline interacted with the children. She was all kinds of sweet to them. 

I'm probably in the minority but I saw her hugging and kissing those kids on the face as pretty inappropriate.  Not in a weird way but in a lack of boundaries kind of way.  I think the way Kate and Josiah and the rest of the crew interacted with the kiddos was far better.  I would be taken aback if someone who was a stranger to my kids grabbed them for a big hug and squeezed them while smooching their faces and would have likely said something.  

Edited by nr65000
  • Love 24
8 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Those kids were adorable and so well behaved. Caroline did radio about broken glass to captain so no I won't blame her for handling it bc as a mom (or childcare professional)  it comes with experience.  Normally I would run off to get clean up gear/vacuum. But after having kids, I know you NEVER walk away from broken glass unless they're explicitly contained elsewhere before you begin. 

Caroline is not only frazzled but her responses are so fuc*ing annoying and call attention to the fact that any little thing is an EFFORT on her part - it shouldn't be that way!  Even if it's hard or you don't know how to do it, say "no problem! Sure I can!" She comes off pathetic. Didn't she ever hear the expression "fake it til you make it"!? I know she liked that little boy but the way she coughed one minute then smooched all over him the next was grimy. I don't like virtual strangers touching or kissing my kids! She was too much with it and parents seemed taken aback.

I like Josiah. He's chill and capable and so pretty.  Adorable when calling his sister and niece. 

I feel Chandler and Kate are both on xanex or something . They fought but somehow it's the calmest fight I've ever seen. Chandler should walk around like Caroline for the amount of shit he's in and how much he's messed up. But hes alwaysy so calm and clueless.  What's in that ice cream?!

I rarely post but had to second this. I thought she was waaaaaaaaaayy out of line with the kissing the guest’s child. I would have been very upset by this as a parent. I do not let strangers touch - let alone kiss - my child. I don’t even let family members hug or kiss my kid without asking her first  and getting her permission. Caroline had that boy’s face in a vice grip.  It was super aggressive and inappropriate. I understand she felt bad but the response was not appropriate. 

• Love 20
2 minutes ago, jkitty said:

Caroline had that boy’s face in a vice grip.  It was super aggressive and inappropriate.

This is right in line with her manic responses to anything. It's all so extreme all the time. 

Kate is fast with service and accurate. But I don't think I've ever seen her run. Caroline runs everywhere. Yet somehow nothing is done right...except maybe cabins and folding laundry.  She shouldn't be on service.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

and folding laundry.

And apparently not even that because it was mentioned that it was disorganized more than once and that she kept losing people’s laundry. 

I could not be comfortable being on that boat with Caroline, not that she would put me in danger though her frazzled manner in handling the broken glass indicates that she isn’t good in an emergency, because she is such a bundle of frazzled nerves that the energy coming off of her would be super annoying to be around.

• Love 12

A couple quick observations:

• Chandler has to be the worst bosun ever on the OG Below Deck, I can not whether that includes BD Mediterranean because I totally dislike Capt Yawn and some other regulars to watch it.  Anyways he seems to think he is more entitled than even Nico and that says alot.
  • I noticed when the guests were departing that Chandler only has 2 stripes and Kate has 3 stripes so I think she outranks him, he is not the First Mate so can Kate boss him around.
  • The way that Chandler threw out all that food, my gosh the leftovers for a midnight snack - what a waste of food and again shows his laziness, his dislike for women since Kate told him to put it in tupperware containers but then that would takes precious minutes from him eating his ice cream.  Newsflash little boys only get ice cream for good behavior and you were not a good boy.  Also, Chandler if you are reading this but I do not think you can read, for ice cream to thaw defrost for 15 second interval.
  • Did you all see Caroline face when Capt. Lee said that Kate had the deck crew for as long as she wanted, her face was like wah when I want them to do something I don't get my way, there goes Kate getting her way again.  Guess what the deck crew had to help because you are just lazy, sulking and the list could go on
  • Can you imagine if Kate had gotten her wish and Caroline and Chandler had a kid

Happy day before Thanksgiving

• Love 19
12 hours ago, ghoulina said:

He took his entire crew back from the island, leaving interior to clean up the mess. He didn't even tell anyone the new plan captain came up with. 

