Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

jamesddog30
  • Start Topic

Season 5 of "60 Days In" locks down an Arizona Detention Center with 7 Participants on a mission for change premiering Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 10 PM ET/PT.
This season has new stakes, new twists and seven innocent participants including one “lone wolf” who shakes up the program.

More information:

In the new season of “60 Days In,” Sheriff Mark Lamb of the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office in Arizona carefully selected seven innocent people to go undercover for a deep dive into the inner workings of his facility. Unlike in past seasons, the participants – ranging from a police officer, a private investigator and even an ex-Latin King turned minister -, were given specific missions by the sheriff. In a jail with problems stemming from drugs, gangs and operational issues, Sheriff Lamb assigned separate objectives based on each individual’s skill sets and interests, in order to best help the facility uncover flaws and evoke change. Prior to going in, six of the participants met and trained with one another, leaving only one to enter on his own and operate as a “lone wolf” on the sheriff’s behalf. Throughout their time in jail, the participants faced growing suspicions and violent threats, but they were deeply committed to fulfilling their missions. In an unexpected turn, one rogue participant threatened to blow the whole program, leaving their fellow participants in an extremely dangerous position.

You can view a sneak peek here: https://youtu.be/zULNp5aFZbk.

Source: https://tvshowscancelled.com/60-days-in-renewed-for-season-5-the-first-48-expands-with-spinoff-homicide-squad-atlanta/

• Love 4

Just finished the first episode. Standard 60 Days In fare. 

I like the ex Latin king.  His story so far makes sense and he has the bravado of a banger. From the scenes to come, he does look like he gets physical, which would be in character, but scary. 

I haven't seen much of the cop besides his orientation discussion. He walks hard and tall so time will tell. 

The heavy guy.  Man, they always gotta bring in the sad sack. We didn't see much of him yet. 

What was the play with the blue braids thing! Asshole! I'm just a dumb ol Latina and i know enough to not make myself a gang target! Sheeeees. I like her so far after she got rid of the blue. 

Ex military lady.  Hmmmm. While i liked that the cop walked tall and hard, i don't like it on her. It seems like it will take a toll once she's in. 

The lone wolf.  What a freak.  He's definitely the one who'll screw it up for everyone!

Finally... the blond, right wing,  "jail is too soft" lady! I loved that the admins gave her grief over her stupid dress for intake! "I did it for the tv aspect..." bahahaha you are just begging to be shanked, aren't you? I bet the guards hate her already! I can't wait! 

I hate the "missions" they've been given. I think it's an unnecessary add in, but time will tell. 

• Love 16

God damn  is there some Poorer-Man’s Ann Coulter Factory where they churn these Shock-and-Awwww Barbies out?

Since she probably believes in reverse racism anyway, Ima just set it up for her: why do these ignorant female right-wing talking empty heads who don’t get that, if they weren’t getting attention for spouting their offensive shit, their misogynistic male counterparts wouldn’t allow them in positions where they could talk (or be on top) ever, all look alike?

Is it wrong that I’m hoping her stay is the farthest from a cakewalk we’ve ever seen on this show or Lockup?

Of course (hurting my brain, trying to think like a Right Wing Barbie does (or doesn’t)), then she’ll probably come away from it with the argument that “they” are all animals, and yay for more jails to keep ‘em locked up... and we need a magic-mirror Wall. Damned confirmation bias (which I clearly lack): it’s gonna be damned if they beat her down and damned if they don’t. What to do, what to wish for?

Eh, if she’s gonna come away feelingly justifiably Right no matter what happens, I guess I’ll go with the version that results in the most bodily harm for her. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

Blonde lady will end up friendly with white Aryan resistance... Maybe even come out as a skinhead. Lol

Bet she gets romantic with another inmate ;)

• Love 2

So far: the Sherriff seems a lil too Murica for me. 

I think the former Latin King will do well. I love how he schooled Jail Barbie and her visualizations. I can't wait until someone knocks the smug mug off her face in there. 

Jazmyn will be interesting to watch I think. 

Steve screams "paid actor" 

The cop who became a cop to avoid harassment from cops? That's rich lol

• Love 8
On 1/4/2019 at 2:09 PM, hatchetgirl said:

What was the play with the blue braids thing! Asshole! I'm just a dumb ol Latina and i know enough to not make myself a gang target! Sheeeees. I like her so far after she got rid of the blue. 

Finally... the blond, right wing,  "jail is too soft" lady! I loved that the admins gave her grief over her stupid dress for intake! "I did it for the tv aspect..." bahahaha you are just begging to be shanked, aren't you? I bet the guards hate her already! I can't wait! 

I think since she's from New Orleans and not an actual inmate she likely didn't think twice about the blue hair. I didn't even really think about it myself until the guatd poinyed it out.

I also delighted in seeing Jail Barbie being told to put on some yoga pants 😂

• Love 5
11 hours ago, SlutAssBitchAssHor said:

So far: the Sherriff seems a lil too Murica for me. 

Yeah. He came across a helluva lot more organized for this show compared to his 2 predecessors, but his guns and god spiel made me audibly groan. 

I'm a bit curious as to their selections. It sounds like one shouldn't so much as speak to someone of a different race in the jail, yet these people are supposed to rely on each other? Don't get me wrong, I love the diversity. But it won't make it easy for any of them to have another participant's back if something goes down. Not that it makes me weep for blondie. I doubt the other 2 ladies want to associate with her at all anyway. I'm white and I wouldn't. 

Anyone else notice that we didn't hear the usual speech that the participants will catch charges if they do anything illegal? We usually hear that a dozen times an episode! 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Squirrely said:

1 hour ago, Squirrely said:

Yeah. He came across a helluva lot more organized for this show compared to his 2 predecessors, but his guns and god spiel made me audibly groan. 

I'm a bit curious as to their selections. It sounds like one shouldn't so much as speak to someone of a different race in the jail, yet these people are supposed to rely on each other? Don't get me wrong, I love the diversity. But it won't make it easy for any of them to have another participant's back if something goes down. Not that it makes me weep for blondie. I doubt the other 2 ladies want to associate with her at all anyway. I'm white and I wouldn't. 

Anyone else notice that we didn't hear the usual speech that the participants will catch charges if they do anything illegal? We usually hear that a dozen times an episode! 

I think this guy has a whatever it takes mentality so he might turn a blind eye to illegal activity if it gets him the info he wants.

It *might* be a little less gang-y in the women's unit but the men definitely wont be seen chopping it up between races. Scott the Actor may try ot just to start shit.

Edited by SlutAssBitchAssHor
Double quoted
  • Love 1

I think since she's from New Orleans and not an actual inmate she likely didn't think twice about the blue hair. I didn't even really think about it myself until the guatd poinyed it out.

I guess, but she was called in for the "gang" mission.  She doesn't know blue and red? Hasn't watched the movie Colors? Has she seen the show? I would probably read at least 1 jail article is i was going into such a foreign place. Heck, when i travel, i TRY to gear up for the area i'm going. 

On 1/4/2019 at 2:09 PM, hatchetgirl said:

I loved that the admins gave her grief over her stupid dress for intake! "I did it for the tv aspect..."

If she were doing it for the "TV aspect" she might have wanted to spend more than $12 on that cheap dress and even cheaper pair of shoes. 

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

If she were doing it for the "TV aspect" she might have wanted to spend more than $12 on that cheap dress and even cheaper pair of shoes. 

I couldn’t believe she actually SAID it. Like, let’s be honest: I think most of us (if we somehow simultaneously possessed most of our current brains while lacking the part that says, “Ain’t enough money in the world to get me to do this shit”) would want to come in to the first meeting looking “good” for TV (I mean, it’s not Survivor: hopefully even these chucklefuck producers aren’t so crazy that they’re gonna surprise-maroon you and arrest you directly from Day 1 of training, so you let the audience know you’re cute before you go in and then make yourself up appropriately crappy* for Go Directly to Jail day).

But, you don’t actually say dat shit out loud: you say, I’m sorry, Sherriff Godsnguns: I guess I was thinking of training as a time to be dressed more professionally* and of course expected to dress more casually or per your instructions to best fit my cover story for my “arrest.”

*Not that she was dressed business-casual, but still. Otoh, can’t people who are REALLY being arrested end up getting brought to jail in everything from pajamas to [walking-the-]streets-wear to an evening gown, based on when, where, and why they’re brought in? None of them are doing the report-to-jail thing; they’re supposedly getting arrested and being booked directly; it doesn’t seem absurd to me that someone would get booked in a nice, or crappy, little black dress. It seems more important that they appear in a way that fits their cover story. 