Didn't the Captain order the deck crew back?  I remember thinking that was odd when I heard him do it. But there's no way I can watch that shitshow again to verify my impression.

ETA: OK, I  Went back and found the Captain's radio, at 32 minutes in......

"Chandler, Chandler, Lee.........I want you and everybody else in the boats to head back now.....leave 'em (the guests) there on the beach, I'm sending vans to pick 'em up."

When asked by Ross if they hould double check that nothing is... [garbled],  Chandler says "No, leave everything. Let's just get back."

11 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Chandler, I gave you every opportunity but you are a not your father, unless he’s also an arrogant asshole.

I've been wondering if the father has been watching. Does he see his son as the inglorious fuckup that he is or is he one of those parents who supports their kid no matter what the truth is and only sees that those peons are not respecting his precious boy.

11 hours ago, hoosiermommy said:

It appeared to me that Caroline was radioing the crew about the broken glass. If so, I can’t fault her. It could also be editing monkies....

Yeah, the editing on this was very wonky. Caroline DID radio about the glass. Where were the rest of the crew and why didn't  they take steps to protect the guests.   Granted the mess was hers, but first things first - protect the guests.  I can almost see the director telling the mom, "OK, now if you'll just run the kids up these stairs......"

10 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

As opposed to Caroline, Rhylee IS being bullied and unfairly targeted by her boss. I don’t blame her for losing it with Chandler....

Chandler has been riding Rhylee's butt since day one.  It's almost as if he wants her gone so he can get another "swinging dick"* on his crew.  I am sure that being the asshat misogynist that he is, in his mind women have no place on a deck crew.

I get a special satisfaction knowing her having been a fishing boat captain must chap his hide bloody raw! 

ETA:  Come to think of it that's probably why he's being so hard on her, to prove he's the better man. LOLOLOL (cough, hack, wheeze)

* I'm still cracking up over the Captain's use of that phrase.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 15

If I could make 2 script changes for last night. One would be instead of Rhylee arguing with Chandler I would have her mop the deck with his prick face. I would have the primary offer the tip on the condition that the bumbling asshat of a bosun and the shivering Chihuahua of a stew receive not one cent. I have absolutely no empathy for either of them.

• Love 11
On 11/20/2018 at 10:37 PM, jumper sage said:

The interior, specifically Kate and Josiah, are doing a FANTASTIC job.  I am convinced they are the reason for the tip.  I am glad that Captain Lee notices that Chandler is the weakest link on the exterior.

Josiah and Kate really do make a perfect team!  I would love if they sack Caroline and bring back Amy!  That would be a stew dream team!

Edited by checkmeboo
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Plus she took blame for the incident and apologized to all concerned.

Right. As much of a clusterfuck as she is, she seemed genuinely upset about what happened to the little boy. Chandler was just all, "Meh, I was having a hectic day. Sorry about your bad luck."

9 hours ago, PaperTree said:

There may not be any replacement available.  And he certainly brings the FUBAR reality shows thrive on.

Sure there is (a replacement for Chandler) - Ross. Kick Chandler off the boat, promote Ross, and hired any random dude with decent arms you find hanging out in town to be the 4th deck crew member. I'm convinced a monkey could do a better job at this point. 

8 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

I am so happy that I’m not alone on this. If she started kissing my son’s face, I would have told her to back the “f” off and I’m pretty chill as a parent.  If you’re not mommy/daddy/grandma/auntie,   keep you’re lips off the kid.

And even then.....no one should just be kissed without permission. I'm not a fan of relatives forcing affection either. 

8 hours ago, Luciano said:

Ashton being so happy that he had to follow Kate's orders really endeared him to me. That and whistling while washing the dishes.

Ashton is a hard worker who is confident in who he is. There's no ego. He's fine taking orders - as long as the orders are clear and sensible. I think they were all relieved to have someone take charge that actually knew what the fuck they were doing. 