(Most of  which I guess we don’t know yet, so maybe yoga pants is specific to MAGA Barbie’s jail character, but—while I’m happy for them to call her out on anything—it seems like there was either some serious context missing, or it was just weird. She’s gonna be in stripes or whatever jail costumes they have there by the time she hits the pod anyway).  

But she was still a double-plus idiot for straight-up admitting it was “for the TV aspect”: now Sheriff Godnguns knows she’s there for famewhore ops AND has to worry about her ability to think on her feet (lie) while in jail.  

(Maybe it’s foreshadowing that she’s the one who blows it, ‘cuz she doesn’t know what to say if it’s not repeating exactly what she’s been told to say by production or Breitbart?  Lying SHOULD come easily to her if she really follows the mold of her apparent role models, but that stupidly honest response makes me question whether she possesses the necessary skills of manipulation and bullshitting that this gig—or whatever “reality” show she was hoping to land—requires).

Edited by methadonna
Accidental html
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

I guess, but she was called in for the "gang" mission.  She doesn't know blue and red? Hasn't watched the movie Colors? Has she seen the show? I would probably read at least 1 jail article is i was going into such a foreign place. Heck, when i travel, i TRY to gear up for the area i'm going. 

I'm like you, super prepared lol. I dont think they knew what their missions were at that first meeting but yeah she may just be in over her head of she doesnt know the basics.

• Love 2

I think this is going to be a good season. I really enjoyed episode 2. The 3 who are in seem to be handling it all very well so far. I'm the least violent person on the planet but I found myself thoroughly entertained while watching Abner strut his stuff. 

Cop guy (Abner's name is the only one I remember at this point) is thinking on his feet as well. He was smart enough not to jump at the offer of a sheet right away. Hope he doesn't find himself seriously indebted to the boss guy, but refusing it again may have been insulting and a bad move. 

The PI guy is going to annoy, though, maybe even more than Barbie. 

Edited by Squirrely
Autocorrect
  • Love 3

I’m surprised this show is still on after what happened last season.

I don’t like the bounty hunter, I get the feeling he wants a reality show out of this.

There are more prison shows than 60Days In.  I think of those Lockup shows on MSNBC.

• Love 3

I couldn’t stand Right Wing Barbie Brooke when she first introduced herself. But then when she described herself as too pretty for jail, that was it; I hope she gets punched daily while in jail. 

I like Abner (ex Latin King) and David.

I like Jazmyn, too, but how could she leave those adorable kids for 2 months????? 

Someone above said the private investigator  is the one who is going to blow their cover and I agree!!! He is an ass. He will kill some innocent person with his home booby traps or shoot his wife dead after mistaking her for an intruder one day and he will go to prison for real someday. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

My first season watching. Here for Sheriff Lamb. (Live pd fan) Question: how do they have the interviews with the regular prisoners ( talking heads) without them knowing they are filming a tv show?

✋Live PD fan here too!  I love me some Sheriff Lamb and it's the only reason I'm watching this season. 

The cop...Lord have mercy, that man is fine😜!  

• Love 6

I forget which group it was, but there was someone in the jail (prisoner) talking about the video cameras and saying it could be 60 Days In... that was right after one of these new folks came into the unit.  I wonder how production felt about that and what, if anything, they will do about it. 

• Love 3

I wonder if David (the cop from Ohio) will return to policing once the 60 days are up. I can’t help but be generally curious about it because of Alan’s choice (last season) to not return to work as a law enforcement officer.

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 2

Boy, that blond one seems to be jealous the other two in her pod are getting all the attention. I really do think she is there just to be on tv. I am shocked at the things she says about the other inmates. She obviously thinks those things but to actually say them out loud,just wow.

• Love 7

has any one else noticed that Mr. I got trip wires on my property that will blow your head off, and I a bounty hunty is basically crapping his pants and trying to get out out asap even if it means endangering all other participants. did they not vet him at all? hes just a big pussy.

• Love 8

Bounty hunter guy is creeptastically bad! He's in the 3, what,  30 minutes? I think i'd let him sweat. I'd say on the phone "feel free, light it up brother!" 

I like abner, but he's getting far too involved in politics. 

The girls.  Sigh. I think they are fine. The women do seem to buddy up and mix around, so i don't think it's a big deal but blondie is driving me batty. I just can't stand her. 

I knew racism runs jail but dang it's so freaking in your face. Wow! 

• Love 5

I hope whoever Steve's former clients are didn't pay much. He got one piece of information and acts like he solved the issue of drugs in jail single-handedly his first day. I agree that he's probably just scared and wants to go home.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

New episode last night, night before? and no one here to bitch about it? Oy. This show.... so much potential for snark. So, anyway, Steve the PI got pulled out and we didn't get to see his ass-chewing by the Sheriff. Damn, I was looking forward to that. And then Nerdy White Guy tried to start a Bible Study but no one showed up. "Gone Full Chulo" guy is letting his prison ego take him back over, but "I'm a Cop so Cops Won't Harass Me" Black Guy thinks he's organizing the disorganized? I admit to being confused about some of what's going on (working on computer while half-watching). Blonde Barbie doesn't like other participants messing with her game. Former Blue Hair Braid lady is threatening to fight everybody because someone used her phone minutes. Then there's the 3rd lady, the former Army & Navy vet who I can't remember what happened with her. Really, we needed Steve the PI to get chewed oout on the show for some closure. Everyone else is just... problematic.

• Love 5
On 1/13/2019 at 12:11 PM, Giant Misfit said:

The only things Brook has in common with Barbie: her hair color. the cold, dead eyes, and lack of soul. 

Plastic maybe?

I'm totally confused about so much of what's happening in this show.  I think the problem is I have trouble understanding what most  of the people are saying.

For instance, why in the hell did Mark request the TV channel be changed when he wasn't even watching it?  I wouldn't think he would ever intentionally stir the pot, but apparently I'm mistaken.  Did someone tell him to do it?  I felt kinda sad that nobody wanted to attend his Bible study.

Bounty hunter guy, I'm glad you're gone.  Didn't like anything about you.  He got SO excited when he found out something about the drugs, so much so that he was ready to bust the whole thing wide open, or that could have been just talk.  They might have attacked him if they all find out at the same time.  But I would like to have seen Lamb confront him on his idiotic behavior.

Until she found out she'd lost her phone minutes, Jasmine seemed to be having the time of her life, like it was summer camp.  Did you notice that Barbie calls her "Jasmeen" and not "Jasmine"?  Barbie is as idiot and is not nearly as pretty as she thinks she is.  I don't think she's pretty at all, but that's not the type of woman I find attractive.

Is  Rocker mad at David?  Seems like he was raking him over the coals but I don't know why.  And I have no idea what's going on with  Abner.

This is my least favorite cast out of all the seasons so far.  No one person interests me.

Still, I persist.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

It was so rich when Barbie was rolling her eyes at Jazmyn after Jazmyn had her PIN and phone money stolen. "Five bucks, pfft, big deal." Then someone steals her soap and shampoo and she's all indignant and telling the CO--who of course replies, "What do you want me to do about it?" You have to admire the complete lack of self-awareness with which she said (I'm paraphrasing, but barely), "It was dumb and trifling when Jazmyn had her stuff taken from her, but now that it's happened to me, this shit's gotta stop!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I’m paraphrasing, but the Superfan (Mark) during his talking head:

”I need to be the hero! How would Zach or Nate handle this situation?”

What happened to this show?

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 2
On 2019-01-25 at 3:28 PM, slasherboy said:

Plastic maybe?

I'm totally confused about so much of what's happening in this show.  I think the problem is I have trouble understanding what most  of the people are saying.

For instance, why in the hell did Mark request the TV channel be changed when he wasn't even watching it?  I wouldn't think he would ever intentionally stir the pot, but apparently I'm mistaken.  Did someone tell him to do it?  I felt kinda sad that nobody wanted to attend his Bible study.

Bounty hunter guy, I'm glad you're gone.  Didn't like anything about you.  He got SO excited when he found out something about the drugs, so much so that he was ready to bust the whole thing wide open, or that could have been just talk.  They might have attacked him if they all find out at the same time.  But I would like to have seen Lamb confront him on his idiotic behavior.