• Love 21

I'm still bewildered at how Caroline got this stew job to begin with. Who interviewed her? did she have any experience? I'm so tired of these 3rd stews that don't know how to do the basics like make coffee, juice, cocktails, do laundry. Is it so difficult to check on someone's credentials, references, etc.... 

• Love 16
11 hours ago, Emmeline said:

How is it possible that they do not have any orange juice ready in the morning?  On previous season I thought they sometimes made it the night before.

I can’t believe I defending Chandler on the guest drop but, to me it looked like he set her down in the sand and then she stepped onto that slippery strip of rock.  That particular guest is a “B”.

What did Caroline do?  Drop the glass and walk away.  

Now that was interesting because I always wondered if the captain gets part of the tip, now I know.

I loathe Chandler but I saw the same thing, he dropped that woman off in the sand and she stepped up onto the slippery walkway. He should have rushed to help her though... he's useless. I loved seeing Kate ride his arse ... that was awesome. Caroline is the worst and it looks like in the next episode she goes beyond full nutter... why did they cast her? Ugh. I guess the upside to this season is very little coworker hookup action outside of that Ashton/Rhylee scene earlier in the season (and well, per the previews, looks like Rhy or Caroline hook up with someone on the deck crew...eegads...)

• Love 13
1 hour ago, nr65000 said:

I'm probably in the minority but I saw her hugging and kissing those kids on the face as pretty inappropriate.  Not in a weird way but in a lack of boundaries kind of way.  I think the way Kate and Josiah and the rest of the crew interacted with the kiddos was far better.  I would be taken aback if someone who was a stranger to my kids grabbed them for a big hug and squeezed them while smooching their faces and would have likely said something.  

You're not alone. It mortified me and I don't even have children to put myself in the shoes of those parents. She's kookoo for cocoa puffs to begin with, so inappropriate of her to run up to that little boy and grab his face, and kiss him... and she was all sorts of frantic while she did it. Bothered me for sure... Now, perhaps she had more interactions with the kids that we did not see, but honestly - her energy was chock full of anxiety and nuttiness so, I do think it was inappropriate.

I thought this set of charter guests had to be one of the best any of the BD shows have had. Given all the f' ups they had to deal with at the hands of mostly the inept deck crew, they were pretty easy going and nice. In fact I felt they shouldn't have tipped the crew, since the tips are divided equally. Not that a few of the crew didn't deserve it... but... yeah.

I am very much enjoying the fact that Kate has a subordinate that does their job well - aka, Josiah is a rockstar. I love seeing them work together, even if they have some less than professional catty sessions chatting about that nutter Caroline... I don't think I've ever seen Kate this happy overall on the past seasons... 

Overall I'm enjoying this season. Maybe it's the stark contrast to the shat show that was this past season of Below Deck Med, but, I'm rather enjoying original Below Deck this season. I hope most of this cast is back next season, sans Chandler, Caroline, and Rhylee...

• Love 15
2 hours ago, queenjen said:

The douchery and the fckery of Chandler has become legion. He goes down in Below Deck history and that's a big deal considering Kelley and Nico and the one that screwed Rocky in the laundry and denied it. 

I don't think Kelley was that bad; he had issues with exercising his authority, but he was otherwise ok and he got good work out of Lauren, Kyle and Nico. It's also fairly clear in hindsight that production was playing Kelley and Nico against each other.

Except for having sex with Rocky and lying about it, Eddie was a fantastic bosun. Both Eddie and Wes from Below Deck Med had girl issues. If you exclude those problems, they were absolutely fantastic bosun.

However, Nico was sullen, entitled, and actually awful. He had a ridiculously green crew, but he was clueless about how to lead them. Bryan was a misogynist who had 2/3rds of the deck crew ready to kill him; however, he wasn't a true bosun. He was a First Mate/bosun.

I'd also add Chandler to the dung heap. He's so very bad at his job and he's got an attitude. He didn't apologize to the guest. He had an attitude with Kate even after Lee told him to help Kate. Finally, he threw out the rest of that pig. If he's even half as familiar with yachting as he claims to be, he'd know that there are always going to be staff whose schedules are not conducive to eating the crew meal. That roast pig could have easily been turned into sandwiches for those crew members.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 17
49 minutes ago, bosawks said:

$20,000 seemed like a pretty generous tip when the staff managed to injure 20% of the guests.