Until she found out she'd lost her phone minutes, Jasmine seemed to be having the time of her life, like it was summer camp.  Did you notice that Barbie calls her "Jasmeen" and not "Jasmine"?  Barbie is as idiot and is not nearly as pretty as she thinks she is.  I don't think she's pretty at all, but that's not the type of woman I find attractive.

Is  Rocker mad at David?  Seems like he was raking him over the coals but I don't know why.  And I have no idea what's going on with  Abner.

This is my least favorite cast out of all the seasons so far.  No one person interests me.

Still, I persist.

Mark was told that the Whites controlled the TV that day, so he fell for the trap and controlled it. It was all a set up to make him look foolish.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2019 at 7:12 PM, Neurochick said:

Why do the men segregate themselves by race yet the women don’t?

Are there less participants this season? 

I want to like this more then I do because I really like prison docuseries like Lockup.  Although jails don’t officially segregated (you will see all races bedding down together)  male inmates tend to segregate for safety sake.    Women don’t for unclear reason but mostly because they tend to be more social even on the inside so race doesn’t always play a factor.

As for the number of participants.  There was one guy who heard a couple of inmates bragging about how they got drugs into the prison on Like day one and instead of investigating he called it in and threatened to out everyone unless he was pulled.   

On 1/28/2019 at 8:42 AM, hoosiermom said:

I feel as confused as the rest of you. It appears to me that some of the “60 dayers” are becoming more criminal acting than than the true criminals. And, it does not seem to be an act to get info.

I think they are all actually doing a good job.  The first season had the sherif get pissy if they traded for a second tray of food.  I always thought the guy lost the plot and didn’t get that these people are actually trying to get close to the inmates so it means acting like inmates.  Maybe getting tapped for second in command is dangerous but he hasn’t actually committed a felony just told other inmates to do what they had to do to keep the place running smooth.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Say what you will about the guys and their increasingly problematic spirals into jail life. They are at least getting to know the inmates and the way shit works. I don't think the women have made any inroads at all except pissing off the staff.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

He was brought in as a "lone wolf". He doesn't know who the other inmates are. 

Well nuts. There go my super sleuthing skills and puts a light on my “not paying close enough attention to the show” skills. But he did know the show was filming there right? Or did I miss that too?

Edited by hoosiermom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

This was the first episode that anything really interesting happened this season. Two fights: one instigated by a participant (don’t pretend you didnt push Amber, Vivian) and one actually involving a participant. 

On other forums people keep feeling sorry for the “kid” AB hits, but it looks like he has multiple arrests for beating up and even strangling (!) his girlfriend, yet no prison time which is unfortunately common for domestic abusers. 

• Love 3
On 1/25/2019 at 4:12 PM, Neurochick said:

Why do the men segregate themselves by race yet the women don’t?

I find this fascinating, myself.

My current conclusion, (subject to change upon discovery of new and/or compelling evidence) is as follows:

In order to pass the time, men create uberAlphaman drama.  Divided by “race”, ruled by hierarchy, etc.  The “wood” -in- charge created a “council” to handle and enforce “wood” rules.  I can’t take any of that seriously, especially when they end up killing each other over being “disrespected” by another race.

Women, on the other hand, don’t need to segregate by race/create rules with an established hierarchy of enforcers and whatnot to have a day full of drama.  It’s just there when they all wake up like morning dew.

• Love 7

If Abner says "I'm the enforcer" one. more. time ..... well, I don't know what I'll do, but it's irking me to no end.  He's become just a bit too "inmate" if you ask me, which you didn't, but still.  Can he get in trouble for real for whooping up on that young guy?  Looks like assault to me.

Seems like David has absolutely ingratiated himself within the pod and comes off as totally legit.

Mark continues to stick out like a sore thumb.  What is his crime supposed to be?  I don't think I know what any of their crimes are, and if anybody knows, I'd appreciate a quick explanation, thankyouverymuch.

The women all seem to be fitting in quite nicely as well.  Barbie maybe not as much, but I believe Jasmyne could stay there indefinitely and be happy as a clam.

All that said, I find this season to be boring as hell.  I've enjoyed all the previous seasons, but this one just leaves me cold.  Remember one of the early seasons where one of the women (real inmate, not a participant) flung herself off the second level trying to kill herself?  Now THAT'S good TV!  (no disrespect to the woman).

But I'll keep watching.

• Love 5