I know! Not only did they get injured but they also got stranded with no provisions the day before.  Those had to be the nicest guests I've seen on this show.

• Love 16

Even though Chandler didn't technically drop the woman, her slipping was his fault.  He knows the score--these guests are (or should be assumed to be) nearly always somewhat intoxicated.  As he was taking her off the tender, he should have loudly and clearly stated that he was going to set her on the sand because the concrete was very slippery, and set her down far enough away from the pavement that she couldn't stick out her one leg and land on it.  But even if he did all of that and she still fell, he should have apologized anyway, just as a matter of good service.  And he most definitely should have seen to it that she got bandaged up and ice for her bruises, irrespective of who was truly at fault.  Nonetheless, had the whole incident happened to that beastly red head from BDM who declared that only dogs eat out of bowls, I probably would have laughed my ass off and given Chandler a medal.

From what has been presented across the BD/BDM universe, the third stew job is an entry level position, so I would think that Caroline would only have to have basics down and that boat safety course everyone has to take to work on a yacht in order to get the job. And it's not like she was plucked out of a crowd and dropped on the boat--she knew what kind of job she was getting into (and had at least 7 seasons of BDs to watch as a primer).  If she didn't know how to make a drink as simple as a Bloody Mary, there are many bartender aps she could have put on her phone to CYA.  Further, she could always ask the guests questions how they like their bloody marys (spicy, not, heavy on lemon, whatever).  Then again, shots with a twist and a simple tray of champagne seem to be reaches for her....

At least I now see why Jamie from BDM and Chandler are together: her love of chocolate milk and his love of chocolate ice cream must be something that overcomes his blatant ineptitude and disrespect for women.

• Love 18

WWII military slang....

Fucked Up Beyond Any Repair 

or

Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition/All Reason

.....which it would have been if they had any other charter guests than the ones they lucked into getting.  I can't believe the size of the tip they got but the guests seemed to enjoy everybody except Chandler.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, TeeMo said:

Hannah should watch tapes of Kate in this episode if she wants to improve her chief stew game. Kate was rightfully furious and exhausted after being left alone with Josiah to clean up the entire beach dinner but she stepped onto the yacht, immediately realized that Caroline was flailing around (again) and slapped a smile on her face and jumped in to get the guests what they needed. Then she sent Caroline off to do something she could handle (laundry), told Captain Lee she needed help, efficiently delegated all the remaining tasks to a deck crew grateful to finally have some direction, sent the appropriate people to bed and then wrapped the night up with a takedown of Chandler. As a manager myself, I was in awe of her skill in that moment and her ability to stay unruffled in front of the guests. Kate has a million and one issues but she is good at her job. 

This is why I will forever love Kate-who doesn't want to end their night with a takedown of an asshole who apparently can't hear your first please and demands a second?  (BTW Jamie tweeted that he treats her like a queen, so I guess she is ok with him talking down to other women)

I get very freaked out around broken glass-especially with children.  I had to spend 4 days in the hospital as a kid when I was diagnosed with diabetes and my roommate was a teenage girl who was having an operation to remove the sliver of glass that had gotten into her blood stream.  I remember her more than learning how to take shots.

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition also works  :)

I went back and made a couple of additions and corrections, including yours.

PaperTree, (below) absolutely,   I love a good one!

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

I very much liked Kate recognized the deckhands who had an early morning call and sent them to bed. I also noticed that Chandler didn't like that and that's when he went for his precious ice cream.

In keeping with the caption that said “I’m bweeding”: Master Chandwer didn’t get his ice cweem! Waaaahhhhh!

• Love 12

Captain Lee's Take on what went down in episode 8

I wish he had some for the last few episodes but I am glad he is back with this one. One of the reason, it seems, that Chandler is not gone yet is that Tahiti is more remote and finding replacements harder.

The Chandler section:

So let get on to Chandler. You have had freedom to manage and work your crew however you chose. But that is obviously not working for you. Why do you suppose that you are apologizing to almost everyone a lot? Do you not see that it’s because of all the mistakes that you are committing. You want to leave the boat first thing in the am to setup the beach dinner, but what are the guests to do all day while you’re doing that? No toys out, no activities for them to stay occupied while your doing the beach runs. Planning is what is not happening here and that is part of your job. After the meeting in the wheelhouse, your first response is to communicate to your crew is how this is making you look.  Well here’s a news flash, they didn’t do that to you, and you did it to yourself. It really pissed you off when you had to answer to Kate for a few hours after the beach dinner.  And you tell her that you’ll get to a task when you can. And why when we needed to go get the guests from the dock, didn’t you take the lead on that. Isn’t that what leaders do. The leftover roast pork, you were asked to find some containers to put it in to preserve it, but you just arbitrarily override that instruction and throw it away. Oh I get it, pissed because you didn’t get your ice cream on time. Time to suck it up cream puff. You don’t always get what you want, when you want it, just because you want it. I’m surprised I didn’t see a hissy fit thrown. This is wearing thin. A shame to see such talent wasted sir.

Edited by fifty8th
  • Love 21

Caroline may have raidoed to the crew about the glass, but did anyone respond? There’s no way Captain Lee would have let anyone, especially a child, walk onto the yacht if he heard. I couldn’t see Kate or Josiah risking that either.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

And apparently not even that because it was mentioned that it was disorganized more than once and that she kept losing people’s laundry. 

I could not be comfortable being on that boat with Caroline, not that she would put me in danger though her frazzled manner in handling the broken glass indicates that she isn’t good in an emergency, because she is such a bundle of frazzled nerves that the energy coming off of her would be super annoying to be around.

They also showed a tube of chapstick in the washer or dryer, so not only is she misplacing the clothes, but she's not checking pockets and ruining them too.  

Caroline's frazzled manner when asked for a glass of lemon water or iced tea indicate she wouldn't be good in an emergency.

2 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

Didn't the Captain order the deck crew back?  I remember thinking that was odd when I heard him do it. But there's no way I can watch that shitshow again to verify my impression.

ETA: OK, I  Went back and found the Captain's radio, at 32 minutes in......

"Chandler, Chandler, Lee.........I want you and everybody else in the boats to head back now.....leave 'em (the guests) there on the beach, I'm sending vans to pick 'em up."

When asked by Ross if they hould double check that nothing is... [garbled],  Chandler says "No, leave everything. Let's just get back."

I've been wondering if the father has been watching. Does he see his son as the inglorious fuckup that he is or is he one of those parents who supports their kid no matter what the truth is and only sees that those peons are not respecting his precious boy.

Yeah, the editing on this was very wonky. Caroline DID radio about the glass. Where were the rest of the crew and why didn't  they take steps to protect the guests.   Granted the mess was hers, but first things first - protect the guests.  I can almost see the director telling the mom, "OK, now if you'll just run the kids up these stairs......"

Chandler has been riding Rhylee's butt since day one.  It's almost as if he wants her gone so he can get another "swinging dick"* on his crew.  I am sure that being the asshat misogynist that he is, in his mind women have no place on a deck crew.

I get a special satisfaction knowing her having been a fishing boat captain must chap his hide bloody raw! 

ETA:  Come to think of it that's probably why he's being so hard on her, to prove he's the better man. LOLOLOL (cough, hack, wheeze)

* I'm still cracking up over the Captain's use of that phrase.

Rhylee's been an asshole with an attitude since day 1.  She's got a chip on her shoulder from always having to prove herself working her way up in a male dominated field, so it's understandable, but it doesn't make it right.  She's had problems with just about everyone on board and doesn't respect the chain of command.  Some may say it's justifiable in Chandler's case, but she's also had a problem being snotty with Kate more than once and Ashton and Ross have also complained about it.  She said this episode that she was having a hard time not putting Chandler in his place or something like that, but as low man on the totem pole, it isn't her job to do that.

1 hour ago, Lizzing said:

Even though Chandler didn't technically drop the woman, her slipping was his fault.  He knows the score--these guests are (or should be assumed to be) nearly always somewhat intoxicated.  As he was taking her off the tender, he should have loudly and clearly stated that he was going to set her on the sand because the concrete was very slippery, and set her down far enough away from the pavement that she couldn't stick out her one leg and land on it.  But even if he did all of that and she still fell, he should have apologized anyway, just as a matter of good service.  And he most definitely should have seen to it that she got bandaged up and ice for her bruises, irrespective of who was truly at fault.  Nonetheless, had the whole incident happened to that beastly red head from BDM who declared that only dogs eat out of bowls, I probably would have laughed my ass off and given Chandler a medal.

From what has been presented across the BD/BDM universe, the third stew job is an entry level position, so I would think that Caroline would only have to have basics down and that boat safety course everyone has to take to work on a yacht in order to get the job. And it's not like she was plucked out of a crowd and dropped on the boat--she knew what kind of job she was getting into (and had at least 7 seasons of BDs to watch as a primer).  If she didn't know how to make a drink as simple as a Bloody Mary, there are many bartender aps she could have put on her phone to CYA.  Further, she could always ask the guests questions how they like their bloody marys (spicy, not, heavy on lemon, whatever).  Then again, shots with a twist and a simple tray of champagne seem to be reaches for her....

At least I now see why Jamie from BDM and Chandler are together: her love of chocolate milk and his love of chocolate ice cream must be something that overcomes his blatant ineptitude and disrespect for women.

Caroline was shown looking at a phone while making drinks of some kind this episode, so I assume she was using an app or googling recipes, but we've seen her have trouble with tequila shots, iced tea, a glass of water, and squeezing orange juice.  There ain't an app in the world that'll help her.  She has problems when asked to do more than one thing at a time.  She can't figure out how to order and prioritize things and turns into a frazzled mess.  I think her head would explode if she tried to play a time management style game.

Caroline apologizing to the kid was creepy AF.  If I was that kid and was upset after just cutting my foot and Caroline came over with her nervous energy and held my head in place and forced kisses on me I'd be scared and crying.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

My point was that it was always going to be a tight timing issue given when the sun went down, they were only 10 minutes behind and the initial plan was to rush the on to the tinder and cut their time short, it just seemed common sense to give up on that plan as soon as they knew it couldn’t be navigated after dark which they knew at 2:30.

Agreed - if vans were an option, why make the crew (and guests) scurry for 1 hour (tops) on the beach, including arrival, dinner, dancers, and departure... why not plan in advance to let the clients stay there for 2 hours?  If it truly is about the client experience, that is.  I'll allow that they are new to the area -- perhaps one of the local off-camera boat crew informed Lee of the van alternative while they were underway and he jumped on it.

10 hours ago, Luciano said:

Ashton being so happy that he had to follow Kate's orders really endeared him to me. That and whistling while washing the dishes.  

I loved that too.  That was a man relaxed and happy to know what he was going to be doing for the next half hour, happy that his lame boss was about to face accountability for his shortcomings, and happy knowing that he was in the clear. And on camera being happy, cooperative, good humored, and in the clear.  

That's something Rhylee didn't seem to understand - the camera is the witness, so put your head down like your deckhand crewmates and let the chips fall for Chandler without making yourself come off bad.

10 hours ago, Irritable said:

I would like to know if Chandler told the woman he was setting her on the sand because the walkway was slippery.  If he did then the fall is on her for stepping on it anyway, he absolutely did not drop her.

I didn't go back to look, but immediately preceding that debacle a deckhand set a woman down and EXPLICITLY warned her that the walkway was too slick and that's why she was on the sand.  Now, that could have been Chandler and he simply forgot to mention it to woman #2, or it could have been Ashton following protocol to caution people of surrounding danger, or it could have been either one AFTER the first incident took place (but shown out of sequence).

3 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Kate is fast with service and accurate. But I don't think I've ever seen her run. Caroline runs everywhere. Yet somehow nothing is done right...except maybe cabins and folding laundry.  She shouldn't be on service.

There's a saying "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast." It really is true. Whenever I find myself flustered, I stop and say it aloud to myself and proceed calmly. Works like a charm!

• Love 13
12 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

I very much liked Kate recognized the deckhands who had an early morning call and sent them to bed. I also noticed that Chandler didn't like that and that's when he went for his precious ice cream.

One example of what makes Kate such a good chief stew. She sees a big picture. The entire picture.  And she works. Jumps right in and works.I will add, she may have not taken all this so well if she did not have a great cohort and team mate in Josiah.

• Love 12
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I can’t believe Chandler threw all that roast pig out instead of doing as Kate suggested and found some Tupperware. He can not do anything correctly.

Oh, I knew it was coming the minute she mentioned saving it.  

Even though Chandler didn't technically drop the woman, her slipping was his fault.  He knows the score--these guests are (or should be assumed to be) nearly always somewhat intoxicated.  As he was taking her off the tender, he should have loudly and clearly stated that he was going to set her on the sand because the concrete was very slippery, and set her down far enough away from the pavement that she couldn't stick out her one leg and land on it.  But even if he did all of that and she still fell, he should have apologized anyway, just as a matter of good service.  And he most definitely should have seen to it that she got bandaged up and ice for her bruises, irrespective of who was truly at fault.  

This, totally this.  Also, have you ever been carrying something that you just weren't quite strong enough to carry far (not trying to imply the guest was heavy, just that Chandler was not quite up to the task!) and, especially if your own footing was not very steady (on sand under water, for example), you sort of staggeringly put down/drop/slide it down you?  I think he didn't put her down very firmly on the sand, in addition to not warning her about the slipperiness, so she almost had to step sideways just to get her own balance.    Also, Ashton was there and said Chandler dropped her.  

So Josiah's niece is literally named Primrose?  It's a pretty name for a flower but seems weird for a kid.  Unless it was his nickname for her.  

Can anyone explain what a "drop towel" is and why a towel had the word "drop" on it in Sharpie?  Is it towels that have been retired from regular use?  I think Chandler thinks "drop towel" means "wave this roll in Rhylee's face."

Sure, Rhylee's temper has been flashed at Kate and others--but she apologized to Kate at least.  Between her and Chandler, I'm on her side. 

Edited by Jobiska
Remembered more stuff
  • Love 13

Regarding Rhylee, why did Chandler have a deck team meeting without her? His communication with her is the worst and her exclusion proves why. He doesn't want to deal with her which includes giving her the same set of instructions he gives his other crew members. He is absolutely setting her up to fail. Granted, her attitude does not help the situation but I can't entirely blame her when he's pinning every issue on her.  I probably would have also flipped if he stood in front of me with a towel and asked "what does this say?" like he's my dad. He never would have done that to Ross or Ashton.  He just automatically blames and shames the only female member of the deck crew.  I guess he thinks she should go be a glorified housekeeper with Kate. I will say though, from everything we have seen, she is a hard worker and she's very good with the guests. She just needs to move along the learning curve about boat hierarchy or talk to Captain Lee and call it a day. 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

Regarding Rhylee, why did Chandler have a deck team meeting without her? His communication with her is the worst and her exclusion proves why. He doesn't want to deal with her which includes giving her the same set of instructions he gives his other crew members. He is absolutely setting her up to fail. Granted, her attitude does not help the situation but I can't entirely blame her when he's pinning every issue on her.  I probably would have also flipped if he stood in front of me with a towel and asked "what does this say?" like he's my dad. He never would have done that to Ross or Ashton.  He just automatically blames and shames the only female member of the deck crew.  I guess he thinks she should go be a glorified housekeeper with Kate. I will say though, from everything we have seen, she is a hard worker and she's very good with the guests. She just needs to move along the learning curve about boat hierarchy or talk to Captain Lee and call it a day. 

Well, if Chandler included Rhylee in the meeting, then she may ask questions in order for her to fully comprehend what Chandler and Captain Lee want from her.  And Chandler can't have that.  Chandler cannot see that Rhylee's attitude would improve if she actually had any idea what was expected of her.  I totally get her frustration. I have worked with some bad managers before, but never one like Chandler.  

• Love 22
31 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

I guess he thinks she should go be a glorified housekeeper with Kate. 

As long as she didn't get in the way of his ice cream! What other place is there for a mere female?

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 4

It is obvious why Chandler and Rhylee were cast together. Instant fireworks. While Chandler has been a very poor leader, while having two of the best deckhands we have ever seen ( Ross and Ashton), Rhylee is not blameless here. She has an hair trigger. I absolutely hate when people demand respect. For what ? Who are you ? Go out and deserve it. Now thats about Chandler. As for Rhylee, she should have learned by now ( 4-5 charters in) she will not get much from Chandler. Keep you head down and take notes. But there is nothing that is said to her that she does not have a defensive answer for. It is tiring. She is getting support from Ross, Ashton and Captain. Grin and bear it. You are there for big tips. You will have all the time in the world to point out Chandlers flaws, on social media and beyond, later.

I find her need to be right and her defensiveness tiresome. From what charter guess have posted, she is great with the guest. They dont show enough of that. But arguing loudly with other crew members is just unnecessary chest pounding.

• Love 12

If I wasn't already a Kate fan, this episode would have convinced me. Instead of being the whiny, incompetent, scattered twerp that Caroline is, she should be trying to focus and learn something about good service from Kate. 

Kate is the sort of leader that inspires and motivates through her actions and role modelling. When problems arise, she doesn't ruffle up, she just pushes through and tries harder to impress the guests. 

Josiah and her are a great team. No wonder the guests were relieved to have her come back to serve them instead of Caroline.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, missyb said:

It is obvious why Chandler and Rhylee were cast together. Instant fireworks. While Chandler has been a very poor leader, while having two of the best deckhands we have ever seen ( Ross and Ashton), Rhylee is not blameless here. She has an hair trigger. I absolutely hate when people demand respect. For what ? Who are you ? Go out and deserve it. Now thats about Chandler. As for Rhylee, she should have learned by now ( 4-5 charters in) she will not get much from Chandler. Keep you head down and take notes. But there is nothing that is said to her that she does not have a defensive answer for. It is tiring. She is getting support from Ross, Ashton and Captain. Grin and bear it. You are there for big tips. You will have all the time in the world to point out Chandlers flaws, on social media and beyond, later.

I find her need to be right and her defensiveness tiresome. From what charter guess have posted, she is great with the guest. They dont show enough of that. But arguing loudly with other crew members is just unnecessary chest pounding.

By now, the producers are probably egging her on to be “assertive” and loud.

That is certainly a way to get screen time.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BodhiGurl said:

I thought this set of charter guests had to be one of the best any of the BD shows have had. Given all the f' ups they had to deal with at the hands of mostly the inept deck crew, they were pretty easy going and nice. In fact I felt they shouldn't have tipped the crew, since the tips are divided equally. Not that a few of the crew didn't deserve it... but... yeah.

I am very much enjoying the fact that Kate has a subordinate that does their job well - aka, Josiah is a rockstar. I love seeing them work together, even if they have some less than professional catty sessions chatting about that nutter Caroline... I don't think I've ever seen Kate this happy overall on the past seasons... 

I was wondering if the primaries could have simply gone around and given tips directly to those they wanted to tip, that's what I would have done at that point in time, given all the fuck ups. I honestly dont understand why Captain Lee doesn't dock some of them their tips when their performance and behavior is abysmal.

Last night Mr. Gingerella said he didn't think he could watch this show anymore because it's become so insufferable, and then Kate uttered "Flesh wounds are not five-star" and I said, 'This is why I watch this show now, for the Kate quips.' Honestly, she and Josaih are the only reason to watch.

As for who goes home, it's a toss up between Chandler, Rhylee and Caroline, and as much as I want it to be Chandler, I think Caroline is more of a liability because she's batshit crazy and is the sort to make up shit and try to sue someone. And I dont buy the excuse that Captain hasnt fired Chandler because it's hard to get a bosun to come to Tahiti...the fuck?!? Any good bosun would probably wet themselves to go to Tahiti even if its as a replacement. Hell, I'd rather see asshole Eddie than this Chandler twerp. Chandler definitely has an issue with women in authority positions, how sad in this day and age. I wonder if his father did as well because he seems to indicate that he got everything he knows from dear old dad.

• Love 3